7.8

1. Dec 13, 2014
    Everyone loves Monsters Inc. Now, the same will be true for Monsters University. We dive further into the stories of Mike and Sulley and I was hooked. The film takes advantage of our love for the characters and throws them into a genuinely enjoyable film for all ages. It is one of the more entertaining and admirable Disney films I've seen in a while and it's hard to find flaws. Despite allEveryone loves Monsters Inc. Now, the same will be true for Monsters University. We dive further into the stories of Mike and Sulley and I was hooked. The film takes advantage of our love for the characters and throws them into a genuinely enjoyable film for all ages. It is one of the more entertaining and admirable Disney films I've seen in a while and it's hard to find flaws. Despite all the positives, it's most obvious flaw is that it's not as good as Monsters Inc. Which is sad, but understandable. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2014
    While it doesn't rank with Pixar's finest, Monsters University follows a sturdy plot while still being thoroughly enjoyable, witty and fun for all ages.
  3. Oct 19, 2014
    Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan weren't always an inseparable pair. From the moment these two mismatched monsters met they couldn’t stand each other. Monsters University reveals how Mike and Sulley overcame their differences and became the best of friends.
  4. Oct 13, 2014
    I was definitely satisfied with this film and it's colorful visuals, great character designs, and decent writing. I'd still have to put it next to their lesser films because I still don't think it's as good as Monsters, Inc. Although despite that I'd still give it a pass, Pixar are definitely stepping up after Cars 2 and getting better with their films, and storytelling.
  5. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now where do I began with this. Now when I went to see Monsters University in theaters last year I was disappointed. The Story doesn't make too much sense. I understand this is a prequel to Monsters Inc but the way it plays just doesn't excite me. It starts off with Mike going to University to becoming a scary Monster. He finds himself having a hard time trying to roar. Then Sully comes along and he became a jerk towards Mike. Also the monster Deam Hardscrabbble says that the monsters have to complete an exam to determine if they scary enough to become a real monster. If the exam is failed then they are out of the scary program. Which is understanble. I will admit there are some funny scenes but something about the characters didn't appeal to me. Anyways when the final test comes Mike has to prove himself that he is a scary monster after all the training they did. But when Mike scared the simulated kid he automatically wins (which by the way that was a small roar). Mike becomes suspiscous and learns that Sully was the one that made him when. Meaning that he made Mike cheat. He becomes so upset he goes into the Human world from a door. Sully has to find him and apolgize. Soon the cops (in the human world) came to look for the monsters. Sully and Mike set up an abush where Sully comes out and the ropes tangled the cops and Sully roars loudly at the cops causing the scream cans in the Monster world to go crazy. Even HARDSCRABBLE was surprised. So after that incident Mike and Sully were expelled. Meaning they haven't learn a thing. Then after that they find a work place at Monsters INC factory (which marks the begin of Monsters INC) and thats when the movie ends. Overall this movie is a guilty pleasure to me, it didn't have that same emotion to it like Monsters Inc did and the story doesn't make too much sense. So yeah I give it a 6.5/10. You may disagree with me but thats how I felt in my opinion Expand
  6. May 22, 2014
    Pixar is a master of movies and also this one. this is the most funniest movie in summer 2013. the voices from the first monsters Inc. sounds the same.
  7. Apr 29, 2014
    Pixar never ceases to amaze me. In almost every movie, if not all, they always have a signature theme: life. The surprising thing about MU is that it's pretty much accurate to how college works in real life. If you're not cut out for it then you're flunked and when you're flunked, that will leave a bad record on you that will haunt your lifetime as you live on. So face it, you're a loserPixar never ceases to amaze me. In almost every movie, if not all, they always have a signature theme: life. The surprising thing about MU is that it's pretty much accurate to how college works in real life. If you're not cut out for it then you're flunked and when you're flunked, that will leave a bad record on you that will haunt your lifetime as you live on. So face it, you're a loser but that doesn't mean that you can't get what you want anymore. If you want it, then get it, believe that you can get it, and bake the cake no matter what are the stakes. Before you even know it, you're already standing on holy ground.
    I highly recommend this for high schoolers going to college. If you don't know what it's like then I suggest you get a glimpse of it even if it's in an other worldy (Monster world) view.
    Overall, this movie was very inspirational. I hope to watch another Pixar masterpiece in the near future.
  8. Apr 27, 2014
    I liked this movie, but it was no Monsters Inc.. The original is one of my favourite Pixar movies, so this did slightly disappoint me. It was funny and interesting but it just cannot live up to the original in my eyes. However, I would watch it again!
  9. Apr 25, 2014
    Don't expect any deep emotional connection with this one––but that's not what the film is trying to do anyway. It's incredibly enjoyable, and as a big Monsters Inc. fan I was delighted that the film stays true to the original. The American-College humour is often stereotype but still manages to be fresh and actually funny. Go see this film for some classic Pixar fun.
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    Another great movie by Pixar and one of my favourite Pixar movies ever just behind the first Monsters Inc. movie. Animation and voice acting are incredible. There were so many jokes thrown in you can't help yourself but to laugh. I love Mike Wazowski he is so funny and one of my favourite movie characters. Was waiting a long time for a second Monsters movie and I was not disappointed. .
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    I was a huge fan of original Monsters Inc. and I still love that movie today, in fact it's probably my favorite of all Pixar films. So I was half excited and half mixed when I heard that they were making this film. First off I was excited because it involved of Monsters Inc. but I was also skeptical because I was hoping that they would make a sequel, not a prequel, but when I saw this filmI was a huge fan of original Monsters Inc. and I still love that movie today, in fact it's probably my favorite of all Pixar films. So I was half excited and half mixed when I heard that they were making this film. First off I was excited because it involved of Monsters Inc. but I was also skeptical because I was hoping that they would make a sequel, not a prequel, but when I saw this film it was fantastic! It was great to see quality of a Pixar film again after the disasters that were Cars 2 and Brave, however don't expect this film to be up to par with like Pixar's greatest films like Finding Nemo, the Toy Story Trilogy and Monsters Inc. itself. However Monsters University had a good story, great humor and honestly some of the best animation I've ever seen in a Pixar film, trust me while Pixar already had great animation to start with, this is proof that even their flawless animation skills get even better. Monsters University was great, it wasn't anything that I absolutely adored but it was great. I recommend it. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2014
    The movie should have been called "A couple of losers in the University"
    And the moral for kids is: Don't waste your time studying. You can be a "successful loser".
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised with this. Pixar have hit this coming-of-age slant to their cleverly timed sequels/prequels out the park. This captures the charm from the first movie with some surprisingly competent new concepts to add to the already creative screenplay and caters comically and conceptually to both the kids and those, like me, who have reached university age.I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised with this. Pixar have hit this coming-of-age slant to their cleverly timed sequels/prequels out the park. This captures the charm from the first movie with some surprisingly competent new concepts to add to the already creative screenplay and caters comically and conceptually to both the kids and those, like me, who have reached university age. Maybe not as great for those not in this age range, but it certainly struck a chord with me. Expand
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    The best Disney movie I've seen in my whole life. That's actually better than Monsters, Inc. and all of this bulls*** released by Disney nowadays. Watch it now!
  15. Jan 18, 2014
    [REUPLOAD]
    [REUPLOAD]
  16. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie is just awesome! .
  17. Jan 6, 2014
    If my bias for this beloved series prevailed, I would without a doubt given Monster's University a 10/10. I have loved Monster's Inc. seeing it for the first time when I was five and continue to love it now a teenager preparing for college. Speaking of my age, Pixar nailed the timing of this movie. Many viewers who saw Monster's Inc. when around 4-8 when it was aired in theaters (around 12If my bias for this beloved series prevailed, I would without a doubt given Monster's University a 10/10. I have loved Monster's Inc. seeing it for the first time when I was five and continue to love it now a teenager preparing for college. Speaking of my age, Pixar nailed the timing of this movie. Many viewers who saw Monster's Inc. when around 4-8 when it was aired in theaters (around 12 years ago from this film) are about to enter or already are in college. The themes of the exciting opportunities that await in the transition into a young adult are present throughout the film, and are relevant to many teens who might be anxious or possibly afraid of their future. Better yet, Mike Wazowski doesn't end up being the scarer he's always dreamed of, but his experience at college opens up a new door he didn't expect would be as satisfying. It's a satisfying conclusion for those who may not be getting everything they desire in life. The only glaring issue with MU is it's predictable, being a prequel. However, there is a twist near the end that does change the tides a little bit. A majority of the characters are excellent, especially the members of Oozma Kappa, although Randal's transition from a friendly roommate to competitive antagonist is too quick. I wish Pixar worked a little harder on Randal's character. Additionally, the plot is not oscar winning and may not be as emotionally gripping without Boo, but the animation is stellar and perhaps the best I've seen in a pixar movie. There is a high attention of detail in the bustling University campus giving incentive rewatch the movie to notice small details such as Randal's "The Winds of Change" poster. Speaking of that, there are tons of Monster's Inc. references that fans will eat up. Monster's University is a great movie, but may feel a little run-of-the-mill if you are not a fan of the series, however it is still a great animation. Expand
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    About time Pixar made a good movie again.
    ............................................................................................................
  19. Dec 28, 2013
    Pixar's latest is a sweet, and frequently hilarious, follow up to a movie that I consider to be one of the studio's greatest. While it doesn't capture the original's creativity, it boasts plenty of humor and memorable characters.
  20. Dec 25, 2013
    Although it doesn't have the heart of its original, Monsters University is worth the wait with its interesting and entertaning origins of our favorite characters.
  21. Dec 24, 2013
    Overall Monsters University is not quite as clever, or as funny, as its predecessor but the great cast of characters, and Disney Pixar's usually flair, makes for another enjoyable hour and a half of animated comedy.
  22. Dec 24, 2013
    I haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But start afresh, MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is no less entertaining than any other Pixar-labelled “high-art” animations, although it doesn’t reach the peak where theI haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But start afresh, MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is no less entertaining than any other Pixar-labelled “high-art” animations, although it doesn’t reach the peak where the one-two-three punch WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10) has thrived.

