8.4

1. Aug 22, 2010
    A painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semi forgotten. And the score by clint mansell (Requiem for a Dream) is absolutly brilliant. If you're bored by this film switch on Transformers ot Avatar and don't bother looking back! I respect peoples opinions but saying this is boring is like saying 'My Dinner With Andre' is uninteresting, Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    Sam Rockwell gives an Oscar worthy performance in an otherwise dark and mediocre film. I can see what the director was aiming for, but he missed the mark big time. The story was decent enough, but the movie was very slow and extremely predictable. The performance of Rockwell, was his best performance to date, however it was wasted on what i thought was a pretty dull movie.
  3. Nov 7, 2010
    Being such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise is that he isn't alone at all. Something a bit different in a genre that often lacks originality, Moon is a must see noughties movie. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    A quietly satisfying film that is Well paced and acted. However I can't give it more than a 7 as I feel they could have made a lot more of the big reveal about the astronaughts identity and from that point on it was all very predictable. There are many many inluences of other films to be seen here; silent running, AI, alien, 2001, etc. So many in fact that the film didn't seem to have an identity of its own. I also found the whole premise of having a clone on the moon somewhat unbelievable when it would have been far more effective just to have a team of real people up there, and dispense with the cloak and dagger. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2011
    One of the best films ever made, Sam Rockwell's performance is stella and without flaw. I loved the characters the story and the dialogue.The film industry will struggle to make a film this good ever again.
  6. Nov 11, 2013
    This film is deceptively brilliant, bordering that grey area where there are characters that are depicted do not fall into the trap of specifically bad or good. There is no real physical entity that serves as an antagonist, instead twisting the twist even further by having the protagonist's other self be just as similar with elements of self-confidence. It is dealt with spectacularly, but it was obvious that this proves a real take on something that goes so much unnoticed, dealing with science-fiction that possesses a more emotional and metaphorical nature. The computer, played with a surprisingly lack of monotone by the rightfully chosen Kevin Spacey, is given a personality with a much different result compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Sam Rockwell's performance couldn't have been done with a different appearance, his voice able to express wild emotion and a casual tone of both indifference and contentment. It is not so much nuanced, but it was important to understand the feelings of someone isolated in space without so much as a live feed, inclusive of how natural the reveal was.
  7. May 14, 2012
    A quite good science fiction movie that contrasts with the usual action packed ones we are used to. It's entertaining, the plot evolves steadily, but not too fast so that the character and the emotions are not glossed over, and not too slow as well so that we are not left bored or waiting for the next thing to happen. I wasn't expecting anything from this movie, I got a pleasant surprise.
  8. Dec 31, 2011
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    1) If you like actions, this movie is not for you. It's a deep movie, where you should think not just watch.
    2) They had 5m$ and filmed a movie with story which is way better than Cameron's Avatar (237m$)
    3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's.
    4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big
    success as well.

If you like movies like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Mr Nobody" and "The shutter Island" you will deffiantly like the "Moon".

BUT. There is always But. If you like shooting and explosion- no, there won't be shooting and explosions in that movie.
  9. Dec 16, 2011
    Underrated, under the radar, under the surface. Unseen. Yet, one of the best out there. It takes a while to figure out what's going on, but you realize it was really there all along. Open your eyes, world. Find this film. Match the pieces of its puzzle. Enjoy.
  10. Jul 29, 2013
    It does its thing really well. My main gripe is that it didn't really say anything relevant about life. I like sci fi to touch on relevant political or philosophical issues. Or maybe it was just the relatively slow pacing and the constant use of the same piano theme.
  11. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    Finally, a sci-fi movie with a PLOT that works without attempting to dazzle the audience with special effects. I've been waiting for that. I particularly enjoyed the subtle subversion of certain conventions of the genre.
  12. Mar 18, 2013
    Sam (Rockwell) works for the company that is responsible for producing most of the world's energy. Sounds like a great gig but there is a catch. He work on the moon, what's worse is he is stationed there for the duration of a three year contract with no interaction except for GERTY (Spacey) the computer that aids him in his work. Sam knows three years is too long, he desperately misses his wife and daughter. He has begun to have delusions, he tells GERTY he is worried because he has begun talking to himself. Things turn real bad when he takes a trip on a rover to fix a piece of machinery that has broken down. Sam crashes the rover and it is at this point that things start to become fuzzy not only for Sam but for the viewer.

