Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 21, 2013
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 614 Ratings
WATCH NOW
mapizarroJun 21, 2013
If you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. LaughesIf you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. Laughes are guaranteed. Expand
MovieGoer14Jun 29, 2013
I was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever momentsI was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever moments and insightful animation. Expand
ceefrostyJun 21, 2013
If you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen andIf you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen and I was still excited the entire time. This movie is also worth seeing in 3D. The animation is amazing. #seeit Expand
conboydudeJun 23, 2013
Being as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you hadBeing as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you had time as a kid to grow up with these movies they add so many little things from the original one into the movie, they add characters, items, and even phrases. All these little cameos and being able to relive my childhood for that hour and half was amazing. Not just the movie made me appreciate not only the film it self. But growing up sucks. Fantastic piece of nostalgia and a fantastic film. Expand
ThegodfathersonJun 22, 2013
Until Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and SulleyUntil Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) are funny enough and their relationship rich enough to make the back story worth telling. The result is a charming addition to the Monsters canon. Expand
Pablo22Jun 29, 2013
Pixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever andPixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever and funny jokes but some just felt kinda dumb and meaningless like the majority of the animated movies that have come out in these past years. Also the movie's second act felt a little empty.
But at the beginning of MU I was laughing at many clever things that I notices and I was surprised at an unexpected turn that the prologue took. Speaking of surprises, the third act of this movie was my favorite part of it and maybe one of my favorite "final part" of any Pixar movie. It was clever, surprising and emotionally charged!
Also one little thing that I want to highlight is the university man! They did an awesome job building it and creating the ambient of it. Especially at one scene at night I am gonna say, I felt in Disney Land. It was colorful and living.
So in the end this movie was what I expect a good Pixar movie to be and I hope they keep in this direction and not stray into another (I'm talking to you Cars 2).
iknowhatsbestJun 30, 2013
This a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original toThis a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monsters inc again. My only complaint about this,and all other pixar movies is the long wait between the sequels, almost ten years wait after every movie! Expand
LansdenrsJun 21, 2013
This isn't an emotional journey. It's not even close to beating wall-e or up. But it is an extravagant adventure. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and has a very good message.
manjuananthJun 23, 2013
It is the best movie I've ever seen. The graphics were really awesome and I was crying at the end. The third act is also very interesting but I don't want to spoil anything. It is simply the best movie I've ever seen.
mrwilkersJul 3, 2013
We took the kids to this (8 and 5 years old) and really enjoyed the movie. Good fun for the whole family and enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.
GarnicaBrandonMJul 6, 2013
WOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watchingWOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watching the movie made me reminisce about the past when I was scared of monsters. Pixar nailed this one and to me, it is an instant childhood classic. Expand
ERB2Aug 9, 2013
This movie is actually good.The movie is funny and has a good story.This movie might not be as good as the first one but still I consider this as one of the best movies this year.
Apoe7Jun 21, 2013
This film brought back what Pixar is all about. It had all the action and necessary plot points to entertain the older audience but keep the kids happy with the laughs and seeing their favorite characters. It was enjoyable, fun, and with aThis film brought back what Pixar is all about. It had all the action and necessary plot points to entertain the older audience but keep the kids happy with the laughs and seeing their favorite characters. It was enjoyable, fun, and with a message that will help those that are at the point of choosing what to do with their lives. It may not be as great as the original (as it is true with other films) but it is exceptionally better than Pixar's previous two attempts (Brave & Cars 2). Pixar chose accurately when to release this sequel.
P.S. John Goodman and Billy Crystal are as great as ever.
drlowdonDec 24, 2013
Overall Monsters University is not quite as clever, or as funny, as its predecessor but the great cast of characters, and Disney Pixar's usually flair, makes for another enjoyable hour and a half of animated comedy.
utmamJul 2, 2013
I will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's aI will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's a bit cheesy at times, but there were plenty of laughs. The subtle tie-ins to the first were creative and laugh-out-loud funny. As adults, we've seen this story before (Revenge of the Nerds, Animal House, etc) but this is new for kids, and my daughters loved it. The animation is exactly what you'd expect from Pixar and the writing is crisp and doesn't get bogged down in character development. If you haven't seen it, please leave your expectations at home. That way, you will enjoy it. Expand
DrChocolateJun 28, 2013
Another film to add to Pixar's classics. I enjoyed it even more than the original. While there is no Boo to make the film sentimental, the film's messages are poignant enough without her. Highly recommended.
Nostalgic9tailsJul 16, 2013
A fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the endingA fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the ending seemed a bit tacked on and it wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. They seemed to sort of rush the cameos of the first film's characters too, like the Snowman and Roz. Otherwise, the film had that Disney/Pixar charm that I've grown to love, with inventive characters, exciting visuals and the perfect balance of joyous and heart wrenching scenes. It's well worth the price of admission for any fan. Expand
genericusenameJun 23, 2013
Not any better or worse than the original. Not as great as other Pixar movies, but it still had that charm Monsters Inc had. It was well written with a basic but enjoyable plot. I was hoping for a little bit more, but it was solid all around.
MurozakiJul 10, 2013
It may not achieve the quality level of the first one, but 'Monsters University' still have the soul that resides on it's charismatic characters and it's Pixar's best film since 'Toy Story 3'.
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
For Pixar, Monsters University stops the bleeding. In the wake of two disappointing films, 2012's lackluster Brave and 2011's misfire Cars 2, the animation company has returned to solid footing with a prequel to their 2001 entry, MonstersFor Pixar, Monsters University stops the bleeding. In the wake of two disappointing films, 2012's lackluster Brave and 2011's misfire Cars 2, the animation company has returned to solid footing with a prequel to their 2001 entry, Monsters Inc. Although there is undoubtedly a financial foundation for mining past successes, Monsters University is nevertheless a charming, family friendly endeavor and, although it falls short of the best Pixar has brought to the screen over its long association with Disney, it's nevertheless worth a trip to the theater, especially for kids.

As was true of Monsters Inc., Monsters University gets most of its mileage out of the atypical friendship between the big, furry Sullivan (voice of John Goodman) and the little green Cyclops Mike (Billy Crystal). Since Monsters Inc. effectively wrapped up going-forward story possibilities, the creative team elected to go the prequel route, so this is the tale of how Mike and Sullivan met, overcame an initial rivalry, and became friends. Although pitched at a level that won't bore adults, the film's content is kid-centered, complete with life lessons about the values of friendship, cooperation, and believing in oneself and others.

Computer generated animation has long since reached a plateau level where the artwork results in the kinds of "oohs" and "aahs" that it once did. We rarely notice the richness of detail evident especially in the background the way we once did because every animated film boasts this - it's expected. Monsters University maintains the standard of quality expected from Pixar although, as is too often the case, the incorporation of 3-D is of dubious value. Seen in 2-D, this is a bright, cheerful motion picture. The tradeoff for getting things to pop off the screen is that the colors aren't as vibrant. I feel like a broken record making this comment: some animated films benefit from 3-D but it's hard to argue that Monsters University is one of them.

