6.9

1. May 26, 2012
    It was just ok. The best part of the movie was Josh Brolin as a young K, and he is a perfect fit for the role. The banter between him and J is great. But there are a lot of problems, most notably the end showdown which is very anticlimactic. There were also just to many Will Smith moments of him making stupid faces or something like that. There was a great Bill Hader cameo as AndyIt was just ok. The best part of the movie was Josh Brolin as a young K, and he is a perfect fit for the role. The banter between him and J is great. But there are a lot of problems, most notably the end showdown which is very anticlimactic. There were also just to many Will Smith moments of him making stupid faces or something like that. There was a great Bill Hader cameo as Andy Warhol and Emma Thompson was pretty good as Agent O., but I was not a huge fan of Jemaine Clement as Boris the Animal (the bad guy). Anyways, if you're a fan of the other Men in Black movies, I think you'll like this one. If not, then I wouldn't recommend it. Expand
  2. May 26, 2012
    What made MIB special was the interaction between Agents J and K, along with the special humor their interactions sparked. However, in the first half hour of MIB III, the viewer is so ready for this movie to be over as the chemistry and humor just aren't there. If one can get past the first half hour, though, the true magic is recreated with an incredible portrayal of a "young" K by JoshWhat made MIB special was the interaction between Agents J and K, along with the special humor their interactions sparked. However, in the first half hour of MIB III, the viewer is so ready for this movie to be over as the chemistry and humor just aren't there. If one can get past the first half hour, though, the true magic is recreated with an incredible portrayal of a "young" K by Josh Brolin. At the same time, the story, which began as a very generic MIB adventure not capturing my interest at all, swerves into an unexpected direction with a very special ending that made the whole movie worthwhile. Will looks too old to play Agent J and has lost his youthful appeal, though I guess we all do. Tommy Lee is overly made up and must have wanted very little to do with this movie because he's hardly in it and hasn't been featured much in the trailers. MIB III has a very different feel than the previous two, but I suppose that is because its original audience is older. I'm not sure viewers could consider it a worthy film, but if one has any love for these characters, you will be pleasantly surprised at where this film ends. Unfortunately, the dialogue is weak, the pacing is almost painful, especially in the first half hour, and, had I not been so interested in the ending, I would heavily question why this film was even made. Expand
  3. May 25, 2012
    This left-for-dead, decade-lasting-hiatus, three-quel goes close to matching the original, and soars highly above its predecessor, offering extraterrestrial blockbuster fun for MIB franchise aficionados and foes alike. It's at times funny, visually aesthetic, and captures Josh Brolin as Young Agent K at the top of his game--or as far as impersonations go--he's jutting out Tommy Lee JonesThis left-for-dead, decade-lasting-hiatus, three-quel goes close to matching the original, and soars highly above its predecessor, offering extraterrestrial blockbuster fun for MIB franchise aficionados and foes alike. It's at times funny, visually aesthetic, and captures Josh Brolin as Young Agent K at the top of his game--or as far as impersonations go--he's jutting out Tommy Lee Jones from every pore of his craggy-mannered self. Such praise, sadly can't be given for anyone else who look the exhaustion experienced from this publicly low-demanded third installment that tries to make up for a subpar script with a loud bark, a frenetic orientation, and disjointed wag; it assumes its blockbuster countenance with discordant effects, shabby gags and dialogue, but given the off-course path of its continuation and demise ten years earlier, 'MIB III' should be considered a triumph and rebound for the series. However, it doesn't necessary present any real justification for another installment either--while this one does offer some comedic value, you won't be needing a Neutralyzer--one's mind will find things far more integral to hold in its occupany. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2012
    The movie wasnt as bad as I thought, it was intresting to watch. It was fun at times and with a decent story!
    The visual effects sometimes were just stunning!
  5. May 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After 10 years since the last film and not a single day aged by Will Smith, MIB 3 is here and it's so-so in my opinion. They did a lot of good stuff here but a lot of the film falls flat. Will Smith does a decent job of acting, especially since he's featured the most in the movie and I really love Josh Brolins performance as a young Agent K, he really does look the part of a younger Tommy Lee Jones. My problems with the movie revolve around 2 parts in the movie. The secondary acting, which for some reason Tommy Lee Jones finds himself a part of and the ending that kind of goes all over the place a bit. The secondary acting is practically non existent and I feel that this is more of a Will Smith show than a MIB 3 movie. Obviously his goal is to save Agent K, but it seems to revolved around Smith. The ending, which was supposed to show why Agent K has become the way he is, shows what happens but the effect on him is nowhere to be seen. I felt like it was just thrown in there for the sake of it. All in all, MIB 3 is an alright movie, but if you miss it, you're not missing much. Expand
  6. May 26, 2012
    When you walk into the movie theatre to see "MIB3" you are not going to see a 'deep' film but to be entertained and "MIB3" is entertaining--maybe mindless, but entertaining. It has been 15 years since the first "Men in Black" and though it helps to have seen that for a better understanding about the relationship between agent J (Will Smith) and agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) it's not aWhen you walk into the movie theatre to see "MIB3" you are not going to see a 'deep' film but to be entertained and "MIB3" is entertaining--maybe mindless, but entertaining. It has been 15 years since the first "Men in Black" and though it helps to have seen that for a better understanding about the relationship between agent J (Will Smith) and agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) it's not a necessity . It seems like every 2 minutes there is a new special effect and most are special along with many being funny.

