8.0

1. Apr 22, 2014
    A great sports movie. One of the best sports movies I have ever watched. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great and have great chemistry together in this movie. I am a huge baseball fan so I enjoyed this movie even more than some people would but even if your not a baseball fan you can still enjoy this movie because of the great script and acting. It had a good happy ending which I really enjoyed and added to my overall experience of this movie. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    Moneyball is a great film about baseball, but this film takes a fresh angle on the sport. Instead of doing the cliché sports movie about an underdog team that wins the championship with hard work and perseverance, Moneyball looks at the money and deals side of America's favorite pastime. This gives the movie energy and charisma that makes the film exhilarating to watch.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    OH MY GOODNESS! What a performance, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt, you literally couldn’t take your eyes off of them, and not because they take up most of the screen time. Brad Pitt delivers his usual sensational performance, and completely deserves his Oscar nomination for this role. Jonah Hill lived up to my expectation, which pleasantly surprised me as I honestly thought he would just suddenly become the kid from Superbad, (don’t get me wrong I loved Superbad but just it obviously wouldn’t suit this film) Hill really pulled out all the stops for this role and I would of given him the Oscar.

The simple story of Billy Beane and the trust he puts into Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) and their story of seeking out this baseball ‘outcasts’, and putting together an extraordinary team, is surprising rich and easy to grasp. Supported with a strong screenplay really adds to the intensity of the film.

I really enjoyed the use of archive footage in the film which when put together with the shots of the actors worked really well, and gave the story that extra ump-ff to remind you that this is a true story and this actually happened. Also the attention to detail in this film was superb, the costumes were made to preciously resemble all of the uniforms of the baseball teams which the Oakland A’s took on during the 2002 baseball season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience I felt by watching this film.

In hindsight I will admit this is not a film which will grab you unless your in the mood for it, it’s not a film that will grab you by the throat and scream at you to enjoy it, it’s not Die Hard. It’s a beautifully crafted masterpiece which creates an emotional connection with you (if you’re in the right mood) and really sticks with you your feelings towards the characters after the film has finished. This is definitely a film I would watch again and would recommend to anybody.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Being a South African, I am not experienced with the sport of baseball and it`s history. This disadvantage did not stop me from enjoying such a superb film. One of the...actually, the best film of 2011. Compared to other let downs such as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, the mediocre War Horse, The Descendants and Hugo(did not really captivate me), Moneyball strikes for a home run and results in heading out of the park. Brad Pit shines as Billy Beane, the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics, and the supporting cast including Jonah Hill are exemplary. Aaron Sorkin and Steve Zallian`s screenplay is quirky as ever. The cinematography, by Wally Pftser, is a feast for the eyes. All these contributions are why I love movies. Definitely a memorable movie. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm rather surprised at the positive reviews of this film. On the basic technical measures it's fine, but I don't think most viewers quite comprehend the underlying message.

Prior to the Moneyball formula of player-picking, recruiters and scouts definitely knew that statistics played a role, but Moneyball made it all about the formula. It reduced big sports to nothing but a soulless
    math problem.
    The economic evolution of sports likely made that an eventual inevitability, but I don't see it as a reason to celebrate in the form of a movie, at least, not one with an uplifting feel.
  6. Jun 2, 2013
    Anyone who loves baseball and especially statistics will love this film. Sure it fails to mention that the A's had some of the best starting pitching, but it doesn't stop you from enjoying this film.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    My knowledge of baseball is very limited (my choice of US sports is football), thankfully however this didn't limit my enjoyment of Moneyball (even if I did have to Google 'on-base percentage', but I got the gist of it). At its heart, the film is a real life underdog story revolving around Billy Beane's unshirking determination and belief in Peter Brand's methods, in the face of extreme consternation and criticism. Moneyball's script was co-written by Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) and Steven Zaillian (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and the result is a clever and witty narrative that delivers some amusing scenes, usually involving Jonah Hill's shy and uncomfortable Assistant GM Brand. Hill himself is a revelation (Academy nominated for Supporting Actor) in a straight role, playing against his norm yet still being responsible for most of the film's light hearted moments. It seems a shame he even considered starring in The Sitter after this performance. Brad Pitt is another who stands out with an admirable performance as the main character, embodying just the right amount of likeability, softly spoken confidence and self-belief, without crossing into meglomaniac territory, despite practically shutting down his scouting department. When considering the three leading names, Philip Seymour Hoffman seems to be underused as Coach Art Howe, mostly seen standing around in disbelief as his team is dismantled. I would have liked to have seen more of him, given what the man can really bring to a role.