Pixar's decision to develop some of their most popular movies into franchises hit a rough patch when Cars 2 failed to perform up to expectations. Monsters University, however, makes the argument that this may have been an unfortunate exception. Although the second Monsters movie won't challenge Toy Story 2 or Toy Story 3 as the best sequel to emerge from the studio, it's a strong enough animated film to rise to the top of summer family-friendly fare. The energy and comedy are strong and the only thing off-color is the palette when seen through 3-D lenses. This isn't a home run for Disney/Pixar but it's a solid double.
YellowKirbyDec 11, 2015
Lots of people either say this sucked, or that this was only decent/okay. I thought it was great! It's bright, colourful and playful. Mike, Sully and Randall return, for more monster-sized fun. It obviously wasn't as good as the first one,Lots of people either say this sucked, or that this was only decent/okay. I thought it was great! It's bright, colourful and playful. Mike, Sully and Randall return, for more monster-sized fun. It obviously wasn't as good as the first one, but it has a good story and breath-taking animation, so I don't see where all the hate comes from. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 15, 2016
Okay, I'm sure everyone wanted a sequel more than a prequel, but Pixar's first attempt at a prequel was never done until this came out in 2013 (One of the greatest years) and it's a good one too even though it revealed plot holes to theOkay, I'm sure everyone wanted a sequel more than a prequel, but Pixar's first attempt at a prequel was never done until this came out in 2013 (One of the greatest years) and it's a good one too even though it revealed plot holes to the original Monsters, Inc., but who really cares about that anyways? Expand
ROFLoomJun 21, 2013
Much better than Pixar's last 2 attempts (Cars 2, Brave) a cute fun motion picture, beautifully animated of course, just lacks that special Pixar emotional roller coaster. Still holds some Disney magic, and for a prequel fairly well done. IMuch better than Pixar's last 2 attempts (Cars 2, Brave) a cute fun motion picture, beautifully animated of course, just lacks that special Pixar emotional roller coaster. Still holds some Disney magic, and for a prequel fairly well done. I will have to watch it several more times, but as for now I will say its good, not a Pixar classic, but good. Expand
BikerjamesJun 24, 2013
Monsters University is certainly a step up from the last two disappointments (Cars 2 and Brave), but it isn't quite as good as the original. The original had Boo, who was the heart and soul of the film. Without her, the film focuses solelyMonsters University is certainly a step up from the last two disappointments (Cars 2 and Brave), but it isn't quite as good as the original. The original had Boo, who was the heart and soul of the film. Without her, the film focuses solely on Mike and Sully and the plot is the basic sorority film you've seen many times. Most of it was predictable, but it was entertaining and had some good laughs. I saw it in a full theater with lots of kids and the film captured their attention. As always, the animation itself is first rate and looks terrific. I did not see it in 3D so cannot comment on that. Expand
SirSX3Jul 29, 2013
I waited 12 years for a sequel to Monsters Inc., (I was looking forward to Boo reuniting with the duo) but we got a prequel instead. Regardless, I enjoyed it.
This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which
This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which mostly focus on Sullivan. The best part of the film is the opening and the ending; the main portion of the film is alright, but the start and the end is great.
Despite being a follow-up, this film feels like it's its own movie. (instead of trying too hard to make it similar to the original)

Has room for improvement, but great time regardless. 4 out of 5 stars.
Jarbas6Jun 23, 2013
NO MAJOR SPOILERS
NO MAJOR SPOILERS
This is basically a love letter for fans of the first movie. Monsters, Inc. was my favorite movie of all time and University has so many details that will have you remind yourself from the first movie. For example, the monster from the first movie that had a human sock stuck in his back shows up a few times and these little moments bring a lot of nostalgia.
MU isn't the best movie ever; as this is a prequel to Monsters, Inc. it's missing a key emotional element, Boo, which makes it much more a comedy movie than an emotional journey; but Monsters University does have a lesson to learn from that hasn't been much explored by many other motion pictures and if you see the movie you'll understand me.
Monsters University isn't as heart warming and well scripted as the first movie, but it isn't really meant to be. It's meant to be a fun prequel serving as a love letter to fans of the brilliant Monsters Inc. And it does so very well.
dharmaJul 17, 2013
Monsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the otherMonsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the other studios. While the plot runs around in a straight forward manner, MU ends up strongly, and in an exciting note to boot as well. Nevertheless, we need more of their more original materials from now on, not their sequels. This is where Pixar excels the most. Expand
lasttimeisawDec 24, 2013
I haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But startI haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But start afresh, MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is no less entertaining than any other Pixar-labelled “high-art” animations, although it doesn’t reach the peak where the one-two-three punch WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10) has thrived.

It is a standard college comedy, reminiscent of Harry Potter trio’s adventure in Hogwarts, Mike being a male version of Hermoine the know-it-all, studious but more aggressive and pertinacious; Sullivan is the golden boy who struts and banters for popularity with his inborn stature and family prestige. So from foes to friends they have to learn their lessons in a hard way, Mike being an overachieving geek in the wrong game and Sullivan squandering his time and talent and taking a lofty goal for granted, twist number one; next step, an underdog’s team work to crown the champion in the scary competition, but an indiscreet but understandable machine-rigging undermines the victory, this is twist number two; then an extravaganza into the toxic human world comes to a climax shows the pair’s true potentiality and produces the twist number three; then unlike the conventional happy ending in Disney world, the twist number four heartwarmingly brings them into a niche place and avers one maxim, there isn’t only one way to reach your goal.

Since Mike and Sullivan aren’t exactly the funny wisecrackers, all assortment of monster sidekicks not only have to arrest your glances but also elicit laughters, frankly speaking, the belly-laughing moments are not so frequent as RIO (2011, 8/10) for instance, and occasionally it loses momentum in its execution of the story, the five rounds of competition are unevenly exposed. Randy Newman’s music is still uplifting and all-age friendly, but the excitement doesn’t register anymore, still the brand of Pixar is aiming to a youngster-slanting demography for the sake of maximizing the profit, but the story of undergraduates and fraternity could be more nostalgic to adult audiences, its wavering standpoint may cause detriment and set a barricade to retain the golden medal as the torchbearer in the business above and beyond its unparalleled production team.
skyminsterJul 30, 2013
Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good isMonsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original, but this new one is brilliant, as it has a hilarious script and moments, fun action scenes, and great character building. My favourite character of the film has to be Art, he is hilarious! I love the action filled suspence and comedy of the 'Scare Games', and like the unexpecdted twists, but I don't want to spoil anything. So I give this film a... 94/100! Expand
FrinkerAug 27, 2013
Not a 10/10 masterpiece like Toy Story or Finding Nemo however for its premise it does everything right. I enjoyed the whole thing, never felt bored, laughed out loud and even had some great nostalgic moments!
AwesomeReviewerJun 24, 2013
“Monsters University” has a simple and quite predictable story, as we already know that Mike and Sully will end up as friends at the end. However, the journey is more important than the destination and along the way we tackle themes of“Monsters University” has a simple and quite predictable story, as we already know that Mike and Sully will end up as friends at the end. However, the journey is more important than the destination and along the way we tackle themes of defying expectation. While the story is predictable, the writers and directors manage to throw a little surprise here and there. From some interesting character moments to laugh out loud situations. It’s sort of light on heart, but the film is engaging enough and the movie gets better as it progresses.

