7.1

1. May 30, 2014
    It turns out to be a heartwarming movie. The female lead (from "In a World") is fantastic, but John Hamm's dick persona that he plays in every movie is getting old quickly. The baseball is exciting, but some of the India stuff dwells a bit too much on stereotype and exploitation.
  2. May 18, 2014
    Disney provides the latest feel-good sports movie genre offering with Million Dollar Arm, which hits the genre-specific marks and offers uniqueness of detail perfectly well, but finds itself undermined by a redemption-seeking character who isn’t worth saving.
  3. May 17, 2014
    very nice movie...good sports, fish out of water, romantic comedy and well shot, good music, good scenary. it is in the style of best exotic marigold hotel. Pretty funny at times. main complaint from anyone would be it is predictable and you likley have seen similar type movies before. But if you love the fomula, this formula is great.
  4. May 24, 2014
    It's another cliched sports movie. Nothing really stands out to me in this movie. It's extremely predictable and for a feel good movie, it makes you feel bored. Its a movie you can rent a redbox to watch with your family if there is nothing else. Hard to recommend.
  5. May 16, 2014
    The Hollywood's exploration of India based subjects is continuing. I have been enjoying those. Something quite refreshing which traveling on a new perspective to entertain the world audience. Especially, this movie was not a bigger one like 'Slumdog Millionaire' or 'Life of Pi', but cute emotional family drama like 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.

It was a biopic-sport-drama about an

It was a biopic-sport-drama about an American sports agent, J. B. Bernstein, who brought two young fastest arm Indians to the States to train as the professional baseball pitchers. Before that, he conducts a reality show called 'Million Dollar Arm' in various Indian locations to find the perfect one. In the end he gets two and takes back them to the country. What follows is the cultural collision where these two finds hard to fit in and perform. With many inspiring lines and tears in our eyes it comes to the conclusion.

It was a nice story and inspiring. This movie teaches many things like about family values, sharing culture, hard work for a better future, having faith, true love and all the above the most deserved second chance. It was a predictable story. The minor problem with the movie was it won't explain thoroughly some of the contents it portrays. It is due to cultural different some will have a hard time to figure it out the meaning of it. But for South Asians and Indo-American it will be a perfect movie.

The movie had more than sufficient humorous scenes and many of them were in an Indian accent. I had a great time laughing for those comedies. Those comedies are because of the difference pronunciation of the same word between the people of two countries. The character Amit is the center of the attract when it comes to the humour. In the other end, especially in the second half the story drags most of its parts towards the sentiments. I can't say it was unnecessary, but truly was impeccable and touching.

‘‘They need to know
    that you care them’’

I never knew this director. After checking out his filmography, yeah, I have watched many and liked a couple of his movies, especially 'Lars and the Real Girl'. He did a great job, especially shooting in Indian summer is not an easy task. He himself told in Q&A meet about his struggles. All the actors well cooped. John Hamm's one of the best performances. No doubt he was remarkable.

The boys from 'Slumdog Millionaire' and 'Life of Pi' are the two Indian characters. Suraj Sharma as Rinku and Madhur Mittal as Dinesh did justice to the respective roles, though they were not similar kind of face to the real ones like usually filmmakers choose for a biopic. They were really good, did key performances alongside John Hamm's JB character. Lake Bell was a surprised attraction of the movie. I found her kind of cute in some of the scenes than never before. And other major attractions were Alan Akin with his usual incredible show in the small span, and a few others, especially that Indian character called Amit.

