8.2

1. CRL
    Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best sci-fi comedies ever that plays perfectly off of the chemistry of its phenomenal leads and it's lighthearted and smart but still somewhat crazy plot.
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    a funny commendy with will smith and tommy lee jones they have great chemistry in this film . a decent plot that feels like it was just over to fast and not really given more time to devilpe into some thing more intresting with the focus being more on jokes . still a good film .
  3. Sep 17, 2011
    I can't think of a single complaint I have about this movie. It's a great film that you can rewatch again and again. The casting choices were absolutely perfect, the special effects are dazzling (for their time), the story isn't hard to follow (but it's not too simple either), it's funny, and it's got great action sequences. A perfect action-comedy.
  4. Nov 25, 2012
    In terms of storyline, the film is pretty much disposable. But in terms of performances and over-the-top action, it's a slam dunk: Men In Black is a blast.
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    Really entertaining overall. Funny, action-packed, and intriguing, Men in Black is successful on really every front you could ask from a summer blockbuster. Not ground-breaking cinema in the least, this one is still a fun watch with great performances from Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    A great science fiction movie that will make us see that we are not alone.
  7. Mar 14, 2013
    I utterly adored this movie when it came out. Still do, but my feeling towards it have mellowed over the years. It's funny, original and has one of the best lines in human history: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." I love that line and it more or less defines my personal ideology. Overall: MIB was a fantastic movie of its time and is andI utterly adored this movie when it came out. Still do, but my feeling towards it have mellowed over the years. It's funny, original and has one of the best lines in human history: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." I love that line and it more or less defines my personal ideology. Overall: MIB was a fantastic movie of its time and is and always will be a great classic. Expand
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    A favourite 90's flick of mine that never gets old no matter how many times I've seen it, and was also one of the first more mature films I watched growing up (as I would have only been around 7 when I first saw it). Jones & Smith play off each other perfectly in this Sci-Fi/Comedy/Action flick that has a nice blend of all three genres. There have been similar films to this but I think MIBA favourite 90's flick of mine that never gets old no matter how many times I've seen it, and was also one of the first more mature films I watched growing up (as I would have only been around 7 when I first saw it). Jones & Smith play off each other perfectly in this Sci-Fi/Comedy/Action flick that has a nice blend of all three genres. There have been similar films to this but I think MIB pulled it off the best thanks to the actors and characters, and its one of those classic 90's flicks. Expand
  9. May 12, 2013
    Initially the plot may seem slow and coiled, but after some of the film we discover one of the best pairs of pop culture interpreted by exelente W.Smith and TLJones, besides a story that bet on its originality.
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    Few words in my vocabulary can describe 'Men in Black' other than interesting. Will Smith's comic dialogue coupled with Lee Jones' cynical role generate a fair amount of laughs. The CGI doesn't really the hurt the film, like most times in a live-action movie.
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    Men In Black will always be remembered for its two hilarious front men and it's famous "mind-zapping" tool that is frequently used throughout the series. Although not the best, Men In Black almost makes it there.
  12. Oct 2, 2011
    "Men in Black" is a beast in entertaining the audience. It's joyfully unpredictable and fun with great characters. Great job, Barry Sonfield!!!
  13. Jun 20, 2013
    Men in Black was such an entertaining well acted sci-fi comedy. I enjoyed the chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith and the bugs are kind of cool.
  14. Apr 26, 2013
    A solidly conceived sci-fi action flick that embraces it silliness and offers up a bountiful mass of thrilling laughs.
  15. AlanG
    Jun 17, 2010
    Awesome. One of my favorite sci-fi flicks.
  16. Oct 27, 2010
    Here comes the Men in Black. they won't let you remember.
  17. May 27, 2013
    Men in Black is a fun effects driven blockbuster. It doesn't excel in any particular category but entertains throughout the run time. Linda Fiorentino is easy on the eyes too.
  18. Feb 4, 2011
    Men In Black was entertaining in many ways however there were 2 reasons I found that severely limited it. 1- The Jokes while funny seemed to be more important than the actual story. The jokes seemed to keep the story going.
    2- The story was second rate due to the jokes, too many jokes and not enough story for my taste. Make me laugh, but make a creative story line to keep me encapsulated and interested.
    Because the storyline was run by the jokes, and the jokes weighed down what little there was of the story, the movie came off to me as more of a comedy series on youtube than a quality movie.