It is a standard college comedy, reminiscent of Harry Potter trio’s adventure in Hogwarts, Mike being a male version of Hermoine the know-it-all, studious but more aggressive and pertinacious; Sullivan is the golden boy who struts and banters for popularity with his inborn stature and family prestige. So from foes to friends they have to learn their lessons in a hard way, Mike being an overachieving geek in the wrong game and Sullivan squandering his time and talent and taking a lofty goal for granted, twist number one; next step, an underdog’s team work to crown the champion in the scary competition, but an indiscreet but understandable machine-rigging undermines the victory, this is twist number two; then an extravaganza into the toxic human world comes to a climax shows the pair’s true potentiality and produces the twist number three; then unlike the conventional happy ending in Disney world, the twist number four heartwarmingly brings them into a niche place and avers one maxim, there isn’t only one way to reach your goal.

Since Mike and Sullivan aren’t exactly the funny wisecrackers, all assortment of monster sidekicks not only have to arrest your glances but also elicit laughters, frankly speaking, the belly-laughing moments are not so frequent as RIO (2011, 8/10) for instance, and occasionally it loses momentum in its execution of the story, the five rounds of competition are unevenly exposed. Randy Newman’s music is still uplifting and all-age friendly, but the excitement doesn’t register anymore, still the brand of Pixar is aiming to a youngster-slanting demography for the sake of maximizing the profit, but the story of undergraduates and fraternity could be more nostalgic to adult audiences, its wavering standpoint may cause detriment and set a barricade to retain the golden medal as the torchbearer in the business above and beyond its unparalleled production team.
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    Monsters University is Pixar's first prequel and none other the less manages to bring the total scope of the story from Pixar's Monsters Inc. (2001). It's flicking sweet and provides more of a solid performance than its sequel (Monster's Inc.) centered on the two main protagonist Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sully (John Goodman). And now for the first time Pixar has introduced their veryMonsters University is Pixar's first prequel and none other the less manages to bring the total scope of the story from Pixar's Monsters Inc. (2001). It's flicking sweet and provides more of a solid performance than its sequel (Monster's Inc.) centered on the two main protagonist Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sully (John Goodman). And now for the first time Pixar has introduced their very first prequel this film actually better thought as a fun family entertainment for all ages,

More on centered from the life of the two main characters. This film shows exactly the whole life of the two and the rest of all the characters in Monsters Inc. Undeniably more good than its sequel better than out to be. It also bring us their bond, closeness, friendship, family, and hilariously funny moments. It has more of the heart from 104 minutes of awesome 3D experience from Pixar

Rating 9 10
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    Pixar is like a light just went on to the top and then was spending with Monsters University, Pixar shines after several bad consequences: Cars 2 the worst movie of all of this. The bad: many characters are not among those the touch of tenderness Bou (which does not come with Wazaoski child). It's the most fun of all of Pixar, and has a very good outcome. Recommended.
  25. Dec 18, 2013
    Monsters University is a colourful, beautiful and a visual-stunning Pixar effort that unfortunately fails to reach the standards of the brilliant predecessor, Monsters Inc. as well as most Pixar films in general, and the film is pretty unnecessary and didn't really need to happen. But I did certainly enjoy this film; it provide laughs (albeit not many) and was a rather entertaining filmMonsters University is a colourful, beautiful and a visual-stunning Pixar effort that unfortunately fails to reach the standards of the brilliant predecessor, Monsters Inc. as well as most Pixar films in general, and the film is pretty unnecessary and didn't really need to happen. But I did certainly enjoy this film; it provide laughs (albeit not many) and was a rather entertaining film throughout and it never left me bored. If you are a fan of Monsters Inc. or Pixar films in general, this is worth-watching, though it may not be as good as other Pixar films. Expand
  26. Dec 16, 2013
    First off, "Monsters University" is not as good as "Monsters Inc.". But the same magic in most Pixar movies is once again re-created in this touching prequel. It's still good fun for families, which would make kids burst out with laughter, and adults pulling a silly grin on their face here and there.
  27. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an old school frat movie (monsters Inc style.) True, it follows every cliche in the book, with the Monsters spin they all feel fresh and fun to watch again.

