7.9

1. Dec 30, 2011
    great film. when i think about it i really can't find anything i didnt like about it. the acting was great, there was no overacting from anyone. the writing was great, i kept me interested in baseball (which is pretty rare). and really great score, real emotion. definitely one of the best film of the year. i would recommend it, the only thing is that it is slowly paced (i didnt mind, but igreat film. when i think about it i really can't find anything i didnt like about it. the acting was great, there was no overacting from anyone. the writing was great, i kept me interested in baseball (which is pretty rare). and really great score, real emotion. definitely one of the best film of the year. i would recommend it, the only thing is that it is slowly paced (i didnt mind, but i know some people do) Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2011
    As a relative newcomer to the love of baseball I was really looking forward to this film. It delivered plenty of runs and hits for two hours of error free baseball movie. I've heard it wasn't letter perfect to history but since I didn't know the story going in any discrepancies or liberties taken were lost on me. The tension was palpable just like a good pitchers dual.
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    The movie was entertaining and thought provoking. Acting was great. Screenplay was great. Soundtrack was great. I liked it. What more can you ask for?
  4. Dec 18, 2011
    All I can say is : wow. This is a genuinely good movie. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I still liked it. If you're a sports fan (any sport), I'm pretty sure you will appreciate it as much as I did. I loved the fact that they brought up mathematics into baseball. That was cool to watch. '' Moneyball '' is one of the best movie that I've seen in a long time. We usually don't see a lotAll I can say is : wow. This is a genuinely good movie. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I still liked it. If you're a sports fan (any sport), I'm pretty sure you will appreciate it as much as I did. I loved the fact that they brought up mathematics into baseball. That was cool to watch. '' Moneyball '' is one of the best movie that I've seen in a long time. We usually don't see a lot of '' drama '' sports movies. This is the one that we have been waiting for. It's got great acting (Jonah Hill proved that he could play in serious movies), amazing cinematography, good script and great music and ambiance. I'm glad that they showed situations between the general manager and the players about drafting and trading. There were also emotional parts, which was perfect. I just want to specified that the movie did one mistake. In one scene, Casey Beane (played by Kerris Dorsey) sang a song to her dad (Billy Beane, played by Brad Pitt). The song was called '' The show '', by Lenka. It was released in 2008, but in the movie, the story takes place in 2002. So it's impossible for the girl to sing it. Anyway, it's definitely gonna get nominated for an Oscar. It's a must see ! Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2012
    Simply put: The best baseball film ever made. There are a few scenes in this film that only someone who has played the game for years could depict. This film is realistic, yet very "meta." A fantastic film, and the best baseball film ever made IMO.
  6. Sep 27, 2011
    Finally a heartwarming and inspiring sports film NOT entirely focused on the team, and not about a championship run or world series i should say. Im not too familiar on the story though, im more of a basketball fan but i enjoy baseball all the same. But this movie was damn good, knowing the story or not. It was filled with witty dialogue, emotion, and an amazing writing job which wasFinally a heartwarming and inspiring sports film NOT entirely focused on the team, and not about a championship run or world series i should say. Im not too familiar on the story though, im more of a basketball fan but i enjoy baseball all the same. But this movie was damn good, knowing the story or not. It was filled with witty dialogue, emotion, and an amazing writing job which was expected considering it was written by aaron sorkin (the social network) and the writer of the schindlers list. This movie overall was just plain great. Its amazing how good of a movie they made out of such a flat subject. Moneyball is a movie for the ages, definitely my pick for best movie of 2011. Brad Pitt was hilarious, and he did a award deserving performance in showing us who Billy Beane truly is, a great guy whose struggled through some big hardships, just trying to win some baseball games the right way. Whether you have a major love for the game of baseball or if you absolutely hate it, you will love this movie. Its not focusing on the game of baseball specifically, its focusing mostly on Billy Beanes story which is inspiring, and also about the tough world of business. Brad Pitt will definitely be nominated for an academy award, either for this or the tree of life, and Moneyball is more than deserving of a best picture nomination and potentially a win. Go see this movie now, youll love it, and youll learn to love and earn much respect for Billy Beane. A film for the ages, 10/10 definitely. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2011
    A sport's movie that does not follow the cliche of other sport's movies. Easily the best movie of the year. You don't need to love sports to like this movie. Great performance great script great movie!
  8. CRL
    Oct 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movies are generally unexciting when the watcher knows the ending, not to mention most of the movie's major events. Moneyball manages to surpass that and turns itself into the rarest kind of drama: a true story that manages to drum up more tension, suspense, emotion, and power than one can get from pure fiction. The pacing is perfect, the plot incredible dramatic for a true story, and though it's a story of statistics and sabermetrics, Moneyball is incredibly passionate about the game at its core. Brat Pitt is excellent as Billy Beane, giving at times a beautifully reserved and nuanced performance while at others blasting out raw emotion by throwing chairs, desks, and Gatorade coolers across a room. And Jonah Hill, a name mostly unheard outside of comedies, showed his dramatic abilities while still managing to expertly pull out laughs whenever he could. And the final ten minutes of the film, after the climax had passed, the action had ended, and the Athletics had lost, are probably some of the most underscored yet emotionally forceful moments of the film. I don't go to the theater much anymore; the prices are just too high. I only really go when I'm sure what I'm about to see is worth the money. And Moneyball did not disappoint. Expand
  9. Jan 31, 2012
    Incredibly well-written script. Another good performance by Brad Pitt and good supporting efforts by Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think that the length was perfect and the resolution was satisfying. Deserves the nomination. (A)
  10. Nov 6, 2011
    Read my full review at: http://themuddoctor.blogspot.com/2011/11/moneyball.html
    Bennett Millerâ
  11. Oct 21, 2011
    See-it - Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's, in not only one of the best sports movies ever made, but also one of the best films of the year. Don't miss this smart, funny, well-written and well-acted film just because it's about baseball -- because the Academy sure won't.
  12. Sep 24, 2011
    This is a good movie. Its interesting - Brad is very convincing. Of course, you know the method will work - otherwise there would be no movie but you still care about what happens and how. The critics finally got it right. Great acting all round.
  13. Feb 4, 2012
    Great film, loads of expectation. Too much technical for non-US baseball fans, but still comprehensive. I would have known about baseball a little bit more to understand what they were talking about and if it was interesting enough. Pitt never fails.
  14. Oct 14, 2011
    A different type of movie, but great for anyone who has any interest in sports or statistics, didn't over dramatize the story, very well done. Great acting, a must watch for any Bay Area native or sports enthusiast
  15. Nov 4, 2011
    we cant tell this is a great film.....but there is some reality in this film and in case of brad he acted well....
    Director should expect Oscar nominations: Best Cinematography, maybe even Best Picture. Who Knows?Well what can i say?
  16. Nov 10, 2011
