7.8

1. Jun 21, 2013
    If you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen and I was still excited the entire time. This movie is also worth seeing in 3D. The animation is amazing. #seeit
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    I was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever moments and insightful animation.
  3. Jun 22, 2013
    Not a bad film but nothing special from Pixar. I am a big Monsters inc. fan and I really like the characters of Mike and Sully, but I was hoping for a more spirited effort.
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    This film brought back what Pixar is all about. It had all the action and necessary plot points to entertain the older audience but keep the kids happy with the laughs and seeing their favorite characters. It was enjoyable, fun, and with a message that will help those that are at the point of choosing what to do with their lives. It may not be as great as the original (as it is true with other films) but it is exceptionally better than Pixar's previous two attempts (Brave & Cars 2). Pixar chose accurately when to release this sequel.
    P.S. John Goodman and Billy Crystal are as great as ever.
  5. Jun 23, 2013
    Being as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you had time as a kid to grow up with these movies they add so many little things from the original one into the movie, they add characters, items, and even phrases. All these little cameos and being able to relive my childhood for that hour and half was amazing. Not just the movie made me appreciate not only the film it self. But growing up sucks. Fantastic piece of nostalgia and a fantastic film. Expand
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    Nothing exciting here to be found. This movie could have been a movie for the record books but falls way to short. Nothing close to the 1st movie. Wait to see it for free on tv.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    If you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. Laughes are guaranteed.
  8. Jun 21, 2013
    This isn't an emotional journey. It's not even close to beating wall-e or up. But it is an extravagant adventure. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and has a very good message.
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    Pixar has created some of the best movies over the last decade because of their originality, cleverness and genuine emotion. Monsters University has virtually none of those qualities which makes the movie like a standard animation film, which is a disappointment for Pixar.
  10. Jun 21, 2013
    Much better than Pixar's last 2 attempts (Cars 2, Brave) a cute fun motion picture, beautifully animated of course, just lacks that special Pixar emotional roller coaster. Still holds some Disney magic, and for a prequel fairly well done. I will have to watch it several more times, but as for now I will say its good, not a Pixar classic, but good.
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    A fitting prequel for Monster's Inc., all the way from first meetings of Mike, Sully and Randall to Mike's inner ambitions to be something he's just not cut out to be. The main reason I didn't give this a higher score is that the ending seemed a bit tacked on and it wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. They seemed to sort of rush the cameos of the first film's characters too, like the Snowman and Roz. Otherwise, the film had that Disney/Pixar charm that I've grown to love, with inventive characters, exciting visuals and the perfect balance of joyous and heart wrenching scenes. It's well worth the price of admission for any fan. Expand
  12. Jun 22, 2013
    Until Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) are funny enough and their relationship rich enough to make the back story worth telling. The result is a charming addition to the Monsters canon.
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    Pixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever and funny jokes but some just felt kinda dumb and meaningless like the majority of the animated movies that have come out in these past years. Also the movie's second act felt a little empty.
    But at the beginning of MU I was laughing at many clever things that I notices and I was surprised at an unexpected turn that the prologue took. Speaking of surprises, the third act of this movie was my favorite part of it and maybe one of my favorite "final part" of any Pixar movie. It was clever, surprising and emotionally charged!
    Also one little thing that I want to highlight is the university man! They did an awesome job building it and creating the ambient of it. Especially at one scene at night I am gonna say, I felt in Disney Land. It was colorful and living.
    So in the end this movie was what I expect a good Pixar movie to be and I hope they keep in this direction and not stray into another (I'm talking to you Cars 2).
  14. Jun 30, 2013
    This a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monsters inc again. My only complaint about this,and all other pixar movies is the long wait between the sequels, almost ten years wait after every movie! Expand
  15. Jun 23, 2013
    Not any better or worse than the original. Not as great as other Pixar movies, but it still had that charm Monsters Inc had. It was well written with a basic but enjoyable plot. I was hoping for a little bit more, but it was solid all around.
  16. Jul 3, 2013
    We took the kids to this (8 and 5 years old) and really enjoyed the movie. Good fun for the whole family and enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.
  17. Jul 6, 2013
    WOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watching the movie made me reminisce about the past when I was scared of monsters. Pixar nailed this one and to me, it is an instant childhood classic.
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is actually good.The movie is funny and has a good story.This movie might not be as good as the first one but still I consider this as one of the best movies this year.
  19. BKM
    Nov 19, 2013
    Monsters University occupies the middle ground when it comes to Pixar sequels. It's not as innovative or emotionally resonant as Toy Story 2 or 3, but it's a great deal more fun and engaging than the needless Cars 2. The animation is so gorgeous and the voice work so accomplished, that you almost don't notice that the plot and characters are paper thin.
  20. Jun 23, 2013
    Monsters University is the new 14th Pixar animated feature and the prequel of the biggest animated classic, Monsters Inc. Since 12 years of making the new prequel where monsters are planning to go college first before they started to work at the company. Monsters Inc. is very creativity film with big laughs, great animation design of monsters, and a great story, but this new movie is quite different and it's not as good as the original. The back story takes place where Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) is going to university and he's learning to become a scary monster, so he can scare children in closets around the world. Mike has to team up with Sulley (John Goodman) and the rest of the non scarier students to help them out to prove themselves to become very scary, so that the dean will not kick them out from the university. We meet our colorful friends in the university like Randall from the first movie, two headed monster Terri & Terry Perry, the owner of the club Don Carlton, and the other colorful monsters. The university is pretty cool to look at like the background is pretty neat, the animation is pretty bright, and the design is unique from the first movie. Monsters University is okay for most children and family will enjoy, but unfortunately the movie is pretty average and it wasn't that spectacular like the original movie. The main issue is that characters are not that interested and story needs to take time where both heroes who started at the university. It reminds us that the college and university is coming back to learn something we already knew from the start and we can't quite decide of whether we learn from the past or we want is another generation. Surprisely, the movie tries so hard to make this prequel and it didn't quite expect to coming back to learn everything we already did. Thumb Down. Expand
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    While it may not be Pixar’s finest work Monsters University is still entertaining. The film made me chuckle a few times and as a way to kill some time it was not a bad way to spend it. If you are a little kid or a fan of Monsters Inc. check this one out because you will probably really like it. It is about on the same level as its predecessor providing the same likeable characters from the first film, which fans of the original will be overjoyed to see again, and a cute story that will make you smile and chuckle from time to time. It is slow and boring at times but as the film goes on it becomes more and more engaging making it something that is worth checking out. If you are hoping for something on the same level as Up or Toy Story 3 this film is not for you but if just want to see something cute that will keep you busy for an hour and a half check Monsters University out. This is a cute little film that is more or less as enjoyable as its predecessor. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    Monsters University is certainly a step up from the last two disappointments (Cars 2 and Brave), but it isn't quite as good as the original. The original had Boo, who was the heart and soul of the film. Without her, the film focuses solely on Mike and Sully and the plot is the basic sorority film you've seen many times. Most of it was predictable, but it was entertaining and had some good laughs. I saw it in a full theater with lots of kids and the film captured their attention. As always, the animation itself is first rate and looks terrific. I did not see it in 3D so cannot comment on that. Expand
  23. Mar 24, 2014
    The movie should have been called "A couple of losers in the University"
    And the moral for kids is: Don't waste your time studying. You can be a "successful loser".
  24. Nov 8, 2013
    I really expected more from Pixar, especially considering how fantastic Monsters Inc. was. Unfortunately this prequel ends up falling short,. Not only does it fail to live up to its predecessor, but it also fails to live up to Pixar's reputation for animated movies.