The main characters, Mike and Sully, retain much of their charm in this prequel. Mike takes the lead in this recent outing. He’s sweet, optimistic, and crazily dedicated. Sully is laid back, a slacker, and a bit insecure. However, it’s great to see him develop into the master scarer he is in the original film. It’s really fun to see how their relationship develops. Their constant bantering and butting of heads is fun to watch and the sweeter moments are endearing. There are some newer characters in the film as well and they add a lot of charm and humor to the film. My personal favorites are Art, a purple hairy monster with long legs, and Squishy, a awkwardly round monster, who gets some of the best laughs in the movie.

Aside from story, Pixar’s greatest strength is animation and this film has some of their best. The colors are vibrant and the hair effects are fluid. The one down side are the character designs. The main cast is fine, but some of the background characters just aren’t unique and look similar to one another. Randy Newman’s score is effective for the movie, but lacks a memorable spark. The score is just filled with generic college music, but it still weaves in some interesting emotional bits.

Overall, “Monsters University” is a fun and enjoyable film. While it doesn’t reach any emotional highs and the beginning is rocky, it has some really great laughs. The animation is top class even though some of the character designs are “meh” and the score is effective, but leaves more to be desired. It’s a great way for Pixar to get back on track. I give it 3.5/5, great fun and an extremely enjoyable time.
JrAgujaIsAGleekDec 25, 2013
Although it doesn't have the heart of its original, Monsters University is worth the wait with its interesting and entertaning origins of our favorite characters.
Dune_JumperDec 30, 2013
About time Pixar made a good movie again.
............................................................................................................
OfficialDec 16, 2013
First off, "Monsters University" is not as good as "Monsters Inc.". But the same magic in most Pixar movies is once again re-created in this touching prequel. It's still good fun for families, which would make kids burst out with laughter,First off, "Monsters University" is not as good as "Monsters Inc.". But the same magic in most Pixar movies is once again re-created in this touching prequel. It's still good fun for families, which would make kids burst out with laughter, and adults pulling a silly grin on their face here and there. Expand
ReubenIsAGodSep 14, 2013
Its a pretty godamn good movie that's fun for the whole family, while not as good as the first and not as emotionally heart throbbing, monsters University manages to be something different and yet comfortably at home in a good way, 8/10
bonnin40Jun 27, 2013
Monsters university is a fantastic movie, and a really great prequel to the original, monsters inc, which was released 12 years ago. im not going to blow the plot, ill leave that to you, the viewer. however what i can say, is that this movieMonsters university is a fantastic movie, and a really great prequel to the original, monsters inc, which was released 12 years ago. im not going to blow the plot, ill leave that to you, the viewer. however what i can say, is that this movie is one of those movies that just gets everything right. characters, animation, atmosphere, music, story,everything this movie does is top notch, and fits perfectly to coincide with monsters inc, it doesnt add or take away anything crucial from its predecessor. the movie also has alot of great messages, that not only work for kids, but also for older viewers as well, and the main message of the movie is suprisingly realistic, rather that just an obvious message in a perfect world, that youll see when you watch the movie. its also good to note that the movie looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, especially in 3d, and the voice acting is top notch, with billy crystal and john goodman as mike and sully gicing fantastic performances. the jokes are very funny as well. the movie also has alot of ups and downs that i feel are well executed, as well as parts that really tug at the heartstrings. I grew up with monsters inc as a kid, and seeing as this will be my first year of college, it makes this movie even more special, and that was the targeted audience for this movie. similair to how toy story 3 was released for the kids of its generation, that are now grown up and going away to school, so was this one. this is the best pixar movie ive seen in a while, and i highly reccomend it to any kids, or teens that grew up with the first movie. it really is a special movie, and its one of the best pixar movies ive seen in a while. Expand
SmeeJul 19, 2013
well written script with decent animations and full of humor .So hard to guess the story even in a an animation movie so curiosity there till the end.This the best animation movie after the croods in 2013
Rox22Dec 2, 2013
This is an old school frat movie (monsters Inc style.) True, it follows every cliche in the book, with the Monsters spin they all feel fresh and fun to watch again.

The animation is top notch and all the central characters are done really

The animation is top notch and all the central characters are done really well. But, I do feel that they threw in too many side characters that looked really interesting, yet never really touched upon. They're either purely decorative or plot devices. A shame.

To be honest, I didn't think Monsters University was as funny as the first movie, BUT, it had allot more depth and Mike & Sullivan's character are given some really great and moving scenes that Crystal and Goodman do very well.

