Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 24, 2000
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 482 Ratings
Watch Now
ThatCooperGuyJul 24, 2015
What the hell? What is this? Is this supposed to be an improvement? This is so boring, but I will admit it's got better action than the first movie and Tom Cruise is awesome in it, but this is such a stupid & cliché written sequel. I don'tWhat the hell? What is this? Is this supposed to be an improvement? This is so boring, but I will admit it's got better action than the first movie and Tom Cruise is awesome in it, but this is such a stupid & cliché written sequel. I don't care for any of these characters, there's so many slow-mo shots, the chemistry between Cruise and Newton is terribly forced, and it's SOOOO BORING. God damn it. That's 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back... Expand
grandpajoe6191Dec 26, 2011
Sadly, John Woo's poor direction on "Mission Impossible 2" even makes the action crappy.
MovieLonely94Nov 4, 2010
I got so bored, but Tom Cruise wasn't so bad.
EssenceOfSugarFeb 5, 2012
I think my high hopes were shattered for this film, because I felt disappointed that it did not live up to the previous film's well-crafted plot and intertwining cool action sequences. This I felt, lacked the former and added more of theI think my high hopes were shattered for this film, because I felt disappointed that it did not live up to the previous film's well-crafted plot and intertwining cool action sequences. This I felt, lacked the former and added more of the latter. The beginning was strong, but as it neared the end it went downhill, and the only thing that stopped this from hitting rock bottom was Tom Cruise's ability to pull off cool action stunts - specifically the fight between him and Ambrose added a little more drama, although any other fighting was purely for showing. Thandie Newton failed to add anything to the film, merely just a manipulative prop. In the end, the only thing that saved the film was Tom Cruise himself, but eventually it just ended up being a fun-of-the-flair cheesy mega action flick. My favourite part, though, was in the pharmaceutical lab. Expand
jwt7000Aug 6, 2012
John Woo doesn't do enough good action and better stunts with this movie and the drama, same old boringness. I wished this movie had improved to its better standards, but it did not.
pgmarkDec 16, 2010
The Hollywood milk it dry theme.... There has to be more creative scripts out there to throw money at. I guess the bond theory is in play tho. Average and I watched it. Good to have on when you are doing something else at the same time andThe Hollywood milk it dry theme.... There has to be more creative scripts out there to throw money at. I guess the bond theory is in play tho. Average and I watched it. Good to have on when you are doing something else at the same time and want a distraction in the background. Expand
hoops2448Feb 2, 2012
Mission Impossible 2 has flaws, many many flaws but its main problem is John Woo brings his signature stylised action but overdoes it. From the unnecessary twirling during gunfights to his signature doves itâ
SpangleDec 16, 2013
Great action sequences complimented by a boring plot. Action movies should keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for what happens, but with the predictability and lack of intrigue packed into this one, it's a slow two hours.
MovieGuysFeb 9, 2014
"II" is not a particularly good sequel, but don't worry:"Tis' but a flesh wound" on the M:I series. The third and fourth are much better, especially the fourth. So enjoy this one for what it is, and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
TheDude-Aug 2, 2015
Your cranium may crave more substance, but your eyes will feast on the amazing action sequences.
Mission Impossible 2 gets a 6/10
C+
2.5/5 stars.........
geo333Oct 17, 2015
This film is worth it for some action sequences, but other than that MI:2 feels empty in story-line and creativity and it doesn't relive the gripping entertainment that the first one had.
JacobMay 25, 2015
Mission Impossible II is a big dumb action movie done in the big dumb way that is only possible with Jon Wu. The direction in itself leading to tons of crazy gunfire, chases, explosions, slow motion, and doves in itself prevents this filmMission Impossible II is a big dumb action movie done in the big dumb way that is only possible with Jon Wu. The direction in itself leading to tons of crazy gunfire, chases, explosions, slow motion, and doves in itself prevents this film from being particularly good but its frustrating when it is taken into consideration how smart the first film was. The original film restrained the action scenes, minimalized the use of CGI, and a t no point was a gun fired. In this film there are gun fights galore, the film rehashes the iconic scene from the first film except with more CGI, and overall the film lacks any sort of restraint or intelligence in regards to the action scenes that the first film had. The one interesting action scene involves Ethan Hunt being stealthy and for a moment the film was remotely engaging but then it goes back to the big dumb action Jon Wu is known for. Excessive time is spent delving into an excessive romance that lends itself to a plot straight out of Hitchcock’s Notrious that is uninteresting although the love interest is kind of hot. Unless you like dumb Wu action this is a skip as it sh*ts all over what made the first film so good. At the very least though this film provided a cool take on the M.I. theme. Expand
ColginatorAug 21, 2015
Just like the first "Mission: Impossible" film was entirely different to the TV show it was based on, "Mission: Impossible II" is nothing like it's 1996 predecessor. The slow, tension building pace Palma used in the first film, has beenJust like the first "Mission: Impossible" film was entirely different to the TV show it was based on, "Mission: Impossible II" is nothing like it's 1996 predecessor. The slow, tension building pace Palma used in the first film, has been replaced by John Woo's love of fast paced action and insane shootouts. Woo draws from the auteurist action movies he made in the east like "The Killer" in order to bring his own brand of high octane action to western filmmaking.