A really enjoyable sports underdog story, and not just for baseball fans.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    Moneyball is an elegant Brad Pitt movie, it thrives by its emotional sequences and does entertain throughout its two hours. The Businessman Mad Men type was depicted well. Also some epic in- your- face- scenes. MoneyBall is a winner.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    If you're not a baseball fan, you're going to find Moneyball boring and a little bit confusing. I am an avid baseball fan and saw this film about the inner working of the front office to be extremely interesting and just plain awesome. The Oakland Athletics are a small market team and can't afford to put a hundred and fifty million dollar team of stars on the field every years, so how can they possibly compete? It's a problem faced by almost half the teams in Major League Baseball, while teams the Yankees and Red Sox win year after year, teams like Royals haven't made the playoffs in twenty-five years! In sports, if you can't win, you can't draw fans and make a profit, so when you can't afford a winning team, you were just screwed, until Moneyball. Based on the true story of Oakland Athletics General Manager, Billy Beane, the film follows his creation of a system to judge players on more than just the basic scouting and numbers that have been used for a hundred years. Using this system, Beane and others who followed, have been able to compete with much lower payrolls, changing the face of Baseball. Brad Pitt is terrific as Beane and most definitely earned his Oscar nominations, but where did Jonah Hill's come from? I love Jonah Hill, but his character was as generic and boring as they come. In Moneyball, Hill plays Brad Pitt's sidekick, and is nothing more than a boring statistician, I've seen B-Movie performances that upstaged his in this film! If you love sports and want to know more about the behind the scenes aspect of it, Moneyball is a terrific film to use, but if you're not much of a fan and don't really care about sports, that you will just find this film boring. It's geared to a very specific type of moviegoer and if you're not into sports, you won't be into Moneyball. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    Moneyball was an exceptional movie and one of the best sports movies in recent years. Brad Pitt's supreme acting ability carries this film but the plot is also very interesting. Being a sports fan, I was familiar with most of the content in the film but what was most interesting, to me at least, was seeing how wrong so many "experts" were and how people refuse to learn from their prior mistakes. Look across the professional sports world and you still see people making the same mistakes that Billy Beane fought against a little over a decade ago. Nonetheless, the movie, though long, was not boring at all and I think most people would enjoy watching it, even those who are not baseball fans. Ultimately I think that's something unique about this film. Yes, it is a sports movie but it isn't necessarily about the sport of baseball but rather one person's fight against the prehistoric culture of baseball. That journey, and how well Bennett Miller directed the movie, is what is truly worth watching. RIP fat Jonah Hill... you will be missed. Expand
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    Really good film! Perhaps a bit overrated, but it does feature a brilliant script from Aaron Sorkin, and solid performances all around, especially from Brad Pitt.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    A sharp script, a virtuous performance from Brad Pitt, and a solid directorial effort from Bennett Miller make "Moneyball" a definite winner.
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    A well acted sports drama. Moneyball takes a new approach to the genre in that it focuses on creating good dialogue and an interesting plot rather than winning its audience over with a sappy comeback story.
  14. Oct 20, 2012
    I know absolutely nothing about baseball but Moneyball was an entertaining movie. Pitt and Hoffman are excellent and it's always a pleasure to see someone sticking it to the man. Moneyball is fun but unessential viewing.
  15. Oct 20, 2012
    Searching for a soul in the baseball community to some is like searching for steak at McDonalds. This movie succeeds in intertwining a history lesson with the common man who just happens to be uncommon. With its subtleties and non-flashy performances, "Moneyball" is able to let shine what truly is important to itself -- telling the honest story of one man who shattered the stereotypes of Major League Baseball. Expand
  16. Sep 9, 2012
    Quite a slow pace to this one gives the audience time to get to know the major players and figure out just what Beane and Brand are doing. To me, the fact they didn
  17. Aug 10, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin once again takes a subject (baseball upper management) that should not be exciting, and makes it thrilling. Both a hilarious and interesting look at what goes on behind the scenes in the world of baseball.
  18. Aug 3, 2012
    A film about the link between sport and mathematics really shouldn't be this entertaining. Through a combination of great acting, a clever script and sheer energy, Moneyball is certainly up there with the top sports movies. It questions the very foundations of, and morality behind big-money US sports, and how shallow and mercenary they have become over the years. Brad Pitt is simply spellbinding as the ambitious but troubled and volatile baseball team manager Billy Beane, and Jonah Hill leaves his Superbad days long behind him with a mature and effortlessly natural performance as Peter Brand, an economics graduate who impresses Beane with his knowledge of baseball statistics and is hired to be the brains behind the Oakland Athletics. As the most memorable sport films tend to be, Moneyball is a good old-fashioned underdog story based on a series of truly remarkable real events. The only thing I question about the film is the need to fall back on tried and tested sports movie cliches for the finale - slow-motion, muffled sound, you name it it's in there, and it somewhat undermines the whole show. Some aspects of the film's plot can also be difficult to follow if you're unfamiliar with baseball, but it would be unfair to mark a film down harshly for a lack of viewer knowledge. These are very minor gripes in the grand scheme of things, and Moneyball is still a compelling viewing experience, and for the most part, a refreshingly different take on a sports movie. Expand
  19. Jun 26, 2012
    Moneyball is a wonderful movie: Brad Pitt gets up from only the total level of acting. A movie to watch, even for someone like me, knows nothing (or almost) about baseball.
  20. Jun 22, 2012
    I was somewhat bored during this film, maybe it was because I don't like baseball and its string-pullers. However, I still enjoyed everything this well written movie offered. And Pitt's acting is great.
  21. Jun 1, 2012
    Written by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, it's not The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or The Social Network. But director Bennett Miller along with Brad Pitt take a serious subject with beautiful shot turn it into touching potrait of baseball lore. Damn! I couldn't stop singing Lenka's song now.
  22. May 25, 2012
    Overall, "Moneyball" is okay. Itâ
  23. Apr 24, 2012
    MONEYBALL is one of the greatest movies of our time. Billy Beane (played by a flawless Brad Pitt) is the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics who must put together a winning baseball team with an extremely tight budget (nearly a third of the Yankees'). With the help of a brilliant Yale graduate (Jonah Hill in an Academy-Award-Nominated role), Beane begins to manipulate the economics of baseball in his favor in one of the best underdog stories of all time. Expand
  24. Apr 21, 2012
    Very entertaining movie in every way. I never thought stats could be that exciting but Moneyball proved me wrong. Brad Pitt is brilliant and so long fat Jonah Hill, you will be missed.
  25. Apr 5, 2012
    Google Maps (formerly Google Local) is a webGoogle Maps mapping service application and technology provided by Google, that powers many map-based services, including the website, Google Ride Finder, Google Transit,[1] and maps embedded on third-party websites via the Google Maps API.[2] It offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike (beta), kayak,[3] or public transport and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world. Google Maps satellite images are not updated in real time; they are several months or years old.
    Google Maps uses a close variant of the Mercator projection, so it cannot show areas around the poles. A related product is Google Earth, a stand-alone program which offers more globe-viewing features, including showing polar areas.
  26. Mar 26, 2012
    I was not too thrilled initially going into this film, but by the end it came out one of the finest movie achievements of the year. A strong supported cast carried this excellently written script. It was fast paced and kept my attention. This movie was a home-run.
  27. Mar 26, 2012
    The basic movie is about how winning isnâ
  28. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10. It's funny and sad at times but acting outstanding, story is remarkable, and just a great sports film. One of the best. If your a sports fan, then this is for you.
  29. Mar 24, 2012
    Moneyball is more of a baseball film. it is an incredible story of where baseball was in the early 21th century. it layed the ground work of the way modern day baseball works. i am a hugh baseball fan and this movie with its fantastic acting and great editing hit every mark exactly of what makes a great film and made me love baseball even more.â
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    Thought it was a really excellent movie with an awesome ending. I saw it with two non-baseball fans and they enjoyed it as well. My two problems were that they changed it a little from the book/real life and the cinematography was annoying at points (zooming in computer screens and player statistics?)
  31. Mar 16, 2012
    Although we have seen the subject materiel before about a failing team trying to be good again, and you sit there and wait for the happy ending. Yet, this film is told so intelligently and it makes the film entertaining. The film is helped even more by the pair of winning and charming performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. I give this film 88%.
  32. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I recently saw the movie. I have to say that I have no idea about baseball so I didn't find something catchy. For me I would say that it is a boring movie and it doesn't make clear some things like the feelings of Billy Beane. For example in the scene where he yells at the players after beating. It's not a strong emotionally and doesn't affect anyone. Also I believe Jonah Hill didn't match with this role. He does support the yela graduate but can't stand next to Beane as a personal supporter and assistant Maybe this movie is based on feelings thoughts expressions and the game generally, I didn't make me love baseball Expand
  33. Mar 10, 2012
    I have never watched baseball, nor do I get what skillsets are required in a player or a team for that matter, so a film about putting a baseball team together leaves me at least indifferent. The performances are good but not Oscar worthy and the direction is tight and for someone who appreciates the subject matter better than I do, this could really be something quite special. But not for me.
  34. Feb 20, 2012
    Simply put, the movie was not that good. There was nothing new about this movie I have not seen before and the movie was slow for my taste. Over-rated and not worth a purchase but maybe a rent.
  35. Feb 19, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Maybe should have given it a nine. Not sure. But it's got great acting, a smart script, and it's telling a fascinating story. Not sure how this did in the box office, but it did well. It deserved to.
  36. Feb 17, 2012
    Everything from the writing, to the direction, to the engaging performances on offer, to the subtle yet captivating score, leaves Moneyball as one of the best films of the year. A picture that can capture your heart and imagination when itâ
  37. Feb 15, 2012
    Equipped with a deftly slick script, deluges of heart and tenderness in the most latent instances of banalities, ballasted by a winsomely charismatic Pitt, is 2011's "Moneyball;" the biopic sports drama that keeps the jargon and economic talk terse, and brings human nature to the forefront. What emerges, is a film about life, laden with its struggles, challenges, losses, and triumphants, with baseball, inconsequentially as its backdrop. For the ardent sports enthusiast, much of the "art" of the game is captured, however, it is presented in a manner that is near the fringes of condescension and whose suspension of disbelief and disregard can become offensive to witness. Moreover, the story (albeit "true") is deliberately told in fallacy in order to dramatize the truth (can't forget it's Hollywood). This is specifically true in the ball club's roster, of which wasn't as aggregated with misfits as the film suggests. Nevertheless, "Moneyball" is a tale that is told with passion, diligence, and finesse, (Zaillian and Sorkin) thanks largely in part to Pitt's amiable character and delivery. While the errors in the film will be hardly noticeable to most, it is certain that the film will leave many thoroughly entertained and ready to dust off the old mitt and get the shoulders warm for throwing. It's bound to earn one's admiration far past the seventh-inning stretch; no stops to concessions for this one. Expand
  38. Feb 13, 2012
    Not so much a baseball movie as it is the age-old story of someone trying to fight the system/establishment. The acting was great-- but they could have easily left out the main character's family subplot.
  39. Feb 13, 2012
    "Moneyball" is a good film. As MarcDoyle said it's not a great film, but it's emotionally involving. Aaron Sorkin does a great job of this. He uses his witty clever words he did in "The Social Network" and applies to Brad Pitt, in which allowing him to stand up at his best as Billy Beane, the man who let the crappy Oaklands Athletics team into historical victory. As much as this is a sports movie, it's also a movie to think carefully about. Expand
  40. Feb 9, 2012
    Undoubtedly an amazing film . I am not a fan of Sports-Drama film but Moneyball was just so freaking awesome . With a amazing script Bennett Miller showed exactly what I wanted to see . Brads acting was absolutely amazing . He did so good . Jonah Hill was good too and It really was his best . Everything in this movie tells that Therese so many ways to do things right . Even if u had to piss everyone else at the first time U should do thing right . Bennett Miller show once again that no matter how silent the movie is if u make it right then its gold ! Expand
  41. Feb 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable baseball movie... perhaps the best serious film about the game ever made.

