7.8

1. Jun 23, 2013
    Monsters University is the new 14th Pixar animated feature and the prequel of the biggest animated classic, Monsters Inc. Since 12 years of making the new prequel where monsters are planning to go college first before they started to work at the company. Monsters Inc. is very creativity film with big laughs, great animation design of monsters, and a great story, but this new movie is quiteMonsters University is the new 14th Pixar animated feature and the prequel of the biggest animated classic, Monsters Inc. Since 12 years of making the new prequel where monsters are planning to go college first before they started to work at the company. Monsters Inc. is very creativity film with big laughs, great animation design of monsters, and a great story, but this new movie is quite different and it's not as good as the original. The back story takes place where Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) is going to university and he's learning to become a scary monster, so he can scare children in closets around the world. Mike has to team up with Sulley (John Goodman) and the rest of the non scarier students to help them out to prove themselves to become very scary, so that the dean will not kick them out from the university. We meet our colorful friends in the university like Randall from the first movie, two headed monster Terri & Terry Perry, the owner of the club Don Carlton, and the other colorful monsters. The university is pretty cool to look at like the background is pretty neat, the animation is pretty bright, and the design is unique from the first movie. Monsters University is okay for most children and family will enjoy, but unfortunately the movie is pretty average and it wasn't that spectacular like the original movie. The main issue is that characters are not that interested and story needs to take time where both heroes who started at the university. It reminds us that the college and university is coming back to learn something we already knew from the start and we can't quite decide of whether we learn from the past or we want is another generation. Surprisely, the movie tries so hard to make this prequel and it didn't quite expect to coming back to learn everything we already did. Thumb Down. Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2013
    Not a bad film but nothing special from Pixar. I am a big Monsters inc. fan and I really like the characters of Mike and Sully, but I was hoping for a more spirited effort.
  3. Jun 24, 2013
    Pixar has created some of the best movies over the last decade because of their originality, cleverness and genuine emotion. Monsters University has virtually none of those qualities which makes the movie like a standard animation film, which is a disappointment for Pixar.
  4. Jun 30, 2013
    June 23, 2013

'World War Z' is a fast-paced, exciting thriller, which blends the horror, action, and science-fiction genres generally well. Brad Pitt gives a decent performance as Gerry Lane, but the film fails to create a real connection between the viewer and Pitt's family. 'WWZ' ends up being an above average film, which provides a nice new look at an oft-visited idea.
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    Monsters University is once again a failed attempt from Pixar. The jokes were too cheesy, the plot seemed cliche, and it pretty much sucked. Wouldn't recommend it...
  6. BKM
    Nov 19, 2013
    Monsters University occupies the middle ground when it comes to Pixar sequels. It's not as innovative or emotionally resonant as Toy Story 2 or 3, but it's a great deal more fun and engaging than the needless Cars 2. The animation is so gorgeous and the voice work so accomplished, that you almost don't notice that the plot and characters are paper thin.
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    While it may not be Pixar’s finest work Monsters University is still entertaining. The film made me chuckle a few times and as a way to kill some time it was not a bad way to spend it. If you are a little kid or a fan of Monsters Inc. check this one out because you will probably really like it. It is about on the same level as its predecessor providing the same likeable characters from theWhile it may not be Pixar’s finest work Monsters University is still entertaining. The film made me chuckle a few times and as a way to kill some time it was not a bad way to spend it. If you are a little kid or a fan of Monsters Inc. check this one out because you will probably really like it. It is about on the same level as its predecessor providing the same likeable characters from the first film, which fans of the original will be overjoyed to see again, and a cute story that will make you smile and chuckle from time to time. It is slow and boring at times but as the film goes on it becomes more and more engaging making it something that is worth checking out. If you are hoping for something on the same level as Up or Toy Story 3 this film is not for you but if just want to see something cute that will keep you busy for an hour and a half check Monsters University out. This is a cute little film that is more or less as enjoyable as its predecessor. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    I really expected more from Pixar, especially considering how fantastic Monsters Inc. was. Unfortunately this prequel ends up falling short,. Not only does it fail to live up to its predecessor, but it also fails to live up to Pixar's reputation for animated movies.

It's got some humorous moments, but everything from plot to the characters falls short in my opinion. It ends up feeling very dull and predictable unlike most of Pixar's previous works. There are some good things here like Charlie Day's character, watching the Randall and Sully rivalry start, and it will keep kids entertained, but it is one of Pixar's lames efforts. It disappointed the huge Monsters Inc. fan in me, and as a prequel it failed to add anything that would make me rethink events of the first movie. Really I expected more from Pixar.

