7.9

1. MichaelS.
    Oct 9, 2002
    A Very beautiful feel good movie about romance, passion and betrayel. With a funny and swinging soundtrack. One of the best foreign films I've ever seen!
  2. JasyS.
    May 22, 2002
    Family Drama, MUST SEE!
  3. JudithD.
    Jun 6, 2002
    Lovely imagery, good acting, wonderful music, interesting. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Apr 5, 2003
    Colorful, enjoyable, great movie.
  5. PaulD.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Interesting & entertaining mix of comedy, drama, music, dance and travelogue. I liked the performances and attention to details that brings the movie alive.
  6. ChadS.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Marigold is the new rose. Vijay Raaz out-Lloyds Cusack in a woo-the-girl scene that is more unabashedly romantic than any movie moment in recent memory. Raaz and the insanely catchy song that accompanies the bridal shower are just two reasons to see "Monsoon Wedding". Unfortunately though, there's golf courses in Dehli too.
  7. JochenL.
    May 1, 2002
    I agree totally with the comment of Michael Atkinson in the VILLAGE VOICE. At the end the stereotypes were really boring.
  8. PaulaW.
    Jun 14, 2002
    A feast for the eyes and the heart. If this is soap opera, then bring on the suds!
  9. Robynn
    Jul 14, 2002
    Exquisite colours; infectious music; likeable characters. This has quickly become one of my favourite movies!
  10. MaryJoM.
    Jul 3, 2002
    I want to go to this party!
  11. LanceE.
    Oct 9, 2004
    It's funny how most Indian people are rating this low while non-Indians are rating it very high. I think the problem is (and it's a funny problem), that Indians have seen many movies like this, so it doesn't really stand out in their minds, but for those non-Indians who are exposed to this side of Indian culture for the first time, find it strange and exotic, and because It's funny how most Indian people are rating this low while non-Indians are rating it very high. I think the problem is (and it's a funny problem), that Indians have seen many movies like this, so it doesn't really stand out in their minds, but for those non-Indians who are exposed to this side of Indian culture for the first time, find it strange and exotic, and because they have seldom, if ever, been exposed to it, find it highly original, better than the average sucky movie Hollywood keeps churning out. I think it's the same thing in India; some probably prefer Hollywood movies there to Bollywood because they're bombarded with sucky Bollywood movies. Expand
  12. JadeC.
    Nov 25, 2002
    I loved every bit of the movie. Made me want to be a part a part of their family.
  13. MarcyM.
    Oct 5, 2002
    Wonderful film that brings to light the real (often avoided) profound impact of the life transition from childhood to adult hood through the protal of marriage. The difficulties of childhood and adolescence are faced openly by all of the cousins, and the complexities of adulthood - the good and the bad - are also revealed as the family's present and past collide and resolve. Wonderful film that brings to light the real (often avoided) profound impact of the life transition from childhood to adult hood through the protal of marriage. The difficulties of childhood and adolescence are faced openly by all of the cousins, and the complexities of adulthood - the good and the bad - are also revealed as the family's present and past collide and resolve. .......Rings true from the local cultural decor to the deeper universal truth of growing up and into marriage, and then on to dealing with the complex challenges of adult life. BRAVO! Expand
  14. ShekarS.
    Apr 28, 2002
    What a wonderful and uplifting movie, done with Mira Nair's characteristic sensitivity. I could almost smell the curries and hear the background noises of Delhi!
  15. DeepG.
    May 12, 2002
    Prodded by my English teacher, I saw this movie on DVD with the expectation of being bored out of my mind. However, after getting over the initial dislike for the casual photography and the absence of gorgeous sets and glamour, I found the story to be very realistic, sensitive, and down-to-earth. It's the true portrayal of a lower-middle-class family in modern India and addresses Prodded by my English teacher, I saw this movie on DVD with the expectation of being bored out of my mind. However, after getting over the initial dislike for the casual photography and the absence of gorgeous sets and glamour, I found the story to be very realistic, sensitive, and down-to-earth. It's the true portrayal of a lower-middle-class family in modern India and addresses real life issues in a very touching way. Though simple and relatively low-budget, this movie really does stay on your mind and emphasizes the importance of honesty, simplicity, and the joy and sorrows within family. Expand
  16. OliverP.
    May 17, 2002
    Endearing characters, a few touching moments, a disturbing one (pedophilia), and much good cheer otherwise. Entrancing music and dancing. Hard to sort out who is who.
  17. JTM.
    May 3, 2002
    Awe inspiring, awesome movie, gives a delightful insight into Indian culture. Wonderful acting.
  18. BobS.
    Jun 6, 2002
    The music drove me crazy, and I'm a big music lover
  19. SoniaM.
    Apr 21, 2003
    I dont see what the big deal was about this movie. there are other bollywood movies with much better actors/actresses. this thing was slow and boring...
  20. TimothyD.
    Jan 28, 2006
    A kaleidoscpic blend of elements, the whole surpassing the individual parts. I can understand why parts of the story may have struck some as dog-eared, but it all fit together for me, the movie's energy and spirit (and music!) carrying me from the first frame to the last.
  21. JaspreetS.
    Feb 10, 2006
    One of the most enjoyable movies to come out of india lately. Love that Mir. Dubey.