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill have great chemistry in their mentor/apprentice relationship. Who is the mentor and who is the apprentice goes back and forth depending on the subject matter. The opportunities for movie cliches are avoided at every turn... but then, this is a rendition of real life we're
    watching where the endings are never predictable. Expand
  42. Feb 6, 2012
    Moneyball is an instant classic in the sports movie genre and deserves its academy nomination for best picture. Brad Pitt seems like he was born to play Billy Beane and Jonah Hill surprisingly plays his more reserved part well. The biggest fault of the movie is the real story, which forced the climax to be less climatic than it could have been. You do not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy this movie. Expand
  43. Feb 5, 2012
    A+ for the message. A+ for a great underdog story. A+ for the cast. A for cinematography. A for the A's (da duh bump) B for airport scene. I am not a sports person, but I must say that I love sports movies. Moneyball is no exception. While it didn't have that extreme wow factor, it was still very inspiring, especially being a true story. I am a fan of history and learning about things; it was nice to learn more about the Oakland A's.

What a spectacular message this movie delivers. There are a lot of nay sayers in life. It is important to be flexible, but generally we as people are creatures of habit. We say we embrace change but we don't really mean it. You really have to put your mind to it to genuinely be open to change. We see that true and true in the characters that Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill play. And, as we learn in movies like Blindside and Pursuit of Happyness, don't ever give up, don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't.

