8.0

1. Jan 17, 2012
    Moneyball is a film that you could easily misjudge, it is a sports movie and starring by Brad Pitt, how deep can it get? A lot more than what people think. Moneyball teach you that experience does not mean too much when taking a decision. Sometimes you need to take another point of view or a different way, in order to makes things right. This film shows how two men face their ideals andMoneyball is a film that you could easily misjudge, it is a sports movie and starring by Brad Pitt, how deep can it get? A lot more than what people think. Moneyball teach you that experience does not mean too much when taking a decision. Sometimes you need to take another point of view or a different way, in order to makes things right. This film shows how two men face their ideals and their fear of change, so as to pull out the baseball team of the loser chart. They resort to math and statistics.
    This team represents the whole life of manager, the players are his family and when he notice that, he decides to forget about the politic of not get involved, because is easier to let them go; and start doing the opposite. Is predictable what comes of that, the team improved.
    The performance of Brad Pitt is one the best I have seen in years and Johan Hill surprised me, the only problem of the movie is that it is a little bit slow, but when the plot is as original as this one, the speed of the film is not important.
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    Disclaimers first: could care less about baseball and haven't read the book; but I went with a huge baseball fan, huge A's fan and read the book. So, it was ok movie, enjoyed the phone trading scenes, which I'm told was introduced by this guy. Told it was a good reproduction of the book, so give the screenplay thumbs up. But overall, it was slow, slow, slow and way too long, far too manyDisclaimers first: could care less about baseball and haven't read the book; but I went with a huge baseball fan, huge A's fan and read the book. So, it was ok movie, enjoyed the phone trading scenes, which I'm told was introduced by this guy. Told it was a good reproduction of the book, so give the screenplay thumbs up. But overall, it was slow, slow, slow and way too long, far too many shots, long and short, devoted to Pitt's SERIOUS CONTEMPLATION. Ya, got it the first two times. So, if you like baseball or read the book, go see it. But otherwise, spend your money some other way. Expand
  3. Sep 23, 2011
    Nice drama about a troubled GM Billy Beane who did not make it as a number one draft choice of the NY Mets. But he went onto have a very nice career as a GM for the Oakland A's having to play with the big boys {big market clubs} working with about 20% of their capital. He had a chance to become GM of the Red Sox and turned it down to stay with the A's. All it proves is that he likes toNice drama about a troubled GM Billy Beane who did not make it as a number one draft choice of the NY Mets. But he went onto have a very nice career as a GM for the Oakland A's having to play with the big boys {big market clubs} working with about 20% of their capital. He had a chance to become GM of the Red Sox and turned it down to stay with the A's. All it proves is that he likes to beat his head against the wall because longterm he can never win. I would have liked to see more character development because he is in a no win situation. No questioning his passion for the job but the truth is baseball without a hardcap is a flawed product in which 99% of the times only the big markets can win! Nice acting but otherwise the movie is going nowhere. It is never explained why he is such a troubled soul? I would have loved to see his life unfold. What is the definition of insanity? To do the same thing over and over and to expect a different result. Billy can find talent but has no chance of ever keeping it the way the current state of affairs is managed under Bud Selig. I live in NYC but feel the small markets have been shut out of competing. How can you continually root for IBM but that is what Yankee fans do every year as they must buy every new toy on the free agent market. Very sad commentary on true sportsman who love the game on a level playing field. If Billy had the same tools to work with he is one of the best in the business. No one doubts that! Just another movie going nowhere. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2011
    Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, General Manager for the Oakland A's, who was the first to adopt statistical analysis in assembling a baseball team. Against everybody's suggestion he persists on this path and you can guess the results (or you may know, since this is based on fact). This is pretty much Pitt's movie: He produced it and is in almost every scene. He's engaging enough, but it'sBrad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, General Manager for the Oakland A's, who was the first to adopt statistical analysis in assembling a baseball team. Against everybody's suggestion he persists on this path and you can guess the results (or you may know, since this is based on fact). This is pretty much Pitt's movie: He produced it and is in almost every scene. He's engaging enough, but it's Jonah Hill's subdued comic partnership that adds some warmth. Otherwise, it's a non-stop, one-note drive for a man to achieve his vision. While there are a few sports scenes, most of this features people sitting around talking. While it's interesting to watch the narrative unfold, it's never moving or exciting, just flatly informational. Expand
  5. Dec 18, 2011