  22. AbyB.
    Mar 5, 2006
    Very predictable story line. Movie is too slow , no clear cuts... Random takes.
  23. LouisS.
    Nov 11, 2002
    One of the most beautiful movies I've seen in recent times. Captivating and colorful. The music itself is phenomenal, a true reflection of reality and the modern indian lifestyle.
  24. CarlW.
    Nov 25, 2002
    Excellent movie, great soundtrack, and I'm not even Indian! Nair is so REAL it's almost sickening, but she shares a world that anyone can relate to.
  25. LeslieH.
    Nov 9, 2002
    It's colorful and has magical music, but I don't what was so feel-good about it , funny about it, and most of the time it was just plain boring.
  26. MargaretS.
    May 26, 2002
    I find myself asking why the filmmaker added the pedophiliac uncle. He got away with his abuse in the previous generation, but his former victim stops it from occuring again --- the wrenching dilemma that the father of the bride must face is whether to back her up or not. Could this be the old India vs a new India --- one which casts off the last vestiges of colonialism/abuse?
  27. DesiB.
    Jun 22, 2002
    An Indian movie with "phoren eyes"...why are Indian movies either unmitigated fantasies or ugly truths...the poverty of pather panchali...or the dirty secrets of mira nair movies... why the second largest film industry in the world can't come up with decent movies in a land full of wonderful literature and excellent contemporary writers...till then we have to do with these kind of An Indian movie with "phoren eyes"...why are Indian movies either unmitigated fantasies or ugly truths...the poverty of pather panchali...or the dirty secrets of mira nair movies... why the second largest film industry in the world can't come up with decent movies in a land full of wonderful literature and excellent contemporary writers...till then we have to do with these kind of movies...it gives you a realistic peep into the Indian Punjabi Society...the characters are not well developed...and I did not find the movie as good as critics claimed...but the audience really liked it ...as for Mira Nair...she has not yet made anything as good as Missisipi Masala. Expand
  28. DavidB.
    Jun 28, 2002
    One of the very few films that I have ever given a 10 to. I thought it had hints of a Robert Altman film.
  29. SheetalO.
    Nov 12, 2003
    The rest of the world finds it practically impossible to understand what it means to be Indian, to be caught between two worlds, two cultures, and as an Indian I can tell you that Monsoon Wedding is the only film ever made that has been able to expose the heart and soul of a beautiful, diverse subcontinent in the process of globalization. This movie gets a definite full score for The rest of the world finds it practically impossible to understand what it means to be Indian, to be caught between two worlds, two cultures, and as an Indian I can tell you that Monsoon Wedding is the only film ever made that has been able to expose the heart and soul of a beautiful, diverse subcontinent in the process of globalization. This movie gets a definite full score for projecting a realistic image of life in India. The cast and crew have done a fabulous job, and kudos to Shefali Shetty and Naseeruddin Shah for roles played to perfection. Mira Nair is definitely something else and this film deserves every bit of hype it has received. Oh yeah, and the P.K Dubey-Alice affair has got to be one of the most adorable love stories around!!! Expand
  30. MikaF.
    Feb 11, 2003
    It is not the foreseeable plot that entertains you, but the interaction and tension ocurring from generataion / cultural / social gap which is described in such an amusing way. Great entertainment as well as a heart warming drama.
  31. PamC.
    Jul 27, 2003
    This is a sumptuous, wonderful movie with full characters that draw us into their stories. It is simply told with a light heartedness, tenderness and integrity seldom portrayed. It made my laugh, cry, smile and took my breath away with its beauty.
  32. NusratA.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Stinks..dont know why ppl liked it so much.
  33. GlennaH.
    Nov 13, 2002
    Thoroughly enjoyable!
  34. FrancesG.
    Dec 23, 2002
    I wish I had seen this movie on the big screen, but even on video it was a lovely, captivating peek into another culture. The storylines were not deep and earthshattering, but being drawn in to an "alien" family halfway across the globe was a thrill.
  35. Apr 3, 2013
    Monsoon Wedding is very colourful, happy and romantic. The film is a very nice family movie about a typical punjabi family. The laughs are good and the acting is even good. The story delivers good time pass interesting hooking up film hint of lore. Lovely imagery and very good collection of songs. Vijay Razz as DubeyJi is very funny and the captions help you understand what the comedy isMonsoon Wedding is very colourful, happy and romantic. The film is a very nice family movie about a typical punjabi family. The laughs are good and the acting is even good. The story delivers good time pass interesting hooking up film hint of lore. Lovely imagery and very good collection of songs. Vijay Razz as DubeyJi is very funny and the captions help you understand what the comedy is about. There are so many reasons to watch Monsoon Wedding- from the Rain to everyone falling in love. When it rains it pours for this family! I agree with Roger Ebert- this is the type of movie people tell their friends to see. Expand

1. Eminently disposable, but that's its charm. It stays with you just long enough to make you smile.
    One of those joyous films that leaps over national boundaries and celebrates universal human nature.
  3. An air-conditioned bus tour of Punjabi ritual. Nair stuffs the film with dancing, henna, ornamentation, and group song, but her narrative clichés and telegraphed episodes smell of old soap opera.