    I absolutely loved this movie, as a fan of baseball, I can appreciate this movie. I get the point of this movie when mos people don't. You have to like baseball though. The feel of the movie had it down pact. The actors did their part so well that you could tell the distress and the sense of urgency that they needed when the going got rough. Brad Pitt continues to impress with perfectI absolutely loved this movie, as a fan of baseball, I can appreciate this movie. I get the point of this movie when mos people don't. You have to like baseball though. The feel of the movie had it down pact. The actors did their part so well that you could tell the distress and the sense of urgency that they needed when the going got rough. Brad Pitt continues to impress with perfect emotion, as well as Jonah Hill making good work of his supporting actor role. Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2011
    THIS IS THE **** Movie EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Nov 16, 2011
    I would have never imagined a movie whose focus is the dialogue would be so great. Writers and screenplay directors here are geniuses. Pacing is great, ending is great!
  19. Dec 29, 2011
    You'll miss one of this year's best if you won't watch this movie. Some say this is only for baseball fans? Or only for guys? I don't think so. I think the appeal is universal. It touches the soul. Brad Pitt is surely a lock for a Best Actor nomination at the 2012 Oscars for his double-edged character. Jonah Hill is nomination-worthy. By the way, if my recollection is correct, you won'tYou'll miss one of this year's best if you won't watch this movie. Some say this is only for baseball fans? Or only for guys? I don't think so. I think the appeal is universal. It touches the soul. Brad Pitt is surely a lock for a Best Actor nomination at the 2012 Oscars for his double-edged character. Jonah Hill is nomination-worthy. By the way, if my recollection is correct, you won't see Phillip Seymour Hoffman having a cigarette here. movienotesbook.blogspot.com Expand
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    I am an MLB fanatic and this is one of the best baseball movies to ever be put into Hollywood. The actors resemble the real life characters almost to a T with the exception of Jonah Hill. There is something for everyone in this movie. Billy Beane is still the GM of the Oakland A's. What a guy.
  21. Dec 26, 2011
    Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt hit a home run with their performances in Moneyball, a great baseball story with heart. Moneyball is about the troubled life of Billy Beane, the coach of the Oakland A's. heartwarming and thoughtful, Moneyball is the baseball film of the decade. Oscar or Not? Oscar: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay
  22. Jan 10, 2012
    The movie could have ended on a more subtle note, but this is one of the very best films of the year. brad pitt (with The Tree of Life) proved to be THE actor of the year. The editing is PERFECT and ofcourse a screenplay with Steve Zaillan and Aaron Sorkin as the writers will be great. I hope Bennett Miller does not wait 6 years for his next film! This is how mainstream Hollywood producedThe movie could have ended on a more subtle note, but this is one of the very best films of the year. brad pitt (with The Tree of Life) proved to be THE actor of the year. The editing is PERFECT and ofcourse a screenplay with Steve Zaillan and Aaron Sorkin as the writers will be great. I hope Bennett Miller does not wait 6 years for his next film! This is how mainstream Hollywood produced films should ALWAYS be, it is said we live in a time where this is considered a masterpiece.(But it really is great though) Expand
  23. JYT
    Jan 21, 2012
    Excellent and capital movie. The movie is about baseball but also about the right and fair evaluation of performance and individuals. This means looking at FACTS as best as you can. This is valid for sports, your job, you car insurance, your mortgage, etc...A movie those rating agency, presidential candidates, stock traders who only act on rumours should obviously watch. A must see movieExcellent and capital movie. The movie is about baseball but also about the right and fair evaluation of performance and individuals. This means looking at FACTS as best as you can. This is valid for sports, your job, you car insurance, your mortgage, etc...A movie those rating agency, presidential candidates, stock traders who only act on rumours should obviously watch. A must see movie for the credit crunch generation. Expand
  24. Jan 22, 2012
    My favorite film of the year. Brad Pitt does and outstanding job bringing Billy to life. Movie is a great mix of drama, laughter, and concepts that make you think about other areas of life. Brings a turning point in baseball culture to the big screen, and educates even people that thought they new the details behind the strong move to statistics.
  25. Feb 17, 2012
    Everything from the writing, to the direction, to the engaging performances on offer, to the subtle yet captivating score, leaves Moneyball as one of the best films of the year. A picture that can capture your heart and imagination when itâ
  26. Feb 20, 2015
    Moneyball is tells the story of the A's perfectly through an outstanding screenplay and terrific scenes. What carries the film the most is the Brad Pitt's performance which happens to be the finest of his career. Moneyball didn't hit a homerun, it hit a grand slam.
  27. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10. It's funny and sad at times but acting outstanding, story is remarkable, and just a great sports film. One of the best. If your a sports fan, then this is for you.
  28. Apr 5, 2012
    Google Maps (formerly Google Local) is a webGoogle Maps mapping service application and technology provided by Google, that powers many map-based services, including the website, Google Ride Finder, Google Transit,[1] and maps embedded on third-party websites via the Google Maps API.[2] It offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike (beta), kayak,[3] or publicGoogle Maps (formerly Google Local) is a webGoogle Maps mapping service application and technology provided by Google, that powers many map-based services, including the website, Google Ride Finder, Google Transit,[1] and maps embedded on third-party websites via the Google Maps API.[2] It offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike (beta), kayak,[3] or public transport and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world. Google Maps satellite images are not updated in real time; they are several months or years old.
    Google Maps uses a close variant of the Mercator projection, so it cannot show areas around the poles. A related product is Google Earth, a stand-alone program which offers more globe-viewing features, including showing polar areas.
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    Moneyball is an elegant Brad Pitt movie, it thrives by its emotional sequences and does entertain throughout its two hours. The Businessman Mad Men type was depicted well. Also some epic in- your- face- scenes. MoneyBall is a winner.
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    Being a South African, I am not experienced with the sport of baseball and it`s history. This disadvantage did not stop me from enjoying such a superb film. One of the...actually, the best film of 2011. Compared to other let downs such as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, the mediocre War Horse, The Descendants and Hugo(did not really captivate me), Moneyball strikes for a home run andBeing a South African, I am not experienced with the sport of baseball and it`s history. This disadvantage did not stop me from enjoying such a superb film. One of the...actually, the best film of 2011. Compared to other let downs such as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, the mediocre War Horse, The Descendants and Hugo(did not really captivate me), Moneyball strikes for a home run and results in heading out of the park. Brad Pit shines as Billy Beane, the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics, and the supporting cast including Jonah Hill are exemplary. Aaron Sorkin and Steve Zallian`s screenplay is quirky as ever. The cinematography, by Wally Pftser, is a feast for the eyes. All these contributions are why I love movies. Definitely a memorable movie. Expand
  31. Aug 19, 2013
    OH MY GOODNESS! What a performance, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt, you literally couldn’t take your eyes off of them, and not because they take up most of the screen time. Brad Pitt delivers his usual sensational performance, and completely deserves his Oscar nomination for this role. Jonah Hill lived up to my expectation, which pleasantly surprised me as I honestly thought he would justOH MY GOODNESS! What a performance, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt, you literally couldn’t take your eyes off of them, and not because they take up most of the screen time. Brad Pitt delivers his usual sensational performance, and completely deserves his Oscar nomination for this role. Jonah Hill lived up to my expectation, which pleasantly surprised me as I honestly thought he would just suddenly become the kid from Superbad, (don’t get me wrong I loved Superbad but just it obviously wouldn’t suit this film) Hill really pulled out all the stops for this role and I would of given him the Oscar.