It's got some humorous moments, but everything from plot to the characters falls short in my opinion. It ends up feeling
    very dull and predictable unlike most of Pixar's previous works. There are some good things here like Charlie Day's character, watching the Randall and Sully rivalry start, and it will keep kids entertained, but it is one of Pixar's lames efforts. It disappointed the huge Monsters Inc. fan in me, and as a prequel it failed to add anything that would make me rethink events of the first movie. Really I expected more from Pixar.

This is a huge disappointment. It captures none of the Pixar magic and stands beside Cars 2 as one of Pixar's rare disappointments. It may be worth a rental if you were a huge fan of the original and have small kids, but for others it may just be better to skip this and keep those fond memories of Pixar still intact. This does some pretty big damage to their reputation.
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    The higher the bar is set the harder is to keep it. That is the case with the new Pixar's animation movie "Monsters University", prequel to "Monsters, Inc." Even though it is a decent Pixar movie, professionally done and pleasant to watch, it is not nearly as good as the first one. "Monsters, Inc." became a classic right away, this one will not…
  26. Dec 24, 2013
    Overall Monsters University is not quite as clever, or as funny, as its predecessor but the great cast of characters, and Disney Pixar's usually flair, makes for another enjoyable hour and a half of animated comedy.
  27. Jul 8, 2013
    The animation was, as always, quite spectacular. As far as laughs and story go, I felt like this fell a little short of what I would expect from a studio with such a legacy. Is Disney just...forcing them to make these sequels/prequels at this point? I seem to remember a time when it felt like Pixar was pretty damn creative.
  28. Jul 2, 2013
    I will admit that this movie was not as good as the first, but come on, few movies could be that good. If you go to see this movie expecting it to be as good as the first you will be disappointed. Objectively this is a very good movie. It's a bit cheesy at times, but there were plenty of laughs. The subtle tie-ins to the first were creative and laugh-out-loud funny. As adults, we've seen this story before (Revenge of the Nerds, Animal House, etc) but this is new for kids, and my daughters loved it. The animation is exactly what you'd expect from Pixar and the writing is crisp and doesn't get bogged down in character development. If you haven't seen it, please leave your expectations at home. That way, you will enjoy it. Expand
  29. Jul 29, 2013
    I waited 12 years for a sequel to Monsters Inc., (I was looking forward to Boo reuniting with the duo) but we got a prequel instead. Regardless, I enjoyed it.
    This movie focus more on Mike Wazowski, unlike the previous installment, which mostly focus on Sullivan. The best part of the film is the opening and the ending; the main portion of the film is alright, but the start and the end is
    great.
    Despite being a follow-up, this film feels like it's its own movie. (instead of trying too hard to make it similar to the original)

