Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: November 2, 2001
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 471 Ratings
Watch Now
hacmiu36Feb 19, 2013
Beautiful, lovely, heart touching. There is a connection between Sullivan and Boo, a father- daughter coonection, nobody could think a monster could love and scared of a little human girl. You should watch this movies
sil3nt_nickMar 25, 2013
The all-time favorite movie of my childhood. I loved Billy Crystal and John Goodman's chemistry during the film, which made the story even better. The series of twists at the end will not disappoint it's viewers.
Movie1997Apr 6, 2013
These classic pixar movies take me back, such as Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo and this one is no exception. Monster's Inc is truly one of the most fun of all the Pixar movies. It's not only a fun adventure into a new world beyond our's,These classic pixar movies take me back, such as Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo and this one is no exception. Monster's Inc is truly one of the most fun of all the Pixar movies. It's not only a fun adventure into a new world beyond our's, but it also really captures heart (just like most Pixar movies). To me ,(just like the earlier Toy Story movies) this is a movie that i grew up watching almost every single day. It's a fun movie for both kids and adults. Plus, I can't wait for "Monster's University" coming out this summer. Overall, it's a classic Pixar movie that truly should not be taken lightly. Expand
JacobMay 17, 2013
I am mixed on this movie. On one end I think it is a great kids film. The story is simple and easy to follow. There is an imaginative concept behind the Monsters world. The characters are likeable. Plus, the animation is great giving us aI am mixed on this movie. On one end I think it is a great kids film. The story is simple and easy to follow. There is an imaginative concept behind the Monsters world. The characters are likeable. Plus, the animation is great giving us a bright and colorful world. On the other hand, this film does not offer much for an older audience. The story does not have much too it and the characters are simple, both lacking the sosphistication of later Pixar films and Toy Story although I have not seen the original in a while so I cannot say that. So I will wrap up my review with this. If you have little kids and you are looking for something fun and safe to show them, show them this film they will probably love it like I did back when I first saw the film in first grade. However, if you are looking for animated film with some sophistication then you might want to look elsewhere. While Monsters Inc. is a great kids film it is an ok film. Given the weak performance of Cars 2, which is for babies, and Brave, which was consisted mostly of an unoriginal story with only the last third being interesting, I am worried that Monsters University will be another film for the kiddies as opposed to the people who saw the original as kids and are now adults and/or in college. Expand
genericusenameJun 7, 2013
With Monsters University coming out soon, I figured I'd do a quick review on the original. Like most Pixar movies, it really is good for both kids and adults. The plot is solid, although not as good as I've seen in other Pixar movies. TheWith Monsters University coming out soon, I figured I'd do a quick review on the original. Like most Pixar movies, it really is good for both kids and adults. The plot is solid, although not as good as I've seen in other Pixar movies. The characters are very likable, and there is some good humor thrown into the mix. Expand
AReviewsJun 19, 2013
Monsters Inc. is one of my favorite movies of all time, it is my childhood movie, that I grew up with, it is original and funny with lots of jokes and a great time for families and children, the plot is original and clever with lots of cleverMonsters Inc. is one of my favorite movies of all time, it is my childhood movie, that I grew up with, it is original and funny with lots of jokes and a great time for families and children, the plot is original and clever with lots of clever moments and touching scenes, Monsters Inc. is one of the greatest animated movies ever made! Expand
shpreaJun 28, 2013
It's odd to see that this movie is so underrated. In my opinion, this might just be Pixar's best and most creative movie to date. It's hilarious at times and heart breaking at other times. Every character is interesting and very well animatedIt's odd to see that this movie is so underrated. In my opinion, this might just be Pixar's best and most creative movie to date. It's hilarious at times and heart breaking at other times. Every character is interesting and very well animated given their unique appearances. Be sure to see this one, it's just awesome. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
"Monsters Inc." brings a wonderful cast put in an inventive world that is very creative. The movie is built up on the main characters Mike and Sulley, who are incredibly likable. The animation is beautiful and really proves Pixar's animation"Monsters Inc." brings a wonderful cast put in an inventive world that is very creative. The movie is built up on the main characters Mike and Sulley, who are incredibly likable. The animation is beautiful and really proves Pixar's animation is just superb. Its storytelling is wonderful, and is like watching as a kid again. With newer films coming out by the second, movies like "Monsters Inc." remind you of the good old days. Expand
JUANPANBJul 12, 2013
Es una muy buena película, teniendo en cuenta que la idea y el tema de este Film es muy buena. En conclusión un largometraje recomendado para la Familia.
kubathereviewerJul 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A charming story full of comedy and adventure. It is really enjoyable and my favourite animated movie ever. The two main characters are brilliant and unbeatable. Expand
A_NorthernerJul 29, 2013
When you stop and consider the subject matter, you realise how gifted Pixar actually are in being able to turn a story about monsters hiding in children's closets to scare them into a funny and warm children's animation. Imagine if Tim BurtonWhen you stop and consider the subject matter, you realise how gifted Pixar actually are in being able to turn a story about monsters hiding in children's closets to scare them into a funny and warm children's animation. Imagine if Tim Burton has got his hands onto the story!