The simple story of Billy Beane and the trust he puts into Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) and their story of seeking out this baseball ‘outcasts’, and putting together an extraordinary team, is surprising rich and easy to grasp. Supported with a strong screenplay really adds to the intensity of the film.

I really enjoyed the use of archive footage in the film which when put together with the shots of the actors worked really well, and gave the story that extra ump-ff to remind you that this is a true story and this actually happened. Also the attention to detail in this film was superb, the costumes were made to preciously resemble all of the uniforms of the baseball teams which the Oakland A’s took on during the 2002 baseball season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience I felt by watching this film.

In hindsight I will admit this is not a film which will grab you unless your in the mood for it, it’s not a film that will grab you by the throat and scream at you to enjoy it, it’s not Die Hard. It’s a beautifully crafted masterpiece which creates an emotional connection with you (if you’re in the right mood) and really sticks with you your feelings towards the characters after the film has finished. This is definitely a film I would watch again and would recommend to anybody.
  32. Jan 26, 2015
    Though in the future it may not be on any best ever movie lists, that may well be what it deserves. Moneyball is a movie like few others. Though not a noticeably original story on the outside, Moneyball is actually a fresh, original, and perfectly well done movie like few other. The story follows the Oakland a's through their 2002 come from behind season, as their GM Billy Beane (BradThough in the future it may not be on any best ever movie lists, that may well be what it deserves. Moneyball is a movie like few others. Though not a noticeably original story on the outside, Moneyball is actually a fresh, original, and perfectly well done movie like few other. The story follows the Oakland a's through their 2002 come from behind season, as their GM Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) and his new assistant (Jonah Hill) try to revolutionize the way baseball teams are scouted and put together, based on a new statistical theory of looking at baseball. Having to fight their own scouts and everyone in baseball who believe them to be wrong, they attempt to build a small market baseball team that can compete with the likes of the big budget Yankees. Propelled by great performances by Pitt and Jonah Hill, this heartfelt movie does a beautiful job of crafting a thoroughly dramatic and captivating baseball story, and blending it with intelligent humor and look ins at the business of baseball. Never a dull moment to spare, this movie had it all and followed through with immense skill on everything. A future hall of famer. Expand
  33. Sep 24, 2011
    I'm not sure that this is a GREAT film, but it is certainly emotionally involving to this AL West (and Halos) fan who followed that 2002 season extremely closely for obvious reasons. The writers and director made and extremely affecting film out of what could have been a dry subject. I'm left wondering why the heck Paul DiPodesta didn't want his name associated with the film. JonahI'm not sure that this is a GREAT film, but it is certainly emotionally involving to this AL West (and Halos) fan who followed that 2002 season extremely closely for obvious reasons. The writers and director made and extremely affecting film out of what could have been a dry subject. I'm left wondering why the heck Paul DiPodesta didn't want his name associated with the film. Jonah Hill came off as extremely likable. And Beane has to be happy with the Pitt treatment. Great choice in casting Activision CEO Bobby Kotick as the A's owner. I think he nailed the guy. Expand
  34. Jun 26, 2012
    Moneyball is a wonderful movie: Brad Pitt gets up from only the total level of acting. A movie to watch, even for someone like me, knows nothing (or almost) about baseball.
  35. Oct 27, 2011
    While the book was made more dramatic for film and concentrated more on the relationship building of Billy Beane and a fictional account of his assistant, Paul DePodesta and others into a new composite character, Peter Brand, Moneyball hits every element of a good baseball movie where it should. Right in the heart. A key line in the film is, "It's hard not to be romantic about baseball."While the book was made more dramatic for film and concentrated more on the relationship building of Billy Beane and a fictional account of his assistant, Paul DePodesta and others into a new composite character, Peter Brand, Moneyball hits every element of a good baseball movie where it should. Right in the heart. A key line in the film is, "It's hard not to be romantic about baseball." Being a die-hard baseball fan, it's hard not only to not get romantic about baseball, but it's also hard not to be romantic about stories like this. While based on a true story, written by Michael Lewis to explain the sabermatic approach that Billy began taking with his previous GM (when he was an assistant), and continued on with Paul, the movie never mentioned the previous GM and began the story of using the sabermatic method after meeting the fictional Peter Brand, played by Jonah Hill. The acting is the best I've seen Brad Pitt do. He was a great fit for this role and I can see why he produced it. He must have thought the same thing. I've heard Oscar buzz about it, but I don't see it carrying that far. He certainly deserves it more than for the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Jonah Hill plays seemingly the same character he does in every movie, and does it well. And Philip Seymour Hoffman is perfect as a generic portrayal of uncooperative manager, Art Howe, a portrayal in the film and book that the real Art Howe has heavily criticized and blames Beane's disregard for him. Aaron Sorkin brings his skills as a co-writer of the screenplay to dramatize the story very well and make it palatable for non-sports fans, but for those die-hards like me, Moneyball hits all the right places. Expand
  36. Dec 17, 2011
    Im not a fan of baseball but this film was great to watch. the characters were compelling and the acting was solid. Recommended esp for sporty quant jocks.
  37. Feb 6, 2012
    Moneyball is an instant classic in the sports movie genre and deserves its academy nomination for best picture. Brad Pitt seems like he was born to play Billy Beane and Jonah Hill surprisingly plays his more reserved part well. The biggest fault of the movie is the real story, which forced the climax to be less climatic than it could have been. You do not have to be a baseball fan toMoneyball is an instant classic in the sports movie genre and deserves its academy nomination for best picture. Brad Pitt seems like he was born to play Billy Beane and Jonah Hill surprisingly plays his more reserved part well. The biggest fault of the movie is the real story, which forced the climax to be less climatic than it could have been. You do not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy this movie. Expand
  38. Jun 1, 2012
    Written by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, it's not The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or The Social Network. But director Bennett Miller along with Brad Pitt take a serious subject with beautiful shot turn it into touching potrait of baseball lore. Damn! I couldn't stop singing Lenka's song now.
  39. Sep 23, 2011
    "Moneyball" is excellent in that it has the excitement of sports but also explores fascinating dilemmas in life regarding failure and success, confronting the powers-that-be in an industry, and the excitement of a creative approach to achieving something seemingly impossible. It is witty, feels truthful, and well done in all departments. The cast is great. And for those of us who find"Moneyball" is excellent in that it has the excitement of sports but also explores fascinating dilemmas in life regarding failure and success, confronting the powers-that-be in an industry, and the excitement of a creative approach to achieving something seemingly impossible. It is witty, feels truthful, and well done in all departments. The cast is great. And for those of us who find math useful and exciting, well, itâ Expand
  40. Oct 5, 2011
    For once, the movie is better than the book. Much, much better! Brad Pitt (I'm not one of his fans) gives a performance worthy of an Oscar nomination. His portrayal of Billy Beane, the now famous General Manager of the Oakland A's gives life to a character than I found to be rather flat in the book of the same title. The supporting actors (except for Jonah Hill) are excellent andFor once, the movie is better than the book. Much, much better! Brad Pitt (I'm not one of his fans) gives a performance worthy of an Oscar nomination. His portrayal of Billy Beane, the now famous General Manager of the Oakland A's gives life to a character than I found to be rather flat in the book of the same title. The supporting actors (except for Jonah Hill) are excellent and surprisingly the best of the bunch is Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing manager Art Howe.

