Monsters, Inc.

8.7

1. Dec 27, 2015
    Monsters, Inc. has basically captured what Pixar did. It's watchable and the best for you and your family! Although not able to express the feelings of the original Toy Story and 2, but it's still great!
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    A fun, intelligent film disguised as a kids movie, but really is a great movie to watch for all ages. The voice acting is great and the laughs are there, as well as some mild scares for the kids. It's genius.
  3. Mar 26, 2011
    A fantastic movie that has a touching story, fantastic characters, and a lot of humor, one of the best animated movies for kids of all time, a must watch.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Excellently animated and voice acted, "Monsters Inc." is yet another reason why Pixar is the king daddy of noteworthy animated movie storytelling.
  5. Mar 30, 2012
    Monster inc may not be as good as the other pixar's movies but is still done in a brillant way with funny jokes and a great moral for all while appealing to the our past about the monster in the closet.
  6. Sep 29, 2011
    "Monsters Inc." is the milestone animation of Pixar's big debut to the 21st century. As expecting, the film is amazing, containing good morals that audience of every age can understand and appeal. Two thumbs up!!!
  7. Jul 4, 2013
    Won of the first and the best of the Pixar films. Really entertaining characters that are enjoyable for kids and adults. Also perfect voice casting with Billy Crystal and John Goodman.
  8. Mar 19, 2014
    monsters inc is better then monsters university . how ? because its a monsterific animated film . A film by peter doctor who created toy story and wall-e .
  9. Sep 2, 2012
    Such an incredibly creative story, that is so exciting to watch. It was funny, sad, and heartwarming. Very imaginative and well executed. Pixar is the master's at what they do.
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is perhaps the most heart-warming film that Pixar has created. Mike and Sulley work at Monsters Inc., where their jobs are to scare children to create electricity for the monster world. When a child escapes into the monster world for the first time in history, Mike and Sulley must help her get home safely Expand
  11. Jul 21, 2015
    PIXAR was pounding again, this time with the story of monsters that work to scare children , but the monsters are really fancy but excellent film pure and argument
  12. Oct 31, 2010
    it doesn't have the same sophistication as Toy Story, but still its an awesome Pixar movie!
  13. Aug 29, 2013
    The heart of the movie and it's comedic dynamic duo make this an amazing story of how anyone can find love in the things that everyone fears. Loved this movie, and I've watched multiple times.
  14. May 17, 2013
    I am mixed on this movie. On one end I think it is a great kids film. The story is simple and easy to follow. There is an imaginative concept behind the Monsters world. The characters are likeable. Plus, the animation is great giving us a bright and colorful world. On the other hand, this film does not offer much for an older audience. The story does not have much too it and the charactersI am mixed on this movie. On one end I think it is a great kids film. The story is simple and easy to follow. There is an imaginative concept behind the Monsters world. The characters are likeable. Plus, the animation is great giving us a bright and colorful world. On the other hand, this film does not offer much for an older audience. The story does not have much too it and the characters are simple, both lacking the sosphistication of later Pixar films and Toy Story although I have not seen the original in a while so I cannot say that. So I will wrap up my review with this. If you have little kids and you are looking for something fun and safe to show them, show them this film they will probably love it like I did back when I first saw the film in first grade. However, if you are looking for animated film with some sophistication then you might want to look elsewhere. While Monsters Inc. is a great kids film it is an ok film. Given the weak performance of Cars 2, which is for babies, and Brave, which was consisted mostly of an unoriginal story with only the last third being interesting, I am worried that Monsters University will be another film for the kiddies as opposed to the people who saw the original as kids and are now adults and/or in college. Expand
