7.7

1. Dec 16, 2011
    The action scenes are the one element that makes this mission great. Not only are they creative, but director Brad Bird handles them like an action master. Personally, I haven't seen action this good since "Casino Royale." Unlike a lot of other recent action films, there's no shaky cam, and the action almost always stays focused on one particular element. In other words, it rarely gets outThe action scenes are the one element that makes this mission great. Not only are they creative, but director Brad Bird handles them like an action master. Personally, I haven't seen action this good since "Casino Royale." Unlike a lot of other recent action films, there's no shaky cam, and the action almost always stays focused on one particular element. In other words, it rarely gets out of hand and overwhelming (unlike the last two "Transformers" movies for instance). Take note, this is how action should always be done. It's sad that action this great is now a novelty, but as an action fan, I'll sure as heck take this as a gift. Besides the cinematography, I also thought the makers did a clever job of giving Hunt opportunities to escape his "impossible" situations. It was like the creators adapted Matthew Vaughn's philosophy when he made "Kick-Ass". The philosophy was this: If there's at most a 1 out of 1000 chance that a character can accomplish the stunts given to them, it's included it in the movie. Is it likely Hunt could have done the things he did? No. Is it possible? Maybe. Adapting this philosophy prevents us from laughing at the action, and it allows us, instead, to just go along for the ride. My only quibble with this film is its running time. With its fairly simple storyline and stock characters, 133 minutes is pushing it just a bit. Luckily, the cast keeps things fresh with Simon Pegg giving an incredibly sharp performance as the techie-nerd comic relief. Tom Cruise also shows us that at 49 he can kick some major ass. This is a must-see for just about any action fan, and it has to be seen in theaters. The visuals are too incredible for you to get the same effect on a television. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best action movies of the past few years. Very slickly directed & edited it all works really well together. Easy to follow plot which is still a little mysterious & unsettling. Solid acting from all concerned. Tom Cruise gives his best Ethan Hunt since MI1. Paula Patton is both tough & attractive/sexy. Simon Pegg is slightly annoying but also endearing. Jeremy Renner is bothOne of the best action movies of the past few years. Very slickly directed & edited it all works really well together. Easy to follow plot which is still a little mysterious & unsettling. Solid acting from all concerned. Tom Cruise gives his best Ethan Hunt since MI1. Paula Patton is both tough & attractive/sexy. Simon Pegg is slightly annoying but also endearing. Jeremy Renner is both mysterious & yet vague. Lea Seydoux is sexy but lethal in the best spy thriller fashion.

Brad Bird does an excellent job directing here its so well made & effortlessly edited together. ILM do a stunning job on the VFX work it has around 700 shots & most of those are invisible fake backgrounds,/buildings but look very convincing.

MI4 just really works as an action adventure/spy thriller & travels to at least 4 exotic locations. The way it all comes together is a tribute to the actors/filmmakers that in 2011 they can all make a coherent shaky cam free cinematic experience which can be followed & enjoyed by movie fans of all ages yet still manage to suck you into the story. Its more like a Pierce Brosnan bond movie at times than a Mission Impossible movie but those exotic elements help to tell the story & stop it from boring you as for the first 75% of the running time the action is wall to wall & the plot twists constant so you never get a chance to relax until the slower paced ending which even then has a few twists & some more excitement to deliver.