Has room for improvement, but great time regardless. 4 out of 5 stars.
  30. Jun 23, 2013
    NO MAJOR SPOILERS
    This is basically a love letter for fans of the first movie. Monsters, Inc. was my favorite movie of all time and University has so many details that will have you remind yourself from the first movie. For example, the monster from the first movie that had a human sock stuck in his back shows up a few times and these little moments bring a lot of nostalgia.
    MU isn't the
    best movie ever; as this is a prequel to Monsters, Inc. it's missing a key emotional element, Boo, which makes it much more a comedy movie than an emotional journey; but Monsters University does have a lesson to learn from that hasn't been much explored by many other motion pictures and if you see the movie you'll understand me.
    Monsters University isn't as heart warming and well scripted as the first movie, but it isn't really meant to be. It's meant to be a fun prequel serving as a love letter to fans of the brilliant Monsters Inc. And it does so very well.
  31. Sep 2, 2013
    I went into Monsters University with very little in the way of expectations and I came out surprised and disappointed at the same time as the prequel to Monsters Inc is both wonderful and aggravating at the same time. When Mike Wasowksi (Billy Crystal) arrives at Monsters University he meets rebellious James Sullivan (John Goodman) and the two tangle to become the greatest scarers until they are forced to team up to avoid getting expelled. University does manage to avoid the pratfalls of prequels by keeping the story light and narrow in scope while filling the film with a brand new crop of monsters and a few choice cameos for longtime monsters fans. However it also lacks that Monsters Inc had, a no holes barred adventure with a beautiful ending. University is fun and has some action in it but it lacks the guts of its predecessor and feels like its lacking because of it. As usual the animation is stellar with Pixar constantly raising the bar on themselves but it all feels similar. If anything, Monsters Inc has robber University of the awe this film would have caused as a stand alone feature. Crystal and Goodman are having fun doing the voices yet again as these two really come alive. The film depicts the beginning of a beautiful friendship and it finds its heart through this odd couple pairing but it lacks the child like innocence of Inc and ultimately if there is no Boo then you won't be able to achieve the same effect making it a good thing University doesn't try to. Expand
  32. Dec 18, 2013
    Monsters University is a colourful, beautiful and a visual-stunning Pixar effort that unfortunately fails to reach the standards of the brilliant predecessor, Monsters Inc. as well as most Pixar films in general, and the film is pretty unnecessary and didn't really need to happen. But I did certainly enjoy this film; it provide laughs (albeit not many) and was a rather entertaining film throughout and it never left me bored. If you are a fan of Monsters Inc. or Pixar films in general, this is worth-watching, though it may not be as good as other Pixar films. Expand
  33. Jul 17, 2013
    Monsters University may not be the Pixar masterpiece that everybody is waiting for, but it sure is one of their more entertaining ones in recent years or so. Again, their attention to detail and animation quality is way above the other studios. While the plot runs around in a straight forward manner, MU ends up strongly, and in an exciting note to boot as well. Nevertheless, we need more of their more original materials from now on, not their sequels. This is where Pixar excels the most. Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Monsters University is a pretty decent movie but it lacks a lot of the charm the first film had. I think a lot of that has to do with how original the story was initially and how that unique element is lost a bit in further iterations. I think Boo provided a lot of the charm in the first movie as well. It wasn't so obvious until watching a movie without her. Obviously Mike and Sully were both great but the competition with which the film is built upon feels a little weak. I know, it's a children's movie, but that's kind of the problem. While Monsters, Inc. was a film that the adults could appreciate, this one is more of a pure kiddy flick. It's still entertaining to a certain extent but without a lot of the depth from the first one, it's ultimately just a fun kids movie and not much more. Expand
  35. Dec 24, 2013
    I haven’t revisited MONSTERS, INC. (2001, 8/10) since its original release, so a decade later, forgive me for no photographic memory to scan the connections between it and its prequel (all I remember is Mike and Sullivan duo). But start afresh, MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is no less entertaining than any other Pixar-labelled “high-art” animations, although it doesn’t reach the peak where the one-two-three punch WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10) has thrived.

It is a standard college comedy, reminiscent of Harry Potter trio’s adventure in Hogwarts, Mike being a male version of Hermoine the know-it-all, studious but more aggressive and pertinacious; Sullivan is the golden boy who struts and banters for popularity with his inborn stature and family prestige. So from foes to friends they have to learn their lessons in a hard way, Mike being an overachieving geek in the wrong game and Sullivan squandering his time and talent and taking a lofty goal for granted, twist number one; next step, an underdog’s team work to crown the champion in the scary competition, but an indiscreet but understandable machine-rigging undermines the victory, this is twist number two; then an extravaganza into the toxic human world comes to a climax shows the pair’s true potentiality and produces the twist number three; then unlike the conventional happy ending in Disney world, the twist number four heartwarmingly brings them into a niche place and avers one maxim, there isn’t only one way to reach your goal.

Since Mike and Sullivan aren’t exactly the funny wisecrackers, all assortment of monster sidekicks not only have to arrest your glances but also elicit laughters, frankly speaking, the belly-laughing moments are not so frequent as RIO (2011, 8/10) for instance, and occasionally it loses momentum in its execution of the story, the five rounds of competition are unevenly exposed. Randy Newman’s music is still uplifting and all-age friendly, but the excitement doesn’t register anymore, still the brand of Pixar is aiming to a youngster-slanting demography for the sake of maximizing the profit, but the story of undergraduates and fraternity could be more nostalgic to adult audiences, its wavering standpoint may cause detriment and set a barricade to retain the golden medal as the torchbearer in the business above and beyond its unparalleled production team.
  36. Oct 14, 2013
    It's not that it's a bad movie, It just never really gets good. It's some-what funny, The new characters aren't that like-able, and they could have focused more on the back-story through out instead of little bits here and there. I agree with csw12's review 100%. It has none of the qualities of a great animated film, It's just painfully generic and that's what so disappointing about it.
  37. Jul 30, 2013
    Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original, but this new one is brilliant, as it has a hilarious script and moments, fun action scenes, and great character building. My favourite character of the film has to be Art, he is hilarious! I love the action filled suspence and comedy of the 'Scare Games', and like the unexpecdted twists, but I don't want to spoil anything. So I give this film a... 94/100! Expand
  38. Aug 27, 2013
    Not a 10/10 masterpiece like Toy Story or Finding Nemo however for its premise it does everything right. I enjoyed the whole thing, never felt bored, laughed out loud and even had some great nostalgic moments!
  39. Jun 24, 2013
    “Monsters University” has a simple and quite predictable story, as we already know that Mike and Sully will end up as friends at the end. However, the journey is more important than the destination and along the way we tackle themes of defying expectation. While the story is predictable, the writers and directors manage to throw a little surprise here and there. From some interesting character moments to laugh out loud situations. It’s sort of light on heart, but the film is engaging enough and the movie gets better as it progresses.

