Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 21, 2013
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 614 Ratings
WATCH NOW
mapizarroJun 21, 2013
If you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. LaughesIf you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. Laughes are guaranteed. Expand
MovieGoer14Jun 29, 2013
I was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever momentsI was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever moments and insightful animation. Expand
ceefrostyJun 21, 2013
If you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen andIf you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen and I was still excited the entire time. This movie is also worth seeing in 3D. The animation is amazing. #seeit Expand
conboydudeJun 23, 2013
Being as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you hadBeing as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you had time as a kid to grow up with these movies they add so many little things from the original one into the movie, they add characters, items, and even phrases. All these little cameos and being able to relive my childhood for that hour and half was amazing. Not just the movie made me appreciate not only the film it self. But growing up sucks. Fantastic piece of nostalgia and a fantastic film. Expand
ThegodfathersonJun 22, 2013
Until Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and SulleyUntil Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) are funny enough and their relationship rich enough to make the back story worth telling. The result is a charming addition to the Monsters canon. Expand
Pablo22Jun 29, 2013
Pixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever andPixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever and funny jokes but some just felt kinda dumb and meaningless like the majority of the animated movies that have come out in these past years. Also the movie's second act felt a little empty.
But at the beginning of MU I was laughing at many clever things that I notices and I was surprised at an unexpected turn that the prologue took. Speaking of surprises, the third act of this movie was my favorite part of it and maybe one of my favorite "final part" of any Pixar movie. It was clever, surprising and emotionally charged!
Also one little thing that I want to highlight is the university man! They did an awesome job building it and creating the ambient of it. Especially at one scene at night I am gonna say, I felt in Disney Land. It was colorful and living.
So in the end this movie was what I expect a good Pixar movie to be and I hope they keep in this direction and not stray into another (I'm talking to you Cars 2).
iknowhatsbestJun 30, 2013
This a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original toThis a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monsters inc again. My only complaint about this,and all other pixar movies is the long wait between the sequels, almost ten years wait after every movie! Expand
LansdenrsJun 21, 2013
This isn't an emotional journey. It's not even close to beating wall-e or up. But it is an extravagant adventure. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and has a very good message.
manjuananthJun 23, 2013
It is the best movie I've ever seen. The graphics were really awesome and I was crying at the end. The third act is also very interesting but I don't want to spoil anything. It is simply the best movie I've ever seen.
mrwilkersJul 3, 2013
We took the kids to this (8 and 5 years old) and really enjoyed the movie. Good fun for the whole family and enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.
GarnicaBrandonMJul 6, 2013
WOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watchingWOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watching the movie made me reminisce about the past when I was scared of monsters. Pixar nailed this one and to me, it is an instant childhood classic. Expand
ERB2Aug 9, 2013
This movie is actually good.The movie is funny and has a good story.This movie might not be as good as the first one but still I consider this as one of the best movies this year.
Apoe7Jun 21, 2013
This film brought back what Pixar is all about. It had all the action and necessary plot points to entertain the older audience but keep the kids happy with the laughs and seeing their favorite characters. It was enjoyable, fun, and with aThis film brought back what Pixar is all about. It had all the action and necessary plot points to entertain the older audience but keep the kids happy with the laughs and seeing their favorite characters. It was enjoyable, fun, and with a message that will help those that are at the point of choosing what to do with their lives. It may not be as great as the original (as it is true with other films) but it is exceptionally better than Pixar's previous two attempts (Brave & Cars 2). Pixar chose accurately when to release this sequel.
P.S. John Goodman and Billy Crystal are as great as ever.
drlowdonDec 24, 2013
Overall Monsters University is not quite as clever, or as funny, as its predecessor but the great cast of characters, and Disney Pixar's usually flair, makes for another enjoyable hour and a half of animated comedy.
utmamJul 2, 2013
I will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's aI will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's a bit cheesy at times, but there were plenty of laughs. The subtle tie-ins to the first were creative and laugh-out-loud funny. As adults, we've seen this story before (Revenge of the Nerds, Animal House, etc) but this is new for kids, and my daughters loved it. The animation is exactly what you'd expect from Pixar and the writing is crisp and doesn't get bogged down in character development. If you haven't seen it, please leave your expectations at home. That way, you will enjoy it. Expand
DrChocolateJun 28, 2013
Another film to add to Pixar's classics. I enjoyed it even more than the original. While there is no Boo to make the film sentimental, the film's messages are poignant enough without her. Highly recommended.
Nostalgic9tailsJul 16, 2013
A fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the endingA fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the ending seemed a bit tacked on and it wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. They seemed to sort of rush the cameos of the first film's characters too, like the Snowman and Roz. Otherwise, the film had that Disney/Pixar charm that I've grown to love, with inventive characters, exciting visuals and the perfect balance of joyous and heart wrenching scenes. It's well worth the price of admission for any fan. Expand
genericusenameJun 23, 2013
Not any better or worse than the original. Not as great as other Pixar movies, but it still had that charm Monsters Inc had. It was well written with a basic but enjoyable plot. I was hoping for a little bit more, but it was solid all around.
MurozakiJul 10, 2013
It may not achieve the quality level of the first one, but 'Monsters University' still have the soul that resides on it's charismatic characters and it's Pixar's best film since 'Toy Story 3'.
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
For Pixar, Monsters University stops the bleeding. In the wake of two disappointing films, 2012's lackluster Brave and 2011's misfire Cars 2, the animation company has returned to solid footing with a prequel to their 2001 entry, MonstersFor Pixar, Monsters University stops the bleeding. In the wake of two disappointing films, 2012's lackluster Brave and 2011's misfire Cars 2, the animation company has returned to solid footing with a prequel to their 2001 entry, Monsters Inc. Although there is undoubtedly a financial foundation for mining past successes, Monsters University is nevertheless a charming, family friendly endeavor and, although it falls short of the best Pixar has brought to the screen over its long association with Disney, it's nevertheless worth a trip to the theater, especially for kids.