The story in films like this really isn't that important but through a little twisting of events agent J uses a time machine to go back to 1969 and as he is told "...not the best time for people of color ". The villain, Boris the animal, (Jemaine Clement), who had his arm shot off many years before by agent K i s going back in time to change that course of history by killing the agent while agent J travels back in time to stop the young agent K (Josh Brolin) from shooting Boris's arm off and, of course, to stop the latter from blowing up the world, I think!

Over the 15 years Tommy Lee Jones doesn't look a day older while Will Smith, going from 29 to 44, still looks good but older. They both do a good job with their characters. Jemaine Clement hams it up as he should, especially since he has little ugly creatures coming out of all parts of his body. Josh Brolin should be a top star now, especially after his performances in "Milk", "American Gangster", "W" and "No Country For Old Men" that he really has shined in, and I think one more role will put him over the top. As a young Tommy Lee Jones he does a fantastic job, not imitating him, but being a young Tommy Lee Jones through voice, movements and attitudes.

Emma Thompson, as agent O, has a laugh out loud 1 minute bit that is a far cry from any other character she has played. She did remind me of Julie Andrews every time she was on screen. Her younger version is a perky Alice Eve and Michael Stuhlbarg, as Griffin, who can see what and/or will happen in the future and can bring moments like the Mets winning the championship to the present, is a hoot. Bill Hader has a cameo shot as Andy Warhol.

We are in 1969, when the first moon landing takes place, and all you can do is put aside any logic on what's happening in the movie and enjoy the place and time.