The animation is top notch and all the central characters are done really well. But, I do feel that they threw in too many side characters that looked really interesting, yet never really touched upon. They're either purely decorative or plot devices. A shame.

To be honest, I didn't think Monsters University was as funny as the first movie, BUT, it had allot more depth and Mike & Sullivan's character are given some really great and moving scenes that Crystal and Goodman do very well.

Overall:
    While Monsters University isn't the the same as the first movie, it is just as good. It's both deep and light hearted. A fun movie that perhaps could have used a few more laughs. Still, a great movie worth watching.
  28. Nov 29, 2013
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters University has a creative environment, where unique characters presented as monsters learn to be scary. But, this movie proves something else. It proves that intelligence is more important than scariness; at least based on the movie's universe. The movie isn't prefect. It lacks the emotional impact that it's predecessor leaved and the characters, while generally funny and colorful, they're not as developed. Well, of course, besides of the returning characters.
    They are some slightly weak characters such as Dean Hardscrabble, that just doesn't change as a character. She stays the same: emotionless. I know that she is supposed to be emotionless, but a change would be more than satisfying. However, she does her job being dark and all serious.
    There's also a slight lack of character development on a few characters, which is kind of disappoint supposing all the potential.
    The visuals are stunning and colorful, which is traditional for Pixar. Every character is sophisticated considering their wonderful design. It's masterfully done, even though it's not a surprise.
    The story isn't going to emotionally effect you as the predecessor did, but it's alright with a few surprises and twists. It also delivers a positive message, which I mentioned earlier. It had a few plot holes when Sally and Mike went through the door transporting them in human's world, but it doesn't fail just by that. It's no way as engaging as the other Pixar movies, but it's fun.
    While not as emotionally effecting as it's predecessor, Monsters University's colorful environments and enjoyable moments make the movie an another success from Pixar. (Final Score: 8.10)
  30. BKM
    Nov 19, 2013
    Monsters University occupies the middle ground when it comes to Pixar sequels. It's not as innovative or emotionally resonant as Toy Story 2 or 3, but it's a great deal more fun and engaging than the needless Cars 2. The animation is so gorgeous and the voice work so accomplished, that you almost don't notice that the plot and characters are paper thin.
  31. Nov 16, 2013
    Monsters University is a pretty decent movie but it lacks a lot of the charm the first film had. I think a lot of that has to do with how original the story was initially and how that unique element is lost a bit in further iterations. I think Boo provided a lot of the charm in the first movie as well. It wasn't so obvious until watching a movie without her. Obviously Mike and Sully wereMonsters University is a pretty decent movie but it lacks a lot of the charm the first film had. I think a lot of that has to do with how original the story was initially and how that unique element is lost a bit in further iterations. I think Boo provided a lot of the charm in the first movie as well. It wasn't so obvious until watching a movie without her. Obviously Mike and Sully were both great but the competition with which the film is built upon feels a little weak. I know, it's a children's movie, but that's kind of the problem. While Monsters, Inc. was a film that the adults could appreciate, this one is more of a pure kiddy flick. It's still entertaining to a certain extent but without a lot of the depth from the first one, it's ultimately just a fun kids movie and not much more. Expand
  32. Nov 14, 2013
    My kids are mad at the point of the film. Amazing animation. Cool humor main characters. Sound masterpiece. I look forward to the next part. Recommend seen on the big screen, preferably in IMax. Simply Bliss
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    I really expected more from Pixar, especially considering how fantastic Monsters Inc. was. Unfortunately this prequel ends up falling short,. Not only does it fail to live up to its predecessor, but it also fails to live up to Pixar's reputation for animated movies.

It's got some humorous moments, but everything from plot to the characters falls short in my opinion. It ends up feeling very dull and predictable unlike most of Pixar's previous works. There are some good things here like Charlie Day's character, watching the Randall and Sully rivalry start, and it will keep kids entertained, but it is one of Pixar's lames efforts. It disappointed the huge Monsters Inc. fan in me, and as a prequel it failed to add anything that would make me rethink events of the first movie. Really I expected more from Pixar.

This is a huge disappointment. It captures none of the Pixar magic and stands beside Cars 2 as one of Pixar's rare disappointments. It may be worth a rental if you were a huge fan of the original and have small kids, but for others it may just be better to skip this and keep those fond memories of Pixar still intact. This does some pretty big damage to their reputation.
  34. Oct 31, 2013
    this film is terrific but it isn't so great as it was the first monsters inc,but this film is absolutely great and he is one of the greatest films of this era of pixar.
  35. Oct 31, 2013
    "Monsters University" is a great return to the world that gave us "Monsters, Inc." Pixar once again crafts a film that has a great, touching story and killer animation. It was fun to see Mike and Sully enter into a rivalry that culminates into the friendship we know from the previous film. Oh--and this movie is damn funny! While sequels seem to be the name of Pixar's game lately, this"Monsters University" is a great return to the world that gave us "Monsters, Inc." Pixar once again crafts a film that has a great, touching story and killer animation. It was fun to see Mike and Sully enter into a rivalry that culminates into the friendship we know from the previous film. Oh--and this movie is damn funny! While sequels seem to be the name of Pixar's game lately, this addition to their library (which is, by the way, their first prequel) was a pleasant surprise and a whole lot of fun to watch. Expand
  36. Oct 25, 2013
    I watched this out of dedication to Monsters Inc., a film that I love since it's release. But this was completely childlike and had no direct statement unlike the first film. Kids at least six years old would like this, but not me.
  37. Oct 14, 2013
    It's not that it's a bad movie, It just never really gets good. It's some-what funny, The new characters aren't that like-able, and they could have focused more on the back-story through out instead of little bits here and there. I agree with csw12's review 100%. It has none of the qualities of a great animated film, It's just painfully generic and that's what so disappointing about it.
  38. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie made me laugh a lot and jump on a chair like happy little kid that got what it wanted for Christmas. I felt satisfied and very nostalgic after watching it because i watched Monsters Inc. when i was younger. Only problem with the movie is the ending, that connects Monsters University and Monsters Inc, which seams to short, rushed and not covered as it should be. Overall the movieThis movie made me laugh a lot and jump on a chair like happy little kid that got what it wanted for Christmas. I felt satisfied and very nostalgic after watching it because i watched Monsters Inc. when i was younger. Only problem with the movie is the ending, that connects Monsters University and Monsters Inc, which seams to short, rushed and not covered as it should be. Overall the movie is an entertaining and fun experience (and nostalgic for some). Expand
  39. Sep 22, 2013
    I loved Monsters Inc. when I was a kid and I definitely liked Monsters University too, great production even if I didn't like the story very much. Overall a good throwback to the old days.
  40. Sep 14, 2013
    Its a pretty godamn good movie that's fun for the whole family, while not as good as the first and not as emotionally heart throbbing, monsters University manages to be something different and yet comfortably at home in a good way, 8/10
  41. Sep 12, 2013
    Pretty nice animation. Great. A day ago before going to cinema i watched "Monsters Inc.". Nice animation, nice. Very nice. I loved it! I definitely recommend it to you if you fan of "Monsters Inc." ESPECIALLY. Really nice movie. Pixar always make a good movies & animations.
  42. Sep 9, 2013
    This is probably my favorite Pixar movie ever. It was so funny. My sisters and I really enjoyed it. It gave me an idea of what college is really like. It made me want to see the first movie again.
  43. Sep 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s a much maligned fact that every other cinematic offering these days seems to be a reboot or sequel. If it’s for kids, it’s probably computer animated too. As a result, a medium that once blew us away with its revolutionary freshness has now become bland and uninspiring in its ubiquity. Nevertheless, there have been computer animated gems over the years, and Pixar has always led the field, rejecting the safe and lucrative sequels market with a string of trailblazing stand alone features that have truly been works of art, animation quality improving with each release. So it’s a little troubling to see this giant of animation begin succumbing to sequelitis, starting with the release of the tepidly received Cars 2 (2011). Now, they've elected to give us Monsters University, which is, to their credit, a prequel.

