Moon

8.4

1. NathanielR.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all this from a first-time director! No single element of this film stands out to me as being sub-par, it was simply a joy to behold the return of thinking-man's science fiction. I cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  2. Plashingies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Started off boring, but in the end, it was worth it. Characters have personalities, and develop according to that. Them dying off gives you emotions. Plot is amazing, creative, and very interesting. To fully enjoy this movie, you must think.
  3. David
    Apr 4, 2010
    This was definitely one of the best sci fi movies ever. one that seems like any other space suspense movie but turns out to be incredibly shocking and mind blowing. Sam Rockwell gives amazing performances and Kevin Spacey as the voice of GERTY was great casting. And if you think you know the plot twist or what happens, be ready for a surprise.
  4. TylerD
    Jan 11, 2010
    This movie was absolutely brilliant. A very smart story, a very good twist, great character(s) and one of the best soundtracks to a movie that I've ever heard. This movie must be seen by, like Tom C. said, anyone who appreciates good film making on a small scale. Brilliant.
  5. KevinP
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am not sure what else you want from a movie. I have watched it several times and cannot find the holes or the boredom that people speak of. It gets right what most of Hollywood gets wrong. Tell a good tight story, wrap it up well and let Sam Rockwell act his butt off. Sold.
  6. Daron
    Mar 21, 2010
    Great Movie. Don't worry if you know the plot twist before seeing it, that's not where the impact comes from. So much better than the usual mind-numbing trash Hollywood pumps out.
  7. jeffa.
    Jan 18, 2010
    I can't believe how anyone could give this a lousy review. One of the most original, intriguing movies I've seen in ages. Check it out!
  8. bob
    Feb 17, 2010
    A fantastic film wonderfully presented. This is not a slow film but one which builds character relations flawlessly and in an intriguing way. A brilliant sci-fi story-line. Remember that it only scores a 67 and not in the 80's because of a couple of very poor reviews, but then if you want to take the christian "science" monitor seriously then thats your funeral.. i mean choice.
  9. JustinC
    Apr 25, 2010
    My favorite film of 2009, though i can understand it's slow pacing is not for everyone, especially those that see a 'sci-fi' movie like transformers or avatar as the top of the genre. if you need any reason to discount Peter Rainer's review in the Christian Science Monitor (lol?) than his absurd quote, know that he goes on to say sam rockwell is a bad actor.
  10. TimR.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Intelligent, well acted, well paced, moving; Mansell's score excellent as always.
  11. James
    Dec 29, 2009
    Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Well, it didn't confuse me, and I notice no-one else complained either. Be aware that you need to think about what's going on, as there's no fake hollywood-style exposition where it's all made clear for you; instead, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself. But all the information is there; if you're watching and you're not stupid it's all crystal clear - and fascinating. Don't listen to the idiots who said "it's boring" --- they are. Their "it's boring" is code phrase; it means "It didn't have car chases, explosions, guns or sex, gimme back my rambo or my star wars!!!" PS I found it hilarious and very telling that the lowest scoring review came from the oxymoronically named "Christian Science Monitor". Expand
  12. CapoR.
    Oct 28, 2009
    Two thumbs up, all the way up! Intelligent movie, well written. This is one of the films that will get stuck in your head for a long time.
  13. RobertK
    Jun 12, 2009
    I was fortunate enough to see this at SIFF. Sam Rockwell did a fantastic acting job. The story was engrossing, and the pacing was a slow boil. This was one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in years. Go see this!
  14. AlC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fantastic film - no overdone hollywood trash. Brilliantly acted and directed with a haunting score. Sam Rockwell's acting is clean-cut and convincing, and in my opinion his best performance. Humour is well measured, but the film also proves to be moving and thought provoking. Despite the obvious 2001 undertones, do NOT go to see it expecting to witness a remake - Moon proves to Fantastic film - no overdone hollywood trash. Brilliantly acted and directed with a haunting score. Sam Rockwell's acting is clean-cut and convincing, and in my opinion his best performance. Humour is well measured, but the film also proves to be moving and thought provoking. Despite the obvious 2001 undertones, do NOT go to see it expecting to witness a remake - Moon proves to original, and feels very fresh. I'd seriously reccommend this film, whether youre a science fiction fan or not. Expand
  15. WinstonL.
    Sep 29, 2009
    Sam Rockwell is on my Oscar-watch.
  16. Aug 22, 2010
    A painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semiA painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semi forgotten. And the score by clint mansell (Requiem for a Dream) is absolutly brilliant. If you're bored by this film switch on Transformers ot Avatar and don't bother looking back! I respect peoples opinions but saying this is boring is like saying 'My Dinner With Andre' is uninteresting, Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2010
    I live in Australia and watched the Moon movie tonight on Foxtel. This is the first time I knew the film existed. While watching it I thought it was made in the early 1970s. Even the "laptops" were bulky and outdated. Its amazing that they kept authentically to the old genre. It is a movie that makes you think about the future but sadly to say it seemed unsuited to a young audience.I live in Australia and watched the Moon movie tonight on Foxtel. This is the first time I knew the film existed. While watching it I thought it was made in the early 1970s. Even the "laptops" were bulky and outdated. Its amazing that they kept authentically to the old genre. It is a movie that makes you think about the future but sadly to say it seemed unsuited to a young audience. To me, however, in my 60s it was nostalgic. Expand
  18. Aug 28, 2010
    Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