The main characters, Mike and Sully, retain much of their charm in this prequel. Mike takes the lead in this recent outing. He’s sweet, optimistic, and crazily dedicated. Sully is laid back, a slacker, and a bit insecure. However, it’s great to see him develop into the master scarer he is in the original film. It’s really fun to see how their relationship develops. Their constant bantering and butting of heads is fun to watch and the sweeter moments are endearing. There are some newer characters in the film as well and they add a lot of charm and humor to the film. My personal favorites are Art, a purple hairy monster with long legs, and Squishy, a awkwardly round monster, who gets some of the best laughs in the movie.

Aside from story, Pixar’s greatest strength is animation and this film has some of their best. The colors are vibrant and the hair effects are fluid. The one down side are the character designs. The main cast is fine, but some of the background characters just aren’t unique and look similar to one another. Randy Newman’s score is effective for the movie, but lacks a memorable spark. The score is just filled with generic college music, but it still weaves in some interesting emotional bits.

Overall, “Monsters University” is a fun and enjoyable film. While it doesn’t reach any emotional highs and the beginning is rocky, it has some really great laughs. The animation is top class even though some of the character designs are “meh” and the score is effective, but leaves more to be desired. It’s a great way for Pixar to get back on track. I give it 3.5/5, great fun and an extremely enjoyable time.
  40. Dec 25, 2013
    Although it doesn't have the heart of its original, Monsters University is worth the wait with its interesting and entertaning origins of our favorite characters.
  41. Dec 30, 2013
    About time Pixar made a good movie again.
    ............................................................................................................
  42. Dec 16, 2013
    First off, "Monsters University" is not as good as "Monsters Inc.". But the same magic in most Pixar movies is once again re-created in this touching prequel. It's still good fun for families, which would make kids burst out with laughter, and adults pulling a silly grin on their face here and there.
  43. Jul 20, 2013
    With fluid animations and a great cast, this prequel falls short with the story; it was far too basic and simple, making me assume the target audience was solely for children. However, even if aimed for children, there was no definite antagonist, making a good story difficult to conjure. The humour was quite minimal and most of the story predictable, although not every second film goes without connections; it was nice to see the back-stories of some characters that appeared in the first film, and how they got into their ‘situation’, but one small character towards the end did seem quite forced, as if they had run out of ideas to throw in.

As a general film? Good.
    But as a Pixar film?
    Disappointing.
  44. Sep 14, 2013
    Its a pretty godamn good movie that's fun for the whole family, while not as good as the first and not as emotionally heart throbbing, monsters University manages to be something different and yet comfortably at home in a good way, 8/10
  45. Jun 28, 2013
    Another film to add to Pixar's classics. I enjoyed it even more than the original. While there is no Boo to make the film sentimental, the film's messages are poignant enough without her. Highly recommended.
  46. Jun 27, 2013
    Monsters university is a fantastic movie, and a really great prequel to the original, monsters inc, which was released 12 years ago. im not going to blow the plot, ill leave that to you, the viewer. however what i can say, is that this movie is one of those movies that just gets everything right. characters, animation, atmosphere, music, story,everything this movie does is top notch, and fits perfectly to coincide with monsters inc, it doesnt add or take away anything crucial from its predecessor. the movie also has alot of great messages, that not only work for kids, but also for older viewers as well, and the main message of the movie is suprisingly realistic, rather that just an obvious message in a perfect world, that youll see when you watch the movie. its also good to note that the movie looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, especially in 3d, and the voice acting is top notch, with billy crystal and john goodman as mike and sully gicing fantastic performances. the jokes are very funny as well. the movie also has alot of ups and downs that i feel are well executed, as well as parts that really tug at the heartstrings. I grew up with monsters inc as a kid, and seeing as this will be my first year of college, it makes this movie even more special, and that was the targeted audience for this movie. similair to how toy story 3 was released for the kids of its generation, that are now grown up and going away to school, so was this one. this is the best pixar movie ive seen in a while, and i highly reccomend it to any kids, or teens that grew up with the first movie. it really is a special movie, and its one of the best pixar movies ive seen in a while. Expand
  47. Jul 19, 2013
    well written script with decent animations and full of humor .So hard to guess the story even in a an animation movie so curiosity there till the end.This the best animation movie after the croods in 2013
  48. Jun 23, 2013
    It was a lot of set up in the beginning, so the story seemed to lag. Didn't really pull me in until close to the end. My kids seemed bored with most of the movie, except for bits here and there.
  49. Jul 18, 2013
    Perfunctory. While entertaining and fast-paced, Monsters University lacks originality and genuine emotion. Toy Story 3 feels like it was ages ago now.
  50. Jul 3, 2013
    If this came from any other animation studio I would have said this was a perfectly serviceable comedy, with a touch of a deeper meaning. But this is from Pixar, and I start with such high expectations. Pixar has brought us to some wonderful places, the hidden worlds of toys, ants, fish, even rats. Imaginative places like Monstropolis, Earth 700 years in the future, Radiator Springs, and a floating house. In this movie we went to college, without anything wondrous or imaginative revealed. I really hope Pixar can return to the gems it created for so many years, otherwise I will not be rushing to see their movies in the theaters. Expand
  51. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an old school frat movie (monsters Inc style.) True, it follows every cliche in the book, with the Monsters spin they all feel fresh and fun to watch again.

The animation is top notch and all the central characters are done really well. But, I do feel that they threw in too many side characters that looked really interesting, yet never really touched upon. They're either purely
    decorative or plot devices. A shame.

To be honest, I didn't think Monsters University was as funny as the first movie, BUT, it had allot more depth and Mike & Sullivan's character are given some really great and moving scenes that Crystal and Goodman do very well.

