5.8

1. DonaldG.
    Aug 16, 2001
    Critics of this film want a better script; they want a rational, deeply psychological-verbal script. But Mission To Mars tells its story through the visual framework of camera and editing. I rate it a 10 because I think its a masterpiece of an attempt to get beyond all the human racism of characters with supposedly 'unique' feelings and especially complex psyches. What this film Critics of this film want a better script; they want a rational, deeply psychological-verbal script. But Mission To Mars tells its story through the visual framework of camera and editing. I rate it a 10 because I think its a masterpiece of an attempt to get beyond all the human racism of characters with supposedly 'unique' feelings and especially complex psyches. What this film offers us is an imaginative and visually stunning mythos concerning the greater family of life in which the much cherished 'human psychology' obsession is radically down-played. It is to science fiction film what Mozart's Magic Flute is to opera. Congratulations and thanks ...to all concerned and especially Mr. De Palma. Expand
  2. GustavoH.R.
    Jan 11, 2004
    One of the most underrated - and beautiful sci-fi films of the new century. Exquisitely shot, beautifully scored and suspensful, M2M is a fine entertainment.
  3. RyanM.
    Sep 4, 2001
    This film depends on everything it has, which is a whole lot.
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think the people who rated this film low,were probably expecting some action film,& dont 'get' what this film is meant to be about,or religious types,who dont their beliefs challenged.This film never claimed to be an action movie.Its a subtle & thought provoking film,that challenges the ideas & presents other theories of what started life on earth.The acting was top notch,& i was gripped from beginning to end.& so what if the Aliens were not bad guys! not every film has to be sinister,& it was refreshing to see the mystery at the end was not sinister at all,but something else.a paragon. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2011
    I don' really remember the precise details of "Mission to Mars" (I was a kid back then). But I do still remember the wonderful performance of Tim Robbins as well as his prominent sacrifice for his team. Overall, I believe I liked it.
  6. DerekS.
    Oct 6, 2008
    I felt the movie was underplayed because of the ending. Overall the movie was good, though the acting in some parts was a little wooden. Special effects were top notch and I liked the premise.
  7. ColeL.
    Nov 22, 2001
    A sci-fi flick, but it holds itself up straight with everthing it has. Which is not a lot.
  8. GilbertMulroneycakesAndTheSpidersFromMars
    Nov 25, 2002
    Brian de "Now-Great, Now-Rubbish" Palma does it again. Watchable enough.
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    Mission to Mars is a nicely detailed science-fiction exploration movie. It harkens back to the spirit of 1950's Sci-Fi, where slimy monsters and gun fire was not an automatic box-check and the simple wonderment of the stars alone was enough to carry a movie. That said, it's best not to look for any sense of realism in Mission to Mars, as just like all those classic 50's flicks, thingsMission to Mars is a nicely detailed science-fiction exploration movie. It harkens back to the spirit of 1950's Sci-Fi, where slimy monsters and gun fire was not an automatic box-check and the simple wonderment of the stars alone was enough to carry a movie. That said, it's best not to look for any sense of realism in Mission to Mars, as just like all those classic 50's flicks, things aren't developed much past Flash Gorden. If however, you feel like an Errol Flynn style voyage of discovery, Mission to Mars is a delightful ride. Expand
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    A space movie that is about hope, awe, and wonder rather than the anti-human-aliens and space-horror fest that has been the norm in this genre for the last 35 years. A rare gem in science fiction cinema.

De Palma's film is a mess from its anxious start all the way through to its new-agey end, relying heavily on cribs from Kubrick and Cameron and even the recent "Apollo 13."
  2. One of the most gorgeous science-fiction movies ever - and probably also one of the most realistic in detail and scientific extrapolation
  3. The picture is equally long on eye-dazzling camera work and New Age sentimentality.