One day a gardener discovers that a large number of trees under her care, are not straight. "How did I forget the teachings of my father?" He asks. "You have to follow every day the growth of saplings, when you realize that a trailing straight trunk is the time to straighten wood suitable support. But you have to do it now or will be too late. "Teaching is definitely visionary.And a film can be far-sighted? It may be as far as is its director. The director of Moon (Duncan Jones) is, in my opinion, far-sighted. I hope, if I understand or at least I went to his thought that his clairvoyance not remain unheard.

Moon is not a film to hurry, to be seen again. Heard, listened. It should be savored and enjoyed slowly, as one would a fine wine. Without this, you realize that after initially lost the life of Sam (Sam Rockwell) you must follow it, because you can not live his play, can not remain indifferent to his story suddenly becomes bimodal. And then ... and then there's Kevin Spacey's voice Gerty. Gerty this AI right from the start of an essay on how it intends to occupy the space given. And then ... and then there are the music by Clint Mansell, bad, boy!

I hope, a new schedule for this film deserves it. Someone has argued the lack of special effects for stunning lack of money. But on ... who is able to score does not need to kick of branded footwear. However, Duncan Jones, its network has made because I think Moon is a film aesthetically pleasing and ethically responsible.

Gerty knows zero law of robotics?

Good Ciak!
  19. Dec 31, 2012
    There is much to admire in this film; everything from Sam Rockwell
  20. HLB
    Sep 21, 2015
    After watching this movie I have to vent my sense of wonder. The minimalistic action and also minimalistic music reminds me of the first time I saw 2001. In this film the scope is very limited in timescale, but the development of the idea is so intense that I relived the feelings I had when I read my first SF classics 50 years ago.
  21. Jun 14, 2012
    An absolutely wonderful film with an Oscar-worthy central performance my Rockwell. Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack was a cherry on top and the Space 1999-style effects only endeared it to me more!
  22. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    An excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer canAn excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer can understand him; it doesn't have to be action. The movie is proof that CGI isn't needed for everything - all the outside shots were done with models. And this first time director, Duncan Jones only had a small 5 million budget to use. Too bad it was a very limited release. Expand
  23. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    One of the two great science fiction movies to come out this year, District 9 being the other. It has a climax that'll make your head spin. I can't recommend this enough. Sam Rockwell is a revelation as astronaut Sam Bell just about to finish his three year stint on the moon which isn't all what it's cracked up to be.
  24. Aug 19, 2011
    One of the best films ever made, Sam Rockwell's performance is stella and without flaw. I loved the characters the story and the dialogue.The film industry will struggle to make a film this good ever again.
  25. Dec 31, 2011
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    1) If you like actions, this movie is not for you. It's a deep movie, where you should think not just watch.
    2) They had 5m$ and filmed a movie with story which is way better than Cameron's Avatar (237m$) 3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's. 4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big
    This is very overrated film, by those who prefers more "Pew-pew".
    3) The music and the acting is godlike. Still listening to Clint Mansell's.
    4) It was filmed in 33 days, it's a big success as well.

If you like movies like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Mr Nobody" and "The shutter Island" you will deffiantly like the "Moon".

BUT. There is always But. If you like shooting and explosion- no, there won't be shooting and explosions in that movie.
  26. Dec 16, 2011
    Underrated, under the radar, under the surface. Unseen. Yet, one of the best out there. It takes a while to figure out what's going on, but you realize it was really there all along. Open your eyes, world. Find this film. Match the pieces of its puzzle. Enjoy.
  27. Feb 6, 2012
    A masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of theA masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of the comments seem like that because otherwise you can't come opinions like that. That's why I never give a sh** on official critics. They have no idea what good and what's not... Watch it, worth it! Expand
  28. Nov 17, 2012
    An absolute revival of the thought provoking, visionary science-fiction film, which has been dead since Dark City in 1998.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    UK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives aUK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives a very affecting performance as Sam Bell, the troubled astronaut minor, and Kevin Spacey gives a very memorable performance as the voice of Bell's robot companion GERTY. In terms of the script, I felt that it was fairly well written - The dialogue was engaging and realistic. The special effects are very impressive, considering that this movie only had a 5 million dollar budget. Another aspect that I found to be fairly unique was the soundtrack. At the climax of this film I found myself whistling the movie's main theme song - something that is hard to get me to do. In the end, I feel that "Moon" is a worthy addition into the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre. It kept me interested throughout the film and even forced me ponder it's many convoluted ideas after it was over. Pretty cool stuff. Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    Watched Moon (2009), for the 1st. time, in 2013. One of the best Science Fiction films. I don't follow Academy Awards or Oscars, but if anyone deserved one; Sam Rockwell did. Basically he carried the movie by himself...it was awesome and engaging emotionally. Brilliant production.

Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.