I love the plot. The dichotomy between flashbacks and present time. And family struggles, like Brad's character being divorced but still wearing his wedding ring. And having to talk to his wife's husband. And trying to raise his 12 year old daughter.

The only thing that I can think of that this movie needed to improve on is the airport scene, which, mind you, is very very very minor. Just that this occurred in late 2001 and 2002 and beyond, which is post 9/11. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to greet or say goodbye to your loved ones right at the plane gate. What with the advent of the TSA.

I am delighted that this movie introduced me to Mrs. Lenka Kripac. And her lovely song The Show, which I can definitely relate to at this time in my life. I think it is very cool that she is half Australian and Czech. And she shares the same birthday as a friend of mine.

I do not like Brad, but I respect his success and I enjoyed him in this movie. I love Jonah - he is a big reason why I saw this movie in the first place. Cool to see the following people: Robin Wright (Beowulf, Unbreakable, Princess Bride), Reed Diamond (Journeyman, 24, Dollhouse), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Mission Impossible 3), Glenn Morshower (24, Transformers, Xman).
  44. Lyn
    Feb 5, 2012
    I liked it, but honestly can't imagine it holding the interest of anyone who's not a big baseball fan. I have to attribute many of this film's accolades to a not-completely-rational adoration of Brad Pitt and Aaron Sorkin. (An Oscar nod for Jonah Hill? Really?)
  45. Feb 4, 2012
    Great film, loads of expectation. Too much technical for non-US baseball fans, but still comprehensive. I would have known about baseball a little bit more to understand what they were talking about and if it was interesting enough. Pitt never fails.
  46. Jan 31, 2012
    Incredibly well-written script. Another good performance by Brad Pitt and good supporting efforts by Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think that the length was perfect and the resolution was satisfying. Deserves the nomination. (A)
  47. Jan 28, 2012
    This film takes a relatively mundane subject matter and makes a great film out of it. Pitt delivers as does Hill. Great soundtrack and stylistic filming.
  48. Jan 24, 2012
    As a Canadian born into hockey culture, i have never in my life truly known much about, or cared much about baseball. Moneyball didn't make me want to go out and watch a baseball game, and i'm glad it didn't. You don't have to know baseball to enjoy this film. It has heart, substance, great actors, and, probably the most rare amongst sports films, Accessibility. Definite recommendation to anyone in for a good (albeit rather long) ride. Expand
  49. Jan 22, 2012
    My favorite film of the year. Brad Pitt does and outstanding job bringing Billy to life. Movie is a great mix of drama, laughter, and concepts that make you think about other areas of life. Brings a turning point in baseball culture to the big screen, and educates even people that thought they new the details behind the strong move to statistics.
  50. BKM
    Jan 21, 2012
    David doesn't slay Goliath in Moneyball, a smart and entertaining film about the business of baseball, but he finds a way to compete in a game that has an incredibly uneven playing field. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill turn in excellent performances in a film that serves as a stern reminder that there will always be small teams scraping to compete but that the big teams will always have the upper hand. The fact that this seemingly dull concept results in a deeply engaging and surprising moving film is one of the minor miracles of 2011. Expand
  51. JYT
    Jan 21, 2012
    Excellent and capital movie. The movie is about baseball but also about the right and fair evaluation of performance and individuals. This means looking at FACTS as best as you can. This is valid for sports, your job, you car insurance, your mortgage, etc...A movie those rating agency, presidential candidates, stock traders who only act on rumours should obviously watch. A must see movie for the credit crunch generation. Expand
  52. Jan 20, 2012
    This is truly a remarkable film. Brad Pitt deserves an Oscar for his performance and the story was so charmingly real that it easily is one of the greatest films of the year.
  53. Jan 19, 2012
    I'm not a sports fan, but baseball is probably the only sport where I know the rules. This film draws you in even if you think there is really no point in being so obsessed with where the ball lands. â
  54. Jan 17, 2012
    Moneyball is a film that you could easily misjudge, it is a sports movie and starring by Brad Pitt, how deep can it get? A lot more than what people think. Moneyball teach you that experience does not mean too much when taking a decision. Sometimes you need to take another point of view or a different way, in order to makes things right. This film shows how two men face their ideals and their fear of change, so as to pull out the baseball team of the loser chart. They resort to math and statistics.
    This team represents the whole life of manager, the players are his family and when he notice that, he decides to forget about the politic of not get involved, because is easier to let them go; and start doing the opposite. Is predictable what comes of that, the team improved.
    The performance of Brad Pitt is one the best I have seen in years and Johan Hill surprised me, the only problem of the movie is that it is a little bit slow, but when the plot is as original as this one, the speed of the film is not important.
  55. Jan 16, 2012
    Let's get the obvious out of the way. Too long. Mr Hill was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Globes). He cracks one joke, has 2 facial expressions, and tosses Mr Pitt the ball; compared to Mr Plummer? It was not a bad performance but not one worthy of an award. The story is of course interesting; how Mr Beane defied the way of doing things and brought technology to baseball. But watching "the streak" was like watching a Twilight Zone episode or "The Natural", I knew something great was going to happen but in the end it would not be enough. The ultimate goal of every ball team is to win the championship, and of course they didn't. Mr Pitt is confusing in the role. I have no idea why he wears a weeding ring, no idea why his adult family situation, which is only hinted at, is brought up. Inspiration from his daughter? But it was a very small part and superfluous at the end. Perhaps it was to get a screen appearance for Ms Wright, who appears to be out to do a cameo in every movie possible. So just some flashbacks on Mr Beane but no detail. The entire movie is in as few words as possible telling everyone they're doing it his way. Some good scenes while he is doing some trades, some good dialogue with Mr Hill, but overall an average performance in an average movie. If it was not "based" on a true story, it would not have been made. And with the usual disclaimer (some "stuff" was made up) who knows if it actually went down like that. It's almost worth seeing (C+). Expand
  56. Jan 14, 2012
    I am not a baseball fan but I find this film extremely fascinating and entertaining. I say credit to the screenwriter and the director. Statistics can be a boring subject but this film proves it wrong. I even have tears in my eyes when the underdog finally achieves something good. This film combines sports, statistics and drama perfectly. Brad Pitt gives an excellent quiet performance. Two big thumbs up! Expand
  57. Jan 11, 2012
    It was an average picture with a couple of solid acting performances that made the movie more engaging than the story itself. The movie, like the book, pulled out facts that made the premise of Moneyball more believable. As a baseball fan and one who followed the A's that season it was more than just numbers that made them the team they were. Many forget they had young talent at key positions that went on to make tons of money and eventually the whole Money ball system came crashing down. Expand