    Not a bad movie but not unique either. I was hoping Moneyball would tackle the obvious problem that baseball is absurd with no spending cap. Instead it was a pretty basic story about a ball club who builds an unlikely team using statistics. Low intensity type of story with been-there-seen-that characters. Pretty white bread, toast-no-jam kind of story. The irony is that the endingNot a bad movie but not unique either. I was hoping Moneyball would tackle the obvious problem that baseball is absurd with no spending cap. Instead it was a pretty basic story about a ball club who builds an unlikely team using statistics. Low intensity type of story with been-there-seen-that characters. Pretty white bread, toast-no-jam kind of story. The irony is that the ending praises the Red Sox for winning with Beane's system when actually the year the Sox won the series they had the SECOND HIGHEST PAYROLL IN THE LEAGUE so you can forget all that b.s. Nice try. Expand
  6. MJT
    Oct 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the movie and Brad Pitt is excellent. The problem I have with the movie is I have the disadvantage of actually knowing something about the 2002 Oakland A's. The film is dishonest because it willfully overstates the impact of a few baseball scrubs and completely ignores the great players the A's already had. Not only that it willfully misrepresents the fact that Jeremy Giambi (Jason Giambi's brother) played in 124 games for the A's the year before in 2001! He wasn't a new discovery. How could the filmmaker not even mention that the A's had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball in 2001 and they were back for 2002: Barry Zito won 23 games in 2001 and won the Cy Young Award as the league's best pitcher, Mark Mulder won 19 games, Tim Hudson won 15 games. They are literally never mentioned in the film! Miguel Tejada is barely mentioned and he was the League MVP batting over .300 with 34 home runs and 131 runs batted in. Eric Chavez is never mentioned and he hit 34 homers and drove in 109 runs. David Justice, meanwhile, was kind of a wash out and Scott Hatteberg was important to the team--but, certainly there was already a key group of players in place. Also, the concept of on base percentage was not new...and the previous A's general manager Sandy Alderson was instrumental in using statistical analysis before Billy Beane arrived. And, Johnny Damon had had a terrible 2001 season, so letting him go was not without reason anyway. Also, the Minnesota Twins, who beat the A's in the playoffs, had virtually an identical small payroll and continued to be a more competitive team than the A's over the next decade. So, my main problem with the film is not to say that the "moneyball" approach didn't do anything for the A's--it did. But, it didn't do everything and they were not alone in using statistical analysis to discover value. But, that's Hollywood--overstating and making things black and white is their specialty. Brad Pitt is really getting to be a much better actor as he ages though--he's excellent in the movie. Expand
  7. Feb 20, 2012
    Simply put, the movie was not that good. There was nothing new about this movie I have not seen before and the movie was slow for my taste. Over-rated and not worth a purchase but maybe a rent.
  8. Lyn
    Feb 5, 2012
    I liked it, but honestly can't imagine it holding the interest of anyone who's not a big baseball fan. I have to attribute many of this film's accolades to a not-completely-rational adoration of Brad Pitt and Aaron Sorkin. (An Oscar nod for Jonah Hill? Really?)
  9. Mar 10, 2012
    I have never watched baseball, nor do I get what skillsets are required in a player or a team for that matter, so a film about putting a baseball team together leaves me at least indifferent. The performances are good but not Oscar worthy and the direction is tight and for someone who appreciates the subject matter better than I do, this could really be something quite special. But not for me.
  10. Oct 10, 2011
    Baseball is the sport to follow if you love numbers. Almost every aspect of the game can be and is quantified by a percentage which both ball clubs and fans use to rank players. The science of ranking players using particular categories, specifically on base percentage, is the foundation for an analysis program known as sabermetrics. Moneyball never uses this term, but that is what theyBaseball is the sport to follow if you love numbers. Almost every aspect of the game can be and is quantified by a percentage which both ball clubs and fans use to rank players. The science of ranking players using particular categories, specifically on base percentage, is the foundation for an analysis program known as sabermetrics. Moneyball never uses this term, but that is what they are talking about. Moneyball tells the story of the Oakland Athleticsâ Collapse
  11. Oct 5, 2011
    Enjoyable and well made, but too long. I'm not sure why slow, boring, and expansive pauses have become the norm with today's filmmakers, but they are prevalent throughout the movie. I just kept wanting to snap my fingers repeatedly to tell them to "pick up the pace!" I didn't want action or thrills, but I was hoping to avoid boredom. In many ways, this film was similar to watching aEnjoyable and well made, but too long. I'm not sure why slow, boring, and expansive pauses have become the norm with today's filmmakers, but they are prevalent throughout the movie. I just kept wanting to snap my fingers repeatedly to tell them to "pick up the pace!" I didn't want action or thrills, but I was hoping to avoid boredom. In many ways, this film was similar to watching a pitchers duel. It was interesting and at times exciting, but you ultimately start to drift and lose interest by the end of the 5th inning. Decent performance by a strong cast, especially Pitt and Hoffman. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2011
    Maybe it's my lack of knowledge about baseball history but I don't think so. I was bored. Brad Pitt was fairly engaging but the best part of the film was Jonah Hill. Its getting a 6 from me only in comparison to what else is out there at the moment.
