8.0

1. Apr 22, 2014
    A great sports movie. One of the best sports movies I have ever watched. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great and have great chemistry together in this movie. I am a huge baseball fan so I enjoyed this movie even more than some people would but even if your not a baseball fan you can still enjoy this movie because of the great script and acting. It had a good happy ending which I really enjoyed and added to my overall experience of this movie. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    Moneyball is a great film about baseball, but this film takes a fresh angle on the sport. Instead of doing the cliché sports movie about an underdog team that wins the championship with hard work and perseverance, Moneyball looks at the money and deals side of America's favorite pastime. This gives the movie energy and charisma that makes the film exhilarating to watch.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    OH MY GOODNESS! What a performance, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt, you literally couldn’t take your eyes off of them, and not because they take up most of the screen time. Brad Pitt delivers his usual sensational performance, and completely deserves his Oscar nomination for this role. Jonah Hill lived up to my expectation, which pleasantly surprised me as I honestly thought he would just suddenly become the kid from Superbad, (don’t get me wrong I loved Superbad but just it obviously wouldn’t suit this film) Hill really pulled out all the stops for this role and I would of given him the Oscar.

The simple story of Billy Beane and the trust he puts into Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) and their story of seeking out this baseball ‘outcasts’, and putting together an extraordinary team, is surprising rich and easy to grasp. Supported with a strong screenplay really adds to the intensity of the film.

I really enjoyed the use of archive footage in the film which when put together with the shots of the actors worked really well, and gave the story that extra ump-ff to remind you that this is a true story and this actually happened. Also the attention to detail in this film was superb, the costumes were made to preciously resemble all of the uniforms of the baseball teams which the Oakland A’s took on during the 2002 baseball season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience I felt by watching this film.

In hindsight I will admit this is not a film which will grab you unless your in the mood for it, it’s not a film that will grab you by the throat and scream at you to enjoy it, it’s not Die Hard. It’s a beautifully crafted masterpiece which creates an emotional connection with you (if you’re in the right mood) and really sticks with you your feelings towards the characters after the film has finished. This is definitely a film I would watch again and would recommend to anybody.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Being a South African, I am not experienced with the sport of baseball and it`s history. This disadvantage did not stop me from enjoying such a superb film. One of the...actually, the best film of 2011. Compared to other let downs such as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, the mediocre War Horse, The Descendants and Hugo(did not really captivate me), Moneyball strikes for a home run and results in heading out of the park. Brad Pit shines as Billy Beane, the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics, and the supporting cast including Jonah Hill are exemplary. Aaron Sorkin and Steve Zallian`s screenplay is quirky as ever. The cinematography, by Wally Pftser, is a feast for the eyes. All these contributions are why I love movies. Definitely a memorable movie. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm rather surprised at the positive reviews of this film. On the basic technical measures it's fine, but I don't think most viewers quite comprehend the underlying message.

Prior to the Moneyball formula of player-picking, recruiters and scouts definitely knew that statistics played a role, but Moneyball made it all about the formula. It reduced big sports to nothing but a soulless
    math problem.
    The economic evolution of sports likely made that an eventual inevitability, but I don't see it as a reason to celebrate in the form of a movie, at least, not one with an uplifting feel.
  6. Jun 2, 2013
    Anyone who loves baseball and especially statistics will love this film. Sure it fails to mention that the A's had some of the best starting pitching, but it doesn't stop you from enjoying this film.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    My knowledge of baseball is very limited (my choice of US sports is football), thankfully however this didn't limit my enjoyment of Moneyball (even if I did have to Google 'on-base percentage', but I got the gist of it). At its heart, the film is a real life underdog story revolving around Billy Beane's unshirking determination and belief in Peter Brand's methods, in the face of extreme consternation and criticism. Moneyball's script was co-written by Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) and Steven Zaillian (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and the result is a clever and witty narrative that delivers some amusing scenes, usually involving Jonah Hill's shy and uncomfortable Assistant GM Brand. Hill himself is a revelation (Academy nominated for Supporting Actor) in a straight role, playing against his norm yet still being responsible for most of the film's light hearted moments. It seems a shame he even considered starring in The Sitter after this performance. Brad Pitt is another who stands out with an admirable performance as the main character, embodying just the right amount of likeability, softly spoken confidence and self-belief, without crossing into meglomaniac territory, despite practically shutting down his scouting department. When considering the three leading names, Philip Seymour Hoffman seems to be underused as Coach Art Howe, mostly seen standing around in disbelief as his team is dismantled. I would have liked to have seen more of him, given what the man can really bring to a role.

