Miracle at St. Anna

5.5

1. Mar 12, 2011
    Though some of the plot lines seem implausible, I like what Spike Lee did with this movie! My favorite character in the movie is Staff Sergeant Stamps. He is viewed by Sergeant Bishop as an "Uncle Tom", but he also questions fighting for a country that oppresses him and his race! Great Job Derek Luke! Sergeant Bishop plays the part of the man who loses his faith in God and Humanity andThough some of the plot lines seem implausible, I like what Spike Lee did with this movie! My favorite character in the movie is Staff Sergeant Stamps. He is viewed by Sergeant Bishop as an "Uncle Tom", but he also questions fighting for a country that oppresses him and his race! Great Job Derek Luke! Sergeant Bishop plays the part of the man who loses his faith in God and Humanity and retreats to his Ethno-Centric ways, but talking to Private Train keeps him in check. Private Train exhibits a simple childlike faith which was also well done! Corporal Negron exhibits an ADULT faith. He "knows who his Father is". The overarching theme is that war brings people of different beliefs together and can bring out the BEST and the WORST in people! Another STRIKING scene in the film is the scene when the 92nd Division holds a prayer service, and then the scene cuts to the Italian townspeople in Church praying and cuts to the DESCENT German soldier who saved the boy praying. All praying to the same GOD! Even the war weary German officer who hands his Luger to Corporal Negron and tells him to "Defend yourself" is showing compassion! The ending is SUPERB! All actors played their respective parts VERY WELL! Expand
  2. ChrisW
    Jan 18, 2010
    Obviously this movie was more about plot and emotions than scenes of violence. I can only conclude that there are so many negative views because people can not follow the plot and true to human nature we tend to think negatively of anything that we don't understand. I give a 9 because nothing is ever perfect. Great movie Spike.
  3. JO
    Aug 3, 2009
    I Don't understand why this film got such terrible reviews. I enjoyed it very much, it's so entertaining and you can't wait to see what led to the first scene which is so powerful. The first have I found myself not connecting to the characters and thinking it was way too much useless info. I was wrong, everything wraps up so nicely and comes together really shockingly. I Don't understand why this film got such terrible reviews. I enjoyed it very much, it's so entertaining and you can't wait to see what led to the first scene which is so powerful. The first have I found myself not connecting to the characters and thinking it was way too much useless info. I was wrong, everything wraps up so nicely and comes together really shockingly. Amazing how these soldiers were treated in their own country and seeing them fight abroad for that same country. Not perfect but Spike Lee really shows us somethings we haven't seen in movies before. A little tweaking and this could've been a perfect 10. Expand
  4. NestorA.
    Mar 8, 2009
    It is sad that some movies are rated poorly simply because people do not understand the idea. I agree that the movie doesn't mix well and it needed more action rather than boring scenes but in the end you might fully grasp the point this movie is trying to make. I would give this movie an 8 honestly, but due to the awful and ignorant reviews from certain inept people out there I will It is sad that some movies are rated poorly simply because people do not understand the idea. I agree that the movie doesn't mix well and it needed more action rather than boring scenes but in the end you might fully grasp the point this movie is trying to make. I would give this movie an 8 honestly, but due to the awful and ignorant reviews from certain inept people out there I will give it a 10 as my score. Expand
  5. ChrisC.
    Feb 28, 2009
    Subplots, subplots, and subplots...that all wrap up nicely at the long-awaited conclusion of the movie, with no questions left unanswered. While the introduction and actuation of these subplots can be choppy and questionably placed at times, each contains a healthy serving of action, emotion, humor, and character. Most definitely a work of fiction only loosely based on real events, Subplots, subplots, and subplots...that all wrap up nicely at the long-awaited conclusion of the movie, with no questions left unanswered. While the introduction and actuation of these subplots can be choppy and questionably placed at times, each contains a healthy serving of action, emotion, humor, and character. Most definitely a work of fiction only loosely based on real events, length, choppiness, and some amateur filming decisions somewhat hamper what actually turns out to be one hell of a story. And it's this story that kept me interested throughout...and it's quite a trip. Expand
  6. MikeA.
    Feb 25, 2009
    Apparently critics only sat through the first 40 minutes of the film because after that, Spike Lee had an awesome movie that has been under appreciated. At least he attempted to do something meaningful...how does this have the same score as Friday the 13th? Obviously critics have no taste, except Ebert (I'm willing to overlook your positive review of The Happening :P)
  7. CutMasterFresh
    Feb 1, 2009
    Great plot. Spike has finally grown up. I enjoyed every aspect of this film. Spike has stepped outside of the box with this one. Great job Spike. "Fight the Power"!