The film is preceded by the traditional short, this time The Blue Umbrella. This piece alone is enough to prove that the guys at Pixar have still got it. It’s an exercise in cutting edge computer design, a showcase of stunning photorealistic animation, with just the right tug on the heartstrings. Without spoiling too much, it features heavy rain in an anthropomorphic urban environment.

As for the main feature, the idea is simple: the story of the first meeting between Monsters, Inc.’s Mike and Sulley, chronicling their development from bitter rivals to the firm friends we see at the start of the first film. Billy Crystal and John Goodman return for the lead roles, but aside from a few brief cameos, the rest of the cast and characters are new.

Plot-wise, on the face of it at least, there is little particularly new or innovative, other than the placing of these established characters in a university environment. To prove themselves, Mike and Sulley must join an underdog team of misfits and compete in a big sporting event, the Scare Games, or they’ll be kicked out of university. Then, two thirds of the way through, the inevitable spanner is thrown in the works of the duo’s newly blossoming camaraderie. The morals of acceptance and the realisation of ambition are nevertheless noble; Monsters University is also honest about failure. Notably, the final act moves the plot in an unexpected and welcome direction. Original director Pete Docter, who gave us the sublime Up (2009), hands the reigns to rising storyboard artist Dan Scanlon. This is Scanlon’s directorial debut, so perhaps he has incentive to play it safe.

The university itself is everything that has come to define American higher education since National Lampoon’s Animal House (1978). There are American football games, fraternity rivalries, cheerleaders, big frat house parties and initiations, the Goth kids, the preppies with popped collars, and the theft of a rival establishment’s pig. There’s even a crusty old Dean, voiced by Helen Mirren: the truly terrifying veteran scarer Ms. Hardscrabble, who sounds like a character in a Charles Dickens novel.

Despite this, the character development is well handled, characters new and old are memorable, and above all, it is extremely funny, full of great jokes and hilarious sight gags. It would be a challenge to watch this film without having a good time. The concept is well realised, from the unique designs of individual monsters to the other worldly blend of Ivy League architecture adorned with monster-inspired horns and spines.

As a prequel, the worldview that was challenged as the central theme of Monsters, Inc. is here taken for granted. This is a world where monsters still harvest power from scaring humans, and fear their toxicity. To scare is the monster’s prime directive, enshrined in the hallowed traditions of families and Greek letter organisations, highlighting what must have been the total upheaval of their culture after the revelation at the end of the first film.

A kids’ film in a university environment is a hard balance. It’s hard to notice any particularly knowing winks to an adult audience beyond the obvious university clichés, and the potentially rowdy university environment has understandably been whitewashed to remove any suggestion of debauchery. At the same time, I wonder how many younger children can relate to, or appreciate such a setting. But perhaps they don’t need to. I don’t know how most kids will react to the film, but the young lad behind me in the cinema seemed to be having a good time, clapping along enthusiastically with the crowd at the Scare Games. Visually, it’s bright, colourful, and still stunning.

