8.7

1. Sep 29, 2014
    pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
  2. Dec 29, 2013
    This is my personal favorite of the early Cohen brothers films.

It is a gangster film and works as an example of the genre, albeit with slightly more cartoonish violence than you oils expect. However, the movie has deeper concerns on its mind. Those deeper theme reward repeat viewings.
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    The Coen Brothers elegantly and masterfully direct this film and this is a perfect example of why they are great directors. The film is slow at times and slightly confusing, but really comes together at the end. The actors were all phenomenal, only knock is again, the plot seemed random at times, though as I said, it comes together.
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    I liked it a great deal. The characters seemed more realistic to me than in most movies (I find the Coen brothers to have a sharp eye and a willingness to portray our less savory proclivities honestly). It is a movie to savour and think about.
  5. Feb 3, 2013
    Usually I am not a fan of modern movies acting like old time movies, but of course the Cohen brothers made it work for me. This is not my favorite film of theirs but it none the less has many of the elements of their movies that I enjoy. The dialogue is great and the characters are interesting enough to give us reason to care about them. The plot line keeps you guessing because we are only given a little bit of information at a time. After all is said and done the narrative is actually rather simple and straight forward. It's the way that the Cohen brothers get you there that make it a good time. Expand
  6. Mar 28, 2012
    Miller's Crossing is a loving tribute to the classic gangster films of old. There's a lot of excellent acting, with on real weak point in the cast. The Coen brothers always do an near-perfect job at casting their films, and Miller's Crossing is no exception. The storyline can be somewhat hard to follow at times, with a twisted maze of double-crossing that will surely confuse the most attentive of viewers. Not a masterpiece, but a really exhibits the Coen brothers' potential. Collapse
  7. Jan 20, 2012
    Top-notch homage to noir crime flicks of '40s-'50s balancing with uncanny accuracy on the verge of piety and parody. Definitely one of the most brilliant and maybe the greatest of all.
  8. Jul 31, 2011
    A near-perfect film complete with rich dialogue, perfect directing and cinematography and acting that is expected in a Coen brothers movie. It's hard to watch Hollywood blockbusters dumbed down for the masses when one knows movies like Miller's Crossing have been made and flawlessly convey a story to the viewer in as rich a way as a novel is to a reader. It defines the art of cinema.
  9. Nov 29, 2010
    Yet another stylistically perfect film by the Coen brothers, with intriguing characters played by a brilliant cast. But the story line is not equally compelling making this an unevenly balanced result: beautiful to watch yet uninspiring.
  10. Sep 13, 2010
    The film maintains an elegant quality that comes to so natural to the seasoned directors, the actors are also held to that same position. The thick plot is lovingly sprinkled with twists and turns that will keep you watching, interesting, and thinking. When the day is over, this is classic gangster movie material, the Coen Brother's are at the top of their craft.
  11. Aug 26, 2010
    To put it simply, the plot us a muddled mess (though this is a typical staple of the gangster genre, it's especially bad here - every newspaper headline brings another headscratch). The Coen Brothers' eccentric styles don't sit well with the setting and even with the great acting, the characters are impossible to care about. The movie has enough charisma and humor to prop it up, but it just doesn't stand on its own. Expand
  12. Aug 23, 2010
    Gangsters, right-hand man falls out with boss, sees the bosses woman, in with the Police, works for other mobs, guns, drive-bys & that.
    It has the quirkyness of the Coen brothers later work but I didn't think it had any charm. Albert Finney & John Turturro are excellent but I really don't get on with Gabriel Byrne at all. I just find him very bland & seems to play himself all the time.

Overall a pretty average but nicely shot gangster film.

As disturbing and densely beautiful as its opening image, a lofty forest that dwarfs the gangsters as they laugh over their kill.
  2. Heart may be what the movie needs most, but a bit of clarity wouldn't hurt either. Even here in gangsterland, where random characters are cherished and non sequiturs are considered wisecracks, there is a difference between complications and impenetrability, and this plot is a bloody thicket.. [5 Oct 1990, Calendar, p.F-10]
  3. A lifeless, tedious picture... A complete dud. [29 Oct 1990, p.26]