8.4

1. OwenO
    Aug 21, 2009
    A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7 year old child? a complete farce.. Expand
  2. JustinC
    Apr 25, 2010
    My favorite film of 2009, though i can understand it's slow pacing is not for everyone, especially those that see a 'sci-fi' movie like transformers or avatar as the top of the genre. if you need any reason to discount Peter Rainer's review in the Christian Science Monitor (lol?) than his absurd quote, know that he goes on to say sam rockwell is a bad actor.
  3. Nov 7, 2010
    Being such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise isBeing such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise is that he isn't alone at all. Something a bit different in a genre that often lacks originality, Moon is a must see noughties movie. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    One of the best films ever made, Sam Rockwell's performance is stella and without flaw. I loved the characters the story and the dialogue.The film industry will struggle to make a film this good ever again.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    1) If you like actions, this movie is not for you. It's a deep movie, where you should think not just watch.
    2) They had 5m$ and filmed a movie with story which is way better than Cameron's Avatar (237m$) 3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's. 4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's.
    4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big success as well.

If you like movies like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Mr Nobody" and "The shutter Island" you will deffiantly like the "Moon".

BUT. There is always But. If you like shooting and explosion- no, there won't be shooting and explosions in that movie.
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    Underrated, under the radar, under the surface. Unseen. Yet, one of the best out there. It takes a while to figure out what's going on, but you realize it was really there all along. Open your eyes, world. Find this film. Match the pieces of its puzzle. Enjoy.
  7. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    Finally, a sci-fi movie with a PLOT that works without attempting to dazzle the audience with special effects. I've been waiting for that. I particularly enjoyed the subtle subversion of certain conventions of the genre.
  8. Apr 3, 2013
    This movie is so good, it's easily made it to my top 10, maybe even top 5. It's plot is admittedly weak, but that's okay, I don't care. Instead, the superb acting creates a STORY, and its so compelling. One of those Sci-fi films in league with Blade Runner or Fahrenheit 451 than Star Wars; it makes you think and question. The story really is heartbreaking. Other reviews will say manyThis movie is so good, it's easily made it to my top 10, maybe even top 5. It's plot is admittedly weak, but that's okay, I don't care. Instead, the superb acting creates a STORY, and its so compelling. One of those Sci-fi films in league with Blade Runner or Fahrenheit 451 than Star Wars; it makes you think and question. The story really is heartbreaking. Other reviews will say many different things on this subject, but I would recommend at least seeing this movie to form your own opinion. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2013
    Watched Moon (2009), for the 1st. time, in 2013. One of the best Science Fiction films. I don't follow Academy Awards or Oscars, but if anyone deserved one; Sam Rockwell did. Basically he carried the movie by himself...it was awesome and engaging emotionally. Brilliant production.
  10. Aug 22, 2010
    A painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semiA painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semi forgotten. And the score by clint mansell (Requiem for a Dream) is absolutly brilliant. If you're bored by this film switch on Transformers ot Avatar and don't bother looking back! I respect peoples opinions but saying this is boring is like saying 'My Dinner With Andre' is uninteresting, Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    There is much to admire in this film; everything from Sam Rockwell
  12. Nov 17, 2012
    An absolute revival of the thought provoking, visionary science-fiction film, which has been dead since Dark City in 1998.
  13. NathanielR.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all this from a first-time director! No single element of this film stands out to me as being sub-par, it was simply a joy to behold the return of thinking-man's science fiction. I cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  14. RyanM.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that's not all cgi and over-the-top action scenes. Done in an old style, Kubrick-esque, style proves effective in many ways. Moody, creepy, gorgeous and inventive.
  15. PaulM
    Jan 31, 2010
    This is real science fiction for people who like to read the stuff.
  16. JamesH.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he will continue to make thought-provoking films and not get sucked into the Hollywood machine. BRAVO. Expand
  17. Plashingies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Started off boring, but in the end, it was worth it. Characters have personalities, and develop according to that. Them dying off gives you emotions. Plot is amazing, creative, and very interesting. To fully enjoy this movie, you must think.
