7.8

1. May 10, 2012
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is an above average 007 ripoff, albeit one from the Pierce Brosnin era. As such, Ghost Protocol has a bunch of fun action scenes but not much in the way of depth. Probably goes well with a nice bag of popcorn and a cold soda.
  2. Nov 7, 2012
    No matter how well done they are, spy movies with neat gadgets have never been enough to entertain me. The film has wooden characters and lazy dialogue. I am not entertained, but perhaps you will be. This is the kind of film that will be perceived differently depending on what the viewer is looking for.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    This movie has a solid first hour then vaporizes before you. I can't believe that a decade after Austin Powers, nuclear launch threats is still a viable plot cornerstone. And for every cool gadgety espionage scene in the first hour we get a kick gun out of hand-fist fight-chase-repeat in the second hour.
  4. Jan 13, 2012
    If you like special effects then you probably would enjoy the movie. Beyond that it was a bust. There is not much of a story. It really doesn't hold your attention. We did see the IMAX version and that was the only thing we really enjoyed - as the sound was far better than in a regular theater.
  5. Feb 12, 2012
    The only thing true about this movie is the word "Impossible" in it's title.
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    There is nothing new or great about this film. The plot was paper thin and one layered. There was no element of human drama except the secret that Renner was keeping but that was immaterial to the story as far as I was concerned. Tom did his usual widow acrobat act of which I am getting really tired of. This movie seemed to be on a shoe string budget. The nuclear warhead bouncing off theThere is nothing new or great about this film. The plot was paper thin and one layered. There was no element of human drama except the secret that Renner was keeping but that was immaterial to the story as far as I was concerned. Tom did his usual widow acrobat act of which I am getting really tired of. This movie seemed to be on a shoe string budget. The nuclear warhead bouncing off the building was the height of amateur hour. The serieres either need to be retooled or retired. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2012
    It's only a matter of time before people change their minds, me being one of them. It's understandable that this film was good, but it just felt like a repeat. Mission Impossible is always about undertaking missions and solving them with technology. I've seen other films that have more soul than this. At least characters like Simon Pegg were there to provide comic relief otherwise I don'tIt's only a matter of time before people change their minds, me being one of them. It's understandable that this film was good, but it just felt like a repeat. Mission Impossible is always about undertaking missions and solving them with technology. I've seen other films that have more soul than this. At least characters like Simon Pegg were there to provide comic relief otherwise I don't think I would have laughed at all in the cinema. Tom Cruise doesn't have to be the all-singing all dancing character taking part in things where he has to do something amazing every 5 minutes. And spy films - what, is this supposed to be, everything made of electronics and gadgets freaking everywhere? We cannot act like these types of films don't have souls, because they do. This one didn't pull it off. Collapse
  8. Dec 25, 2011
    They took the 'impossible' to heart this time. The stunts were completely over the top. The first half of the movie was watchable, but it got insanely idiotic. Some of the scenes were just so inconceivable they were insulting. You should really be ashamed to call this a good movie.
  9. Dec 31, 2011
    I went to this movie only because it was my partners turn to pick on our movie night. It seemed to me that the whole movie was about Tom Cruise trying to be the coolest, cleverest, smartest, person in the world...I found it obnoxious. The leading lady was gorgeous but was such a poor actress. It's a silly "boy" movie suited for teens & maybe frustrated husbands needing an escape.
  10. Dec 28, 2011
    Disappointing. After reading the critic reviews for this film I expected something much more coherent from a action-spy-movie point of view. This film is totally predictable, the acting is dull, the plot seems taken from Goldeneye or another crazy-terrorist-going-after-nuclear-disaster movie from the 1980s. I don't give this film a negative score only because of great scenes at Burj Khalifa.
  11. Dec 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible. Really poor attempts at humour mixed with the disappointment that the series has become. A few flashy explosions, competent direction and cinematography, but overall a slightly dull film. A poorly written script that eschews actual storytelling, and just tries to cram action scenes together.
    Tom Cruise is at his most uncharismatic, Simon Pegg's role is superfluous, and the rest of the actors just go through the paces.
