8.4

1. OwenO
    Aug 21, 2009
    A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7 year old child? a complete farce.. Expand
  2. JustinC
    Apr 25, 2010
    My favorite film of 2009, though i can understand it's slow pacing is not for everyone, especially those that see a 'sci-fi' movie like transformers or avatar as the top of the genre. if you need any reason to discount Peter Rainer's review in the Christian Science Monitor (lol?) than his absurd quote, know that he goes on to say sam rockwell is a bad actor.
  3. Nov 7, 2010
    Being such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise isBeing such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise is that he isn't alone at all. Something a bit different in a genre that often lacks originality, Moon is a must see noughties movie. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    One of the best films ever made, Sam Rockwell's performance is stella and without flaw. I loved the characters the story and the dialogue.The film industry will struggle to make a film this good ever again.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    1) If you like actions, this movie is not for you. It's a deep movie, where you should think not just watch.
    2) They had 5m$ and filmed a movie with story which is way better than Cameron's Avatar (237m$) 3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's. 4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's.
    4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big success as well.

If you like movies like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Mr Nobody" and "The shutter Island" you will deffiantly like the "Moon".

BUT. There is always But. If you like shooting and explosion- no, there won't be shooting and explosions in that movie.
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    Underrated, under the radar, under the surface. Unseen. Yet, one of the best out there. It takes a while to figure out what's going on, but you realize it was really there all along. Open your eyes, world. Find this film. Match the pieces of its puzzle. Enjoy.
  7. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    Finally, a sci-fi movie with a PLOT that works without attempting to dazzle the audience with special effects. I've been waiting for that. I particularly enjoyed the subtle subversion of certain conventions of the genre.
  8. Apr 3, 2013
    This movie is so good, it's easily made it to my top 10, maybe even top 5. It's plot is admittedly weak, but that's okay, I don't care. Instead, the superb acting creates a STORY, and its so compelling. One of those Sci-fi films in league with Blade Runner or Fahrenheit 451 than Star Wars; it makes you think and question. The story really is heartbreaking. Other reviews will say manyThis movie is so good, it's easily made it to my top 10, maybe even top 5. It's plot is admittedly weak, but that's okay, I don't care. Instead, the superb acting creates a STORY, and its so compelling. One of those Sci-fi films in league with Blade Runner or Fahrenheit 451 than Star Wars; it makes you think and question. The story really is heartbreaking. Other reviews will say many different things on this subject, but I would recommend at least seeing this movie to form your own opinion. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2013
    Watched Moon (2009), for the 1st. time, in 2013. One of the best Science Fiction films. I don't follow Academy Awards or Oscars, but if anyone deserved one; Sam Rockwell did. Basically he carried the movie by himself...it was awesome and engaging emotionally. Brilliant production.
  10. Aug 22, 2010
    A painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semiA painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semi forgotten. And the score by clint mansell (Requiem for a Dream) is absolutly brilliant. If you're bored by this film switch on Transformers ot Avatar and don't bother looking back! I respect peoples opinions but saying this is boring is like saying 'My Dinner With Andre' is uninteresting, Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    There is much to admire in this film; everything from Sam Rockwell
  12. Nov 17, 2012
    An absolute revival of the thought provoking, visionary science-fiction film, which has been dead since Dark City in 1998.
  13. NathanielR.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all this from a first-time director! No single element of this film stands out to me as being sub-par, it was simply a joy to behold the return of thinking-man's science fiction. I cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  14. RyanM.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that's not all cgi and over-the-top action scenes. Done in an old style, Kubrick-esque, style proves effective in many ways. Moody, creepy, gorgeous and inventive.
  15. PaulM
    Jan 31, 2010
    This is real science fiction for people who like to read the stuff.
  16. JamesH.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he will continue to make thought-provoking films and not get sucked into the Hollywood machine. BRAVO. Expand
  17. Plashingies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Started off boring, but in the end, it was worth it. Characters have personalities, and develop according to that. Them dying off gives you emotions. Plot is amazing, creative, and very interesting. To fully enjoy this movie, you must think.
  18. David
    Apr 4, 2010
    This was definitely one of the best sci fi movies ever. one that seems like any other space suspense movie but turns out to be incredibly shocking and mind blowing. Sam Rockwell gives amazing performances and Kevin Spacey as the voice of GERTY was great casting. And if you think you know the plot twist or what happens, be ready for a surprise.
  19. AlexH
    Jun 18, 2009
    Mr. Rockwell makes it look easy to pull of two fantastic performances. Moon is sure to be one of the summers most engrossing and intelligent films.
  20. EdwardK
    Aug 26, 2009
    You had to pay attention to understand everything that was happening, but it was well worth the effort.
  21. DaveB.n
    Sep 18, 2009
    Man, this one sure got short shrift... a little derivative, but still a great little film. if you like the 70s style sci-fi, definitely check it out. I wish there were more films like this instead of the slick, effects-laden shoot 'em up type of schlock.
  22. TylerD
    Jan 11, 2010
    This movie was absolutely brilliant. A very smart story, a very good twist, great character(s) and one of the best soundtracks to a movie that I've ever heard. This movie must be seen by, like Tom C. said, anyone who appreciates good film making on a small scale. Brilliant.
  23. HyperS
    Jan 14, 2010
    A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during and after viewing. Expand
  24. KevinP
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am not sure what else you want from a movie. I have watched it several times and cannot find the holes or the boredom that people speak of. It gets right what most of Hollywood gets wrong. Tell a good tight story, wrap it up well and let Sam Rockwell act his butt off. Sold.
  25. newtjj
    Feb 2, 2010
    Brilliant film. philosophical sci-fi; fans of 2001, Battlestar Galactica, etc. will enjoy, and anyone who likes theatre (plays, movies) that make you think. any reviewer who thought this movie boring cheated and never got past the first 15 minutes. watch to the end, it keeps getting more intriguing. subtle & beautiful. maybe too subtle for the Michael Bay/Transformers crowd.
  26. AaronW
    Feb 22, 2010
    "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers us an action-packed view of the future, the best science fiction is that which makes us think, wonder and question. Moon delivers on all accounts and provides us with a story that tears at the very fabric of who we are as humans. Sam Rockwell's tour-de-force performance aside, everything comes together here in a near perfect film. My only regret is that this film has not received the praise it is due. Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie) has directed a real masterpiece, and I truly wish that I'd seen it in its very short and limited theatrical run. Throw away any ideas of the science fiction genre you may have and see Moon as soon as you can. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  27. Mark
    Mar 14, 2010
    Well acted, thought provoking sci-fi. Trades on classics like 2001 and Blade Runner while offering a fresh spin. Shame on metacritic for giving away so much of the plot in their synopsis.
  28. Daron
    Mar 21, 2010
    Great Movie. Don't worry if you know the plot twist before seeing it, that's not where the impact comes from. So much better than the usual mind-numbing trash Hollywood pumps out.
  29. DavidR.
    Apr 27, 2010
    (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of technology in our lives. One thing I should say is that the synopsis above gives too much away. I was completely sucked into the plot when I realised what was going on - this would have been missed if I had read this beforehand! Expand
  30. Shawn
    Nov 3, 2009
    There are movies that make you think and then there are all the others. This movie is a sensible puzzle that is enjoyable to tinker with. I thought I had it figured out early on but was surprised later on. It has everything a good movie should have.

1. Reviewed by: Whitney Borup
    Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.