  18. David
    Apr 4, 2010
    This was definitely one of the best sci fi movies ever. one that seems like any other space suspense movie but turns out to be incredibly shocking and mind blowing. Sam Rockwell gives amazing performances and Kevin Spacey as the voice of GERTY was great casting. And if you think you know the plot twist or what happens, be ready for a surprise.
  19. AlexH
    Jun 18, 2009
    Mr. Rockwell makes it look easy to pull of two fantastic performances. Moon is sure to be one of the summers most engrossing and intelligent films.
  20. EdwardK
    Aug 26, 2009
    You had to pay attention to understand everything that was happening, but it was well worth the effort.
  21. DaveB.n
    Sep 18, 2009
    Man, this one sure got short shrift... a little derivative, but still a great little film. if you like the 70s style sci-fi, definitely check it out. I wish there were more films like this instead of the slick, effects-laden shoot 'em up type of schlock.
  22. TylerD
    Jan 11, 2010
    This movie was absolutely brilliant. A very smart story, a very good twist, great character(s) and one of the best soundtracks to a movie that I've ever heard. This movie must be seen by, like Tom C. said, anyone who appreciates good film making on a small scale. Brilliant.
  23. HyperS
    Jan 14, 2010
    A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during and after viewing. Expand
  24. KevinP
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am not sure what else you want from a movie. I have watched it several times and cannot find the holes or the boredom that people speak of. It gets right what most of Hollywood gets wrong. Tell a good tight story, wrap it up well and let Sam Rockwell act his butt off. Sold.
  25. newtjj
    Feb 2, 2010
    Brilliant film. philosophical sci-fi; fans of 2001, Battlestar Galactica, etc. will enjoy, and anyone who likes theatre (plays, movies) that make you think. any reviewer who thought this movie boring cheated and never got past the first 15 minutes. watch to the end, it keeps getting more intriguing. subtle & beautiful. maybe too subtle for the Michael Bay/Transformers crowd.
  26. AaronW
    Feb 22, 2010
    "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers us an action-packed view of the future, the best science fiction is that which makes us think, wonder and question. Moon delivers on all accounts and provides us with a story that tears at the very fabric of who we are as humans. Sam Rockwell's tour-de-force performance aside, everything comes together here in a near perfect film. My only regret is that this film has not received the praise it is due. Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie) has directed a real masterpiece, and I truly wish that I'd seen it in its very short and limited theatrical run. Throw away any ideas of the science fiction genre you may have and see Moon as soon as you can. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  27. Mark
    Mar 14, 2010
    Well acted, thought provoking sci-fi. Trades on classics like 2001 and Blade Runner while offering a fresh spin. Shame on metacritic for giving away so much of the plot in their synopsis.
  28. Daron
    Mar 21, 2010
    Great Movie. Don't worry if you know the plot twist before seeing it, that's not where the impact comes from. So much better than the usual mind-numbing trash Hollywood pumps out.
  29. DavidR.
    Apr 27, 2010
    (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of technology in our lives. One thing I should say is that the synopsis above gives too much away. I was completely sucked into the plot when I realised what was going on - this would have been missed if I had read this beforehand! Expand
  30. Shawn
    Nov 3, 2009
    There are movies that make you think and then there are all the others. This movie is a sensible puzzle that is enjoyable to tinker with. I thought I had it figured out early on but was surprised later on. It has everything a good movie should have.
  31. RodrigoM.
    Dec 9, 2009
    It's a really original sci-fi, comparing to the sci-fis we see today. It doesn't just try to impress the audience with ray guns and large scale planets. It's simple and intriguing. I think that if it was a blockbuster, sam rockwell would easily be nominated for the Oscar.
  32. KipO
    Jun 18, 2009
    I very much enjoyed the story, tone, and how the story unfolded in this movie. It's not a perfect movie, but it engages your mind the whole way through. It's not a summer popcorn movie. It's a respectable drama/mystery set in a science fiction context.
  33. CindyC.
    Jul 17, 2009
    An intelligent sci-fi movie, a spectacular performance by Sam Rockwell, and a plot that keeps you guessing until the end.