  15. Jan 16, 2012
    Monster's Inc is extremely heartwarming and original along with mostly going for laughs the whole time which it most definitely does. And the film may scare some children but overall it is fantastic. I give this film 86%.
  16. Nov 4, 2013
    Monsters, Inc. is one of the cutest and most original movies Disney Pixar has made. It is a nearly perfect family film that children can be entertained by and parents and adults can relate to. Goodman and Crystal are golden as the main characters and Boo is just adorable. The only thing I can say I wish they did was give Sully and Mike even more screen time. This is a must watch if youMonsters, Inc. is one of the cutest and most original movies Disney Pixar has made. It is a nearly perfect family film that children can be entertained by and parents and adults can relate to. Goodman and Crystal are golden as the main characters and Boo is just adorable. The only thing I can say I wish they did was give Sully and Mike even more screen time. This is a must watch if you enjoy these types of films. Expand
  17. Jun 6, 2012
    Monsters, Inc. is film animation at its most heart-warming, poignant and hilarious. The film is not just a simple, pretty diversion to keep the young ones quiet for 90 minutes, but an incredibly clever, multi-faceted film for all ages. It's a buddy movie, it's a work-based sitcom, an imaginative fantasy film, and most pleasingly a biting and intelligent satire on both the world energyMonsters, Inc. is film animation at its most heart-warming, poignant and hilarious. The film is not just a simple, pretty diversion to keep the young ones quiet for 90 minutes, but an incredibly clever, multi-faceted film for all ages. It's a buddy movie, it's a work-based sitcom, an imaginative fantasy film, and most pleasingly a biting and intelligent satire on both the world energy crisis and the over-exposure of children to increasingly horrific images in the modern world. Inventively, the monster city is not powered by electricity, gas and oil, but by children's screams, which the workers of Monsters Incorporated, dubbed "scarers" are tasked with collecting by going through portals into the human world, portals which appear as closet doors in the bedrooms of children. The monster world is facing an energy shortage due to the fact that kids "just don't get scared like they used to", resulting in some monsters resorting to increasingly drastic and amoral techniques to extract childrens' screams. The cast all give sterling vocal performances - John Goodman's hairy soft-hearted giant Sulley and Billy Crystal's minuscule green cyclops Mike make a great comedy double-act, Steve Buscemi's reptilian villain Randall is appropriately slimy and conniving, and the staggeringly multi-talented animator/writer/director/occasional actor Bob Peterson voices the cynical slug-secretary-from-hell Roz, and never fails to raise a smile. Monsters, Inc. gets the balance between vastly differing moods just right, with cuteness (Sulley's adorable father-daughter relationship with Boo), humour (anything said or done by Mike) and darkness (Randall's unsavory evil master plan) all given equal service throughout the film by director Pete Doctor and the multiple writers. I also challenge anyone who's in possession of a working heart not to blub at the film's bittersweet, utterly heartbreaking finale. This might provoke considerable debate amongst Pixar devotees (as the vast majority of the studio's output is jolly good, afterall) but I say that Monsters, Inc., while only being the fourth film released, is the very best work the animation powerhouse has produced thus far. It's truly Pixar's finest hour not only due to its flawless technical craftsmanship, but because of its abundance of heart and soul. Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2015
    One thing about Pixar's movies that are true to this day is their trailers do absolutely no justice for the film. There's so much depth and artistry in Pixar's work it's amazing that they have yet to falter after all of these years.
  19. Dec 2, 2013
    I'll be honest, I have a soft spot for this movie. Monsters Inc. isn't my favorite Pixar movie, and I do have my gripes with it. But on the whole I just found it utterly charming.