If anyone doubted how different Woo's style would be, he immediately distances his style from the first film in the first 5 minutes. Whilst "Mission: Impossible" had its agents receive missions in stylish way that resembled a Bond movie, with a cassette tape being delivered on a plane before detonating in a puff of smoke, that approach was apparently not extreme enough for the generation that made films like "Bad Boys" a hit. So instead the mission is delivered to Hunt as he climbs a cliff, with a helicopter firing down the assignment in a missile containing a pair of sunglasses, which he listens to before they explode in a ball of flame. It's completely pointless and serves no purpose to the plot. But it's still an awesome introduction to the film, and sets the tone for the ludicrous and enjoyable action to come.

To match ridiculous action sequences like this, the plot is similarly as ridiculous and over the top. This time Ethan's mission is to retrieve and destroy a genetically engineered disease called 'Chimera', before a group of terrorists led by formal IMF agent Sean Ambrose (Dougray Scott) get a hold of it and release it to the public. To get close to him Ethan is told to recruit Sean's ex- girlfriend Nyah Nordoff-Hall (Thandie Newton) so she can seduce him. But of course as the typical American action hero, Hunt falls in love with her and thus must both stop the terrorists and save the girl.

Coincidentally, just like the first film had a heavy Hitchcock influence through its visual style and slow pacing, this film has a plot that is heavily inspired by Hitchcock's "Notorious". However unlike Notorious where there was a genuine connection between the two leads, here Cruise and Newton share no such chemistry. They hardly even spend any time together, having only a short amount of screen time with a little flirting, a short car race, and a single night of passion. But for the action movie formula, this is apparently enough to justify them being madly in love.

This wouldn't be a problem if this film did the same as the first "Mission: Impossible" and spent minimal time on character and story. But here a great portion of the film hinges on Cruise worrying for her and it doesn't work since no real connection is established between the pair. There's also several plot holes and continuity errors, with characters just showing up in random places with no explanation whatsoever. Although in the films defence, supposedly the original cut was intended to be over 3 hours long, but had to be cut down for a cinematic release which would explain most of these problems.

Regardless, it's easy to look past this weak plotting, because as always Woo's real strength relies on his action sequences. And as usual he's on top form. He transforms Cruise from the stealthy espionage spy he played in the first film, into an all American action hero similar to the likes of John Rambo.

Hunt fights through seemingly unbeatable odds, gunning down terrorists and blowing up cars, all whilst hardly gaining a single scratch because he's just that deadly. And of course Woo throws all his usual trademarks into the mix, like Cruise constantly dual wielding pistols, the gratuitous but cool slow motion and of course random doves being thrown into the climax.

But even for a director like Woo who made his name through over the top sequences like the one take hallway sequence in "Hard Boiled", this still feels a little overdone. For example, at one point in the film when Cruise is breaking into a terrorist hideout, a door blows up and a dove literally flies through the flames. Moments like this are so ridiculous that they end up feeling less like a genuine action movie and more like a flat out parody.

Even with these moments that go a little too far, it can't be denied that nobody does action quite the same as Woo does it. If his brand of insane violence didn't appeal in his previous work like "Face Off" or "A Better Tomorrow", it won't appeal here. But if you do enjoy his adrenaline fuelled style, then you'll likely enjoy it here. And whilst it may not be the strongest of the series, it's nonetheless another fun outing for the "Mission: Impossible" franchise.
marcmyworksFeb 8, 2017
Mission: Impossible 2 has none of the flare or originality of the first film and feels rather like a regular run of the mill action flick. The ideas are there but the execution is straight out of movie making-101.
BoogeeFilmGuyAug 8, 2015
Its the worst of the Mission: Impossible franchise, but that doesn't make it bad, its just... okay. Tom Cruise is still great in this film though, as always.
CineAutoctonoDec 19, 2015
Mission Impossible 2 , I am filled with a lot of suspense and action, only a little boring at times , but with a performance of " Tomsito " had much consideration and very good performance.
aadityamudharApr 19, 2016
What the hell? What is this? Is this supposed to be an improvement? This is so boring, but I will admit it's got better action than the first movie and Tom Cruise is awesome in it, but this is such a stupid & cliché written sequel. I don'tWhat the hell? What is this? Is this supposed to be an improvement? This is so boring, but I will admit it's got better action than the first movie and Tom Cruise is awesome in it, but this is such a stupid & cliché written sequel. I don't care for any of these characters, there's so many slow-mo shots, the chemistry between Cruise and Newton is terribly forced, and it's SOOOO BORING. God damn it. That's 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back! Expand
BarneyOnMTMay 28, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Mission: Impossible returns, and it's just as gripping as before. This time the anti is upped thanks to the addition of some (albeit cheesy) character development and a higher-stakes story. It's big, brash and exciting stuff,WHAT I LIKED: Mission: Impossible returns, and it's just as gripping as before. This time the anti is upped thanks to the addition of some (albeit cheesy) character development and a higher-stakes story. It's big, brash and exciting stuff, and is exactly what we will come to expect from this franchise (especially where the first 3 movies are concerned.)
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's also just as confusing and ridiculous as the last movie, thus it feels like it asks us to take it a little too seriously when it's so cliched. Style over substance describes this one in particular down to a tee.
VERDICT: Mission: Impossible is always just a bit of fun, but it is a confusing and cheesy bit of fun. This time around is nothing new, but it's still pretty enjoyable too.
MonkiReviewsMay 29, 2017
I didn't enjoy it, at all. The characters felt empty somehow. The plot was worse than the first, and very boring. I don't understand the good reviews.