The divorced father-daughter relationship is played just right and I thought the "flashbacks" to Beane's youth and professional playing days were well done. More importantly, live action scenes were blended seamlessly with archive footage of actual events during the 2001 and 2002 baseball seasons. I'd rank this film in my top ten sports movies and in a flat footed tie with "The Natural" as my all time favorite baseball movie.
  41. j30
    Nov 13, 2011
    Pretty blown away by this movie. It connects with it's audience on an intellectual and emotional level. It's a movie you need to keep digging into it's depths and in turn, the film will dug into you. Brad Pitt stars in his best role since Babel and should be considered for an Oscar.
  42. Feb 9, 2012
    Undoubtedly an amazing film . I am not a fan of Sports-Drama film but Moneyball was just so freaking awesome . With a amazing script Bennett Miller showed exactly what I wanted to see . Brads acting was absolutely amazing . He did so good . Jonah Hill was good too and It really was his best . Everything in this movie tells that Therese so many ways to do things right . Even if u had toUndoubtedly an amazing film . I am not a fan of Sports-Drama film but Moneyball was just so freaking awesome . With a amazing script Bennett Miller showed exactly what I wanted to see . Brads acting was absolutely amazing . He did so good . Jonah Hill was good too and It really was his best . Everything in this movie tells that Therese so many ways to do things right . Even if u had to piss everyone else at the first time U should do thing right . Bennett Miller show once again that no matter how silent the movie is if u make it right then its gold ! Expand
  43. Nov 10, 2011
    The film is hard to describe. I think the best word is "great". It's not as good as Aaron Sorkin's last writing achievement, "The Social Network", but it still is a hilarious and shocking screenplay. Brad Pitt basically carries the film, with his wingman being Jonah Hill. The other cast members provide chuckles, and it's basically a great film from the writer of "Social Network" and theThe film is hard to describe. I think the best word is "great". It's not as good as Aaron Sorkin's last writing achievement, "The Social Network", but it still is a hilarious and shocking screenplay. Brad Pitt basically carries the film, with his wingman being Jonah Hill. The other cast members provide chuckles, and it's basically a great film from the writer of "Social Network" and the original writer of "The Blind Side". Oh, and for Brad-Pitt-Action-Star fans, he does throw chairs around. Expand
  44. Oct 15, 2011
    Despite my initial expectations for Moneyball, it, in the end, emerges as a triumphant and engaging film. This film has been getting Oscar buzz for the last couple of months because it is Aaron Sorkinâ
  45. Sep 26, 2011
    This movie was a great depiction of the overall change in management that occurred during the turn of the millenium. I enjoy the interactions and friendship that emerged between the main GM (Pitt) and his assistant.
  46. Sep 27, 2011
    Not a baseball fan in any way shape or form, but I read so many good reviews for this I thought I'd check it out. Ladies, if you're thinking you'll see it for Brad Pitt but totally be bored by the baseball stuff, you're wrong. They really made it interesting and I cared about all of the characters, not just Brad. LOVED the guy from Parks and Rec, he's totally hot.
  47. Oct 9, 2011
    Moneyball is a tale of a revolutionary system implemented in baseball in the early 2000's. Without it the BoSox wouldn't of overcome the curse that has been bestowed upon them since the early 1900s. Superstitious or not the fact is that Sabermetrics the focus of this story and takes the limelight of the screen and Pitt and Hill take to the mound and toss a gem of their own.
  48. Oct 13, 2011
    If you follow Major League Baseball at all then you know who the New York Yankees are. They are the best that money can buy and that is probably why you either love or hate them. The Yankees can afford anyone at any time because their pockets are deep and their budget is endless. But then there are teams like the Oakland Athletics, a much smaller and way cheaper team in the MLB. And theyIf you follow Major League Baseball at all then you know who the New York Yankees are. They are the best that money can buy and that is probably why you either love or hate them. The Yankees can afford anyone at any time because their pockets are deep and their budget is endless. But then there are teams like the Oakland Athletics, a much smaller and way cheaper team in the MLB. And they shouldnâ Expand
  49. Oct 17, 2011
    Going into Moneyball, I had heard nothing about the movie. I hadn't seen any trailers and had no idea it was even about baseball. In other words, I went in with a pretty open mind. When the movie started up I noticed that it had a very slow and mellow pace, and getting used to this was a bit of a problem, since most of the movies coming out these days are either horror movies or actionGoing into Moneyball, I had heard nothing about the movie. I hadn't seen any trailers and had no idea it was even about baseball. In other words, I went in with a pretty open mind. When the movie started up I noticed that it had a very slow and mellow pace, and getting used to this was a bit of a problem, since most of the movies coming out these days are either horror movies or action packed thrillers. Once I got used to the pace however, this movie just got better and better. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, and I'm not even a baseball fan. There's just something about how it all unfolds, and how the characters bounce of each other that left me speechless. This is a must see movie for anybody, it might just be the best one to come out for a long time. Expand
  50. JFK
    Nov 9, 2011
    I know little to nothing about baseball and was deeply moved by this film. This movie is, for me, about failure.

How to embrace the success that can come from lessons learned through failure?

Brad Pitt is on a roll of fine, strong performances and fills the space of Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
  51. Jan 20, 2012
    This is truly a remarkable film. Brad Pitt deserves an Oscar for his performance and the story was so charmingly real that it easily is one of the greatest films of the year.
  52. Mar 16, 2012
    Although we have seen the subject materiel before about a failing team trying to be good again, and you sit there and wait for the happy ending. Yet, this film is told so intelligently and it makes the film entertaining. The film is helped even more by the pair of winning and charming performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. I give this film 88%.
  53. Nov 28, 2011
    Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill fuel this incredibly acted, fun, feel-good baseball movie. Brad Pitt definitly deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his strong performance.
  54. Jan 14, 2012
    I am not a baseball fan but I find this film extremely fascinating and entertaining. I say credit to the screenwriter and the director. Statistics can be a boring subject but this film proves it wrong. I even have tears in my eyes when the underdog finally achieves something good. This film combines sports, statistics and drama perfectly. Brad Pitt gives an excellent quiet performance. TwoI am not a baseball fan but I find this film extremely fascinating and entertaining. I say credit to the screenwriter and the director. Statistics can be a boring subject but this film proves it wrong. I even have tears in my eyes when the underdog finally achieves something good. This film combines sports, statistics and drama perfectly. Brad Pitt gives an excellent quiet performance. Two big thumbs up! Expand
  55. Jan 8, 2012
    Based on a true story, Moneyball is a movie for anybody who has ever dreamed of taking on the system. Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The onetime jockBased on a true story, Moneyball is a movie for anybody who has ever dreamed of taking on the system. Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The onetime jock teams with Ivy League grad Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) in an unlikely partnership, recruiting bargain players that the scouts call flawed, but all of whom have an ability to get on base, score runs, and win games. It's more than baseball, it's a revolution - one that challenges old school traditions and puts Beane in the crosshairs of those who say he's tearing out the heart and soul of the game. Expand
  56. Dec 30, 2011
    A+. Remember the classical sport movies about overcoming one's problems with a happy end? Have you seen Jobs' speech at Stanford? Moneyball is both. It's a good movie about unorthodox thinking, opening oneself to the others and going against the odds. Maybe it's not fast-paced, but hey, we're talking about baseball, aren't we? Screenplay is good and convincing, but it's Pitt's performanceA+. Remember the classical sport movies about overcoming one's problems with a happy end? Have you seen Jobs' speech at Stanford? Moneyball is both. It's a good movie about unorthodox thinking, opening oneself to the others and going against the odds. Maybe it's not fast-paced, but hey, we're talking about baseball, aren't we? Screenplay is good and convincing, but it's Pitt's performance that is great. I hope for him to strike at least one home run by getting an Oscar nomination. Expand
  57. Jan 24, 2012
    As a Canadian born into hockey culture, i have never in my life truly known much about, or cared much about baseball. Moneyball didn't make me want to go out and watch a baseball game, and i'm glad it didn't. You don't have to know baseball to enjoy this film. It has heart, substance, great actors, and, probably the most rare amongst sports films, Accessibility. Definite recommendation toAs a Canadian born into hockey culture, i have never in my life truly known much about, or cared much about baseball. Moneyball didn't make me want to go out and watch a baseball game, and i'm glad it didn't. You don't have to know baseball to enjoy this film. It has heart, substance, great actors, and, probably the most rare amongst sports films, Accessibility. Definite recommendation to anyone in for a good (albeit rather long) ride. Expand
  58. Feb 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable baseball movie... perhaps the best serious film about the game ever made.