Highly recommened for anyone who is a Tom Cruise fan or just wants a great time at the movies.
  3. May 10, 2012
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is an above average 007 ripoff, albeit one from the Pierce Brosnin era. As such, Ghost Protocol has a bunch of fun action scenes but not much in the way of depth. Probably goes well with a nice bag of popcorn and a cold soda.
  4. May 8, 2012
    Ghost Protocol delivers the goods for the Mission Impossible series. MI3 didn't get the credit it was worthy off but MI4 certainly seems to have reignited interest in the franchise. The film is outrageous fun with some incredibly surreal yet exquisite action sequences that are easily on par with Casino Royale, yes that good. The plot up's the ante in terms of the 'impossibility' factor.Ghost Protocol delivers the goods for the Mission Impossible series. MI3 didn't get the credit it was worthy off but MI4 certainly seems to have reignited interest in the franchise. The film is outrageous fun with some incredibly surreal yet exquisite action sequences that are easily on par with Casino Royale, yes that good. The plot up's the ante in terms of the 'impossibility' factor. Ethan Hunt is assigned to lead fellow agents Benji (The awesome Simon Pegg) and Jane Carter (Paula Patton) to infiltrate the Kremlin in Moscow to locate files identifying 'Cobalt' (Michael Nyqvist) who is a Russian consultant aiming to detonate a Nuclear bomb. However, during the mission someone broadcasts across Hunt and co's frequency alerting the Russian's of Ethan and his team which leads to a frantic escape and a bomb detonating in the Kremlin leaving the IMF seemingly responsible for the attack. As a result the Russians believe the act to be an undeclared one of war resulting in the US government initiating Ghost Protocol. Jeremy Renner comes aboard as William Brandt and assists the IMF as they try to stop 'Cobalt' from starting a nuclear war. Straightforward stuff right? Certainly compared to MI3! But the plot is secondary yet it works because the action sequences are handled expertly by Brad Bird. From Ethan climbing Burj Khalifa - the highest building in the world to a car chase amidst a sandstorm they really have gone all out! The new characters introduced are relatively appealing however, personally, Simon Pegg once more is in fantastic form as Benji and really merits all the accolades and plaudits he has been credited with as he is awesome! Paula Patton was a good inclusion as the sexy yet deadly Jane Carter and Jeremy Renner was a decent alternative at times from Cruise although i don't think he is quite ready, if he ever will be, to take the reigns from our Tom just yet. The length of the film is perfectly appropriate aswell it's not as long as MI3 but is timed greatly thus time round. Ghost Protocol is a fine installment in the Mission Impossible franchise. It's an adrenaline filled funfest as a spectacle that delivers some of the the best action in recent memory and definetly takes the franchise to new heights, Brad Bird has handled everything superbly well and one suspects Tom Cruise might be back sooner than we anticpated for a fifth outing! Expand
  5. May 5, 2012
    Having seen all four of the "Mission Impossible" movies, I see no rhyme or reason to the ratings of each, when compared to one another. Each has something different as well as much of the same. That's why we go to see them, certainly why I did. None of the sequels had the depth of the first, plot wise. The second had a musical theme revamped and all around great soundtrack (best), whichHaving seen all four of the "Mission Impossible" movies, I see no rhyme or reason to the ratings of each, when compared to one another. Each has something different as well as much of the same. That's why we go to see them, certainly why I did. None of the sequels had the depth of the first, plot wise. The second had a musical theme revamped and all around great soundtrack (best), which the following two failed to reuse; the effect of the soundtrack was never so well tailored. The second also started a trend that was unmistakable in all three sequels, the acrophobes know it all too well; Cruise hanging from an overhanging escarpment in The Grand Canyon(just to relax-oh yeah) and jumping from a helicopter into the air shaft of a high rise (II), pendulum swinging from one high-rise to another in Shanghai (III), face climbing the world's tallest building with a sand storm coming towards the building (IV).

The fourth mission, the one which garnered the highest ratings (various sites) was as good as the ones before, but, in my opinion, lacked the depth of the original, plot wise, lacked the impact of the best soundtrack, but did capture all the thrill and the action the previous ones had; being mildly acrophobic, I found myself trying to catch my breath and closing my eyes for a few seconds, just long enough to muster the strength to resume watching the action.