Even before it was released many had criticised it by saying a TV movie and so 90s. But I had faith in it and watched and it never disappointed me. I have already said in my many reviews that I love tearjerker movies, so it was my perfect one. Some mighty one's are releasing on the same week this movie hitting the screen. I believe this is the only one pure family drama that one could ask for an alternate. In fact best by so far in this summer, according to the family friendly films. I highly recommend it, but all you need is to have a low expectation.
  6. May 16, 2014
    Don't listen to the critics on this one. This film is thoroughly enjoyable. I have to say that the previews didn't appeal to me very much even though I love movies about baseball. There is very little baseball in the film. It's a story about how greed over relationships can affect happiness. The acting is great, the true story is great and it's shot well. There is really nothing notDon't listen to the critics on this one. This film is thoroughly enjoyable. I have to say that the previews didn't appeal to me very much even though I love movies about baseball. There is very little baseball in the film. It's a story about how greed over relationships can affect happiness. The acting is great, the true story is great and it's shot well. There is really nothing not to like unless you hate anything sentimental. My husband and I both loved it even though he's more into action and I'm more into art films. Expand
  7. May 19, 2014
    Don’t get me wrong, Million Dollar Arm is not an academy award winner in any sense of motion pictures. Saying that explains in my mind why the critics for the most part have been lukewarm about the movie. However, what this movie is, is a positive movie. It demonstrates to the viewer the psychology of thinking about yourself first verses thinking about the welfare of the people aroundDon’t get me wrong, Million Dollar Arm is not an academy award winner in any sense of motion pictures. Saying that explains in my mind why the critics for the most part have been lukewarm about the movie. However, what this movie is, is a positive movie. It demonstrates to the viewer the psychology of thinking about yourself first verses thinking about the welfare of the people around you. This is not a religious movie, but it does have a kind of spiritual under-current to it.Because the “spiritual” side of this philosophy should be endorsed by religions, I would think more people would want to see this movie.
    Bottom line, besides being entertaining, the movie gives a positive message for our society to ponder—unlike other movies that are liked by the critics.
  8. May 26, 2014
    Million Dollar Arm was funny and very heartwarming. Jon Hamm and the others like Suraj Sharma were great. This story about three friends who live in India who win a show to become the greatest baseball players. Well excecuted but with pacing flaws. This is a new type of Disney movies. It was great but only a one time watch.
  9. May 21, 2014
    Nice unsexy story of overcoming all odds. The cast are all likeable but this by the number movie is OK but nothing more. I love sports and especially baseball so rooting for the underdog is very appealing. A nice way to pass the time on a rainy day but nothing more. Just okay.
  10. Sep 18, 2014
    I agree with aguywhoreviews, It's another typical sports film that is incredibly predictable. You could call the entire plot from start to finish within the first 20 minutes of the film and that sort of ruins the movie. The acting is so-so, None of the cast are given a chance to shine and Hamm proved to be a rather...disappointing and lackluster lead. Overall, If you can stomach genericI agree with aguywhoreviews, It's another typical sports film that is incredibly predictable. You could call the entire plot from start to finish within the first 20 minutes of the film and that sort of ruins the movie. The acting is so-so, None of the cast are given a chance to shine and Hamm proved to be a rather...disappointing and lackluster lead. Overall, If you can stomach generic sports films then sure give it a chance. If you are tired of the same old, same old then you are better off avoiding this one. Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2014
    I watch >150 baseball games a year. As a baseball movie, its ok. but just as a movie it works. captures India in all its glory. good character development and has that feel good stuff that disney film's are known for. its touching and entertaining, worth the time.
  12. May 31, 2014
    Outstanding, touching, and hilarious film. It is well written and keeps the viewer entertained the whole time. However, don't bring young kids to the film. It uses some strong adult language. I recommend all Tweens and above see this movie. It is insanely amazing! One of the best movies I have ever seen!
  13. Jul 31, 2014
    Disney is ideally one of the more respected studios producing films to this day. Nobody can look at their film and marketing tactics and call them dull. However, just because a movie has “Disney” on it, doesn’t necessarily make it indestructible.
    Their latest, “Million Dollar Arm” a basic, run of the mill, inspirational film that follows the same basic principles all sports dramas follow. The story is heartfelt and genuine, and the film is fueled by an extremely likable performance from our leading man Jon Hamm. This only goes so far. Comparing the film to the likes of “Miracle” or “The Rookie” and even “Remember The Titans” is not a fair comparison. Because, even though those films also followed basic principles, those films still had credibility to their names and directors. “Million Dollar Arm” is slow going and takes it’s time progressing the plot. Just on the likability of the actors presence in the film, “Million Dollar Arm” is barely watchable for the most part. But, in all honestly, is nothing special.

Hamm plays J.B Bernstein, a typical sports agent, who in a last ditch effort to save his job, and the jobs of his cohorts; Ash Vasudevan (Bernstein’s business partner) and Theresa. Bernstein pitches the idea of “Million Dollar Arm” in which the crew travels to India, seeking Baseball players, through a reality show. On the journey they find two Indians, named Dinish Patel and Rinku Singh.

Who doesn't love a good, and compelling underdog story?. Typically, it’s fairy hard to scowl at the confines of a true story. However, when the story is not that, quote “compelling” well it’s a different breed of these sub-genre. This is hardly a true story most people are familiar with. Being honest, I was unfamiliar with this story until I screened the film. I’m glad I got the message in all. Speaking bluntly, this is a film where audience’s will walk out, say “it was good”, tell their friends, and one week later forget all about it. As a shame it maybe, the whole “salesman” approach to the plot, never clicks. The acting, on the other hand, is slick and witty. Jon Hamm is quick and fun to watch as the infamous, J.B Bernstein. Lake Bell is also great to watch, however the character is partially underused. As well as, Madhur Mittal and Suraj Sharma who turn in more than exceptional performances. Director Greg Gillespie has had some success, his remake of “Fright Night” starring Anton Yelchin and Colin Farrell was more than worthy in the sense. “Million Dollar Arm” was just not a great story for him to showcase his talents. I still have hope for his directing career.