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill have great chemistry in their mentor/apprentice relationship. Who is the mentor and who is the apprentice goes back and forth depending on the subject matter. The opportunities for movie cliches are avoided at every turn... but then, this is a rendition of real life we're watching where the endings are never predictable.
  59. Apr 24, 2012
    MONEYBALL is one of the greatest movies of our time. Billy Beane (played by a flawless Brad Pitt) is the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics who must put together a winning baseball team with an extremely tight budget (nearly a third of the Yankees'). With the help of a brilliant Yale graduate (Jonah Hill in an Academy-Award-Nominated role), Beane begins to manipulate the economics ofMONEYBALL is one of the greatest movies of our time. Billy Beane (played by a flawless Brad Pitt) is the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics who must put together a winning baseball team with an extremely tight budget (nearly a third of the Yankees'). With the help of a brilliant Yale graduate (Jonah Hill in an Academy-Award-Nominated role), Beane begins to manipulate the economics of baseball in his favor in one of the best underdog stories of all time. Expand
  60. Mar 19, 2012
    Thought it was a really excellent movie with an awesome ending. I saw it with two non-baseball fans and they enjoyed it as well. My two problems were that they changed it a little from the book/real life and the cinematography was annoying at points (zooming in computer screens and player statistics?)
  61. Mar 26, 2012
    I was not too thrilled initially going into this film, but by the end it came out one of the finest movie achievements of the year. A strong supported cast carried this excellently written script. It was fast paced and kept my attention. This movie was a home-run.
  62. Mar 31, 2013
    My knowledge of baseball is very limited (my choice of US sports is football), thankfully however this didn't limit my enjoyment of Moneyball (even if I did have to Google 'on-base percentage', but I got the gist of it). At its heart, the film is a real life underdog story revolving around Billy Beane's unshirking determination and belief in Peter Brand's methods, in the face of extremeMy knowledge of baseball is very limited (my choice of US sports is football), thankfully however this didn't limit my enjoyment of Moneyball (even if I did have to Google 'on-base percentage', but I got the gist of it). At its heart, the film is a real life underdog story revolving around Billy Beane's unshirking determination and belief in Peter Brand's methods, in the face of extreme consternation and criticism. Moneyball's script was co-written by Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) and Steven Zaillian (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and the result is a clever and witty narrative that delivers some amusing scenes, usually involving Jonah Hill's shy and uncomfortable Assistant GM Brand. Hill himself is a revelation (Academy nominated for Supporting Actor) in a straight role, playing against his norm yet still being responsible for most of the film's light hearted moments. It seems a shame he even considered starring in The Sitter after this performance. Brad Pitt is another who stands out with an admirable performance as the main character, embodying just the right amount of likeability, softly spoken confidence and self-belief, without crossing into meglomaniac territory, despite practically shutting down his scouting department. When considering the three leading names, Philip Seymour Hoffman seems to be underused as Coach Art Howe, mostly seen standing around in disbelief as his team is dismantled. I would have liked to have seen more of him, given what the man can really bring to a role.