Everything Moon is it owes to Rockwell. He is always a more than capable actor but outdoes himself in this role. The character he is playing goes through many extreme emotional states during the course of this film. Rockwell not only displays these emotions effectively but he keeps what could be an extreme character grounded enough that we continue to identify with him throughout the entire film. Spacey has a unique voice, one that doesn't always work to his advantage. It works perfectly here, the emoticons on GERTY are quite effective as well. Non-human characters are not an easy thing to pull off in film, but GERTY not only works it adds to the emotion of the film. If Moon has an issue it is in visuals. This was probably a low budget movie so I won't harp on it. I will say that everything inside the station is fine, everything outside the station less than fine.

Moon is a very effective character study. Grounded sci-fi is rare and Moon is better than most that have tried. Even the twists feel less jarring than they do in most movies. A must watch for any film fan.
  13. Aug 2, 2013
    I personally found Moon to be a very interesting and thought-provoking movie that was also deeply stirring and emotional. The great score by Clint Mansell (the genius behind Requiem for a Dream's music) gave the scenes an auxiliary touching effect and Sam Rockwell acts absolutely masterfully. The visuals are definitely not as interesting as in some other movies of its genre, yet the look is quite an achievement if you consider the small budget. An issue that pretty much everyone will face while watching Moon is that it tends to be quite tedious and you will really lose interest during some of the long wordless shots. However, that didn't bother me that much since there were lots of other well-made scenes and the general feeling I had while watching the movie, which was an unsettling sadness. Moon is relatively unique and impressing and I'd recommend it to everyone who appreciates material to think about when watching a movie. Expand
  14. Feb 20, 2013
    Go see this if you are tired of the Hollywood science fiction clichés. Nice acting from Sam Rockwell. The set pieces and CGI was also good. The story is good, but I do not consider it anything special. Overall a smarter than usual science fiction movie worth watching.
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    Great film! The critics loved it, and it's plain to see why. Moon is an amazing directorial debut from Duncan Jones, and Sam Rockwell gives an incredible performance. He gives a stunning, Oscar caliber performance. Also, the story was well thought-out, unique, and really intriguing and interesting. Unlike anything I have ever seen, really. I also liked that it incorporated a few of the good elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey, like the robot, Gerty's, appearance, and the classical musical score. Excellent music by Clint Mansell. I even thought the special effects and computer generated sequences were good, especially for a low budget of only 5 million dollars. Pretty impressive! Moon is an excellent example of a great Sci-Fi film. For me, this simple yet sophisticated movie delivers in every way one can. Story, acting, emotion, music, mystery, humor, conflict, scenery, setting, there was even a little romance and a fight scene. I definitely recommend this film to everyone! Expand
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    I'm really split on this movie. It is both utterly brilliant and completely boring. Masterfully written, but completely predictable and generic.

I don't think Rockwell or Spacey could do any better. They are fantastic in their roles.

Yet, the movie as a whole feels so boring and goes on and on. The plot isn't original. The twists are transparent and you see them coming a mile away.

