8.0

1. Jun 8, 2011
    Mr. Allen has rediscovered himself in the form of Owen Wilson and filled him with the verbal wit the younger Woody use to speak. I sat in a full theater two times and joined the others in a practice called "laughing out loud" through the entire film. The characters and cinematic rhythm moved with the beauty of classic Woody films such as "Manhattan". The second viewing filled me with moreMr. Allen has rediscovered himself in the form of Owen Wilson and filled him with the verbal wit the younger Woody use to speak. I sat in a full theater two times and joined the others in a practice called "laughing out loud" through the entire film. The characters and cinematic rhythm moved with the beauty of classic Woody films such as "Manhattan". The second viewing filled me with more laughter. Expand
  2. Jan 31, 2012
    I reserve "10" for best of all time or by my ratings an A+. Mr. Allen has created an A, excellent, exquisite film. Beside the "meaning" or intention, the upside and downside of living in nostalgia, I was taken away by this film. Mr Wilson perfectly channels Mr Allen; dialogue, mannerisms, and all. It made me drift a bit into the period, the people, the wonder, the times. I have never beenI reserve "10" for best of all time or by my ratings an A+. Mr. Allen has created an A, excellent, exquisite film. Beside the "meaning" or intention, the upside and downside of living in nostalgia, I was taken away by this film. Mr Wilson perfectly channels Mr Allen; dialogue, mannerisms, and all. It made me drift a bit into the period, the people, the wonder, the times. I have never been to Paris but I wanted to move to that period. The music, the cinematography, the rain. But alas, that's knowing what I know now and of course that is the false hope of nostalgia. A wonderful film. Expand
  3. Aug 10, 2012
    The return of Woody Allen is in full swing ushered in by (of all people!) Owen Wilson. The film takes a lighthearted jaunt through history and while the tale is familiar, the humor and splendid visuals help this film rise above most.
  4. Jan 16, 2013
    I had no clue, this movie would be so good.I actually never heard of it, before I watched it. It turned out to be an instant Classic! I loved the idea of walking around in different times. This movie inspired me big time!
  5. Feb 13, 2012
    I'm ashamed of myself that I never watched a single Woody Allen movie until now. "Midnight in Paris" is just simply dazzling. The script is smart and provokes intriguing ideas, Owen Wilson is a crappy actor, but not in this movie; Woody Allen pulls out his usefulness and makes him act in his superior form. This is a film any moviegoer or book lover can enjoy altogether.
  6. Feb 13, 2012
    Midnight in Paris was a total surprise. This film not only is a journey through artistic figures but also a ride across Woody Allenâ
  7. Jun 10, 2011
    It may not boast the depth of his classic films, but the sweetly sentimental Midnight in Paris is funny and charming enough to satisfy this Woody Allen fan.
  8. May 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A generally enjoyable, clever movie with an interesting premise, Certainly the best Woody Allen movie in at least 15 years (which isn't saying much). At the same time, you get the feeling that either Woody is in over his head, or that he really is the kind of humanities major, overly awed hack writer that he he portrays in the main character Gil. (Of course, Woody anticipates this kind of criticism in the character of the pseudo-intellectual Paul, which is itself a kind of set-up.) I would have preferred less (albeit amusing) name-dropping and greater development of the personas of the artists he so admires. My biggest criticism is that Woody seems to feel the need to spell out his point (i.e., about the problems in over-idealizing the past) for the audience, which suggest that most viewers aren't capable of figuring the point out for themselves (which may be true). P.S. Marion Cotillard is luminous, both in her acting and in appearance. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2012
    It is refreshing to be able to watch something that feels fresh, a story that has not been told before. Midnight in Paris is based on great script and is brilliantly edited and directed. If the casting was different this could have been a masterpiece.
  10. May 22, 2011
    This is Woody Allen's best movie in years. Not only a favorite of the critics, but a movie the public will love, too. Owen Wilson is perfect for the role and the supporting cast is terrific. A fun (and funny) fantasy that is definitely worth seeing.
  11. Jun 5, 2011
    A perfect movie - smart, funny, beautifully shot and written. Woody Allen on top of his game combing aspects of the old - Annie Hall, Manhattan; the middle years Purple Rose of Cairo; and the rich luster of recent films Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona with a new spin. Owen Wilson is perfect as "Woody".
  12. Dec 17, 2011
    Original beyond belief featuring strong performances and charm and laughs and just an amazing story. Woody Allen directs an amazing movie. With a bit of low budget charm. I give this 94% of a good movie.
  13. Jun 9, 2011
    I loved this movie! Owen Wilson was great in his role, the script was crisp and witty, you really relate to the characters. Very funny and creative, the best Woody Allen movie in years..please go see it!
  14. Oct 24, 2011
    It is a very engaging, highly beautiful film. Just as Gil (Wilson) is mesmerised with the beauty of Paris, so is Allen in his portrayal of the French capital. With beautiful shots of Paris, with some great cinematography, Allen manages to illustrate why Gil loves Paris so much. Asides that, technically, the film is rather well done, with some great production design. The acting is alsoIt is a very engaging, highly beautiful film. Just as Gil (Wilson) is mesmerised with the beauty of Paris, so is Allen in his portrayal of the French capital. With beautiful shots of Paris, with some great cinematography, Allen manages to illustrate why Gil loves Paris so much. Asides that, technically, the film is rather well done, with some great production design. The acting is also very good, with a surprisingly precise Owen Wilson, usually engaging Cotillard, and surprisingly entertaining Kathy Bates. The film, in many ways, is a critique of nostalgia and the power it has over people. Allen makes that rather clear, and it is always entertaining to see how this film has been looked at (and criticised) by both critics and fans as "not quite as good" as Woody's films at his peak... Could have been an intentional commentary of the director - or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Nonetheless, highly entertaining and charming film, definitely worth seeing! Expand
  15. May 31, 2011
    Being a huge Woody Allen fan I had to go see this movie even though, as I write this, it is in limited release. That means driving about 30 miles for me. Was it worth it? Yes. Woody has made many successful "fantasy" films in the past (A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Zelig, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Alice to name a few) and I love all of them. I haven't been a big Owen Wilson fan inBeing a huge Woody Allen fan I had to go see this movie even though, as I write this, it is in limited release. That means driving about 30 miles for me. Was it worth it? Yes. Woody has made many successful "fantasy" films in the past (A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Zelig, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Alice to name a few) and I love all of them. I haven't been a big Owen Wilson fan in the past, but he does a great job in the Woody role for this film. You can't help but think of Woody when hearing this dialogue, however, because it is so similar to other Woody films. I'm not going to give away any of the plot except to say that something magical happens at Midnight, and Gil (the Owen Wilson Character) learns about his current life from the experiences. Everyone in the movie is wonderful. Woody is one of those directors that is capable of getting the absolute best out of actors. Woody is on a role lately with Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match Point and Whatever Works being excellent films. Expand
  16. Jun 24, 2011
    This movie is Woody Allen's love affair with Paris. It is warm and tender. The cinematography is outstanding. Still, I would not call it Allen's best. Some parts of the movie are quite cheesy. Hearing Owen Wilson speak is as if listening to Woody. I found it somewhat annoying. As if Wilson is playing Woody himself. But overall, quite a good piece of entertainment.