Overall:
    While Monsters University isn't the the same as the first movie, it is just as good. It's both deep and light hearted. A fun movie that perhaps could have used a few more laughs. Still, a great movie worth watching.
  52. Jun 21, 2013
    Monsters University is great, of course the first one is better, but this has all the good elements the sequel has. Its funny, has a very entertaining story, deep relationship between Mike and Sully, and of course, lots of amazing designed monsters.
  53. Jul 10, 2013
    Wow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared the same heart as the first Monster's movie and it was as cute, funny, and endearing as the first one. I really liked that they did not use the movie as an opportunity to parody college, but instead painted an interesting back story using it as the setting for the Monsters. All in all, great fun. I will add that I would give the first movie a 10, too, so that's where this 10 is coming from as well a fan of the first. If you haven't seen it, don't worry, you don't need to, but if you DID see the first and you didn't like it, you probably won't like this one. Expand
  54. Jul 12, 2013
    I was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watching how Mike & Sully meet and the prequel idea worked very well despite me having doubts. A lot of it is fun for the kids but big kids at heart like myself will still certainly enjoy it, especially fans of the first film. Overall a big thumbs up! Expand
  55. Jul 1, 2013
    This movies is so freaking good! It starts kind of slow but then it engages you until the end and it really does an excellent job. I am 20 and i was laughing like a child at the theatre, mainly because the connection to the previous movie. Totally recommended.
  56. Jul 6, 2013
    An almost return to form for Pixar after the disaster known as Cars 2. While MU isn't the best pixar movie, and most likely due to the lack of Boo, it provides solid, cute entertainment.
  57. Jul 2, 2013
    I loved the original and thought that this one was almost as good, and it's a great family movie. The only problem I had was that some of the plot points were ruined as I knew what was going to happen because it was a prequel.
  58. Jul 11, 2013
    Monster's University is a fine movie, especially for young kids. This movie is more of a prequel, focusing on how Mike and Sully met. It's been 12 years, after all, since we've seen Pixar's favorite one eyed and turquoise monster's. If you have kids, take them to see this movie. It has witty jokes and good lessons for lessons. But if you're expecting another Monster's Inc., you might find yourself disappointed. The plot isn't as rich as Monster's Inc. was in 2001, and the theme doesn't transcend as much to adults. Many have said that Pixar's golden age has passed. Personally, I don't believe that we can't see another great movie from John Lasseter, but with recent movies like Cars 2 and Brave, the bar has not been hit. Also, many of the other animation studios have caught up to Pixar. Sony Pictures is creating another Smurfs movie, Fox animation has Rio, and Dreamworks has a couple of strong franchises like Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar. Pixar really has to hit the right nail with Finding Dory. Expand
  59. Jun 30, 2013
    Funny and whimsical, Monsters University is exactly in line with its' predecessor, a feat many sequels ever achieve. The movie is an old-fashioned family treat that only Pixar can put together. Great animation, great comedy and screenplay, and solid messages on friendship and learning from our failures in life make this another perfectly solid Pixar effort.