"Men In Black 3" is one of those movies that you will enjoy, and forget as you walk out of the movie house.
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    A lot better than I expected, the tone was spot on as with the prevoius men in blacks. The creatures interesting, good action and a nice slice of humour!! I cant quite see how they needed "$250 million" dollars to make it though. But I was more than happy to spend my $10 dollars on it!!
  8. May 28, 2012
    It wasn't as bad as they were saying. Like most trilogies, not as good as the first, better than the second. If this is how they wrap things up, they went out on a sweet note. Not a lot of surprises and some weird plot choices (like the very beginning) but it eventually led to an OK ending. Agree with most everybody that Josh Brolin nailed his role.
  9. May 29, 2012
    Fairly satisfying considering the magic and humor from the first film has mostly worn off. Instead of laugh-out-loud moments, you get small chuckles sprinkled throughout. The plot is interesting enough and the characters are quite likable (the insertion of Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement as the primary villain is a nice touch) to help you remember this movie after you've leftFairly satisfying considering the magic and humor from the first film has mostly worn off. Instead of laugh-out-loud moments, you get small chuckles sprinkled throughout. The plot is interesting enough and the characters are quite likable (the insertion of Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement as the primary villain is a nice touch) to help you remember this movie after you've left the theater. It's better than the 2nd film, but not the box office gem that was the original. It's Men In Black with a little serious lying under it's silly surface. For some, it will be enjoyable enough. But there's just no way this 3rd movie can be in the same league as the first. Expand
  10. Jun 2, 2012
    Men in Black is back and ready for more! ... Will Smith carries the movie all the way, as he has in the last two MiB's, and let me tell you.. he didn't lost his touch. Abit less Tommy Lee Jones, mainly replaced by Josh Brolin who does an excellent job in portraying the younger Agent K. ... On the downside for MiB3, The story is abit too simple, barely any new good memorable music, besidesMen in Black is back and ready for more! ... Will Smith carries the movie all the way, as he has in the last two MiB's, and let me tell you.. he didn't lost his touch. Abit less Tommy Lee Jones, mainly replaced by Josh Brolin who does an excellent job in portraying the younger Agent K. ... On the downside for MiB3, The story is abit too simple, barely any new good memorable music, besides the original theme, and some 'jokes' are realy far fetched. Still, if you enjoyed both MiB and MiB2, and you don't mind a simple but funny alien infesting story, ..then go out now... buy some movie tickets and enjoy the return of the men in black! Expand
  11. May 25, 2013
    Men in Black III is a decent movie. It's probably the best of the trilogy, finishing narrowly ahead of the original and totally eclipsing the lackluster sequel. Josh Brolin is great as younger K and is totally convincing. It's still not an essential movie but it's fun popcorn fluff.
  12. May 26, 2012
    Although I watched on 2D, Men In Black 3 should be perfect for 3D and IMAX. It's surprisely fun but the film is boring in some parts. Josh Brolin is impressive as K.
  13. May 29, 2012
    Although not a bad movie, it really wasn't particularly good either. Overall, it seemed relatively lifeless with less humor than the first 2 outings with a more serious tone overall that doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the first 2 movies of the series.

I do admire the job Josh Brolin did in replicating a younger Tommy Lee Jones, but it wasn't enough to save the movie from being a rather uninspired and, definitely for me, completely forgettable movie. It's only been one day since I've seen the movie, and I've already forgotten about 1/2 of it (it was that boring).

