Monsters

6.7

1. Feb 12, 2011
    A good, little flick. Nothing less, and nothing more.

Now, why does Metacritic demand you to have at least 150 characters? So you have to be like a long-winded, full-of-yourself pretentious movie reviewer wannabe? Just more exemplary of how the revamp of last year remains web ****
  2. Dec 7, 2010
    slow-paced and beautiful. I can't say much more than that, and I don't want to big up the ending and ruin it for anyone - but I loved it. I'd give it a 9 but i'll give it a 10 to get the score higher (Y)
  3. Oct 31, 2010
    The camerawork (composition of shots, lighting etc) was superb! I feel that people may not appreciate the plot because they look at it as a movie about Alien's, but it isn't. It's a boy meets girl film with aliens and an international crisis as the backdrop. In this respect I thought it was really good. That being said, the acting was average.
  4. Nov 3, 2010
    This movie completely blew me away. It's very slow paced, so if you can't handle that, it's not for you. It reminds me of Tarkovsky's Stalker, both in rhythm and thematics. The creature is a perfect rendition of Cthulhu, that alone grants it new levels of awesome. And Jon Hopkins Ambient music crows it all, in a perfectly meditative reflexive experience. I totally recommend it.
  5. Nov 30, 2010
    A superb film. Beautifully shot and completely absorbing. Be warned though this is not District 9 or Cloverfield. The 'Monsters' are not in fact the aliens that lurk in the background of this movie but the humans who relentlessly try to blow them out of existence.
  6. Dec 9, 2010
    Monsters was absolutely astounding. Everything about this film was nigh on perfect, from the very well crafted, yet simplistic titular 'Monsters', to the cinematography, the score and the acting. The one thing I can complain about is that the promoters chose to size it up next to Michael Bay's 'Crapline' in the UK and unfortunately, this film just won't get the viewers it really should beMonsters was absolutely astounding. Everything about this film was nigh on perfect, from the very well crafted, yet simplistic titular 'Monsters', to the cinematography, the score and the acting. The one thing I can complain about is that the promoters chose to size it up next to Michael Bay's 'Crapline' in the UK and unfortunately, this film just won't get the viewers it really should be doing. If you're a fan of classic Sci-fi/drama in the vein of early 'JAWS' (1/2), then this is certainly the movie for you and a great way to round out a year of otherwise terrible cinema. Expand
  7. Jan 1, 2011
    Think District 9 meets War Of The Worlds, only with a fraction of the budget. A well told road movie at the heart of a alien "B" movie. The two lead actors are good and the effects are amazing conidering the budget. Just don't expect a mass of scares or action, but in this movies case this is a good thing. Loved the ending.
  8. Jan 24, 2011
    A bunch of octopuses floating in the sky was the best part of the movie. Need I say more? Yes. That movies sucked so hard I got bored while I was stoned.
  9. Mar 12, 2011
    Thought it would be more gore-like and full of monsters, but this is also interesting approach...so.. solid 7, nice acting, great directing, but lousy effects, if they have invested a bit more in CGI it would be a nine or ten...
  10. Feb 16, 2011
    Saved for later viewing as a part of the list of films I'd like to watch. I use this site to find films worth watching - why can't there be a button that says 'save' or something?
  11. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An excellent idea for a film and one that was executed well enough, especially on a fifteen thousand dollar budget. To many people went into this with a closed mind expecting another Aliens or Independence Day knock off and instead they got a thoughtful, deep film with decent acting and amazing homegrown effects. That isn't to say it's without flaws. The monster design is a little unimaginative though they aren't Cthulhu either, simple floating octopi. Cthulhu had arms and legs people and large wings. Also a bloated stomach. Actually read the Lovecraft stories.