Monsters, Inc. looks great and tells a hugely original story, however I did find that the film largely relies heavily on slapstick jokes, for the younger audience, and lacks more subtle jokes for adult appreciation that some other children's animations do successfully integrate.

John Goodman is perfectly cast as the gentle Scarer Sully while Billy Crystal, voicing Mike, does become frustratingly annoying as the irritatingly talkative one of the pair.
emcoSep 18, 2013
What makes a film a children’s movie? A children’s movie does not just contain the friendly voices behind animated characters in a made up world. A movie for children is much more than just the goofy characters, the vibrant colors, and theWhat makes a film a children’s movie? A children’s movie does not just contain the friendly voices behind animated characters in a made up world. A movie for children is much more than just the goofy characters, the vibrant colors, and the silly skit. The make or break of a children’s movie is one thing: the moral.
In the fall of 2001, together, Disney and Pixar came out with another classic movie of made up worlds and interesting creatures. Director Pete Docter, with co-directors David Silverman and Lee Unkrich, created a movie for all the viewers to watch and take a small life lesson from. The entertaining, comical, and adventurous movie is aimed at the younger children, but some life lesson can be taken from the movie for those of all ages.
Monster’s Inc. is a movie unlike any the children have seen before. The originality of this film lies in the plot of the skit, as a message to the children behind the lines. Not only is Monster’s Inc. an animated film, with fuzzy characters, in a fantasy world, but also gives the young viewers a lesson to watch and take from the events of the movie.
Although some may say that the “charm” of this film is from the vocal cast, they are only looking at the movie from an educated adults view. The targeted viewers for Monster’s Inc. are the young children, given from the animations.
Based on the common criteria of animations, vocals, colors, scenery, characters, etc., the movie alone rates very well. The uniqueness of each character adds to the moral of the movie. Sully, the big-hearted monster, with this “partner in crime” Mike, the small comical monster, make a great dynamic duo. Together, they are the top ranking partnership in their “scream factory”, bringing in the most money by walking into different worlds through kid’s closets and scaring them to record their screams for the monster’s worlds power.
The movie seems to sound like a horror film, monsters crawling into kid’s rooms from their closet and scaring them. Well that’s the twist with the moral. The town’s biggest, scariest monster is actually the one with the biggest heart. The monster Mike, looks scary with his one eye, but is actually extremely comical.
When one “scare” goes wrong, and a human, Boo, is released into the monster’s world, she becomes acquainted with Sully and Mike. At first the monsters are afraid of Boo, because it’s believed that they have diseases and will kill the monsters. How ironic, that the little human girl is afraid of the big monsters? After a night, they become friends but Sully and Mike must hide Boo from the rest of the community because having her holds the risk of being fired.
Boo’s name comes from her as a human and living in the monsters world. Ironically, she is not scared of the monsters, but the monsters are scared of her. The uniqueness of this idea adds to the entertainment of the film, showing that not everything is how it seems. In reality, Boo should be scared of the monsters, but she is not.
This ironic plot gives the movie a different outcome of the overall moral: don’t judge a book by the cover. Just because something is believed to be scary, like monsters coming out of the closet, does not mean that they are scary in reality. Just because Mike and Sully are monsters, and they look strange, different, and scary, does not mean that they actually are. The main message given to the children teaches them that a monster, or anything else, is not actually what it appears to be. Sully is big and scary, but in reality, he is not and he actually has the biggest heart.