This is a huge disappointment. It captures none of the Pixar magic and stands beside Cars 2 as one of Pixar's rare disappointments. It may be worth a rental if you were a huge fan of the original and have small kids, but for others it may just be better to skip this and keep those fond memories of Pixar still intact. This does some pretty big damage to their reputation.
  9. Jul 1, 2013
    The higher the bar is set the harder is to keep it. That is the case with the new Pixar's animation movie "Monsters University", prequel to "Monsters, Inc." Even though it is a decent Pixar movie, professionally done and pleasant to watch, it is not nearly as good as the first one. "Monsters, Inc." became a classic right away, this one will not…
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    The animation was, as always, quite spectacular. As far as laughs and story go, I felt like this fell a little short of what I would expect from a studio with such a legacy. Is Disney just...forcing them to make these sequels/prequels at this point? I seem to remember a time when it felt like Pixar was pretty damn creative.
  11. Sep 2, 2013
    I went into Monsters University with very little in the way of expectations and I came out surprised and disappointed at the same time as the prequel to Monsters Inc is both wonderful and aggravating at the same time. When Mike Wasowksi (Billy Crystal) arrives at Monsters University he meets rebellious James Sullivan (John Goodman) and the two tangle to become the greatest scarers untilI went into Monsters University with very little in the way of expectations and I came out surprised and disappointed at the same time as the prequel to Monsters Inc is both wonderful and aggravating at the same time. When Mike Wasowksi (Billy Crystal) arrives at Monsters University he meets rebellious James Sullivan (John Goodman) and the two tangle to become the greatest scarers until they are forced to team up to avoid getting expelled. University does manage to avoid the pratfalls of prequels by keeping the story light and narrow in scope while filling the film with a brand new crop of monsters and a few choice cameos for longtime monsters fans. However it also lacks that Monsters Inc had, a no holes barred adventure with a beautiful ending. University is fun and has some action in it but it lacks the guts of its predecessor and feels like its lacking because of it. As usual the animation is stellar with Pixar constantly raising the bar on themselves but it all feels similar. If anything, Monsters Inc has robber University of the awe this film would have caused as a stand alone feature. Crystal and Goodman are having fun doing the voices yet again as these two really come alive. The film depicts the beginning of a beautiful friendship and it finds its heart through this odd couple pairing but it lacks the child like innocence of Inc and ultimately if there is no Boo then you won't be able to achieve the same effect making it a good thing University doesn't try to. Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2013
    Monsters University is a colourful, beautiful and a visual-stunning Pixar effort that unfortunately fails to reach the standards of the brilliant predecessor, Monsters Inc. as well as most Pixar films in general, and the film is pretty unnecessary and didn't really need to happen. But I did certainly enjoy this film; it provide laughs (albeit not many) and was a rather entertaining filmMonsters University is a colourful, beautiful and a visual-stunning Pixar effort that unfortunately fails to reach the standards of the brilliant predecessor, Monsters Inc. as well as most Pixar films in general, and the film is pretty unnecessary and didn't really need to happen. But I did certainly enjoy this film; it provide laughs (albeit not many) and was a rather entertaining film throughout and it never left me bored. If you are a fan of Monsters Inc. or Pixar films in general, this is worth-watching, though it may not be as good as other Pixar films. Expand
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    Monsters University is a pretty decent movie but it lacks a lot of the charm the first film had. I think a lot of that has to do with how original the story was initially and how that unique element is lost a bit in further iterations. I think Boo provided a lot of the charm in the first movie as well. It wasn't so obvious until watching a movie without her. Obviously Mike and Sully wereMonsters University is a pretty decent movie but it lacks a lot of the charm the first film had. I think a lot of that has to do with how original the story was initially and how that unique element is lost a bit in further iterations. I think Boo provided a lot of the charm in the first movie as well. It wasn't so obvious until watching a movie without her. Obviously Mike and Sully were both great but the competition with which the film is built upon feels a little weak. I know, it's a children's movie, but that's kind of the problem. While Monsters, Inc. was a film that the adults could appreciate, this one is more of a pure kiddy flick. It's still entertaining to a certain extent but without a lot of the depth from the first one, it's ultimately just a fun kids movie and not much more. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2014
    Colorful, really really colorful. I like a lot about this movie, but the enthusiasm stayed in the "mildly positive" territory, for some reason. Maybe it lacked deep symbolism or poetry... like, it didn't have a flying house or something similar, that you remember as a representation of a message/morale. More like a lot of scenes built for fun, and that's it. They deliver, but that's it.
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    It's not that it's a bad movie, It just never really gets good. It's some-what funny, The new characters aren't that like-able, and they could have focused more on the back-story through out instead of little bits here and there. I agree with csw12's review 100%. It has none of the qualities of a great animated film, It's just painfully generic and that's what so disappointing about it.
  16. Jul 20, 2013
    With fluid animations and a great cast, this prequel falls short with the story; it was far too basic and simple, making me assume the target audience was solely for children. However, even if aimed for children, there was no definite antagonist, making a good story difficult to conjure. The humour was quite minimal and most of the story predictable, although not every second film goesWith fluid animations and a great cast, this prequel falls short with the story; it was far too basic and simple, making me assume the target audience was solely for children. However, even if aimed for children, there was no definite antagonist, making a good story difficult to conjure. The humour was quite minimal and most of the story predictable, although not every second film goes without connections; it was nice to see the back-stories of some characters that appeared in the first film, and how they got into their ‘situation’, but one small character towards the end did seem quite forced, as if they had run out of ideas to throw in.