  17. May 28, 2011
    At first I had a little problem listening to Owen Wilson playing Woody Allen; however, once the story progressed to the "midnight" part, I was intrigued and had a lot of fun. Some of the characters begin to go a little stock towards the end, but all-in-all a nice picture.
  18. Aug 31, 2011
    This is the typical movie that, if you hear the storyline, you may think it's dumb as hell. If you watch it, it's heaven. I love Woody Allen's movies, and I liked this one as well. Owen Wilson proved he's much more of a Hollywood film star. I loved Marion Cotillard in the role of Adriana. The message of the movie is really interesting also. Fantastic movie, screw the haters.
  19. Nov 6, 2011
    Woody Allen's best film in years! He penned a sweet, charming and poignant script, assembled a top-notch cast, and directed them with grace and elegance in this beautifully shot movie. Owen Wilson is utterly charming and wonderful in this role. Nostalgia can be a cancer if one stops living in the moment, and Midnight In Paris humorously reveals the consequences of believing in "theWoody Allen's best film in years! He penned a sweet, charming and poignant script, assembled a top-notch cast, and directed them with grace and elegance in this beautifully shot movie. Owen Wilson is utterly charming and wonderful in this role. Nostalgia can be a cancer if one stops living in the moment, and Midnight In Paris humorously reveals the consequences of believing in "the good old days". I loved this movie! Expand
  20. Oct 20, 2011
    Watched this at Nova, Lygon St, with 9th class sound. Though the soundtrack was not demanding and therefore Nova was able to reproduce this laid-back french-style fantasy that is intended and was capable of drawing me into the atmosphere. Storyline is somewhat linear so I did not have to think to figure out what was happening (watched afterwork) but just sit back and relax, even just forWatched this at Nova, Lygon St, with 9th class sound. Though the soundtrack was not demanding and therefore Nova was able to reproduce this laid-back french-style fantasy that is intended and was capable of drawing me into the atmosphere. Storyline is somewhat linear so I did not have to think to figure out what was happening (watched afterwork) but just sit back and relax, even just for the visual. As for visual, benchmark is far surpassed that expected in terms of both decorative choice and cinematography.

I did not expected it to be that great of a movie; thought it was just one of those weird movies for the minority with tastes. But it was!! This is one of the few movies that gets me into a lasting mood after the movie!!! =)
  21. May 24, 2011
    It's a charming movie, and Owen Wilson is terrific, but the best Allen movie in 10 or 20 years? Hardly. And that's not setting the bar too high, incidentally. I personally enjoyed Match Point much more. But it's a good movie - the early writers play it in such a fun yet dead-pan fashion that it really works. I just didn't like it nearly as much as many of the professional critics, whichIt's a charming movie, and Owen Wilson is terrific, but the best Allen movie in 10 or 20 years? Hardly. And that's not setting the bar too high, incidentally. I personally enjoyed Match Point much more. But it's a good movie - the early writers play it in such a fun yet dead-pan fashion that it really works. I just didn't like it nearly as much as many of the professional critics, which is fine... Expand
  22. Jul 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thirty years later, Luis Bunuel, no longer a young man but a Spanish ex-patriate biding his time in Mexico, reflects back on France in the 1920s, Jazz-age Paris, the time and place of his sensationalistic calling card, a short film he co-directed with Dali called "Un chien andalou", and remembers the American he met in a bar who pitched him the idea for a film, which at the time, puzzled the young surrealist. The American said he was from the future, and being like any self-respecting dadaist, Bunuel had taken the pronouncement by the delusional man in stride. But now he wonders, after having just won the Palm d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival(for "Virdiana"), if Gil was indeed a time-traveller. To answer his own long-ago question as to why the party guests couldn't simply leave the room, it's because they're idiots, the ruling class, who in "The Exterminating Angel", celebrate their victory over the Popular Front in the Spanish Civil War to such an egregious extent, they resort to mob rule, nearly reducing a mansion to rubble. Released in 1962, the mordant comedy shows how even the bourgeoisie could be victims of totalitarian state. In essence, the film shows them to be little children who need to be told what to do. Left to their own devices, they throw a temper tantrum. The American, surmises Bunuel, must've had previous knowledge about Franco, the fascist dictator in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini, the primary engineers of World War II. Gil, however, without meaning to, threatens the very existence of "The Exterminating Angel" by violating the first law of time travel. In futurist Hans Morveac's own words: "...a message sent to the past will alter the entire history." In Bunuel's case, stealing the intellectual property of a Hollywood professional could serve as revenge for how Warner Bros. appropriated his idea about a self-mobilizing hand("The Beast with Five Fingers") during a stint in the dubbing department. But then again, lifting the storyline from a hack writer, especially an American one, would be beneath him. Surely, after winning the top prize at the world's most prestigious film festival, Bunuel must've had offers from Hollywood, and yet history shows, he chose to toil away in Mexico as a director for hire. Unaware, perhaps, at the time of his first exile that American businesses supported Franco's fascist movement, Bunuel wasn't liable to sell-out his compatriots a second time around, this time knowingly. But if because of Gil's meddling, "The Exterminating Angel" never comes to fruition, then it's reasonable to conclude that another film which lampoons the upper class, "The Discreet Charm...", which features the same enigmatic impotence among the rich in regard to their ability to make a decision, would likewise, disappear from Bunuel's filmography. Gil, who professes to abhor the conservative politics of Inez and his prospective in-laws, unwittingly becomes one of them by sabotaging two great leftist films that baited the rich with provocative glee. A self-described liberal, Gil is more of the latte-sipping kind, the liberal elite, the sort who are said to be out of touch with the real needs of the proletariat. Only a chameleon could live with someone as materialistic and callow as Inez, his flinty fiance. The milieu of "The Roaring Twenties" also provides the setting for "Zelig", the 1983 mockumentary about a man named Leonard Zelig, a mutant("X-Men", anybody?) who could blend in with people of all creeds and colors. For the diegetic F. Scott Fitzgerald, it's deja vu all over again. In "Zelig", the narrator chronicles the famous author having met a man at a swanky party who mingled with socialites and servants alike, and now in "Midnight in Paris", "The Great Gatsby" author encounters a similarly adaptable man, a starving artist among starving artists, albeit one who could return to six or seven-figure paydays should his adventures in novel-writing not quite pan out. "The rich are different," Fitzgerald once said, and Gil is indeed different, a poseur, whose carriage and deportment wouldn't escape the astute writer's eye. Like "Forrest Gump", this love letter to Paris is the stuff of science fiction. Whereas the Robert Zemeckis film(infamous for its ideologically conservative subtext) presents a parallel universe, "Midnight in Paris"(like "The Purple Rose of Cairo") uses magic realism, grounded in the corporeal world. In both films, you have rightist protagonists who act as muses for progressive icons. Turnaround, however, is fair play. Cecilia, who gets her heart broken by Tom Baxer(the actor) in the 1985 classic, is avenged, in a sense, by Marion, who leaves the Hollywood scribe before he gets the chance to do the same. Unlike Cecilia, Gil chooses fantasy(the past) over reality(present), but like the Depression-era movielover, ends up with neither. Alas, this time, Hollywood gets burned. Expand
  23. BKM
    Jan 31, 2012
    Woody Allen's latest film is as light as air, but still manages to say something of substance about the dangers of nostalgia and romanticizing the past. The main love story is not between Wilson and McAdams, but between Wilson and his idealized vision of 1920s Paris. The insights provided by the film may be minor (to paraphrase Wilson's character), but they are still most welcome.
