6.3

1. Taxpayer
    Jul 6, 2002
    A movie with so much wasted potential is not just bad, but sad. The original's dry humor and sheer cleverness are absolutely gone, and the new dialogue is amazingly stale (so stale that Will Smith's character says "I'm going to lay the smackdown on your candy ass" in one scene). I truly liked MIB 1, but this movie overwhelms you with the sense that it's just an attempt A movie with so much wasted potential is not just bad, but sad. The original's dry humor and sheer cleverness are absolutely gone, and the new dialogue is amazingly stale (so stale that Will Smith's character says "I'm going to lay the smackdown on your candy ass" in one scene). I truly liked MIB 1, but this movie overwhelms you with the sense that it's just an attempt to cash in. Why else would there be a Sprint Store prominently displayed in MIB headquarters? Expand
  2. D.D.
    Jul 3, 2002
    They were too busy striking merchandising deals to write a decent script. It moves at too fast a pace (barely 90 minutes) and glossed over Linda Fiorentinos' absence ("she missed the morgue...") come on! Had potential, cranked up great with Warburtons' performance; fizzled out fast.
  3. RobertH.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Where to begin? I was eagerly looking forward to MIB II hoping that it would recapture the fun and spirit of the original. Instead, I found all the surprise of anticpating a thirst quenching soda on a hot summers day only to find that the fizz was gone and the soda was totally flat. I did learn that Will Smith without Tommy Lee Jones cannot carry his jock. Smith, whom I love as an actor, Where to begin? I was eagerly looking forward to MIB II hoping that it would recapture the fun and spirit of the original. Instead, I found all the surprise of anticpating a thirst quenching soda on a hot summers day only to find that the fizz was gone and the soda was totally flat. I did learn that Will Smith without Tommy Lee Jones cannot carry his jock. Smith, whom I love as an actor, was hopelessly lost until Jones arrived midway through this abreviated drek. The acting, the script, and the directing were all dismal. The special effects were teriffic. Where did it all go wrong? Expand
  4. ChadS.
    Jul 22, 2002
    They take too long to neuralize K. Lara Flynn Boyle has a lot of arms. So what. And did the dog die during the middle of production? He sort of disappears. I liked that dog.
  5. MatthewS.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Thin, airy sequel that lacks the freshness and impact of the original--all of which would be fine if the movie could still deliver the same laughs and entertainment of the first. The problem is--it doesn't.
  6. AG
    Aug 24, 2002
    If you like "MIB" and want to see "MIB2". Just stay home and watch the first one. This is all you'll be missing... A second-rate script where characters disappear half way through the movie, Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones going through the motions and never reallly getting back into thier parts and depression that this movie was even made. They say they'll be making a "MIB3", I If you like "MIB" and want to see "MIB2". Just stay home and watch the first one. This is all you'll be missing... A second-rate script where characters disappear half way through the movie, Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones going through the motions and never reallly getting back into thier parts and depression that this movie was even made. They say they'll be making a "MIB3", I personally can't wait...well that's hoping that they'll learn from thier mistakes. Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    a poor excuse for a sequel felt like the same plot almost from the first with jones and smith reversing there roles abit. the jokes wernt as good and after seeing it i could care less to ever see it again . a very forgettable film.
  8. Apr 23, 2015
    Men in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motionMen in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motion picture could be made by having them sit next to each other and trade quips. Unfortunately, Men in Black II decides to surround these characters with a narrative that is so limp and idiotic that it can't even stand up when judged by the standards of comedies, let alone those of science fiction adventures.

Aside from the Jones/Smith camaraderie, one could easily argue that Men in Black II's most prominent asset is its brevity. This movie clocks in at 80 minutes (!) - a laudable trait in an era when films tend to be bloated and overlong. Then again, the subject matter of Men in Black II is so anemic than it can't effectively sustain even its skinny running length, so, unlike its crisp predecessor, it feels protracted. That's a sure sign that director Barry Sonnenfeld didn't have much to work with.