As ever, the appeal is still wide reaching. Monsters University is not just a kids’ film. It can be no coincidence that the children who first enjoyed Monsters, Inc. are now just about heading off to university themselves. With good Pixar characters being what they are, it’s a treat to revisit these much loved characters once more. Monsters University is not Pixar’s best, but it certainly shows they’re still kicking.
  44. Sep 2, 2013
    I went into Monsters University with very little in the way of expectations and I came out surprised and disappointed at the same time as the prequel to Monsters Inc is both wonderful and aggravating at the same time. When Mike Wasowksi (Billy Crystal) arrives at Monsters University he meets rebellious James Sullivan (John Goodman) and the two tangle to become the greatest scarers untilI went into Monsters University with very little in the way of expectations and I came out surprised and disappointed at the same time as the prequel to Monsters Inc is both wonderful and aggravating at the same time. When Mike Wasowksi (Billy Crystal) arrives at Monsters University he meets rebellious James Sullivan (John Goodman) and the two tangle to become the greatest scarers until they are forced to team up to avoid getting expelled. University does manage to avoid the pratfalls of prequels by keeping the story light and narrow in scope while filling the film with a brand new crop of monsters and a few choice cameos for longtime monsters fans. However it also lacks that Monsters Inc had, a no holes barred adventure with a beautiful ending. University is fun and has some action in it but it lacks the guts of its predecessor and feels like its lacking because of it. As usual the animation is stellar with Pixar constantly raising the bar on themselves but it all feels similar. If anything, Monsters Inc has robber University of the awe this film would have caused as a stand alone feature. Crystal and Goodman are having fun doing the voices yet again as these two really come alive. The film depicts the beginning of a beautiful friendship and it finds its heart through this odd couple pairing but it lacks the child like innocence of Inc and ultimately if there is no Boo then you won't be able to achieve the same effect making it a good thing University doesn't try to. Expand
  45. Sep 1, 2013
    M.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this is because they were to cliche. with the exception of the old man, i don't know but i liked him. Why, oh why are pixar so good at making me emotional unlikeM.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this is because they were to cliche. with the exception of the old man, i don't know but i liked him. Why, oh why are pixar so good at making me emotional unlike any other film. I love pixar. Expand
  46. Aug 30, 2013
    Its good to see how it all began before Sullivan and Mike went to Monsters Inc. The jokes were spot on, and the animation was fantastic, but i somehow lacked connection with the main characters. Also, if you didn't watch the first movie, DON'T WATCH THIS ONE YET. This movie will be much more enjoyable if you see the Inc. one first, and then the prequel.
  47. Aug 27, 2013
    Not a 10/10 masterpiece like Toy Story or Finding Nemo however for its premise it does everything right. I enjoyed the whole thing, never felt bored, laughed out loud and even had some great nostalgic moments!
  48. Aug 22, 2013
    A great prequel to a movie that received its fair share of fame when it was first released, but has since really fallen to the wayside. I was delighted to hear this movie was in the mix though a bit skeptical about the plot that had been chosen. Would the movie have a strong enough draw without the adorable "Boo" to ground the antics in a aura of reality? The answer is yes, it does haveA great prequel to a movie that received its fair share of fame when it was first released, but has since really fallen to the wayside. I was delighted to hear this movie was in the mix though a bit skeptical about the plot that had been chosen. Would the movie have a strong enough draw without the adorable "Boo" to ground the antics in a aura of reality? The answer is yes, it does have enough draw. While a kind of 80's comedy flair may be over the heads of most children it gives adults plenty of reason to watch it as well and enjoy many of the subtle jokes that abound in regards to classic films like "Back to School" and "Revenge of the Nerds". A great overall prequel that has both heart and comedy. Expand
  49. Aug 20, 2013
    The movie started off OK but towards the end, it got progressively boring.
  50. Aug 18, 2013
    Monsters University is evidence that Pixar still have both the originality, and the talent to create compelling animation films that offer audiences something a little different. A prequel to the first film, the plot centres around Mike and Sully's first encounters, student life and being the scariest monster on campus, all in a tone that is both light hearted and engaging.
    The film
    The film offers comedy that will appeal to both old and young viewers alike, as well as making several references to the original Monster's Inc. story, explaining how certain characters came to be. A definite recommend, an enjoyable film and one that should be celebrated.
  51. Aug 16, 2013
    Very entertaining film, packed with great jokes and humor, a very satisfying prequel. The plot was interesting and had some great characters, not leaving you bored at all. Highly recommended
  52. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is actually good.The movie is funny and has a good story.This movie might not be as good as the first one but still I consider this as one of the best movies this year.
  53. Aug 9, 2013
    The movie is so awesome, the quality of animation very amazing, look like the real
    i hope disney pixar can make more great and good animation..

DioSW
  54. Jul 30, 2013
    Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original,Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original, but this new one is brilliant, as it has a hilarious script and moments, fun action scenes, and great character building. My favourite character of the film has to be Art, he is hilarious! I love the action filled suspence and comedy of the 'Scare Games', and like the unexpecdted twists, but I don't want to spoil anything. So I give this film a... 94/100! Expand
  55. Jul 29, 2013
    I waited 12 years for a sequel to Monsters Inc., (I was looking forward to Boo reuniting with the duo) but we got a prequel instead. Regardless, I enjoyed it.
    This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which mostly focus on Sullivan. The best part of the film is the opening and the ending; the main portion of the film is alright, but the start and the end is great.
    Despite being a follow-up, this film feels like it's its own movie. (instead of trying too hard to make it similar to the original)

Has room for improvement, but great time regardless. 4 out of 5 stars.
  56. Jul 27, 2013
    As far as Pixar movies go not the best, but as far as most movies go pretty good and definitely worth seeing if you were a fan of the first installment
  57. Jul 22, 2013
    Pixar films traditionally have that indescribable touch to them that always keeps you watching and Monsters University maintains that touch. I really felt the characters come alive, both metaphysically and visually. The personalities and emotions are well portrayed and the visuals were simply astounding. It was also very interesting to see how they developed the characters and explained aPixar films traditionally have that indescribable touch to them that always keeps you watching and Monsters University maintains that touch. I really felt the characters come alive, both metaphysically and visually. The personalities and emotions are well portrayed and the visuals were simply astounding. It was also very interesting to see how they developed the characters and explained a little behind Mike and Sully's friendship. Monsters University also features lots of a great slapstick humor to keep you laughing for days and as always, it is endearing to all age groups which is of course another hallmark of Pixar.

The Pixar touch aside, I did find the plot disappointing. It felt incredibly stock a standard tale that has been heard a thousand times before. Sure, it had a few unexpected twists and turns but even despite them, you could often guess the next five minutes at any given point in the movie. Pixar is better than this. They invented the wild crazy world of Toy Story where the plots were as unpredictable the next new character. They produced The Incredibles which finally gave us some superhumans to talk about other than our beloved mid twentieth century comic book heroes. They gave us Up, WALL-E, and Finding Nemo. All great stories that kept you wondering what happened next. Monsters University on the other hand...like I said. You could forecast ahead more than was acceptable. Boring! Still for what its worth, it was enjoyable. Not Pixar's best but certainly not their worst either.
  58. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After more then a decade a second instalment of Monster Inc comes in the form of a prequel of when Mike and Sully first meet at college. One of the strongest Pixar films for a while in my opinion. With Cars 2 and Brave less then impressive. The story keeps you hooked and although the pace was a bit slow in the last stretch it was still very well written. Expand
  59. Jul 21, 2013
    Monsters University is once again a failed attempt from Pixar. The jokes were too cheesy, the plot seemed cliche, and it pretty much sucked. Wouldn't recommend it...
  60. Jul 21, 2013
    Much better than "Despicable Me", right now it's probably the best animation of 2013! Reasonably funny, nice setting, it also has a great and satisfying conclusion! One of the best Pixar picture
  61. Jul 21, 2013
    Pixar's creativity seems endless, but definitively they can do it even better.
    Story, characters, rhythm, lots of color and fun: I think is a great combo!
  62. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters university was an interesting idea at first, to know about the origins of the monster world, and to just see more from these characters that we loved back in the day. after seeing this movie, I'd rather go on not seeing this. A highly negative sounding comment sure, but this is nothing to be shunned or hated, this is just not that great. You would think that anything Pixar made would be not amazing, but recently they have been losing their edge in the long lasting joy that their previous films had. Now about the movie, it starts off pretty normally with the reason why Mike would want to be in the scarring business. Now that I think about it, what else is there to do in their world? Does everyone have to be a part of the scarring world? I do remember that there was one monster that had a fruit stand, but that's it. Anyways, the rest is just cuteness in my opinion. That's the level of sophistication in this movie: not all the intelligent, but still good. The other main character Sully is completely different from his previous alliteration; for best in my opinion, because it's great to see change from before to present. Which is also a problem for me, they do it good with Sully, but Mike is the same from the first movie, and I didn't like him all too much from that last film. The only other character they show again is Randell, and it's a little funny what they do with him; him being a nerd and friendly, but they never really show that event that really turned him into the jerk he was in the last film. The cast is pretty neutral, they don't leave any impressions, but they're also enjoyable during the time I watched them. The funny moments really were the moments where they showed little easter eggs from the first movie, but that's it. My last thing I'll talk about ii where Mike finds out he can't be a scarer is too harsh. So it turns out he goes to the human world to try and show that he really does have what it takes, it's so mean spirited that he does all the work needed to and has all the dedication, and still cannot be what he always wanted to be is pretty cruel. I know the message was that we all have a special place in society, but that message is kinda not that great. Overall this is an okay movie; showing the development of at least the character I liked most, but not really doing anything that'll have a lasting appeal is so out of place for Disney. Expand
  63. Jul 20, 2013
    This movie makes me happy....but in all seriousness this movie is great. It does suffer from some unnessary references to the original and it can get very cliche at times. MU is a very enjoyable film.
  64. Jul 20, 2013
    With fluid animations and a great cast, this prequel falls short with the story; it was far too basic and simple, making me assume the target audience was solely for children. However, even if aimed for children, there was no definite antagonist, making a good story difficult to conjure. The humour was quite minimal and most of the story predictable, although not every second film goesWith fluid animations and a great cast, this prequel falls short with the story; it was far too basic and simple, making me assume the target audience was solely for children. However, even if aimed for children, there was no definite antagonist, making a good story difficult to conjure. The humour was quite minimal and most of the story predictable, although not every second film goes without connections; it was nice to see the back-stories of some characters that appeared in the first film, and how they got into their ‘situation’, but one small character towards the end did seem quite forced, as if they had run out of ideas to throw in.