  24. Jun 3, 2011
    I loved this movie. It was entertaining, imaginative, and had great cinematography. I'm surprised that it didn't get better reviews by Lisa Schwarzbaum, Dana Stevens, and the AV Club. Just goes to show, I should never pay attention to critics unless they unanimously pan a movie ) in which case I'll take that into consideration.) Seriously, movie critics are pretty unnecessary nowadaysI loved this movie. It was entertaining, imaginative, and had great cinematography. I'm surprised that it didn't get better reviews by Lisa Schwarzbaum, Dana Stevens, and the AV Club. Just goes to show, I should never pay attention to critics unless they unanimously pan a movie ) in which case I'll take that into consideration.) Seriously, movie critics are pretty unnecessary nowadays since there are plenty of smart people out there who can no write their own reviews via the internet. Expand
  25. Jan 28, 2012
    There is a certain chemistry or make-up in film that yields the perfect result, for me. Writing is primary. The story has to be enticing. The dialogue has to be intriguing. The acting has to be believable. The setting, ideally, would play a supporting role in the overall theme, almost like a character in and of itself. While Owen Wilson doesn't stretch much as an actor, he playsThere is a certain chemistry or make-up in film that yields the perfect result, for me. Writing is primary. The story has to be enticing. The dialogue has to be intriguing. The acting has to be believable. The setting, ideally, would play a supporting role in the overall theme, almost like a character in and of itself. While Owen Wilson doesn't stretch much as an actor, he plays "Owen Wilson" perfectly and, thus, is the perfect cast as Gil, a screenwriter who makes the leap to novels, yet doesn't have the self-confidence to fulfill his potential. Through a series of midnight, time-traveling trists, Gil meets his artistic idols, from literary giants Hemingway and Fitzgerald, to painters Matisse and Salvador Dali, who all, through almost dream-like inspiration, allow him to clarify his own reality. "Paris" is so perfectly-written that it is almost unfair to others nominated for screenplays this year. At this writing, "Hugo" is the only Best Pic nominee I've not seen and, so far, "Paris" only slightly surpasses "My Week with Marilyn," even though the latter has stronger individual performances. For all intents and purposes, "Midnight in Paris" is a flawless film leaving one to wonder, "Who has the intellect and writing skills to replace Woody Allen when he is gone?" I can't imagine whom that would be. Expand
  26. Jun 27, 2011
    Any fan of Woody Allen should see this film. Anyone who has ever been enchanted by Gertrude Stein's circle of artists and writers will LOVE this film. One of his very best, similar in tone to "Purple Rose of Cairo."
  27. Jun 11, 2011
    This film was good but if it had centered as much time on the modern day characters, it would have soared. As it is, it is a one dimensional film where all the attention is great but you realize at the end that you were cheated. Look at the previews, those are the entire story involving the modern day characters.I caught two or three subplots that were totally ignored. I found it to be aThis film was good but if it had centered as much time on the modern day characters, it would have soared. As it is, it is a one dimensional film where all the attention is great but you realize at the end that you were cheated. Look at the previews, those are the entire story involving the modern day characters.I caught two or three subplots that were totally ignored. I found it to be a light entertaining comedy. Expand
  28. Dec 8, 2012
    We begin with shots of Paris (yes, some of them in the rain) and I think I
  29. May 31, 2011
    Grade: A-

Grade: A-

The Golden Age is a period of great peace and happiness, an ideal era that is ultimately self-labelled by the subjective minded individual. Woody Allen takes this farcical notion and expands it through the enchanting backdrop of France intertwining it with somewhat of magical storytelling. By doing so, he illustrates the futility of this "Golden Age" belief. With the charm and insight that channels his work prior to the 90s, Allen's Midnight In Paris gives us a glimpse of the director's comedic brilliance that has been unseen since Crimes And Misdemeanors.

Taking a page from previous work The Purple Rose of Cairo, Allen re explores the "what-if" type of narrative, a wish-granted hypothetical situation. Midnight In Paris tells the story of screenwriter turned novelist, Gil Pender (Owen Wilson). On a vacation with his conventional fiancee (Rachel McAdams), Pender wanders away into Paris and is then transported by a car to the 1920s, the era in which he preconceives as perfect. There he meets the Lost Generation's Fitzgeralds and Hemmingway, and other iconic figures from the 20s. He soon conceives the idea that he finds inspiration in this past era, but finds out nostalgia is not all what it is said to be. Gil's transportation to the Golden Age of Paris is romanticized and illustrates the Parisian street setting as one of charm. Overall, the story gives off a dream sense of emotion with its subtle yet captivating cinematography and balances it with its entertaining story. Although none of the performances necessarily standout (Cotillard, who plays Owen's eventual love interest, comes close), Allen's clever writing gives the film its intellect and also its humor. The film does not quite have as much depth as Annie Hall (but I mean, what does?), but its charm and sentiment undoubtedly satisfies the cultured and romantic individual in us all.
  30. Jun 12, 2011
    Owen Wilson plays a Hollywood screenwriter visiting Paris, who fancies the city's golden glory of the 20s. At the clock's chime, he's transported back to that era, where he meets a who's who of literary and art legends. This a successful light comedy for Allen, which doesn't mean guffaws and pratfalls, but knowing, educated chuckles. As usual, the characters range from neurotic toOwen Wilson plays a Hollywood screenwriter visiting Paris, who fancies the city's golden glory of the 20s. At the clock's chime, he's transported back to that era, where he meets a who's who of literary and art legends. This a successful light comedy for Allen, which doesn't mean guffaws and pratfalls, but knowing, educated chuckles. As usual, the characters range from neurotic to beautiful. The City of Lights is presented in lovely luminosity and Wilson is appealing. A witty and charming trifle. Expand
  31. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Who says they don't make 'em like that anymore? This is a fun, sweet, interesting movie, with well realized characters... many of whom are beautifully portrayed artists, writers, and other well known celebrities oft he Golden era of Paris. This is a fascinating and sensitively rendered story of a deeply engaging and romantic era, contrasted with the almost universal lack of pizazz of modern times . Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein is terrific, as are many others in small by beautifully portrayed roles brought to life by known, and not so well known, actors and actresses with bright futures. This is a movie to make everyone in it proud, and one that will charm you so deeply that you will never forget Midnight In Paris... it makes you want to run away to the Paris of that bygone age... when just being alive was electric, and life was so rich and intense that you were drunk on the joy of life; a time when global warming and outrageous corporate greed were unimaginable. Go early, so you can see it more than once before it leaves theaters. One of the few pictures in along time that was more than worth the price of a ticket... You might say that Midnight In paris is an over-night success. Expand
  32. Mar 13, 2012
    Not generally a fan of Woody Allen, I was pleasantly surprised by Midnight in Paris. Charming and quirky, I found myself smiling throughout the film and afterwards. Depending on which of the male characters you more closely resemble, you may either glow in the historical and literary references or look down upon them. Not being a particular student of either, I found myself happilyNot generally a fan of Woody Allen, I was pleasantly surprised by Midnight in Paris. Charming and quirky, I found myself smiling throughout the film and afterwards. Depending on which of the male characters you more closely resemble, you may either glow in the historical and literary references or look down upon them. Not being a particular student of either, I found myself happily transported both by the whimsy and the theater like touches of music and scene transitions. Expand
  33. Aug 12, 2011
    I'm in love with Marion Cotillard, well W. Allen wrote an amazing script and taking good care led many details at first seemed a little boring, but then admitted me into a past-present mess that made the movie a memorable moment.