Viewers of this movie should come out feeling as though they should reevaluate what they feared, or judged too quickly. Not everything is how it should seem. Ordinary children associate monsters as scary creatures to be afraid of and fear. Monster’s Inc. takes this fear of monsters, and turns it around. The movie doesn’t just explain monsters are not real, but takes it in a more creative direction by showing that just because monsters appear scary, does not mean that they are scary creatures. The movie shows monsters as nice, caring, and funny creatures.
Monster’s Inc. brought in a $34 Million into the box office, and scored a 3.8/5, according to the movie rating website, Rotten Tomatoes. The average viewer takes into consideration, the skit, voice-overs, character’s appearance and every last detail. Every viewer should, at least, walk away with a new view on monsters and a laugh.
The originality of this movie is unlike any other. Monster’s Inc. uses what children fear most, monsters, and make them seem like harmful creatures. This movie puts the imaginations of these young kids and has them look behind appearance and what they expected. Monster’s Inc. expresses a new idea in their growing minds and opens up their thoughts to see that appearance is not always what it seems and to take a look on the insides, because you cannot judge without getting familiar with somet
MovieGuysSep 19, 2013
A fun, intelligent film disguised as a kids movie, but really is a great movie to watch for all ages. The voice acting is great and the laughs are there, as well as some mild scares for the kids. It's genius.
MamaTLFOct 14, 2013
Excellent and very funny movie full action that is about friendship. Some scenes made me laugh the end almost made me cry. A beautiful experience for anyone to watch.
joao1198pedroOct 31, 2013
monsters inc forme is the best film of disney pixar so far,it was the first movie i ever watch in the movies,and it was a so terrific film,it deserves a lot of prizes.
Bruce722Nov 4, 2013
Monsters, Inc. is one of the cutest and most original movies Disney Pixar has made. It is a nearly perfect family film that children can be entertained by and parents and adults can relate to. Goodman and Crystal are golden as the mainMonsters, Inc. is one of the cutest and most original movies Disney Pixar has made. It is a nearly perfect family film that children can be entertained by and parents and adults can relate to. Goodman and Crystal are golden as the main characters and Boo is just adorable. The only thing I can say I wish they did was give Sully and Mike even more screen time. This is a must watch if you enjoy these types of films. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
Monsters Inc scares animation into reality.
Pixar once again exceeds expectations with an unbelievably well crafted story of two monsters and a little girl. The voices of John Goodman and Billy Crystal excel the films creativeness to life.
TheCoolGuy99Nov 17, 2013
Would you be scare of a monster on a closet that terrorizes children while their asleep at night? Well, not anymore because these monsters just only work for their jobs to create electricity for the Monster world. The company their working atWould you be scare of a monster on a closet that terrorizes children while their asleep at night? Well, not anymore because these monsters just only work for their jobs to create electricity for the Monster world. The company their working at is called Monsters Inc. that serves as a diversion of the film's realism to our world while you're in the company you will meet joyful and humorous characters such as the loving and charming, James Sullivan John Goodman a talkative one-eyed green monster, Mike Wazowski Billy Crystal a selfish and easily distracted monster-like chameleon, Randall Boggs Steve Buscemi and many more.

These characters shows enjoyable break time for children who watch this, maybe unforgettable, They work as like employees and the company their working at, even shows employee of the month. Now, for the main characters- Sully and Mike acts as best friends throughout their jobs, they show cleverness to entertain viewers in a way of humor. Especially, Roz, who appeals using her slow-paced talking and reminding the paper work assignment of Mike in a hilarious silent way.