A really enjoyable sports underdog story, and not just for baseball fans.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    Moneyball is an elegant Brad Pitt movie, it thrives by its emotional sequences and does entertain throughout its two hours. The Businessman Mad Men type was depicted well. Also some epic in- your- face- scenes. MoneyBall is a winner.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    If you're not a baseball fan, you're going to find Moneyball boring and a little bit confusing. I am an avid baseball fan and saw this film about the inner working of the front office to be extremely interesting and just plain awesome. The Oakland Athletics are a small market team and can't afford to put a hundred and fifty million dollar team of stars on the field every years, so how can they possibly compete? It's a problem faced by almost half the teams in Major League Baseball, while teams the Yankees and Red Sox win year after year, teams like Royals haven't made the playoffs in twenty-five years! In sports, if you can't win, you can't draw fans and make a profit, so when you can't afford a winning team, you were just screwed, until Moneyball. Based on the true story of Oakland Athletics General Manager, Billy Beane, the film follows his creation of a system to judge players on more than just the basic scouting and numbers that have been used for a hundred years. Using this system, Beane and others who followed, have been able to compete with much lower payrolls, changing the face of Baseball. Brad Pitt is terrific as Beane and most definitely earned his Oscar nominations, but where did Jonah Hill's come from? I love Jonah Hill, but his character was as generic and boring as they come. In Moneyball, Hill plays Brad Pitt's sidekick, and is nothing more than a boring statistician, I've seen B-Movie performances that upstaged his in this film! If you love sports and want to know more about the behind the scenes aspect of it, Moneyball is a terrific film to use, but if you're not much of a fan and don't really care about sports, that you will just find this film boring. It's geared to a very specific type of moviegoer and if you're not into sports, you won't be into Moneyball. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    Moneyball was an exceptional movie and one of the best sports movies in recent years. Brad Pitt's supreme acting ability carries this film but the plot is also very interesting. Being a sports fan, I was familiar with most of the content in the film but what was most interesting, to me at least, was seeing how wrong so many "experts" were and how people refuse to learn from their prior mistakes. Look across the professional sports world and you still see people making the same mistakes that Billy Beane fought against a little over a decade ago. Nonetheless, the movie, though long, was not boring at all and I think most people would enjoy watching it, even those who are not baseball fans. Ultimately I think that's something unique about this film. Yes, it is a sports movie but it isn't necessarily about the sport of baseball but rather one person's fight against the prehistoric culture of baseball. That journey, and how well Bennett Miller directed the movie, is what is truly worth watching. RIP fat Jonah Hill... you will be missed. Expand
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    Really good film! Perhaps a bit overrated, but it does feature a brilliant script from Aaron Sorkin, and solid performances all around, especially from Brad Pitt.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    A sharp script, a virtuous performance from Brad Pitt, and a solid directorial effort from Bennett Miller make "Moneyball" a definite winner.
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    A well acted sports drama. Moneyball takes a new approach to the genre in that it focuses on creating good dialogue and an interesting plot rather than winning its audience over with a sappy comeback story.
  14. Oct 20, 2012
    I know absolutely nothing about baseball but Moneyball was an entertaining movie. Pitt and Hoffman are excellent and it's always a pleasure to see someone sticking it to the man. Moneyball is fun but unessential viewing.
  15. Oct 20, 2012
    Searching for a soul in the baseball community to some is like searching for steak at McDonalds. This movie succeeds in intertwining a history lesson with the common man who just happens to be uncommon. With its subtleties and non-flashy performances, "Moneyball" is able to let shine what truly is important to itself -- telling the honest story of one man who shattered the stereotypes of Major League Baseball. Expand
  16. Sep 9, 2012
    Quite a slow pace to this one gives the audience time to get to know the major players and figure out just what Beane and Brand are doing. To me, the fact they didn
  17. Aug 10, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin once again takes a subject (baseball upper management) that should not be exciting, and makes it thrilling. Both a hilarious and interesting look at what goes on behind the scenes in the world of baseball.
  18. Aug 3, 2012
