6.3

1. Oct 2, 2011
    "Men in Black 2" entertains the audience with joy, but it's not worth it compared to its prequel.
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    a poor excuse for a sequel felt like the same plot almost from the first with jones and smith reversing there roles abit. the jokes wernt as good and after seeing it i could care less to ever see it again . a very forgettable film.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    A good sequel. Sexy, soulful and entertaining.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    While still a worthy sequel, MIB II goes for a bit more of a comedic route which works pretty well but at the same time in small doses is the way to go. Everything we loved about the first film is still present here which is great, and its great to have the main players back as well as some new additions. As far as sequels go its not up there as the best, and I feel the third was betterWhile still a worthy sequel, MIB II goes for a bit more of a comedic route which works pretty well but at the same time in small doses is the way to go. Everything we loved about the first film is still present here which is great, and its great to have the main players back as well as some new additions. As far as sequels go its not up there as the best, and I feel the third was better than this one, but overall it will still appeal to the same audiences of the original Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    man, you can make James bond, mission impossible and tons of secret agents films but this is the most original thing I've ever seen, maybe not as good as the original but still pretty good film for me
  6. May 26, 2012
    Hey guys, good job on rating the game with your only point being stupid upvoters.
    The movie is great, while not as great as the first one still delivers and is very watchable.
  7. Oct 28, 2010
    not as good as the original, but this was definitely worth a shot.
  8. Sep 20, 2011
    Definitely not as good as the original, but it is a sequel, so such is expected. Still has some funny moments, and Jones once again delivers amazingly. Boyle, on the other hand, did a very poor job. Some of the fight choreography was just corny when compared to the original. The after effects of the neuralizer are altered a bit. Story isn't as neat as the first. All in all, it's enjoyable,Definitely not as good as the original, but it is a sequel, so such is expected. Still has some funny moments, and Jones once again delivers amazingly. Boyle, on the other hand, did a very poor job. Some of the fight choreography was just corny when compared to the original. The after effects of the neuralizer are altered a bit. Story isn't as neat as the first. All in all, it's enjoyable, but not lovable. Expand
  9. Aug 13, 2012
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    Not as bad as many claim it is, but no where as good either. Considering the tone and standard the first movie left, this movie was a step backwards. Replaying all the jokes from the first movie (except then they were fresh and funny.) Overall: While it still is enjoyable, it really does feel more like a cheap cash-in.
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    A pretty pedestrian sequel that while entertaining lacks a lot of the fun of its predecessor. It was close between a 5 or a 6, but it's fun enough for a mild recommendation.
  12. Nov 13, 2013
    More or less, the usual sequel. The comedy and thrills desiccate within the end of the first half, and they fail to recuperate. I'l say this; the chemistry of Lee Jones and Smith never gives way to the overdrawn plot and characters
  13. Feb 3, 2014
    Not as good as the original at all. MIB II doesn't have the same energy or charisma the first installment had, and doesn't have any memorable moments.
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    The Men in Black are back.
    A fair sequel with enjoyable moments of charming humor, Men in Black II continues it's successful run with a similar plot but advanced wit.
  15. Feb 24, 2015
    I often hear the question "can sequels surpass their original?

Well in MIB2, this isn't the case, it is nowhere near as good as the first, which I loved by the way. I was glad that Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones were back, but wasn't completely convinced by Laura Flynn Boyle. Was disappointed to see that Linda Fiorentino was missing from the cast, as I felt she added some much
    I often hear the question "can sequels surpass their original?

Was disappointed to see that Linda Fiorentino was missing from the cast, as I felt she added some much needed glamour to the first film.

Here's hoping they improve for MIB 3.
  16. Apr 23, 2015
    Men in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motionMen in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motion picture could be made by having them sit next to each other and trade quips. Unfortunately, Men in Black II decides to surround these characters with a narrative that is so limp and idiotic that it can't even stand up when judged by the standards of comedies, let alone those of science fiction adventures.

Aside from the Jones/Smith camaraderie, one could easily argue that Men in Black II's most prominent asset is its brevity. This movie clocks in at 80 minutes (!) - a laudable trait in an era when films tend to be bloated and overlong. Then again, the subject matter of Men in Black II is so anemic than it can't effectively sustain even its skinny running length, so, unlike its crisp predecessor, it feels protracted. That's a sure sign that director Barry Sonnenfeld didn't have much to work with.

One of the film's supposed selling points is its special effects. However, the CGI work - as has too often become the case in recent years - calls attention to itself. The chief monster, played in human form by Lara Flynn Boyle, is as obviously a special effect as any creature to come along in the last five-or-so years. The rest of the aliens look like Star Wars rejects. These kinds of visual effects were a lot more impressive in 1997, when the original Men in Black arrived in multiplexes. Back then, CGI wasn't as all-pervasive as it is today. Then, its use seemed creative. Now, it seems lazy.

The movie delivers what most people will be expecting it to deliver. Will Smith has his share of very funny moments. Tommy Lee Jones is the consummate straight man. There are aliens everywhere - big, small, furry, not-so-furry... If there could be said to be a "Men in Black" formula, this movie follows it rigorously. That's one of Men in Black II's chief problems - this is not a spontaneous joyride into science fiction comedy; it's a product. It was put together with one thing in mind - bringing the same people together on-screen in the hope that the box-office numbers will be similar.

Viewed as a cartoon come to life, Men in Black II does the job, albeit barely. It's not nearly as fresh or enjoyable as its predecessor, but there are enough high points to keep this from being a complete waste of time. For those who want more of the same - go ahead, throw down your eight bucks. Men in Black II took five years and a number of false starts to reach the screen because of behind-the-scenes difficulties. Hopefully, no matter how much money this movie makes, those troubles will prevent there from being a Men in Black III. This franchise has already run out of steam. Let the Men in Black loosen their ties and rest in peace.

1. Short, flashy and about as complex as a beer belch, Men in Black II is also brisk. The film clocks in at 88 minutes total running time, and it's loaded with new special effects and monsters.
  2. Michael Jackson is an alien? Tell me something I don't know.
    Would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.