5.8

1. DonaldG.
    Aug 16, 2001
    Critics of this film want a better script; they want a rational, deeply psychological-verbal script. But Mission To Mars tells its story through the visual framework of camera and editing. I rate it a 10 because I think its a masterpiece of an attempt to get beyond all the human racism of characters with supposedly 'unique' feelings and especially complex psyches. What this film Critics of this film want a better script; they want a rational, deeply psychological-verbal script. But Mission To Mars tells its story through the visual framework of camera and editing. I rate it a 10 because I think its a masterpiece of an attempt to get beyond all the human racism of characters with supposedly 'unique' feelings and especially complex psyches. What this film offers us is an imaginative and visually stunning mythos concerning the greater family of life in which the much cherished 'human psychology' obsession is radically down-played. It is to science fiction film what Mozart's Magic Flute is to opera. Congratulations and thanks ...to all concerned and especially Mr. De Palma. Expand
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    A space movie that is about hope, awe, and wonder rather than the anti-human-aliens and space-horror fest that has been the norm in this genre for the last 35 years. A rare gem in science fiction cinema.

De Palma's film is a mess from its anxious start all the way through to its new-agey end, relying heavily on cribs from Kubrick and Cameron and even the recent "Apollo 13."
  2. One of the most gorgeous science-fiction movies ever - and probably also one of the most realistic in detail and scientific extrapolation
  3. The picture is equally long on eye-dazzling camera work and New Age sentimentality.