9.0

1. Feb 21, 2011
  2. Feb 22, 2011
    A Christopher Nolan's masterpiece, complex narrative is skillfully executed, keeping audiences guessing. Overall it's up to us, our interpretation, it's not just about the evidences
  3. Mar 3, 2012
    Another of my all-time favorites. Deep, compelling and always toeing the line of audaciousness. Great cast, genuinely original and watchable a dozen times over. A masterpiece that got swept under the rug years ago, shamefully.... An absolute must-watch!!!
  4. Nov 29, 2010
    I now know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan movies. The characters are lifeless. They are not real people. There is no vulnerability, no character development, the dialogue is static and robotic. No real person speaks like that. I can see the intention to create depths in the characters, but this is clearly not the way to do it. This movie is just nauseating to watch. From minute one, you see that the main character's hair is dyed...you wonder why that is. The way everyone looks is always...too deep, unreal, like they are on drugs, not connected to the real world. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2013
    OK, you didn't expect that! Every way of the film, you think you know what's going to happen but you don't! it's got the right pace, right amount of suspense, and a brilliant twist. Christopher Nolan was making sure he was someone we should certainly pay attention to.
  6. Jun 2, 2012
    An intelligent suspense thriller with enough attention to detail to merit repeat viewings. Splendid acting. Excellent score. Fantastic balance between violence, dialogue, and mystery. It really does a great job of presenting the story in a nontraditional unchronological way. I have yet to see another brainy feature such as this.
  7. Aug 13, 2010
    Memento was a smart, clever and suspenful film that truly deserves its accolades as a cerebral thriller and classic. I absolutely loved it! It was Christopher Nolan's third best film behind The Dark Knight and Inception. A 10/10.
  8. Aug 13, 2010
    Memento is not the first film by Christopher Nolan but itâ
  9. Oct 9, 2010
    The planning this film must of taken must of been long and extensive for this is a complicated,calculated yet incredibly successful script. So clever and so revolutionary if Nolan had not nailed this we may not have seen him take on the big money films later on. This is confident cinema that comes at you fully in the face. My only criticism is that it requires the upmost attention most of time,something you can't manage later on in the day. Apart from that, it's a Nolan essential. Expand
  10. Sep 27, 2010
    memento is one of christopher nolans best for me i loved the idea of a film being played backwards its what really gets to me and why i love this film unfortunatley i gave it an 8 because the story line could have been a little improved like if the main character has a loss of memory why is it that he nows that and why is it that the people he tells arent surprised of this other than that and a few things it was an amazing film oh and by the way a fantastic twist Expand
  11. Feb 2, 2011
    This is a movie with a "twist" but it doesn't put one in just to have a twist ... it's a part of the whole story, and somehow makes the whole weird story seem more real.
  12. Jan 15, 2011
    well, this was complex man..great directing and storytelling. nice performance form Pearce, and i surely didn't expect an ending like it. it was genius really. it made me so confusing but i figured it out with the ending. unlike inception. so, a great movie, if you like watching dramas and mysteries then this is the one. OK?
  13. Jan 2, 2011
    Perplexing, Chilling, Stunning, Riveting--- following more puzzlement---- accompany this piece of work and paints a masterpiece of film-making with such precision that it requires multiple viewings just to make sense of it all. The ultimate thriller for the patient of mind.
  14. Oct 13, 2011
    Awesome movie Ill give it a 9.3 (9 in meta critic ). incredible story, cool actors and very emotional. This a movie. Christopher nolan you are the best!!!
  15. Jul 31, 2011
    Christopher's best movie till date.Absolutely drop-dead brilliant. You just don't see film-making like this anymore. Christopher Nolan is the genius we"ve all been waiting for. Welcome to the second revival of great film-makers. It feels good.
  16. Apr 16, 2011
    By no means a perfect film, but it's genius lies in making the audience live the movie as though we share the main character's inability to remember.