However, it was nice to go back to see the MIB crew, even if it was rather dull.
  14. May 31, 2012
    This movie needed some work. It should have spent more time with Borris the Animal, gone more in depth with the '69 culture, Jay & his early love interest's relationship and a little bit more with Will and Josh's relationship. More work on the jokes that took place during the early part of the film as well (they weren't bad, just not exactly LOL material.) This film should have been aThis movie needed some work. It should have spent more time with Borris the Animal, gone more in depth with the '69 culture, Jay & his early love interest's relationship and a little bit more with Will and Josh's relationship. More work on the jokes that took place during the early part of the film as well (they weren't bad, just not exactly LOL material.) This film should have been a little bit longer. Having said that, I still found this film rather enjoyable and like most people, I really enjoyed Josh Brolin's performance.This film is probably the third best blockbuster of 2012 so far. :-) P.S. the 3D wasn't bad but it didn't add to the film either. My advice would be: save some money by seeing this movie in 2D. Expand
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    Saw the film in cinema with a 2D version, after 4 years absence from the screen, Will Smith eventually returns with his most tailor-made MIB suit as Agent J (with his craggier partner, Tommy Lee Jonesâ
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    Enjoyed the film, mainly because I like Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones and their interaction with each other in the film.
    Nice narrative showing K as a younger man.
  17. May 26, 2012
    I thought the movie was very charming. I did not get bored at all or felt like it went too slow. I was particularly shocked at the resemblance between the old and young K. It was not only the looks but the acting too that caught me off guard. It's not an amazing movie that I could say was one of the best movies of the year, but I can definitely say that it was a fun and exciting movie.
  18. Jun 4, 2012
    The first one was pretty good, the second was awful and surprise, surprise, Men in Black 3 actually turned out okay. It was fun and filled to the brim with interesting visuals and fresh, new ideas. I cringed at times for some of the humor, but it had its moments. I liked the exclusion of the Pug, and most of all, I enjoyed Josh Brolin's spot on impersonation of young Agent K. I didn't goThe first one was pretty good, the second was awful and surprise, surprise, Men in Black 3 actually turned out okay. It was fun and filled to the brim with interesting visuals and fresh, new ideas. I cringed at times for some of the humor, but it had its moments. I liked the exclusion of the Pug, and most of all, I enjoyed Josh Brolin's spot on impersonation of young Agent K. I didn't go into this expecting anything remotely close to the original, and it wasn't. It has lost a lot of the charm and appeal that was present in the original,15 years ago. The screenplay was at times weak and some of the time travel logic questionable, but that was easy to ignore. This is by no means anything special and I will probably forget about the movie in a day or two, but I enjoyed MIB3 for what it was. Expand
  19. May 26, 2012
    It was a good movie, but not amazing. I loved the chemistry and addition of Josh Brolin and another character, but otherwise it was just okay. Not enough aliens or storyline to be amazing or great, but it was still good.

J-ROD
  20. May 30, 2012
    A Great Movie For A 3rd One!
    The Acting Is Fine The Plot Seems A Little Washed Up..
    Still A OK Movie...
  21. Jun 6, 2012
    There is nothing that this movie could have done to be great with the plot and script prepared. The basics of story telling are tossed out the window: no presentation, no perspective, and no focus. The pace of the movie is ridiculous. And the dialogue is so bad it would have been funny if I had not paid 5 bucks to listen to it.