Now, it is surprisingly
    light on emotional moments, which made movies like Up, WALL-E and Brave a bit better than this. And the films' brief college parties may require the need for discussion. But this is yet another well-crafted animated movie the whole family can see.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
  60. Jun 30, 2013
    I remember seeing "Monsters Inc" as a kid, and how it kept me and even my parents bringing it up every now and then. "Monsters University" is beyond what you hoped for. It's funny and entertaining from start to finish, and as nostalgic as can be. To see how the characters we know and love (or hate, huh, Randall?) from the original "Monsters Inc" all met each other or how they got to where they are. Although it is not as emotionally touching as "Monsters Inc", and I personally think the movie is a bit too focussed around Mike rather than the duo, it is definately one of Pixar's best. Expand
  61. Jul 20, 2013
    This movie makes me happy....but in all seriousness this movie is great. It does suffer from some unnessary references to the original and it can get very cliche at times. MU is a very enjoyable film.
  62. Aug 20, 2013
    The movie started off OK but towards the end, it got progressively boring.
  63. Jul 11, 2013
    I had really low expectations for this movie, because i thought they were going to ruin it, just like they did with "Cars". But i'm extremely impressed by "Monsters University"! I never thought i was going to say that, because i had low expectations but this one is even better than the original "Monsters Inc"! I watched it twice in the theaters and can't wait for it's release on dvd and blu-ray. My score is 8/10 Expand
  64. Aug 30, 2013
    Its good to see how it all began before Sullivan and Mike went to Monsters Inc. The jokes were spot on, and the animation was fantastic, but i somehow lacked connection with the main characters. Also, if you didn't watch the first movie, DON'T WATCH THIS ONE YET. This movie will be much more enjoyable if you see the Inc. one first, and then the prequel.
  65. Jun 26, 2013
    80% of the time, this movie tends to bring back what i loved most from "Monsters Inc". I was really surprised to have loved this movie more than i thought she would. I mean, after "Cars 2" and "Brave" I was afraid that Pixar was starting to loose it. And when i heard that they were making a prequel to one of the best Pixar movies ever, I really started loosing hope. But it turns out, i really loved it. It's not exactly the typical Pixar gold, but it's starting to head back on the right track. There are some things that make this movie lack, like some of the characters, but then there are those such as Mike and Sulley, and some other characters that really help make this movie great. I love how it tries to go back to some of the emotional appeal that most of the Pixar movies have had in the past. Sadly, it doesn't always work out (in a sense). But it still manages to go back to its old ways, which is what I love that this movie tries to accomplish. Overall, it's starting to get back to its original Pixar ways. Expand
  66. Sep 22, 2013
    I loved Monsters Inc. when I was a kid and I definitely liked Monsters University too, great production even if I didn't like the story very much. Overall a good throwback to the old days.
  67. Jun 24, 2013
    Pixar have redeemed themselves after cars 2 and brave with Monsters Uni, even though it was a prequel that felt a bit unnecessary really we want a sequel to the incredibles) it was a solid effort that reminds people that Pixar still have some form of movie magic although clearly nowhere close to the magic of Toy Story 3
  68. Aug 22, 2013
    A great prequel to a movie that received its fair share of fame when it was first released, but has since really fallen to the wayside. I was delighted to hear this movie was in the mix though a bit skeptical about the plot that had been chosen. Would the movie have a strong enough draw without the adorable "Boo" to ground the antics in a aura of reality? The answer is yes, it does have enough draw. While a kind of 80's comedy flair may be over the heads of most children it gives adults plenty of reason to watch it as well and enjoy many of the subtle jokes that abound in regards to classic films like "Back to School" and "Revenge of the Nerds". A great overall prequel that has both heart and comedy. Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2013
    Much better than "Despicable Me", right now it's probably the best animation of 2013! Reasonably funny, nice setting, it also has a great and satisfying conclusion! One of the best Pixar picture
  70. Jul 6, 2013
    This movie is great.I really like the college setting.The story is great,the characters are entertaining and the perfect prequel to Monsters Inc.,but I think it's better than Monsters Inc.
  71. Jan 6, 2014
    If my bias for this beloved series prevailed, I would without a doubt given Monster's University a 10/10. I have loved Monster's Inc. seeing it for the first time when I was five and continue to love it now a teenager preparing for college. Speaking of my age, Pixar nailed the timing of this movie. Many viewers who saw Monster's Inc. when around 4-8 when it was aired in theaters (around 12 years ago from this film) are about to enter or already are in college. The themes of the exciting opportunities that await in the transition into a young adult are present throughout the film, and are relevant to many teens who might be anxious or possibly afraid of their future. Better yet, Mike Wazowski doesn't end up being the scarer he's always dreamed of, but his experience at college opens up a new door he didn't expect would be as satisfying. It's a satisfying conclusion for those who may not be getting everything they desire in life. The only glaring issue with MU is it's predictable, being a prequel. However, there is a twist near the end that does change the tides a little bit. A majority of the characters are excellent, especially the members of Oozma Kappa, although Randal's transition from a friendly roommate to competitive antagonist is too quick. I wish Pixar worked a little harder on Randal's character. Additionally, the plot is not oscar winning and may not be as emotionally gripping without Boo, but the animation is stellar and perhaps the best I've seen in a pixar movie. There is a high attention of detail in the bustling University campus giving incentive rewatch the movie to notice small details such as Randal's "The Winds of Change" poster. Speaking of that, there are tons of Monster's Inc. references that fans will eat up. Monster's University is a great movie, but may feel a little run-of-the-mill if you are not a fan of the series, however it is still a great animation. Expand
  72. Sep 1, 2013
    M.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this is because they were to cliche. with the exception of the old man, i don't know but i liked him. Why, oh why are pixar so good at making me emotional unlike any other film. I love pixar. Expand
  73. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monsters university was an interesting idea at first, to know about the origins of the monster world, and to just see more from these characters that we loved back in the day. after seeing this movie, I'd rather go on not seeing this. A highly negative sounding comment sure, but this is nothing to be shunned or hated, this is just not that great. You would think that anything Pixar made would be not amazing, but recently they have been losing their edge in the long lasting joy that their previous films had. Now about the movie, it starts off pretty normally with the reason why Mike would want to be in the scarring business. Now that I think about it, what else is there to do in their world? Does everyone have to be a part of the scarring world? I do remember that there was one monster that had a fruit stand, but that's it. Anyways, the rest is just cuteness in my opinion. That's the level of sophistication in this movie: not all the intelligent, but still good. The other main character Sully is completely different from his previous alliteration; for best in my opinion, because it's great to see change from before to present. Which is also a problem for me, they do it good with Sully, but Mike is the same from the first movie, and I didn't like him all too much from that last film. The only other character they show again is Randell, and it's a little funny what they do with him; him being a nerd and friendly, but they never really show that event that really turned him into the jerk he was in the last film. The cast is pretty neutral, they don't leave any impressions, but they're also enjoyable during the time I watched them. The funny moments really were the moments where they showed little easter eggs from the first movie, but that's it. My last thing I'll talk about ii where Mike finds out he can't be a scarer is too harsh. So it turns out he goes to the human world to try and show that he really does have what it takes, it's so mean spirited that he does all the work needed to and has all the dedication, and still cannot be what he always wanted to be is pretty cruel. I know the message was that we all have a special place in society, but that message is kinda not that great. Overall this is an okay movie; showing the development of at least the character I liked most, but not really doing anything that'll have a lasting appeal is so out of place for Disney. Expand
  74. Jul 24, 2013
    "Monsters University" me gusto mucho, tuvo muchos momentos graciosos y mucha diversion, lo que me gusto es que esta precuela es como que conservo el mismo carisma que su antecesora.
  75. Jun 22, 2013
    Kudos to Pixar for a very solid outing in putting out a prequel that can be enjoyed by children and adults! The lessons taught in this movie are good for children and the laughter to be had is suitable for adults yet kid friendly. Hope they do a sequel now!
  76. Jun 28, 2013
    I took my kiddos to see Monsters University this weekend and they absolutely loved it. For me, I wasn't a huge fan of Monsters Inc and this movie is much of the same as that movie. It's just an "ok" movie and I wasn't nearly as excited for this movie as I am for Despicable Me 2 or Turbo. The story is decent with a very good message of defy expectations and be who you want to be.

Monsters University seemed to miss some really good opportunities at comedy and isn't the type of movie that the adults are going to talk about after seeing. I love Billy Crystal and Mike is by far my favorite of the film but Monsters University never really gets going in terms of "great" It is better than both of the Cars movies, which I cannot stand, but not on the same level as Toy Story or Incredibles. The Scare Games which become the focal point of Sully and Mike's adventure are a lot of fun and will make a great video game on the Wii U.