  17. May 27, 2011
    I normally love Christopher Nolan films but memento was the worst film he has made in my opinion. Instead of his usual brilliance I found memento to be mediocre. But I did like the way that all the characters were reviled to be connected and not as they seem at the end. This however does not make up for the fact that there is no attachment between the viewer and the characters by the end of the film leaving the viewer unsatisfied and thinking the story could have been made a much shorter length. Expand
  18. Sep 12, 2011
    Leonard Shelby-"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."

Christopher Nolan once
    again creates one of the most mind bending and thrilling movie that has to be one of the greatest experiance you will have on film history. Memento is a confusing but a clever and unique movie that will blow your mind just by a few minutes into the movie. This Movie also relates to Insomnia and Inception, meaning the filming (using random flashbacks and using some sort of strange vision, like filming backwards or extreme close-ups).Christopher Nolan also brings back the looks and characters to his later movies, Like the name Kobb from Followin, might refer to Dom "Cobb" from Inception and the looks of Teddy and Catherine from Memento to Gordon (Batman Begins and Dark Knight) and Maul (Inception). Memento is based on the short story, Memento Mori, witch Guy Pearce Dominates in this classic thriller playing Leonard, a man with short-term memory loss that wakes up in a random room, not knowing what's going on, until looking at his body. tattoos fill up his chest with one saying "JOHN G. RAPED AND MURDERED MY WIFE", and the rest saying facts leading up to the murderer. He also finds his Polaroid pictures, one with a guy with glasses and a mustache, named Teddy, and other pictures of information. Everyday he has to go through the same thing, so you gotta feel bad for the guy. For the rest, you probably have to find out the stuff yourself. I love how Nolan takes control of his movies like this, I guess he wants everything to be good, and he did a pretty good job doing so. He creates the most innovated dramas that nobody can miss, and thats why he goes right up to one of my favorite directors. Thuis movie is also filmed in different time periods like Following, except playing the parts of the movie backwards, making the beginning actually the ending. If this movie is too confusing for you, the ending will sum it all up for you, then you can watch it the second time to try to pick up info, like I did, and boy was I confused. Expand
  19. Jul 19, 2011
    The creative plot-line and story are the highlights of Christopher Nolan's film. He took what could have been an average story and made it really stand-out with his daring plot devices. The cinematographic elements are of above-average quality, while the screenplay gives it's best fight at ruining the film altogether (aka the constant narration). It is an entertaining piece, could've been excellent with a few tweaks in the way of dialogue. (Officially I would give a 6.5, but that is not an option). Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2011
    I cannot believe how well this movie was put together. The potential it had to be repetitive, a la "Groundhog's Day," was totally obliterated by Christopher Nolan's excellent storytelling. Nolan's first of a long line of accomplishments.
  21. Jan 30, 2012
    At first I was like What's going on? But then it hit me. The movie is getting told backwards. And it's doing it in such a great way. So imaginative. Just wanting to see what's going to happen next and how he did get there.
  22. Feb 22, 2013
    th movie makes such excellent use of it's plot device, that it's hard not to praise. i couldn't believe how difficult it was to play a movie back in time. everyone has to see it just for that.
  23. Sep 28, 2011
    Someone must tell to Christopher Nolan that is important that the characters of his movie must have a story or may be try to explain why are they there
  24. Oct 28, 2011
    So the "innovative" concept of filming out of sequence has been cliche for at least a few years now, but here's a film that makes it work far better than its been shown in a while.

Sir Nolan mixed confusion, uncertainty, and paranoia as an art form and it went on splendidly. If I told you the entire plot of this film it really wouldn't matter as it is an exquisite paean to the
    subjectivity of memory and therefore is in itself ambiguous; the â Expand
  25. Dec 5, 2011
    This is one of Nolan's best films in his career. A film that keeps you thinking about who did what or what happened that caused this. The fact that this film is not in chronological order makes it worth its genre of being a mystery. Although some of the scenes are worth looking over to actually understand the movie much better. The story to this movie is superb though, just a lack of understanding the movie is its downfall. Otherwise great film, good acting, and terrific writing. A movie to see before you die. Expand
  26. Dec 16, 2011
    Unusual way of telling a story, that's for sure. This combined with the acting and filming puts the cherry on top of this cupcake. I recommend watching this to anyone up for a mind game.
