7.3

1. Feb 23, 2013
    Memory is one of the best direct-to-video/b-movies I have ever seen. How a small production company gets a cast like this is beyond me, but this was just a great movie! Billy Zane is a guy with a clouded past, who decides to use an experimental drug to restore his memory. Only to vividly remember a murder he witnessed, but was it his memory or someone else's? I don't like Zane one bit, but in this movie, he's pure genius. What was really striking about this film, (especially since it's a low budget b-movie), was the imagery. Everything is so vibrate and methodically done. First time director, Bennett Davlin, really has you sitting on the edge of your seat. It really feels like you're alongside Zane, seeing what he sees. As for the ending, I never saw it coming. I've seen a lot of films, and you've got to have a pretty good story to surprise me! It's a film you've never heard of and won't see in theaters, but it's defiantly one that shouldn't be missed. Expand
  2. Feb 3, 2012
    Like usual, I disagree with the critics completely. In fact I was shocked to see a movie like this with a score of 26. But nonetheless, I'll tell you where I stand in regards to this movie. I believe you have to have the correct mindset and thinking ability to enjoy this movie, I'm not insulting people that don't understand it, but that's what I think. This is a very intriguing movie, that keeps you captured and thinking throughout the entire picture. As it messes with the protagonist's mind, it will do the same to you. The plot and idea behind this movie is also a plus, I enjoy a movie out of the norm, and I have to say I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything like this before. It can get disturbing at times, but that adds to the atmosphere, which now that we're at it, is incredibly executed. I've always been a sucker for physiological thrillers/mysteries, so there's no doubt that I would give this such a high grade. But I assure you, if you like to think during a movie, and are bored of traditional, predictable clichés , I encourage you to take an hour and a half watching this. One more thing, don't be fooled by the first scene, at first I almost shut the movie off because of the terrible opening in the jungle, it seems ridiculously old and bad quality. But don't fret, wait until the good parts come, they're right around the corner.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .BREAKDOWN:
    ||Specific Grade: 86%||Acting: 25/30||Effects: 18/20||Plot: 17/20||Sounds: 13/15||Worth Your Time: 13/15||

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    It's actually considerably better -- and far more intriguing -- than most entry-level horror pics, marrying a retro B-movie setup with the ghostly obsessions of recent Asian extreme cinema.
  2. A muddled and routine murder mystery tricked up with a science fiction gimmick that wouldn't pass muster for a "Twilight Zone" episode. The writing is poor, but the direction is even poorer. This is a film to delete from one's memory bank.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Grierson
    While the mystery doesn't engage, Davlin keeps you off guard with his film's weird rhythms, bouncing from family drama to romance to macabre mood piece without much warning. How he and Zane manage to make such dreck almost tolerable is the real mystery here.