  13. Jan 16, 2012
    Let's get the obvious out of the way. Too long. Mr Hill was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Globes). He cracks one joke, has 2 facial expressions, and tosses Mr Pitt the ball; compared to Mr Plummer? It was not a bad performance but not one worthy of an award. The story is of course interesting; how Mr Beane defied the way of doing things and brought technology to baseball. ButLet's get the obvious out of the way. Too long. Mr Hill was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Globes). He cracks one joke, has 2 facial expressions, and tosses Mr Pitt the ball; compared to Mr Plummer? It was not a bad performance but not one worthy of an award. The story is of course interesting; how Mr Beane defied the way of doing things and brought technology to baseball. But watching "the streak" was like watching a Twilight Zone episode or "The Natural", I knew something great was going to happen but in the end it would not be enough. The ultimate goal of every ball team is to win the championship, and of course they didn't. Mr Pitt is confusing in the role. I have no idea why he wears a weeding ring, no idea why his adult family situation, which is only hinted at, is brought up. Inspiration from his daughter? But it was a very small part and superfluous at the end. Perhaps it was to get a screen appearance for Ms Wright, who appears to be out to do a cameo in every movie possible. So just some flashbacks on Mr Beane but no detail. The entire movie is in as few words as possible telling everyone they're doing it his way. Some good scenes while he is doing some trades, some good dialogue with Mr Hill, but overall an average performance in an average movie. If it was not "based" on a true story, it would not have been made. And with the usual disclaimer (some "stuff" was made up) who knows if it actually went down like that. It's almost worth seeing (C+). Expand
  14. Jan 10, 2012
    Maybe its me...but Golden Globe worthy? Please! It was charming at best. Being a baseball fan...I connected a little closer to the business and respected the bittersweet side of the sport. It was incredibly well written but toned down for a docu-drama style direction film. Scientific baseball theory exposé film.
  15. Jan 11, 2012
    It was an average picture with a couple of solid acting performances that made the movie more engaging than the story itself. The movie, like the book, pulled out facts that made the premise of Moneyball more believable. As a baseball fan and one who followed the A's that season it was more than just numbers that made them the team they were. Many forget they had young talent at keyIt was an average picture with a couple of solid acting performances that made the movie more engaging than the story itself. The movie, like the book, pulled out facts that made the premise of Moneyball more believable. As a baseball fan and one who followed the A's that season it was more than just numbers that made them the team they were. Many forget they had young talent at key positions that went on to make tons of money and eventually the whole Money ball system came crashing down. Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I recently saw the movie. I have to say that I have no idea about baseball so I didn't find something catchy. For me I would say that it is a boring movie and it doesn't make clear some things like the feelings of Billy Beane. For example in the scene where he yells at the players after beating. It's not a strong emotionally and doesn't affect anyone. Also I believe Jonah Hill didn't match with this role. He does support the yela graduate but can't stand next to Beane as a personal supporter and assistant Maybe this movie is based on feelings thoughts expressions and the game generally, I didn't make me love baseball Expand
  17. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm rather surprised at the positive reviews of this film. On the basic technical measures it's fine, but I don't think most viewers quite comprehend the underlying message.

Prior to the Moneyball formula of player-picking, recruiters and scouts definitely knew that statistics played a role, but Moneyball made it all about the formula. It reduced big sports to nothing but a soulless math problem.
    The economic evolution of sports likely made that an eventual inevitability, but I don't see it as a reason to celebrate in the form of a movie, at least, not one with an uplifting feel.
  18. Dec 28, 2014
    Moneyball es una película sobre deportes que trata de ingeniárselas para ser atractiva, pero lamentablemente no logra llegar a ese objetivo deseado.

Esta película nos cuenta una historia de la vida real que, bueno, resulta inteligente a la hora de lidiar con los inconvenientes que ocurren en su atmósfera problemática, pero, no logra resultar cautivante o, de cierta forma, conmovedora en el punto en el que el film se inclinó, además, este largometraje puede resultar en varias ocasiones fastidioso, y eso obviamente no es lo que se busca cuando vas a ver una película que trata sobre un tema deportivo (o quizá cualquier otro tema). En fin, nos encontramos con un largometraje que plantea una idea inteligente, pero que no logra desarrollarla de una forma atrapante o notablemente perceptible en la mayor parte del tiempo.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 21, 2011
    You don't need to understand anything of baseball to get behind this, a chest-swelling story about second chances and flipping a finger up (even a giant foam one) to The Man.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 26, 2011
    Statistics and their alleged true meaning are at the heart of Moneyball, but it's also one of the most soulful of baseball movies - it confronts the anguish of a tough game.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Sep 23, 2011
    Moneyball presents a misleading story line in order to prop up Billy Beane as some kind of would-be miracle worker antihero. In truth, he's just another tobacco-chewing go-getter trying to make sense of a game that, thankfully, has never quite made sense.