  27. Jan 28, 2012
    I truly think this movie is overrated. Probably because of its similarity with independent films, that are now being perceived -often rightfully- as intelligent, sophisticated, arty, and fashionable. The true is that, Memento is not a bad movie but is not an excellent movie either. I believe that much of Memento's popularity, is due to its so-called complexity; yet, Memento is not complex, but convoluted and at times unestructurised ( and yeah, there can be structure in chaos too.. ) which is fairly different, that is precisely why it soon becomes redundant and monotonous. The script is original, and there are a few interesting twists, but the movie lacks substance and depth. Furthermore, as someone already mentioned, since the characters are not well developed, they feel lifeless and emotionless, so we never connect wit them. Memento's style is similar to that of The Machinist's, but while in The Machinist there are many sub-plots that draw the attention to both inner and outer conflicts, in Memento the plot is basic and there is nothing really thrilling on it apart from a medical condition. I believe Momento is a movie that many seek to enjoy mainly because of its uniqueness, but when carefully analysed, Memento reveals many flaws on its core. Originality is not enough to build an insightful, touching, intelligent, and well elaborated argument with a powerful message, and when we have all these ingredients together is when we have an oustanding film, that is precisely why Memento as a whole is just mediocre in its uniqueness. Expand
  28. Aug 5, 2012
    Memento is somewhat overrated. It's an alright movie with okay actors and a good director.Nonetheless, Memento should be praised for a good reason. It is exactly the type of film it want to be, Nolan was going through a hipster phase and decided to make this out of chronological order. And for something this chopped and screwed, it still makes sense by the end.
  29. Apr 13, 2012
    Challengingly complex thriller from Christopher Nolan about a man with short-term memory loss out to avenge the murder of his wife. With two converging sequences of events being played out in parallel, Memento both demands and warrants careful attention throughout as the audience must hunt for clues in every scene to help piece together the puzzle. Watching one half of the story unfold backwards is demanding but genuinely rewarding as earlier events in the film are explained retrospectively.
    The film owes a great debt to the clever story telling technique employed by Nolan, as without this the story would actually be far less dramatic.
    Guy Pearce is superb as the aggrieved husband and plays his character with a subtly sly sense of humour considering the events unfolding.
  30. Nov 24, 2013
    Simply mind blowing. An absolute masterpiece in script. There is no movie like it. It starts at the ending of the story, and the movie ends with the beginning. Sounds simple enough? Watch it. 9.5/10
  31. May 26, 2012
    This is the most innovative movie that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone who loves complex movies. You'll be a bit confused at the beginning and you're actually not understand the movie until the half. It's just a great movie!
  32. Sep 2, 2012
    A well written, well acted mind bender. The first case for Nolan's genius. Like all Nolan films if your looking for plot mistakes, you will undoubtedly come up with some. Also like Nolan's other films it is endlessly smart, entertaining and ambiguous. I won't say much more, this is definitely a movie to see before reading anything about.
  33. Nov 7, 2012
    Memento is not just any other movie, it
  34. Mar 30, 2014
    I used to hate this film, but after watching it again, that changed. Initially, I hated because of the way the story was told. While it is still aggravating to me the way the story progresses then jumps back and it really hinders my enjoyment of the film, I appreciate it a lot more. Memento is brilliantly made by Christopher Nolan and Guy Pearce is great in the lead role. As we go back in time further and further, more of the picture becomes clear and it leads to many questions about who Leonard Shelby truly is and what actually went down. This really shows how memories can deceive you and, heck, even your own perceptions can deceive you

On the negative side, again, the way the story is told is aggravating. While I understand the purpose and am fine with backtracking, the aggravating part is when we backtrack and then it leads to something we already saw before. It just feels repetitive and overall, while it no longer kills it for me, it is still a major knock I have against this one.
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    An unsparingly gripping and unforgettably remarkable thriller with an excellent story and intricately written characters. Masterstroke work here from one of the greatest directors still in this business.