I may not agree with the critics and other reviewers as to how well this sequel matches up with the others, but I can say with some certitude that if you liked any of the previous ones, you should like this one.
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    No matter how well done they are, spy movies with neat gadgets have never been enough to entertain me. The film has wooden characters and lazy dialogue. I am not entertained, but perhaps you will be. This is the kind of film that will be perceived differently depending on what the viewer is looking for.
  7. Feb 9, 2014
    "Ghost Protocol is ridonculous," in the words of "How I Met Your Mother" 's Ted Mosby. He's damn right, even if that is a fictional show. This movie rocked. The action scenes were exciting and exhilarating, and the plot was pretty spot on. Even the script was pretty good, with some funny jokes and realistic conversations. I also loved the gadgets and gizmos they used, whether they were"Ghost Protocol is ridonculous," in the words of "How I Met Your Mother" 's Ted Mosby. He's damn right, even if that is a fictional show. This movie rocked. The action scenes were exciting and exhilarating, and the plot was pretty spot on. Even the script was pretty good, with some funny jokes and realistic conversations. I also loved the gadgets and gizmos they used, whether they were using that screen that simulated objects behind them in the Kremlin, or those gloves Cruise wore that stick to the side of buildings. Really well-done fourth installment. If a fourth installment to a series is this good, you know the series is top notch. I really hope they make a fifth. Expand
  8. Dec 14, 2013
    With incredible action sequences and stellar acting all around, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol serves a landmark for action popcorn movies with wit, style and fun.
  9. Nov 9, 2014
  10. Dec 16, 2011
    I think Ghost Protocol is the best Mission Impossible of the lot. It grips you from beginning to end with high octane fuel filled action. The acting was great and is really quite funny at times especially with 'Sean of the Dead' Star Simon Pegg. The Scenes on the side of the tallest building in the world are breath taking and keep you on the edge of your seat. Put your reservations of TomI think Ghost Protocol is the best Mission Impossible of the lot. It grips you from beginning to end with high octane fuel filled action. The acting was great and is really quite funny at times especially with 'Sean of the Dead' Star Simon Pegg. The Scenes on the side of the tallest building in the world are breath taking and keep you on the edge of your seat. Put your reservations of Tom Cruise aside, he did really well in this action packed movie. The only flaw I noticed was, where were the people as Ethan Hunt scaled the side of the glass walled building, surely someone would have noticed? This is one movie in a series that has got better as they progress and not worse. Expand
  11. Dec 16, 2011
    Simply high octane action in the movie. This is the best action movie of 2011. Brad bird and Tom cruise rocks!! So go and watch this one because you can't afford to miss such a great action thriller flick of the mission impossible franchise.
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    Didn't regret seeing this movie. I've got my complaints, of course. Mysterious analyst Brandt's (Jeremy Renner) dramatic side-story is never fully realized, the plot feels half-baked at times, and Paula Patton's acting is lackluster. Also, one can't help but wonder how an aging physicist can keep up with a young special agent physically. Still though, this being an action movie, it failsDidn't regret seeing this movie. I've got my complaints, of course. Mysterious analyst Brandt's (Jeremy Renner) dramatic side-story is never fully realized, the plot feels half-baked at times, and Paula Patton's acting is lackluster. Also, one can't help but wonder how an aging physicist can keep up with a young special agent physically. Still though, this being an action movie, it fails or succeeds based on the merit of said action sequences and they deliver in spades. From a chase scene in the middle of a sandstorm to a fight in an automotive production facility, the viewer gets the sense that the filmmakers made a serious effort to innovate. Rather than seeking to impress the viewer based on the quantity of explosions on the screen at any given moment (like this year's godawful Transformers movie), they instead do so by building tension and maintaining a bizzarre sense of plausibility. There are other good things about this movie, like the colorful locales and effective comic relief, but those elements live to serve the effective action sequences. If you'd like to shut your brain off for an hour and a half and enjoy some of the best original action sequences produced in years, then this film would be a solid investment. If you take yourself too seriously, maybe watch something else. Expand
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is a good movie, nothing that will make you amazed. The story is ok, i am sure that we all have already seen better mission impossible movies, but this one will not disappoint you. Action is a continuous thing, Tom Cruise keeps on doing a great job and make things that certainly will make you lose your breath. Humor is also present in the movie, jokesMission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is a good movie, nothing that will make you amazed. The story is ok, i am sure that we all have already seen better mission impossible movies, but this one will not disappoint you. Action is a continuous thing, Tom Cruise keeps on doing a great job and make things that certainly will make you lose your breath. Humor is also present in the movie, jokes will appear a lot and in most of them, you will probably, at least, smile. Good film, I recommend you all to watch. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2011
    This movie was one of the best movies I've seen in 2011. It had a lot of action, politics and interesting use of gadgets. This movie was well worth the time and experience. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but he should take more roles with a Russian costume - it fits perfectly.
  15. Dec 16, 2011
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is one of the best action movies around. Action-packed and hilarious most of the time! Yes! You would laugh all the way till the end of the movie. At some points of the movie, it is definitely MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. Highly recommended.