Overall:
While Monsters University isn't the the same as the first movie, it is just as good. It's both deep and light hearted. A fun movie that perhaps could have used a few more laughs. Still, a great movie worth watching.
Mamau234Jun 21, 2013
Monsters University is great, of course the first one is better, but this has all the good elements the sequel has. Its funny, has a very entertaining story, deep relationship between Mike and Sully, and of course, lots of amazing designed monsters.
RantAboutFutureJul 10, 2013
Wow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared theWow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared the same heart as the first Monster's movie and it was as cute, funny, and endearing as the first one. I really liked that they did not use the movie as an opportunity to parody college, but instead painted an interesting back story using it as the setting for the Monsters. All in all, great fun. I will add that I would give the first movie a 10, too, so that's where this 10 is coming from as well a fan of the first. If you haven't seen it, don't worry, you don't need to, but if you DID see the first and you didn't like it, you probably won't like this one. Expand
survivorfan989Jul 12, 2013
I was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watchingI was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watching how Mike & Sully meet and the prequel idea worked very well despite me having doubts. A lot of it is fun for the kids but big kids at heart like myself will still certainly enjoy it, especially fans of the first film. Overall a big thumbs up! Expand
M4U93Jul 1, 2013
This movies is so freaking good! It starts kind of slow but then it engages you until the end and it really does an excellent job. I am 20 and i was laughing like a child at the theatre, mainly because the connection to the previous movie.This movies is so freaking good! It starts kind of slow but then it engages you until the end and it really does an excellent job. I am 20 and i was laughing like a child at the theatre, mainly because the connection to the previous movie. Totally recommended. Expand
SimpleMethodJul 6, 2013
An almost return to form for Pixar after the disaster known as Cars 2. While MU isn't the best pixar movie, and most likely due to the lack of Boo, it provides solid, cute entertainment.
98ocarinaJul 2, 2013
I loved the original and thought that this one was almost as good, and it's a great family movie. The only problem I had was that some of the plot points were ruined as I knew what was going to happen because it was a prequel.
scott8798Jul 11, 2013
Monster's University is a fine movie, especially for young kids. This movie is more of a prequel, focusing on how Mike and Sully met. It's been 12 years, after all, since we've seen Pixar's favorite one eyed and turquoise monster's. If youMonster's University is a fine movie, especially for young kids. This movie is more of a prequel, focusing on how Mike and Sully met. It's been 12 years, after all, since we've seen Pixar's favorite one eyed and turquoise monster's. If you have kids, take them to see this movie. It has witty jokes and good lessons for lessons. But if you're expecting another Monster's Inc., you might find yourself disappointed. The plot isn't as rich as Monster's Inc. was in 2001, and the theme doesn't transcend as much to adults. Many have said that Pixar's golden age has passed. Personally, I don't believe that we can't see another great movie from John Lasseter, but with recent movies like Cars 2 and Brave, the bar has not been hit. Also, many of the other animation studios have caught up to Pixar. Sony Pictures is creating another Smurfs movie, Fox animation has Rio, and Dreamworks has a couple of strong franchises like Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar. Pixar really has to hit the right nail with Finding Dory. Expand
blakewilsonJun 30, 2013
Funny and whimsical, Monsters University is exactly in line with its' predecessor, a feat many sequels ever achieve. The movie is an old-fashioned family treat that only Pixar can put together. Great animation, great comedy and screenplay,Funny and whimsical, Monsters University is exactly in line with its' predecessor, a feat many sequels ever achieve. The movie is an old-fashioned family treat that only Pixar can put together. Great animation, great comedy and screenplay, and solid messages on friendship and learning from our failures in life make this another perfectly solid Pixar effort.