Overall:
    This is a Sci-Fi artsy piece that is trying too hard to be another 2001. It could have been, if there had been any innovation.
  17. Apr 22, 2013
    While it could be easily argued that 'Moon' dispenses with it's mystery elements too readily, by doing so it allows the film to become intensely moving.
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    This movie is so good, it's easily made it to my top 10, maybe even top 5. It's plot is admittedly weak, but that's okay, I don't care. Instead, the superb acting creates a STORY, and its so compelling. One of those Sci-fi films in league with Blade Runner or Fahrenheit 451 than Star Wars; it makes you think and question. The story really is heartbreaking. Other reviews will say many different things on this subject, but I would recommend at least seeing this movie to form your own opinion. Expand
  19. May 12, 2013
    A terrific movie with an Sam Rockwell who plays two roles like one god.The whole idea of the film not seems new and path-breaking but the film is so much more than just a insider tipp.Its a story which is so good that no action sequences are needed in the entire movie.And i think that says a lot about the quality of the dialogues.There is only one way to describe it:Its a fabulous Sci-Fi-Thriller with an phenomenal Sam Rockwell. Expand
  20. Oct 13, 2013
    Watched Moon (2009), for the 1st. time, in 2013. One of the best Science Fiction films. I don't follow Academy Awards or Oscars, but if anyone deserved one; Sam Rockwell did. Basically he carried the movie by himself...it was awesome and engaging emotionally. Brilliant production.
  21. Aug 13, 2010
    great, minimalistic film that makes use of science fiction roots to provide an original and intriguing experience.
    Jones is someone to look out for, and I've always been a fan of Sam Rockwell so it is great to see him in a leading role
  22. Aug 24, 2010
    Moon's hair thin plot line is drawn out and uninteresting featuring some rather flimsy ideas already explored in numerous works of SF with much more aplomb. It seriously amazes me that so many people are intrigued with this light weight contender which seems to be aimed pointblank at the lowest common denominator. People who have never read a science-fiction book, have never watched a Star Trek episode and to whom 2001 is just a date on a grub-stained calendar still clipped to the fridge. Expand
  23. Aug 25, 2010
    I live in Australia and watched the Moon movie tonight on Foxtel. This is the first time I knew the film existed. While watching it I thought it was made in the early 1970s. Even the "laptops" were bulky and outdated. Its amazing that they kept authentically to the old genre. It is a movie that makes you think about the future but sadly to say it seemed unsuited to a young audience. To me, however, in my 60s it was nostalgic. Expand
  24. Aug 26, 2010
    The plot may be a bit predictable and slow as a whole, but "Moon" is certainly worth the watch - both for drawing philosophical inspiration from the old sci-fi greats ("2001: A Space Odyssey","Solaris") and Sam Rockwell's incredible dual performance.
  25. Aug 28, 2010
    Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

One day a gardener discovers that a large number of trees under her care, are not straight. "How did I forget the teachings of my father?" He asks. "You have to follow every day the growth of saplings, when you realize that a trailing straight trunk is the time to straighten wood suitable support. But you have to do it now or will be too late.
    "Teaching is definitely visionary.And a film can be far-sighted? It may be as far as is its director. The director of Moon (Duncan Jones) is, in my opinion, far-sighted. I hope, if I understand or at least I went to his thought that his clairvoyance not remain unheard.

Moon is not a film to hurry, to be seen again. Heard, listened. It should be savored and enjoyed slowly, as one would a fine wine. Without this, you realize that after initially lost the life of Sam (Sam Rockwell) you must follow it, because you can not live his play, can not remain indifferent to his story suddenly becomes bimodal. And then ... and then there's Kevin Spacey's voice Gerty. Gerty this AI right from the start of an essay on how it intends to occupy the space given. And then ... and then there are the music by Clint Mansell, bad, boy!

I hope, a new schedule for this film deserves it. Someone has argued the lack of special effects for stunning lack of money. But on ... who is able to score does not need to kick of branded footwear. However, Duncan Jones, its network has made because I think Moon is a film aesthetically pleasing and ethically responsible.

Gerty knows zero law of robotics?