As a general film? Good.
    But as a Pixar film?
    Disappointing.
  65. Jul 19, 2013
    well written script with decent animations and full of humor .So hard to guess the story even in a an animation movie so curiosity there till the end.This the best animation movie after the croods in 2013
  66. Jul 18, 2013
    As A Film On It's Own It's Marvelous But Being A Sequel To One Of The Best Pixar Movies Ever It's Decent The Animation Is Good, The Story Is Hit, Miss, The Characters The Main Ones Are Unforgettable Except For Randall He Isn't In The Movie Much The Supporting On The Other Hand I Forgot Like 90% Of Them But it's Still Good Even With Those Flaws
  67. Jul 18, 2013
    While the film is not as good as the first, this film still has hilarious moments and creative ones as the first film did. The film is full of heart. Bless Pixar's heart, they did it again- they got me involved emotionally.
  68. Jul 18, 2013
    Perfunctory. While entertaining and fast-paced, Monsters University lacks originality and genuine emotion. Toy Story 3 feels like it was ages ago now.
  69. Jul 17, 2013
    Monsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the other studios. While the plot runs around in a straight forward manner, MU ends up strongly, and in an exciting note to boot as well. Nevertheless, we need moreMonsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the other studios. While the plot runs around in a straight forward manner, MU ends up strongly, and in an exciting note to boot as well. Nevertheless, we need more of their more original materials from now on, not their sequels. This is where Pixar excels the most. Expand
  70. Jul 17, 2013
    I went to see this with my 8 year old.He enjoyed it but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to Pixar films these days.No 3D for me and I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for it.the film is pretty funny in parts and the scare games was the funniest part in it.It just lacks something like the old Pixar films used to have. Can't put finger on it.The first Monsters Inc is still funnier thanI went to see this with my 8 year old.He enjoyed it but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to Pixar films these days.No 3D for me and I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for it.the film is pretty funny in parts and the scare games was the funniest part in it.It just lacks something like the old Pixar films used to have. Can't put finger on it.The first Monsters Inc is still funnier than this one but not a bad attempt by Pixar anyway. Well done guys. Expand
  71. Jul 16, 2013
    A fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the ending seemed a bit tacked on and it wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. They seemed to sort of rush the cameos of the first film's characters too, like theA fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the ending seemed a bit tacked on and it wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. They seemed to sort of rush the cameos of the first film's characters too, like the Snowman and Roz. Otherwise, the film had that Disney/Pixar charm that I've grown to love, with inventive characters, exciting visuals and the perfect balance of joyous and heart wrenching scenes. It's well worth the price of admission for any fan. Expand
  72. Jul 15, 2013
    Full of moral lessons. Great sequel movie. I love it.
    Very different from the first movie. Appreciate much that they focused on Mike this time :D
    Monster's University Rocks!!!!
  73. Jul 15, 2013
    Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite childhood movies. Now there's prequel for it, but does it still have the things that we loved from the first movie? The first movie made me laugh for a lot of times, but in these prequel the the jokes weren't funny at all. The movie lacked fresh jokes which is a bummer, considering that the first movie was damn funny. A lot of characters were notMonsters Inc. was one of my favorite childhood movies. Now there's prequel for it, but does it still have the things that we loved from the first movie? The first movie made me laugh for a lot of times, but in these prequel the the jokes weren't funny at all. The movie lacked fresh jokes which is a bummer, considering that the first movie was damn funny. A lot of characters were not explored, which I guess that they wanted to focus more on Mike and Sully, but it would have been really nice for us to know more about those other characters. For me, the story kinda felt a bit cliche, there was nothing new or fresh, which is another letdown because this is a prequel or an origin story that should show something new to the fans. I still had a lot of fun watching these movie and it had some nice throwback scenes from the first movie. I am going to give Monsters University an 8/10. Expand
  74. Jul 13, 2013
    This doesn't nearly deliver as much nostalgia as we'd expect from the great PIXAR, but is certainly a step in the right direction, and definitely provides an entertaining and humorous experience.
  75. Jul 12, 2013
    I was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watching how Mike & Sully meet and the prequel idea worked very well despite me having doubts. A lot of it is fun for the kids but big kids at heart like myselfI was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watching how Mike & Sully meet and the prequel idea worked very well despite me having doubts. A lot of it is fun for the kids but big kids at heart like myself will still certainly enjoy it, especially fans of the first film. Overall a big thumbs up! Expand
  76. Jul 11, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    I don’t know why, but I felt powerfully attached to Monsters University. It may be because Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite Pixar movies of all time. It may also be because I am currently around the age of our protagonists, so I can attest to their struggles. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s because Mike Wazowski and James Sullivan are the best frenemies to hit the big screen since Pixar’s older Woody and Buzz.
    Mike Wazowski is determined, but at a disadvantage, since he isn’t scary. James Sullivan is laidback, but at an advantage, since he’s scary as hell (he’s also legacy, but I’d rather not rant about legacy kids on a film critique). So why is the banter between these polar opposites so amusing to children and adults alike? It’s because they’re both a little obnoxious. They’ve got enough sour taste in each other to animate the screen almost as well as the crisp-clear animation software used to make the film (which is seriously praiseworthy).
    Technique-wise, the film rarely fails. Sure, the plotline may be a little formulaic and linear, but the plot twists are just enough to keep both the story and the character development moving. Even near the end of the film, you’ll find some sappy emotion we’ve come to expect from Pixar.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Monsters University is not only the best and most charismatic animated film of the year thus far; it is also a testament to Pixar’s glory years and a sign that maybe Cars 2 and Brave were just a depressing phase that Pixar is hopefully passing. (I’d also like to laud Helen Mirren’s character, Dean Hardscrabble. She is one tough cookie you’ll both enjoy and fear watching)