  58. Jan 11, 2012
    A good film......not a great film. Yes, it proves to be entertaining and interesting for those who are not huge fans of baseball and all it's tenured history. Pitt does another great job and Hill is really good as well. This is not a boring film by any stretch, and quite frankly I thought it would be. Its not and the dialogue is crisp and full of life and truth. It really does make you care for the on-screen struggles of these characters and it is enjoyable to watch, save for the downer ending....but hey! They can't argue with what actually happened, right? Expand
  59. Jan 10, 2012
    The movie could have ended on a more subtle note, but this is one of the very best films of the year. brad pitt (with The Tree of Life) proved to be THE actor of the year. The editing is PERFECT and ofcourse a screenplay with Steve Zaillan and Aaron Sorkin as the writers will be great. I hope Bennett Miller does not wait 6 years for his next film! This is how mainstream Hollywood produced films should ALWAYS be, it is said we live in a time where this is considered a masterpiece.(But it really is great though) Expand
  60. Jan 10, 2012
    I really tried liking Moneyball, but in the end I couldn't succumb to this. I'm obviously in the minority who didn't enjoy this film that much, but I can admit it was a well meaning film and Pitt gives a decent performance. Despite what people may say, the movie does go into detail with baseball and its statistics. Its easy to assume that a sheer lack of interest in baseball contributed to one's dislike for Moneyball, but that's not the case, it goes a little deeper than that. The story seemed a bit formulaic and the movie was quite longer than it needed to be. It had some sharp dialogue work, but the movie on a whole didn't 'wow' me in any way. Expand
  61. Jan 10, 2012
    Maybe its me...but Golden Globe worthy? Please! It was charming at best. Being a baseball fan...I connected a little closer to the business and respected the bittersweet side of the sport. It was incredibly well written but toned down for a docu-drama style direction film. Scientific baseball theory exposé film.
  62. Jan 8, 2012
    Based on a true story, Moneyball is a movie for anybody who has ever dreamed of taking on the system. Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The onetime jock teams with Ivy League grad Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) in an unlikely partnership, recruiting bargain players that the scouts call flawed, but all of whom have an ability to get on base, score runs, and win games. It's more than baseball, it's a revolution - one that challenges old school traditions and puts Beane in the crosshairs of those who say he's tearing out the heart and soul of the game. Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2012
    Simply put: The best baseball film ever made. There are a few scenes in this film that only someone who has played the game for years could depict. This film is realistic, yet very "meta." A fantastic film, and the best baseball film ever made IMO.
  64. Jan 2, 2012
    The movie was entertaining and thought provoking. Acting was great. Screenplay was great. Soundtrack was great. I liked it. What more can you ask for?
  65. Dec 30, 2011
    great film. when i think about it i really can't find anything i didnt like about it. the acting was great, there was no overacting from anyone. the writing was great, i kept me interested in baseball (which is pretty rare). and really great score, real emotion. definitely one of the best film of the year. i would recommend it, the only thing is that it is slowly paced (i didnt mind, but i know some people do) Expand
  66. Dec 30, 2011
    A+. Remember the classical sport movies about overcoming one's problems with a happy end? Have you seen Jobs' speech at Stanford? Moneyball is both. It's a good movie about unorthodox thinking, opening oneself to the others and going against the odds. Maybe it's not fast-paced, but hey, we're talking about baseball, aren't we? Screenplay is good and convincing, but it's Pitt's performance that is great. I hope for him to strike at least one home run by getting an Oscar nomination. Expand
  67. Dec 29, 2011
    This is the kind of movie that makes you search Google immediately, a rather interesting script with a direction that you do two hours fascinating. Pitt right in his role.
  68. Dec 29, 2011
    You'll miss one of this year's best if you won't watch this movie. Some say this is only for baseball fans? Or only for guys? I don't think so. I think the appeal is universal. It touches the soul. Brad Pitt is surely a lock for a Best Actor nomination at the 2012 Oscars for his double-edged character. Jonah Hill is nomination-worthy. By the way, if my recollection is correct, you won't see Phillip Seymour Hoffman having a cigarette here. movienotesbook.blogspot.com Expand
  69. Dec 28, 2011
    Very nice movie, with a great and captivating plot, you just cannot take the eyes out of the screen.
    Different of many of the baseball movies, you cant predict the end before the film ends. awesome.
    And Brad Pitt, now amazing as Producer
  70. Dec 26, 2011
    Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt hit a home run with their performances in Moneyball, a great baseball story with heart. Moneyball is about the troubled life of Billy Beane, the coach of the Oakland A's. heartwarming and thoughtful, Moneyball is the baseball film of the decade. Oscar or Not? Oscar: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay
  71. Dec 26, 2011
    Brad Pitt done a great job in this movie...some of the part of the movie like the phone trading scene is really awesome..i am not a baseball fan even dont know much about the A"team...but after watching MONEYBALL "" i came to know lot more things about this game and about its buisness.
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    I am an MLB fanatic and this is one of the best baseball movies to ever be put into Hollywood. The actors resemble the real life characters almost to a T with the exception of Jonah Hill. There is something for everyone in this movie. Billy Beane is still the GM of the Oakland A's. What a guy.
  73. Dec 18, 2011
    All I can say is : wow. This is a genuinely good movie. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I still liked it. If you're a sports fan (any sport), I'm pretty sure you will appreciate it as much as I did. I loved the fact that they brought up mathematics into baseball. That was cool to watch. '' Moneyball '' is one of the best movie that I've seen in a long time. We usually don't see a lot of '' drama '' sports movies. This is the one that we have been waiting for. It's got great acting (Jonah Hill proved that he could play in serious movies), amazing cinematography, good script and great music and ambiance. I'm glad that they showed situations between the general manager and the players about drafting and trading. There were also emotional parts, which was perfect. I just want to specified that the movie did one mistake. In one scene, Casey Beane (played by Kerris Dorsey) sang a song to her dad (Billy Beane, played by Brad Pitt). The song was called '' The show '', by Lenka. It was released in 2008, but in the movie, the story takes place in 2002. So it's impossible for the girl to sing it. Anyway, it's definitely gonna get nominated for an Oscar. It's a must see ! Expand
  74. Dec 18, 2011
    Not a bad movie but not unique either. I was hoping Moneyball would tackle the obvious problem that baseball is absurd with no spending cap. Instead it was a pretty basic story about a ball club who builds an unlikely team using statistics. Low intensity type of story with been-there-seen-that characters. Pretty white bread, toast-no-jam kind of story. The irony is that the ending praises the Red Sox for winning with Beane's system when actually the year the Sox won the series they had the SECOND HIGHEST PAYROLL IN THE LEAGUE so you can forget all that b.s. Nice try. Expand