Now, it is surprisingly light on emotional moments, which made movies like Up, WALL-E and Brave a bit better than this. And the films' brief college parties may require the need for discussion. But this is yet another well-crafted animated movie the whole family can see.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
DusksparkJun 30, 2013
I remember seeing "Monsters Inc" as a kid, and how it kept me and even my parents bringing it up every now and then. "Monsters University" is beyond what you hoped for. It's funny and entertaining from start to finish, and as nostalgic as canI remember seeing "Monsters Inc" as a kid, and how it kept me and even my parents bringing it up every now and then. "Monsters University" is beyond what you hoped for. It's funny and entertaining from start to finish, and as nostalgic as can be. To see how the characters we know and love (or hate, huh, Randall?) from the original "Monsters Inc" all met each other or how they got to where they are. Although it is not as emotionally touching as "Monsters Inc", and I personally think the movie is a bit too focussed around Mike rather than the duo, it is definately one of Pixar's best. Expand
CannonBlasterJul 20, 2013
This movie makes me happy....but in all seriousness this movie is great. It does suffer from some unnessary references to the original and it can get very cliche at times. MU is a very enjoyable film.
SEROJJul 11, 2013
I had really low expectations for this movie, because i thought they were going to ruin it, just like they did with "Cars". But i'm extremely impressed by "Monsters University"! I never thought i was going to say that, because i had lowI had really low expectations for this movie, because i thought they were going to ruin it, just like they did with "Cars". But i'm extremely impressed by "Monsters University"! I never thought i was going to say that, because i had low expectations but this one is even better than the original "Monsters Inc"! I watched it twice in the theaters and can't wait for it's release on dvd and blu-ray. My score is 8/10 Expand
EpicWinGuyAug 30, 2013
Its good to see how it all began before Sullivan and Mike went to Monsters Inc. The jokes were spot on, and the animation was fantastic, but i somehow lacked connection with the main characters. Also, if you didn't watch the first movie,Its good to see how it all began before Sullivan and Mike went to Monsters Inc. The jokes were spot on, and the animation was fantastic, but i somehow lacked connection with the main characters. Also, if you didn't watch the first movie, DON'T WATCH THIS ONE YET. This movie will be much more enjoyable if you see the Inc. one first, and then the prequel. Expand
Movie1997Jun 26, 2013
80% of the time, this movie tends to bring back what i loved most from "Monsters Inc". I was really surprised to have loved this movie more than i thought she would. I mean, after "Cars 2" and "Brave" I was afraid that Pixar was starting to80% of the time, this movie tends to bring back what i loved most from "Monsters Inc". I was really surprised to have loved this movie more than i thought she would. I mean, after "Cars 2" and "Brave" I was afraid that Pixar was starting to loose it. And when i heard that they were making a prequel to one of the best Pixar movies ever, I really started loosing hope. But it turns out, i really loved it. It's not exactly the typical Pixar gold, but it's starting to head back on the right track. There are some things that make this movie lack, like some of the characters, but then there are those such as Mike and Sulley, and some other characters that really help make this movie great. I love how it tries to go back to some of the emotional appeal that most of the Pixar movies have had in the past. Sadly, it doesn't always work out (in a sense). But it still manages to go back to its old ways, which is what I love that this movie tries to accomplish. Overall, it's starting to get back to its original Pixar ways. Expand
DGKZSep 22, 2013
I loved Monsters Inc. when I was a kid and I definitely liked Monsters University too, great production even if I didn't like the story very much. Overall a good throwback to the old days.
BadbartboyJun 24, 2013
Pixar have redeemed themselves after cars 2 and brave with Monsters Uni, even though it was a prequel that felt a bit unnecessary really we want a sequel to the incredibles) it was a solid effort that reminds people that Pixar still havePixar have redeemed themselves after cars 2 and brave with Monsters Uni, even though it was a prequel that felt a bit unnecessary really we want a sequel to the incredibles) it was a solid effort that reminds people that Pixar still have some form of movie magic although clearly nowhere close to the magic of Toy Story 3 Expand
SeveredWingAug 22, 2013
A great prequel to a movie that received its fair share of fame when it was first released, but has since really fallen to the wayside. I was delighted to hear this movie was in the mix though a bit skeptical about the plot that had beenA great prequel to a movie that received its fair share of fame when it was first released, but has since really fallen to the wayside. I was delighted to hear this movie was in the mix though a bit skeptical about the plot that had been chosen. Would the movie have a strong enough draw without the adorable "Boo" to ground the antics in a aura of reality? The answer is yes, it does have enough draw. While a kind of 80's comedy flair may be over the heads of most children it gives adults plenty of reason to watch it as well and enjoy many of the subtle jokes that abound in regards to classic films like "Back to School" and "Revenge of the Nerds". A great overall prequel that has both heart and comedy. Expand
PStakhivJul 21, 2013
Much better than "Despicable Me", right now it's probably the best animation of 2013! Reasonably funny, nice setting, it also has a great and satisfying conclusion! One of the best Pixar picture
ICEExMagicJul 6, 2013
This movie is great.I really like the college setting.The story is great,the characters are entertaining and the perfect prequel to Monsters Inc.,but I think it's better than Monsters Inc.
Salsand3rJan 6, 2014
If my bias for this beloved series prevailed, I would without a doubt given Monster's University a 10/10. I have loved Monster's Inc. seeing it for the first time when I was five and continue to love it now a teenager preparing for college.If my bias for this beloved series prevailed, I would without a doubt given Monster's University a 10/10. I have loved Monster's Inc. seeing it for the first time when I was five and continue to love it now a teenager preparing for college. Speaking of my age, Pixar nailed the timing of this movie. Many viewers who saw Monster's Inc. when around 4-8 when it was aired in theaters (around 12 years ago from this film) are about to enter or already are in college. The themes of the exciting opportunities that await in the transition into a young adult are present throughout the film, and are relevant to many teens who might be anxious or possibly afraid of their future. Better yet, Mike Wazowski doesn't end up being the scarer he's always dreamed of, but his experience at college opens up a new door he didn't expect would be as satisfying. It's a satisfying conclusion for those who may not be getting everything they desire in life. The only glaring issue with MU is it's predictable, being a prequel. However, there is a twist near the end that does change the tides a little bit. A majority of the characters are excellent, especially the members of Oozma Kappa, although Randal's transition from a friendly roommate to competitive antagonist is too quick. I wish Pixar worked a little harder on Randal's character. Additionally, the plot is not oscar winning and may not be as emotionally gripping without Boo, but the animation is stellar and perhaps the best I've seen in a pixar movie. There is a high attention of detail in the bustling University campus giving incentive rewatch the movie to notice small details such as Randal's "The Winds of Change" poster. Speaking of that, there are tons of Monster's Inc. references that fans will eat up. Monster's University is a great movie, but may feel a little run-of-the-mill if you are not a fan of the series, however it is still a great animation. Expand
cheekygobl1nSep 1, 2013
M.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this isM.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this is because they were to cliche. with the exception of the old man, i don't know but i liked him. Why, oh why are pixar so good at making me emotional unlike any other film. I love pixar. Expand
callumjsouthDec 13, 2014
Everyone loves Monsters Inc. Now, the same will be true for Monsters University. We dive further into the stories of Mike and Sulley and I was hooked. The film takes advantage of our love for the characters and throws them into a genuinelyEveryone loves Monsters Inc. Now, the same will be true for Monsters University. We dive further into the stories of Mike and Sulley and I was hooked. The film takes advantage of our love for the characters and throws them into a genuinely enjoyable film for all ages. It is one of the more entertaining and admirable Disney films I've seen in a while and it's hard to find flaws. Despite all the positives, it's most obvious flaw is that it's not as good as Monsters Inc. Which is sad, but understandable. Expand
tylerdurden1Jun 22, 2013
Kudos to Pixar for a very solid outing in putting out a prequel that can be enjoyed by children and adults! The lessons taught in this movie are good for children and the laughter to be had is suitable for adults yet kid friendly. Hope theyKudos to Pixar for a very solid outing in putting out a prequel that can be enjoyed by children and adults! The lessons taught in this movie are good for children and the laughter to be had is suitable for adults yet kid friendly. Hope they do a sequel now! Expand
Ashley1998Aug 16, 2013
Very entertaining film, packed with great jokes and humor, a very satisfying prequel. The plot was interesting and had some great characters, not leaving you bored at all. Highly recommended
MalevolentSep 9, 2013
This is probably my favorite Pixar movie ever. It was so funny. My sisters and I really enjoyed it. It gave me an idea of what college is really like. It made me want to see the first movie again.
DCMarvel18Jul 2, 2013
I don't see why there is so much hate for this movie. I'll admit it's not Pixar's best film, but it's definitely not it's worst. I enjoyed all of the references it made to the first film, some are hidden, so look out for those. This movie hadI don't see why there is so much hate for this movie. I'll admit it's not Pixar's best film, but it's definitely not it's worst. I enjoyed all of the references it made to the first film, some are hidden, so look out for those. This movie had a lot more action than I expected. It also had it's fair share of comedic moments, but not as much as I expected. This movie introduces a whole plethora of new characters with spectacular actors to do the voices such as Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscrabble, Nathan Fillion as Johnny Worthington, and my personal favorite, Charlie Day's character, Art. Don't listen to the critics, this movie is still filled with loads of Pixar-y goodness that any fan of animated films will enjoy. Expand
AReviewsJun 22, 2013
"Monsters University" is way too better than latest Pixar movies (Brave, Cars 2) this movie is still funny, entertaining and full of heart, but it isn't big as the first one which is a classic, still Monsters University is really good and"Monsters University" is way too better than latest Pixar movies (Brave, Cars 2) this movie is still funny, entertaining and full of heart, but it isn't big as the first one which is a classic, still Monsters University is really good and worth the watch and wait. Expand
Knockout4Jul 13, 2013
This doesn't nearly deliver as much nostalgia as we'd expect from the great PIXAR, but is certainly a step in the right direction, and definitely provides an entertaining and humorous experience.
bwirtJun 28, 2013
An amazing follow up to the classic Monsters Inc that will leave you wanting more! The soundtrack is great! And the story line is awesome. No matter your age, you will love this movie!
loonyTubesJul 2, 2013
Monsters University was a joy to watch. Equally entertaining and stunningly animated. I do however feel it didn't quite live up to Pixar's esteemed lineage of films with the ability to captivate equally- young children, teenagers and adults.Monsters University was a joy to watch. Equally entertaining and stunningly animated. I do however feel it didn't quite live up to Pixar's esteemed lineage of films with the ability to captivate equally- young children, teenagers and adults. As a final year university student- the antics of Mike and Sully reminded me of great experiences i'd had and some I wish I'd had. Many younger children in the theatre however began to lose interest as the story developed.

