Focus Features | Release Date: May 25, 2012
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 666 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DemonDan13Dec 28, 2016
One of the most endearing movies I have seen in years. Wes Anderson and crew bring about another cinematically perfect film. Everyone is at the top of their game here, as they search for a missing cub scout and his "wife."
shiftworkerAug 22, 2016
Quirky little gem with some sharp direction and visually beautiful scenes. Raised the occasional wry smile on my tired old face and at the end left me with the warm satisfied feeling of just having eaten a hearty meal. This movie made meQuirky little gem with some sharp direction and visually beautiful scenes. Raised the occasional wry smile on my tired old face and at the end left me with the warm satisfied feeling of just having eaten a hearty meal. This movie made me think about watching it again some day quite soon, maybe with my wife and son. Mmmm. Expand
Graham433Jun 12, 2016
Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite film ever. I saw it when I was 8 and now I am currently 11. Over the past 3 years it has stayed on the top of my list because of its beautiful cinematography and its outstanding storyline/plot. This movie isMoonrise Kingdom is my favorite film ever. I saw it when I was 8 and now I am currently 11. Over the past 3 years it has stayed on the top of my list because of its beautiful cinematography and its outstanding storyline/plot. This movie is about a boy and a girl who run away with each other. Overall, my favorite movie ever. Expand
audreythomas25Jan 29, 2016
Moonrise Kingdom may be a light summer entrée, but it rewards us by serving up a rich romantic fantasy and isn't afraid to share its sweet, beating young heart.

Watch this here

Watch this here http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29b96d-Moonrise-Kingdom-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
smartmartSep 20, 2015
Wes Anderson is a heavily stylized director and those who hate his signature style should certainly stay away. I, personally, love the signature Anderson style, and this is a wonderful film.
Although it has a few flaws, it is still a very
Although it has a few flaws, it is still a very great film, and it never feels the least bit lengthy or boring. It is always interesting and entertaining. Like any Anderson film, it is full of great comedic elements and great dramatic elements.
Overall, it is one of the best films I've seen from the 2010s, and it is highly recommended to any Wes Anderson fan.
nicholasbertOct 15, 2014
Simply left me speechless. One of the best films I've seen. Odd, sweet, funny, and finally we see Bruce Willis acting well. The characters are caricatures and don't even realise it. The typically Andersonian style of cinematography isSimply left me speechless. One of the best films I've seen. Odd, sweet, funny, and finally we see Bruce Willis acting well. The characters are caricatures and don't even realise it. The typically Andersonian style of cinematography is unbelievably colourful. It doesn't have a specific point and isn't trying to have one.
The score by Desplat is marvellous. Better than the Tenenbaums.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Moonrise Kingdom is a magical journey painted by Wes Anderson and his partner-in-crime Roman Coppola. In addition to being one of Anderson's most stunning films, it is also unbelievably special. Moonrise is some of the best writing, directingMoonrise Kingdom is a magical journey painted by Wes Anderson and his partner-in-crime Roman Coppola. In addition to being one of Anderson's most stunning films, it is also unbelievably special. Moonrise is some of the best writing, directing and acting of the year. Expand
SpangleMay 30, 2014
Wes Anderson is one of the best directors working today and this is yet another example of his greatness. Beautifully filmed throughout as usual, Anderson creates the perfect set for this film and really utilizes every tool at his disposal inWes Anderson is one of the best directors working today and this is yet another example of his greatness. Beautifully filmed throughout as usual, Anderson creates the perfect set for this film and really utilizes every tool at his disposal in terms of the location of this one. Every shot is truly more beautiful than the last. "Moonrise Kingdom" is a cute, quirky look at adolescent love. It gets a tad...awkward at times to watch, but throughout, you cannot help but smile and laugh as these two kids embark on this adventure with one another. In many films that focus on young people, the child actors are sometimes spotty with their acting, but here, both Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, though both just 12 at the time of filming, were remarkable. Their innocence shines through throughout. In addition to them, Bruce Willis and Edward Norton were fantastic, as were Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, and Jason Schwartzman, in what is a really star-studded and talented cast. Like many Anderson films, it is not riotously funny, but it certainly has its moments of pure comedy. A touching romantic fantasy adventure comedy, "Moonrise Kingdom" is yet another win for Anderson. Expand
StaticSpineApr 16, 2014
A rather odd movie, good one to watch, but a bit cheesy. The story is good, it has some depth, the actors are nice, the direction is decent. Overall, an okay movie if not that cheesiness.
