7.0

1. Sep 17, 2011
    Minority Report is thrilling and has some great special effects, but the entire plot is impossible--and I don't mean the being able to see the future thing. If you really pay attention to the plot you'll see that even in a world where precogs exist, the plot would not be able to happen. Acting is good though, and it did leave me entertained for the first five times that I watched it. ButMinority Report is thrilling and has some great special effects, but the entire plot is impossible--and I don't mean the being able to see the future thing. If you really pay attention to the plot you'll see that even in a world where precogs exist, the plot would not be able to happen. Acting is good though, and it did leave me entertained for the first five times that I watched it. But this most recent watching was when I noticed the plot holes. Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2014
    What a shame! Minority Report starts out with a cool premise, but it doesn't know how to explore its philosophy and ideas. The movie ends up turning into a kind of peculiar, non-sensical utopia with product placement and strange plot lines. Some of the movie is just so random it doesn't make an impact. Cruise, Farrell and von Sidow are fine as the leads, but they're trapped in a movie thatWhat a shame! Minority Report starts out with a cool premise, but it doesn't know how to explore its philosophy and ideas. The movie ends up turning into a kind of peculiar, non-sensical utopia with product placement and strange plot lines. Some of the movie is just so random it doesn't make an impact. Cruise, Farrell and von Sidow are fine as the leads, but they're trapped in a movie that Mr. Spielberg could've done much more with. Expand
  3. Taxpayer
    Jul 6, 2002
    Occasionally impressive, but often comes across as a jumbled mess. The script is amateurish at times, making the characters do things merely to shock the audience and not for any coherent reason. The ending is pat and sappy, and you may feel like a precog yourself before the final plot twist occurs. Some are heaping praise on this movie now, but it will be forgotten within a year.
  4. Robertv.P.
    Oct 1, 2002
    Some parts of the technological background of this movie are pretty nice (their 'spiders' and carports especially), but the story is presented in such an incomplete manner...that I can only say "Yuck". Spielberg should get some cheap award for everything he's done to us, and retire.
  5. JackS.
    Jun 22, 2002
    While this is a good movie it has a plot hole the size of the Grand Canyon involving "security access." Other than this gigantic plot hole the movie is fun and well acted and brilliantly shot. It SHOULD have been better but in the end is good enough to warrant a viewing.
  6. TedB.
    Jun 24, 2002
    Very disappointing. Great special effects. Some wonderful places for the plot to go simply dead end. Overall, Tom Cruise shows why he is probably the most overrated actor on the planet, and the screenplay is Movie of the Week stuff with million dollar special effects.
    Jul 20, 2002
    It was ok, but the start went too quickly, and I thought there would be more action, but it ended up anything but that, goodbye.
  8. PhilZ.
    Jul 7, 2002
    Crossed the line from impressive, plot-relevant special effects to gimmickry too many times. Did the eyeballs really have to roll down the corridor and thru the grating? And why wasn't Anderton's security clearance just turned off?
  9. Richard
    Jul 8, 2002
    The idea of predestination vs. freewill is a fascinating one to explore. Too bad the filmmakers drop the ball and take the easy way out in the last 20 minutes. "Mission: Minority Report." Boo!
  10. GerryB.
    Dec 18, 2002
    I really can't figure out why anyone thinks this is a good film!
  11. EricS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    Ridiculous plot devices + a movie-of-the-week murder mystery and Scooby Doo unmasking + an outlandishly sugar-coated ending = an ambitious misfire.
  12. EmmanuelB.
    Jun 25, 2002
    I agree completely with Andy S. I felt as though I was part of some huge conspiracy directed towards me. Almost every critic, even the ones I depended on, gave this movie a passing grade. I walked out of the movie theatre feeling exactly as I did after viewing AI. Why are critics and moviegoers in such awe of Stephen Spielberg? I now feel vindicated for not liking this film, thanks to I agree completely with Andy S. I felt as though I was part of some huge conspiracy directed towards me. Almost every critic, even the ones I depended on, gave this movie a passing grade. I walked out of the movie theatre feeling exactly as I did after viewing AI. Why are critics and moviegoers in such awe of Stephen Spielberg? I now feel vindicated for not liking this film, thanks to Andy S., and the box office receipts of Lilo and Stitch; considering kids pay a discount fare. Increasingly, I feel as though we consumers buy into anything as long as we are in the majority. I guess that would make this my, in the minority, report. Expand
  13. MaryJoM.
    Jun 29, 2002
    The premise of the movie was interesting until it degenerated into a predictable who done it. Entertaining but forgettable.
  14. AdamX.
    Jul 15, 2002