A really enjoyable sports underdog story, and not just for baseball fans.
  63. Aug 10, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin once again takes a subject (baseball upper management) that should not be exciting, and makes it thrilling. Both a hilarious and interesting look at what goes on behind the scenes in the world of baseball.
  64. Nov 28, 2012
    A sharp script, a virtuous performance from Brad Pitt, and a solid directorial effort from Bennett Miller make "Moneyball" a definite winner.
  65. Jun 2, 2013
    Anyone who loves baseball and especially statistics will love this film. Sure it fails to mention that the A's had some of the best starting pitching, but it doesn't stop you from enjoying this film.
  66. Feb 16, 2014
    Moneyball is a great film about baseball, but this film takes a fresh angle on the sport. Instead of doing the cliché sports movie about an underdog team that wins the championship with hard work and perseverance, Moneyball looks at the money and deals side of America's favorite pastime. This gives the movie energy and charisma that makes the film exhilarating to watch.
  67. Apr 22, 2014
    A great sports movie. One of the best sports movies I have ever watched. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great and have great chemistry together in this movie. I am a huge baseball fan so I enjoyed this movie even more than some people would but even if your not a baseball fan you can still enjoy this movie because of the great script and acting. It had a good happy ending which I reallyA great sports movie. One of the best sports movies I have ever watched. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great and have great chemistry together in this movie. I am a huge baseball fan so I enjoyed this movie even more than some people would but even if your not a baseball fan you can still enjoy this movie because of the great script and acting. It had a good happy ending which I really enjoyed and added to my overall experience of this movie. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2015
    Casey Beane: "Just enjoy the show". Moneyball is about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The director of this movie (Bennett Miller) who also did Capote and his upcoming movieCasey Beane: "Just enjoy the show". Moneyball is about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The director of this movie (Bennett Miller) who also did Capote and his upcoming movie called Foxcatcher. Well the director did more then a great job or a fantastic job, this guy is a master class of directing and I mean that a lot. Brad Pitt,Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman acting in the film was superb, the writing was well written and the characters actually feel like really people and not movie characters and you got to give the writers and the director respect for that. Am not going to give this movie a 5/5 star's because is this the movie that am going to watch over and over again, well no but I still enjoyed the show. Expand
  69. Feb 13, 2012
    Not so much a baseball movie as it is the age-old story of someone trying to fight the system/establishment. The acting was great-- but they could have easily left out the main character's family subplot.
  70. Oct 10, 2011
    Really enjoyed this movie. It was a sports movie, but not your typical formula. I thought it had a ton of references that only a hardcore baseball fan would understand, but saw the movie with someone who knows nothing about baseball and they still enjoyed it and got it. Really think Brad Pitt was perfect for this role. He's usually solid in everything, but this might be one of his bestReally enjoyed this movie. It was a sports movie, but not your typical formula. I thought it had a ton of references that only a hardcore baseball fan would understand, but saw the movie with someone who knows nothing about baseball and they still enjoyed it and got it. Really think Brad Pitt was perfect for this role. He's usually solid in everything, but this might be one of his best performances. Truly believed him as Billy Beane. Expand
  71. BKM
    Jan 21, 2012
    David doesn't slay Goliath in Moneyball, a smart and entertaining film about the business of baseball, but he finds a way to compete in a game that has an incredibly uneven playing field. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill turn in excellent performances in a film that serves as a stern reminder that there will always be small teams scraping to compete but that the big teams will always have theDavid doesn't slay Goliath in Moneyball, a smart and entertaining film about the business of baseball, but he finds a way to compete in a game that has an incredibly uneven playing field. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill turn in excellent performances in a film that serves as a stern reminder that there will always be small teams scraping to compete but that the big teams will always have the upper hand. The fact that this seemingly dull concept results in a deeply engaging and surprising moving film is one of the minor miracles of 2011. Expand
  72. Oct 7, 2011
    What a well-done, well-cast picture. Not about baseball per se but about the underside that we don't get to see. Brad Pitt was perfect in and for the role of Billy. Philip Seymour Hoffman again shows us why he the consummate actor. One distraction. I could not stop looking at a maturing Brad Pitt and seeing a younger Robert Redford. WOW. Facial expressions, cragginess at the eyes,What a well-done, well-cast picture. Not about baseball per se but about the underside that we don't get to see. Brad Pitt was perfect in and for the role of Billy. Philip Seymour Hoffman again shows us why he the consummate actor. One distraction. I could not stop looking at a maturing Brad Pitt and seeing a younger Robert Redford. WOW. Facial expressions, cragginess at the eyes, mannerisms, They need to do a picture as father-son. Expand
  73. Sep 30, 2011
    Very good movie about something that is very real about baseball. Professional baseball is different than any other sport, in the sense that some big market teams truly outspend the small market teams. The movie does a nice job in making this point. However, it grossly oversimplifies what Moneyball really is, it is not only looking at OBP (on base percentage), as the movie implies. ItVery good movie about something that is very real about baseball. Professional baseball is different than any other sport, in the sense that some big market teams truly outspend the small market teams. The movie does a nice job in making this point. However, it grossly oversimplifies what Moneyball really is, it is not only looking at OBP (on base percentage), as the movie implies. It is also a movie; it is not historically accurate in a number of ways. But neither of those flaws detract from the movie being enjoyable. Brad Pitt is fine playing a good looking ex-jock and Jonah Hill does a nice job playing a made up character (as the person who really was Beane's assistant refused to let his name be used, which led to Paul DePodesta's "role" being played as an overweight nerd). Phillip Seymour-Hoffman is perfect as manager Art Howe, who the movie vilifies (as it also does to scouts). Perhaps that dichotomy is the biggest weakness of an entertaining film: creating tension by making the good guys really good and their enemies seemingly (and at the same time) stupid, vicious and mean. But that's movies for you. Still an enjoyable film that is worth seeing. Expand
  74. Sep 9, 2012
    Quite a slow pace to this one gives the audience time to get to know the major players and figure out just what Beane and Brand are doing. To me, the fact they didn
  75. Dec 29, 2011
    This is the kind of movie that makes you search Google immediately, a rather interesting script with a direction that you do two hours fascinating. Pitt right in his role.
  76. Feb 19, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Maybe should have given it a nine. Not sure. But it's got great acting, a smart script, and it's telling a fascinating story. Not sure how this did in the box office, but it did well. It deserved to.
  77. Oct 15, 2011
    Enjoyable, behind-the-scenes look (even if slightly over dramatized) of the inner workings of a GM. As a baseball purist, I wasn't offended and that's tough to do when Hollywood takes the reigns. Pitt carries it. Amazing what happens when films focus on the character driving the plot and not vice versa.
  78. Oct 20, 2012
    Searching for a soul in the baseball community to some is like searching for steak at McDonalds. This movie succeeds in intertwining a history lesson with the common man who just happens to be uncommon. With its subtleties and non-flashy performances, "Moneyball" is able to let shine what truly is important to itself -- telling the honest story of one man who shattered the stereotypes ofSearching for a soul in the baseball community to some is like searching for steak at McDonalds. This movie succeeds in intertwining a history lesson with the common man who just happens to be uncommon. With its subtleties and non-flashy performances, "Moneyball" is able to let shine what truly is important to itself -- telling the honest story of one man who shattered the stereotypes of Major League Baseball. Expand
  79. Jan 11, 2012
    A good film......not a great film. Yes, it proves to be entertaining and interesting for those who are not huge fans of baseball and all it's tenured history. Pitt does another great job and Hill is really good as well. This is not a boring film by any stretch, and quite frankly I thought it would be. Its not and the dialogue is crisp and full of life and truth. It really does make youA good film......not a great film. Yes, it proves to be entertaining and interesting for those who are not huge fans of baseball and all it's tenured history. Pitt does another great job and Hill is really good as well. This is not a boring film by any stretch, and quite frankly I thought it would be. Its not and the dialogue is crisp and full of life and truth. It really does make you care for the on-screen struggles of these characters and it is enjoyable to watch, save for the downer ending....but hey! They can't argue with what actually happened, right? Expand
  80. Feb 5, 2012
    A+ for the message.
    A+ for a great underdog story.
    A+ for the cast. A for cinematography. A for the A's (da duh bump) B for airport scene. I am not a sports person, but I must say that I love sports movies. Moneyball is no exception. While it didn't have that extreme wow factor, it was still very inspiring, especially being a true story. I am a fan of history and learning about things;
    A+ for the message.
    A+ for a great underdog story.
    A+ for the cast.
    A for cinematography.
    A for the A's (da duh bump)
    B for airport scene.

I am not a sports person, but I must say that I love sports movies. Moneyball is no exception. While it didn't have that extreme wow factor, it was still very inspiring, especially being a true story. I am a fan of history and learning about things; it was nice to learn more about the Oakland A's.

What a spectacular message this movie delivers. There are a lot of nay sayers in life. It is important to be flexible, but generally we as people are creatures of habit. We say we embrace change but we don't really mean it. You really have to put your mind to it to genuinely be open to change. We see that true and true in the characters that Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill play. And, as we learn in movies like Blindside and Pursuit of Happyness, don't ever give up, don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't.

I love the plot. The dichotomy between flashbacks and present time. And family struggles, like Brad's character being divorced but still wearing his wedding ring. And having to talk to his wife's husband. And trying to raise his 12 year old daughter.

The only thing that I can think of that this movie needed to improve on is the airport scene, which, mind you, is very very very minor. Just that this occurred in late 2001 and 2002 and beyond, which is post 9/11. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to greet or say goodbye to your loved ones right at the plane gate. What with the advent of the TSA.

I am delighted that this movie introduced me to Mrs. Lenka Kripac. And her lovely song The Show, which I can definitely relate to at this time in my life. I think it is very cool that she is half Australian and Czech. And she shares the same birthday as a friend of mine.

