7.0

1. Dec 26, 2011
    J.J Abrams sorta made "Mission Impossible 3" with a ominous fuse of Brian De Palma's story and John Woo's action. The result? Manageable.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    One of the best action adventure movies I have ever watched despite a good chill and thrill by the great director of J.J. Abrams. I also liked the great cast and of course a chilling plot.
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    Mission Impossible III delivers good drama than action. Not so much pumping action scenes. But it works for thrilling summer movie. J.J. Abrams is good.
  4. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The third "Mission: Impossible" film starring Tom Cruise as IMF Agent Ethan Hunt. This time directed by "Lost" creator J.J. Abrams.

Ethan Hunt is now training IMF agents and ready to settle down and marry the woman he loves, Julia (Michelle Monaghan). That is until one of the new agents he trained, Lindsay Ferris (Keri Russell) is captured by weapons dealer Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman) in Berlin. Hunt is called back into active duty to save her, but after the mission fails, he decides to track down and capture Davian in Rome without authorization, with the help of his IMF team (Ving Rhames, Johnathan Rhys-Meyers and Maggie Q.). After Davian escapes with the help of someone inside IMF, he kidnaps Julia and threatens to kill her unless Hunt gets him a secret unknown weapon called "the rabbits foot" from a secure building in Shanghai, China. Now, Hunt must race against time to save Julia, and stop Davian from getting his hands on "the rabbits foot".

The plot is a little predictable, and the one theme that stays constant throughout all three films is that the IMF has a lot of traitors within its organization, but in my opinion this is the best of the "Mission: Impossible" movies. Director J.J. Abrams gives the film a very gritty feel, and you can see the influences of "Lost" in his style, as well with Michael Giacchino's music score. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great villain, and I loved the way he met his end (face meet bumper)!
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    Having given up his high-risk assignments in favour of training new agents and the opportunity to settle down with his fiance Ethan Hunt (Cruise) finds himself back in the field when his young protege goes missing.

