8.6

1. Jun 30, 2011
    It may not be the most sophisticated Pixar film, but is still a fantastic and charming film. The animation is as beautiful and vibrant as even newer animated films. One of the most original concepts for a film I have ever seen, and great voice acting make this a must-see. One of Pixar's best, and also one of all of animations best films. As will all other Pixar movies, animation is notIt may not be the most sophisticated Pixar film, but is still a fantastic and charming film. The animation is as beautiful and vibrant as even newer animated films. One of the most original concepts for a film I have ever seen, and great voice acting make this a must-see. One of Pixar's best, and also one of all of animations best films. As will all other Pixar movies, animation is not just for children. This is a wittily funny movie for everyone. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    "Monsters Inc." is the milestone animation of Pixar's big debut to the 21st century. As expecting, the film is amazing, containing good morals that audience of every age can understand and appeal. Two thumbs up!!!
  3. Aug 6, 2011
    One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The characters are likeable and the story is original and heartwarming. Disney never fails to entertain both children and adults.
  4. KamieH.
    Oct 10, 2004
    AWESOME!!!!!
  5. CRL
    Aug 12, 2011
    For some reason, though I like almost all Pixar films, this is my undeniable favorite. I don't know whether it's the comedic aspect or the fact that it actually drills in some suspense near the end, but this is that kind of movie that, wherever and whenever I see it on, I will watch it to the very end.
  6. Jan 6, 2012
    Monsters, Inc is a great film. What it is is funny, well animated and well written. What it isn't is Pixar's best, it's still a classic, but not up there with the best of the Pixar films. Mike, Scully and the gang are a memorable bunch, which is why I suppose Pixar are making a prequel to the film for 2013. The film is great but not superb, it shows that Pixar can yet again make a greatMonsters, Inc is a great film. What it is is funny, well animated and well written. What it isn't is Pixar's best, it's still a classic, but not up there with the best of the Pixar films. Mike, Scully and the gang are a memorable bunch, which is why I suppose Pixar are making a prequel to the film for 2013. The film is great but not superb, it shows that Pixar can yet again make a great film about just about anything that is great viewing for kids and adults alike. Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2012
    Monster's Inc is extremely heartwarming and original along with mostly going for laughs the whole time which it most definitely does. And the film may scare some children but overall it is fantastic. I give this film 86%.
  8. Jun 6, 2012
    Monsters, Inc. is film animation at its most heart-warming, poignant and hilarious. The film is not just a simple, pretty diversion to keep the young ones quiet for 90 minutes, but an incredibly clever, multi-faceted film for all ages. It's a buddy movie, it's a work-based sitcom, an imaginative fantasy film, and most pleasingly a biting and intelligent satire on both the world energyMonsters, Inc. is film animation at its most heart-warming, poignant and hilarious. The film is not just a simple, pretty diversion to keep the young ones quiet for 90 minutes, but an incredibly clever, multi-faceted film for all ages. It's a buddy movie, it's a work-based sitcom, an imaginative fantasy film, and most pleasingly a biting and intelligent satire on both the world energy crisis and the over-exposure of children to increasingly horrific images in the modern world. Inventively, the monster city is not powered by electricity, gas and oil, but by children's screams, which the workers of Monsters Incorporated, dubbed "scarers" are tasked with collecting by going through portals into the human world, portals which appear as closet doors in the bedrooms of children. The monster world is facing an energy shortage due to the fact that kids "just don't get scared like they used to", resulting in some monsters resorting to increasingly drastic and amoral techniques to extract childrens' screams. The cast all give sterling vocal performances - John Goodman's hairy soft-hearted giant Sulley and Billy Crystal's minuscule green cyclops Mike make a great comedy double-act, Steve Buscemi's reptilian villain Randall is appropriately slimy and conniving, and the staggeringly multi-talented animator/writer/director/occasional actor Bob Peterson voices the cynical slug-secretary-from-hell Roz, and never fails to raise a smile. Monsters, Inc. gets the balance between vastly differing moods just right, with cuteness (Sulley's adorable father-daughter relationship with Boo), humour (anything said or done by Mike) and darkness (Randall's unsavory evil master plan) all given equal service throughout the film by director Pete Doctor and the multiple writers. I also challenge anyone who's in possession of a working heart not to blub at the film's bittersweet, utterly heartbreaking finale. This might provoke considerable debate amongst Pixar devotees (as the vast majority of the studio's output is jolly good, afterall) but I say that Monsters, Inc., while only being the fourth film released, is the very best work the animation powerhouse has produced thus far. It's truly Pixar's finest hour not only due to its flawless technical craftsmanship, but because of its abundance of heart and soul. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    I'll be honest, I have a soft spot for this movie. Monsters Inc. isn't my favorite Pixar movie, and I do have my gripes with it. But on the whole I just found it utterly charming.