    The story is almost non-existent. There is no justifiable reason for the antagonist wanting to start World War 3, other than a pissweak flashback scene than makes no sense. The scenes and pacing feel rushed. The team seems to be trying to outdo themselves by coming up with the weakest plan possible.
    It is a thoroughly un-gripping film. I knew it was going to suck, but I was surprised at just how much it actually does suck.
    The humour is really weak. There are a couple of funny scenes, but they're quite amateurish, and feel out of place for the most part.
    It just goes to show that people are starting to enjoy trash movies rather than demanding more for the (rising) cost of their movie ticket.
  12. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was set up so well to be great, however how many times can viewers be lead to believe that the current task at hand is SO critical to stopping the bad guy, failing and then having a back up which goes through the same process of being highly critical and must be accomplished or the world will end.

The plot is the only real thing dragging the movie down, the cast, the action, the gadgets was rather good as expected from a MI movie.
  13. May 16, 2012
    giving it a 5 out of 10 for cool technology. Cgi was bad and the story had me yawning and playing games on my cellphone for about 60% of the movie. My girlfriend was equally bored.
  14. Jan 3, 2012
    A good if not great Mission: Impossible. I really wanted to see this as I have loved the director Brad Birds work in animation such as The Iron Giant and Ratatouille. While it is not as good as those movies and difficult to compare I still enjoyed it. Great action set pieces for sure and enough of a story to keep me entertained.
  15. Jan 2, 2012
    Mission Impossible 4 was a movie that did not need to be made but does manage to be fun enough for a watch and has some scenes that bring some thrills. The supporting cast take on bigger rolls in the story which is a good choice as Tom Cruses does not come across as obnoxious as he did previously. There's a suspenseful scene in Dubai Tower I found to be entertaining and makes the movieMission Impossible 4 was a movie that did not need to be made but does manage to be fun enough for a watch and has some scenes that bring some thrills. The supporting cast take on bigger rolls in the story which is a good choice as Tom Cruses does not come across as obnoxious as he did previously. There's a suspenseful scene in Dubai Tower I found to be entertaining and makes the movie worth watching. Not the greatest movie but you could do a lot worst. Expand
  16. Jan 4, 2012
    I wanted to like this movie so much after reading critic reviews and good word of mouth. However, I agree with other reviews, totally predictable, and been there done that terrorist plot. Overall, I expected more from JJ Abrams and Brad Bird- two talented directors. Also, product placement was incredibly distracting. I am sick of seeing BMWs and Dos Equis every other scene. However,I wanted to like this movie so much after reading critic reviews and good word of mouth. However, I agree with other reviews, totally predictable, and been there done that terrorist plot. Overall, I expected more from JJ Abrams and Brad Bird- two talented directors. Also, product placement was incredibly distracting. I am sick of seeing BMWs and Dos Equis every other scene. However, action scenes were incredible. Acting was fine. Worth seeing, but temper expectations. Expand
  17. Jan 8, 2012
    Action packed, no doubt, the ghost protocol is not short on thrills and spills. The story isn't amazing, but is decent enough to tie the action together. The chemistry between the characters works well, and the tech is not too shabby either (especially in one scene in the Kremlin). But to be honest, it was all a bit too much for too long. Not since transformers 3 have my eyes beenAction packed, no doubt, the ghost protocol is not short on thrills and spills. The story isn't amazing, but is decent enough to tie the action together. The chemistry between the characters works well, and the tech is not too shabby either (especially in one scene in the Kremlin). But to be honest, it was all a bit too much for too long. Not since transformers 3 have my eyes been subjected to such seamlessly never ending pointless explosions and jumping about, particularly towards the end, where I was just hoping the international wrong doers would succeed so the film could finish there and then. Expand
  18. lbl
    Jan 20, 2012
    Too long, too, too long. When the stunts start to get boring you know that the film is just way too long. Cut about thirty minutes out of it and it would have been a blast, although most of the great stuff happened in the first twenty minutes.