I do not like Brad, but I respect his success and I enjoyed him in this movie. I love Jonah - he is a big reason why I saw this movie in the first place. Cool to see the following people: Robin Wright (Beowulf, Unbreakable, Princess Bride), Reed Diamond (Journeyman, 24, Dollhouse), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Mission Impossible 3), Glenn Morshower (24, Transformers, Xman).
  81. Aug 3, 2012
    A film about the link between sport and mathematics really shouldn't be this entertaining. Through a combination of great acting, a clever script and sheer energy, Moneyball is certainly up there with the top sports movies. It questions the very foundations of, and morality behind big-money US sports, and how shallow and mercenary they have become over the years. Brad Pitt is simplyA film about the link between sport and mathematics really shouldn't be this entertaining. Through a combination of great acting, a clever script and sheer energy, Moneyball is certainly up there with the top sports movies. It questions the very foundations of, and morality behind big-money US sports, and how shallow and mercenary they have become over the years. Brad Pitt is simply spellbinding as the ambitious but troubled and volatile baseball team manager Billy Beane, and Jonah Hill leaves his Superbad days long behind him with a mature and effortlessly natural performance as Peter Brand, an economics graduate who impresses Beane with his knowledge of baseball statistics and is hired to be the brains behind the Oakland Athletics. As the most memorable sport films tend to be, Moneyball is a good old-fashioned underdog story based on a series of truly remarkable real events. The only thing I question about the film is the need to fall back on tried and tested sports movie cliches for the finale - slow-motion, muffled sound, you name it it's in there, and it somewhat undermines the whole show. Some aspects of the film's plot can also be difficult to follow if you're unfamiliar with baseball, but it would be unfair to mark a film down harshly for a lack of viewer knowledge. These are very minor gripes in the grand scheme of things, and Moneyball is still a compelling viewing experience, and for the most part, a refreshingly different take on a sports movie. Expand
  82. Sep 23, 2011
    Baseball economics has long a source of serious debate amongst fans, players, and teams. The contentious issues of how to divide the revenue in an equitable manner led to the cancellation of the playoffs and World Series in 1994 and is still largely unresolved today. While smaller market teams are given funds from a luxury tax imposed on larger payroll teams, it still fails to provide anBaseball economics has long a source of serious debate amongst fans, players, and teams. The contentious issues of how to divide the revenue in an equitable manner led to the cancellation of the playoffs and World Series in 1994 and is still largely unresolved today. While smaller market teams are given funds from a luxury tax imposed on larger payroll teams, it still fails to provide an even competitive playing field when large market teams, such as the New York Yankees, can field teams with a $225 million-plus payroll while the smaller market teams have to make do with budgets often under $40 million. Naturally, this has put many teams at a competitive disadvantage and most feel that they have no chance to win long-term, even as they develop cheap homegrown talent in their minor-league systems. They lose said talent to the larger market clubs once players become eligible for free agency. It is against this backdrop that the new film â Expand
  83. Jan 10, 2012
    I really tried liking Moneyball, but in the end I couldn't succumb to this. I'm obviously in the minority who didn't enjoy this film that much, but I can admit it was a well meaning film and Pitt gives a decent performance. Despite what people may say, the movie does go into detail with baseball and its statistics. Its easy to assume that a sheer lack of interest in baseball contributed toI really tried liking Moneyball, but in the end I couldn't succumb to this. I'm obviously in the minority who didn't enjoy this film that much, but I can admit it was a well meaning film and Pitt gives a decent performance. Despite what people may say, the movie does go into detail with baseball and its statistics. Its easy to assume that a sheer lack of interest in baseball contributed to one's dislike for Moneyball, but that's not the case, it goes a little deeper than that. The story seemed a bit formulaic and the movie was quite longer than it needed to be. It had some sharp dialogue work, but the movie on a whole didn't 'wow' me in any way. Expand
  84. Feb 13, 2012
    "Moneyball" is a good film. As MarcDoyle said it's not a great film, but it's emotionally involving. Aaron Sorkin does a great job of this. He uses his witty clever words he did in "The Social Network" and applies to Brad Pitt, in which allowing him to stand up at his best as Billy Beane, the man who let the crappy Oaklands Athletics team into historical victory. As much as this is a"Moneyball" is a good film. As MarcDoyle said it's not a great film, but it's emotionally involving. Aaron Sorkin does a great job of this. He uses his witty clever words he did in "The Social Network" and applies to Brad Pitt, in which allowing him to stand up at his best as Billy Beane, the man who let the crappy Oaklands Athletics team into historical victory. As much as this is a sports movie, it's also a movie to think carefully about. Expand
  85. Sep 28, 2011
    An intellectual baseball movie! Neat look into interaction between GM, manager, players, and to a limited extent ownership. Baseball action kept to a reasonable minimum, and the actor-players were excellent, as well as the top of the cast. Ending was a bit unsatisfying, but stayed true to fact. Look for two acting nominations at the top of the cast, Jonah Hill was the highlight of the film.
  86. Oct 3, 2011
    I don't like baseball. Repeat, I really don't like baseball, however I enjoyed this film. It manages to navigate, quite possibly, the most cliched genre and subject matter of all time in a unique and involving way. At times it stalls, but not an amount even close to the actual favorite American pastime.
  87. Oct 6, 2011
    I didn't see any problems with this movie until the end. I simply dragged for far too long. I wanted it to end, so I could say I loved it, but it didn't. The ending was fantastic, so I suppose that was the payoff for the extra 30 minuets Moneyball forced me to watch. I recommend it, but prepare to be bored.
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    Very nice movie, with a great and captivating plot, you just cannot take the eyes out of the screen.
    Different of many of the baseball movies, you cant predict the end before the film ends. awesome.
    And Brad Pitt, now amazing as Producer
  89. Jan 19, 2013
    Moneyball was an exceptional movie and one of the best sports movies in recent years. Brad Pitt's supreme acting ability carries this film but the plot is also very interesting. Being a sports fan, I was familiar with most of the content in the film but what was most interesting, to me at least, was seeing how wrong so many "experts" were and how people refuse to learn from their priorMoneyball was an exceptional movie and one of the best sports movies in recent years. Brad Pitt's supreme acting ability carries this film but the plot is also very interesting. Being a sports fan, I was familiar with most of the content in the film but what was most interesting, to me at least, was seeing how wrong so many "experts" were and how people refuse to learn from their prior mistakes. Look across the professional sports world and you still see people making the same mistakes that Billy Beane fought against a little over a decade ago. Nonetheless, the movie, though long, was not boring at all and I think most people would enjoy watching it, even those who are not baseball fans. Ultimately I think that's something unique about this film. Yes, it is a sports movie but it isn't necessarily about the sport of baseball but rather one person's fight against the prehistoric culture of baseball. That journey, and how well Bennett Miller directed the movie, is what is truly worth watching. RIP fat Jonah Hill... you will be missed. Expand
  90. Feb 22, 2013
    If you're not a baseball fan, you're going to find Moneyball boring and a little bit confusing. I am an avid baseball fan and saw this film about the inner working of the front office to be extremely interesting and just plain awesome. The Oakland Athletics are a small market team and can't afford to put a hundred and fifty million dollar team of stars on the field every years, so how canIf you're not a baseball fan, you're going to find Moneyball boring and a little bit confusing. I am an avid baseball fan and saw this film about the inner working of the front office to be extremely interesting and just plain awesome. The Oakland Athletics are a small market team and can't afford to put a hundred and fifty million dollar team of stars on the field every years, so how can they possibly compete? It's a problem faced by almost half the teams in Major League Baseball, while teams the Yankees and Red Sox win year after year, teams like Royals haven't made the playoffs in twenty-five years! In sports, if you can't win, you can't draw fans and make a profit, so when you can't afford a winning team, you were just screwed, until Moneyball. Based on the true story of Oakland Athletics General Manager, Billy Beane, the film follows his creation of a system to judge players on more than just the basic scouting and numbers that have been used for a hundred years. Using this system, Beane and others who followed, have been able to compete with much lower payrolls, changing the face of Baseball. Brad Pitt is terrific as Beane and most definitely earned his Oscar nominations, but where did Jonah Hill's come from? I love Jonah Hill, but his character was as generic and boring as they come. In Moneyball, Hill plays Brad Pitt's sidekick, and is nothing more than a boring statistician, I've seen B-Movie performances that upstaged his in this film! If you love sports and want to know more about the behind the scenes aspect of it, Moneyball is a terrific film to use, but if you're not much of a fan and don't really care about sports, that you will just find this film boring. It's geared to a very specific type of moviegoer and if you're not into sports, you won't be into Moneyball. Expand