As with most big budget blockbusters Mission Impossible 3 is full of plot holes and convenient happenings. Thanks to some well directed action sequences and good performances
    from most of the cast however it is certainly an entertaining enough watch and provides what you would expect from the genre, nothing more, nothing less. Collapse
  6. Jan 22, 2012
    Mission: Impossible III is always competent, and is considerably better than M:I-2 but lacks the excitement and consistency of the first film. The action is generally well handled, but ranges from jaw-dropping set-pieces (the scene where the IMF team frantically try to bring down a lethal military drone on a rapidly disintegrating bridge), to the ridiculous (Ethan Hunt BASE jumping from halfway down a Shanghai skyscraper) to the uncreative and dull (the opening hostage rescue in a guarded warehouse). Concerning the actors, Tom Cruise still does what he needs to do, Ving Rhames is as entertaining as ever, and Philip Seymour Hoffman's makes a terrifically scary villain, but the vast majority of the rest of the cast tend to drift listlessly through the film. Michelle Monaghan, despite being a key addition to the cast in theory (she does play Ethan Hunt's fiancee after all) feels more like a spare wheel, an unwelcome bit of emotional baggage that slows the pace of the story, Billy Crudup and Laurence Fishburne's characters are woefully underdeveloped, Maggie Q plays the same character she plays in every film, and Keri Russell and Eddie Marsan don't get enough screen time to make any impact whatsoever. The film always looks good, and J. J. Abrams gets ample opportunity to flex his directorial muscles on the big screen for the first time, but the main disappointment of M:I--3 is the story. It's flimsy, unable to adequately support the plethora of action sequences let alone allow for any sort of character development. Thankfully, the silly hyper-real facemasks don't play as key a role to the plot this time round, and it's kind of cool that we get to see how they're made, plus the filmmakers finally acknowledge the need for contact lenses and voice--changing software for an IMF agent to convincingly imitate their target (though it still doesn't explain how Cruise can believably pose as any other man considering his diminutive stature). Mission: Impossible III looks good and has a few stand-out sequences and a great performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman to offer us, but the lazy story and the addition of an ill-defined romantic subplot detracts from the viewing experience as a whole, and some of the actors simply don't look like they're really trying. J.J. Abram's film directorial debut is solidly O.K., but nothing more. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2011
    I give this movie 100% ratings because its the best action thriller till now of tom cruise. The movie just takes you in a cruise full of action and mind bending thriller which no one has seen yet. It really keeps your interest in whats next. This one is one of the best action thriller movie till now.
  8. Sep 23, 2011
    That's what a call action, and good one. it's a low 8, but for the type of movie I was very impressed, I watched the first one, didn't like it that much, but this one i enjoyed. J.J. Abrams had to came to make this collection better off course. Tom Cruise was freaking fantastic in the movie, like he was jumping, shooting, killing, hell that **** was awesome.
  9. Jan 23, 2012
    Mission Impossible 3 might just be worse than its sloppy predecessor if only because it is unimaginative and so incredibly simplistic. It does have some great action sequences (A daring prison transport break on an unstable bridge) but it lets them down with some equally dull and uneventful action sequences (the opening warehouse raid). However the main segment of the film that is the most disappointing is the heist in the Vatican which under the direction of one of the previous MI directors Brian De Palma and John Woo could have been electric and adventurous is unfortunately slow, basic and downright boring, thanks to JJ Abrams playing it safe with the entire film playing like a really bad yet expensive episode of Alias (created by Abrams). Every now and then there is some semblance of flair but its quickly discarded in favour of more mundane camera work. Even the music in the film leaves much to be desired despite the fact its by an Oscar winning composer (Michael Giacchino). In fact it's a film that suffers in every possible way because of Abrams, with the look of the film and the actors being fine. It's the direction, writing and general feel of the film that seriously lack. The writing by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and JJ Abrams is hammy with key scenes being clunky, bordering on embarrassing. The film is just wrong. Finally someone should tell Mr Abrams that even if you have the money to film a stylish slow motion gun toss it doesn't mean you should, its just unnecessary and unbelievably stupid. Expand
  10. Feb 29, 2012
    The tension and the antagonists are frenetic and make the mission continuous among an impossible level. Though, it is tied with Mission: Impossible II.
  11. Jan 11, 2012
    This is the less Mission Impossible thta I like, I don´t know why but it makes me sleep like in the middle of it and the action is not as good as the second film. And the bad guy, didn´t look like a bad guy to me. I was dissapointed with this.
  12. Dec 31, 2011
    best film out of the 4.(GREAT VILLIAN,Mr.Hoffman) It has the intelligence of the first (the second best film after Fargo in 1996), and the action is almost as good as ghost protocol, the 2nd mission impossible is the weakest, (it is enjoyable even with all the flaws tho). Anyways I rink the films 1.Mi 3(10) 2.Mi 1(10) 3.Mi 4(9.5) 4. Mi2(7) Ghost Protocol is The Best Action film in years but it's story is pretty mediocre,even though the actual dialogue is clever and the pacing and cinematography is amazing for an action film) Overall Mi 3 is the best of the series because it executes everything! But M.I. 4 Has the best Action and is the Funniest, Mi 1 Has the best direction(I LOVED the feeling of paranoia and experimental cinematography) and Mi2 is fairly enjoyable even with flaws....Great Action Series Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2014
    This movie reminded me most about the first part of M:i series - though it was still hurried and sometimes a little unclear in its turn of events. The well contructed story suffered from that.

An enjoyable watch, sure, but still I would have hoped a little slower beat. Action is good, but not when there's too much at once and the viewers are left slightly confused of what is really going on.
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    A movie of utter garbage. Every scene was either taken from a better movie or too stupid to have ever have been in any other movie. Just a bunch of rerun nonsense.
  15. Jun 20, 2013
    It was good to see this series get back on track after a sub par sequel. J.J. Abrams brings a sense of style and story telling that gives this series back its kick. Plus it's always good to add Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
  16. Feb 9, 2014
    A month ago, I would've wrote "Mission Impossible III isn't the best movie by itself, but a down-to-earth, no-bs performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman really elevated the movie to a new level." Now (February 9th, 2014), I write the same thing. The late actor's performance in this movie was one of his best, probably about 4th to Doubt, The Master, and Capote. His talents will be missed.
  17. Nov 13, 2013
    Mission Impossible III was a step in the right direction.
    After a very disappointing sequel to the spy series, MI3 recaptures some of the magic with a more "down to earth" Tom Cruise and a much more realistic basis.
  18. Jul 15, 2014
    M I 3 as a ton of great action, thrills and laughs. The cast is phenomenal and the action packs a solid
    punch. Hoffman impresses as the antagonist and the movie is very fast paced. M I 3 rules as a non-
    stop action thriller.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    An inspired middle-hour pumped by some solid action gives you an idea how good the franchise could be, but we now live in a post-Bourne, recalibrated-Bond universe, where Ethan Hunt looks a bit lost.
  2. In his feature debut, "Lost" creator J.J. Abrams, who got the job on the basis of "Alias," takes the driver's seat with both feet on the accelerator.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For all its far-fetched formulations, this new entry maintains more of a dramatic throughline and has the bonus of a villain played with unsparing meanness by Philip Seymour Hoffman.