No no no. All wrong. And for reference, I liked both the

No no no. All wrong. And for reference, I liked both the first and the second movies.
  22. Jun 5, 2012
    The movie wasn't shocking it was just disappointing compared to the first two movies, I found the movie to be less humorous than the others and the ending which i won't spoil was disappointing. The movie was saved from disaster with Josh Brolin's role as young K and his relationship with Will Smith, they just seem tp work well with each other.
  23. Jun 9, 2012
    I registered with this site just to write this review about MIB 3D because I have a complaint about the way the filmmakers used the 3D technology and I feel it's fair to warn others about the effects. While the film was in 3D enabling you to choose to focus on foreground or background objects, for most of the picture the filmmakers chose to use selective focus so that if you did have aI registered with this site just to write this review about MIB 3D because I have a complaint about the way the filmmakers used the 3D technology and I feel it's fair to warn others about the effects. While the film was in 3D enabling you to choose to focus on foreground or background objects, for most of the picture the filmmakers chose to use selective focus so that if you did have a moment where you chose to "focus" on something in the background, it would still be out of focus. In my opinion, this sort of defeats the purpose of having a film in 3D while also increasing the difficulty of adjusting to the 3D techniques themselves. Foreground objects seem to pop preternaturally out from the jumbled mess of out-of-focus scenery. You're eyes spend time adjusting between close, super-focused actors and trying to focus on something in the background which never comes in to focus anyway. Maybe others aren't bothered by this, but if you compare this effect with a film in which 3D is used correctly, this difference is striking. Expand
  24. Jun 13, 2012
    I thought, for what this movie was, it was very good. Keep in mind that Men In Black is almost a spoof on science fiction movies, because of its comedic element. I thought the movie lagged a bit at the start, but then sped right up and kept me on the edge of my seat, while still being very funny and enjoyable. I thought the early development of Tommy Lee Jones' character was brilliant,I thought, for what this movie was, it was very good. Keep in mind that Men In Black is almost a spoof on science fiction movies, because of its comedic element. I thought the movie lagged a bit at the start, but then sped right up and kept me on the edge of my seat, while still being very funny and enjoyable. I thought the early development of Tommy Lee Jones' character was brilliant, seeing as he is such a tight-lipped character about his personal life. Overall, I thought this movie was excellent. I would reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a good time. Expand
  25. Jun 21, 2012
    well at least it's better than the sequel...Its one redeeming quality was the work of Josh Brolin (bang on)
    i'm shocked to see "Top Critics" give this movie positive reviews; It seems that they set their expectations so low for these films that any decent element (i.e. josh brolin's performance) is enough to give it a passing grade...
  26. Dec 14, 2012
    A much better entry into the franchise than Men in Black II. In fact, it's just entertaining enough to justify the move to make another film. Most of it feels rushed, conveniently plotted and, while it resonates a little more than the last entry, the touching twist at the end comes about with awkward footing. Granted, the rip on the sixties isn't nearly as clever as the jokes lead you toA much better entry into the franchise than Men in Black II. In fact, it's just entertaining enough to justify the move to make another film. Most of it feels rushed, conveniently plotted and, while it resonates a little more than the last entry, the touching twist at the end comes about with awkward footing. Granted, the rip on the sixties isn't nearly as clever as the jokes lead you to believe, but the plot is more engaging than most summer releases (maybe I'm just a fan of time-travel films) and the effects pop, while also providing for most of the humor that works. A big flaw is that the relationship between J and K, while it is explored more than the past films, feels fake to me. The chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith seems to be lacking and I think it is how out of touch the actors have been with these characters over time. However, we are graced with a great, original performance from Michael Stuhlbarg and Josh Brolin's Agent K impersonation is really spot-on. Expand
  27. Jul 28, 2015
    Despite having such a franchise-ready concept, it's becoming all the more clear that 1997's original MiB is a perfectly self-contained action comedy that needn't have been sequelized. It's highly reliant on crashing action and hyperventilating camera moves but unfortunately, there's one effect that computer-animation technicians can never duplicate: a genuine sense of fun. Not bad but notDespite having such a franchise-ready concept, it's becoming all the more clear that 1997's original MiB is a perfectly self-contained action comedy that needn't have been sequelized. It's highly reliant on crashing action and hyperventilating camera moves but unfortunately, there's one effect that computer-animation technicians can never duplicate: a genuine sense of fun. Not bad but not memorable, it seems to only exist as a kind of nostalgic revival piece, a belated attempt to wring one last curtain-call from a long-dead series. Like an alien trapped in a human host, a better movie is itching to burst out of "Men in Black 3." Expand
  28. Jul 15, 2012
    i'm a big fan of men in black movies but unfortunately the third part is the weakest link of the series. it was funny but the first two movies were better!
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    The idea was good, but poorly executed. This is more of a children's movie, MIB 2 was much better, with funny jokes, including the one with Frankie singing, hilarious.
  30. Dec 8, 2012
    Bad sequel, disappointing but entertaining ...
  31. Nov 14, 2013
    Hard to pick up at times, and lacking Lee Jones' cynicism which Brolin's performance was not able to recuperate, despite him being a decent replacement (for over half of the entire movie, it should have been just Smith and Brolin). Special effects were the best part. I found the movie (overall) as almost tedious except for several smartly written scenes. I do not recommend a fourth film.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    May 29, 2012
    Sonnenfeld's best movies function like elaborate Rube Goldberg contraptions, with visual gags popping out on a precise calibration of gears and springs, and Cohen's script, however derivative, is a stable apparatus.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 25, 2012
    What we're left with is a thoroughly mediocre, shrug-generating disappointment -- and one that certainly doesn't feel like it should have cost more than a third of a billion dollars to make and market.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    May 25, 2012
    This third outing climaxes with a dark and melodramatic twist that, while adding a layer of nuance and back story that the previous two films never had, also feels wildly out of sync with its audience's expectations.