It's funny and sad. Carefree and serious. Slow and fast paced. Monsters Inc. really does try to do everything, but for the most part I think this is the movie's downside. It's trying so hard to do everything, that it kind of has your emotions all over the place. Making it difficult to fixate on how you are supposed to feel.

Boo is perhaps the most adorable animated child EVER! Crystal & Goodman do a great job and deliver non stop laughs.

Overall:
    Monsters Inc. is perhaps the funniest of all the Pixar movies and still retains the Pixar magic of family friendly storytelling (even with monsters.) I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and will continue to do so every time I watch it.

Side Note:
    Pixar's "bloopers" are by far the star of each Pixar film, a real shame they don't do them anymore.
  20. Apr 6, 2013
    These classic pixar movies take me back, such as Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo and this one is no exception. Monster's Inc is truly one of the most fun of all the Pixar movies. It's not only a fun adventure into a new world beyond our's, but it also really captures heart (just like most Pixar movies). To me ,(just like the earlier Toy Story movies) this is a movie that i grew upThese classic pixar movies take me back, such as Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo and this one is no exception. Monster's Inc is truly one of the most fun of all the Pixar movies. It's not only a fun adventure into a new world beyond our's, but it also really captures heart (just like most Pixar movies). To me ,(just like the earlier Toy Story movies) this is a movie that i grew up watching almost every single day. It's a fun movie for both kids and adults. Plus, I can't wait for "Monster's University" coming out this summer. Overall, it's a classic Pixar movie that truly should not be taken lightly. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    It can't beat "Toy Story 3" or "Finding Nemo", but "Monsters Inc." is another well-animated Pixar delight. The only problem with this film is that the funny dialogues are not as effective as other Pixar masterpieces, and it becomes irrelevant at times. Still, this is definitely a worthy film to check out.
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    Monsters Inc scares animation into reality.
    Pixar once again exceeds expectations with an unbelievably well crafted story of two monsters and a little girl. The voices of John Goodman and Billy Crystal excel the films creativeness to life.
  23. Dec 24, 2013
    Aside from the Toy Story series Monsters Inc is probably my favourite of all the Disney Pixar movies. Featuring a memorable cast of characters (as ever voiced by a superb cast) this is great fun for adults and kids of all ages.
  24. Nov 23, 2011
    It was actually rather good and interesting if you ask me. I enjoyed the film quite a bit. The only bad thing is that it can get rather boring towards the middle of the film but it ends perfectly.
  25. Apr 24, 2015
    Remember when, as a child, you used to fear the monster under the bed or in the closet - how your parents would tell you to go to sleep, that it wasn't real? Monsters, Inc. confirms what every child really knows - the things that go bump in the night have more substance than silly grown ups recognize. Brought to the screen by the marriage of Disney and Pixar, Monsters, Inc. is the fourthRemember when, as a child, you used to fear the monster under the bed or in the closet - how your parents would tell you to go to sleep, that it wasn't real? Monsters, Inc. confirms what every child really knows - the things that go bump in the night have more substance than silly grown ups recognize. Brought to the screen by the marriage of Disney and Pixar, Monsters, Inc. is the fourth computer animated motion picture offspring of this union. Like its older siblings, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc. is a triumph of storytelling. Each new movie of this sort raises the bar a little more, and, while Monsters, Inc. doesn't eclipse Dreamworks' Shrek, it comes close.

There's a world out there, somewhere under the rainbow, where monsters live. The sprawling city where they go about their daily lives is called Monstropolis - a vast, bustling place populated by all sorts of misshapen creatures who would cause the average human child to crawl under the covers. Energy in Monstropolis comes from an unusual source - the screams of children. Employees working for mega-corporation Monsters, Inc. go through gateways into the bedroom of human kids on Earth, frighten them into screaming, capture the energy from the screams, and convert it to electricity in Monstropolis. But, since children are becoming harder to scare, Monstropolis is facing a "scream shortage."

Everything that was true of the two Toy Story movies and A Bug's Life can be said about Monsters, Inc. - this is the kind of movie that works on multiple levels - as fast-moving, lively fun for children and as slyly written, visually impressive entertainment for adults. Monsters, Inc. is one of those rare family films that parents can enjoy (rather than endure) along with their kids. And childless individuals venturing into a theater showing this picture need not worry that they'll be viewed as deviants - Monsters, Inc. is capable of drawing audience members from across the age spectrum.

The older the viewer, the more in-jokes they'll get. Most everyone will appreciate the "Don't Stalk" street sign and the tabloid newspaper called "The Glob". But it will take someone with a little more sophistication than the average 10-year old to get a chuckle out of the club named "Harryhausen's". From a visual standpoint, Monsters, Inc. is a small step forward from Toy Story 2 in its variety, richness of design, and background detail. I say a "small step" because Toy Story 2 was strong in all of these areas - Monsters, Inc. is just a little better.