Note: Trailer contains spoiler.
  16. Dec 22, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Saw it at an IMAX so made it so much better! Enough story along with the action to keep it interesting the whole way through.
  17. Dec 19, 2011
    Fun ride. I watched it in IMAX and was pleased with the experience. Good set pieces, good effects, good acting. It felt like Mission Impossible, granted there were some corny moments, but the movie even pokes fun at itself for one.
  18. Dec 17, 2011
    Being a James Bond fan, I've actually not put much effort into seeing the many flavors America has produced in a similar genre. I remember seeing the first Mission Impossible, and liking it. I saw the first Bourne movie, and liked it. They've just never struck me with the same interest that 007 has. Honestly, had my son not wanted to see this for his birthday, I probably would not haveBeing a James Bond fan, I've actually not put much effort into seeing the many flavors America has produced in a similar genre. I remember seeing the first Mission Impossible, and liking it. I saw the first Bourne movie, and liked it. They've just never struck me with the same interest that 007 has. Honestly, had my son not wanted to see this for his birthday, I probably would not have wanted to pursue seeing it either, but I'm glad I did. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol keeps the viewer on edge pretty much the entire time, similar to Bond. While there are simplistic points to elements of the story, I'm glad they didn't try to go too deep into complexity as the length of Ghost Protocol was almost enough to make me lose interest. However, the cast is incredible. I'm a huge Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner fan (although with Renner taking over the Bourne series and Hawkeye in The Avengers, it seemed odd that he accepted this one). Tom Cruise is aging very well and is well-received (obviously) in this role. What makes Ghost Protocol the most interesting though is its key scene in Dubai. From the eye-opening, jaw-dropping IMAX city scenes, especially those scaling the Burj Khalifa, to the unique sandstorm car chase, this 30 minute scene made the movie, for me. One can only expect so much from a story in a movie like Ghost Protocol, but when the supplement is a fantastic cast and superb film-making (without being overly effects-oriented), one can't help but enjoy the ride. Expand
  19. Dec 16, 2011
    Oh! my god this is a great action flick far more best than fast five. Its a superb thriller and most wonderful mission impossible movie in the franchise. i was damn sure that director Brad bird will again give a big hit like his previous films and he has done it. Tom cruise is again back in great action. The full movie was full of fun so finally we get the best action movie of 2011. AllOh! my god this is a great action flick far more best than fast five. Its a superb thriller and most wonderful mission impossible movie in the franchise. i was damn sure that director Brad bird will again give a big hit like his previous films and he has done it. Tom cruise is again back in great action. The full movie was full of fun so finally we get the best action movie of 2011. All the characters such as Simon pegg, Jeremie renner, were too good and last but not the least the Indian cool hero Anil kapoor had a quite fantastic character so overall the is a big blockbuster hit. So go and watch it in IMAX. The most breathtaking seen was the Burj khalifa (Dubai) when Tom cruise was climbing the tallest skyscrapper. Go and enjoy yourself don't miss it!! Expand
  20. Dec 23, 2011
    I'm pretty critical about suspending disbelief but it all depends on my expectations going in. Heck impossible is part of the title. I enjoyed it for it's "impossible-ness" so I was swept up by it and just took the ride. I appreciated the attempt to show "murphy" and his law is still in effect even in the physics defying super human spy world. The attempts at humour were pretty flat, andI'm pretty critical about suspending disbelief but it all depends on my expectations going in. Heck impossible is part of the title. I enjoyed it for it's "impossible-ness" so I was swept up by it and just took the ride. I appreciated the attempt to show "murphy" and his law is still in effect even in the physics defying super human spy world. The attempts at humour were pretty flat, and as much as I like Simon Pegg he really was too out of place for this type of flick. Spend your cash and enjoy it. Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2011
    JollyG87 pretty much summed it up for me. Great action sequences. Very clever and nicely filmed. Hats off to Brad Bird, the director. Tom Cruise did great kicking butt. LIke the supporting cast too.
  22. Dec 24, 2011
    Brad Bird takes a new level. Much pumping-action scene, good storyline. It works for big-budget popcorn entertainment. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol is the best on franchise to date.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    The best action movie of the year, and easily one of the best of all time. Brad Bird's first live action movie is exciting set-piece after set-piece and the kinetic energy never lets up. Tom Cruise is as good as ever and Simon Pegg brings a pitch perfect comedic presence. Jeremy Renner is also fantastic. The action scenes alone are worth the price of a ticket, but nearly every otherThe best action movie of the year, and easily one of the best of all time. Brad Bird's first live action movie is exciting set-piece after set-piece and the kinetic energy never lets up. Tom Cruise is as good as ever and Simon Pegg brings a pitch perfect comedic presence. Jeremy Renner is also fantastic. The action scenes alone are worth the price of a ticket, but nearly every other element works from performances to writing to music. The only thing this movie is missing is a really awesome villain. Otherwise, there is little to detract from an unbelievably exciting movie. Expand
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    An incredible action flick, on par with Casino Royale- which is just about as good as they get. There isn't a dull moment in the entire movie, no mean feat considering its lengthy running time. Cruise, Pegg, Renner, and Patton all turn in thrilling performances, laced with just enough comedic relief from Pegg to keep things fresh. The stunning set pieces- which I won't spoil for you- hitAn incredible action flick, on par with Casino Royale- which is just about as good as they get. There isn't a dull moment in the entire movie, no mean feat considering its lengthy running time. Cruise, Pegg, Renner, and Patton all turn in thrilling performances, laced with just enough comedic relief from Pegg to keep things fresh. The stunning set pieces- which I won't spoil for you- hit you one by one, and none disappoint. The much talked about Dubai tower scaling scene (not a spoiler, it's in the trailer) is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in cinema, and will have your heart palpitating the second Cruise steps out into nothingness. The only critique I can offer up is Ethan Hunt's apparent invulnerability to injury; there are several time in this film where the man's head flat out collides with walls, metal bars, and windshields without yielding a single bruise or drop of blood. But hey- I can't complain. It is called Mission IMPOSSIBLE, after all. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2011
    A good movie with great stunts. In fact, I watched the movie twice in 4 days in 2 of the 4 cities it was shot in (Dubai and Mumbai) :)

