Monsters vs Aliens

6.9

1. GavinC.
    Oct 11, 2009
    Although occasionally coming up with a spark of enjoyment, M vs A's plot is bland and the laughs it inspires are almost always forced.
  2. lucas
    Apr 3, 2009
    It's like a Pixar feature, witout the clever writing, memorable characters, skillful action sequences, memorable voice talent, or the sense of awe.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Occasionally funny at times, but ultimately "Monsters vs. Aliens" is your average road-to-hero Dream works animation movie.
  4. Feb 15, 2011
    This movie is good for kids, but adults will be bored, the plot isn't all that great and the characters are ok, but there perfectly good for a kids movie, all in all I would recommend this for a rental, but don't expect much of a reason to watch it again.
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    Look, the sizing was all wrong. She was the same size in the hall before and after she got the quatonium got extracted. Other than that is was good.
  6. Sep 3, 2011
    This movie is both pathetic and worn out. It manages to writhe a few laughs out of me, but they're all sporadic and spontaneous, as if the movie had to go entirely out of its way to make me laugh--which is what it was doing. An overall bland experience, this movie felt like chewing a sweaty sock. It's surprising and slightly intriguing in the beginning half, but it maintains itsThis movie is both pathetic and worn out. It manages to writhe a few laughs out of me, but they're all sporadic and spontaneous, as if the movie had to go entirely out of its way to make me laugh--which is what it was doing. An overall bland experience, this movie felt like chewing a sweaty sock. It's surprising and slightly intriguing in the beginning half, but it maintains its distastefulness throughout its entirety. Expand
  7. Apr 14, 2013
    Sadly, I expected this movie to be better than it was. It tends to have it's ups and downs. I mean, at times it was funny, then other times it was just plain stupid. Sometimes the storyline its self just didn't seem to work together. It (at times) goes in different directions. Even though the movie is short, its just lopsided. In terms of the characters, they didn't really interest me,Sadly, I expected this movie to be better than it was. It tends to have it's ups and downs. I mean, at times it was funny, then other times it was just plain stupid. Sometimes the storyline its self just didn't seem to work together. It (at times) goes in different directions. Even though the movie is short, its just lopsided. In terms of the characters, they didn't really interest me, especially B.O.B. Seth Rogen could have done better, like when he played Mort in "Horton Hears A Who." Aside from the negativity, there was some really good animation, especially in the action sequences. That's what really saves the movie. Overall, aside the animation and its ocassional decent humor, its just a slow-paced antimated movie strictly for kids. Expand
  8. Oct 18, 2010
    wow. its like they knew Dreamworks Animation is gonna keep on making some good movies. they, on the other hand, made this one and thank god it didn't sucked just like Shark Tale and Bee Movie did. so, what about it? well, it wasn't the best and it wasn't perfect, but it had enough humor and special effects to impress kids and their families while watching this CGI treat.
  9. Dec 2, 2011
    Monsters vs Aliens is a great cross between The Incredibles and Monsters Inc. Even if the jokes are occasionally weird, you can have a lot of fun with this computer-animated film.
  10. Apr 6, 2013
    Monsters vs. Aliens is definitely one of if not the weakest film to come out of DreamWorks. But it does have some charm, decent characters, and a decent message that make it watchable. If you have kids take this movie to them because they will probably like it ok. However, if you are looking for a great animated film this is not it. While the film is not terrible, there is spectacular inMonsters vs. Aliens is definitely one of if not the weakest film to come out of DreamWorks. But it does have some charm, decent characters, and a decent message that make it watchable. If you have kids take this movie to them because they will probably like it ok. However, if you are looking for a great animated film this is not it. While the film is not terrible, there is spectacular in it either. Not missing out on anything by sitting this one out I know I don’t feel like I missed anything by not seeing it in theaters. That being said if you have kids and your looking for something to rent on Netflix that’s fun and safe for the kids and something you can stomach ok this ones not a bad rent. It’s a cute movie that I saw once and will probably never see again. Expand
  11. MichaelK.
    Mar 28, 2009
    Tiresome display of elementary knowledge of old SF movies, with a script which doesn't make sense. I saw it in 2-D. According to some reviewers, it looks better in 2-D than 3-D.
  12. ChadS.
    Mar 28, 2009