    This movie falls prey to the same theme, ironically, as its plot: predictability. It would have made for an interesting twist if this had been intentional, but by the last 10 minutes of the movie you too can predict the outcome, which is a shame, because it shows a lot of promise in the first half. Spielberg still doesn't know how to convey a message with any subtlety either; from This movie falls prey to the same theme, ironically, as its plot: predictability. It would have made for an interesting twist if this had been intentional, but by the last 10 minutes of the movie you too can predict the outcome, which is a shame, because it shows a lot of promise in the first half. Spielberg still doesn't know how to convey a message with any subtlety either; from the main recurring message-theme (repeated no less than 6 times) to the overuse of the vision-metaphor, Spielberg almost insults his audience by implying they can't figure out what he's trying to say unless he bludgeons them to death with it. Expand
  15. Fred
    Jul 16, 2002
    A good SciFi movie, with a good Tom Cruise and one of the best cast Spilberg had ever made. But as usual with him, the ending is too expected... whatever his free will, it seems that he is predestinated to flat uninteresting happy ends.
  16. KerriM.
    Feb 19, 2003
    The movie starts out with promise, and never goes anywhere. The acting is flat. The scenes are pieced together choppily and often incoherently. The movie hints at eye-candy and never fulfills. Overall, it's emotionally unegaging and ethically unchallenging. Which is a shame, because it was a good short story.
  17. Amoviecritic
    May 9, 2003
    Apparently, Spielberg's vision of the future is an incredibly bleak, with very strange roads. Therefore, unlike many futuristic movies, even if you hate the plot, you are not distracted by the cool visuals. The most they show of the future is in a station, office, and road. That's basically it. Then, you get a dark, somewhat repetitive plot that is dragged out a lot longer than Apparently, Spielberg's vision of the future is an incredibly bleak, with very strange roads. Therefore, unlike many futuristic movies, even if you hate the plot, you are not distracted by the cool visuals. The most they show of the future is in a station, office, and road. That's basically it. Then, you get a dark, somewhat repetitive plot that is dragged out a lot longer than necessary. Not only that, but the ending is very disturbing. If you want a really good futuristic thriller, see Schwarzenegger's The 6th Day (2000). This movie not only had better action scenes, cooler plot, (more believable,) shorter length, and the futuristic environment in The 6th Day actually makes me WANT to see the future. Not want to avoid it. Expand
  18. JohnR.
    Jun 22, 2002
    I can sit through nearly anything, but this became terribly long. Cruise's character's pivotal decision should have been nearly the end. After that, it went the formulaic wrap-up route. For 20 minutes.
  19. AndyP.
    Sep 26, 2002
    It is absolutely amazing how well shot and paced a bad movie can be. Eyes not turned off? Scene from LA Confidential that don't make any sense (he knows one of the top people is bad - so he invites one without telling anyone else over to his home to spell it out??) Cruise doesn't just go more than 200 miles away in his new car? And the biggest flaw yet - the whole movie is It is absolutely amazing how well shot and paced a bad movie can be. Eyes not turned off? Scene from LA Confidential that don't make any sense (he knows one of the top people is bad - so he invites one without telling anyone else over to his home to spell it out??) Cruise doesn't just go more than 200 miles away in his new car? And the biggest flaw yet - the whole movie is predicated on the idea that they might go national. Just one problem, the movie also establishes there aren't anymore psychics to go national with and the ones they have don't go more than 200 miles... Expand
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    A good movie for some but with boring drama. Loved the visual effects, but besides the not-so-much suspense and action, I could have expected much more.
  21. Apr 13, 2015
    The whole movie contradicts itself constantly. It might have been a theme that the facts about the trio of pre-crime humans was falsified because of government being all government, but it wasn't conveyed well at all. At the beginning they say that only murder can be seen into the future, but then they have an advertisement saying that it could prevent other things like rape, and from thenThe whole movie contradicts itself constantly. It might have been a theme that the facts about the trio of pre-crime humans was falsified because of government being all government, but it wasn't conveyed well at all. At the beginning they say that only murder can be seen into the future, but then they have an advertisement saying that it could prevent other things like rape, and from then on they act as though the ad was true, but then at the end they say only murder can be detected again because it fits the movie's agenda.

#Inconsistent

1. Time
    Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Spielberg's sharpest, brawniest, most bustling entertainment since "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the finest of the season's action epics.
  2. Newsweek
    Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ferociously intense, furiously kinetic, it’s expressionist film noir science fiction that, like all good sci-fi, peers into the future to shed light on the present.
  3. This is the kind of pure entertainment that, in its fullness and generosity, feels almost classic.