8.4

1. Jul 29, 2013
    It does its thing really well. My main gripe is that it didn't really say anything relevant about life. I like sci fi to touch on relevant political or philosophical issues. Or maybe it was just the relatively slow pacing and the constant use of the same piano theme.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    I'm really split on this movie. It is both utterly brilliant and completely boring. Masterfully written, but completely predictable and generic.

I don't think Rockwell or Spacey could do any better. They are fantastic in their roles. Yet, the movie as a whole feels so boring and goes on and on. The plot isn't original. The twists are transparent and you see them coming a mile away.

Overall:
    This is a Sci-Fi artsy piece that is trying too hard to be another 2001. It could have been, if there had been any innovation.
  3. Feb 24, 2013
    Sam Rockwell gives an Oscar worthy performance in an otherwise dark and mediocre film. I can see what the director was aiming for, but he missed the mark big time. The story was decent enough, but the movie was very slow and extremely predictable. The performance of Rockwell, was his best performance to date, however it was wasted on what i thought was a pretty dull movie.
  4. SaulH.
    May 3, 2010
    It baffles me that so many people find this movie to be an enjoyable venue. The movie is slow, extremely predictable and borrows too obvious from far superior predecessors. Rockwell gives a good if uneven performance and it's always nice to catch Spacey, even if he literally phoned it in this time. The story could have worked had it been told in a shorter amount of time and had it It baffles me that so many people find this movie to be an enjoyable venue. The movie is slow, extremely predictable and borrows too obvious from far superior predecessors. Rockwell gives a good if uneven performance and it's always nice to catch Spacey, even if he literally phoned it in this time. The story could have worked had it been told in a shorter amount of time and had it skipped some of the many absurd lapses in logic it needlessly featured. And a less repetitive script and score surely would have helped a lot too. But who's counting the misses in a flick that is already in Cooperstown. A flawed simpleton's version of 2001 and Solaris for the MTV generation. Expand
  5. MalR
    Aug 4, 2009
    Great to see a sci-fi film that focusses on something other than CGI, but... it's sadly little more than the big-screen equivalent of a fairly average sci-fi novel. The suspense never reaches any kind of peak and the plot is... lightweight. Should've been a short rather than a full-length film, imho - could've had more impact that way.
  6. VicS.
    Oct 27, 2009
    Note: You will probably only like this if you appreciate geeky sci-fi that places more emphasis on coolness, or performance, or just being "arty", than delivering compelling entertainment. I'm not this person. The premise was compelling. The story was not. It could have been told in 1/6th the time. Worse, at the point when the story finally gained traction and ground to its most Note: You will probably only like this if you appreciate geeky sci-fi that places more emphasis on coolness, or performance, or just being "arty", than delivering compelling entertainment. I'm not this person. The premise was compelling. The story was not. It could have been told in 1/6th the time. Worse, at the point when the story finally gained traction and ground to its most highly anticipated moment, the film suddenly ended. Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2010
    I understand that the screenwriter and producers are trying to build some type of science fiction storyline, but with Moon, it just wasn't working. The film has several weak points and for the 1 hour and 37 minutes, it seems like more can arise if it went on any longer. And people cannot call this a psychological film mainly due to a weak story. Director Duncan Jones tries to create thisI understand that the screenwriter and producers are trying to build some type of science fiction storyline, but with Moon, it just wasn't working. The film has several weak points and for the 1 hour and 37 minutes, it seems like more can arise if it went on any longer. And people cannot call this a psychological film mainly due to a weak story. Director Duncan Jones tries to create this universal feeling throughout the film of loneliness, that made me roll my eyes a thousand times due to the second failure in this film, the acting. It just wasn't pleasing to watch and it's especially hard to develop a character throwing the f-bomb whenever there ever isn't anything else to say. Moon takes concentration to watch, and I was glad the running time wasn't any longer. Expand
  8. Feb 9, 2011
    In short it's a well acted, atmospheric, low budget, and extremely predictable movie to be quickly forgotten. A mixed bag of SFX to boot.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    I see what they are trying to do, but it just left to many questions unanswered. Good premise and sets, but the story needed a lot more work. Also, it is just boring. It felt way longer than it actually was.
  10. MiKE
    Jan 17, 2010
    Worse then I predicted it to be, The idea/story is a decent one. But The problem that I had with the movie was, that the atmosphere wasn't there, I didn't care for the character or his clones.
  11. AaronF
    Aug 10, 2009
    The movie was quite intriguing and interesting at times, although the plot seemed somewhat drawn out and the end was a bit confusing.
  12. Jan 25, 2015
    It could have been great. The performance is very good and the whole idea could have become something greater. It is well done. But it is kind of predictable and the worst thing: it´s boring. I love these type of films but I wanted it to end at times. I am sad to say it but you can skip it. There are more powerful films which deal with similar issues.

1. Reviewed by: Whitney Borup
    Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.