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    Nolan suceeds in grabbing audience interests by making this a Whats gonna happen next film. It provided superb performances from many actors that you would not have guessed to have ever done any good and leaves you mind blown. Nolan at his absolute best.
  37. Dec 19, 2012
    Que mais se podia esperar de Nolan... Um grande thriller! Percebem-se as base de David Lynch, neste tipo de filmes, o que é óptimo, quiçá a melhor e mais original peça de Christopher Nolan.
  38. Jan 6, 2013
    Christopher Nolan's best movie. It makes you think and follow the story line by actually paying attention. It brings great life to movies that need some new blood in them. I asked for a physiological visionary and I got one.
  39. Feb 4, 2013
    This is an amazing movie, with an amazing concept, and an expert storyline to fit it. The idea of telling the story backwards is brilliant and works for his short-term memory loss. Guy Pearce was amazing in his role as Leonard Shelby. This film makes it obvious as to why Christopher Nolan is the greatest modern director and writer.
  40. Feb 6, 2013
    The coolest film noir I've ever seen. It's way of telling a story is very effective and gets viewers to feel like they themselves have to solve the mystery. It is well written and is probably my favorite of all Christopher Nolan films.
  41. Feb 25, 2013
    Just like "The Prestige", Christopher Nolan's "Memento" offers a very satisfying and unpredictable ending but the problem with "Memento" is that we have to watch about 90 minutes of nonsense in order to reach the last 20 minutes. This movie was a complete drag and a disappoinment after having heard so much good about it.
  42. May 25, 2013
    Christopher Nolan is my all time favorite director i enjoy all his movies i enjoy the fact that his movies are anything other than linear because it's make you think about it and connect the scenes together and make more sense if you watch the movie again,
    however i think that Nolan took it too far with this one cause in order for a Christopher Nolan movie to be great you have to
    enjoy each and every scene and have no idea what's next THAT'S ALL NOLAN MOVIES
    but with Memento the curiosity is not about the next scene it's about when the movie ends and that's sad because when the level of mystery is 100% and everything don't make any sense you kinda loss interests in the movie and i know some people are impressed by the end because there is no end
    but i find it a waste of 2 hours movie and yeah i didn't find Guy Pearce as a good actor in this one.
    after all that being said i don't think the movie is bad i just didn't like it.
  43. Jun 19, 2013
    So inventive a film in reverse. Christopher Nolan has made a film here that cannot be replicated. A rare film that you can't miss a second of or you must start over.
  44. Apr 11, 2013
    One of the greatest, most unpredictable movies of the decade. A must-see.
  45. May 11, 2013
    AMAZING! My mind has literally been raped...If you aren't an analytical thinker; don't watch this film. If you love mystery and puzzle logic--then by all means this is the film for you!!! I am still trying to recover from the ecstatic shock I experienced while viewing the film. Wow! You're not just watching the film; you're alongside the character in his quest to find out the truth--and you solve the mystery before he does. I've never been so fully engaged in watching a movie...EVER! Expand
  46. Jul 8, 2013
    The second best Christopher Nolan movie behind the dark knight. A movie unlike any other. It actually tells the movie backwards. This movie brings enjoyment. Awesome! 10/10
  47. Jun 10, 2013
    This is not a usual film. All the movies that i saw which were directed by christopher nolan were great and had of course twists. Loved this one. A masterpiece actually. Watch it
  48. Sep 28, 2013
    The movie "Memento" is one bizarre illustration of a rape story and its later consequences. It sets off with a murder from the look of which, the protagonist of the movie kills the guy who's raped and got it over with his wife. The look of satisfaction and enthusiasm on his face implies that he's gotten his revenge and will live relieved after this, but you can never say that as there is no afterward events; the story enjoys a reverse chronology. In a story employing this technique, the first scene shown is actually the conclusion to the plot. Once that scene ends, the penultimate scene is shown, and so on, so that the final scene the viewer sees is the first chronologically.