  34. JonathanR
    Jul 31, 2009
    The reviews are wrong i was pleasantly surprised by this intelligent film definitely worth seeing.
  35. AaronG
    Aug 2, 2009
    An excellent example of what an indie film should be like. Focusing on the story and characters instead of fancy effects. A great flick to see if you don't mind some vulgar language. If it's playing near you, I recommend it.
  36. jeffa.
    Jan 18, 2010
    I can't believe how anyone could give this a lousy review. One of the most original, intriguing movies I've seen in ages. Check it out!
  37. MANDUDEBRO
    Jan 22, 2010
    Moon is a great film. It's premise is old school sci-fi with an amazing erie score. Focus in and use your brain and you'll see the genius of what the director was trying to show you.
  38. Alex
    Feb 15, 2010
    Wow. No need to even see the movie after that recap gave away every plot twist. Thanks, metacritic!
  39. bob
    Feb 17, 2010
    A fantastic film wonderfully presented. This is not a slow film but one which builds character relations flawlessly and in an intriguing way. A brilliant sci-fi story-line. Remember that it only scores a 67 and not in the 80's because of a couple of very poor reviews, but then if you want to take the christian "science" monitor seriously then thats your funeral.. i mean choice.
  40. PhilipJ
    Dec 22, 2009
    I had high hopes for this film after seeing the trailer and even though it wasnt what i expected i loved every minute of it. I really hope more intelligent sci-fi films come out now that District 9 and Moon has opened the door wich has been closed fo far too long.
  41. TimR.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Intelligent, well acted, well paced, moving; Mansell's score excellent as always.
  42. James
    Dec 29, 2009
    Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Well, it didn't confuse me, and I notice no-one else complained either. Be aware that you need to think about what's going on, as there's no fake hollywood-style exposition where it's all made clear for you; instead, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself. But all the information is there; if you're watching and you're not stupid it's all crystal clear - and fascinating. Don't listen to the idiots who said "it's boring" --- they are. Their "it's boring" is code phrase; it means "It didn't have car chases, explosions, guns or sex, gimme back my rambo or my star wars!!!" PS I found it hilarious and very telling that the lowest scoring review came from the oxymoronically named "Christian Science Monitor". Expand
  43. Seanismyname
    Oct 26, 2009
    I loved this. The use of tech scenery from 2OO1: A Space Odyssey and the "Bionic Woman" sound effects couple with the episodes of Mary Tyler Moore & Bewitched gave the film a classic feel. The acting was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a single actor portray two identical characters with such realistic individuality before. BRAVO!
  44. MIG
    Dec 7, 2009
    This is nothing short of a classic film, no ifs ands or buts.
  45. CapoR.
    Oct 28, 2009
    Two thumbs up, all the way up! Intelligent movie, well written. This is one of the films that will get stuck in your head for a long time.
  46. RobertK
    Jun 12, 2009
    I was fortunate enough to see this at SIFF. Sam Rockwell did a fantastic acting job. The story was engrossing, and the pacing was a slow boil. This was one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in years. Go see this!
  47. ChrisC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Could have been a smidge shorter, but overall a good story.
  48. AlC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fantastic film - no overdone hollywood trash. Brilliantly acted and directed with a haunting score. Sam Rockwell's acting is clean-cut and convincing, and in my opinion his best performance. Humour is well measured, but the film also proves to be moving and thought provoking. Despite the obvious 2001 undertones, do NOT go to see it expecting to witness a remake - Moon proves to Fantastic film - no overdone hollywood trash. Brilliantly acted and directed with a haunting score. Sam Rockwell's acting is clean-cut and convincing, and in my opinion his best performance. Humour is well measured, but the film also proves to be moving and thought provoking. Despite the obvious 2001 undertones, do NOT go to see it expecting to witness a remake - Moon proves to original, and feels very fresh. I'd seriously reccommend this film, whether youre a science fiction fan or not. Expand
  49. ChrisO
    Jul 26, 2009
    A good original story with shadings of past greats: Bladerunner, 2001, Alien etc., with a compelling and moving original plot. There are bits that I would have polished to help suspend disbelief which is critical for serious science fiction. The unexplained apparent earth gravity inside the main characters living quarters/workspace which suddenly becomes moon gravity everytime he goes A good original story with shadings of past greats: Bladerunner, 2001, Alien etc., with a compelling and moving original plot. There are bits that I would have polished to help suspend disbelief which is critical for serious science fiction. The unexplained apparent earth gravity inside the main characters living quarters/workspace which suddenly becomes moon gravity everytime he goes outside is annoying and could have been fixed with effects. Apart from that I highly enjoyed it. Apparently the director/writer Duncan Jones hopes to make a trillogy series with Moon as the opening act. I hope this becomes reality and that Mr. Jones can make a equal or better movie for part 2. Expand