    A film about the link between sport and mathematics really shouldn't be this entertaining. Through a combination of great acting, a clever script and sheer energy, Moneyball is certainly up there with the top sports movies. It questions the very foundations of, and morality behind big-money US sports, and how shallow and mercenary they have become over the years. Brad Pitt is simply spellbinding as the ambitious but troubled and volatile baseball team manager Billy Beane, and Jonah Hill leaves his Superbad days long behind him with a mature and effortlessly natural performance as Peter Brand, an economics graduate who impresses Beane with his knowledge of baseball statistics and is hired to be the brains behind the Oakland Athletics. As the most memorable sport films tend to be, Moneyball is a good old-fashioned underdog story based on a series of truly remarkable real events. The only thing I question about the film is the need to fall back on tried and tested sports movie cliches for the finale - slow-motion, muffled sound, you name it it's in there, and it somewhat undermines the whole show. Some aspects of the film's plot can also be difficult to follow if you're unfamiliar with baseball, but it would be unfair to mark a film down harshly for a lack of viewer knowledge. These are very minor gripes in the grand scheme of things, and Moneyball is still a compelling viewing experience, and for the most part, a refreshingly different take on a sports movie. Expand
  19. Jun 26, 2012
    Moneyball is a wonderful movie: Brad Pitt gets up from only the total level of acting. A movie to watch, even for someone like me, knows nothing (or almost) about baseball.
  20. Jun 22, 2012
    I was somewhat bored during this film, maybe it was because I don't like baseball and its string-pullers. However, I still enjoyed everything this well written movie offered. And Pitt's acting is great.
  21. Jun 1, 2012
    Written by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, it's not The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or The Social Network. But director Bennett Miller along with Brad Pitt take a serious subject with beautiful shot turn it into touching potrait of baseball lore. Damn! I couldn't stop singing Lenka's song now.
  22. May 25, 2012
    Overall, "Moneyball" is okay. Itâ
  23. Apr 24, 2012
    MONEYBALL is one of the greatest movies of our time. Billy Beane (played by a flawless Brad Pitt) is the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics who must put together a winning baseball team with an extremely tight budget (nearly a third of the Yankees'). With the help of a brilliant Yale graduate (Jonah Hill in an Academy-Award-Nominated role), Beane begins to manipulate the economics of baseball in his favor in one of the best underdog stories of all time. Expand
  24. Apr 21, 2012
    Very entertaining movie in every way. I never thought stats could be that exciting but Moneyball proved me wrong. Brad Pitt is brilliant and so long fat Jonah Hill, you will be missed.
  25. Apr 5, 2012
    Google Maps (formerly Google Local) is a webGoogle Maps mapping service application and technology provided by Google, that powers many map-based services, including the website, Google Ride Finder, Google Transit,[1] and maps embedded on third-party websites via the Google Maps API.[2] It offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike (beta), kayak,[3] or public transport and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world. Google Maps satellite images are not updated in real time; they are several months or years old.
    Google Maps uses a close variant of the Mercator projection, so it cannot show areas around the poles. A related product is Google Earth, a stand-alone program which offers more globe-viewing features, including showing polar areas.
  26. Mar 26, 2012
    I was not too thrilled initially going into this film, but by the end it came out one of the finest movie achievements of the year. A strong supported cast carried this excellently written script. It was fast paced and kept my attention. This movie was a home-run.
  27. Mar 26, 2012
    The basic movie is about how winning isnâ
  28. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10. It's funny and sad at times but acting outstanding, story is remarkable, and just a great sports film. One of the best. If your a sports fan, then this is for you.
  29. Mar 24, 2012
    Moneyball is more of a baseball film. it is an incredible story of where baseball was in the early 21th century. it layed the ground work of the way modern day baseball works. i am a hugh baseball fan and this movie with its fantastic acting and great editing hit every mark exactly of what makes a great film and made me love baseball even more.â
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    Thought it was a really excellent movie with an awesome ending. I saw it with two non-baseball fans and they enjoyed it as well. My two problems were that they changed it a little from the book/real life and the cinematography was annoying at points (zooming in computer screens and player statistics?)

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 21, 2011
    You don't need to understand anything of baseball to get behind this, a chest-swelling story about second chances and flipping a finger up (even a giant foam one) to The Man.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 26, 2011
    Statistics and their alleged true meaning are at the heart of Moneyball, but it's also one of the most soulful of baseball movies - it confronts the anguish of a tough game.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Sep 23, 2011
    Moneyball presents a misleading story line in order to prop up Billy Beane as some kind of would-be miracle worker antihero. In truth, he's just another tobacco-chewing go-getter trying to make sense of a game that, thankfully, has never quite made sense.