As a general film? Good.
    But as a Pixar film?
    Disappointing.
  17. Jun 23, 2013
    It was a lot of set up in the beginning, so the story seemed to lag. Didn't really pull me in until close to the end. My kids seemed bored with most of the movie, except for bits here and there.
  18. Jul 18, 2013
    Perfunctory. While entertaining and fast-paced, Monsters University lacks originality and genuine emotion. Toy Story 3 feels like it was ages ago now.
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    If this came from any other animation studio I would have said this was a perfectly serviceable comedy, with a touch of a deeper meaning. But this is from Pixar, and I start with such high expectations. Pixar has brought us to some wonderful places, the hidden worlds of toys, ants, fish, even rats. Imaginative places like Monstropolis, Earth 700 years in the future, Radiator Springs,If this came from any other animation studio I would have said this was a perfectly serviceable comedy, with a touch of a deeper meaning. But this is from Pixar, and I start with such high expectations. Pixar has brought us to some wonderful places, the hidden worlds of toys, ants, fish, even rats. Imaginative places like Monstropolis, Earth 700 years in the future, Radiator Springs, and a floating house. In this movie we went to college, without anything wondrous or imaginative revealed. I really hope Pixar can return to the gems it created for so many years, otherwise I will not be rushing to see their movies in the theaters. Expand
  20. Aug 20, 2013
    The movie started off OK but towards the end, it got progressively boring.
  21. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters university was an interesting idea at first, to know about the origins of the monster world, and to just see more from these characters that we loved back in the day. after seeing this movie, I'd rather go on not seeing this. A highly negative sounding comment sure, but this is nothing to be shunned or hated, this is just not that great. You would think that anything Pixar made would be not amazing, but recently they have been losing their edge in the long lasting joy that their previous films had. Now about the movie, it starts off pretty normally with the reason why Mike would want to be in the scarring business. Now that I think about it, what else is there to do in their world? Does everyone have to be a part of the scarring world? I do remember that there was one monster that had a fruit stand, but that's it. Anyways, the rest is just cuteness in my opinion. That's the level of sophistication in this movie: not all the intelligent, but still good. The other main character Sully is completely different from his previous alliteration; for best in my opinion, because it's great to see change from before to present. Which is also a problem for me, they do it good with Sully, but Mike is the same from the first movie, and I didn't like him all too much from that last film. The only other character they show again is Randell, and it's a little funny what they do with him; him being a nerd and friendly, but they never really show that event that really turned him into the jerk he was in the last film. The cast is pretty neutral, they don't leave any impressions, but they're also enjoyable during the time I watched them. The funny moments really were the moments where they showed little easter eggs from the first movie, but that's it. My last thing I'll talk about ii where Mike finds out he can't be a scarer is too harsh. So it turns out he goes to the human world to try and show that he really does have what it takes, it's so mean spirited that he does all the work needed to and has all the dedication, and still cannot be what he always wanted to be is pretty cruel. I know the message was that we all have a special place in society, but that message is kinda not that great. Overall this is an okay movie; showing the development of at least the character I liked most, but not really doing anything that'll have a lasting appeal is so out of place for Disney. Expand
  22. Jun 28, 2013
    I took my kiddos to see Monsters University this weekend and they absolutely loved it. For me, I wasn't a huge fan of Monsters Inc and this movie is much of the same as that movie. It's just an "ok" movie and I wasn't nearly as excited for this movie as I am for Despicable Me 2 or Turbo. The story is decent with a very good message of defy expectations and be who you want to be.I took my kiddos to see Monsters University this weekend and they absolutely loved it. For me, I wasn't a huge fan of Monsters Inc and this movie is much of the same as that movie. It's just an "ok" movie and I wasn't nearly as excited for this movie as I am for Despicable Me 2 or Turbo. The story is decent with a very good message of defy expectations and be who you want to be.

Monsters University seemed to miss some really good opportunities at comedy and isn't the type of movie that the adults are going to talk about after seeing. I love Billy Crystal and Mike is by far my favorite of the film but Monsters University never really gets going in terms of "great" It is better than both of the Cars movies, which I cannot stand, but not on the same level as Toy Story or Incredibles. The Scare Games which become the focal point of Sully and Mike's adventure are a lot of fun and will make a great video game on the Wii U.