The ending is bleak which in this case I thought was an excellent way to finish it. The overall tone of the film is hopeful and that counter balanced what could have just become a mediocre boy meets girl in the midst of an alien invasion plot. Definitely a decent way to spend an hour and a half however only if you have a modicum of open mindedness and can actually appreciate an indie film trying to do something more and accomplishing it, more or less.
  12. maz
    Mar 29, 2011
    This film was very 'empty' with an extremely weak plot. The story had the potential to make a good film but nothing really happened in the film.
    I certainly would not class it as a thrilling sci-fi film, rather, a boring, a very boring, a very, very boring and poorly-acted film. I regret wasting my time watching it!
  13. May 1, 2011
    I was initially surprised by the ratings this movie has received. The film is astoundingly simple, true, but it is equally beautiful. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Lost in Translation, capturing the building relationship between two strangers. When it was over my mom essentially said that nothing had happened, and I feel that most people will see this movie and think the same thing.I was initially surprised by the ratings this movie has received. The film is astoundingly simple, true, but it is equally beautiful. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Lost in Translation, capturing the building relationship between two strangers. When it was over my mom essentially said that nothing had happened, and I feel that most people will see this movie and think the same thing. However, I believe they're highly mistaken. I recommend people put their expectations aside and give this a try. Expand
  14. Aug 25, 2011
    I and my be-loving wife liked the film from the start. It is a unusual love-story about humans and about alien. The feeling in this low budged production is and locks more worthy than his 900.000 bucks. Only two starlets improvised the film at the nicest locations in the world. You can feel through the characters. Only the ending is a bit strange... but I licked it; my wife does not ;-).
  15. Oct 6, 2011
    Monsters is well worth a watch, even if it's more for the remarkable story of its production than for the end product. Made by a first-time director on next to no budget, with minimal crew and two unknown actors, it is incredible that the film has turned out the way it has. Gareth Edwards, as a visual effects technician, has a keen eye for making things look good - every shot isMonsters is well worth a watch, even if it's more for the remarkable story of its production than for the end product. Made by a first-time director on next to no budget, with minimal crew and two unknown actors, it is incredible that the film has turned out the way it has. Gareth Edwards, as a visual effects technician, has a keen eye for making things look good - every shot is beautifully framed, and the huge variety of South American landscapes that the characters travel through are used to their full effect. The monsters themselves are believable enough, but not flawless (not that they could be in such a low-budget film), so it is lucky that most scenes with them on camera are relatively brief. The film works best as a road movie, and it's really about the physical and emotional journey the two characters go through than about the creatures they encounter. Edwards' use of two unknown actors and unaware bystanders is admirable, and while Whitney Able and Scoot McNairy have great chemistry, it's all too obvious in some scenes that the actors have engaged someone under false pretence to get the desired reaction to use in the film. The plot does take a little while to get moving, and some sections can drag, but on the whole, Monsters is a wild ride, and a thoroughly enjoyable directorial debut from Edwards. Expand
  16. Jul 13, 2011
    An excellent first time achievement. This beautifully shot piece is a lot smaller as the title may suggest, instead presenting a fresh perspective on familiar themes. Special effects are used with purpose, which is a credit to the film maker, though the looseness of the story leaves the viewer a bit detached from the characters, exacerbated further by a rather anti-climatic ending. JonAn excellent first time achievement. This beautifully shot piece is a lot smaller as the title may suggest, instead presenting a fresh perspective on familiar themes. Special effects are used with purpose, which is a credit to the film maker, though the looseness of the story leaves the viewer a bit detached from the characters, exacerbated further by a rather anti-climatic ending. Jon Hopkins' soundtrack adds to this unique approach to the monster-horror genre. Expand
  17. Aug 2, 2011
    Great little film, but to truly understand what an astonishing achievement it was you really need to watch the 2 hr making of doc that comes on the blu-ray. A 4 man crew, no script, all shot on the fly and improvised by (real life couple) Scoot and Whitney, no other paid actors and just making use of whatever or whoever came into view, then edited down from over 100 hours of footage, withGreat little film, but to truly understand what an astonishing achievement it was you really need to watch the 2 hr making of doc that comes on the blu-ray. A 4 man crew, no script, all shot on the fly and improvised by (real life couple) Scoot and Whitney, no other paid actors and just making use of whatever or whoever came into view, then edited down from over 100 hours of footage, with over 250 cgi shots done by 1 man using essentially shop bought software. Gareth Edwards is a man going places. If he can make a film like this with less money than Michael Bay spends on a haircut imagine what he could do with a proper budget and full freedom to create what he wants with it!! Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2016
    It is incredible this film was made for less than $500,000. Sporting fantastic special effects and creature design, Monsters may be a touch underwhelming on the monster front, but director Gareth Edwards knows how to create tension and an unsettling atmosphere to the point that when the monsters arrive, you are ready to burst with fear and excitement. The acting is solid and, as I said,It is incredible this film was made for less than $500,000. Sporting fantastic special effects and creature design, Monsters may be a touch underwhelming on the monster front, but director Gareth Edwards knows how to create tension and an unsettling atmosphere to the point that when the monsters arrive, you are ready to burst with fear and excitement. The acting is solid and, as I said, the direction and special effects are top-notch. Where Monsters somewhat falls apart is with the human characters, brief moments of trying to give them some depth, and an entirely useless romantic tension throughout the film. Honestly, it serves no purpose. I want to watch these creatures cause havoc, not watch two poorly crafted characters ignore the obvious sexual tension in the room. However, aside from that, Monsters is an impressive debut from Gareth Edwards that exemplifies why he is considered to have so much promise. Expand
  19. Dec 8, 2012
    One of the complete surprises of the year. Really good film, great characters, and solid performances carry this film beyond your typically alien/sci-fi genre film.
  20. May 2, 2013
    I began this movie expecting a bad B science fiction alien/monster film to have playing in the background while working on my computer. I was astonished to find this expectation completely wrong. I was sucked into this movie from the beginning, to such a degree that I had to pause the film to research the director, actors, and soundtrack artist in utter disbelief, wondering the entire timeI began this movie expecting a bad B science fiction alien/monster film to have playing in the background while working on my computer. I was astonished to find this expectation completely wrong. I was sucked into this movie from the beginning, to such a degree that I had to pause the film to research the director, actors, and soundtrack artist in utter disbelief, wondering the entire time how and why I hadn't heard of them before. I can't decide which aspect was my favorite between the building suspense, character development, or breathtaking soundtrack. I feel that despite its low budget (something I didn't even realize while watching the movie), the film still delivers a poetry that is rarely captured in film. This is only accentuated by the film's slower pace, soundtrack (Jon Hopkins), and ending.