  50. TomC.
    Sep 13, 2009
    Note: You will probably only like this if you appreciate great acting and good, quality films on a small-scale like I do. But don't worry, I'm not a super stuck-up "high art-films/ drama only" type of guy. When I'm back in California, I'm seeing Transformers 2! (Hey, I grew up with'em!)
  51. WinstonL.
    Sep 29, 2009
    Sam Rockwell is on my Oscar-watch.
  52. Aug 13, 2010
    great, minimalistic film that makes use of science fiction roots to provide an original and intriguing experience.
    Jones is someone to look out for, and I've always been a fan of Sam Rockwell so it is great to see him in a leading role
  53. Aug 25, 2010
    I live in Australia and watched the Moon movie tonight on Foxtel. This is the first time I knew the film existed. While watching it I thought it was made in the early 1970s. Even the "laptops" were bulky and outdated. Its amazing that they kept authentically to the old genre. It is a movie that makes you think about the future but sadly to say it seemed unsuited to a young audience.I live in Australia and watched the Moon movie tonight on Foxtel. This is the first time I knew the film existed. While watching it I thought it was made in the early 1970s. Even the "laptops" were bulky and outdated. Its amazing that they kept authentically to the old genre. It is a movie that makes you think about the future but sadly to say it seemed unsuited to a young audience. To me, however, in my 60s it was nostalgic. Collapse
  54. Aug 28, 2010
    Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

One day a gardener discovers that a large number of trees under her care, are not straight. "How did I forget the teachings of my father?" He asks. "You have to follow every day the growth of saplings, when you realize that a trailing straight trunk is the time to straighten wood suitable support. But you have to do it now or will be too late. "Teaching is definitely visionary.And a film can be far-sighted? It may be as far as is its director. The director of Moon (Duncan Jones) is, in my opinion, far-sighted. I hope, if I understand or at least I went to his thought that his clairvoyance not remain unheard.

Moon is not a film to hurry, to be seen again. Heard, listened. It should be savored and enjoyed slowly, as one would a fine wine. Without this, you realize that after initially lost the life of Sam (Sam Rockwell) you must follow it, because you can not live his play, can not remain indifferent to his story suddenly becomes bimodal. And then ... and then there's Kevin Spacey's voice Gerty. Gerty this AI right from the start of an essay on how it intends to occupy the space given. And then ... and then there are the music by Clint Mansell, bad, boy!

I hope, a new schedule for this film deserves it. Someone has argued the lack of special effects for stunning lack of money. But on ... who is able to score does not need to kick of branded footwear. However, Duncan Jones, its network has made because I think Moon is a film aesthetically pleasing and ethically responsible.

Gerty knows zero law of robotics?

Good Ciak!
  55. Aug 29, 2010
    A real gem. Moon is a small film and all the better for it, creating genuinely intimate feel the script has been crafted with wit and style to support a surprisingly intricate plot line. Sam Rockwell is excellent as ever and Duncan Jones surely shows enough here to suggest he has imagination along similar lines to Fincher or Nolan and will go on to greater things. Great fun.
  56. Nov 1, 2010
    Moon, defiitely starts of slow, and did not capture my attention for the first 20 minutes because I had no idea where it was going. Once it showed it's true colors though, it completely shined. I had no idea what to expect when putting in Moon to watch on blu-ray but was very pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend this movie to avid movie-goers, only if you want to think!