poewilsonFeb 6, 2014
Wes Anderson admires young love in a way that most do not, or I suppose I should say that he admires youth and the youthful view as all his films have that adolescent glow about them as if he is forever locked in a state of arrestedWes Anderson admires young love in a way that most do not, or I suppose I should say that he admires youth and the youthful view as all his films have that adolescent glow about them as if he is forever locked in a state of arrested development. I for one am particularly swayed by his films and their upbeat take on a nihilistic world. Moonrise Kingdom follows the Anderson pantheon like every other member of his rag tag cult and even though you know everything that is going to take place you still in enjoy the ride.
I would give this film an 8.5 as a fan of the man's work, however the Poe scale suggest a 7.5 at best.
The Poe Scale
Acting: 1/2
Cinematography: 2/2
Editing: 1.5/2
Effects and Design 2/2
Writing: 1/2
XavierBlaqDec 26, 2013
As one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know whatAs one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberately outrageous action, and surreal visuals is a story that actually proves to be quite touching, and universally appealing. Therefore, the movie left me in tears by the conclusion, and I could not tell if it was the comedy or the heartfelt story that was the cause. Expand
lolklolklolDec 18, 2013
This is my favourite movie of all time. It's beautifully shot, impeccably scripted, and perfectly acted. I've easily seen this 7 times and can't wait until the next viewing.
cleverwabbitDec 3, 2013
This absolutely a wonderful piece of art. I am still in shock it was snubbed by the academy. Beautifully shot, magical art direction, well cast and portrayed, intelligent score and charming story.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
This movie was funny all the way throughout. It did center everything with corny acting from the kids, but so what? Much better than some other ones, I'll give you that. It's a love story, so some may find it unentertaining.
ToffenuffNov 3, 2013
I found this a rather odd movie, but a good one nonetheless. The characters and the plot are unique and memorable. Superb acting in my honest opinion from both the known actors and the younger ones. Well-paced and a fitting environment withI found this a rather odd movie, but a good one nonetheless. The characters and the plot are unique and memorable. Superb acting in my honest opinion from both the known actors and the younger ones. Well-paced and a fitting environment with nice scenery add to the mix. Won't say it's a must watch, but definitely something that people should look into if they like intelligent and quirky movies. Expand
jolocjoshua987Nov 2, 2013
Being young is not the complicated phase in the film but following your heart in every decision. This film gives a lot of colors that enable everyone to come in to and feel the chills and thrills.
RecoveryRxOct 23, 2013
Wes Anderson's best in my opinion. Typical style with the weird quirky humor and oddness but done amazingly well. Love his movies and this one is his masterpiece I think.
