7.3

1. Jan 8, 2011
    thought it was going to be all about the conquests and wars of Genghis Khan; about how he build his empire. Wrooong. It was solely about uninteresting events of his life that MAY have led him to become a great leader. You'll learn nothing about Genghis Khan that you really want to know about, for sure. AWFUL MOVIE!! not at all historically correct... RIP! This movies makes a falsethought it was going to be all about the conquests and wars of Genghis Khan; about how he build his empire. Wrooong. It was solely about uninteresting events of his life that MAY have led him to become a great leader. You'll learn nothing about Genghis Khan that you really want to know about, for sure. AWFUL MOVIE!! not at all historically correct... RIP! This movies makes a false impression about Genghis Khan! Expand
  2. Jan 30, 2011
    I find this movie to be an utter piece of trash . It was not entertaining , neither educational , concerning the history of Genghis Khan , it was a chaotic mixture of scenes , most of which do not make any logical sense , I mean seriously , you just cut the best part of it where he becomes khan for what ? Some random scenes of ... worshiping wolves and walking in the steppes , I mean halfI find this movie to be an utter piece of trash . It was not entertaining , neither educational , concerning the history of Genghis Khan , it was a chaotic mixture of scenes , most of which do not make any logical sense , I mean seriously , you just cut the best part of it where he becomes khan for what ? Some random scenes of ... worshiping wolves and walking in the steppes , I mean half the movie is someone walking ... really ... really ? .... Oh and the fighting scenes could have been ALOT better . I'm even more dissapointed because of the hype around this ... well , "average" would be too much to say about it , but this .... Uhhh ... Expand
  3. ChadS.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Some people are so well-known, or infamous, or both, when you portray them in a before-they-were-famous light, you invite unintentional laughter. For example, Menno Meyjes' "Max", which chronicled Adolph Hitler's days as a struggling painter in Munich. A man such as Hitler, so synonymous with evil, is nearly impossible to humanize. When the John Cusack character tells the Some people are so well-known, or infamous, or both, when you portray them in a before-they-were-famous light, you invite unintentional laughter. For example, Menno Meyjes' "Max", which chronicled Adolph Hitler's days as a struggling painter in Munich. A man such as Hitler, so synonymous with evil, is nearly impossible to humanize. When the John Cusack character tells the Fuhrer, "You're an awfully hard man to like, Hitler," you flinch, you may even wince, because some lives might be unfilmable if the notion of a character arc seems like pure folly. Genghis Khan might be another such man, whose reputation for murder and mayhem is equally infamous and pronounced. Perhaps Mel Gibson is the only filmmaker who would be willing to make an honest film about the Mongol leader. This sanitized version of the life and times of Genghis Khan, or Temudgin, to the people who knew him way back when, plays like a western from the nineteen-fifties. Khan should be an anti-hero at best, but he's practically John Wayne in "Mongol", as the film portrays him as a man who has not an ounce of moral ambiguity or cold-blooded ruthlessness. Expand
  4. Hemispheres
    Jul 3, 2008
    Genghis Khan's reputation is more positive in the East than it is here in the West, where his very name is synonymous with mindless, rampaging violence. This film is supposedly the first of a trilogy of the Khan's life and is relatively light on exposition and high on drama. It's fun and fairly mindless entertainment with charismatic performances, especially from Honglei Genghis Khan's reputation is more positive in the East than it is here in the West, where his very name is synonymous with mindless, rampaging violence. This film is supposedly the first of a trilogy of the Khan's life and is relatively light on exposition and high on drama. It's fun and fairly mindless entertainment with charismatic performances, especially from Honglei Sun, whose glittering performance jumps from the screen. On a side note: In my opinion the following line from another review is really, really funny: "Perhaps Mel Gibson is the only filmmaker who would be willing to make an honest film about the Mongol leader." Expand
  5. ErnestS.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Amazing movie! completely entertaining and satisfyingly educational. After completing this film I was inspired to find out more information about genghis khan's empire and family. Everyone should see this, its just great.