This movie could've come straight to DVD and I think it would've done well. I think that is where I believed this movie should've ended up on, straight to DVD along with Lion King 2 and Little Mermaid 2. Both of my kids loved it and if you have children this is a good trip to the movies, however, with so many family films looming my recommendation is unless you truly LOVED Monsters Inc, wait for a different family movie to burn your money on.

I notice a lot of people on here hated Brave, however I loved that movie and found it a great and imaginative Pixar story. Brave was better than this movie.
  77. Aug 16, 2013
    Very entertaining film, packed with great jokes and humor, a very satisfying prequel. The plot was interesting and had some great characters, not leaving you bored at all. Highly recommended
  78. Sep 9, 2013
    This is probably my favorite Pixar movie ever. It was so funny. My sisters and I really enjoyed it. It gave me an idea of what college is really like. It made me want to see the first movie again.
  79. Jul 2, 2013
    I don't see why there is so much hate for this movie. I'll admit it's not Pixar's best film, but it's definitely not it's worst. I enjoyed all of the references it made to the first film, some are hidden, so look out for those. This movie had a lot more action than I expected. It also had it's fair share of comedic moments, but not as much as I expected. This movie introduces a whole plethora of new characters with spectacular actors to do the voices such as Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscrabble, Nathan Fillion as Johnny Worthington, and my personal favorite, Charlie Day's character, Art. Don't listen to the critics, this movie is still filled with loads of Pixar-y goodness that any fan of animated films will enjoy. Expand
  80. Jun 22, 2013
    "Monsters University" is way too better than latest Pixar movies (Brave, Cars 2) this movie is still funny, entertaining and full of heart, but it isn't big as the first one which is a classic, still Monsters University is really good and worth the watch and wait.
  81. Jul 13, 2013
    This doesn't nearly deliver as much nostalgia as we'd expect from the great PIXAR, but is certainly a step in the right direction, and definitely provides an entertaining and humorous experience.
  82. Jun 23, 2013
    It is the best movie I've ever seen. The graphics were really awesome and I was crying at the end. The third act is also very interesting but I don't want to spoil anything. It is simply the best movie I've ever seen.
  83. Jun 30, 2013
    June 23, 2013

'World War Z' is a fast-paced, exciting thriller, which blends the horror, action, and science-fiction genres generally well. Brad Pitt gives a decent performance as Gerry Lane, but the film fails to create a real connection between the viewer and Pitt's family. 'WWZ' ends up being an above average film, which provides a nice new look at an oft-visited idea.
  84. Jun 28, 2013
    An amazing follow up to the classic Monsters Inc that will leave you wanting more! The soundtrack is great! And the story line is awesome. No matter your age, you will love this movie!
  85. Jun 30, 2013
    This felt like more of a cash grab then an actual movie. The message for kids was rather lame. Certainly not in the league of Up! Or Brave. It wasn't really bad, just meh.
  86. Jul 2, 2013
    Monsters University was a joy to watch. Equally entertaining and stunningly animated. I do however feel it didn't quite live up to Pixar's esteemed lineage of films with the ability to captivate equally- young children, teenagers and adults. As a final year university student- the antics of Mike and Sully reminded me of great experiences i'd had and some I wish I'd had. Many younger children in the theatre however began to lose interest as the story developed.

