Mission: Impossible

8.2

1. Dec 29, 2012
    it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Decent acting by the cast (could have been better), Action packed, Story isn't hard to follow as some reviews said if you have the capability of paying attention. I think the one problem I had with it is that there is no depth in the plot. It's too straight forward with no back story. Other then that, It was still a solid film and I am going to give theit was a pretty enjoyable movie. Decent acting by the cast (could have been better), Action packed, Story isn't hard to follow as some reviews said if you have the capability of paying attention. I think the one problem I had with it is that there is no depth in the plot. It's too straight forward with no back story. Other then that, It was still a solid film and I am going to give the sequel a chance. Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    Despite it being action-packed with an awesome theme tune, there doesn't seem to be much more. Cruise's Mission Impossible films seem to be nothing but repetitive, however many times they have different actors. Even though films are sometimes a step away out of reality, the actions that Hunt does completely shatters the meaning of the word 'logic'. This doesn't bring anything new to theDespite it being action-packed with an awesome theme tune, there doesn't seem to be much more. Cruise's Mission Impossible films seem to be nothing but repetitive, however many times they have different actors. Even though films are sometimes a step away out of reality, the actions that Hunt does completely shatters the meaning of the word 'logic'. This doesn't bring anything new to the genre anyway. Yeah, look, OMG, brilliant technology, but that just means they try too hard to look clever. If we don't know what they're doing, how on earth does that mean it's clever? Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2012
    I found the story's lack of tension to be boring amongst entertaining adventures without enough thrills and suspense along with underrated action sequences. Not that impressive, but it was OK.
  4. Jan 23, 2016
    Many will be surprised that I am reviewing this film, especially twenty years after it was released, but it was Directed by the legendary, Brian De Palma, making it a must see for me. In general, I find these huge franchise films to be fun, some are better than others, but that's usually based on the writing and the cast. In watching the first of the Mission: Impossible films, myMany will be surprised that I am reviewing this film, especially twenty years after it was released, but it was Directed by the legendary, Brian De Palma, making it a must see for me. In general, I find these huge franchise films to be fun, some are better than others, but that's usually based on the writing and the cast. In watching the first of the Mission: Impossible films, my expectations were very high, and while Tom Cruise didn't disappoint, Brian De Palma certainly did. The king of mystery could have developed a better story than this. The action sequences were impressive and the special effects were way over the top, but I still felt the story could have been developed a lot more. Maybe being the first film in an eventual franchise, producers wanted to give the series as much action and explosions as possible. If that was the case, they should have called Michael Bay, this film has all the makings of one of his films, not a De Palma film. That being said, the bottom line is that first mission is exactly what you'd expect it to be. Student replacing teacher, in a film that's one chase and fire fight after another. It was entertaining, but not something that requires a whole lot of thinking. Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2013
    For a summer blockbuster, Mission: Impossible is pretty good, but at the end of the day, an implausible plot with implausible action scenes wind up hurting a well acted film. Overall, it is enjoyable, however.
  6. Jul 24, 2015
    I'd like to go on a bit of a tangent: A lot of people think that the first Superman movie is boring, slow-paced, and uninteresting. While I agree that it has a slow pace, I still think it is a very entertaining movie. The reason I bring this up is because those thoughts people have against the first Superman movie are pretty much the same thoughts I have on the first "Mission: Impossible".I'd like to go on a bit of a tangent: A lot of people think that the first Superman movie is boring, slow-paced, and uninteresting. While I agree that it has a slow pace, I still think it is a very entertaining movie. The reason I bring this up is because those thoughts people have against the first Superman movie are pretty much the same thoughts I have on the first "Mission: Impossible".

It's not a terrible movie, it's just a terribly uninteresting movie. Maybe because its sequels(mainly M:I-III & Ghost Protocol) are much more amusing to watch. Tom Cruise's stunt work is always great to watch, but it's surrounded by a bunch of boring scenes and a very predictable plot. there are scenes I love, like the white room break in, and even the convoluted/preposterous Helicopter chase at the end, but I always end up losing interest after the first 40 minutes.

The cinematography and theme song are both fantastic, but they're not enough for me to recommend this movie. I'd say skip to the sequels... or at least M:I-III...
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    Mission: Impossible is an exciting spy thriller.
    With a solid plot and believable characters Mission: Impossible succeeds to entertain the average action lover.
  8. Aug 4, 2015
    "Mission: Impossible" is an above-average classic with enough spectacle and a likable performance from Tom Cruise to overcome its occasionally convoluted script and disappointing final act.

1. Charlotte Observer
    Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Aug 2, 2015
    De Palma makes us sweat; slow, quiet scenes are as nerve-bending as occasional explosions and the final, frantic battle. He calls himself a director for hire on projects such as this and "The Untouchables," where he has little input before shooting. But his skill at maintaining tension is his main asset, and he uses it to the max here. [24 May 1996, p.1E]
  2. The Globe and Mail (Toronto)
    Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Aug 2, 2015
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make heads or tails of this Byzantine thing. [22 May 1996]
  3. Miami Herald
    Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Aug 2, 2015
    Mission: Impossible is full of red herrings and MacGuffins, but even if you can't keep track of who's doing what to whom, it's hugely enjoyable for its sheer kinetic power. It's a soulless trinket, and it never really grabs you the way good action films do. But it moves like a demon, and it's consistently dazzling. [22 May 1996, p.1D]