6.8

1. Apr 7, 2011
    Okay so I know it was low budget.... but boy, was it boring. Extremely anticlimatic... Don't know how else to describe this movie with 250 words but I certainly felt like I wasted my time watching it... Just sayin'...

If you like predictable and uneventful story-telling, this is your movie of the year... and this is even without mentioning the CGI they should have left out.

.. pros? Good
    camera work and the setting/idea of the Mexican quarantine zone is great (until you see the poorly designed monsters.) Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2010
    Time and time again I see pure dribble rated greatly by the critics. I cant help but wonder if this is simply PR as John Q will see it to raise their pretige level at the watercooler. Yes I get the titles true vibe, still who doesnt want some decent monsters, I was wishing the two leads would get eaten or godzilla showed up and took everyone out. This is slow overated crap. Just like Hurtlocker and Inception. I cant help but feel thiers alot of critics getting free pens & steak dinner coupons to pitch these movies, since they completely and utterly stink. Expand
  3. Jan 23, 2011
    One of those films where nothing happens, in my opinion a waste of time and effort, there is a story but it's so slow that you can predict the ending and just want it to come faster than it does. Watch it at 2x the speed and you might find it a better film.
  4. Apr 2, 2011
    Without any doubt, this is the most boring movie I have ever seen, and I've seen Tron: Legacy. I have not seen Skyline or Battle: Los Angeles yet, but if this unwatchable piece of crap got a 63, watching those movies must be like clawing your eyes out. Seriously, a 63? I don't know how long I sat watching this movie, but it seemed like about 14 hours, and no monsters. If there was anything the awful people being played by awful actors needed, it was to be eaten, or at least mauled by, you guessed it, monsters. Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of good sci-fi (which doesn't necessarily mean action based sci-fi); first thing needed is a good plot, period! Well, need I say more about this movie? It's like watching paint drying... One doesn't even slightly care for the characters, the sight of some mega flying octopus howling like a cow in labour pains is hilarious (Skyline was bad too, but at least the special effects were decent); waste of time and patience.. Expand
  6. Feb 6, 2011
    Very boring and slow!! Good camera work though. I hate how all of these types of movies get all the hype by the critics. They are so boring! To me a movie is meant to entertain me. Why are all of these indie films the same. It's like they have to be slow and boring in order for the critics to like them. If it has too much action then they think it is unrealistic. It's a movie it's not suppose to be real. Anyways this movie is your typical indie fest! Well made but boring as all hell!!!!!!!! Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2011
    I would've hated to be the one to tell director Gareth Edwards that his two leads and television actors, Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able, were just that: television actors. Too bad. With real actors and real chemistry, this movie would've been the sleeper hit of a thin flock. Fire that casting director for suggesting attempting to advance these rookies.
  8. Nov 27, 2011
    The only good thing I can say about this film is that it looks pretty. However if I wanted to look at something that looks good I might as well look up Jason Statham. There is virtually no plot, the cover of the film is completely misleading, i.e. NOTHING HAPPENS, at all. I dont understand its appeal what so ever, and it could of actually been good, probably. The most boring film I have ever watched Expand
  9. Apr 21, 2013
    When you build a wall you mount it with troops. Can someone explain to me why did the US build a HUGE wall and then abandon it? Yes, it doesn't make any sense. Oh, i don't need to mention huge GAPS in the wall which allow these monsters to go through. And where the HELL is the army?! They should be all around the place protecting?! the rest of the US.
    Ridiculous.
    Oh yeah, and then the
    movie ends, just like that. Expand
  10. May 31, 2014
    Boring, boring, boring with so many geographical errors and plot holes. Nothing happens in this movie. While it is impressive the way this movie was made, the result is nothing but a boring movie where nothing really happens.
  11. Aug 29, 2013
    I am seriously and utterly confused by all the positive reviews. Yes, it's impressive what was done with the budget, but that is all. This movie contains the worst acting I have ever seen. You could take two random people off the street and have more chemistry than the only two actors in this film, and yet you have to watch them fumble through the whole movie. It only exacerbates the problem that the story is boring to begin with. I've never met a person in real life who didn't think it was some of the worst acting they had ever seen, yet online people praise them... I find this to be very fishy. Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this film with completely the wrong expectations based on the title, packaging and marketing for this film. It doesn't really need the aliens at all, its just a road trip movie with a couple that fall for eachother, then they see two space octopus and the film ends.

The movie built up tension in various scenes but each one failed to deliver, I spent the entire movie thinking somethings going to happen... no.. now somethings going to happen... no... now surely somethings going to happen.. nope. I get that the monsters aren't the aliens, but thats pretty much the only thing you take away from this movie, unless you like cinematic shots of abandoned buildings.

1. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Dec 13, 2010
    The only thing remotely scary about Monsters is that Magnolia is releasing this boring scare-, suspense- and gore-free horror movie (which reportedly cost less than $100,000) on Halloween weekend.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 13, 2010
    The new creature feature Monsters is an intriguing mash-up of "District 9," "The Host" and assorted recent post-apocalypse road pictures.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 13, 2010
    Monsters, like a serpent eating its own tail, comes back on itself in ways that haunt, and hurt.