RecycledAirSep 24, 2013
A visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance ofA visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's more unique, more relatable, less boring. However, the only thing I can say that will take away from the film is that some people who do not like ofver the top artsy films, you may want to skip this one. Expand
MovieGuysSep 18, 2013
Moonrise Kingdom is one of those movies that sticks with you or a long time, if not forever. The performances and sweet, quirky themes just leave you feline hint melancholy and a hint of happiness. And it's also fun to watch aMoonrise Kingdom is one of those movies that sticks with you or a long time, if not forever. The performances and sweet, quirky themes just leave you feline hint melancholy and a hint of happiness. And it's also fun to watch a critically-acclaimed movie where the lead actor lives behind one of your best friends! Expand
TokyochuchuAug 3, 2013
Another Wes Anderson movie. Another excellent film. Moonrise Kingdom is about as typical of his style as you could ever want; static cuts, purposely awful (aka- charming) special effects and his trademarked breezy comedy. This time around,Another Wes Anderson movie. Another excellent film. Moonrise Kingdom is about as typical of his style as you could ever want; static cuts, purposely awful (aka- charming) special effects and his trademarked breezy comedy. This time around, though, the emotional thrust is a little less subdued and has a more visceral kick to it. And Edward Norton, an actor I've previously been nonplussed on, is absolutely brilliant here. Expand
KivaJun 26, 2013
This film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is moreThis film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone though I think that some people may not like this film. It depends on what some people like. However, I loved that movie and I would like to watch it again if I have the chance. A must-watch film that should have more nominations to the Oscar awards. Thumbs up!! Expand
TimeToRoamJun 7, 2013
It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could haveIt seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand, Edward Norton was more in his element in this film, where he plays a soft, clumsy person, than he was in other movies he did such as The Incredible Hulk and Fight Club. Additionally everything in this film seems to have been made dead and cold which is a good thing as it achieved to appear surreal. The music was mostly classical but together with the whimsical sets and costumes a very dreamy and poignant version of the 60's is formed. The lack of expression of really strong feelings even though some might say it's not usual for a film therefore risky and unlikely to be well-received, I believe is a futuristic art form, way ahead of our time. Moonrise Kingdom is about to become a prototype for many other films to come. Expand
ClariseSamuelsMay 18, 2013
Moonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answerMoonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For people who are not movie stars, politicians, or any other vocation that involves celebrity, who they are is based on what they do, or more significantly, what they do for others.

Director Wes Anderson explores the meaning of life when life is obscure and routine. And for all those anonymous individuals out there, there is one thing that lifts them all out of the world of the mundane and into the magical kingdom of the sun, the moon and the stars--that magical moment when the moon rises--and that is love. Norton's Scout Master Ward gets his love from the scouts who are entrusted to his care at the island summer camp. The sheriff, played soulfully by Bruce Willis, seeks a different kind of love from a married friend, who lives on the same island, but later realizes he is morally adrift, and in the end becomes a loving, adoptive father. Tilda Swinton's social worker has given up on love and she is almost a robot, until she too discovers that she can find love with acts of kindness toward others. Everyone who is bereft of love eventually finds some compensation in this 1965 setting that has all the hues of a Kodacolor snapshot. But there is one kind of love that is certain to lift everyone out of their ordinary lives and into magical realms and that is, of course, romantic passion. In this film, that kind of romantic passion is absurdly and almost ridiculously acted out by two 12-year-olds.

Pre-adolescent Sam (Jared Gilman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) meet at a school play on the island. Sam falls madly in love at first sight, pursues the object of his affections with love letters, and asks his paramour to run away with him. He leaves camp without authorization and she runs away from her parents' gingerbread house with the picture-perfect interior, and the hunt for the two runaway children begins, as the grown-ups get stressed out of their minds because the children are pretending to be adults. Sam is an expert scout, so they set up camp in various parts of their small island, where they get to explore the depths of their romance, which includes tentative, shy attempts at intimate behavior. When caught, they escape a second time and convince another scout master to marry them in a strictly symbolic ceremony, since they are too young to obtain a license. Sam then refers to 12-year-old Suzy as “my wife.” At a glance, it appears that the children are acting like adults, but in fact, this film intends to show that passion and romance are child's play, for even children can kiss, grope, and call each other husband and wife. It is indeed the grown-ups who act like children when they fall madly in love, and there is even something childish about the exclusivity of marriage, when it is born only of passion. That would explain the astronomical divorce rate, hovering at 40% and climbing, a failure rate that seems to be connected to the myth of undying romantic love.