Overal another incredible film by the titan of animation studios that is Pixar which unfortunately did not live up to its predecessors.
jetstarJul 15, 2013
Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite childhood movies. Now there's prequel for it, but does it still have the things that we loved from the first movie? The first movie made me laugh for a lot of times, but in these prequel the the jokesMonsters Inc. was one of my favorite childhood movies. Now there's prequel for it, but does it still have the things that we loved from the first movie? The first movie made me laugh for a lot of times, but in these prequel the the jokes weren't funny at all. The movie lacked fresh jokes which is a bummer, considering that the first movie was damn funny. A lot of characters were not explored, which I guess that they wanted to focus more on Mike and Sully, but it would have been really nice for us to know more about those other characters. For me, the story kinda felt a bit cliche, there was nothing new or fresh, which is another letdown because this is a prequel or an origin story that should show something new to the fans. I still had a lot of fun watching these movie and it had some nice throwback scenes from the first movie. I am going to give Monsters University an 8/10. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
While the only thing that stops it from becoming a masterpiece is the fact that it is a prequel (which almost every prequel suffers with), "Monsters University" is a true delight. With a hilarious tale with emotion put into it, "MonstersWhile the only thing that stops it from becoming a masterpiece is the fact that it is a prequel (which almost every prequel suffers with), "Monsters University" is a true delight. With a hilarious tale with emotion put into it, "Monsters University" uses the wit of its world to create a delightful and hilarious origin for the original Pixar film, "Monsters Inc.".
The first act, which starts out well, shows the story of Mike Wazowski, and it is done quite well. The writers in the film did a wonderful job displaying the perfect explanation of college life and it gives a bunch of laughs to any person who has dealt with the difficult life in college. While the first act turns into the second act, it can slightly edge towards a more kid-friendly idea. The second act, which features the "Scare Games", may be predictable, as it deals with underdogs coming to the top, but its use of its world puts depth into each round if the competition. As the movie takes a surprisingly twist to the third act, the movie enters to an dark and deep climax that clicks with the message, and makes this movie stronger and deeper in emotions. The ending will lead towards the beginning of "Monsters Inc.", which I truly enjoyed, knowing that I could watch the movie right after. Overall, the first act and the third act are more powerful towards the message in the movie (I won't spoil it to readers who haven't watched the movie yet), and in my case, are the more powerful parts to this film. The second act is fun and enjoyable, but it lacks the Pixar quality compared to the brilliant parts that come with the first and third act. To some what sum the message in the movie, it is one that many kid movies wouldn't even think of telling, and once again proves that Pixar is at the top of the animated class. While "Monsters University" has a not too deep and a predictable second act, it is still a wonderful, hilarious, and beautifully animated film, as the first and third act strengthened it.
While although the score doesn't seem high on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, I am concerned due to the fact that this movie isn't as bad as it was rated from several critics, and when reading several reviews, it leads me to believe that several critics judge the film to what they wanted to see, and not whats there. The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't judge films based on their studio's streak, and you should judge from what's there. If you can enjoy "Monsters University" for what it is and not how good it is compared to other Pixar classics, you are almost guaranteed to have a wonderful and enjoyable time.
Kevinxavier08Jul 6, 2013
Even with the G rating, Monster University is enjoyable for all ages. This film features strong plot, unique character, nice characters development and also some gleeful humor. even this film is not as thrilling as Monster Inc, this film isEven with the G rating, Monster University is enjoyable for all ages. This film features strong plot, unique character, nice characters development and also some gleeful humor. even this film is not as thrilling as Monster Inc, this film is this year must see film. Expand
EpiclukoJul 9, 2013
Going into this movie, I thought it would be extremely underwhelming, mainly because of it main setting. However, I found myself enjoying it very much. It may not be as timeless as its predecessor, but M.U. holds its own with its enjoyableGoing into this movie, I thought it would be extremely underwhelming, mainly because of it main setting. However, I found myself enjoying it very much. It may not be as timeless as its predecessor, but M.U. holds its own with its enjoyable characters, great animation and fun humor. Expand
smaug87Jul 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After more then a decade a second instalment of Monster Inc comes in the form of a prequel of when Mike and Sully first meet at college. One of the strongest Pixar films for a while in my opinion. With Cars 2 and Brave less then impressive. The story keeps you hooked and although the pace was a bit slow in the last stretch it was still very well written. Expand
RedOwlReviewsJul 11, 2013
(skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
(skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
I don’t know why, but I felt powerfully attached to Monsters University. It may be because Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite Pixar movies of all time. It may also be because I am currently around the age of our protagonists, so I can attest to their struggles. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s because Mike Wazowski and James Sullivan are the best frenemies to hit the big screen since Pixar’s older Woody and Buzz.
Mike Wazowski is determined, but at a disadvantage, since he isn’t scary. James Sullivan is laidback, but at an advantage, since he’s scary as hell (he’s also legacy, but I’d rather not rant about legacy kids on a film critique). So why is the banter between these polar opposites so amusing to children and adults alike? It’s because they’re both a little obnoxious. They’ve got enough sour taste in each other to animate the screen almost as well as the crisp-clear animation software used to make the film (which is seriously praiseworthy).
Technique-wise, the film rarely fails. Sure, the plotline may be a little formulaic and linear, but the plot twists are just enough to keep both the story and the character development moving. Even near the end of the film, you’ll find some sappy emotion we’ve come to expect from Pixar.
In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Monsters University is not only the best and most charismatic animated film of the year thus far; it is also a testament to Pixar’s glory years and a sign that maybe Cars 2 and Brave were just a depressing phase that Pixar is hopefully passing. (I’d also like to laud Helen Mirren’s character, Dean Hardscrabble. She is one tough cookie you’ll both enjoy and fear watching)

FINAL SCORE: 85 (excitingly great ----------o---------- almost perfect)
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
While the film is not as good as the first, this film still has hilarious moments and creative ones as the first film did. The film is full of heart. Bless Pixar's heart, they did it again- they got me involved emotionally.
GzberniniJan 22, 2014
The best Disney movie I've seen in my whole life. That's actually better than Monsters, Inc. and all of this bulls*** released by Disney nowadays. Watch it now!
shengJul 15, 2013
Full of moral lessons. Great sequel movie. I love it.
Very different from the first movie. Appreciate much that they focused on Mike this time :D
Monster's University Rocks!!!!
colmheneghanJul 17, 2013
I went to see this with my 8 year old.He enjoyed it but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to Pixar films these days.No 3D for me and I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for it.the film is pretty funny in parts and the scare games was theI went to see this with my 8 year old.He enjoyed it but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to Pixar films these days.No 3D for me and I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for it.the film is pretty funny in parts and the scare games was the funniest part in it.It just lacks something like the old Pixar films used to have. Can't put finger on it.The first Monsters Inc is still funnier than this one but not a bad attempt by Pixar anyway. Well done guys. Expand
edublancJul 21, 2013
Pixar's creativity seems endless, but definitively they can do it even better.
Story, characters, rhythm, lots of color and fun: I think is a great combo!
Ryguy50Jul 27, 2013
As far as Pixar movies go not the best, but as far as most movies go pretty good and definitely worth seeing if you were a fan of the first installment
RevRonOct 31, 2013
"Monsters University" is a great return to the world that gave us "Monsters, Inc." Pixar once again crafts a film that has a great, touching story and killer animation. It was fun to see Mike and Sully enter into a rivalry that culminates"Monsters University" is a great return to the world that gave us "Monsters, Inc." Pixar once again crafts a film that has a great, touching story and killer animation. It was fun to see Mike and Sully enter into a rivalry that culminates into the friendship we know from the previous film. Oh--and this movie is damn funny! While sequels seem to be the name of Pixar's game lately, this addition to their library (which is, by the way, their first prequel) was a pleasant surprise and a whole lot of fun to watch. Expand
CCooombsAug 18, 2013
Monsters University is evidence that Pixar still have both the originality, and the talent to create compelling animation films that offer audiences something a little different. A prequel to the first film, the plot centres around Mike andMonsters University is evidence that Pixar still have both the originality, and the talent to create compelling animation films that offer audiences something a little different. A prequel to the first film, the plot centres around Mike and Sully's first encounters, student life and being the scariest monster on campus, all in a tone that is both light hearted and engaging.
The film offers comedy that will appeal to both old and young viewers alike, as well as making several references to the original Monster's Inc. story, explaining how certain characters came to be. A definite recommend, an enjoyable film and one that should be celebrated.
DioSWAug 9, 2013
The movie is so awesome, the quality of animation very amazing, look like the real
i hope disney pixar can make more great and good animation..