Good Ciak!
  26. Sep 9, 2010
    An outstanding directorial debut from Duncan Jones, with a brilliant lead performance by Sam Rockwell. It is by far, the best role I've seen him in for years. The visual aspect is amazing, the cinematography is beautifully done and the overall effect of the musical score is haunting. What kills the film, is the middle of the film where it drags. The beginning is great and then it slows down. But the ending (can't say what it is) speeds up to an awesome climax. Expand
  27. Nov 7, 2010
    Nice movie for a Sunday afternoon with grain waves and some energy drink. How many times Sam Rockwell have been in space? The feeling is familiar, it is good see him there walking around in another "spaceship". The drama itself is not incredible touching but the idea of how strong are our memories and how they affect our feelings is always interesting. Sam is always good and there are no more acting to talk about it. The plot, the writing and the scrip are firm and well done. Expand
  28. Aug 29, 2010
    A real gem. Moon is a small film and all the better for it, creating genuinely intimate feel the script has been crafted with wit and style to support a surprisingly intricate plot line. Sam Rockwell is excellent as ever and Duncan Jones surely shows enough here to suggest he has imagination along similar lines to Fincher or Nolan and will go on to greater things. Great fun.
  29. Nov 8, 2010
    One of the last of it's kind, this sci-fi thriller should keep fans of the genre happy. With apparent allusions to a certain Stanley Kubrick film, Kevin Spacey undoubtably makes a very fine HAL. Amateur director Duncan Jones shows his qualities in His first full-length film. Apparently, the Bowie family has a thing for space.
  30. Dec 31, 2012
    There is much to admire in this film; everything from Sam Rockwell
  31. Sep 28, 2010
    The human life is a vessel that at most times is granted by all us. Duncan Jones's Moon is a film that explores this common perception of man in a way that utilizes traces of science fiction and entertainment. Moon tells a story of a quasi astronaut Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell) that is under a 3-year contract. Within this written contract, he is succumbed to live in isolation trying to gather energy from the moon, which is utilized in this future world. When the contract is close to termination, the main character faces a dark truth about his overall life. This dark truth is the basis of the film, which leads the audience to question their own life and how sacred it is. Due to the reason that it may reveal the main twists of the film, I can not qualify on why this truth is truly impacting.

Although Moon's exploration of life is the greatest part of the movie, the quality of the movie is above average at most. The plot of the movie moves at a very slow pace. I understand that this movie was made in a very limited budget, but that doesn't excuse the "slow as molasses movement" the movie possesses. Not until the 25 minute mark of the movie is the movie somewhat interesting. So basically, a third of the movie establishes that Sam Bell is a human on the moon that is missing his wife at home. Could that have not been set in stone in a much shorter time? Even when the movie starts to gain its momentum, it still never reaches that greatness that its concept allows it to have. But although it may never reach this point, it reaches a point that forces the audience to think. With plot-twists and moments that enable the mind to think, it is a movie that is undoubtedly thoughtful. This leads me to the other positive aspect of the movie, Sam Rockwell. Sam Rockwell makes this movie shine. Playing a double role in this film really shows the actor's talent. His performance is believable in this alternate-reality environment; in addition to his relationship with Gerty, a robot voiced by Kevin Spacey, which is interesting and leads the audience to believe that he actually possesses a connection with this machine.