FINAL SCORE: 85 (excitingly great ----------o---------- almost perfect)
  77. Jul 11, 2013
    Monster's University is a fine movie, especially for young kids. This movie is more of a prequel, focusing on how Mike and Sully met. It's been 12 years, after all, since we've seen Pixar's favorite one eyed and turquoise monster's. If you have kids, take them to see this movie. It has witty jokes and good lessons for lessons. But if you're expecting another Monster's Inc., you might findMonster's University is a fine movie, especially for young kids. This movie is more of a prequel, focusing on how Mike and Sully met. It's been 12 years, after all, since we've seen Pixar's favorite one eyed and turquoise monster's. If you have kids, take them to see this movie. It has witty jokes and good lessons for lessons. But if you're expecting another Monster's Inc., you might find yourself disappointed. The plot isn't as rich as Monster's Inc. was in 2001, and the theme doesn't transcend as much to adults. Many have said that Pixar's golden age has passed. Personally, I don't believe that we can't see another great movie from John Lasseter, but with recent movies like Cars 2 and Brave, the bar has not been hit. Also, many of the other animation studios have caught up to Pixar. Sony Pictures is creating another Smurfs movie, Fox animation has Rio, and Dreamworks has a couple of strong franchises like Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar. Pixar really has to hit the right nail with Finding Dory. Expand
  78. Jul 11, 2013
    I had really low expectations for this movie, because i thought they were going to ruin it, just like they did with "Cars". But i'm extremely impressed by "Monsters University"! I never thought i was going to say that, because i had low expectations but this one is even better than the original "Monsters Inc"! I watched it twice in the theaters and can't wait for it's release on dvd andI had really low expectations for this movie, because i thought they were going to ruin it, just like they did with "Cars". But i'm extremely impressed by "Monsters University"! I never thought i was going to say that, because i had low expectations but this one is even better than the original "Monsters Inc"! I watched it twice in the theaters and can't wait for it's release on dvd and blu-ray. My score is 8/10 Expand
  79. Jul 10, 2013
    Wow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared the same heart as the first Monster's movie and it was as cute, funny, and endearing as the first one. I really liked that they did not use the movie asWow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared the same heart as the first Monster's movie and it was as cute, funny, and endearing as the first one. I really liked that they did not use the movie as an opportunity to parody college, but instead painted an interesting back story using it as the setting for the Monsters. All in all, great fun. I will add that I would give the first movie a 10, too, so that's where this 10 is coming from as well a fan of the first. If you haven't seen it, don't worry, you don't need to, but if you DID see the first and you didn't like it, you probably won't like this one. Expand
  80. Jul 10, 2013
    It may not achieve the quality level of the first one, but 'Monsters University' still have the soul that resides on it's charismatic characters and it's Pixar's best film since 'Toy Story 3'.
  81. Jul 9, 2013
    Going into this movie, I thought it would be extremely underwhelming, mainly because of it main setting. However, I found myself enjoying it very much. It may not be as timeless as its predecessor, but M.U. holds its own with its enjoyable characters, great animation and fun humor.
  82. Jul 8, 2013
    The animation was, as always, quite spectacular. As far as laughs and story go, I felt like this fell a little short of what I would expect from a studio with such a legacy. Is Disney just...forcing them to make these sequels/prequels at this point? I seem to remember a time when it felt like Pixar was pretty damn creative.
  83. Jul 6, 2013
    WOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watching the movie made me reminisce about the past when I was scared of monsters. Pixar nailed this one and to me, it is an instant childhood classic.
  84. Jul 6, 2013
    An almost return to form for Pixar after the disaster known as Cars 2. While MU isn't the best pixar movie, and most likely due to the lack of Boo, it provides solid, cute entertainment.
  85. Jul 6, 2013
    This movie is great.I really like the college setting.The story is great,the characters are entertaining and the perfect prequel to Monsters Inc.,but I think it's better than Monsters Inc.
  86. Jul 6, 2013
    Even with the G rating, Monster University is enjoyable for all ages. This film features strong plot, unique character, nice characters development and also some gleeful humor. even this film is not as thrilling as Monster Inc, this film is this year must see film.
  87. Jul 4, 2013
    While the only thing that stops it from becoming a masterpiece is the fact that it is a prequel (which almost every prequel suffers with), "Monsters University" is a true delight. With a hilarious tale with emotion put into it, "Monsters University" uses the wit of its world to create a delightful and hilarious origin for the original Pixar film, "Monsters Inc.".
    The first act, which
    The first act, which starts out well, shows the story of Mike Wazowski, and it is done quite well. The writers in the film did a wonderful job displaying the perfect explanation of college life and it gives a bunch of laughs to any person who has dealt with the difficult life in college. While the first act turns into the second act, it can slightly edge towards a more kid-friendly idea. The second act, which features the "Scare Games", may be predictable, as it deals with underdogs coming to the top, but its use of its world puts depth into each round if the competition. As the movie takes a surprisingly twist to the third act, the movie enters to an dark and deep climax that clicks with the message, and makes this movie stronger and deeper in emotions. The ending will lead towards the beginning of "Monsters Inc.", which I truly enjoyed, knowing that I could watch the movie right after. Overall, the first act and the third act are more powerful towards the message in the movie (I won't spoil it to readers who haven't watched the movie yet), and in my case, are the more powerful parts to this film. The second act is fun and enjoyable, but it lacks the Pixar quality compared to the brilliant parts that come with the first and third act. To some what sum the message in the movie, it is one that many kid movies wouldn't even think of telling, and once again proves that Pixar is at the top of the animated class. While "Monsters University" has a not too deep and a predictable second act, it is still a wonderful, hilarious, and beautifully animated film, as the first and third act strengthened it.
    While although the score doesn't seem high on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, I am concerned due to the fact that this movie isn't as bad as it was rated from several critics, and when reading several reviews, it leads me to believe that several critics judge the film to what they wanted to see, and not whats there. The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't judge films based on their studio's streak, and you should judge from what's there. If you can enjoy "Monsters University" for what it is and not how good it is compared to other Pixar classics, you are almost guaranteed to have a wonderful and enjoyable time.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    While it may not be Pixar’s finest work Monsters University is still entertaining. The film made me chuckle a few times and as a way to kill some time it was not a bad way to spend it. If you are a little kid or a fan of Monsters Inc. check this one out because you will probably really like it. It is about on the same level as its predecessor providing the same likeable characters from theWhile it may not be Pixar’s finest work Monsters University is still entertaining. The film made me chuckle a few times and as a way to kill some time it was not a bad way to spend it. If you are a little kid or a fan of Monsters Inc. check this one out because you will probably really like it. It is about on the same level as its predecessor providing the same likeable characters from the first film, which fans of the original will be overjoyed to see again, and a cute story that will make you smile and chuckle from time to time. It is slow and boring at times but as the film goes on it becomes more and more engaging making it something that is worth checking out. If you are hoping for something on the same level as Up or Toy Story 3 this film is not for you but if just want to see something cute that will keep you busy for an hour and a half check Monsters University out. This is a cute little film that is more or less as enjoyable as its predecessor. Expand
  89. Jul 3, 2013
    If this came from any other animation studio I would have said this was a perfectly serviceable comedy, with a touch of a deeper meaning. But this is from Pixar, and I start with such high expectations. Pixar has brought us to some wonderful places, the hidden worlds of toys, ants, fish, even rats. Imaginative places like Monstropolis, Earth 700 years in the future, Radiator Springs,If this came from any other animation studio I would have said this was a perfectly serviceable comedy, with a touch of a deeper meaning. But this is from Pixar, and I start with such high expectations. Pixar has brought us to some wonderful places, the hidden worlds of toys, ants, fish, even rats. Imaginative places like Monstropolis, Earth 700 years in the future, Radiator Springs, and a floating house. In this movie we went to college, without anything wondrous or imaginative revealed. I really hope Pixar can return to the gems it created for so many years, otherwise I will not be rushing to see their movies in the theaters. Expand
  90. Jul 3, 2013
    We took the kids to this (8 and 5 years old) and really enjoyed the movie. Good fun for the whole family and enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.
  91. Jul 2, 2013
    I will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's a bit cheesy at times, but there were plenty of laughs. The subtle tie-ins to the first were creative and laugh-out-loud funny. As adults, we've seenI will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's a bit cheesy at times, but there were plenty of laughs. The subtle tie-ins to the first were creative and laugh-out-loud funny. As adults, we've seen this story before (Revenge of the Nerds, Animal House, etc) but this is new for kids, and my daughters loved it. The animation is exactly what you'd expect from Pixar and the writing is crisp and doesn't get bogged down in character development. If you haven't seen it, please leave your expectations at home. That way, you will enjoy it. Expand
  92. Jul 2, 2013
    I loved the original and thought that this one was almost as good, and it's a great family movie. The only problem I had was that some of the plot points were ruined as I knew what was going to happen because it was a prequel.
  93. Jul 2, 2013
    I don't see why there is so much hate for this movie. I'll admit it's not Pixar's best film, but it's definitely not it's worst. I enjoyed all of the references it made to the first film, some are hidden, so look out for those. This movie had a lot more action than I expected. It also had it's fair share of comedic moments, but not as much as I expected. This movie introduces a wholeI don't see why there is so much hate for this movie. I'll admit it's not Pixar's best film, but it's definitely not it's worst. I enjoyed all of the references it made to the first film, some are hidden, so look out for those. This movie had a lot more action than I expected. It also had it's fair share of comedic moments, but not as much as I expected. This movie introduces a whole plethora of new characters with spectacular actors to do the voices such as Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscrabble, Nathan Fillion as Johnny Worthington, and my personal favorite, Charlie Day's character, Art. Don't listen to the critics, this movie is still filled with loads of Pixar-y goodness that any fan of animated films will enjoy. Expand
  94. Jul 2, 2013
    Monsters University was a joy to watch. Equally entertaining and stunningly animated. I do however feel it didn't quite live up to Pixar's esteemed lineage of films with the ability to captivate equally- young children, teenagers and adults. As a final year university student- the antics of Mike and Sully reminded me of great experiences i'd had and some I wish I'd had. Many youngerMonsters University was a joy to watch. Equally entertaining and stunningly animated. I do however feel it didn't quite live up to Pixar's esteemed lineage of films with the ability to captivate equally- young children, teenagers and adults. As a final year university student- the antics of Mike and Sully reminded me of great experiences i'd had and some I wish I'd had. Many younger children in the theatre however began to lose interest as the story developed.