  19. Feb 1, 2012
    Pure action, with not much else. Lazy script writing, with the audience being whisked to exotic locations (Dubai, India) for reasons quite unclear. Some impressive shots and action sequences, my favourite being a chase in the middle of a sandstorm. But frankly, it's not enough to overcome the complete lack of a credible story. I loved the first Mission Impossible, precisely because therePure action, with not much else. Lazy script writing, with the audience being whisked to exotic locations (Dubai, India) for reasons quite unclear. Some impressive shots and action sequences, my favourite being a chase in the middle of a sandstorm. But frankly, it's not enough to overcome the complete lack of a credible story. I loved the first Mission Impossible, precisely because there was just enough of everything: suspense, tension, plot twists, character development etc. Not so for this one. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2012
    I must not have watched the same movie as everyone else, because I don't understand how anyone could think this was an above average, or even good movie. The action scenes are forced and boring; and everything was just one big joke. They tried to have funny, clever dialogue around the action, a la True Lies and failed miserably. Even the equipment they use is so ridiculous it takes awayI must not have watched the same movie as everyone else, because I don't understand how anyone could think this was an above average, or even good movie. The action scenes are forced and boring; and everything was just one big joke. They tried to have funny, clever dialogue around the action, a la True Lies and failed miserably. Even the equipment they use is so ridiculous it takes away from any "cool" factor from it. One scene, they use a device to change the engraved room number plaques in a hotel. Who would even think to invent something like that? Let alone how stupid it is to think about how something like that would even work. They even have a bunch of them, not just one! It sounds nit-picky, but the entire movie just has that feel. Outlandish gadgets that take away from any suspense or plausibility to their plans. No creative solutions to anything, just have the writers make up some gadget that fixes a plot point, then throw in some chase scenes and explosions. Maybe it's the same writers on this site that are somehow giving this movie 8's, 9's and even 10's. Save yourself the time and skip this one, you've already watched it in the previous three movies anyway. Expand
  21. May 4, 2012
    MI:4 wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't deliver on the hype and expectations. It had decently redeemable action sequences but others were staid and typical. Tom himself is a bit out of shape on the heavy side so that didn't work well for him. Simon Pegg delivered on the decent but predictable comedy relief. Paula Patton was forgettable except when wearing that gown. The villains wereMI:4 wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't deliver on the hype and expectations. It had decently redeemable action sequences but others were staid and typical. Tom himself is a bit out of shape on the heavy side so that didn't work well for him. Simon Pegg delivered on the decent but predictable comedy relief. Paula Patton was forgettable except when wearing that gown. The villains were lackluster and forgettable too which I suppose speaks to Cruise's own insecurity, which is likely why Josh Holloway (Sawyer on "LOST") was killed off so quickly. Barely recommended. Expand
  22. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie worth renting but not buying. Hour 1 was good but hour to felled rushed to me. The ending was I don't no how to explane it. MI Ghost Protocol 6.4/10
  23. Dec 15, 2012
    After watching this film, I was filled with utter apathy for it. Definitely didn't hate it, but really didn't enjoy it either. Sort of like sitting at a red light waiting for the next great green thing to come along, but really in that moment you are just sitting there doing nothing staring at some red glowing circle. Blah.
  24. Dec 15, 2012
    This movie really upset me with the amount of endorsed advertisements in it. And this movie had potential but shot down by greed to become a giant advertisement. Mission impossible was about secret-super agents that had access to high-tech gadgets. What this movie had in store was iPhone, after iPad, after iPhone. Like seriously I know the secret service does not use Apple everything toThis movie really upset me with the amount of endorsed advertisements in it. And this movie had potential but shot down by greed to become a giant advertisement. Mission impossible was about secret-super agents that had access to high-tech gadgets. What this movie had in store was iPhone, after iPad, after iPhone. Like seriously I know the secret service does not use Apple everything to get things done otherwise they would get NOTHING done. Not to mention that there's only one brand of car in the world of "Mission Impossible" and that is BMW. So we paid for a two hour advertisement...Cool. Expand

The movie is wonderful, nonsensical fun.
  2. Dec 27, 2011
    The movie is sheer hurtling mechanism - the entire world in motion - and it's great silly fun. [2 Jan. 2012, p.79]
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Dec 20, 2011
    If the M:I films are immune to the tarnish on the Cruise brand, it's precisely because their spectacle requires us to be impressed by Ethan Hunt, not to like him.