8.4

1. PaulaW.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Millions gets off to a great start, with Damian seeing saints at every turn and his brother Anthony becoming some kind of schoolyard Donald Trump. There might be one thing too many in this story (maybe it's the Mormon suplot that takes it over the top), and around the middle the plot begins to fray a bit. Still, this is an intelligent family film full of magic and whimsy that offers Millions gets off to a great start, with Damian seeing saints at every turn and his brother Anthony becoming some kind of schoolyard Donald Trump. There might be one thing too many in this story (maybe it's the Mormon suplot that takes it over the top), and around the middle the plot begins to fray a bit. Still, this is an intelligent family film full of magic and whimsy that offers plenty for the adults to enjoy. There's both a moral core and a darker side here, though: think of it as Shallow Grave for kids. Expand
  2. Mathew
    Mar 18, 2005
    I found this film to entertaining, heartwarming, and not saccharine at all. I'm amazed that anyone can come out of it without a smile on their face. Danny Boyle has made a gem of a film that I will glady recommend to anyone, regardless of age or religious preference.
  3. KevinH
    Jun 10, 2005
    Brilliant. A great "family" film that's still entertaining for those outside that demographic.
  4. AldrinC.
    May 17, 2006
    "Millions" is a priceless religious experience. Wonderful acting and the visuals are deeply astounding. The scenery looks like something straight from a Windows XP desktop wallpaper. And the music--prodigious! Great job, Mr. Boyle.
  5. JustinM.
    Nov 14, 2005
    I was pleasently surprised by this film. It's a schmaltzy feel good film that preaches about giving. And yet, somehow I still came away thinking, I should give more.
  6. billys.
    Nov 3, 2005
    This film didn't lose any of it's magic in a unusually long wait for the dvd. I said it in April and I'll say it again now in November-"Millions" is the BEST movie of the year. I just can't figure out why it is not being mentioned in any of the pre-Oscar nominations forecasters predictions. After Trainspotting and 28 Days Later, I now consider Danny Boyle my new God Kubrick!
  7. MichaelS.
    Mar 14, 2005
    Funny, warm, enchanting, spiritual, fresh, delightful and, funny some more. Why can't more movies be like this? Why don't more people see films likes this? Congrats to the director and congrats to the writer. Beautiful.
  8. Aaron
    Mar 27, 2005
    A wonderful and eccentric gem of a film. I was surprised when Boyle announced he was doing a family film, but he delivered. Terrific.
  9. Maurice
    Mar 28, 2005
    Child actor Etel is a true find in the complete sense of the word. This child -saint is perhaps one of the most touching roles I have seen in cinema.
  10. PhillipE.
    Mar 29, 2005
    This gem of a film is true to its characters and struck me completely. Delightful and moving, such that by the end I wept unashamedly in the Bethesda (MD) Row Cinema.
  11. LiamC.
    May 22, 2005
    Because I loved all the money and Glasseye.
  12. JohnC.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Not just a terrific story. Look at the cinematography. Magic.
  13. WilliamL.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Excellent for all ages and with a good point
  14. ChadS.
    Dec 26, 2005
    The big emotional scene in "Millions" pays off because the mother's death, when addressed explicitly by the two boys, is done in a comic manner. Alex Etel plays muted trauma brilliantly. He effortlessly gains our sympathy. London, depicted here, isn't predictably glum; the filmmaker doesn't want to overstate the tragedy. The flashy visuals work as a psychical projection of The big emotional scene in "Millions" pays off because the mother's death, when addressed explicitly by the two boys, is done in a comic manner. Alex Etel plays muted trauma brilliantly. He effortlessly gains our sympathy. London, depicted here, isn't predictably glum; the filmmaker doesn't want to overstate the tragedy. The flashy visuals work as a psychical projection of how these two boys try to remain childlike, so it's not all post-modern meaninglessness, or filmmaking overindulgence. Ultimately, "Millions" is fascinating to watch because Damian is a well-adjusted "Butcher Boy". If you see saints, there has to be a touch of madness there. If you see your dead mother, there has to be a touch of "Ponette" as well. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2011
    Amazing movie! Really really fun to watch. Also Very Imaginative and creative movie with a good moral to it. This movie was also religiously fascinating and the cinomtagraphy in it was great.

It's an uplifting motion picture that will bring smiles to faces, and Boyle's trademark irreverence keeps the feel-good experience from becoming too saccharine.
  2. By avoiding sentimentality, Millions emerges as a simple tale told with sympathy for a child's point of view.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Maintains a bankable charm and innocence even when overdrawn on the special effects side.