This movie could've come straight to DVD and I think it would've done well. I think that is where I believed this movie should've ended up on, straight to DVD along with Lion King 2 and Little Mermaid 2. Both of my kids loved it and if you have children this is a good trip to the movies, however, with so many family films looming my recommendation is unless you truly LOVED Monsters Inc, wait for a different family movie to burn your money on.

I notice a lot of people on here hated Brave, however I loved that movie and found it a great and imaginative Pixar story. Brave was better than this movie.
  23. Jul 18, 2013
    As A Film On It's Own It's Marvelous But Being A Sequel To One Of The Best Pixar Movies Ever It's Decent The Animation Is Good, The Story Is Hit, Miss, The Characters The Main Ones Are Unforgettable Except For Randall He Isn't In The Movie Much The Supporting On The Other Hand I Forgot Like 90% Of Them But it's Still Good Even With Those Flaws
  24. Jul 22, 2013
    Pixar films traditionally have that indescribable touch to them that always keeps you watching and Monsters University maintains that touch. I really felt the characters come alive, both metaphysically and visually. The personalities and emotions are well portrayed and the visuals were simply astounding. It was also very interesting to see how they developed the characters and explained aPixar films traditionally have that indescribable touch to them that always keeps you watching and Monsters University maintains that touch. I really felt the characters come alive, both metaphysically and visually. The personalities and emotions are well portrayed and the visuals were simply astounding. It was also very interesting to see how they developed the characters and explained a little behind Mike and Sully's friendship. Monsters University also features lots of a great slapstick humor to keep you laughing for days and as always, it is endearing to all age groups which is of course another hallmark of Pixar.

The Pixar touch aside, I did find the plot disappointing. It felt incredibly stock a standard tale that has been heard a thousand times before. Sure, it had a few unexpected twists and turns but even despite them, you could often guess the next five minutes at any given point in the movie. Pixar is better than this. They invented the wild crazy world of Toy Story where the plots were as unpredictable the next new character. They produced The Incredibles which finally gave us some superhumans to talk about other than our beloved mid twentieth century comic book heroes. They gave us Up, WALL-E, and Finding Nemo. All great stories that kept you wondering what happened next. Monsters University on the other hand...like I said. You could forecast ahead more than was acceptable. Boring! Still for what its worth, it was enjoyable. Not Pixar's best but certainly not their worst either.
  25. Oct 25, 2013
    I watched this out of dedication to Monsters Inc., a film that I love since it's release. But this was completely childlike and had no direct statement unlike the first film. Kids at least six years old would like this, but not me.
  26. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now where do I began with this. Now when I went to see Monsters University in theaters last year I was disappointed. The Story doesn't make too much sense. I understand this is a prequel to Monsters Inc but the way it plays just doesn't excite me. It starts off with Mike going to University to becoming a scary Monster. He finds himself having a hard time trying to roar. Then Sully comes along and he became a jerk towards Mike. Also the monster Deam Hardscrabbble says that the monsters have to complete an exam to determine if they scary enough to become a real monster. If the exam is failed then they are out of the scary program. Which is understanble. I will admit there are some funny scenes but something about the characters didn't appeal to me. Anyways when the final test comes Mike has to prove himself that he is a scary monster after all the training they did. But when Mike scared the simulated kid he automatically wins (which by the way that was a small roar). Mike becomes suspiscous and learns that Sully was the one that made him when. Meaning that he made Mike cheat. He becomes so upset he goes into the Human world from a door. Sully has to find him and apolgize. Soon the cops (in the human world) came to look for the monsters. Sully and Mike set up an abush where Sully comes out and the ropes tangled the cops and Sully roars loudly at the cops causing the scream cans in the Monster world to go crazy. Even HARDSCRABBLE was surprised. So after that incident Mike and Sully were expelled. Meaning they haven't learn a thing. Then after that they find a work place at Monsters INC factory (which marks the begin of Monsters INC) and thats when the movie ends. Overall this movie is a guilty pleasure to me, it didn't have that same emotion to it like Monsters Inc did and the story doesn't make too much sense. So yeah I give it a 6.5/10. You may disagree with me but thats how I felt in my opinion Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jul 12, 2013
    Pixar falls back on the tried and tested in an entertaining caper that will be a surefire kid pleaser this summer. Old favourites are always welcome, but it would have been nice to see some more new ideas too.
  2. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Jul 12, 2013
    While Monsters University can’t claim outright originality, this is a far richer movie than most were expecting.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jul 12, 2013
    The animation is photoreal – startlingly and mesmerisingly so. And the depth of feeling the tale of their friendship evokes is matched only by your incredulity, as you paw at your eyes six minutes later, that you are crying about two computer-generated umbrellas.