DioSW
GeekusPrimusNov 11, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters University never seemed to capture the same magic that Monsters, Inc. made, but it is still a worthwhile movie, particularly for families. In a day and age filled with smut and garbage across the board, it is nice to have a children's movie that is entertaining without running for the cheap laugh with juvenile jokes about poops and farts. Crystal and Goodman reprise their roles as Mike and Sully, and they do so excellently. Unfortunately, the story line is not as impressive as their acting roles, and at times it felt a bit tedious and presented a few minor breaks in continuity with its predecessor (although most people will not notice, particularly the children that will derive the greatest entertainment from this film).

In an era where the "anyone can do anything" philosophy is deeply rooted in film and popular culture, it is refreshing to see a film where a dose of reality, no matter how silly, is established. Sometimes, a monster just isn't scary. And that's okay to admit, just like I will never be an offensive lineman no matter how much I work out. There were no contrived plot threads or miraculous interventions to attempt to resolve this plot thread in the favor of Mike.
8bitParadoxJan 18, 2014
[REUPLOAD]
[REUPLOAD]
MamaTLFOct 13, 2013
This movie made me laugh a lot and jump on a chair like happy little kid that got what it wanted for Christmas. I felt satisfied and very nostalgic after watching it because i watched Monsters Inc. when i was younger. Only problem with theThis movie made me laugh a lot and jump on a chair like happy little kid that got what it wanted for Christmas. I felt satisfied and very nostalgic after watching it because i watched Monsters Inc. when i was younger. Only problem with the movie is the ending, that connects Monsters University and Monsters Inc, which seams to short, rushed and not covered as it should be. Overall the movie is an entertaining and fun experience (and nostalgic for some). Expand
Jack_SunshineSep 6, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s a much maligned fact that every other cinematic offering these days seems to be a reboot or sequel. If it’s for kids, it’s probably computer animated too. As a result, a medium that once blew us away with its revolutionary freshness has now become bland and uninspiring in its ubiquity. Nevertheless, there have been computer animated gems over the years, and Pixar has always led the field, rejecting the safe and lucrative sequels market with a string of trailblazing stand alone features that have truly been works of art, animation quality improving with each release. So it’s a little troubling to see this giant of animation begin succumbing to sequelitis, starting with the release of the tepidly received Cars 2 (2011). Now, they've elected to give us Monsters University, which is, to their credit, a prequel.

The film is preceded by the traditional short, this time The Blue Umbrella. This piece alone is enough to prove that the guys at Pixar have still got it. It’s an exercise in cutting edge computer design, a showcase of stunning photorealistic animation, with just the right tug on the heartstrings. Without spoiling too much, it features heavy rain in an anthropomorphic urban environment.

As for the main feature, the idea is simple: the story of the first meeting between Monsters, Inc.’s Mike and Sulley, chronicling their development from bitter rivals to the firm friends we see at the start of the first film. Billy Crystal and John Goodman return for the lead roles, but aside from a few brief cameos, the rest of the cast and characters are new.

Plot-wise, on the face of it at least, there is little particularly new or innovative, other than the placing of these established characters in a university environment. To prove themselves, Mike and Sulley must join an underdog team of misfits and compete in a big sporting event, the Scare Games, or they’ll be kicked out of university. Then, two thirds of the way through, the inevitable spanner is thrown in the works of the duo’s newly blossoming camaraderie. The morals of acceptance and the realisation of ambition are nevertheless noble; Monsters University is also honest about failure. Notably, the final act moves the plot in an unexpected and welcome direction. Original director Pete Docter, who gave us the sublime Up (2009), hands the reigns to rising storyboard artist Dan Scanlon. This is Scanlon’s directorial debut, so perhaps he has incentive to play it safe.

The university itself is everything that has come to define American higher education since National Lampoon’s Animal House (1978). There are American football games, fraternity rivalries, cheerleaders, big frat house parties and initiations, the Goth kids, the preppies with popped collars, and the theft of a rival establishment’s pig. There’s even a crusty old Dean, voiced by Helen Mirren: the truly terrifying veteran scarer Ms. Hardscrabble, who sounds like a character in a Charles Dickens novel.

Despite this, the character development is well handled, characters new and old are memorable, and above all, it is extremely funny, full of great jokes and hilarious sight gags. It would be a challenge to watch this film without having a good time. The concept is well realised, from the unique designs of individual monsters to the other worldly blend of Ivy League architecture adorned with monster-inspired horns and spines.

As a prequel, the worldview that was challenged as the central theme of Monsters, Inc. is here taken for granted. This is a world where monsters still harvest power from scaring humans, and fear their toxicity. To scare is the monster’s prime directive, enshrined in the hallowed traditions of families and Greek letter organisations, highlighting what must have been the total upheaval of their culture after the revelation at the end of the first film.

A kids’ film in a university environment is a hard balance. It’s hard to notice any particularly knowing winks to an adult audience beyond the obvious university clichés, and the potentially rowdy university environment has understandably been whitewashed to remove any suggestion of debauchery. At the same time, I wonder how many younger children can relate to, or appreciate such a setting. But perhaps they don’t need to. I don’t know how most kids will react to the film, but the young lad behind me in the cinema seemed to be having a good time, clapping along enthusiastically with the crowd at the Scare Games. Visually, it’s bright, colourful, and still stunning.