    This 2000 Christopher Nolan movie which is made well before Batman trilogy, The Prestige, and Inception, is based on a short story from Johnathan Nolan, the outstanding director’s brother who has been the co-screenwriter for Nolan’s other great works as well. All the first scenes are happening after the next one and just come to an end when the other one starts which is as strange on paper as it looks on the screen! Nonetheless, this is not the most moving factor in the movie as it is about to get even creepier. The main character of the story, Leonard Shelby [personalized by Guy Pearce] has lost his short memory in the unfortunate incident in a fight with the jerk raping his love. He would only keep the stuff going around him in his recollection for less than ten minutes. To remember things by, he has developed this taking pictures plus adding notes under them method. He usually carries a camera around and takes pictures from the people and places to have in his pocket which will be his only tool to judge people on their good and bad nature. It does not often pay off as the man would choose to write notes about people at the wrong time.
    Besides, Lenny has developed the habit of getting tattoos on his body about very important facts and information. The numbers of tattoos increase constantly, but never stop. The main character, who remembers to be a psychologist, usually talks of a Sammy Jackson which the viewer can never be certain of its existence which is the most terrifying fact.
    The movie leaves the viewer holding the bag and awing at the heaviness of a 2-hour backward story. It educates you that you can never judge people based on one situation, teaches you that even short term memory is a full blessing, and shows you that everything could start only when you think they've come to a bitter end.
    There it is: Christopher Nolan's weirdly overwhelming haunting movie that will make your jaw drop and leave you asking "what did I just watch?"
  49. Nov 12, 2013
    A beautifully crafted, mind bending thriller that will keep you guessing.
    From the brilliant mind of Christopher Nolan, Memento is an instant classic.
  50. Dec 12, 2013
    Memento makes use of its unique premise into what is a near masterpiece. Christopher Nolan once again proves his storytelling skills with a non-linear storyline filled with twists, turns and shocking reveals.
  51. Jan 22, 2014
    Magnificent! This film kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time. When it comes to Psychological/Mystery Thrillers, things can get a little old hacked. After watching enough movies from this genre one can begin to sense where the story is headed, but when it came to the conclusion of this masterpiece I was completely dumbfounded. This is a must see for those who love a movie that will keep your attention and in fact, this movie demands it! Expand
  52. Feb 9, 2014
    One of the best movies ever concieved and also the best Christopher Nolan movie. It has the most unique storytelling you will ever experience and tells a brilliant story with a lot more room for free thinking. my favourite movie!
  53. Mar 31, 2014
    Nolan's infamous protagonist played eloquently by Guy Pierce as well as the ordering remains to be the most memorably to Memento. These two aspects, as well as the plot being enticing enough to the viewer, carry the rest of the film into 'great' territory. Still a must-see either way.
  54. Mar 14, 2014
    the movie is great , the plot very well knit . I admire Mr Nolan about this work > I enjoy this movie very clever plot . It takes me a while to understand it .

I believe the story of the movie goes like this :

the whole movie began when Lenny was speaking on the phone with a cop about a drug-dealer called Jimmy Grants , Teddy who claimed to be the cop gave Lenny some details about
    Jimmy where he would be in order to kill him , Lenny took Jimmy's clothes and the car then made some fact about Teddy his car license in order to kill him earlier .
    -the bar card from his pocket from Jimmy's suit which said " come after Natalie " this note suppose to be for jimmy not for him but he already didn't remember .

Natalie after she knows about his condition ,she used him to get rid of Doddy who asked her about the money drugs and what happened to Jimmy . here maybe Jimmy was her boyfriend ,she recognize the car and the clothes that Lenny used .
    Sammi's story : I believe it's a side story to bind with Lenny to make the audience to think that Sammi is Lenny himself .

1. A delicious one-time treat.
  2. Pearce, who's in every scene except the Sammy flashbacks, dominates the picture through his feral performance.
  3. Operates in an orbit somewhere between Oliver Sacks and Lewis Carroll. I can't remember when a movie has seemed so clever, strangely affecting and slyly funny at the very same time.