  57. Jun 14, 2012
    An absolutely wonderful film with an Oscar-worthy central performance my Rockwell. Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack was a cherry on top and the Space 1999-style effects only endeared it to me more!
  58. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    An excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer canAn excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer can understand him; it doesn't have to be action. The movie is proof that CGI isn't needed for everything - all the outside shots were done with models. And this first time director, Duncan Jones only had a small 5 million budget to use. Too bad it was a very limited release. Expand
  59. Oct 13, 2012
    Moon is a devastatingly sad sci-fi movie featuring an amazing performance from Sam Rockwell. This is intelligent, well thought out and written science fiction in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The fact that Moon survives such monumental comparisons strongly attests to how great a movie it is.
  60. Mar 31, 2011
    Brilliant acting by Sam Rockwell, and a director not afraid to utilize miniatures has resulted in one of the best Science-Fiction flicks recently released. If you havent seen Moon, you need to! This is a def. buy, if youre looking to own too!
  61. Jun 15, 2011
    Moon was a brilliant film. It isn't often that you see a film so thoughtfully concentrated on a single character's emotions. The storyline was great, despite having an inkling with regards to the twist fairly early on, and Sam Rockwell's superb performance combined with Clint Mansell's lovely music made the gem sparkle even more. It is honestly a pity that science-fiction films such asMoon was a brilliant film. It isn't often that you see a film so thoughtfully concentrated on a single character's emotions. The storyline was great, despite having an inkling with regards to the twist fairly early on, and Sam Rockwell's superb performance combined with Clint Mansell's lovely music made the gem sparkle even more. It is honestly a pity that science-fiction films such as this one don't receive near enough attention.

A great watch I strongly recommend to even the most avid of science-fiction fans.
  62. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    One of the two great science fiction movies to come out this year, District 9 being the other. It has a climax that'll make your head spin. I can't recommend this enough. Sam Rockwell is a revelation as astronaut Sam Bell just about to finish his three year stint on the moon which isn't all what it's cracked up to be.
  63. Nov 4, 2011
    An old-school SF classic, Sam's fight for sanity and the truth are mesmerizing to watch and the incorporation of Kevin Spacey in the movie lends an air of legitimacy, many have shunned this movie, calling it dull, boring and a hundred other negative terms, but its an incredibly intelligent film, one that demands your attention and thanks you for it, I loved it.
  64. Feb 6, 2012
    A masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of theA masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of the comments seem like that because otherwise you can't come opinions like that. That's why I never give a sh** on official critics. They have no idea what good and what's not... Watch it, worth it! Expand
  65. Apr 28, 2012
    As a fan of science fiction, I love it when a movie like Moon comes along. Instead of throwing in aliens and big explosions, Moon offers an engaging story with a great acting performance by Sam Rockwell. While certainly not action-packed, Moon is still a very interesting and enjoyable film. Duncan Jones' directorial debut, this movie manages to do a lot with its small budget. While theAs a fan of science fiction, I love it when a movie like Moon comes along. Instead of throwing in aliens and big explosions, Moon offers an engaging story with a great acting performance by Sam Rockwell. While certainly not action-packed, Moon is still a very interesting and enjoyable film. Duncan Jones' directorial debut, this movie manages to do a lot with its small budget. While the visuals are not as top notch as most other sci-fi movies, they get the job done. If you are a fan of smart science fiction, check this movie out. Expand
  66. Jun 29, 2012
    One of the most intriguing, visually dazzling science fiction movies in decades, what Moon lacks in pace, it makes up for in emotion and compassion. Completed under a rather minuscule budget of 5 million dollars, Duncan Jones' masterpiece asks an audience a rather simple question of the human condition - what would it be like to meet yourself? As well as this, Moon also poses importantOne of the most intriguing, visually dazzling science fiction movies in decades, what Moon lacks in pace, it makes up for in emotion and compassion. Completed under a rather minuscule budget of 5 million dollars, Duncan Jones' masterpiece asks an audience a rather simple question of the human condition - what would it be like to meet yourself? As well as this, Moon also poses important questions regarding the future of scientific developments, most notably the quest for alternative fuels and cloning, and the morality behind the operation of mega-corporations. As an audience, we are also treated to a stellar performance from Sam Rockwell, who plays a lonely helium-3 miner who is isolated from humanity for three years upon the Moon's barren surface, and a supreme musical composition from Clint Mansell which also contributes to the film's haunting atmosphere. Somehow, Moon manages to be both tragic and uplifting at the same time and it is this that enables the film to rank with the science fiction greats. Truly epic. Expand