  34. Nov 17, 2012
    I make no effort to hide my admiration of Woody Allen, but I also make no effort to hide the fact that he hasn
  35. Feb 11, 2012
    Hemingway, Picasso, all we never heard if we are not go to college of literature or art. Woody Allen's latest is sweet, heartwarming and cheerful. It's beautiful fantasy movie about time-travelling. Paris is magic!
  36. Jun 25, 2011
    I am a big fan of Woody Allen and although this is not a big movie or even close to his best, it is still very good. It's a fine role for Owen Wilson and the gorgeous Rachel MacAdams is perfect . The film stretches both of them as actors and no doubt opens new possibilities for the future. Marion Cotillard is also quite beautiful and decorates the screen whenever she is on. An interestingI am a big fan of Woody Allen and although this is not a big movie or even close to his best, it is still very good. It's a fine role for Owen Wilson and the gorgeous Rachel MacAdams is perfect . The film stretches both of them as actors and no doubt opens new possibilities for the future. Marion Cotillard is also quite beautiful and decorates the screen whenever she is on. An interesting mood is established with the time travel element striking a wonderful fanciful chord with the introduction of so many famous and well known artistic types. I find that as I think more about the film since I've seen it, I like it ever better. Expand
  37. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Midnight in Paris is the best movie of the year so far and one of Woody Allenâ Expand
  38. Jul 5, 2011
    Easily the best and the most accessible Woody Allen movie in years. Shockingly, it was sold out the first 2 times I tried to see it. Witty, intelligent, with outstanding natural performances. I've always considered Owen Wilson a somewhat limited actor in terms of range, but his performance hits the right notes. He conveys a romantic wonder at what occurs, but he doesn't overdo it withEasily the best and the most accessible Woody Allen movie in years. Shockingly, it was sold out the first 2 times I tried to see it. Witty, intelligent, with outstanding natural performances. I've always considered Owen Wilson a somewhat limited actor in terms of range, but his performance hits the right notes. He conveys a romantic wonder at what occurs, but he doesn't overdo it with the gosh, gee whiz it's Picasso stuff. The movie has the ring of truth in that we tend to romanticize the past, ignoring the downsides. Sure, we might wish we lived in the big band era, but don't forget people were dying of polio. It was definitely a crowd pleaser and a welcome antidote to the slew of comic book films aimed at teenagers. Expand
  39. POV
    Jul 6, 2011
    Well...Woody Allen is Woody Allen yet again. Obeying his one movie per year oath, Allen creates Midnight in Paris as a magical, character-driven rom com. Enjoyable characters-not overly neurotic males nor hysterical women, just borderline so- a catchy, albeit fresh twist & reversal-ful plot. A movie that can keep you watching. Will it though? It might.
  40. Aug 8, 2011
    great movie it was funny and touching. Owen Wilson's performance will be remembered. Marion Cotillard did a great job as well. the story was simple. it was memorable.
  41. Jun 12, 2011
    This is one very good movie. Just to see Paris is worth the price of the ticket. But there's more, much more. The writing and directing is Woody Allen in great form. The actors are terrific as is the editing. I did not give this the highest rating because of several continuity glitches.
  42. Aug 9, 2011
    A film that sadly doesn't live up to it's hype. Sure, seeing Woody Allen go back to his roots with Owen Wilson that can become a spot on copycat of Allen himself at times is great. However, Wilson's charm isn't enough to film the multiple gaps in realism that a film of this fantasy and magnitude needs. Simply, Midnight In Paris tries to be an artsy magical fantasy for adults but fallsA film that sadly doesn't live up to it's hype. Sure, seeing Woody Allen go back to his roots with Owen Wilson that can become a spot on copycat of Allen himself at times is great. However, Wilson's charm isn't enough to film the multiple gaps in realism that a film of this fantasy and magnitude needs. Simply, Midnight In Paris tries to be an artsy magical fantasy for adults but falls apart because of the carelessness of the script. Expand
  43. Jun 15, 2011
    I usually don't like Woody Allen films, as I find them boring and self-indulgent. However, Midnight in Paris is an excellent movie - funny, sweet, whimsical, and romantic. The actors are all excellent and the script is funny and believable. The scenery in Paris is beautiful and the cinematography is well done. Surprisingly, I really liked it!
  44. Dec 30, 2011
    I loved how the film's setting brought out it's themes. The film's flow and how the events occur feel natural and our often quite funny. I have not seen any Woody Allen films except this one but this really sparked my interest. The film is a bout nostalgia and the modern day and how people are always searching for the life they don't have. It's romantic funny and greatly acted by owen wilson
  45. Jun 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the many fine elements that truly makes this film work is Woody Allen's uncanny casting of not only the principle players but of his circa 1920's "Lost Generation" cast. Without giving anything away story-wise, his casting of "Ernest Hemingway" (Corey Stoll) was so spot on in look and voice that I (as an acknowledge fan & Hemingway scholar) froze in my tracks. Same goes for "F. Scott Fitzgerald" (Tom Hiddleston) and "Gertrude Stein" (Kathy Bates!). If you enjoy reading the Novels and Writings of America's creative men and women writers living in Paris in the 1920's, you will die and ....want to go to....Paris! Expand
  46. Jun 26, 2011
    I liked this movie although not what I expected going in. Owen Wilson does a nice job in his role. and is funny at times. This is a typical Woody Allen movie but more tamed than his other flicks. Enjoyable and worth the ticket price. Would recommend it and its a movie that the whole family can enjoy.
  47. Sep 4, 2011
    Could this be the best movie of the year? Well, so far, at least... Midnight in Paris is one of the smartest, most creative movies of the year, that certainly met my high expectations. Allen's verbose screenplay is funny, ironic and appropriately mysterious, which supplements the 'lack-of-explanation' behind Gill's time traveling adventures. The whimsical cast is luminous, particularlyCould this be the best movie of the year? Well, so far, at least... Midnight in Paris is one of the smartest, most creative movies of the year, that certainly met my high expectations. Allen's verbose screenplay is funny, ironic and appropriately mysterious, which supplements the 'lack-of-explanation' behind Gill's time traveling adventures. The whimsical cast is luminous, particularly Corey Stoll whose receiving little traction for his small, but booming performance as Hemingway; stealing all the scenes he's in. The story-telling is a triumph, teaching one to appreciate the present for what it is, despite all that is going on. All this works well with the fine production, particularly its cinematography and time altering costumes and sets. There's not much to complain about here... 2 thumbs up. Expand
  48. Jul 2, 2011
    In my opinion this movie is a very good movie. The setting, Paris, is a very beautiful city, which is a great setting for a movie. I think the story was well told, along with the acting, which made me fell good about the movie at the end. This is definitely a movie worth seeing.