The best (and most concise) review I can offer: although I'm operating on a college student budget, I would purchase this movie at a moment's glance simply to have access to it for years to come.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    Great Road Movie in Sci-Fi style on a low budget picture that proves no gender is difficult with a good idea.
    Serious camera work great acting on a Mexico-USA crossing of the border where the humans are the aliens.
  22. Sep 28, 2014
    That's a real great movie! sure: it's not an action one at all!! In 1h30 we can notice the monsters 3 times. However, we're not watching a transformers! It's a movie based on a tensed and incredible ambiance!
    The plot is simple: 2 peoples want to go out from an infected place where some extraterrestrial monsters occure. But the personality of these characters is worked well, the dialogues are human and real (sometimes funny ..)... Moreover, ''the fear of the unknown'' is exploited well in this movie and that's why it's very different from the other monsters' movies.
    If you want an advice: GO AHEAD AND WATCH "MONSTERS" to get a new movie experience!
  23. Jul 11, 2014
    Got that steelbook. It´s a good movie, the problem wasf the trailer, the trailer was misleading af, should have beaten the guy who was responsible for, trailer looked like a next mib, with aliens all over the place. But that´s not the case, you only see them once or twice in this movie. The documentation in the extras is genius, the guy did some special effects that i didnt even noticeGot that steelbook. It´s a good movie, the problem wasf the trailer, the trailer was misleading af, should have beaten the guy who was responsible for, trailer looked like a next mib, with aliens all over the place. But that´s not the case, you only see them once or twice in this movie. The documentation in the extras is genius, the guy did some special effects that i didnt even notice that it was special effects Expand
  24. Jul 12, 2015
    Summary: Gareth Edwards' impressive debut "Monsters" is an interesting, original, and economically-effective sci-fi flick. 84/100 [B+]

Six years ago NASA discovered the possibility of alien life within our solar system. A probe was launched to collect samples, but crashed upon re-entry over Central America. Soon after, new life form began to appear and half of Mexico was quarantined as an infected zone. Today, the American and Mexican military still struggle to contain "the creatures". Our story begins when a US journalist agrees to escort a shaken tourist through the infected zone in Mexico to the safety of the US border.

I really liked this film, maybe because I live in Saltillo, Mexico; my location is part of "the infected zone" and I found it exciting for some reason. Gareth Edwards is one of my new favorite directors; all his films (this one and Godzilla) have something in common, both rely on the human perspective in a devastating situation. Edwards is the only one who knows how to make a film about monsters, without showing too much of the monsters themselves. The movie had a very low budget, but it didn't look crappy at all.

The two main leads have chemistry between each other and I also loved when the girl and some other characters in the film talked in Spanish, the script was very well done. This couple was likable and their relationship ended up well without being too predictable. Overall, it was a very interesting journey. A must see if you're a huge fan of indie movies. The special effects are modest and wisely good, of course they are not mind-blowing and you will not see monsters destroying cities but it is still a pretty great indie flick. [B+]

1. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Dec 13, 2010
    The only thing remotely scary about Monsters is that Magnolia is releasing this boring scare-, suspense- and gore-free horror movie (which reportedly cost less than $100,000) on Halloween weekend.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 13, 2010
    The new creature feature Monsters is an intriguing mash-up of "District 9," "The Host" and assorted recent post-apocalypse road pictures.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 13, 2010
    Monsters, like a serpent eating its own tail, comes back on itself in ways that haunt, and hurt.