In the end, I didn't hate “Million Dollar Arm” I just did not buy into the whole story as whole. Once you have seen every inspiration film in this league, well you have seen them all. The film has tons of heart and the characters are extremely likable. This is not the problem. The problem is the very basic and average attempt at telling the story. The film never breaks away from it’s own pattern and steers exactly the direction we expect it too. Granted, this is a true story so we know the outcome. Other than a few interesting tidbits, and outside of true Baseball fanatics nobody is going to know this story well enough. I also wish the story focused more on the actual people the story is based off. Hardly ever, does the audience get any back story behind our India natives becoming Major League Baseball players. Even a little more development into J.B Bernstein's life would have been more appreciated. There is very little accomplished in the two hour run-time. “Million Dollar Arm” is instantly forgettable, but in the end somewhat watchable. Thanks to that “Disney” brand.

C

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
    Release Date: May 16th 2014

Thanks For Stopping Buy
  14. Mar 27, 2015
    As a sports movie, it doesn't really bring anything incredibly 'new', apart form the culture that they show from India (which is a really nice addition to the movie, whether it actually happened that way or no, and definitely saves it from just being a 5/10). Overall the casting is well done, and I enjoyed it well enough. It's passable.
  15. Oct 7, 2014
    A fairly standard but harmless film. While the film tells what could be a very intriguing story, it fails to provide the strong emotional connection you need to feel for the players. This is a film some baseball fans like myself may enjoy even if there's a sense of forgetting about the film quickly. B-
  16. Sep 24, 2014
    Whilst Million Dollar Arm does play it a little too safe and does often venture into generic sports genre territory, these aspects are overshadowed by the consistently heartwarming story, and some encouraging performances form its leads.
  17. Sep 30, 2014
    Million Dollar Arm is another Disney sports movie that follows along a specific formula. It may not be comparable to Remember the Titans or Miracle but the movie is still enjoyable. Jon Hamm is in a role that is very similar to his role as Don Draper in Mad Men. He is focused on making money and is an obvious womanizer. Despite the similarities I like him in the lead role and he continuesMillion Dollar Arm is another Disney sports movie that follows along a specific formula. It may not be comparable to Remember the Titans or Miracle but the movie is still enjoyable. Jon Hamm is in a role that is very similar to his role as Don Draper in Mad Men. He is focused on making money and is an obvious womanizer. Despite the similarities I like him in the lead role and he continues to develop as the story goes on. Million Dollar Arm is a movie that is worth watching. A must see for any sports fan and a good family movie. Expand
  18. Sep 18, 2014
    It's fine.

There are some really great, feelgood moments in this film. It is hard to connect to Hamm in the role for some reason. Perhaps he played the role too well in that I didn't buy his change of heart and thought it was just another angle the sports agent was playing. I'm usually not that cynical when I sit down to watch "the inspirational story of" type stuff. It's a fine
    It's fine.

There are some really great, feelgood moments in this film.

It's a fine film for a day when nothing else is on.
  19. WJS
    Jan 24, 2015
    Entertaining and slightly clichéd, this film is well acted and Jon Hamm is quite an engaging actor. The direction is kind of pedestrian and the screenplay is, as I previously stated, clichéd to a fault. The scenes in India are well done with an interesting blend of cultures and the film has an great blended sound track. However it tends to be over emotional as it wears its heart on its sleeve.
  20. May 17, 2015
    Million Dollar Arm is an enjoyable, feel good movie about an incredible too story. It certainly feels a little too "Disney" in places, but it's still a solid film from start to finish.
  21. Mar 10, 2015
    Despite its slightly slow introduction and rushed ending, Million Dollar Arm proves to be everything I had hoped it to be: a good sports movie as well as a heartwarming experience. It's definitely not one of the best Disney live-action films but it's worth taking a look.

1. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Sep 22, 2014
    Hamm and Alan Arkin's grouchy scout conclude these deals with unarguable professionalism, but we can spot the manoeuvres required to magic neocolonialist playbook into heartwarming fairytale.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Aug 25, 2014
    Very funny underdog comedy that’s genuinely heartwarming and full of charm.
  3. Reviewed by: Drew Taylor
    May 19, 2014
    It's a different kind of Disney sports movie, more textured, gently spiritual and warmly idiosyncratic, but one that still, before the credits roll, will make you want to stand up and cheer.