    "So how's the weather up there?" Thanks to a little divine intervention, Susan(Reese Witherspoon) knows. There's no need for the exponentially growing bride to ask her weatherman fiance anymore. "Girl power" takes the form of extreme gigantism in "Monsters vs. Aliens", an animated sci-fi actioneer that seems largely unaware about the fundamental problem of its basic premise. "So how's the weather up there?" Thanks to a little divine intervention, Susan(Reese Witherspoon) knows. There's no need for the exponentially growing bride to ask her weatherman fiance anymore. "Girl power" takes the form of extreme gigantism in "Monsters vs. Aliens", an animated sci-fi actioneer that seems largely unaware about the fundamental problem of its basic premise. While the unwieldy spurt in growth at the outset helps Susan redefine herself as an independent-minded woman, who is too big for Derek(Paul Rudd), and too big for Fresno(as the film states, only the fifty-fith largest news market in America), the accidental superhero's colossalism will ultimately handicap the jilted bride in the long run. After losing her quantonium during the alien invasion, fighting on the monsters' side, she declares, "I don't want my old life back," and recovers her quantonium, and most likely, her self-esteem. The film's message of female empowerment gets lost in semantics since Susan battles Gallaxhar(Rainn Wilson) as a monster, as Ginormica, instead of as a mere woman. Susan's mutant friends, previously scorned by the human sector for their otherness, enact a change in the connotation behind the term "monster", when they're hailed as conquering heroes for turning back the plot against earth. But at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, Susan is still the "other", not a woman, an evolved woman, a monster. She's something that men fear, not respect. Derek should respect Susan. Expand
  13. HectorA
    Apr 8, 2009
    We saw it in 2-D. My young daughter liked it, and my friend liked it, and I thought the cinematics were great, but many of the jokes and punchlines were cliche, flat or predictable. This is a movie I enjoyed taking my daughter to, and I did enjoy the visuals, but I wouldn't care to sit through this movie again.
  14. EssiS.
    Apr 9, 2009
    3D was awesome and the I liked the voice cast, but the script wasn't very good and it was a little bit boring. No point in seeing this anywhere else than in 3D cinemas.
  15. MP
    Apr 14, 2009
    The humor in the movie feels guilty, as the parody of the monsters and aliens is not where the humor comes from; it's from innuendo and other crude antics. But then again, I wasn't disappointed with it. It was exactly what I expected from Dreamworks.
  16. EvinC
    Aug 12, 2009
    Boring but Seth Rogen's two whole lines are funny.
  17. JT
    Oct 3, 2009
    With such a funny cast, it's surprising that the laughs in this film are minimal. I doubt even children would enjoy this movie.
  18. Jul 4, 2013
    Despite my likings to "Monsters vs. Aliens", I can only truly give the film its score for what it is. While the action does shine in the film (Golden Gate Bridge, as an example), the story is not too bad as well. The story isn't great though, and it feels like a conventional super-hero like approach, with just alot of characters being slabbed onto the screen to fight. The film is a bitDespite my likings to "Monsters vs. Aliens", I can only truly give the film its score for what it is. While the action does shine in the film (Golden Gate Bridge, as an example), the story is not too bad as well. The story isn't great though, and it feels like a conventional super-hero like approach, with just alot of characters being slabbed onto the screen to fight. The film is a bit familiar, but has enough diversity to be called original. Expand
  19. Nov 16, 2013
    Monster Vs Aliens Vs Entertainment Value.
    The movie attempts many things at once but does a careful job in not biting off more than it can chew. The story is decent, and the characters all get enough screen time to develop their own persona. The entertainment value for kids will be high and for adults will be sheer boredom.
  20. Feb 16, 2014
    Monsters vs. Aliens isn't the best of kids movies. I could go into the flaws with the story, the characters, and the dialogue, but I know that kids don't care about that kind of stuff. It's almost always about the eye candy, and this movie has it. Adults will be bored by this flick, but younger viewers will like it.
  21. Jul 23, 2014
    An average kids movie, nothing more. The nonsensical plot is dull and by the end of the movie becomes unfunny. Dreamworks ultimately fails to match up to Pixar. The movie is formulaic, and, like I said already, is just an average hero kids movie. The characters are interesting, but there is no real chemistry between them. Good for kids, not for adults.
  22. Oct 13, 2014
    It's nothing special or new, but I have to admit a lot of the fight scenes are badass. The character designs are appealing to look at, although the story is the weakest part as it doesn't feel strong enough for the whole film.
  23. Dec 8, 2015
    You choose if you want me in animated film from Pixar and DreamWorks monsters , because I stay with Pixar , because Monsters vs. Aliens, had good characters , good plot , but absurdly script of boring , because that term does not leave me , but not impossible to see me leave this review .

1. There is a nice mix of action with tender moments -- especially among the misfit monsters
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A film of chuckles, smiles and light amusement rather than big laughs, galvanizing excitement and original invention.
    The grandeur of the effects--the honest-to-God spectacle of the thing--elevates Monsters vs. Aliens to something approaching art. It's not a masterpiece, but it's most certainly a milestone.