Overal another incredible film by the titan of animation studios that is Pixar which unfortunately did not live up to its predecessors.
  95. Jul 1, 2013
    This movies is so freaking good! It starts kind of slow but then it engages you until the end and it really does an excellent job. I am 20 and i was laughing like a child at the theatre, mainly because the connection to the previous movie. Totally recommended.
  96. Jul 1, 2013
    The higher the bar is set the harder is to keep it. That is the case with the new Pixar's animation movie "Monsters University", prequel to "Monsters, Inc." Even though it is a decent Pixar movie, professionally done and pleasant to watch, it is not nearly as good as the first one. "Monsters, Inc." became a classic right away, this one will not…
  97. Jun 30, 2013
    This felt like more of a cash grab then an actual movie. The message for kids was rather lame. Certainly not in the league of Up! Or Brave. It wasn't really bad, just meh.
  98. Jun 30, 2013
    I remember seeing "Monsters Inc" as a kid, and how it kept me and even my parents bringing it up every now and then. "Monsters University" is beyond what you hoped for. It's funny and entertaining from start to finish, and as nostalgic as can be. To see how the characters we know and love (or hate, huh, Randall?) from the original "Monsters Inc" all met each other or how they got to whereI remember seeing "Monsters Inc" as a kid, and how it kept me and even my parents bringing it up every now and then. "Monsters University" is beyond what you hoped for. It's funny and entertaining from start to finish, and as nostalgic as can be. To see how the characters we know and love (or hate, huh, Randall?) from the original "Monsters Inc" all met each other or how they got to where they are. Although it is not as emotionally touching as "Monsters Inc", and I personally think the movie is a bit too focussed around Mike rather than the duo, it is definately one of Pixar's best. Expand
  99. Jun 30, 2013
    This a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monstersThis a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monsters inc again. My only complaint about this,and all other pixar movies is the long wait between the sequels, almost ten years wait after every movie! Expand
  100. Jun 30, 2013
    Funny and whimsical, Monsters University is exactly in line with its' predecessor, a feat many sequels ever achieve. The movie is an old-fashioned family treat that only Pixar can put together. Great animation, great comedy and screenplay, and solid messages on friendship and learning from our failures in life make this another perfectly solid Pixar effort.

Now, it is surprisingly

Now, it is surprisingly light on emotional moments, which made movies like Up, WALL-E and Brave a bit better than this. And the films' brief college parties may require the need for discussion. But this is yet another well-crafted animated movie the whole family can see.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jul 12, 2013
    Pixar falls back on the tried and tested in an entertaining caper that will be a surefire kid pleaser this summer. Old favourites are always welcome, but it would have been nice to see some more new ideas too.
  2. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Jul 12, 2013
    While Monsters University can’t claim outright originality, this is a far richer movie than most were expecting.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jul 12, 2013
    The animation is photoreal – startlingly and mesmerisingly so. And the depth of feeling the tale of their friendship evokes is matched only by your incredulity, as you paw at your eyes six minutes later, that you are crying about two computer-generated umbrellas.