8.8

1. SlipStreem
    Feb 3, 2004
    One of my favorite movies. Great dialogue filled with colorful slang of the era and probably some of it Coen brothers invention. Great story, characters, acting, and cinematography.
  2. RolandK.
    Jun 18, 2004
    A movie you can watch over and over again... such is the faultless casting... and performances by the actors in this timeless master piece. "up is down...and black is white" doesn't go for the result of this movie as some critics seem to believe... it's perfect. Many thanks to The Coen brothers, actors and the entire film crew for putting this story on the screen. Roland.
  3. VinceH.
    Sep 11, 2004
    This undoubtedly one of the Coen Bros. best films. How can people prefer the stupid "Raising Arizona" over this? I don't understand. Beautifully directed, photographed, edited and written, this movie is essentially a class for how to pull of a great modern noir. Many complained that the mechanizations of the plot are too easy to see and that they don't care about character. This undoubtedly one of the Coen Bros. best films. How can people prefer the stupid "Raising Arizona" over this? I don't understand. Beautifully directed, photographed, edited and written, this movie is essentially a class for how to pull of a great modern noir. Many complained that the mechanizations of the plot are too easy to see and that they don't care about character. While I certainly agree this is their most plot-driven movie, so are 90% of the great American noirs of the 40's and 50's. This film won Best Director & Palme D'Or at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival, and it was highly deserved. Expand
  4. JonathanD.
    Apr 29, 2006
    the best Coen Bros. film, just edging out Blood Simple. but Vince H is unfortunately incorrect - it was actually Barton Fink that did the Cannes double in 91.
  5. JH
    Jul 18, 2007
    Great movie. Music, acting and language is superb. You will not find anything like it anywhere.
  6. AndewP.
    Jul 8, 2009
    Miller's Crossing is an excellent movie, it carries well developed characters and puts them into messy situations. There is noting negative I can say except for the film get boring at times, but that is a petty complaint compared to all the delightfully dark content in the film. A must see for any Coen brothers or Movie fan out there!
  7. zangra
    Dec 26, 2004
    Clever, thoughtful, greatly acted superbly directed. As near perfection as a film can be. I enjoyed every minute.
  8. DirkD.
    Dec 10, 2009
    Wow, this is an excellent example of an almost perfect movie. Camera work, story, music, acting, scenery and the dialogues were executed brilliant! A must-see and a modern masterpiece!
  9. BillS
    Mar 25, 2009
    This movie is an entertaining beauty with real depth. As close to perfect as film gets. Acting, direction, cinematography, screenplay, and sound are all superb. Second and third viewings are even better than the first. A masterpiece.
  10. Sep 13, 2010
    The film maintains an elegant quality that comes to so natural to the seasoned directors, the actors are also held to that same position. The thick plot is lovingly sprinkled with twists and turns that will keep you watching, interesting, and thinking. When the day is over, this is classic gangster movie material, the Coen Brother's are at the top of their craft.
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    Top-notch homage to noir crime flicks of '40s-'50s balancing with uncanny accuracy on the verge of piety and parody. Definitely one of the most brilliant and maybe the greatest of all.
  12. FredM.
    Jan 7, 2007
    The ice falls in to the glass, you are offered a friendly libation and you immediately get a lesson in ethics and character. Enjoy the perilous ride of who can you trust in a world run by gangsters, a whodunit murder mystery that can mean you die if you don't get it right and the courage or wisdom to speak an honest thought to men who will kill you. Miller's Crossing matches The ice falls in to the glass, you are offered a friendly libation and you immediately get a lesson in ethics and character. Enjoy the perilous ride of who can you trust in a world run by gangsters, a whodunit murder mystery that can mean you die if you don't get it right and the courage or wisdom to speak an honest thought to men who will kill you. Miller's Crossing matches Shakespeare for plotting, dialogue, psycho-logic even philosophic insight; Beethoven for pacing and nuance=if you could translate visuals to music. Period piece accuracy seems a joy. Delight in the myth and when listening to Danny boy don't count rounds that spew from a 50 shot capacity Thompson machine gun. I've seen it 4 times and am eager to see it many more. It will make you think about your"hat". Expand
  13. ChrisP.
    Jul 2, 2008
    This film is one of the Coen brothers best. The film captures the 20's with captivating language and stylized set design. It takes us on a journey with Tom(Byrne), a cryptic man who has issues with boozing and gambling. His world is turned upside down and his loyalties to his boss(Finney) and lady are in conflict. Superb performances from the entire cast. The role of Tom seems to be This film is one of the Coen brothers best. The film captures the 20's with captivating language and stylized set design. It takes us on a journey with Tom(Byrne), a cryptic man who has issues with boozing and gambling. His world is turned upside down and his loyalties to his boss(Finney) and lady are in conflict. Superb performances from the entire cast. The role of Tom seems to be written for Byrne and John Turturro puts on another stellar performance in another Coen brother film. Expand
  14. NerijusD.
    Jan 16, 2010
    A very good film indeed, but more realism would've been appreciated.
  15. Jul 31, 2011
    A near-perfect film complete with rich dialogue, perfect directing and cinematography and acting that is expected in a Coen brothers movie. It's hard to watch Hollywood blockbusters dumbed down for the masses when one knows movies like Miller's Crossing have been made and flawlessly convey a story to the viewer in as rich a way as a novel is to a reader. It defines the art of cinema.
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    I liked it a great deal. The characters seemed more realistic to me than in most movies (I find the Coen brothers to have a sharp eye and a willingness to portray our less savory proclivities honestly). It is a movie to savour and think about.
  17. Dec 29, 2013
    This is my personal favorite of the early Cohen brothers films.