As was true of Monsters Inc., Monsters University gets most of its mileage out of the atypical friendship between the big, furry Sullivan (voice of John Goodman) and the little green Cyclops Mike (Billy Crystal). Since Monsters Inc. effectively wrapped up going-forward story possibilities, the creative team elected to go the prequel route, so this is the tale of how Mike and Sullivan met, overcame an initial rivalry, and became friends. Although pitched at a level that won't bore adults, the film's content is kid-centered, complete with life lessons about the values of friendship, cooperation, and believing in oneself and others.

Computer generated animation has long since reached a plateau level where the artwork results in the kinds of "oohs" and "aahs" that it once did. We rarely notice the richness of detail evident especially in the background the way we once did because every animated film boasts this - it's expected. Monsters University maintains the standard of quality expected from Pixar although, as is too often the case, the incorporation of 3-D is of dubious value. Seen in 2-D, this is a bright, cheerful motion picture. The tradeoff for getting things to pop off the screen is that the colors aren't as vibrant. I feel like a broken record making this comment: some animated films benefit from 3-D but it's hard to argue that Monsters University is one of them.

Pixar's decision to develop some of their most popular movies into franchises hit a rough patch when Cars 2 failed to perform up to expectations. Monsters University, however, makes the argument that this may have been an unfortunate exception. Although the second Monsters movie won't challenge Toy Story 2 or Toy Story 3 as the best sequel to emerge from the studio, it's a strong enough animated film to rise to the top of summer family-friendly fare. The energy and comedy are strong and the only thing off-color is the palette when seen through 3-D lenses. This isn't a home run for Disney/Pixar but it's a solid double.
YellowKirbyDec 11, 2015
Lots of people either say this sucked, or that this was only decent/okay. I thought it was great! It's bright, colourful and playful. Mike, Sully and Randall return, for more monster-sized fun. It obviously wasn't as good as the first one,Lots of people either say this sucked, or that this was only decent/okay. I thought it was great! It's bright, colourful and playful. Mike, Sully and Randall return, for more monster-sized fun. It obviously wasn't as good as the first one, but it has a good story and breath-taking animation, so I don't see where all the hate comes from. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 15, 2016
Okay, I'm sure everyone wanted a sequel more than a prequel, but Pixar's first attempt at a prequel was never done until this came out in 2013 (One of the greatest years) and it's a good one too even though it revealed plot holes to theOkay, I'm sure everyone wanted a sequel more than a prequel, but Pixar's first attempt at a prequel was never done until this came out in 2013 (One of the greatest years) and it's a good one too even though it revealed plot holes to the original Monsters, Inc., but who really cares about that anyways? Expand
ROFLoomJun 21, 2013
Much better than Pixar's last 2 attempts (Cars 2, Brave) a cute fun motion picture, beautifully animated of course, just lacks that special Pixar emotional roller coaster. Still holds some Disney magic, and for a prequel fairly well done. IMuch better than Pixar's last 2 attempts (Cars 2, Brave) a cute fun motion picture, beautifully animated of course, just lacks that special Pixar emotional roller coaster. Still holds some Disney magic, and for a prequel fairly well done. I will have to watch it several more times, but as for now I will say its good, not a Pixar classic, but good. Expand
BikerjamesJun 24, 2013
Monsters University is certainly a step up from the last two disappointments (Cars 2 and Brave), but it isn't quite as good as the original. The original had Boo, who was the heart and soul of the film. Without her, the film focuses solelyMonsters University is certainly a step up from the last two disappointments (Cars 2 and Brave), but it isn't quite as good as the original. The original had Boo, who was the heart and soul of the film. Without her, the film focuses solely on Mike and Sully and the plot is the basic sorority film you've seen many times. Most of it was predictable, but it was entertaining and had some good laughs. I saw it in a full theater with lots of kids and the film captured their attention. As always, the animation itself is first rate and looks terrific. I did not see it in 3D so cannot comment on that. Expand
SirSX3Jul 29, 2013
I waited 12 years for a sequel to Monsters Inc., (I was looking forward to Boo reuniting with the duo) but we got a prequel instead. Regardless, I enjoyed it.
This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which
This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which mostly focus on Sullivan. The best part of the film is the opening and the ending; the main portion of the film is alright, but the start and the end is great.
Despite being a follow-up, this film feels like it's its own movie. (instead of trying too hard to make it similar to the original)