Overal another incredible film by the titan of animation studios that is Pixar which unfortunately did not live up to its predecessors.
  87. Jul 15, 2013
    Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite childhood movies. Now there's prequel for it, but does it still have the things that we loved from the first movie? The first movie made me laugh for a lot of times, but in these prequel the the jokes weren't funny at all. The movie lacked fresh jokes which is a bummer, considering that the first movie was damn funny. A lot of characters were not explored, which I guess that they wanted to focus more on Mike and Sully, but it would have been really nice for us to know more about those other characters. For me, the story kinda felt a bit cliche, there was nothing new or fresh, which is another letdown because this is a prequel or an origin story that should show something new to the fans. I still had a lot of fun watching these movie and it had some nice throwback scenes from the first movie. I am going to give Monsters University an 8/10. Expand
  88. Jul 4, 2013
    While the only thing that stops it from becoming a masterpiece is the fact that it is a prequel (which almost every prequel suffers with), "Monsters University" is a true delight. With a hilarious tale with emotion put into it, "Monsters University" uses the wit of its world to create a delightful and hilarious origin for the original Pixar film, "Monsters Inc.".
    The first act, which
    starts out well, shows the story of Mike Wazowski, and it is done quite well. The writers in the film did a wonderful job displaying the perfect explanation of college life and it gives a bunch of laughs to any person who has dealt with the difficult life in college. While the first act turns into the second act, it can slightly edge towards a more kid-friendly idea. The second act, which features the "Scare Games", may be predictable, as it deals with underdogs coming to the top, but its use of its world puts depth into each round if the competition. As the movie takes a surprisingly twist to the third act, the movie enters to an dark and deep climax that clicks with the message, and makes this movie stronger and deeper in emotions. The ending will lead towards the beginning of "Monsters Inc.", which I truly enjoyed, knowing that I could watch the movie right after. Overall, the first act and the third act are more powerful towards the message in the movie (I won't spoil it to readers who haven't watched the movie yet), and in my case, are the more powerful parts to this film. The second act is fun and enjoyable, but it lacks the Pixar quality compared to the brilliant parts that come with the first and third act. To some what sum the message in the movie, it is one that many kid movies wouldn't even think of telling, and once again proves that Pixar is at the top of the animated class. While "Monsters University" has a not too deep and a predictable second act, it is still a wonderful, hilarious, and beautifully animated film, as the first and third act strengthened it.
    While although the score doesn't seem high on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, I am concerned due to the fact that this movie isn't as bad as it was rated from several critics, and when reading several reviews, it leads me to believe that several critics judge the film to what they wanted to see, and not whats there. The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't judge films based on their studio's streak, and you should judge from what's there. If you can enjoy "Monsters University" for what it is and not how good it is compared to other Pixar classics, you are almost guaranteed to have a wonderful and enjoyable time.
  89. Jul 18, 2013
    As A Film On It's Own It's Marvelous But Being A Sequel To One Of The Best Pixar Movies Ever It's Decent The Animation Is Good, The Story Is Hit, Miss, The Characters The Main Ones Are Unforgettable Except For Randall He Isn't In The Movie Much The Supporting On The Other Hand I Forgot Like 90% Of Them But it's Still Good Even With Those Flaws
  90. Jul 6, 2013
    Even with the G rating, Monster University is enjoyable for all ages. This film features strong plot, unique character, nice characters development and also some gleeful humor. even this film is not as thrilling as Monster Inc, this film is this year must see film.
  91. Jul 9, 2013
    Going into this movie, I thought it would be extremely underwhelming, mainly because of it main setting. However, I found myself enjoying it very much. It may not be as timeless as its predecessor, but M.U. holds its own with its enjoyable characters, great animation and fun humor.
  92. Jul 10, 2013
    It may not achieve the quality level of the first one, but 'Monsters University' still have the soul that resides on it's charismatic characters and it's Pixar's best film since 'Toy Story 3'.
  93. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After more then a decade a second instalment of Monster Inc comes in the form of a prequel of when Mike and Sully first meet at college. One of the strongest Pixar films for a while in my opinion. With Cars 2 and Brave less then impressive. The story keeps you hooked and although the pace was a bit slow in the last stretch it was still very well written. Expand
  94. Jul 11, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    I don’t know why, but I felt powerfully attached to Monsters University. It may be because Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite Pixar movies of all time. It may also be because I am currently around the age of our protagonists, so I can attest to their struggles. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s because Mike Wazowski
    and James Sullivan are the best frenemies to hit the big screen since Pixar’s older Woody and Buzz.
    Mike Wazowski is determined, but at a disadvantage, since he isn’t scary. James Sullivan is laidback, but at an advantage, since he’s scary as hell (he’s also legacy, but I’d rather not rant about legacy kids on a film critique). So why is the banter between these polar opposites so amusing to children and adults alike? It’s because they’re both a little obnoxious. They’ve got enough sour taste in each other to animate the screen almost as well as the crisp-clear animation software used to make the film (which is seriously praiseworthy).
    Technique-wise, the film rarely fails. Sure, the plotline may be a little formulaic and linear, but the plot twists are just enough to keep both the story and the character development moving. Even near the end of the film, you’ll find some sappy emotion we’ve come to expect from Pixar.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Monsters University is not only the best and most charismatic animated film of the year thus far; it is also a testament to Pixar’s glory years and a sign that maybe Cars 2 and Brave were just a depressing phase that Pixar is hopefully passing. (I’d also like to laud Helen Mirren’s character, Dean Hardscrabble. She is one tough cookie you’ll both enjoy and fear watching)

FINAL SCORE: 85 (excitingly great ----------o---------- almost perfect)
  95. Jul 22, 2013
    Pixar films traditionally have that indescribable touch to them that always keeps you watching and Monsters University maintains that touch. I really felt the characters come alive, both metaphysically and visually. The personalities and emotions are well portrayed and the visuals were simply astounding. It was also very interesting to see how they developed the characters and explained a little behind Mike and Sully's friendship. Monsters University also features lots of a great slapstick humor to keep you laughing for days and as always, it is endearing to all age groups which is of course another hallmark of Pixar.

The Pixar touch aside, I did find the plot disappointing. It felt incredibly stock a standard tale that has been heard a thousand times before. Sure, it had a few unexpected twists and turns but even despite them, you could often guess the next five minutes at any given point in the movie. Pixar is better than this. They invented the wild crazy world of Toy Story where the plots were as unpredictable the next new character. They produced The Incredibles which finally gave us some superhumans to talk about other than our beloved mid twentieth century comic book heroes. They gave us Up, WALL-E, and Finding Nemo. All great stories that kept you wondering what happened next. Monsters University on the other hand...like I said. You could forecast ahead more than was acceptable. Boring! Still for what its worth, it was enjoyable. Not Pixar's best but certainly not their worst either.
  96. Jul 18, 2013
    While the film is not as good as the first, this film still has hilarious moments and creative ones as the first film did. The film is full of heart. Bless Pixar's heart, they did it again- they got me involved emotionally.
  97. Jan 22, 2014
    The best Disney movie I've seen in my whole life. That's actually better than Monsters, Inc. and all of this bulls*** released by Disney nowadays. Watch it now!
  98. Jul 15, 2013
    Full of moral lessons. Great sequel movie. I love it.
    Very different from the first movie. Appreciate much that they focused on Mike this time :D
    Monster's University Rocks!!!!
  99. Jul 17, 2013
    I went to see this with my 8 year old.He enjoyed it but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to Pixar films these days.No 3D for me and I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for it.the film is pretty funny in parts and the scare games was the funniest part in it.It just lacks something like the old Pixar films used to have. Can't put finger on it.The first Monsters Inc is still funnier than this one but not a bad attempt by Pixar anyway. Well done guys. Expand
  100. Jul 21, 2013
    Pixar's creativity seems endless, but definitively they can do it even better.
    Story, characters, rhythm, lots of color and fun: I think is a great combo!

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jul 12, 2013
    Pixar falls back on the tried and tested in an entertaining caper that will be a surefire kid pleaser this summer. Old favourites are always welcome, but it would have been nice to see some more new ideas too.
  2. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Jul 12, 2013
    While Monsters University can’t claim outright originality, this is a far richer movie than most were expecting.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jul 12, 2013
    The animation is photoreal – startlingly and mesmerisingly so. And the depth of feeling the tale of their friendship evokes is matched only by your incredulity, as you paw at your eyes six minutes later, that you are crying about two computer-generated umbrellas.