  49. Jul 3, 2011
    It's not often you can truly relate to someone's love-affair with a city, yet the Paris cityscapes are so mesmerizingly captured, you not only understand, but are enamored yourself. Being an art/literary ignoramus, I missed most of the historical references, but the characterization was brilliant and charming; a constrast to the lead cast who felt forced and flat. The backdrop of a rich,It's not often you can truly relate to someone's love-affair with a city, yet the Paris cityscapes are so mesmerizingly captured, you not only understand, but are enamored yourself. Being an art/literary ignoramus, I missed most of the historical references, but the characterization was brilliant and charming; a constrast to the lead cast who felt forced and flat. The backdrop of a rich, snooty, indifferent fiancée was a bit contrived but forgivable, and one would be hard pressed to find a more inspiring location for the message at heart. Expand
  50. Jul 8, 2011
    Wilson delivers a genuine Woody Allen-esque character with his subtle, internal conflicts that slowly reveal themselves throughout the movie as innocent, soft-spoken tourettes. It's a charming, slow moving picture that takes you back in time. I enjoyed watching it, but it's not one I would keep in my Blu-Ray collection.
  51. Jul 11, 2011
    Very cool movie if you're into the idea that there are amazing places outside of America, which I am. I'm not always a Woody Allen fan, but thought it was supremely entertaining.
  52. Jul 12, 2011
    Can't believe I'm saying this but this movie pretty good. Considering the movie is written and directed by Woody Allen. The movie has a smooth story line, good character development, especially with Owen Wilson character, you can't help to get caught up in what he feels. The film is a must see!
  53. j30
    Apr 23, 2012
    Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris is one of the best films he has made in some years. If you're a fan of Allen's work you'll enjoy this one. Owen Wilson plays the typical (Woody Allen) neurotic character (and he nails it) lost in the streets in Paris after midnight. I won't give away any more just go see it.
  54. Jul 20, 2011
    Loved it! Rachel McAdams was pretty annoying and I really disliked her, which is great cause I love her in most films so she did very well in selling her role. Owen Wilson was fantastic, he usually is. He has that almost innocent quality not ignorant but ordinary guy kinda vibe that I relate to. Micheal Sheen was good I loathed his character which again I normally like him, he sold theLoved it! Rachel McAdams was pretty annoying and I really disliked her, which is great cause I love her in most films so she did very well in selling her role. Owen Wilson was fantastic, he usually is. He has that almost innocent quality not ignorant but ordinary guy kinda vibe that I relate to. Micheal Sheen was good I loathed his character which again I normally like him, he sold the arrogance. Excellent cinematography. I can't wait to see it again Expand
  55. Jul 27, 2011
    I LOVED this film! Perhaps, I'm just nostalgic for Paris in the 1920's (and the 1890's!), but Kathy Bates' cameo as Gertrude Stein was pitch perfect, and Owen Wilson did a fine job of embodying the nerdy, intellectual Woody Allen character without Woody's ticks. The movie is sweet, fun and shows Paris at her best with some stunning, gorgeous cinematography. Magnifique!
  56. Aug 2, 2011
    Midnight in Paris makes me wanna escape to the 20's Montmartre and dance Charleston in speakeasy bars with the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Picasso and Dali. It resemblances Purple Rose of Cairo, a Woody Allen classic from the 80's. Both films display a protagonist fed up with the current, longing for a fantasy. Gil's fantasy is Paris in the 20's, which he gets to experience - just to testifyMidnight in Paris makes me wanna escape to the 20's Montmartre and dance Charleston in speakeasy bars with the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Picasso and Dali. It resemblances Purple Rose of Cairo, a Woody Allen classic from the 80's. Both films display a protagonist fed up with the current, longing for a fantasy. Gil's fantasy is Paris in the 20's, which he gets to experience - just to testify that grass is always greener on the other side. Anyone who likes Woody Allen or Paris should see this movie! Expand
  57. Jan 27, 2012
    This is a delightful, smart, superb piece of filmmaking. It is a film that succeeds at every level: technical, acting, writing and directing. And one of the best pictures of 2011.
  58. Jan 9, 2012
    This is why I love Woody Allen's film.His writing and Directing style just goes trough the body into the heart .Midnight in Paris is Woody's best work since the 19s .The story is incredible and how he showed "Time Travel" with literature and Romantic was awesome. the music of the film was so amazing and wow , Its one of the best music work i have seen . & Paris Paris Paris ...... I'm inThis is why I love Woody Allen's film.His writing and Directing style just goes trough the body into the heart .Midnight in Paris is Woody's best work since the 19s .The story is incredible and how he showed "Time Travel" with literature and Romantic was awesome. the music of the film was so amazing and wow , Its one of the best music work i have seen . & Paris Paris Paris ...... I'm in love with Paris. The way woody showed Paris anyone will fall in love with it . It was remarkable . The opening Montage was really cool and nice idea . The dialogues were so perfect , funny and meaningful . Owen did awesome job as the lead role . Also Rachel, Michael , Kathy , Mari , Tom and others did an amazing job . Paris im midnight even in the 21s it so amazing and it dose looks so romantic and amazing in Rain . Woody's Midnight in Paris is clearly in 2011's top ten . Midnight in Paris is a perfect movie to enjoy alone an with others . Its an amazing film to realize how to enjoy life . Paris in midnight ...Wow woody wow ......wow . Tnx so much (woody) for this wonderful , Amazing , Awesome , Reamrkable Movie . Expand
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    An exquisite artwork of colourful characters, who all possess qualities that more or less contribute to the make-up of the paint and canvas, and the awe-inspiring surroundings of Paris, such as the glittering lights on the water and the shining little alleyways from little side-streets and cobblestone paths. Well, there's so much more, with the usual sights such as the Eiffel Tower andAn exquisite artwork of colourful characters, who all possess qualities that more or less contribute to the make-up of the paint and canvas, and the awe-inspiring surroundings of Paris, such as the glittering lights on the water and the shining little alleyways from little side-streets and cobblestone paths. Well, there's so much more, with the usual sights such as the Eiffel Tower and even over the particular bridge overlooking the lilies on the pond which was painted by Monet, but Woody Allen certainly has a thing of capturing the wonderful spirit of the small things. I think his point was to look at the surroundings of Paris at all times of the day, but we certainly got to look at the irrefutable sophistication of historical characters, which in no way conveyed a sense of patronising naivety, who could be said to be fascinating. With multiple angles and dry humour, this film has class with the use of talented actors and actresses and ends on a stylishly sweet note, ironically beginning the dream of a happily settled character (and audience) with not a scent of cliché in the Paris air. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2011
    I had high expectations for this movie have always been among every "front-runner" list all over the internet. It's not the first time that I saw a movie about a "present-past" coexistence thing, or whatever you might call it in the film industry jargon. And, I thought that the movie "Moments of Love" released sometime in 2004 (Philippines) with the same concept was even written better.I had high expectations for this movie have always been among every "front-runner" list all over the internet. It's not the first time that I saw a movie about a "present-past" coexistence thing, or whatever you might call it in the film industry jargon. And, I thought that the movie "Moments of Love" released sometime in 2004 (Philippines) with the same concept was even written better. Although "Midnight in Paris" is still worthy of a "good" description, it is undeniable to say that it does not reach the expectations.

