Mona Lisa Smile

5.4

1. Avina
    Dec 13, 2003
    Worth seeing with the brilliant performances.
  2. Justice
    Dec 19, 2003
    I had read the reviews before seeing the movie and I wonder why they all concentrate on the issues and not the movie itself. Because Julia did "Erin Brokovich"? This is entertainment, funny and sad moments alike, competent cast with electric performances from Marcia Gay Harden and Ginnie Cunningham. It will make you think, but it doesn't shove its very clear message down your throat. I had read the reviews before seeing the movie and I wonder why they all concentrate on the issues and not the movie itself. Because Julia did "Erin Brokovich"? This is entertainment, funny and sad moments alike, competent cast with electric performances from Marcia Gay Harden and Ginnie Cunningham. It will make you think, but it doesn't shove its very clear message down your throat. On the other hand, would you go to see a Julia Roberts' movie if everyone of them was a "message" movie? You decide. You want another "Brokovich"? If you like Julia, and want to broker this somewhere on a list of her favorite films - well you get tehm all. Its closest comparison is "Something To Talk About". If you liked that movie, you will surely enjoy this one. Expand
  3. MorrB.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Very enjoyable trip back to the 50's which captures much of the look and the attitudes of the period, in spite of the predictable story line.
  4. NessaR
    Oct 8, 2004
    I loved the movie, I found it interesting to watch and i thought it great actoring by all performers... And the story line was heart touching. I recommend anyone to watch it.
  5. SarahB.
    Apr 26, 2004
    This, obviously, is a chick flick, since it's centered around many different women and their jobs/roles/duties in the 1950s. I really liked the movie, and if you started the movie with an open mind, you might have had a different opinion, instead of rating it depressingly low.
  6. JoeB.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Very entertaining movie. Fine performances and an interesting story.
  7. MarkP.
    Dec 19, 2003
    The cast is outstanding- it's like a big, oldfashioned movie, captures the atmosphere of the 50s and is really a good time at the movies.
  8. LaurenG.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Though I'm not raving for this movie, I just want to congratulate Maggie Gyllenhaal on another outstanding performance. The sarcasm and mockery to her character kept this movie going.
  9. PatC.
    Dec 29, 2003
    While it generally follows the outline of Deat Poet's Society, it is less confrontational, more subtle, and therefore more plausible. A simple feel-good chick flick that strives to not overstate or be politically offensive. One of Roberts's more balanced performances. In the end, affirms the value of maturing women in spite of their flaws. No harm in that, but I can't say While it generally follows the outline of Deat Poet's Society, it is less confrontational, more subtle, and therefore more plausible. A simple feel-good chick flick that strives to not overstate or be politically offensive. One of Roberts's more balanced performances. In the end, affirms the value of maturing women in spite of their flaws. No harm in that, but I can't say it does the same for men, who are mere props here. (Note to young married women: Your husband might do a better job explaining your situation than some mother figure.) Expand
  10. PatrickH.
    Apr 15, 2004
    Very good overall. Excellent acting, and a very nice topic. Sometimes a little confusing, but still a great film.
  11. SamanthaL.
    Apr 29, 2004
    I loved it! It was very good, and Julia Roberts was perfect. How stereotypical of people to think that Julia can only star in "prostitute" movies! I give it two thumbs up.
  12. K.Burcham
    Dec 21, 2003
    I have to admit it's not the greatest movie ever... it definitely could have been better. My biggest complaints are that the movie didn't really delve as deep as it could have and the scenes were sometimes ended in awkward places. Still, I think the movie is worth seeing. Julia Roberts is great in whatever role, and the young stars of the movie deserve credit also.
  13. KatieP.
    Dec 22, 2003
    What a fantastic movie.
  14. JuneB.
    Dec 26, 2003
    How people did not love this movie I don't know. But I would say that most people that didn't like it were probably male. This movie was not boring in the least. I loved it.

1. It's a gussied-up sorority-of-rising-stars project produced, I fantasize, by baby-boomer studio guys whose younger spouses articulately defend a woman's right to stay home and raise the kids.
  2. Rote characterizations and a trite, even condescending, attitude toward that era's misguided mores robs the film of the satiric punch Todd Haynes delivered in "Far From Heaven."
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Maybe Wellesley isn't the only injured party here. Can an audience sue for cruel and edifying punishment?