It is a gangster film and works as an example of the genre, albeit with slightly more cartoonish violence than you oils expect. However, the movie has deeper concerns on its mind. Those deeper theme reward repeat viewings.
  18. Mar 28, 2012
    Miller's Crossing is a loving tribute to the classic gangster films of old. There's a lot of excellent acting, with on real weak point in the cast. The Coen brothers always do an near-perfect job at casting their films, and Miller's Crossing is no exception. The storyline can be somewhat hard to follow at times, with a twisted maze of double-crossing that will surely confuse the mostMiller's Crossing is a loving tribute to the classic gangster films of old. There's a lot of excellent acting, with on real weak point in the cast. The Coen brothers always do an near-perfect job at casting their films, and Miller's Crossing is no exception. The storyline can be somewhat hard to follow at times, with a twisted maze of double-crossing that will surely confuse the most attentive of viewers. Not a masterpiece, but a really exhibits the Coen brothers' potential. Expand
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    The Coen Brothers elegantly and masterfully direct this film and this is a perfect example of why they are great directors. The film is slow at times and slightly confusing, but really comes together at the end. The actors were all phenomenal, only knock is again, the plot seemed random at times, though as I said, it comes together.
  20. Nov 29, 2010
    Yet another stylistically perfect film by the Coen brothers, with intriguing characters played by a brilliant cast. But the story line is not equally compelling making this an unevenly balanced result: beautiful to watch yet uninspiring.
  21. Feb 3, 2013
    Usually I am not a fan of modern movies acting like old time movies, but of course the Cohen brothers made it work for me. This is not my favorite film of theirs but it none the less has many of the elements of their movies that I enjoy. The dialogue is great and the characters are interesting enough to give us reason to care about them. The plot line keeps you guessing because we are onlyUsually I am not a fan of modern movies acting like old time movies, but of course the Cohen brothers made it work for me. This is not my favorite film of theirs but it none the less has many of the elements of their movies that I enjoy. The dialogue is great and the characters are interesting enough to give us reason to care about them. The plot line keeps you guessing because we are only given a little bit of information at a time. After all is said and done the narrative is actually rather simple and straight forward. It's the way that the Cohen brothers get you there that make it a good time. Expand

As disturbing and densely beautiful as its opening image, a lofty forest that dwarfs the gangsters as they laugh over their kill.
  2. Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Sheila Benson
    Heart may be what the movie needs most, but a bit of clarity wouldn't hurt either. Even here in gangsterland, where random characters are cherished and non sequiturs are considered wisecracks, there is a difference between complications and impenetrability, and this plot is a bloody thicket.. [5 Oct 1990, Calendar, p.F-10]
  3. The New Republic