Overall, Moon is commendable. If you can overlook its slow pace, there is a movie that is really innovative and thoughtful about man's nature. But be aware, it is not a movie one would watch for pure entertainment, but instead watch it for its true uniqueness.
  32. Nov 1, 2010
    Moon, defiitely starts of slow, and did not capture my attention for the first 20 minutes because I had no idea where it was going. Once it showed it's true colors though, it completely shined. I had no idea what to expect when putting in Moon to watch on blu-ray but was very pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend this movie to avid movie-goers, only if you want to think!
  33. Jun 14, 2012
    An absolutely wonderful film with an Oscar-worthy central performance my Rockwell. Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack was a cherry on top and the Space 1999-style effects only endeared it to me more!
  34. Nov 22, 2010
    I understand that the screenwriter and producers are trying to build some type of science fiction storyline, but with Moon, it just wasn't working. The film has several weak points and for the 1 hour and 37 minutes, it seems like more can arise if it went on any longer. And people cannot call this a psychological film mainly due to a weak story. Director Duncan Jones tries to create this universal feeling throughout the film of loneliness, that made me roll my eyes a thousand times due to the second failure in this film, the acting. It just wasn't pleasing to watch and it's especially hard to develop a character throwing the f-bomb whenever there ever isn't anything else to say. Moon takes concentration to watch, and I was glad the running time wasn't any longer. Expand
  35. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    An excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer can understand him; it doesn't have to be action. The movie is proof that CGI isn't needed for everything - all the outside shots were done with models. And this first time director, Duncan Jones only had a small 5 million budget to use. Too bad it was a very limited release. Expand
  36. Oct 13, 2012
    Moon is a devastatingly sad sci-fi movie featuring an amazing performance from Sam Rockwell. This is intelligent, well thought out and written science fiction in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The fact that Moon survives such monumental comparisons strongly attests to how great a movie it is.
  37. Jan 8, 2011
    ONE OF THE MOST BORING MOVIES EVER MADE!!PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS! IM just ......

kidding.

Brilliant movie!!Not as good as Bladerunner or 2001:A space odyssey but one that does provide competition!!lKubrick -style movie that not only catches one's attention but manages to hold it for quite some while
  38. Feb 9, 2011
    In short it's a well acted, atmospheric, low budget, and extremely predictable movie to be quickly forgotten. A mixed bag of SFX to boot.
  39. Mar 1, 2011
    A fantastic psychological thriller that you may think you know where it's going, but then it takes a detour on you. Brilliant performance by Sam Rockwell. Highly recommended.
  40. Mar 31, 2011
    Brilliant acting by Sam Rockwell, and a director not afraid to utilize miniatures has resulted in one of the best Science-Fiction flicks recently released. If you havent seen Moon, you need to! This is a def. buy, if youre looking to own too!
  41. Apr 13, 2011
    "I'm floating in the most peculiar way/And the stars look very different today..." An interesting, beautifully executed meditation on time and identity which manages to hold the attention despite its narrow focus due to a hypnotic and compelling performance from Sam Rockwell. There's much to absorb on every level but he pulls off a difficult feat here. Entirely gripping and ultimately moving
  42. May 7, 2011
    At last an intelligent science-fiction movie again; it proves one more time that you don't need a whole bunch of special effects : a good plot and a good actor will do! A little gem from the same director of Source Code
  43. Jun 15, 2011
    Moon was a brilliant film. It isn't often that you see a film so thoughtfully concentrated on a single character's emotions. The storyline was great, despite having an inkling with regards to the twist fairly early on, and Sam Rockwell's superb performance combined with Clint Mansell's lovely music made the gem sparkle even more. It is honestly a pity that science-fiction films such as this one don't receive near enough attention.