  8. LemuelC.
    Oct 28, 2008
    Great Movie! I am a war movie fan but wasn't exactly excited to see a movie that was as long as this one, to my surprise I was fully engrossed throughout the entire movie. I thought it was one of spike's best movie's to date despite the naysayers and spike bashers. Great movie!
  9. Mrkid
    Oct 24, 2008
    Very good despite its problems
  10. BillyS.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Somewhere underneath all the excessive baggage this movie carries is another Great Spike Lee Joint with a running time of 120 minutes, but it's definitely worth sitting through the 40 filler minutes to get to a great ending that is pretty transparent in the first 20! Spike, you're letting Hollywood get to you, we want more bite - less bark!
  11. MathTeacher
    Oct 1, 2008
    This is by far the most heartwrenching as well as joyful movie I have seen since Schindler's List. It is sheer movie magic. Bravo, Spike.
  12. MaxzS.
    Sep 30, 2008
    One of Spike Lee's best work, amazing how he captured the period.
  13. ChadS.
    Sep 29, 2008
    While set during the Korean War, Robert Altman's "M*A*S*H" and the long-running television series that starred Alan Alda and Jamie Farr, was actually an allegory for the ongoing conflict in Vietnam(the CBS sitcom debuted in 1972, three years prior to our full withdrawal from the Asian continent). Since the filmmaker seconds Chuck D.'s notion to "...mother****...John While set during the Korean War, Robert Altman's "M*A*S*H" and the long-running television series that starred Alan Alda and Jamie Farr, was actually an allegory for the ongoing conflict in Vietnam(the CBS sitcom debuted in 1972, three years prior to our full withdrawal from the Asian continent). Since the filmmaker seconds Chuck D.'s notion to "...mother****...John Wayne"(Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" from Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing"), when Aubrey Stamps(Derek Luke) denigrates the Hollywood legend by appropriating his patented term of endearment, "pilgrim", in an ironical context that emphasizes how African-Americans were Indians, and not Pilgrims, at the Duke's table. Lest not we forget, Wayne directed "The Green Berets", the controversial Vietnam film that nearly eradicated any trace of black soldier involvement, which ran contrary to the real war, where African-Americans were mobilized into combat at a clip that was disproportionate to their actual population in the armed forces(20% to 8% according to the historical record). "The Longest Day"(also starring John Wayne) comments on "The Green Berets", therefore making the racism that Aubrey and his mates faced, a fluid thing that wasn't exclusive to WWII. In "Do the Right Thing", Mookie throws a garbage can into Sal's Pizzeria for his people. Aubrey does the right thing in "The Miracle at St. Anna" when he shoots the man responsible for the bloodbath that went down in a small Tuscany village, forty years prior. Judging from his sneering remarks about Wayne, it's not hard to image Aubrey as a separatist, a man harboring a grudge against the people who persisted on treating him and his people as inferiors on the wrong side of the hegemony, in spite of the uniform, and their willingness to lay down their lives. The bullet he fires in the post office was for his kind and his kind alone, Mookie's kind. It's not until the final scene is his revenge killing transformed into an all-encompassing act for both the Indians and the Pilgrims alike. Aubrey's vigilantism, in this new light, honors the memory of his friend Sam(Omar Benson Miller), who did the right thing, when being colorblind made you a saint. Expand
  14. JT.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Great patriotic film!
  15. K.M.
    Sep 28, 2008
    very good movie from Spike. The mystery was mezmerizing. The acting solid throughout, beautifully shot and majestically scored. I thought it was great!
  16. IvanH.
    Sep 28, 2008
    I am a World War II Buffalo Soldier. I was in combat with the 92nd Division from the beginning, August 23, 1944 until the end of the war. I was wounded and received the Purple Heart during one of our many combat actions. The movie has many plots and sub plots but is says one thing quite dramatically, "Black infantrymen did fight in bloody combat against the Nazis during World War II."
  17. JoeN.
    Sep 27, 2008
    This was a great movie, and i dont see why so many critics think otherwise,i would suggest this movie to war movie fans, and people who hate war movies too
  18. tfox
    Sep 26, 2008
    One of the best of spike lee, draws a fine line between realism the atrocities of war and surrealism.

1. Odd too, for a film that wants to correct impression anyone had as to the abilities of black U.S. soldier in combat, are the ethnic cliches about Italians and Germans, to say nothing of rednecks.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This is a sloppy stew in which the ingredients of battle action, murder mystery, little-kid sentiment and history lesson don't mix well.
  3. When Lee isn't doing cinematic somersaults or mining for injustice, he doesn't seem to know where to put the camera. The logistics of the plot make no sense, and he has nothing to sell but the theme of our common humanity--in which, on the evidence, I don't think he believes.