As with every other Mission Impossible movie, the action is great! I like the fact that the action videography was good. The scenes with the Burj Khalifa and the Kremlin are great. Loved the movie!
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    The best thing about this Mission: Impossible film is that this one has pretty much everything in it. As I was getting my ticket at the box office at the theatre, the attendant told me that this film had better gadgets than the James Bond films. Not only was that true, but the storyline and the action in the film was great. I loved also that there was a scenario of the risk of a nuclearThe best thing about this Mission: Impossible film is that this one has pretty much everything in it. As I was getting my ticket at the box office at the theatre, the attendant told me that this film had better gadgets than the James Bond films. Not only was that true, but the storyline and the action in the film was great. I loved also that there was a scenario of the risk of a nuclear conflict between the U.S. and Russia. What would happen if someone had access to the launch codes of nuclear weapons for the U.S. or Russia? Won't give too much away, but it all starts off with the bombing of the Kremlin. The IMF(Impossible Missions Force), has been shut down and the President has invoked Ghost Protocol. Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton team up with Tom Cruise on what is possibly the best Mission: Impossible movie yet. For those of you out there who think any James Bond movie holds the market on spy films, you might want to rethink that, because after seeing this one, no matter what James Bond film comes out, this one is truly a classic. I am even thinking of going to see it again, maybe next time going to see it on IMAX. Ving Rhames, Tom Wilkinson and Josh Holloway have small roles in this as well. This one will make you want to go see it again. Those who do not think this was a good film, really need to check for a pulse. This one is probably the best action film I have seen in recent years. Expand
  27. Dec 24, 2011
    The plot is lack-luster, though with a couple nice twists that lend it some creativity, but the action is some of the greatest action of any movie. The action sequences are completely unrealistic, yet so well-done, thrilling, and, to be honest, totally awesome that the plot doesn't need to be good. From the very first scene, Brad Bird grips you tight and doesn't let go until the creditsThe plot is lack-luster, though with a couple nice twists that lend it some creativity, but the action is some of the greatest action of any movie. The action sequences are completely unrealistic, yet so well-done, thrilling, and, to be honest, totally awesome that the plot doesn't need to be good. From the very first scene, Brad Bird grips you tight and doesn't let go until the credits start to roll. Just as James Cameron's Avatar was the new standard for top-notch special effects, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol is the new standard for top-notch action. It was well worth the 12 dollars to see it and watching it was a truly enjoyable thrill ride. Expand
  28. Dec 22, 2011
    OMG! This is a great movie! I thought I liked the other MI's but this takes the cake! I am so happy he made it. Is there anyone like Tom Cruise? No! There is not. The tower hotel in Dubai scene took my breath away more than once. Love it!
  29. Dec 27, 2011
    A good action movie of 2011 that contain more dangerous stunts and cutscenes. Although similar to The Incredibles from the same director, the action in MI4 is almost really look like it, but the plotting is a little bit confusing.
  30. Dec 29, 2011
    A very entertaining film, and great storyline. Good surprises, sounds are awesome (like hitting impacts etc.) and so is everything else in the film. I highly recommend everyone sees this

The movie is wonderful, nonsensical fun.
  2. Dec 27, 2011
    The movie is sheer hurtling mechanism - the entire world in motion - and it's great silly fun. [2 Jan. 2012, p.79]
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Dec 20, 2011
    If the M:I films are immune to the tarnish on the Cruise brand, it's precisely because their spectacle requires us to be impressed by Ethan Hunt, not to like him.