8.0

1. Oct 15, 2014
    Simply left me speechless. One of the best films I've seen. Odd, sweet, funny, and finally we see Bruce Willis acting well. The characters are caricatures and don't even realise it. The typically Andersonian style of cinematography is unbelievably colourful. It doesn't have a specific point and isn't trying to have one.
    The score by Desplat is marvellous. Better than the Tenenbaums.
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Moonrise Kingdom is a magical journey painted by Wes Anderson and his partner-in-crime Roman Coppola. In addition to being one of Anderson's most stunning films, it is also unbelievably special. Moonrise is some of the best writing, directing and acting of the year.
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    As one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberatelyAs one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberately outrageous action, and surreal visuals is a story that actually proves to be quite touching, and universally appealing. Therefore, the movie left me in tears by the conclusion, and I could not tell if it was the comedy or the heartfelt story that was the cause. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    This is my favourite movie of all time. It's beautifully shot, impeccably scripted, and perfectly acted. I've easily seen this 7 times and can't wait until the next viewing.
  5. Dec 3, 2013
    This absolutely a wonderful piece of art. I am still in shock it was snubbed by the academy. Beautifully shot, magical art direction, well cast and portrayed, intelligent score and charming story.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Being young is not the complicated phase in the film but following your heart in every decision. This film gives a lot of colors that enable everyone to come in to and feel the chills and thrills.
  7. Oct 23, 2013
    Wes Anderson's best in my opinion. Typical style with the weird quirky humor and oddness but done amazingly well. Love his movies and this one is his masterpiece I think.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    A visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's moreA visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's more unique, more relatable, less boring. However, the only thing I can say that will take away from the film is that some people who do not like ofver the top artsy films, you may want to skip this one. Expand
  9. Sep 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is one of those movies that sticks with you or a long time, if not forever. The performances and sweet, quirky themes just leave you feline hint melancholy and a hint of happiness. And it's also fun to watch a critically-acclaimed movie where the lead actor lives behind one of your best friends!
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    This film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. IThis film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone though I think that some people may not like this film. It depends on what some people like. However, I loved that movie and I would like to watch it again if I have the chance. A must-watch film that should have more nominations to the Oscar awards. Thumbs up!! Expand
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand,It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand, Edward Norton was more in his element in this film, where he plays a soft, clumsy person, than he was in other movies he did such as The Incredible Hulk and Fight Club. Additionally everything in this film seems to have been made dead and cold which is a good thing as it achieved to appear surreal. The music was mostly classical but together with the whimsical sets and costumes a very dreamy and poignant version of the 60's is formed. The lack of expression of really strong feelings even though some might say it's not usual for a film therefore risky and unlikely to be well-received, I believe is a futuristic art form, way ahead of our time. Moonrise Kingdom is about to become a prototype for many other films to come. Expand
  12. Apr 18, 2013
    A wonderfully darkened piece from Anderson's bag. According to me, it's the best Anderson movie so far. You can sue me for saying this, but it's also probably the best of 2012. Loved the craftsmanship. Loved the acting. Loved the quirky camera movements. Loved the story. Oh hell! What am I talking about! Loved the whole thing!!!!
  13. Mar 23, 2013
    Loved this movie. If you can have the patience to sit through it all its a truley wonderful film. everything from the scenery, costumes, script all amazing. I truley love this director.
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    Great movie. Period. Enjoyed every second of it. Solid soundtrack, great script, great acting, one of Wes Anderson's best films yet. Cannot wait for his next flick.
  15. Jan 27, 2013
    Although i usually like to troll directors inert to stylistic changes and evolution, W. Anderson always manages to sneak up. And now, i must confirm that Moonrise Kingdom is an extra quality piece of Anderson's craftsmanship.
  16. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    The more I see of the end-of-year blockbusters destined for awards, the more I appreciate this quirky, sweet film destined to be enjoyed and eventually watched again. The actors seemed to have fun and the viewer does, too. Giving it a 9 only because (in my opinion) it's not as great as "The Royal Tenenbaums."
  17. Zal
    Dec 20, 2012
    This is definitely one of those movies you either love or hate. Personally, I loved it. Admittedly, it's kind of kitschy, but that's not always a bad thing. It's a colorful movie both in its color pallet and its characters. I especially loved seeing Bruce Willis playing a cop who's nothing like John McClane.

Moonrise Kingdom is sweet and simple. I haven't seen Wes Anderson's other

Moonrise Kingdom is sweet and simple. I haven't seen Wes Anderson's other movies but if they're anything like this, I definitely will.
  18. Dec 19, 2012
    some plot revealed in this preview.

some plot revealed in this preview.