Here are my recommendations scores for the movie at movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  61. Dec 20, 2011
    My type of comedies. A very good movie made for literates and people that like to read books. Wait, literates and people that like to read are the same thing. Either way, if you love literature and art then this is the perfect movie for you. There's many references to art and literature throughout the film to keep you entertained and educated. This film would most likely appeal to femaleMy type of comedies. A very good movie made for literates and people that like to read books. Wait, literates and people that like to read are the same thing. Either way, if you love literature and art then this is the perfect movie for you. There's many references to art and literature throughout the film to keep you entertained and educated. This film would most likely appeal to female audiences but that doesn't mean that a guy can also like it. The plot is basically about a romance that isn't fit. So Gil(Owen Wilson) starts to take walks in Paris during night, yes this film takes place during Paris one of my favorite cities. Gil ends up traveling back in time to the Golden Age of art and literature. And meets a lady that he loves. I will not say what ends up happening because you probably already figured it out for yourself, especially if you watch a lot of romantic comedies. Another important part to the plot is that people want a better life different then the one they already have. There is one part of the film I didn't like and that was the introduction of the detective character. The character was introduced towards the end of the film and then just disappears. I guess that's how Woody Allen does his movies. Also the writing is good too if you haven't figured it out. Expand
  62. Dec 15, 2011
    The poster of "Midnight in Paris" perfectly summarizes the whole movie. You have Owen Wilson walking through the streets. He's the character that is front and center. Writer/director Woody Allen uses Wilson to share his own thoughts about what it means to live in the present and admire the past. Then you have the magical backdrop of Paris behind Wilson. Behind Allen's camera, the streetsThe poster of "Midnight in Paris" perfectly summarizes the whole movie. You have Owen Wilson walking through the streets. He's the character that is front and center. Writer/director Woody Allen uses Wilson to share his own thoughts about what it means to live in the present and admire the past. Then you have the magical backdrop of Paris behind Wilson. Behind Allen's camera, the streets of Paris beautifully come alive in this film. You feel sucked into the look and style of it all. Allen has always been a master at capturing a setting, but he really outdoes himself here. And beneath all of the beauty and insight comes a sharply funny script from Allen and a pitch-perfect performance from Owen Wilson. Allen gives him the prototypical "Woody Allen" character, and he completely embraces it and makes it his own. All in all, "Midnight in Paris" is a magically charming movie. It's one of those films that will leave you with a big fat grin on your face, and at the same time, it will leave you in awe of such a beautiful city like Paris. Expand
  63. Dec 21, 2011
    Cute, and the vignettes of Jazz Age literary and musical figures are entertaining, but overall the plot is predictable and the characterizations superficial. Sweet and Lowdown is far better.
  64. Dec 24, 2011
    WOW! Such a great movie. I loved the acting, the plot...and just about everything! I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good movie. ................................................................................................................
  65. Jan 3, 2012
    Delightful fantasy from Woodman. Seen it for the fourth time already. His third biggest film in the last 10 years after Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
  66. Feb 29, 2012
    Its suck a unique film that raises a lot of questions, unfortunately some that are left unanswered are plot holes rather than a true reflection. Their are some truly histerical moments, and the acting is really well done but it seems like its a movie that just got to edited. So much just seems missing like someone ripped a chapter right out of a book. Its an enjoyable watch, and uniqueIts suck a unique film that raises a lot of questions, unfortunately some that are left unanswered are plot holes rather than a true reflection. Their are some truly histerical moments, and the acting is really well done but it seems like its a movie that just got to edited. So much just seems missing like someone ripped a chapter right out of a book. Its an enjoyable watch, and unique enough to make it memorable, but not enough to make me really care. Bottom line, its better than almost all romantic comedies but it is so unfulfilled that its almost depressing because you know that had they added a little more it could have been great. Expand
  67. Feb 7, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by this film, very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Got lost in the story and the cinematography was a great advert for Paris.
  68. Jan 25, 2012
    One of the best movies of 2011. Woody once again writes a great story with a message that I personally could relate to a lot: a desire to live in another time. With a terrific ensemble cast with the likes of Owen Wilson, Tom Hiddleston, and Kathy Bates (just scratching the surface), Midnight in Paris will leave you content and proves to be another quality Woody Allen film.
  69. Feb 8, 2012
    Now that i saw it 5+ times, i think this is one of the best Woody Allen movies ever. One of my most favorite movies of the year, deserves all the acclaim and awards it got. Midnight in Paris gets better and more interesting at every watch and it is a movie that i can survive watching over and over again! this movie has some great underlying humor that comes off quite beautiful, charmingNow that i saw it 5+ times, i think this is one of the best Woody Allen movies ever. One of my most favorite movies of the year, deserves all the acclaim and awards it got. Midnight in Paris gets better and more interesting at every watch and it is a movie that i can survive watching over and over again! this movie has some great underlying humor that comes off quite beautiful, charming and very smart and clever as usual for a Woody Allen written movie. Superbly directed and masterfully written with good performances and original themes, this is one of the best romantic comedies and comedies in general i have seen in years. Expand
  70. EMP
    Feb 11, 2012
    Beautiful photography and scenes â
  71. Feb 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If i have to explain in very few words then i would say, Artistic and Brilliant. The kind of beauty has shown in this movie is beautiful. Beauty of Paris is worth praising. There were many moments that made me learn some amazing things and facts about life. One should be with the person that respect his/her partner's opinions. Screenplay of the movie was really smooth and there was not any dull moment in the movie. At the end you will say that i loved it. A must watch. Expand
  72. Jun 9, 2012
    Midnight in Paris is warm, delightful and charming, with Paris setting the stage for a perfect blend of romance and comedy. This film is a real tribute to art.
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Midnight In Paris was funny, sweet, and beautifullyy filmed. I'm glad I'm a Woody Allen Fan. http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/2012/03/midnight-paris-movie-review
  74. Feb 24, 2012
    i don't know what it is about this movie, but I've watched so many times and I also got back to some scenes so many times. it is so dreamy and it takes me away into another world like no other movie. maybe because the protagonist is experiencing something that we would like too, fullfillment of his dreams.
  75. Aug 25, 2014
    Amidst a long list of genuinely great Woody Allen films, this one bolts right towards the top of that list. Midnight in Paris is as magical as it is sentimental. It's an ode to a beautiful city and peculiar characters of our past, this film will be long remembered.
  76. Mar 26, 2012
    The movie is about knowing who is right for you. We may think the person we love is in front of us, but in reality we have nothing in common with them. The other thing the movie tackles is nostalgia, something that a lot of us can relate too. Owen Wilsonâ
  77. Apr 8, 2012
    Its a genius interacting with the history and the future of every single character.