As ever, the appeal is still wide reaching. Monsters University is not just a kids’ film. It can be no coincidence that the children who first enjoyed Monsters, Inc. are now just about heading off to university themselves. With good Pixar characters being what they are, it’s a treat to revisit these much loved characters once more. Monsters University is not Pixar’s best, but it certainly shows they’re still kicking.
AnnthiswaySep 12, 2013
Pretty nice animation. Great. A day ago before going to cinema i watched "Monsters Inc.". Nice animation, nice. Very nice. I loved it! I definitely recommend it to you if you fan of "Monsters Inc." ESPECIALLY. Really nice movie. Pixar alwaysPretty nice animation. Great. A day ago before going to cinema i watched "Monsters Inc.". Nice animation, nice. Very nice. I loved it! I definitely recommend it to you if you fan of "Monsters Inc." ESPECIALLY. Really nice movie. Pixar always make a good movies & animations. Expand
FreedomFightersJan 3, 2017
You know what's really strange? Even with Pixar now being "mortal" and having a few missteps, I still find myself enjoying even their lesser films. "Monsters University" is no different: I love the writing, I love the characters (both old andYou know what's really strange? Even with Pixar now being "mortal" and having a few missteps, I still find myself enjoying even their lesser films. "Monsters University" is no different: I love the writing, I love the characters (both old and new), I DEFINITELY love the animation, the film is funny, it's clever, it's heartfelt, and overall, it's a lot of fun! If you enjoyed the original "Monsters Inc." film (which I surely did), you will definitely enjoy "Monsters University," a film that is definitely a fun trip down memory lane, and proof that even in their "decline," Pixar can still get the job done. Expand
joao1198pedroOct 31, 2013
this film is terrific but it isn't so great as it was the first monsters inc,but this film is absolutely great and he is one of the greatest films of this era of pixar.
DaEagleNov 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters University has a creative environment, where unique characters presented as monsters learn to be scary. But, this movie proves something else. It proves that intelligence is more important than scariness; at least based on the movie's universe. The movie isn't prefect. It lacks the emotional impact that it's predecessor leaved and the characters, while generally funny and colorful, they're not as developed. Well, of course, besides of the returning characters.
They are some slightly weak characters such as Dean Hardscrabble, that just doesn't change as a character. She stays the same: emotionless. I know that she is supposed to be emotionless, but a change would be more than satisfying. However, she does her job being dark and all serious.
There's also a slight lack of character development on a few characters, which is kind of disappoint supposing all the potential.
The visuals are stunning and colorful, which is traditional for Pixar. Every character is sophisticated considering their wonderful design. It's masterfully done, even though it's not a surprise.
The story isn't going to emotionally effect you as the predecessor did, but it's alright with a few surprises and twists. It also delivers a positive message, which I mentioned earlier. It had a few plot holes when Sally and Mike went through the door transporting them in human's world, but it doesn't fail just by that. It's no way as engaging as the other Pixar movies, but it's fun.
While not as emotionally effecting as it's predecessor, Monsters University's colorful environments and enjoyable moments make the movie an another success from Pixar. (Final Score: 8.10)
bestgamesNov 14, 2013
My kids are mad at the point of the film. Amazing animation. Cool humor main characters. Sound masterpiece. I look forward to the next part. Recommend seen on the big screen, preferably in IMax. Simply Bliss
aleksasstaJan 15, 2014
This movie is just awesome! .
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
While it doesn't rank with Pixar's finest, Monsters University follows a sturdy plot while still being thoroughly enjoyable, witty and fun for all ages.
JNOTRDec 21, 2013
Pixar is like a light just went on to the top and then was spending with Monsters University, Pixar shines after several bad consequences: Cars 2 the worst movie of all of this. The bad: many characters are not among those the touch ofPixar is like a light just went on to the top and then was spending with Monsters University, Pixar shines after several bad consequences: Cars 2 the worst movie of all of this. The bad: many characters are not among those the touch of tenderness Bou (which does not come with Wazaoski child). It's the most fun of all of Pixar, and has a very good outcome. Recommended. Expand
ambenderDec 28, 2013
Pixar's latest is a sweet, and frequently hilarious, follow up to a movie that I consider to be one of the studio's greatest. While it doesn't capture the original's creativity, it boasts plenty of humor and memorable characters.
KayakMar 3, 2014
I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised with this. Pixar have hit this coming-of-age slant to their cleverly timed sequels/prequels out the park. This captures the charm from the first movie with some surprisingly competent new conceptsI have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised with this. Pixar have hit this coming-of-age slant to their cleverly timed sequels/prequels out the park. This captures the charm from the first movie with some surprisingly competent new concepts to add to the already creative screenplay and caters comically and conceptually to both the kids and those, like me, who have reached university age. Maybe not as great for those not in this age range, but it certainly struck a chord with me. Expand
DrewtheDude85Mar 30, 2014
I was a huge fan of original Monsters Inc. and I still love that movie today, in fact it's probably my favorite of all Pixar films. So I was half excited and half mixed when I heard that they were making this film. First off I was excitedI was a huge fan of original Monsters Inc. and I still love that movie today, in fact it's probably my favorite of all Pixar films. So I was half excited and half mixed when I heard that they were making this film. First off I was excited because it involved of Monsters Inc. but I was also skeptical because I was hoping that they would make a sequel, not a prequel, but when I saw this film it was fantastic! It was great to see quality of a Pixar film again after the disasters that were Cars 2 and Brave, however don't expect this film to be up to par with like Pixar's greatest films like Finding Nemo, the Toy Story Trilogy and Monsters Inc. itself. However Monsters University had a good story, great humor and honestly some of the best animation I've ever seen in a Pixar film, trust me while Pixar already had great animation to start with, this is proof that even their flawless animation skills get even better. Monsters University was great, it wasn't anything that I absolutely adored but it was great. I recommend it. Expand
IMAX500May 22, 2014
Pixar is a master of movies and also this one. this is the most funniest movie in summer 2013. the voices from the first monsters Inc. sounds the same.
Viper8787Apr 19, 2014
Another great movie by Pixar and one of my favourite Pixar movies ever just behind the first Monsters Inc. movie. Animation and voice acting are incredible. There were so many jokes thrown in you can't help yourself but to laugh. I love MikeAnother great movie by Pixar and one of my favourite Pixar movies ever just behind the first Monsters Inc. movie. Animation and voice acting are incredible. There were so many jokes thrown in you can't help yourself but to laugh. I love Mike Wazowski he is so funny and one of my favourite movie characters. Was waiting a long time for a second Monsters movie and I was not disappointed. . Expand
pienpienApr 25, 2014
Don't expect any deep emotional connection with this one––but that's not what the film is trying to do anyway. It's incredibly enjoyable, and as a big Monsters Inc. fan I was delighted that the film stays true to the original. TheDon't expect any deep emotional connection with this one––but that's not what the film is trying to do anyway. It's incredibly enjoyable, and as a big Monsters Inc. fan I was delighted that the film stays true to the original. The American-College humour is often stereotype but still manages to be fresh and actually funny. Go see this film for some classic Pixar fun. Expand