This film is brilliant! It is a simple story on the cover: Orphan boy doesn't really fit anywhere, finds another person in life who doesn't really fit in as well. Together they find love and peace in each other, as well as acceptance and understanding. On the back of the story, we have the adults. The adults in this film show what is wrong with the world and society and its impact on our youth. The influences the Adults in the movie have directly affect the children, not so much psychologically but socially and emotionally. Its a pretty heart warming story giving you some great insight into a world of reality where children really understand more than adults realize. The movie has many layers of which to unfold. life in general; In the end, all people want is to find a balance and a happiness. this movie does an excellent job of showing the process, among many other lessons to be learned! I recommend this film for everyone! Anyone who has had some form of struggle with life should be able to relate to this movie and story.
  19. Dec 19, 2012
    A vedere il miglior film per ragazzi dell
  20. Dec 15, 2012
    The story itself is already fascinating, but it doesn't hurt at all that its misfit characters' journey is beautifully told by the quintessential filmmaker of the misfits. Moonrise Kingdom is one of those few cases in which bold formalism doesn't lead to a cold time at the movies. Actually, it's all the opposite.
  21. Dec 13, 2012
    If 'Moonrise Kingdom' falls short of being a masterpiece, it isn't by much. It is a quirky, idiosyncratic work from one of the best directors working today, Wes Anderson, whom I believe should never stop making movies. Striking to look at and meticulously crafted, Anderson also gets points for capturing young love with a sense of innocence and intimacy that I haven't seen in any other filmIf 'Moonrise Kingdom' falls short of being a masterpiece, it isn't by much. It is a quirky, idiosyncratic work from one of the best directors working today, Wes Anderson, whom I believe should never stop making movies. Striking to look at and meticulously crafted, Anderson also gets points for capturing young love with a sense of innocence and intimacy that I haven't seen in any other film before. Not to mention that it happens to be one of the funniest films to come out this year. Amazing performances are abound, but the most affecting one comes from Bruce Willis in an against type, more subdued role that was intriguing to watch him dig into. There is a warmth and sacrifice to this man, a grace in his outlook on life, that makes him quite the unexpected hero (not in the action-movie sense that one would assume coming from Willis). And if only one thing could be said, 'Moonrise Kingdom' is hugely entertaining. It's a real crowd-pleaser when you get down to it, especially for those who are unassociated with most of Anderson's work before this. I would even say that it is THE Anderson movie, both for fans of him and those who are looking to get into his style. One of the best films of 2012, and is the most heartwarming and funny by a mile. Expand
  22. Dec 3, 2012
    beautiful film. The people that are talking smack about this film are so stupid it makes me sick to my stomach. Someone even talked about pedophilia. OMG people can be so stupid I just want to punch them in the face.
  23. Nov 24, 2012
    This was the first Wes Anderson movie I have seen, and I loved it. You know, it just shows you love can start at any age and last for an eternity. The filming was great. The actors were outstanding. The boy, Jared Gilman and the girl, Kara Hayward were so funny and I hope I see them in more films. Its just a fun filled loving movie that I will definitely watch again sometime.
  24. Nov 24, 2012
    Quirky and high-concept, this film could easily become an exercise in style over substance. It is both beautifully mannered and unreal but it's also unexpectedly engaging. The soundtrack, featuring Benjamin Britten, Hank Williams and in one key scene Francoise Hardy, is a joy. The actors hold the story together even when the action becomes quite overwhelming. This film well exceeded myQuirky and high-concept, this film could easily become an exercise in style over substance. It is both beautifully mannered and unreal but it's also unexpectedly engaging. The soundtrack, featuring Benjamin Britten, Hank Williams and in one key scene Francoise Hardy, is a joy. The actors hold the story together even when the action becomes quite overwhelming. This film well exceeded my expectations. Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2012
    Even though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funnyEven though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funny and very entertaining, with Bill Murray stealing the show at times. Part of the humor comes from the fact that the characters take themselves more seriously than we think they should. Yet the characters are sympathetic and feel realistic. The story can certainly pride itself in being unpredictable. The cinematography is simple yet elegant. Definitely see Moonrise Kingdom. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before. There, I said it. The trailers for Moonrise Kingdom made it look like a quirky, fun film with a great cast and worth a look.
    What's it all about? Set on a peacefully quiet island off the coast of New England, two children, having only met once, set their pen-mail devised plan to runaway together into action. This leads to
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Set on a peacefully quiet island off the coast of New England, two children, having only met once, set their pen-mail devised plan to runaway together into action. This leads to the islands eccentric inhabitants launching their own search and rescue mission to track down the wayward pair before a storm closes in. Should you watch it?
    Quite simply, yes. Moonrise Kingdom is beautifully shot, Anderson uses rich warm colours throughout and the film has such a retro feel to go with the 60s setting. The opening credits sequence was spellbinding and the film rarely lets go from there onwards. The cast is fantastic, the two young leads give performances that belies their youth and are supported by a brilliantly deadpan Bruce Willis character, Edward Norton, Billy Murray, Tilda Swinton and cameos from Jason Schwartzmann and Harvey Keitel.

The budding runaways

The screenplay is charming yet not without some serious undertones, in particular each child's motives for leaving but the film's offbeat humour (Swinton plays a character literally called 'Social Services') never lets the mood fall away from any other than pure adventure. Make no doubt that the children's naivety and innocence are the highlight of the film. The moment they meet up, Sam orders an inventory their equipment which includes an air rifle, a cat and six books before handing over some flowers to his young love. He later warns Suzy that he may wet the bed inside their tent. I'm reluctant to say anything further so as not to spoil the film for others.

Kingdom is supported by a score of classical music that fits perfectly with the eccentric nature of most characters and the old feel of the film.

A must see, and not just for Wes Anderson fans (as I mentioned I hadn't seen any of his films beforehand).
  27. Nov 4, 2012
    A film filled with simple pleasures. Wes Anderson films are an acquired taste. Like all acquired tastes, you can understand why other people don't enjoy them, but you pity them for it.
  28. Nov 3, 2012
    All well(direction,actors and screenplay).The boy made mistakes but he solved it too fast;it's a great character.It's better than Skyfall and one of the best romance movies I ever seen.
  29. Nov 3, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is probably Wes Anderson's most accomplished movie... Everything is beautiful : the colors are dreamlike, the music is exuding the 60 's and the scenario joyfully childish. Did I forget to mention how good every actor ?

If I had one movie to take on a desert island, it would definitely be this one !
  30. Nov 1, 2012
    This movie is great, I went in not knowing anything about it, and was very glad I saw it. Its certainly different and very interesting. Recommend to anyone

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).