Monsters Inc. is really a great time if you are bored, it can entertained you because the characters are charismatic and joyful which makes the film feel alive. And they even not stop entertaining till the credits, they showed that the film is real and the characters worked as Hollywood actors and even mentioned "No monsters were harmed in this film", really a diversion of realism that can caught adult's attention to watch it. Even my aunt loves this movie even she's 27 years old.

Monsters Inc. is a good film and look it even won Academy awards. It may not seem as fresh as the Toy Story film but outstanding packed humor and realism makes it sufficient enough to be added to PIxar's success in the animation universe.

Rating: 9 10
drlowdonDec 24, 2013
Aside from the Toy Story series Monsters Inc is probably my favourite of all the Disney Pixar movies. Featuring a memorable cast of characters (as ever voiced by a superb cast) this is great fun for adults and kids of all ages.
KayakMar 4, 2014
A fantastic concept for a children's movie, and it is rather concise and well thought out. Great comedy, great characters and a fairly solid script. Not the best Pixar movie, but pretty damn close!
lukechristianscMar 19, 2014
monsters inc is better then monsters university . how ? because its a monsterific animated film . A film by peter doctor who created toy story and wall-e .
Viper8787May 11, 2014
One of my favourite movies ever and my most beloved movies when I was a kid. Mike is one of my favourite movie characters he is just so funny. There are so many memorable scenes in this movie from all the jokes and the door scenes in thisOne of my favourite movies ever and my most beloved movies when I was a kid. Mike is one of my favourite movie characters he is just so funny. There are so many memorable scenes in this movie from all the jokes and the door scenes in this movie were great. Amazing voice acting and story made this films one of my favourite and my favourite Pixar films to date. Expand
lordmoo_23Sep 30, 2014
I fell in love with Monster,Inc. the first time I saw it as a kid. It was the movie I got most excited for to watch, fast forward eleven years and I still get excited for it. This monster world is so different from what we know yet soI fell in love with Monster,Inc. the first time I saw it as a kid. It was the movie I got most excited for to watch, fast forward eleven years and I still get excited for it. This monster world is so different from what we know yet so interesting and fun. Their source of power comes from the screams of children which seems so very strange but in the context of this film, makes perfect sense. I am never forced to accept anything the film throws at me, I choose to accept them because they make sense.

Another important reason for why I love Monsters, Inc. is the characters. James P. Sullivan is our protagonist. He is very good at his job, known to many as the top Scarer in Monstropolis. Throughout this film, Sullivan's perspective on everything changes while his caring and comforting character grows stronger. His best friend and roommate, Mike Wazowski, is a funny and smart character who sometimes fails to see the obvious. He is full of energy and charisma, making it impossible for me to dislike him.

Apart from the characters and the beautiful chemistry they share, the story is very well written and enjoyable. It had some hilarious laugh out loud moments, but also some very sad ones. The 3-D is okay, but seems non-existent at times.
Anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet must do so, and those who have should go back and revisit it. It's the well written story, the colorful characters and the heart this film carries that makes it such a timeless classic.
Delaforce828Oct 13, 2014
It's cute, creative, and a lot of fun. whilst it lacks some of the charm that Toy Story had, it still delivers a great story, memorable characters (Not to mention great designs on the monsters) and in my opinion has one of the greatest chaseIt's cute, creative, and a lot of fun. whilst it lacks some of the charm that Toy Story had, it still delivers a great story, memorable characters (Not to mention great designs on the monsters) and in my opinion has one of the greatest chase scenes I've ever seen. In conclusion Monsters, Inc may not be as good as Toy Story, but it's still enjoyable no matter what. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
The Academy Award-winning creators of "Toy Story" open the door to a frightfully funny world of monsters and mayhem and scare up lots of laughs in their new movie, Monsters, Inc.
SwJohnsonJan 19, 2015
This by far my favorite movie. The Story is original, the plot is engaging, and the voice acting is amazing. This is Pixar's finest work, and that's saying something considering classics such as Toy Story, Wall-E, and Up.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
monster inc is a good film. a lot of people say the idea of this movie is not original I do not know what movie or TV show they watch but I never saw something like monster Inc.
Shady313Apr 13, 2015
1010 .................................................................................…………............................................................
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
Remember when, as a child, you used to fear the monster under the bed or in the closet - how your parents would tell you to go to sleep, that it wasn't real? Monsters, Inc. confirms what every child really knows - the things that go bump inRemember when, as a child, you used to fear the monster under the bed or in the closet - how your parents would tell you to go to sleep, that it wasn't real? Monsters, Inc. confirms what every child really knows - the things that go bump in the night have more substance than silly grown ups recognize. Brought to the screen by the marriage of Disney and Pixar, Monsters, Inc. is the fourth computer animated motion picture offspring of this union. Like its older siblings, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc. is a triumph of storytelling. Each new movie of this sort raises the bar a little more, and, while Monsters, Inc. doesn't eclipse Dreamworks' Shrek, it comes close.