The great strength of the previous Pixar films, as well as Shrek, is that they offer a genuine emotional component that runs deeper than that of the run-of-the-mill animated feature. Such is the case here, where the attachment between burly Sulley and tiny Boo touches the heart. Part of it is because the animators have pulled out all the stops in making Boo shamelessly cute, but it does the job. The little girl brings out Sulley's soft side and smoothes some of Mike's rough edges. (As in Shrek, the animators opt to make the human characters somewhat "unreal", rather than going the Final Fantasy route and attempting to replicate actual human appearance.)

Monsters, Inc. manages to last 90 minutes without a single song. Too often, music has become a crutch in animated productions (rather than the asset it can be when used appropriately). The fact that Monsters, Inc. doesn't need Randy Newman songs sprinkled throughout (although there is one during the end credits) is a testimony to the strength of the writing and the vocal characterizations. John Goodman and Billy Crystal make for an effective odd couple (in a break from tradition, they recorded their parts together, rather than separately). James Coburn is suitably dignified as Henry J. Waternoose, the owner of Monsters, Inc. Jennifer Tilly lends her helium-like voice to Celia, Mike's girlfriend; Steve Buscemi is hardly recognizable as the diabolical Randall; and Mary Gibbs' baby-talk makes Boo all the more adorable.

Monsters, Inc. reaffirms the fact that a good animated film can be every bit as stimulating and emotionally satisfying a motion picture as a high quality live action endeavor. While this movie may threaten to be swamped by Harry Potter mania this fall, it definitely deserves to be seen. Young Mr. Potter may practice magic, but Monsters, Inc. is nothing short of enchanting.
  26. Apr 25, 2016
    Monsters inc uses inventive and interesting story-telling for keep the audience paged to the film, with colored and inventive characters. It also has a good beginning and a great end, as it should. Pete Docter gives us another great animated film that really deserves take part of Pixar universe and, of course, the Oscar.
  27. Apr 5, 2011
    In my opinion, this is probably the least memorable Pixar movie. But on its own, its a very good movie. Better than the other big animated movie released in the same year, Shrek.
  28. Jun 28, 2012
    A wildly imaginative story and film that is executed close to perfection. Like other pixar films Monsters inc will not just entertain the kids, but also their parents. Not pixar's best because of it's lack of pathos for it's characters, but still a very good and imaginative film.
  29. Sep 10, 2015
    Another instant classic from Pixar. Billy Crystal gives a wonderful performance as Mike Wasowski and it has some really moving moments that will bring a tear to even the most cynical person's eye. The story is intriguing and smart and Randall makes a good villain. Well done Pixar!
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    When you stop and consider the subject matter, you realise how gifted Pixar actually are in being able to turn a story about monsters hiding in children's closets to scare them into a funny and warm children's animation. Imagine if Tim Burton has got his hands onto the story!

Monsters, Inc. looks great and tells a hugely original story, however I did find that the film largely relies heavily on slapstick jokes, for the younger audience, and lacks more subtle jokes for adult appreciation that some other children's animations do successfully integrate.

John Goodman is perfectly cast as the gentle Scarer Sully while Billy Crystal, voicing Mike, does become frustratingly annoying as the irritatingly talkative one of the pair.

1. Washington Post
    Reviewed by: Rita Kempley
    Marvels of animation abound in Monsters, Inc. -- when it comes to irreverent humor and real heart, Monsters doesn't quite measure up.
    Confirms that despite all the technical tools at their disposal, one thing counts head and shoulders above razzle-dazzle eye candy (or anything else, for that matter): the story and characters, and Monsters, Inc. introduces worthy additions to the Pixar pantheon.
  3. But Monsters, Inc. -- directed by Pixar soldier Pete Docter, not by master digital comic John Lasseter -- turns out to be stingy on context, commentary, and the prism-ing view of pop culture that made the earlier films mint.