  75. Dec 17, 2011
    Im not a fan of baseball but this film was great to watch. the characters were compelling and the acting was solid. Recommended esp for sporty quant jocks.
  76. Dec 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's the pitching, stupid. If your team has an ace on the staff, then half the battle is already won. Some pop in the bat doesn't hurt either. The Bears, a motley group of little-league castoffs whom no other team in their division would ever pick, only start to win after their beer-guzzling manager Morris Buttermaker recruits Amanda Wurlitzer, a gender-breaking pitcher with a dominant curve(she's pre-Chelsea Baker, the knuckleball phenom) that the ex-professional ballplayer had decided two years ago was all washed-up as a daughter. On-base percentage doesn't win you games, it's the sound of the ball hitting the catcher's mitt, and the umpire calling the batter out on strikes, swinging or otherwise. In contrast to their former starter Rudi Stein, Amanda is Peppermint Patty to his Charlie Brown; she's unhittable; she keeps her clothes on, but the Bears still lose 1-0, because Lupus, f*****' Lupus, that "booger-eating moron," can't hit the cut-off man from left-field, and lets the game-winning run score. It's not all his fault, though. The Bears can't hit. Never mind the homerun, three games into the season, and the team is still searching for their first baserunner. Coach Buttermaker sees his team's offensive deficiencies, and practically invents Moneyball. So embarrassed was Ahmad by his opening game errors to the Yankees that he hid out in a tree(after a half-inning forfeit), still can't get on base, but the coach knows that the black kid is fast, so the drunkard promises to teach him how to bunt. Ahmad's hero should be Malcolm X, not Hank Aaron, because sabermetrics preaches the theory of "by any means necessary". In "Moneyball", you half-expect to hear a reprise of Bizet's "Carmen", when Oakland A's free-agent pickup Scott Hatteberg, previously the catcher for the Boston Red Sox(damaged goods due to a bum shoulder), makes error upon error, as if the converted first baseman was in communion with Toby Whitewood. To manager Art Howe, he's bad news. But GM Billy Beane, acting on advice from his assistant Peter Brand, a sabermetrics guru, thinks Hatteberg can still play the game. Despite not having Ahmad's wheels, Beane's pet project has the ability to get on base. Hatteberg walks. It's a talent which makes him proportionately more valuable than Mariners' leadoff hitter Ichiro Suzuki, because despite his annual 200 hits, the ten-time all-star swings at a lot of first pitches, resulting in a relatively low on-base percentage, the stat that trumps batting average as the real barometer of worth to the new school, founded by Brand's hero Bill James. Hatteberg, therefore, is worth the trouble, so like Buttermaker teaching Tanner the fundamentals of shortstop, it's Ron Washington's job to make people forget about Giambi by turning the ruined catcher into a functional first baseman. (Washington had his own demon: cocaine.) History shows that Beane's gambit paid off(Hatteberg batted .280, and had a fielding percentage of .994), but it's somewhat misleading and downright downright dishonest, narrative-wise, that "Moneyball" should cast this role player as the lynchpin to this financially-strapped team's miracle on the field(the A's sported a payroll three times less than the Yankees: $41M to $126M). Contrary to the sabermetrics propaganda of the film, the 2002 Oakland A's did not win a MLB-high 103 games because Beane traded Carlos Pena to Detroit, which, in effect, forced Howe's hand into playing Hatteberg. It was the pitching, stupid. Oakland had three Amandas: Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, and Mark Mulder. Heck, even the last man in the rotation, Cory Lidle, was more relevant than the pitchers "Moneyball" makes mention of: Chad Bradford, a submarine middle reliever, and late-season addition Ricardo Rincon, whose acquisition from the Indians inspires such elation in Brand, you would think that Hudson just threw another shutout. Unlike "The Bad News Bears", where the Bears face the Yankees, the A's never did get the chance to square off with the fat cats, losing somewhat ignominiously in the ALDS to the Twins(payroll $40M), who are, perhaps, every bit the underdog that Beane's team was, in five games. The real climax to "Moneyball", judging by the postscript, occurs in "Fever Pitch", when Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore run onto the field in Yankee Stadium after the Sox clinch the pennant(en route to their World Series win over the Cards), since the film gives Beane's methods all the credit. Does Moneyball work? Well, in the 1976 Michael Ritchie film, while the walks and hit batters keep the Bears alive in that final game with the Yanks, it's Kelly Leak's moonshot that nearly wins it all for the overachievers. Some pop in the bat doesn't hurt. Exhibit A: Miguel Tejada, with his 34 HRs and 131 RBIs. Lucky for the A's, he just swung away, walking only 38 times in 162 games. Then again, Leak doesn't accept the free pass and ends up getting thrown out at home plate. Expand
  77. Nov 28, 2011
    Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill fuel this incredibly acted, fun, feel-good baseball movie. Brad Pitt definitly deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his strong performance.
  78. Nov 16, 2011
    WOW> I dont understand the critics and their mentality. I went for this movie after reading all the positive review. This was was fuc***ing boring. It was so slow and that I actually slept during the movie for about 5 - 10 minutes. This happened to me for the first time ever. I am sure that this movie will win the oscar. After all oscars are meant for such boring movies. eg - Kings speech over the social network or Inception, Hurt locker over Avatar, Slumdog millionaire, etc... Expand
  79. Nov 16, 2011
    I would have never imagined a movie whose focus is the dialogue would be so great. Writers and screenplay directors here are geniuses. Pacing is great, ending is great!
  80. j30
    Nov 13, 2011
    Pretty blown away by this movie. It connects with it's audience on an intellectual and emotional level. It's a movie you need to keep digging into it's depths and in turn, the film will dug into you. Brad Pitt stars in his best role since Babel and should be considered for an Oscar.
  81. Nov 10, 2011
    The film is hard to describe. I think the best word is "great". It's not as good as Aaron Sorkin's last writing achievement, "The Social Network", but it still is a hilarious and shocking screenplay. Brad Pitt basically carries the film, with his wingman being Jonah Hill. The other cast members provide chuckles, and it's basically a great film from the writer of "Social Network" and the original writer of "The Blind Side". Oh, and for Brad-Pitt-Action-Star fans, he does throw chairs around. Expand
  82. Nov 10, 2011
    THIS IS THE **** Movie EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  83. Nov 10, 2011
    I absolutely loved this movie, as a fan of baseball, I can appreciate this movie. I get the point of this movie when mos people don't. You have to like baseball though. The feel of the movie had it down pact. The actors did their part so well that you could tell the distress and the sense of urgency that they needed when the going got rough. Brad Pitt continues to impress with perfect emotion, as well as Jonah Hill making good work of his supporting actor role. Expand
  84. JFK
    Nov 9, 2011
    I know little to nothing about baseball and was deeply moved by this film. This movie is, for me, about failure.