It's funny and sad. Carefree and serious. Slow and fast paced. Monsters Inc. really does try to do everything, but for the most part I think this is the movie's downside. It's trying so hard to do everything, that it kind of has your emotions all over the place. Making it difficult to fixate on how you are supposed to feel.

Boo is perhaps the most adorable animated child EVER! Crystal & Goodman do a great job and deliver non stop laughs.

Overall:
    Monsters Inc. is perhaps the funniest of all the Pixar movies and still retains the Pixar magic of family friendly storytelling (even with monsters.) I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and will continue to do so every time I watch it.

Side Note:
    Pixar's "bloopers" are by far the star of each Pixar film, a real shame they don't do them anymore.
  10. Jun 22, 2014
    Sully and Boo's relationship has some spark, but the supporting characters are unlikable (especially Mike) and the plot is just weak. One of my least favorite Pixar movies.
  11. DaniN.
    Oct 25, 2002
    It just was as good as it could have been. Take Toy Story, Monsters Inc. just isn't as good.
  12. SomeGuy
    Oct 18, 2002
    What a complete waste of time, at least for an adult. It is totally a children's movie. Yeah the animation is cool and the voices are OK and the premise is amusing -- for the first half hour. After that it's a living hell. Again, recommended for young children with simple tastes ONLY.
  13. RobertZ.
    Nov 16, 2001
    Disappointing script. Short on humor for the adults. Way too cute. None of the wit of the Toy Story movies. Great animation though.
  14. Mar 26, 2011
    A fantastic movie that has a touching story, fantastic characters, and a lot of humor, one of the best animated movies for kids of all time, a must watch.
  15. MarkH.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Watched at least 30 times withthe kids and not once did I feel forced, fantastic.
  16. PatrickH.
    Sep 8, 2004
    Fantastic!!! :)))
  17. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    (9.5) As much fun as the two Toy Story's and the comparison stops there! This is Monsters, Inc. A unique story with unique characters. Moreover, is has a script that's hilarious, voice talent that's impeccable, and the whole group of filmmakers are simply geniuses. It's cliched throughout but, heck, who cares! You love the heroes, adore the victim, and despise the (9.5) As much fun as the two Toy Story's and the comparison stops there! This is Monsters, Inc. A unique story with unique characters. Moreover, is has a script that's hilarious, voice talent that's impeccable, and the whole group of filmmakers are simply geniuses. It's cliched throughout but, heck, who cares! You love the heroes, adore the victim, and despise the villian(s). And you're supposed to! Not to mention that you laugh yourself silly at the side-characters. C'mon, who doesn't love Roz?!? This film has everything and age is not a prerequisite. It will thrill audiences for many many years to come. Expand
  18. ShirleyH.
    Oct 26, 2002
    Anyone who starts in on the animation being "ordinary", or saying it doesn't have the adult audience captured the way Toy Story did, has become numb to the advances being made in animation. This movie is phenomenal. I think the critics are the ones who are stingy on context and commentary, and have themselves become stuck in the 1950's, they just don't measure up any more. Anyone who starts in on the animation being "ordinary", or saying it doesn't have the adult audience captured the way Toy Story did, has become numb to the advances being made in animation. This movie is phenomenal. I think the critics are the ones who are stingy on context and commentary, and have themselves become stuck in the 1950's, they just don't measure up any more. Of course they probably yawn at the possiblity of man landing on Mars, too. Expand
  19. GlacierO.
    May 28, 2003
    I don't get how Shrek got compared to this one too. They're both equal, other than the fact that Monsters, Inc. needed better respect from critics (79? It deserves MUCH better than that). It's amazing how Pixar is able to have so much imagination and make so many imaginative stories like this one, the Toy Story movies, and A Bug's Life. It really brings out our inner I don't get how Shrek got compared to this one too. They're both equal, other than the fact that Monsters, Inc. needed better respect from critics (79? It deserves MUCH better than that). It's amazing how Pixar is able to have so much imagination and make so many imaginative stories like this one, the Toy Story movies, and A Bug's Life. It really brings out our inner child to see these types movies that are on the same masterpiece level as Miyazaki's animated films are. And also like Miyazaki's films, Pixar's contains gorgeos animation. But I found this one to be the best of Pixar, as it was so touching at the end. Like all of Pixar's films, the characters were original and fit their voice actors (especially Goodman and Crystal) and the characters weren't ripped off of a popular film. The dialogue isn't sappy, stupid, or taken from another film either. It's very witty and funny (example:the news scene). I don't see why this movie didn't get a universal acclaim. I thought it was overall flawless, with incredible scenery. Do please buy the DVD! It contains the best extras you could ever ask for! Expand