Has room for improvement, but great time regardless. 4 out of 5 stars.
Jarbas6Jun 23, 2013
NO MAJOR SPOILERS
NO MAJOR SPOILERS
This is basically a love letter for fans of the first movie. Monsters, Inc. was my favorite movie of all time and University has so many details that will have you remind yourself from the first movie. For example, the monster from the first movie that had a human sock stuck in his back shows up a few times and these little moments bring a lot of nostalgia.
MU isn't the best movie ever; as this is a prequel to Monsters, Inc. it's missing a key emotional element, Boo, which makes it much more a comedy movie than an emotional journey; but Monsters University does have a lesson to learn from that hasn't been much explored by many other motion pictures and if you see the movie you'll understand me.
Monsters University isn't as heart warming and well scripted as the first movie, but it isn't really meant to be. It's meant to be a fun prequel serving as a love letter to fans of the brilliant Monsters Inc. And it does so very well.
dharmaJul 17, 2013
Monsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the otherMonsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the other studios. While the plot runs around in a straight forward manner, MU ends up strongly, and in an exciting note to boot as well. Nevertheless, we need more of their more original materials from now on, not their sequels. This is where Pixar excels the most. Expand
lasttimeisawDec 24, 2013
I haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But startI haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But start afresh, MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is no less entertaining than any other Pixar-labelled “high-art” animations, although it doesn’t reach the peak where the one-two-three punch WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10) has thrived.

It is a standard college comedy, reminiscent of Harry Potter trio’s adventure in Hogwarts, Mike being a male version of Hermoine the know-it-all, studious but more aggressive and pertinacious; Sullivan is the golden boy who struts and banters for popularity with his inborn stature and family prestige. So from foes to friends they have to learn their lessons in a hard way, Mike being an overachieving geek in the wrong game and Sullivan squandering his time and talent and taking a lofty goal for granted, twist number one; next step, an underdog’s team work to crown the champion in the scary competition, but an indiscreet but understandable machine-rigging undermines the victory, this is twist number two; then an extravaganza into the toxic human world comes to a climax shows the pair’s true potentiality and produces the twist number three; then unlike the conventional happy ending in Disney world, the twist number four heartwarmingly brings them into a niche place and avers one maxim, there isn’t only one way to reach your goal.

Since Mike and Sullivan aren’t exactly the funny wisecrackers, all assortment of monster sidekicks not only have to arrest your glances but also elicit laughters, frankly speaking, the belly-laughing moments are not so frequent as RIO (2011, 8/10) for instance, and occasionally it loses momentum in its execution of the story, the five rounds of competition are unevenly exposed. Randy Newman’s music is still uplifting and all-age friendly, but the excitement doesn’t register anymore, still the brand of Pixar is aiming to a youngster-slanting demography for the sake of maximizing the profit, but the story of undergraduates and fraternity could be more nostalgic to adult audiences, its wavering standpoint may cause detriment and set a barricade to retain the golden medal as the torchbearer in the business above and beyond its unparalleled production team.
skyminsterJul 30, 2013
Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good isMonsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original, but this new one is brilliant, as it has a hilarious script and moments, fun action scenes, and great character building. My favourite character of the film has to be Art, he is hilarious! I love the action filled suspence and comedy of the 'Scare Games', and like the unexpecdted twists, but I don't want to spoil anything. So I give this film a... 94/100! Expand
FrinkerAug 27, 2013
Not a 10/10 masterpiece like Toy Story or Finding Nemo however for its premise it does everything right. I enjoyed the whole thing, never felt bored, laughed out loud and even had some great nostalgic moments!