One of the film's supposed selling points is its special effects. However, the CGI work - as has too often become the case in recent years - calls attention to itself. The chief monster, played in human form by Lara Flynn Boyle, is as obviously a special effect as any creature to come along in the last five-or-so years. The rest of the aliens look like Star Wars rejects. These kinds of visual effects were a lot more impressive in 1997, when the original Men in Black arrived in multiplexes. Back then, CGI wasn't as all-pervasive as it is today. Then, its use seemed creative. Now, it seems lazy.

The movie delivers what most people will be expecting it to deliver. Will Smith has his share of very funny moments. Tommy Lee Jones is the consummate straight man. There are aliens everywhere - big, small, furry, not-so-furry... If there could be said to be a "Men in Black" formula, this movie follows it rigorously. That's one of Men in Black II's chief problems - this is not a spontaneous joyride into science fiction comedy; it's a product. It was put together with one thing in mind - bringing the same people together on-screen in the hope that the box-office numbers will be similar.

Viewed as a cartoon come to life, Men in Black II does the job, albeit barely. It's not nearly as fresh or enjoyable as its predecessor, but there are enough high points to keep this from being a complete waste of time. For those who want more of the same - go ahead, throw down your eight bucks. Men in Black II took five years and a number of false starts to reach the screen because of behind-the-scenes difficulties. Hopefully, no matter how much money this movie makes, those troubles will prevent there from being a Men in Black III. This franchise has already run out of steam. Let the Men in Black loosen their ties and rest in peace.
  9. JFKar
    Aug 4, 2002
    It had something old, not much new, a lot that was borrowed, and stank - PU! It was such a disappointment to us and our kids, we all went home and watched the video of the first MiB movie! When you do that, you really notice the contrast between the two! Frank (the pug) funny -- the first couple of times. After that he suffered badly from over-exposure and you just wanted to kick him. It had something old, not much new, a lot that was borrowed, and stank - PU! It was such a disappointment to us and our kids, we all went home and watched the video of the first MiB movie! When you do that, you really notice the contrast between the two! Frank (the pug) funny -- the first couple of times. After that he suffered badly from over-exposure and you just wanted to kick him. The worms are cool, though. They should star in MiB 3 - and replace the rest of the cast with new characters. Expand
  10. SteveD.
    Dec 6, 2002
    It's not really bad, just really bland. While I never cringed, I think I chuckled once. This is the worst kind of movie because at least if it would have been outrageously bad it would have been fun to mock.
  11. KenL.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Ug. What a disappointment. The movie was a near replica of the first, story-wise. Fortunately, the movie was pretty short, so the length of torture you must sit through is shortened. Johnny Noxville is a terrible man. He just plain sux. Both of the evil villains in the movie ruined it. I liked the first MiB, but this one.....this just sucked balls.
  12. AppleH.
    Sep 10, 2002
    Loved the original. Tommy, Will dudes if you make a movie just to pick up a paycheck it shows. This MIB is a dud. The dudes just went through the motions. Boring!
  13. B.S.
    Jan 15, 2003
    Way to crap up the movie jay.
  14. MikeH.
    Jul 22, 2002
    An unoriginal movie which was puked from the depths of pop culture hell.
  15. RyanT.
    Jul 25, 2002
    This film is basically a second rate version of the first MIB at best. The movie has dumb humor and a horrible storyline. I don't know if I am actually a competent person to review the movie because I started to daydream after about midway through. The movie is just a cash in and by far nowhere as good as the orginal.
  16. PatC.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Once in a while a movie comes along that, as a sequel, is both enjoyable and enhances the memory of viewing the original hit. This is not that movie.
  17. JessicaP.
    Jul 8, 2002
    And I thought this show was good. It's just like a repeat of the first one, but worse. Or do I just think aliens are a stupid idea to make into a movie?
  18. P.Zawa
    Aug 2, 2002
    Just plain boring. And not funny.
  19. DaveS.
    Jan 11, 2007
    This is probably the worst sequel ever made - bar none. A zero is fair due to the moronic upvoters.

1. Short, flashy and about as complex as a beer belch, Men in Black II is also brisk. The film clocks in at 88 minutes total running time, and it's loaded with new special effects and monsters.
  2. Michael Jackson is an alien? Tell me something I don't know.
    Would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.