  20. KNSato
    Nov 28, 2001
    Sweet and funny movie, at turns hilarious and touching. Especially resonant for those of us who appreciate the wonder and cuteness of little girls. The underlying joy of the film's makers shines through.
  21. AJ
    Nov 6, 2001
    I think this was a good movie.
  22. ColeL.
    Nov 22, 2001
    A dazzeling movie with realalistic animation. This story is one of the most creative stories, with heaps of goodies inside. Though their comedy does not always work out. The random plot goodies make this movie to be a roller coster.
  23. EmilyM.
    Mar 17, 2002
    Monsters, Inc. is 1 of the funniest movies I have eva seen. I really enjoyed it and thought that it woz great.
  24. GoOn!HitHim!WhatDoICare?I'mGilbertMulroneycak
    Dec 25, 2002
    Shrek was utterly brilliant. This is better. Anyone who says there's nothing for grown ups would be advised to note that a) it's a kid's movie first and foremost and b) they're talking pigswill. The script is hillarious, for a start-off (anyone not even sniggering at that poor once-hairy guy who kept being leapt on by the CDA really needs a slap). And the animation! Shrek was utterly brilliant. This is better. Anyone who says there's nothing for grown ups would be advised to note that a) it's a kid's movie first and foremost and b) they're talking pigswill. The script is hillarious, for a start-off (anyone not even sniggering at that poor once-hairy guy who kept being leapt on by the CDA really needs a slap). And the animation! The Cel is dead! My god, this animation! (By the way, if you think this film's pretty, take a look at "Finding Nemo, the new one. My god...it's a beautiful thing [hands large brown envelope to John Lasseter].) The voice acting also "rocks" "bells" - Billy Crystal succeeds in giving a large eye a personality, and John Goodman is so damn LOVABLE as Sulley. The late James "Not Earl Jones" Coburn has a great time as the crab-Boss Hogg hybrid CEO of the corporation, and Steve Buscemi could hardly go wrong with Randall - I love a Disney film where you end up really HATING the bad guy. Randall transcended the usual Disney villainy - he wasn't just bad, he was a complete and total B.ST.RD, and just for the hell of it as well. I defy you, I really defy you not to cheer and clap at the climax, in Boo's room, when spoiler deleted. Ooh, he makes me mad. And to cap it all off, just the most perfect, most touching, most utterly enchanting endings ever. Better than "Bug's Life", not as good as either "Toy Story", but it's close. You must see it. Expand
  25. JeffM.
    Oct 9, 2002
    I went in prepared for the inevitable mediocre Pixar film -- I mean, how many times can they put out a great movie without offering a lame one eventually? -- but they once again have offered us a visual treat with a story to captivate young and old. The next one will suck though, right? They can't keep achieving greatness, can they??
  26. MichelleP.
    Oct 9, 2002
    This movie was amazing. The movie was funny, as well as touching (I cried like a baby when Sulley was saying bye to Boo.) The thing that amazed me was that Sulley and Mike looked like monster versions of their voice actors [John Goodman and Billy Crystal] And the villain Randall was just plain cool.
  27. RyanM.
    Nov 25, 2001
    While watching "Monsters, Inc." it feels as if you are in an inferno of hilarity. It's the perfect film at the perfect time.
  28. SariaM.
    May 30, 2003
    I loved this movie! It's my favorite Pixar movie next to "Finding Nemo"!
  29. MattE.
    May 18, 2003
    Great movie, but doesn't have the wonder of Toy Story or the witty dialogue of Toy Story 2. I did, however, think it was better than A Bug's Life. How it stands to compare with Shrek, I don't know, because I love both of them equally I couldn't say which is better.
  30. GauriS.
    Jun 17, 2002
    Cute, classy movie.

Marvels of animation abound in Monsters, Inc. -- when it comes to irreverent humor and real heart, Monsters doesn't quite measure up.
    Confirms that despite all the technical tools at their disposal, one thing counts head and shoulders above razzle-dazzle eye candy (or anything else, for that matter): the story and characters, and Monsters, Inc. introduces worthy additions to the Pixar pantheon.
  3. But Monsters, Inc. -- directed by Pixar soldier Pete Docter, not by master digital comic John Lasseter -- turns out to be stingy on context, commentary, and the prism-ing view of pop culture that made the earlier films mint.