If you grew up in the 1960's, you will wax nostalgic when you see a plastic record player that can be carried like a box with a handle. And remember when people smoked everywhere, even at breakfast? This time period also indicates a certain naivete, an immaturity on a global scale. In the end, the only love that endures is not egocentric love born of amorous passions, but the kind of love that is based on what we do for others. So, in order to wed like grown-ups, the only marriages that work are those committed either to raising the children, as shown by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand (playing Walt and Laura Bishop) in their shaky alliance that stays cemented because of the children and the profession of law to which they are both devoted--or marriages where two people use their synergistic energies to improve, further, and enlighten society at large. Anything else is a self-absorbed child's fantasy in an ephemeral kingdom filled with stardust, where there is no goal and no purpose, except perhaps to laugh, run, and chase the rising moon. And that is better left to 12-year-olds.
ArkaMukherjeeApr 18, 2013
A wonderfully darkened piece from Anderson's bag. According to me, it's the best Anderson movie so far. You can sue me for saying this, but it's also probably the best of 2012. Loved the craftsmanship. Loved the acting. Loved the quirkyA wonderfully darkened piece from Anderson's bag. According to me, it's the best Anderson movie so far. You can sue me for saying this, but it's also probably the best of 2012. Loved the craftsmanship. Loved the acting. Loved the quirky camera movements. Loved the story. Oh hell! What am I talking about! Loved the whole thing!!!! Expand
Andys_ReviewsApr 6, 2013
I love the look and feel of this film; yes, it’s got a lot of quirkiness, but that’s not allowed to overrun the narrative too much. The soundtrack also adds to the enjoyment in a way; it becomes part of the world these people inhabit. TheI love the look and feel of this film; yes, it’s got a lot of quirkiness, but that’s not allowed to overrun the narrative too much. The soundtrack also adds to the enjoyment in a way; it becomes part of the world these people inhabit. The very black and white sensibilities of children are explored here; everything it taken as a matter of fact and accepted without question. I found it quite refreshing in a way; it made a nice change from the brainless comedies I’m usually subjected to. All the performances were excellent with my top awards going to the two youngsters; Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman. Well worth a look if you haven’t seen it and (probably) well worth a re-watch if you have!

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
emsigMar 23, 2013
Loved this movie. If you can have the patience to sit through it all its a truley wonderful film. everything from the scenery, costumes, script all amazing. I truley love this director.
frankenstone420Feb 9, 2013
Great movie. Period. Enjoyed every second of it. Solid soundtrack, great script, great acting, one of Wes Anderson's best films yet. Cannot wait for his next flick.
PimploFeb 8, 2013
Película correcta, que mantiene las obsesiones de Anderson: colores, diálogos, actores. Lo nuevo son las actuaciones de la pareja de niños y los roles que cumplen, estos son personajes llenos de deseos que los adultos no entienden (a loPelícula correcta, que mantiene las obsesiones de Anderson: colores, diálogos, actores. Lo nuevo son las actuaciones de la pareja de niños y los roles que cumplen, estos son personajes llenos de deseos que los adultos no entienden (a lo Simona Vinci) y se espantan. Temáticamente una loa al amor, mas uno que incluye las roturas de la mirada insolente de la niñez Expand
MarkAngelJan 27, 2013
Although i usually like to troll directors inert to stylistic changes and evolution, W. Anderson always manages to sneak up. And now, i must confirm that Moonrise Kingdom is an extra quality piece of Anderson's craftsmanship.
SummersausageJan 6, 2013
This is just Wes Anderson at his best. A funny and cute screenplay that shows what it is like to be a kid and the theatricality of young love. If you like quirky movies that aren't the usual Kathrine Hiegel wreck then watch this. It willThis is just Wes Anderson at his best. A funny and cute screenplay that shows what it is like to be a kid and the theatricality of young love. If you like quirky movies that aren't the usual Kathrine Hiegel wreck then watch this. It will entertain you and give you a soft warm glow inside you. Expand