  6. BillB.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Mongol started out with a lot of promise and for the first half hour I thought I was watching a really great film. Unfortunately, the film quickly gets repetitive. Looking at my watch, I realized nearly two hours had passed and the story was into its third repetition of the same subplot. How are they going to wrap this up? I wondered. I got the answer - a major fast forward and a boring Mongol started out with a lot of promise and for the first half hour I thought I was watching a really great film. Unfortunately, the film quickly gets repetitive. Looking at my watch, I realized nearly two hours had passed and the story was into its third repetition of the same subplot. How are they going to wrap this up? I wondered. I got the answer - a major fast forward and a boring final battle. At best, Mongol is worth a matinee and I think mostly positive critical reviews are based on the "since it's foreign it must be good" mentality. Expand
    Jun 6, 2008
    The real, less sympathetic, Ghengis Khan seems far more interesting that the PR filtered one presented here. Stylized, but only to the point of mediocrity, the films visuals are adequete but effects substandard. Don't bother with it. Stay home and rent Gladiator or Braveheart is you need a historical epic.
  8. RyanS.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Chad S. from the advance scout team must be a typical westerner who thinks Genghis Khan was just a mindless murderer, like another review said, his reputation is more positive in the east than in the west. Someone might as well make a movie that emphasizes all the bad and awful things George Bush has done.
  9. MichaelB.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's sort of like Braveheart with Asian people instead of Scots, but with maybe a fifth of the action. I would definitely recommend it if you have an interest in history (especially in that of Khan himself), but if you're looking for a huge action flick, this just isn't it.
  10. JulianP.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It was excellent, who ever said that only alexander the great had feelings and cared for his family. It is always good to show the human side of tyrants.
  11. JayH.
    Oct 12, 2008
    7.5/10. Magnificent production, the cinematography and art direction is amazing. Great acting and direction, believably told and very convincing. It does have some slow stretches and it is overlong, but well worth seeing.
  12. RH
    Jun 22, 2008
    Incredible movie! Far beyond anything Hollywood is making any more. It is particularly refreshing to see battle scenes with thousands of real people... instead of CGI. It makes a huge difference! Everything about this movie is impressive. Location scenes are incredible. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go. I can't wait for the next installment. I wish there were more movies Incredible movie! Far beyond anything Hollywood is making any more. It is particularly refreshing to see battle scenes with thousands of real people... instead of CGI. It makes a huge difference! Everything about this movie is impressive. Location scenes are incredible. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go. I can't wait for the next installment. I wish there were more movies of this quality! Expand
  13. Tj
    Jun 23, 2008
    I really don't know what the people giving this a low rating are talking about. Go see the movie on the big screen. It is beautifully shot and the acting is first rate. If you really want amazing special effects, then go to a different film. But, if you want to see a film that is sometimes slow (it isn't that slow!) but images and faces that will stay in your mind, I say go to I really don't know what the people giving this a low rating are talking about. Go see the movie on the big screen. It is beautifully shot and the acting is first rate. If you really want amazing special effects, then go to a different film. But, if you want to see a film that is sometimes slow (it isn't that slow!) but images and faces that will stay in your mind, I say go to the theater. Expand
  14. EvanT.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Think of 300, except refer to it as cakewalk when discussing this movie.
  15. Gus
    Jun 30, 2008
    Excellent historical epic with great use of visual imagery and symbolic metaphors. Solid storytelling and great, if not short, choreographed battle scenes.
  16. OlegM.
    Jun 8, 2008
    Boooring. Looong. The guy whose descendants account for 1% of planet's population (and who is responsible for maybe 2% decline in population) is depicted as a lyrical faithful lovver and adoring dadda. Weak, pretentious piece. Not that we expected much, but come on.
  17. RobertI.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Made for a wide screen, the Mongolian steppe serves as backdrop for ambition and worlds to conquer. We veer through the battles, which erupt and evanesce like thunderstorms, hoping to see the great Khan seated on his throne. When will part Two debut?
  18. TheoB
    Jun 26, 2008
    All I can say is, "You can't cook two ram heads in the same pot".
  19. MartinM.
    Jun 28, 2008
    I thought it was going to be all about the conquests and wars of Genghis Khan; about how he build his empire. Wrooong. It was solely about uninteresting events of his life that MAY have led him to become a great leader. You'll learn nothing about Genghis Khan that you really want to know about, for sure.

1. Reviewed by: Will Lawrence
    With its breathtaking landscapes, bloody battles, bitter betrayals and an aching love story, Mongol is a sumptuously crafted epic.
  2. Reviewed by: Alissa Simon
    This Central Asia-set historical epic from Russian helmer Sergei Bodrov ("Nomad") boasts breathtaking landscapes, dazzling cinematography, bloody battles and unique traditions.
  3. Reviewed by: Jim Ridley
    Last year's Academy Award nominee from Kazakhstan for Best Foreign Film, Mongol is purportedly the first in a multi-film saga on the wrath of Khan; as such, it's probably the last thing you'd expect--great fun.