  67. Mar 15, 2014
    This movie was amazing. Sam Bell, an astronaut collecting Earth's fuel source Helium-3 from the moon, is nearing the end of his 3-year contract and is excited to return home to his wife and child. The station has had communication problem that prevents Sam from contacting Earth in real-time (he sends pre-recorded messages) and his only form of social contact is a machine named GERTYThis movie was amazing. Sam Bell, an astronaut collecting Earth's fuel source Helium-3 from the moon, is nearing the end of his 3-year contract and is excited to return home to his wife and child. The station has had communication problem that prevents Sam from contacting Earth in real-time (he sends pre-recorded messages) and his only form of social contact is a machine named GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey) and occasional recorded messages from his wife. When Sam has an accident and his replacement arrives ahead of schedule, a lot of things do not seem to make sense, and Sam Bell begins to investigate what his station on the moon really is. Expand
  68. Nov 28, 2012
    UK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives aUK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives a very affecting performance as Sam Bell, the troubled astronaut minor, and Kevin Spacey gives a very memorable performance as the voice of Bell's robot companion GERTY. In terms of the script, I felt that it was fairly well written - The dialogue was engaging and realistic. The special effects are very impressive, considering that this movie only had a 5 million dollar budget. Another aspect that I found to be fairly unique was the soundtrack. At the climax of this film I found myself whistling the movie's main theme song - something that is hard to get me to do. In the end, I feel that "Moon" is a worthy addition into the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre. It kept me interested throughout the film and even forced me ponder it's many convoluted ideas after it was over. Pretty cool stuff. Expand
  69. Jan 30, 2014
    A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7 year old child? a complete farce.. Expand
  70. Ozy
    Apr 15, 2014
    I really had no idea what this movie was about when it started on foxtel. I was about to leave for shopping but was stuck on the corner of the couch. My eyes were fixated on the screen, it wasn't long before I laid back and got into my usual couch potato position. If someone told me the story line before hand i would never have watched it. Im glad no one ever brought it up, it wasI really had no idea what this movie was about when it started on foxtel. I was about to leave for shopping but was stuck on the corner of the couch. My eyes were fixated on the screen, it wasn't long before I laid back and got into my usual couch potato position. If someone told me the story line before hand i would never have watched it. Im glad no one ever brought it up, it was brilliant. Sam Rockwell was so good in his performance. I was super glued to every detail of expression his face had to offer - he could have told that story with his face alone. Totally underrated by the experts and completely misunderstood by the user reviewers. It simply must be watched. Expand
  71. Oct 22, 2014
    Interesting setting, great plot and an amazing score. It's definitely not the kind of movie you expect in a sci-fi environment, but that also adds to the charm. Sadly overlooked a lot, but I can highly recommend Moon to anyone who can enjoy a great psychological thriller
  72. Mar 13, 2015
    Sam Bell has spent the last three years working for Lunar mining precious gas to save Earth's energy crisis. Alone with only a computer, he has reflected on life and worked on his temper. Envisioning a return home, he suddenly experiences strange visions and occurrences. As he unravels the mystery, he discovers the life he has created for himself may not be his own. This movie has cleverSam Bell has spent the last three years working for Lunar mining precious gas to save Earth's energy crisis. Alone with only a computer, he has reflected on life and worked on his temper. Envisioning a return home, he suddenly experiences strange visions and occurrences. As he unravels the mystery, he discovers the life he has created for himself may not be his own. This movie has clever writing and good writing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Whitney Borup
    Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.