There's a world out there, somewhere under the rainbow, where monsters live. The sprawling city where they go about their daily lives is called Monstropolis - a vast, bustling place populated by all sorts of misshapen creatures who would cause the average human child to crawl under the covers. Energy in Monstropolis comes from an unusual source - the screams of children. Employees working for mega-corporation Monsters, Inc. go through gateways into the bedroom of human kids on Earth, frighten them into screaming, capture the energy from the screams, and convert it to electricity in Monstropolis. But, since children are becoming harder to scare, Monstropolis is facing a "scream shortage."

Everything that was true of the two Toy Story movies and A Bug's Life can be said about Monsters, Inc. - this is the kind of movie that works on multiple levels - as fast-moving, lively fun for children and as slyly written, visually impressive entertainment for adults. Monsters, Inc. is one of those rare family films that parents can enjoy (rather than endure) along with their kids. And childless individuals venturing into a theater showing this picture need not worry that they'll be viewed as deviants - Monsters, Inc. is capable of drawing audience members from across the age spectrum.

The older the viewer, the more in-jokes they'll get. Most everyone will appreciate the "Don't Stalk" street sign and the tabloid newspaper called "The Glob". But it will take someone with a little more sophistication than the average 10-year old to get a chuckle out of the club named "Harryhausen's". From a visual standpoint, Monsters, Inc. is a small step forward from Toy Story 2 in its variety, richness of design, and background detail. I say a "small step" because Toy Story 2 was strong in all of these areas - Monsters, Inc. is just a little better.

The great strength of the previous Pixar films, as well as Shrek, is that they offer a genuine emotional component that runs deeper than that of the run-of-the-mill animated feature. Such is the case here, where the attachment between burly Sulley and tiny Boo touches the heart. Part of it is because the animators have pulled out all the stops in making Boo shamelessly cute, but it does the job. The little girl brings out Sulley's soft side and smoothes some of Mike's rough edges. (As in Shrek, the animators opt to make the human characters somewhat "unreal", rather than going the Final Fantasy route and attempting to replicate actual human appearance.)

Monsters, Inc. manages to last 90 minutes without a single song. Too often, music has become a crutch in animated productions (rather than the asset it can be when used appropriately). The fact that Monsters, Inc. doesn't need Randy Newman songs sprinkled throughout (although there is one during the end credits) is a testimony to the strength of the writing and the vocal characterizations. John Goodman and Billy Crystal make for an effective odd couple (in a break from tradition, they recorded their parts together, rather than separately). James Coburn is suitably dignified as Henry J. Waternoose, the owner of Monsters, Inc. Jennifer Tilly lends her helium-like voice to Celia, Mike's girlfriend; Steve Buscemi is hardly recognizable as the diabolical Randall; and Mary Gibbs' baby-talk makes Boo all the more adorable.

Monsters, Inc. reaffirms the fact that a good animated film can be every bit as stimulating and emotionally satisfying a motion picture as a high quality live action endeavor. While this movie may threaten to be swamped by Harry Potter mania this fall, it definitely deserves to be seen. Young Mr. Potter may practice magic, but Monsters, Inc. is nothing short of enchanting.
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
PIXAR was pounding again, this time with the story of monsters that work to scare children , but the monsters are really fancy but excellent film pure and argument