At the same time, I love fun comedy and thought the movie made for fun, though pointless TV. In conclusion MIB is very fun, IF your only looking for a laugh. Otherwise your looking as the wrong movie.
  19. Jan 9, 2013
    Men in Black has some funny scenes with interesting characters that make the story move along. Will smith came across as annoying and irritating throughout the film.
  20. Aug 13, 2012
  21. Dec 21, 2012
    A very,very overrated movie.It's a good movie but it does not at all deserve the praise it gets.The movie is quirky,has great special effects,and is funny,but it is also kind of dull.
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    Men in Black attracts like a magnet.
    An extremely smart and comical extra terrestrial adventure, twisted with humanizing moments and characteristics. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones click together in this well directed action comedy.
  23. X.X.
    Jul 3, 2002
    I really enjoyed MIB. It was lighthearted without being stupid, had a definitive story line and was thoroughly entertaining. Anyone who gives it less than an 8 shouldnt watch sci-fi ;)
  24. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    Got it right the first time.
    Feb 3, 2006
    MIB isn't anything more than it is...lite-headed, sci-fi spoof carried well by two great actors. But if that's all you want, MIB will do the job. Don't be fooled by the image of two guys carrying big guns, as the action's not a big priority, and thus isn't impressive. For great alien-blasting action, watch Starship Troopers.
  26. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    Well made hokum! MIB is great fun and real sci-fi eye-candy throughout. The aliens are mostly comical characters and non-threatening but the story contains enough suspense to keep you gripped. Smith infuses the right amount of goofy nonchalance into his character to perfectly counter the earnest and dogmatic Jones. It's great fun with loads of thrills, spills and goo to keep you Well made hokum! MIB is great fun and real sci-fi eye-candy throughout. The aliens are mostly comical characters and non-threatening but the story contains enough suspense to keep you gripped. Smith infuses the right amount of goofy nonchalance into his character to perfectly counter the earnest and dogmatic Jones. It's great fun with loads of thrills, spills and goo to keep you glued 'til the messy end. One for the whole family. Expand
  27. Jan 3, 2015
    Funny and hilarious, and at times not very believable - but that doesn't really matter, now does it? The aliens are not supposed to look real and cool, and this is a comedy rather than a full-blooded action movie. The relationship between our two agents is a bit bumpy, but in the end, they find the same note to follow.
  28. Ozy
    Oct 1, 2014
    This movie promised to be a fun, action packed sci fi comedy. It delivered on that 10/10 it definitely aint no documentary for those of you who are confused.
  29. Jan 8, 2015
    I don't care for Will Smith, because he is WAY over the top with his "street cred" attitude in every show or movie I've ever seen him in. I don't get it. He's not that bad ass to be have that much ego. Further, the movie also contains a token cranky, veteran partner in Tommy Lee Jones who strikes me as just a crotchety old man throughout the whole thing. Great for kids, maybe, butI don't care for Will Smith, because he is WAY over the top with his "street cred" attitude in every show or movie I've ever seen him in. I don't get it. He's not that bad ass to be have that much ego. Further, the movie also contains a token cranky, veteran partner in Tommy Lee Jones who strikes me as just a crotchety old man throughout the whole thing. Great for kids, maybe, but likely will not date well, so the longevity of that demographic remains to be seen. Expand
  30. Apr 23, 2015
    Have you ever seen a tabloid headline like this: "Woman gives birth to son of six-headed alien"? Men in Black, the new science fiction comedy from cinematographer-turned-director Barry Sonnenfeld (Get Shorty), postulates that such stories are not the result of fertile imaginations, but accurate representations of the truth. You see, ever since the 1960s, Earth has become an intergalacticHave you ever seen a tabloid headline like this: "Woman gives birth to son of six-headed alien"? Men in Black, the new science fiction comedy from cinematographer-turned-director Barry Sonnenfeld (Get Shorty), postulates that such stories are not the result of fertile imaginations, but accurate representations of the truth. You see, ever since the 1960s, Earth has become an intergalactic hideout for aliens in need of a place to lie low for a while. Currently, there are over 1500 visitors, most in New York City (based on personal experience, that number may be low), and their ranks include such high-profile names as Sylvester Stallone (he obviously had trouble mastering the language), Newt Gengrich (guess what he looks like in his natural form), and Dennis Rodman (who knew?).

In many ways, Men in Black is the movie that Mars Attacks! wanted to be, but wasn't. This is a snappy, clever, often-funny motion picture that provides the perfect blend of science fiction-style action with comic dialogue. The screenplay, credited to Ed Solomon (and based on the Marvel comic book by Lowell Cunningham) has a sly, sophisticated edge that many blockbuster scripts lack. Sonnenfeld's direction is crisp and the editing is tight, resulting in a film that clocks in at a mere ninety-five minutes, which proves to be a nearly-perfect length.

That's not to say that the movie is of masterpiece status, or even light on flaws. There are plenty of minor problems along the way, and the ending is somewhat rushed and anticlimactic. On the whole, however, viewers are less likely to remember the glitches than the clever one-liners, subtle parodies, and effective use of visual effects to integrate aliens into everyday existence. Men in Black's deliciously unconventional spirit lends a refreshing twist to a premise that has fueled numerous conspiracy theory movies and one currently-popular television series.

The chief pleasure of Men in Black isn't being dazzled by the special effects, but enjoying the deadpan performances of Tommy Lee Jones (whose offhand attitude towards the most bizarre events would make Jack Webb proud) and Will Smith. This is a rare case when the multi-million dollar, computer-generated creatures don't upstage their real-life co-stars. Smith and Jones are a fine pair, and the film's focus on them never wavers. However, while the two leads can't complain about screen-time, the supporting players have all been short-changed. Linda Fiorentino, who gets third billing, is vastly underused, appearing only peripherally throughout. Vincent D'Onofrio (as the bad alien's human host) and Rip Torn (as Zed, the leader of the Men in Black) don't fare much better.

A word of caution for those who expect to see Independence Day 2: despite the attempts of certain marketing campaigns to link the two, they're vastly different in scope and intent. Men in Black is an outright comedy (in fact, some of its satire is directed at movies like last year's box office champ), not a pastiche of worn sci-fi/adventure elements, and there's no big space battle to be found. In fact, from the opening credits to the closing ones, our heroes stay firmly rooted on terra firma. Those accepting Men in Black for what it is will likely agree that this is one of 1997's more satisfying big-budget offerings.

1. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith give uproarious comic performances as government agents ordered to keep New York's monsters in Manhattan, where they'll blend right in with the rest of the confusion.
    The snappy sci-fi hoot Men in Black...is a kind of "Independence Day" for smart people.
  3. A genially twisted riff on the familiar alien invaders story, a lively summer entertainment that marries a deadpan sense of humor to the strangest creatures around.