A great watch I strongly recommend to even the most avid of science-fiction fans.
  44. Aug 23, 2011
    Although the beginning is very slow the film has a good premise that brings the intensity to the film. This film brings a new look to the sci fi genre.
  45. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    One of the two great science fiction movies to come out this year, District 9 being the other. It has a climax that'll make your head spin. I can't recommend this enough. Sam Rockwell is a revelation as astronaut Sam Bell just about to finish his three year stint on the moon which isn't all what it's cracked up to be.
  46. Nov 4, 2011
    An old-school SF classic, Sam's fight for sanity and the truth are mesmerizing to watch and the incorporation of Kevin Spacey in the movie lends an air of legitimacy, many have shunned this movie, calling it dull, boring and a hundred other negative terms, but its an incredibly intelligent film, one that demands your attention and thanks you for it, I loved it.
  47. Nov 10, 2011
    I see what they are trying to do, but it just left to many questions unanswered. Good premise and sets, but the story needed a lot more work. Also, it is just boring. It felt way longer than it actually was.
  48. Jan 27, 2012
    How anyone could call this movie "boring" is beyond me. Sure, there are no alien zombie robots trying to destroy earth and only one manly man and his pretty girlfriend can stop them, but there is, indeed suspense and drama. The exploration of what happens to this character, mainly emotionally, is interesting and gripping. Personally, I felt really sorry for him and was even moved to tears in a few scenes. He's also being played very well by Sam Rockwell and the movie looks real and so on, so as a piece of work, this is very well done. Where it suffers is the actual storyline. Even if you accept the basic premise about a company doing "it" like that (don't want to spoil it) as a given, there are a bit too many unlikelinesses and even a few outright contradictions/plotholes not to be disturbed or rather distracted in your suspension of disbelief. If you won't realize them or won't care, this will be a wonderful movie and these flaws are not really important to what the movie is actually about, but on the other hand, that's even sadder because they all could've been easily avoided as they're not vital to the central plot. However, there were a few details I did not like. First: the robot, GERTY - that was way too over the top and overall a very poor implementation, I don't care if Kevin Spacey spoke it. It never appeared believable, plausible or realistic. Second: The beginning could've used more build-up, it's gets revealed too soon what is going on, though the movie is about how the character deals with that situation, a bit more mystery before that would've been nice. The other twists can be seen coming a mile ago, very predictable. I'm not really sure how to rate this movie. You have to ignore too much stuff, but the emotional impact isn't really affected by that, so ... ah, whatever, I'm giving it an 8/10. Put one or even two points on top of that if you can keep yourself from thinking too much while watching it, the human drama behind it is very well portrayed. Expand
  49. Mar 18, 2012
    Movies nowadays tend to move towards a total package of being smart and having all the shebangs and explosions, that's not a bad thing. But its so fresh sometimes to go back to the main idea that got us interested in si-fi. This is a movie that is exactly that, flourishes in its own idea. As soon as you think that you're getting what's going on the moon, the movie throws something at you that completely changes everything. The opening scenes perfectly capture that castaway feeling, the mood that Sam is bored as hell and very lonely, the tone and pacing are pitch perfect. But when the mysteries start to pile on, that's when the movie really gets started. Its one after another and keeps the audience on their toes to see what going to happen next, obviously a great performance from Sam Rockwell doesn't hurt as well. This is a great movie to watch, not one bit boring and very intelligent along the way. Expand
  50. Jan 17, 2012
    Excellent performance by Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey as the ship's A.I 'GERTY'. It's a quiet a reflective film as well as very sad at points. It never gets pompous though. It's story may not be that original but it's so well dealt with you find yourself quickly not caring. The sets and effects look good and old school too. Excellent ending as well.
  51. Feb 6, 2012
    A masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of the comments seem like that because otherwise you can't come opinions like that. That's why I never give a sh** on official critics. They have no idea what good and what's not... Watch it, worth it! Expand
  52. Mar 1, 2012
    MOON (2009) I see a lot of good ratings on this one. I thought it was a pretty damn good film. I liked the space/moon station interiors. That was great. Felt like being on a real moon base or space station or something really futuristic !! The music was not bad, those throbbing notes of music, that went from the start credits, a d through variou sparts of the film and even in the end credits. It's got the voice of kevin spacey, as the robot, which was interesting. (Spoiler) The story is kind of sad, those guys are actually clones, and there are like hundreds of them, so when one dies, it gets replaced by another one. Interesting to see how the character (s) learned about his reality, and tested his boundaries. It's just a really interesting futuristic movie. I can see why some may think it's boring, but its very unique, the interesting things are the survival of the main character, and the intereior environmental design. It is believeable as to what to expect on a real moon base or space station in the future. Those six wheeled rovers were pretty cool. This is a movie I could watch several times, which is what I like. It does not have a lot of violence, like so many horrible movies do these days. I am sick of those movies, about violence, or criminals being portrayed as the protagonists. Finally a movie that thinks differently. It is so different from anything else! It may be a little bit like 2001 a space odyssey, or maybe some others, maybe kind of like a reality movie like the blair witch project/ or a "found footage" type movie, sort of. I think I give it an 8 out of 10 Expand