    A beautiful story with talented actors and directing work perfectly by Woody Allen.
  78. Apr 26, 2012
    A truly beautiful film by the great Woody Allen. Mesmerizing and astonishing it's a film that should definitely be watched. Owen Wilson is great in this role and the meeting of history's greatest was amazing.
  79. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most nostalgic and elegant movie i have ever seen.
    the sets and locations of fantastic Paris are perfect.
    It is especially made with feel good factor which is the most crucial thing.
    Everything is just excellent ,Owen Wilson is so charming and sweet,his best performance so far,and the supportive cast did very good.
    Marion Cotillard looks so glamorous and lovely.
    Really liked those funny scenes with legends especially with Salvador Dali.
    My younger brother suggested me to read a short story "The Third Level", bu Jack Finney,before watching the movie.
    Both are extremely related.
    i really loved the concept of time travelling to 1920's 1890's and so on.
    Must say the best screenplay of the year and movie too.
    Woody Allen,you are just great.
  80. May 25, 2012
    The script is top-notch, it is gorgeously filmed, fantastically directed and has some great acting. Sometiems Woody Allen wins some, and other times he loses some. He won some with M.I.P. as it is one of the best films of 2011.
  81. Jun 12, 2012
    I watched the movie (no prior synopsis) for two reasons: Paris, which I love, having been there several times and Kathy Bates. I didn't know it was an Allen film until the opening credits. Once knowing the latter, I knew what I was in store for. An Allen-penned central character is in a constant state of flux, often bemused and wondering "Why is this happening to me and why don't othersI watched the movie (no prior synopsis) for two reasons: Paris, which I love, having been there several times and Kathy Bates. I didn't know it was an Allen film until the opening credits. Once knowing the latter, I knew what I was in store for. An Allen-penned central character is in a constant state of flux, often bemused and wondering "Why is this happening to me and why don't others around me understand me? How the Owen's and McAdam's characters even got together, much less engaged, is beyond me. Truly oil and water. He, the hopeless romantic, who falls in love with Paris and the aesthetics of the 1920's and she, the Type-A, in-your-face, critical Material Girl who thinks the world revolves around her and doesn't understand her man or much cares. A common Allen theme is to have a self-absorbed, bragging show-off, in this case, Paul. No one around him except Gil Pender, sees this and Gil wastes no time in dive bombing him to no avail. Was Earnest Hemingway really like this in true life or just a caricature. It's as if he is saying, "I am a Man and I do great things and if you don't do great things also, you are not a Man". Gil IS Woody Allen only younger, taller and better looking. Before you accuse me of being Anti-Semitic, celluloid history bears me out. I call it the "We Jews have been persecuted for 2000 years" syndrome. Be it Woody Allen, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, the Seinfeld Gang, etc, it seems to be all about complaining (Oh woe is me) and over analyzing others around them. Gil never truly asserts himself in the movie, but seems to always be holding on to a life preserver just to keep his head above water. Back to the movie...the cinematography of Paris was beautiful as were the costumes, set design, music and lighting in the 1920's sequences. I was dismayed to see the fine actress Kathy Bates relegated to a 10 line cameo role as was Adrian Brody. Well known actors (Oscar or not) seem to love being in a Woody Allen film, even in a diminished sub role. Of course, filming in Paris and the large salary for little work doesn't hurt either. The beautiful Marion Cotillard was a delight as the equally romantic, soul-searching Adriana. I kept wondering what the purpose was to throw in more and more literary or painting giants in each 1920's trip. Only 3 in the 1890's sequence, but that's because it was just one scene. In the end, our hero finds his soul mate, Gabrielle. A woman of heart and soul that compliments Gil. You might think, given my critique, that I did not enjoy the film. I did enjoy the movie, although I would've enjoyed it more if Gil stood up to Inez or even slapped her (just kidding, but hey, she would've deserved it, right?). If you are an incurable romantic and/or Francophile, like myself, you will enjoy this movie. Expand
  82. Mar 13, 2015
    Boasting charming color palettes, witty writing and polished performances, Woody Allen's 'Midnight in Paris' is a humbly brilliant meta masterwork that whimsically explores the caricature of the dreamy intellectual, and meditates on the necessity of escapism in our quest to give meaning to existence.
  83. Jan 28, 2013
    Midnight in Paris is great. It perfectly mixes the Twilight Zone with a romantic comedy. It's full of witty humor and great acting. Then entire time you're gripped by both Owen Wilson's great performance as the confused writer and by the beauty that is Paris that Woody Allen highlights upon moment that he gets the chance. The movie is indeed artistic making it pleasant to watch and evenMidnight in Paris is great. It perfectly mixes the Twilight Zone with a romantic comedy. It's full of witty humor and great acting. Then entire time you're gripped by both Owen Wilson's great performance as the confused writer and by the beauty that is Paris that Woody Allen highlights upon moment that he gets the chance. The movie is indeed artistic making it pleasant to watch and even more enjoyable to the eyes. I could see how this movie could not be your cup of tea but I can't see how anyone could say that it's bad. Expand
  84. Jun 3, 2015
    Midnight in Paris is a great piece of film. I have limited exposure to Woody Allen and am really glad I watched this one. Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, and the rest of the large cast are all phenomenal. The direction from Woody Allen is very good and the writing is strong for the most part, though it does falter at times. However, I loved the unique idea here as this oneMidnight in Paris is a great piece of film. I have limited exposure to Woody Allen and am really glad I watched this one. Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, and the rest of the large cast are all phenomenal. The direction from Woody Allen is very good and the writing is strong for the most part, though it does falter at times. However, I loved the unique idea here as this one is not really a romantic film in the traditional sense. Rather, it is a love letter to Paris, the past, and the present. A unique film in which a man is able to travel back in time at midnight in Paris, this one shows a man come to terms with who he is and where he is in life by going back in time. Throughout, many scenes are filmed a gorgeous golden filter to them, which gives a feeling of "perfection" and the "golden age" that is allured to many times throughout the film, which provides this film with quite the luscious look to it. In addition, it manages to suck up all the beauty of the city of Paris, both in the day and night, and you can see how easy it is to fall in love with the city. Truly, this one is a very enjoyable film that makes for some easy watching, but also comes packed to the brim with ravishing imagery and some great production elements (great costumes too by the way) that really underscore the brilliance to be found here. Overall, Midnight in Paris is a very good film. Expand
  85. Nov 26, 2012
    At first the movie is quite slow and it didn't really fit my "pace". But as i kept watching it i have to admit i was really surprised and i enjoyed very much the old Paris and all its artists. What felt wrong is the dull cliche some character was, but i guess it was necessary to draw the difference with the wonderful past and the nostalgia for it. In a word: charming!
