7.4

1. Robertv.P.
    Oct 1, 2002
    Some parts of the technological background of this movie are pretty nice (their 'spiders' and carports especially), but the story is presented in such an incomplete manner...that I can only say "Yuck". Spielberg should get some cheap award for everything he's done to us, and retire.
  2. TedB.
    Jun 24, 2002
    Very disappointing. Great special effects. Some wonderful places for the plot to go simply dead end. Overall, Tom Cruise shows why he is probably the most overrated actor on the planet, and the screenplay is Movie of the Week stuff with million dollar special effects.
  3. EricS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    Ridiculous plot devices + a movie-of-the-week murder mystery and Scooby Doo unmasking + an outlandishly sugar-coated ending = an ambitious misfire.
  4. EmmanuelB.
    Jun 25, 2002
    I agree completely with Andy S. I felt as though I was part of some huge conspiracy directed towards me. Almost every critic, even the ones I depended on, gave this movie a passing grade. I walked out of the movie theatre feeling exactly as I did after viewing AI. Why are critics and moviegoers in such awe of Stephen Spielberg? I now feel vindicated for not liking this film, thanks to I agree completely with Andy S. I felt as though I was part of some huge conspiracy directed towards me. Almost every critic, even the ones I depended on, gave this movie a passing grade. I walked out of the movie theatre feeling exactly as I did after viewing AI. Why are critics and moviegoers in such awe of Stephen Spielberg? I now feel vindicated for not liking this film, thanks to Andy S., and the box office receipts of Lilo and Stitch; considering kids pay a discount fare. Increasingly, I feel as though we consumers buy into anything as long as we are in the majority. I guess that would make this my, in the minority, report. Expand
  5. SagaBoy
    Jul 3, 2002
    Minority Report was pretentious and condesending. If you think "Blade Runner" was an excellent movie, you will be sorely disappointed with Minority Report. I was actually bored through certain parts of the movie.
  6. L.Keene
    Jun 24, 2002
    This is a confusing, cliche-ridden picture with an interesting premise, that once again shows that Spielberg and Cruise try too hard. They are getting long at the tooth and it shows. Spielberg's usually suspect messages take another bad turn when he mixes anti civil liberty bias with passionate individualism. Huh? Hitchcock once said that he refused to make movies with characters who This is a confusing, cliche-ridden picture with an interesting premise, that once again shows that Spielberg and Cruise try too hard. They are getting long at the tooth and it shows. Spielberg's usually suspect messages take another bad turn when he mixes anti civil liberty bias with passionate individualism. Huh? Hitchcock once said that he refused to make movies with characters who stand around explaining the plot to each other. This movie had such a rapid, confusing wrap-up that it will take a couple of viewings to get it - and then it ends up not being good story telling. A disappointment. Expand
  7. AndyS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    A solid 3 on an an adjusted scale of 1 to 10, with 1 representing the entertainment value of Spielberg's previous masterpiece, AI, and 10 representing the entertainment value of getting kicked in the teeth by a rabid llama. If you want to be really bored for a very long time, experience true prescience in the form of knowing exactly what's going to happen in every scene, A solid 3 on an an adjusted scale of 1 to 10, with 1 representing the entertainment value of Spielberg's previous masterpiece, AI, and 10 representing the entertainment value of getting kicked in the teeth by a rabid llama. If you want to be really bored for a very long time, experience true prescience in the form of knowing exactly what's going to happen in every scene, sequence and act, and then have your intelligence insulted by a sappy ending so inane that even though you saw it coming you still simply cannot believe what you're watching, then see this movie. Expand
  8. Mike
    Dec 28, 2005
    It seemed a bit confused to me, in that it couldn't figure out whether to be a thriller or a family comedy. You have very dark moments followed immediately by cute vignettes. It didn't jive well for me. The special effects are beautiful yes; they usefully serve to distract you from the horribly convoluted plot. In an ironic twist, the movie includes far more subplots and It seemed a bit confused to me, in that it couldn't figure out whether to be a thriller or a family comedy. You have very dark moments followed immediately by cute vignettes. It didn't jive well for me. The special effects are beautiful yes; they usefully serve to distract you from the horribly convoluted plot. In an ironic twist, the movie includes far more subplots and "gotchas" than the original text. One thing I didn't really care for about the visuals, though, is the bizarre use of color. I found it rather disturbing and oddly reminiscent of Gladiator's butchering of color. The ending, to use a borrowed phrase, is "spielberged". It would have been fine, had the movie finished about a half-hour before it actually did. If you've seen it, then you know what I'm talking about; if you haven't then I don't really want to spoil it for you. Lastly, I feel as though Phil Dick ought to be rolling in his grave over this movie. The "take home" message of the movie is diametrically opposed to that of the short story on which it's based. This would almost be ok (but not really), if I had agreed with the movie more, but I don't. If you think I'm some kind of purist that just doesn't like screen adaptations, you'd be right. But in this particular case, I saw the movie first; in fact, I hated the movie so much I almost didn't bother with the short story. Expand
  9. BradH.
    Jun 28, 2002
    It's amazing to me to see the positive reviews (like Ebert and Roepers) giving this garb "two enthusiastic thumbs up". How much of a kickback do they get? The movie is just not good. A complete insult to your intelligence. But, it is not as bad as AI....which isn't saying much.
  10. TommyR.
    Nov 4, 2006
    The most boring film I have ever seen in my life.
  11. KurtH.
    Jun 22, 2002
    Boring, predictable, unoriginal, loud, without interest or merit
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    "Everybody Runs". Yeah, away from the damn cinema screen. A convoluted, contrived, predictable and uninteresting mess. The concepts that this movie uses are such an assault on common intelligence. If this movie were a person, it would kick you in the balls, steal your wallet, wave it in your face and then try and advertise itself to you that you just had a good time sitting through it.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Spielberg's sharpest, brawniest, most bustling entertainment since "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the finest of the season's action epics.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ferociously intense, furiously kinetic, it’s expressionist film noir science fiction that, like all good sci-fi, peers into the future to shed light on the present.
  3. This is the kind of pure entertainment that, in its fullness and generosity, feels almost classic.