  53. Apr 28, 2012
    As a fan of science fiction, I love it when a movie like Moon comes along. Instead of throwing in aliens and big explosions, Moon offers an engaging story with a great acting performance by Sam Rockwell. While certainly not action-packed, Moon is still a very interesting and enjoyable film. Duncan Jones' directorial debut, this movie manages to do a lot with its small budget. While the visuals are not as top notch as most other sci-fi movies, they get the job done. If you are a fan of smart science fiction, check this movie out. Expand
  54. Sep 2, 2014
    The spawn of David Bowie joins the film industry with what? A one-of-a-kind space drama featuring gifted actors, Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey. We aren't surprised in the least. Moon takes a look at our future with the Moon and the progression of cloning in society.
  55. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is potentially confusing in places, and this makes you more and more intrigued. Both the story and the script are very intelligent, and the actors are great.
  56. Jun 29, 2012
    One of the most intriguing, visually dazzling science fiction movies in decades, what Moon lacks in pace, it makes up for in emotion and compassion. Completed under a rather minuscule budget of 5 million dollars, Duncan Jones' masterpiece asks an audience a rather simple question of the human condition - what would it be like to meet yourself? As well as this, Moon also poses important questions regarding the future of scientific developments, most notably the quest for alternative fuels and cloning, and the morality behind the operation of mega-corporations. As an audience, we are also treated to a stellar performance from Sam Rockwell, who plays a lonely helium-3 miner who is isolated from humanity for three years upon the Moon's barren surface, and a supreme musical composition from Clint Mansell which also contributes to the film's haunting atmosphere. Somehow, Moon manages to be both tragic and uplifting at the same time and it is this that enables the film to rank with the science fiction greats. Truly epic. Expand
  57. Mar 15, 2014
    This movie was amazing. Sam Bell, an astronaut collecting Earth's fuel source Helium-3 from the moon, is nearing the end of his 3-year contract and is excited to return home to his wife and child. The station has had communication problem that prevents Sam from contacting Earth in real-time (he sends pre-recorded messages) and his only form of social contact is a machine named GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey) and occasional recorded messages from his wife. When Sam has an accident and his replacement arrives ahead of schedule, a lot of things do not seem to make sense, and Sam Bell begins to investigate what his station on the moon really is. Expand
  58. Jul 14, 2014
    Overall, this one is pretty good. It is not great as many would have you believe nor is it criminally underrated. If anything at this point, it is a tad overrated. That is not to say is not quite good, though, as it is. Sam Rockwell is great and I love Kevin Spacey's voice acting here (the robot voiced by Spacey is 110% influenced by HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey). The special effects were also incredibly cool, but were not the focus, rather the focus of this one was on the story and Rockwell, to great effect. The effects were certainly great in a more "supporting" role though. In addition, this futuristic world is very well developed and established, which makes the story feel incredibly believeable. The story is also very interesting and well put together, so kudos to Jones for the script and his direction. However, I never really saw why this one has become an obsession for many. It was darn good and was certainly well done making it worthy of some praise, but it was anything but extraordinary to me. Expand
  59. Nov 17, 2012
    An absolute revival of the thought provoking, visionary science-fiction film, which has been dead since Dark City in 1998.
  60. Nov 28, 2012
    UK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives a very affecting performance as Sam Bell, the troubled astronaut minor, and Kevin Spacey gives a very memorable performance as the voice of Bell's robot companion GERTY. In terms of the script, I felt that it was fairly well written - The dialogue was engaging and realistic. The special effects are very impressive, considering that this movie only had a 5 million dollar budget. Another aspect that I found to be fairly unique was the soundtrack. At the climax of this film I found myself whistling the movie's main theme song - something that is hard to get me to do. In the end, I feel that "Moon" is a worthy addition into the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre. It kept me interested throughout the film and even forced me ponder it's many convoluted ideas after it was over. Pretty cool stuff. Expand
  61. Jan 9, 2013
    Absolutely not in the same league as Blade Runner, Silent Running, 2001 etc., but Moon did affect me emotionally in a way that few films do. I saw it on TV over Christmas for the first time- no idea why it has taken me so long! My top films of all time are Blade Runner, Goodfellas and John Carpenter's The Thing, so you know the standard that I expect from my entertainment.