How to embrace the success that can come from lessons learned through failure?

Brad Pitt is on a roll of fine, strong performances and fills the space of Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
  85. Nov 6, 2011
    Read my full review at: http://themuddoctor.blogspot.com/2011/11/moneyball.html
    Bennett Millerâ
  86. Nov 4, 2011
    we cant tell this is a great film.....but there is some reality in this film and in case of brad he acted well....
    Director should expect Oscar nominations: Best Cinematography, maybe even Best Picture. Who Knows?Well what can i say?
  87. Oct 31, 2011
    this' a boring movie ever! the movie was too long for nothing.this movie almost caused me to fall asleep, they used 50 million dollar for nothing, this' the most worst and terrible movie that i've ever seen in my life.
  88. Oct 27, 2011
    While the book was made more dramatic for film and concentrated more on the relationship building of Billy Beane and a fictional account of his assistant, Paul DePodesta and others into a new composite character, Peter Brand, Moneyball hits every element of a good baseball movie where it should. Right in the heart. A key line in the film is, "It's hard not to be romantic about baseball." Being a die-hard baseball fan, it's hard not only to not get romantic about baseball, but it's also hard not to be romantic about stories like this. While based on a true story, written by Michael Lewis to explain the sabermatic approach that Billy began taking with his previous GM (when he was an assistant), and continued on with Paul, the movie never mentioned the previous GM and began the story of using the sabermatic method after meeting the fictional Peter Brand, played by Jonah Hill. The acting is the best I've seen Brad Pitt do. He was a great fit for this role and I can see why he produced it. He must have thought the same thing. I've heard Oscar buzz about it, but I don't see it carrying that far. He certainly deserves it more than for the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Jonah Hill plays seemingly the same character he does in every movie, and does it well. And Philip Seymour Hoffman is perfect as a generic portrayal of uncooperative manager, Art Howe, a portrayal in the film and book that the real Art Howe has heavily criticized and blames Beane's disregard for him. Aaron Sorkin brings his skills as a co-writer of the screenplay to dramatize the story very well and make it palatable for non-sports fans, but for those die-hards like me, Moneyball hits all the right places. Expand
  89. MJT
    Oct 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the movie and Brad Pitt is excellent. The problem I have with the movie is I have the disadvantage of actually knowing something about the 2002 Oakland A's. The film is dishonest because it willfully overstates the impact of a few baseball scrubs and completely ignores the great players the A's already had. Not only that it willfully misrepresents the fact that Jeremy Giambi (Jason Giambi's brother) played in 124 games for the A's the year before in 2001! He wasn't a new discovery. How could the filmmaker not even mention that the A's had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball in 2001 and they were back for 2002: Barry Zito won 23 games in 2001 and won the Cy Young Award as the league's best pitcher, Mark Mulder won 19 games, Tim Hudson won 15 games. They are literally never mentioned in the film! Miguel Tejada is barely mentioned and he was the League MVP batting over .300 with 34 home runs and 131 runs batted in. Eric Chavez is never mentioned and he hit 34 homers and drove in 109 runs. David Justice, meanwhile, was kind of a wash out and Scott Hatteberg was important to the team--but, certainly there was already a key group of players in place. Also, the concept of on base percentage was not new...and the previous A's general manager Sandy Alderson was instrumental in using statistical analysis before Billy Beane arrived. And, Johnny Damon had had a terrible 2001 season, so letting him go was not without reason anyway. Also, the Minnesota Twins, who beat the A's in the playoffs, had virtually an identical small payroll and continued to be a more competitive team than the A's over the next decade. So, my main problem with the film is not to say that the "moneyball" approach didn't do anything for the A's--it did. But, it didn't do everything and they were not alone in using statistical analysis to discover value. But, that's Hollywood--overstating and making things black and white is their specialty. Brad Pitt is really getting to be a much better actor as he ages though--he's excellent in the movie. Expand
  90. Oct 21, 2011
    See-it - Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's, in not only one of the best sports movies ever made, but also one of the best films of the year. Don't miss this smart, funny, well-written and well-acted film just because it's about baseball -- because the Academy sure won't.
  91. Oct 18, 2011
    It's obvious Aaron Sorkin had influence on this film, and his writing, Pitt and Hill's performances make Moneyball entertaining. I loved it coming out of the theatre, but days later I now don't like it as much, the story was uneven, especially in the end. The buzz about Jonah Hill is true; he may deserve an Oscar nomination, but Seymour Hoffman gives another exuberant performance. Worth seeing, but probably not on the big screen. Expand
  92. Oct 17, 2011
    Going into Moneyball, I had heard nothing about the movie. I hadn't seen any trailers and had no idea it was even about baseball. In other words, I went in with a pretty open mind. When the movie started up I noticed that it had a very slow and mellow pace, and getting used to this was a bit of a problem, since most of the movies coming out these days are either horror movies or action packed thrillers. Once I got used to the pace however, this movie just got better and better. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, and I'm not even a baseball fan. There's just something about how it all unfolds, and how the characters bounce of each other that left me speechless. This is a must see movie for anybody, it might just be the best one to come out for a long time. Expand
  93. Oct 16, 2011
    Los guiones extraídos de situaciones cotidianas y reales son complicados: requieren de una delgada línea que separen los hechos reales de la añadidura que brinde a los espectadores algo un poco más fantástico e interesante para mantener un ánimo importante mientras se observan.