  91. Apr 21, 2012
    Very entertaining movie in every way. I never thought stats could be that exciting but Moneyball proved me wrong. Brad Pitt is brilliant and so long fat Jonah Hill, you will be missed.
  92. Dec 26, 2011
    Brad Pitt done a great job in this movie...some of the part of the movie like the phone trading scene is really awesome..i am not a baseball fan even dont know much about the A"team...but after watching MONEYBALL "" i came to know lot more things about this game and about its buisness.
  93. Jan 28, 2012
    This film takes a relatively mundane subject matter and makes a great film out of it. Pitt delivers as does Hill. Great soundtrack and stylistic filming.
  94. Mar 26, 2012
    The basic movie is about how winning isnâ
  95. Nov 7, 2012
    A well acted sports drama. Moneyball takes a new approach to the genre in that it focuses on creating good dialogue and an interesting plot rather than winning its audience over with a sappy comeback story.
  96. Mar 23, 2015
    Moneyball is the second film by director Bennett Miller who seems to specialize in bringing true stories to the big screen but these true stories aren't very well known by the general public. Moneyball stars Brad Pitt who is strong in the film but in some circumstances it seems like he is hogging the spotlight. Pitt is also surrounded by an underused supporting cast. Jonah Hill proves thatMoneyball is the second film by director Bennett Miller who seems to specialize in bringing true stories to the big screen but these true stories aren't very well known by the general public. Moneyball stars Brad Pitt who is strong in the film but in some circumstances it seems like he is hogging the spotlight. Pitt is also surrounded by an underused supporting cast. Jonah Hill proves that he can handle a dramatic role just as well as a comedic one and Philip Seymour Hoffman collaborates with Miller once again but I wish i had've seen more of him. Chris Pratt and Robin Wright also have roles in the film. Moneyball avoids the common cliches of underdog sports movies by focusing on the General Manager of the sport club rather than an athlete. Moneyball shows the world that professional baseball is not really even fair these days and that the game needed to be revolutionized by evening the playing field. Expand
  97. Dec 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's the pitching, stupid. If your team has an ace on the staff, then half the battle is already won. Some pop in the bat doesn't hurt either. The Bears, a motley group of little-league castoffs whom no other team in their division would ever pick, only start to win after their beer-guzzling manager Morris Buttermaker recruits Amanda Wurlitzer, a gender-breaking pitcher with a dominant curve(she's pre-Chelsea Baker, the knuckleball phenom) that the ex-professional ballplayer had decided two years ago was all washed-up as a daughter. On-base percentage doesn't win you games, it's the sound of the ball hitting the catcher's mitt, and the umpire calling the batter out on strikes, swinging or otherwise. In contrast to their former starter Rudi Stein, Amanda is Peppermint Patty to his Charlie Brown; she's unhittable; she keeps her clothes on, but the Bears still lose 1-0, because Lupus, f*****' Lupus, that "booger-eating moron," can't hit the cut-off man from left-field, and lets the game-winning run score. It's not all his fault, though. The Bears can't hit. Never mind the homerun, three games into the season, and the team is still searching for their first baserunner. Coach Buttermaker sees his team's offensive deficiencies, and practically invents Moneyball. So embarrassed was Ahmad by his opening game errors to the Yankees that he hid out in a tree(after a half-inning forfeit), still can't get on base, but the coach knows that the black kid is fast, so the drunkard promises to teach him how to bunt. Ahmad's hero should be Malcolm X, not Hank Aaron, because sabermetrics preaches the theory of "by any means necessary". In "Moneyball", you half-expect to hear a reprise of Bizet's "Carmen", when Oakland A's free-agent pickup Scott Hatteberg, previously the catcher for the Boston Red Sox(damaged goods due to a bum shoulder), makes error upon error, as if the converted first baseman was in communion with Toby Whitewood. To manager Art Howe, he's bad news. But GM Billy Beane, acting on advice from his assistant Peter Brand, a sabermetrics guru, thinks Hatteberg can still play the game. Despite not having Ahmad's wheels, Beane's pet project has the ability to get on base. Hatteberg walks. It's a talent which makes him proportionately more valuable than Mariners' leadoff hitter Ichiro Suzuki, because despite his annual 200 hits, the ten-time all-star swings at a lot of first pitches, resulting in a relatively low on-base percentage, the stat that trumps batting average as the real barometer of worth to the new school, founded by Brand's hero Bill James. Hatteberg, therefore, is worth the trouble, so like Buttermaker teaching Tanner the fundamentals of shortstop, it's Ron Washington's job to make people forget about Giambi by turning the ruined catcher into a functional first baseman. (Washington had his own demon: cocaine.) History shows that Beane's gambit paid off(Hatteberg batted .280, and had a fielding percentage of .994), but it's somewhat misleading and downright downright dishonest, narrative-wise, that "Moneyball" should cast this role player as the lynchpin to this financially-strapped team's miracle on the field(the A's sported a payroll three times less than the Yankees: $41M to $126M). Contrary to the sabermetrics propaganda of the film, the 2002 Oakland A's did not win a MLB-high 103 games because Beane traded Carlos Pena to Detroit, which, in effect, forced Howe's hand into playing Hatteberg. It was the pitching, stupid. Oakland had three Amandas: Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, and Mark Mulder. Heck, even the last man in the rotation, Cory Lidle, was more relevant than the pitchers "Moneyball" makes mention of: Chad Bradford, a submarine middle reliever, and late-season addition Ricardo Rincon, whose acquisition from the Indians inspires such elation in Brand, you would think that Hudson just threw another shutout. Unlike "The Bad News Bears", where the Bears face the Yankees, the A's never did get the chance to square off with the fat cats, losing somewhat ignominiously in the ALDS to the Twins(payroll $40M), who are, perhaps, every bit the underdog that Beane's team was, in five games. The real climax to "Moneyball", judging by the postscript, occurs in "Fever Pitch", when Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore run onto the field in Yankee Stadium after the Sox clinch the pennant(en route to their World Series win over the Cards), since the film gives Beane's methods all the credit. Does Moneyball work? Well, in the 1976 Michael Ritchie film, while the walks and hit batters keep the Bears alive in that final game with the Yanks, it's Kelly Leak's moonshot that nearly wins it all for the overachievers. Some pop in the bat doesn't hurt. Exhibit A: Miguel Tejada, with his 34 HRs and 131 RBIs. Lucky for the A's, he just swung away, walking only 38 times in 162 games. Then again, Leak doesn't accept the free pass and ends up getting thrown out at home plate. Expand
  98. Oct 1, 2011
    Like the Social Network this movie is getting blown out of proportion. The Social Network was not a movie that defined the internet generation. It was simply a movie about the formation of facebook. But it was well made, funny, and exiting. Moneyball is not a film about corporate greed or human nature. Its a movie about baseball. Nothing more. It too is well made, funny, but unfortunatelyLike the Social Network this movie is getting blown out of proportion. The Social Network was not a movie that defined the internet generation. It was simply a movie about the formation of facebook. But it was well made, funny, and exiting. Moneyball is not a film about corporate greed or human nature. Its a movie about baseball. Nothing more. It too is well made, funny, but unfortunately more dull than exciting. Like a midseason game this movie has moments of grace but ultimately the limits of its own game and the low stakes make the attention span drift at times. Expand
  99. Sep 27, 2011
    It's a solid movie and reminded me more of All the President's Men rather than The Natural, so the target sports audience are bound to be let down. Like Miller's "Capote" there's a detached coolness that works pretty well here, yet some scenes feel bizarely sedated.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 21, 2011
    You don't need to understand anything of baseball to get behind this, a chest-swelling story about second chances and flipping a finger up (even a giant foam one) to The Man.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 26, 2011
    Statistics and their alleged true meaning are at the heart of Moneyball, but it's also one of the most soulful of baseball movies - it confronts the anguish of a tough game.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Sep 23, 2011
    Moneyball presents a misleading story line in order to prop up Billy Beane as some kind of would-be miracle worker antihero. In truth, he's just another tobacco-chewing go-getter trying to make sense of a game that, thankfully, has never quite made sense.