  86. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't really say what I was expecting, but this was completely different than what I thought it would be; it's a good thing, too, because it was unlike anything I have ever seen before. I loved it! It really made me wonder what it would be like to live in another era and meet all those important historical figures. This was actually my first Woody Allen film, so I can't really say how this stacks up with some of his other films, but it was certainly a very good directorial effort. The cast here, featuring a lot of household names, is perfect; everyone gives fine performances. It's definitely one of my favorite things about the film. The scenery and music is good as well. I also thought the writing was extremely solid. I loved the script, and it's no surprise that it was nominated for an Oscar. Including Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture, Midnight in Paris was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. One of the best films of 2011! Expand
  87. Feb 2, 2013
    Being only a teenager I can't say that I'm all that aware of the works of Woody Allen, but if his other films are as good as Midnight in Paris than I want to see them all. The writing and narrative is both intelligent and intriguing with Owen Wilson playing an interesting character perfectly. The film is brilliant with an interesting ideology questioning the audience when was the GoldenBeing only a teenager I can't say that I'm all that aware of the works of Woody Allen, but if his other films are as good as Midnight in Paris than I want to see them all. The writing and narrative is both intelligent and intriguing with Owen Wilson playing an interesting character perfectly. The film is brilliant with an interesting ideology questioning the audience when was the Golden Era of the arts. Watch this film, and thank me later. Expand
  88. Jul 18, 2013
    Woody Allen does a marvelous job of story telling with the beautiful backdrop of Paris. Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams both give exceptional performances as well. A-
  89. May 4, 2013
    Woody Allen's best, most creative, and unbelievably origional film since Shadows and Fog. This movie went right up my alley since I'm a huge Fitzgerald and Hemmingway fan. One of my favorites.
  90. Jun 23, 2013
    This is a fun movie that teaches us a valuable lesson in life. I recommend this to anyone that enjoys romance movies or anyone that is in love with old literature.
  91. Jul 12, 2013
    I think that this movie really tells a message that our present-day world is in need of. It aims to make us understand that we should escape more often the rules that govern our daily life, our society, our entourage, everything that surrounds us and makes us act like some robotized creatures, dominated by mercantilism and falsity. It tells the story of the intellectual who confrontsI think that this movie really tells a message that our present-day world is in need of. It aims to make us understand that we should escape more often the rules that govern our daily life, our society, our entourage, everything that surrounds us and makes us act like some robotized creatures, dominated by mercantilism and falsity. It tells the story of the intellectual who confronts himself with so-called social problems because of his different way of seeing and experiencing life. Paris is a portal for the protagonist through which he accesses the past eras that he thinks he belongs to, but also the change of the living ambient that reveals the differences between his and his wife's ways of seeing things and living. Great script, the movie is catchy from start to end. Expand
  92. Jul 31, 2013
    I know that my review must be 150 characters or more, but I have only one things to say about this movie. Perfect. My favorite Woody Allan film after Annie Hall
  93. Aug 10, 2013
    This is my favorite Woody Allen movie, the script is amazing and original, the acting is excellent and I really really enjoy it, its a great comedy but it have a meaningful message.
  94. Aug 13, 2013
    An absolute delight! Like wine and cheese on a sunny patio. It was so engaging and charming that you just want to know what happens next and next and next. The wonderful cast made all the characters shine. One of Woody's best romantic comedies to date.
  95. Aug 13, 2013
    This Woody Allen movie is an absolute gem of a romantic comedy and characterizes Woody Allen in his best form. The movie is beautifully cast and beautifully written and is an absolute must for romantics and everyone else.
  96. Jun 20, 2014
    "Midnight in Paris" is a profound, romantic tale of an unforgettable experience in the most beautiful city of the world at night. A man suddenly finds himself given a chance to talk to the world's most prominent artists, writers and directors, and literally only him can have this one-of-a-kind opportunity, which not only changes his outlook on both his life and everything around him but"Midnight in Paris" is a profound, romantic tale of an unforgettable experience in the most beautiful city of the world at night. A man suddenly finds himself given a chance to talk to the world's most prominent artists, writers and directors, and literally only him can have this one-of-a-kind opportunity, which not only changes his outlook on both his life and everything around him but also explores the beauty and value of realistic life that differs greatly from the bygones. This is a spectacular, wonderful motion picture by Woody Allen about the breathtaking nightlife in Paris supported by a talented star-studded cast. Expand
  97. Sep 22, 2014
    ( as you can see i am not that a romantic guy but i love Woody Allen movies.) Midnight in paris is obviously a romantic story but i did not understand what was happening in the film where Owen Wilson is having a real past fantasy in 1800's or did he just wanted to get advice from his writing (or find a way to leave his fiance Rachael McAdam's with the past lover he has been waiting for.) A( as you can see i am not that a romantic guy but i love Woody Allen movies.) Midnight in paris is obviously a romantic story but i did not understand what was happening in the film where Owen Wilson is having a real past fantasy in 1800's or did he just wanted to get advice from his writing (or find a way to leave his fiance Rachael McAdam's with the past lover he has been waiting for.) A really great story also a really place to shoot the movie in Paris from Mr. Allen also a cast to die for in a romantic place. The Cast is superb in Paris Owen Wilson he plays a struggling writer just my kinda guy for this role, Rachael McAdams plays a his fiance which is well played i think it wasn't the best character for her to play basically she waited for Wilson's character to do something romantic but it never showed which sucked for her. (By the way how did woody allen get academy award winner Kathy Bates to be in his film ?.
    Grade A maybe an A-. ( Woody Alien did it again made a romantic film to die for like Blue Jasmine , Manhattan)
  98. Jan 22, 2015
    Woody Allen's twisted take on nostalgia is as witty a film as I've seen in recent years. It's brilliantly structured and draws some great performances. Shame it feels a bit overdrawn.
  99. Jul 26, 2014
    Midnight in Paris is a wonderful and brillant masterpiece by Woody Allen. In years, I didn't see any Woody Allen's film like his new film. So charming, senseful and touching, the film introduce us the adventures of Gill, an american screenwriter in Paris. This is one of Woody Allen's most fantastic and genious movie ever he did. "Midnight in Paris" is, without doubt, one of the greatestMidnight in Paris is a wonderful and brillant masterpiece by Woody Allen. In years, I didn't see any Woody Allen's film like his new film. So charming, senseful and touching, the film introduce us the adventures of Gill, an american screenwriter in Paris. This is one of Woody Allen's most fantastic and genious movie ever he did. "Midnight in Paris" is, without doubt, one of the greatest films of the year. Romantic, sweet, strong and genial, Woody Allen one more time bring us his talent as a director and screenwriter, in an another amazing story. Gil, is an American writer in Paris, a city that he idolizes, with the bride Inez. Every day, at midnight, Gil is taken to the Paris of the 20s, that for Gil is the Parisian golden age, where he met many artists and writers of the day such as Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Salvador DalĂ­, Pablo Picasso and T.S. Elliot. Reveal that I did not expect much from the new Woody Allen movie, but I was surprised with this romantic and exciting love story about the past, illusion, love and of course, Paris. I''m sure you will love 'Midnight in Paris', one of Woody Allen's charming and sweet classic films! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 11, 2011
    A hymn to that beautiful city, is among his least consequential efforts. It's attractive and easy to slip into, but he didn't put enough thought into the design, and it soon falls apart.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jun 10, 2011
    A fanciful French cousin to Allen's "Zelig" and "The Purple Rose of Cairo," yet the fulfilled wish for a better life is high-concept absurdity without high-anxiety guffaws.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 10, 2011
    A lovely jaunt that ends up becoming one of Allen's most enjoyable films, start-to-finish, in years.