MONEYBALL es un drama
    biográfico que nos ofrece una serie de lecciones afortunadamente para el punto de vista de cada individuo, ya que carece de un mensaje digerido y esto permite ver la historia desde la objetiva lente de Bennett Miller, cuya originalidad en la dirección le brinda a la película un ambiente nublado y cadente que resulta atinado.

El guión despega lentamente y para algunos públicos puede resultar cansado, pero la moraleja final vale la pena la decadencia, ya que Miller remata con una muy atinada combinación de música-letra-mensaje que deja al público con un buen sabor de boca. Cabe destacar también del guión su apegamiento a los hechos en la vida de Billy Beane y el manejo de los mismos para la pantalla grande, el personaje es visto desde diversos puntos de vista y construido a base de situaciones cotidianas y momentos de relativa poca importancia que brindan la oportunidad del público para conocer a la persona en todas sus aristas.

Billy Beane es interpretado de forma integral y certera por un Brad Pitt despreocupado y profesional. La actuación seguramente retumbará en las nominaciones como fue el momento de Sandra Bullock con THE BLIND SIDE, y seguramente estará apoyado por los valores que representa el personaje aunque el remate final no sea el final que se esperaría en este tipo de películas. Con un remate importante que invita a la opinión y dosis equilibradas de comedia dentro de la cotidianidad, este filme es una reflexión atinada cuya revisión puede pasarse por alto y quedar en espera para disfrutarla en la sala de su casa a la renta.
  94. Oct 15, 2011
    Enjoyable, behind-the-scenes look (even if slightly over dramatized) of the inner workings of a GM. As a baseball purist, I wasn't offended and that's tough to do when Hollywood takes the reigns. Pitt carries it. Amazing what happens when films focus on the character driving the plot and not vice versa.
  95. Oct 15, 2011
    Despite my initial expectations for Moneyball, it, in the end, emerges as a triumphant and engaging film. This film has been getting Oscar buzz for the last couple of months because it is Aaron Sorkinâ
  96. Oct 14, 2011
    A different type of movie, but great for anyone who has any interest in sports or statistics, didn't over dramatize the story, very well done. Great acting, a must watch for any Bay Area native or sports enthusiast
  97. Oct 13, 2011
    If you follow Major League Baseball at all then you know who the New York Yankees are. They are the best that money can buy and that is probably why you either love or hate them. The Yankees can afford anyone at any time because their pockets are deep and their budget is endless. But then there are teams like the Oakland Athletics, a much smaller and way cheaper team in the MLB. And they shouldnâ Expand
  98. Oct 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Last night I went to Moneyball. I have heard and seen nothing but positive reviews from those who have seen it thus far. It was okay but curiously, for effect no doubt, devoid of any passion or emotion except when Brad threw things around the clubhouse or at home. Everyone spoke very mannerly and low key, very consciously, except for the coach Billy Beane fired who showed a little genuine passion. Perhaps the fact that all was connected to objective, detached statistics on baseball players they decided to play the movie that way, devoid of passion. Personally, I had more passion in teaching one class than was evident in that whole movie. However, having said that, it was an okay rendering of the information on using stats like on-base percentage to determine a players inherent worth to a team. Still, it is very over-rated! Expand
  99. Oct 12, 2011
    The movie is well made and has just the right amount of baseball, for those who don't want a 'baseball' flick. The story is well-adapted and benefits from the constraints of a real-life situation, hence the lack of hollywood ending (which I appreciated.) However, I think that Brad Pitt wasn't the best choice for the lead role. He isn't bad per se, but is a bit too much like the Brad we see in other movies. I left the theatre thinking that the pace and content of this show made it more like a TV movie, if that makes sense to anyone. It just lacked that 'wow' factor on some level. In spite of all this, the movie makes you feel good and for that reason I'd recommend it to most. Expand
  100. Oct 10, 2011
    Really enjoyed this movie. It was a sports movie, but not your typical formula. I thought it had a ton of references that only a hardcore baseball fan would understand, but saw the movie with someone who knows nothing about baseball and they still enjoyed it and got it. Really think Brad Pitt was perfect for this role. He's usually solid in everything, but this might be one of his best performances. Truly believed him as Billy Beane. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 21, 2011
    You don't need to understand anything of baseball to get behind this, a chest-swelling story about second chances and flipping a finger up (even a giant foam one) to The Man.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 26, 2011
    Statistics and their alleged true meaning are at the heart of Moneyball, but it's also one of the most soulful of baseball movies - it confronts the anguish of a tough game.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Sep 23, 2011
    Moneyball presents a misleading story line in order to prop up Billy Beane as some kind of would-be miracle worker antihero. In truth, he's just another tobacco-chewing go-getter trying to make sense of a game that, thankfully, has never quite made sense.