Moon starts
    slowly and builds so well, with Duncan Jones so confident that he allows us to see the surprises as part of the action, not as shocks (such as when Sam goes back into the crashed rover), that we are just carried along as Sam makes connection after connection.

I thought that Sam Rockwell's performance was going to be a disappointment but realised that the initial character was just another 'Sam' and that the actor had to keep other tricks 'up his sleeve' for later in the film. To play so many aspects of the same character was a tour de force.

The moon surface scenes were a little 'budget' in their execution but hey, this was an incredible achievement on such a small budget and, three days after watching it, I am still haunted by it. Very nice indeed.
  62. May 12, 2014
    "I'm Here To Help You Sam"

Well this is the second time i have watched MOON and i just have to say that this is now one of my favorite Sci-fi films ever. First time Director Duncan Jones absolutely nailed it when he made this film he proves that you don't need a large budget to make a masterpiece. With only a budget of 5 million dollars the special effects looked amazing iv'e seen
    movies with a 100m budget with worse effects that's just plain sad. Some of the scenes reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey like the one when classical music was playing and it shows a lengthy shot of the earth slowly rotating that for sure was a nod to 2001 at least it seemed like it to me.

The Performance by Sam Rockwell was flawless he is one of my top 25 favorite actors and he is for sure one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood even to this day despite the guy being in a lot of great movies. Kevin Spacey as GERTY might be just as awesome as Hal 9000 sure he doesn't freak out and kill Sam but i thought it was cool that they gave him a little face to display how we was feeling also Spacey's voice is bone chilling so he was perfect to voice GERTY. The Story was really depressing but thought-provoking and has one of the craziest twist that i did not see coming. Some people would call the film slow but i guess they just don't understand the beauty it takes to make a masterpiece and not just some everyday film that will end up getting lost in the genre. Look on any list about the best Sci-Fi films over that past decade and MOON will for sure be in the top ten.

Overall i give it a 8.5 Also the score for the film was simply beautiful.
  63. Jan 30, 2014
    A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7 year old child? a complete farce.. Expand
  64. Ozy
    Apr 15, 2014
    I really had no idea what this movie was about when it started on foxtel. I was about to leave for shopping but was stuck on the corner of the couch. My eyes were fixated on the screen, it wasn't long before I laid back and got into my usual couch potato position. If someone told me the story line before hand i would never have watched it. Im glad no one ever brought it up, it was brilliant. Sam Rockwell was so good in his performance. I was super glued to every detail of expression his face had to offer - he could have told that story with his face alone. Totally underrated by the experts and completely misunderstood by the user reviewers. It simply must be watched. Expand
  65. Oct 22, 2014
    Interesting setting, great plot and an amazing score. It's definitely not the kind of movie you expect in a sci-fi environment, but that also adds to the charm. Sadly overlooked a lot, but I can highly recommend Moon to anyone who can enjoy a great psychological thriller
  66. Nov 21, 2014
    Acting was solid from Rockwell and Spacey. Visuals were solid. Most of the writing was solid, but fairly predictable. I'm aware it's a hard line to walk, when you have a big twist. If you give away too many clues, the viewer that pays attention catches on too fast. If you don't give enough clues, the viewer that isn't paying close attention gets lost. This was definitely a case of the former.

Overall, a solid movie, but nothing amazing.

1. Reviewed by: Whitney Borup
    Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.