7.9

1. Mar 16, 2013
    Wes Anderson films are just not for me. This one has some really good performances including my favorite Edward Norton, but for me like all of Anderson's movies I got bored.
  2. Feb 9, 2013
    Great movie. Period. Enjoyed every second of it. Solid soundtrack, great script, great acting, one of Wes Anderson's best films yet. Cannot wait for his next flick.
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    Película correcta, que mantiene las obsesiones de Anderson: colores, diálogos, actores. Lo nuevo son las actuaciones de la pareja de niños y los roles que cumplen, estos son personajes llenos de deseos que los adultos no entienden (a lo Simona Vinci) y se espantan. Temáticamente una loa al amor, mas uno que incluye las roturas de la mirada insolente de la niñez
  4. Feb 8, 2013
    Didn't like the characters (the lead boy and girl), the flat 2D cinematography was nauseating (every shot is either side on, front on, top down, no angles, no depth), and the story was just a little too quirky for me, although I appreciate the attempt :)

Great cast, but ultimately the whole thing just felt like it was a movie made by a hipster, featuring hipsters, for hipsters.
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    Although i usually like to troll directors inert to stylistic changes and evolution, W. Anderson always manages to sneak up. And now, i must confirm that Moonrise Kingdom is an extra quality piece of Anderson's craftsmanship.
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom isn't a movie, its is a disgrace to movies. Never has a movie been so brainless coupled with one of the worst directing jobs i have ever seen. The movie ask if the boy and girl need mental help, the real question is whether the people who made the movie need mental help. A movie i never want to lay eyes on again.
  7. Jan 9, 2013
    While its beyond quirky and weird script, acting, and direction has been applauded by many, I fail to see what is exceptionally great about this film. The entire concept honestly seemed intriguing, but it just felt too...well that's just it...I don't know how to describe this film. I am not sure whether I thought it was a unique mediocre film or a complete blunder.
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    This is just Wes Anderson at his best. A funny and cute screenplay that shows what it is like to be a kid and the theatricality of young love. If you like quirky movies that aren't the usual Kathrine Hiegel wreck then watch this. It will entertain you and give you a soft warm glow inside you.
  9. Jan 2, 2013
    Unrestrained whimsey does not a narrative make. Self-conscious directing, formal presentational acting and a broad sense of humor that shifts gears in an ungainly way makes character after character into unlikable buffoons. Last time I'm bothering to watch a Wes Anderson film. If you loved The Life Aquatic, this is more of the same with more of everything except story.
  10. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    The more I see of the end-of-year blockbusters destined for awards, the more I appreciate this quirky, sweet film destined to be enjoyed and eventually watched again. The actors seemed to have fun and the viewer does, too. Giving it a 9 only because (in my opinion) it's not as great as "The Royal Tenenbaums."
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    Wes anderson must be the most over praised writer/Director working in films today. I didn't care much for Rushmore or The Life Aquatic. I hated the Royal Tenembaums and I absolutely hate this pointless
    drivel. I keep coming back for more because the majority of critics keep turning out superlatives for his work. All I can say is It won't happen again. Anyone who derives any enjoyment from
    this questionable film cannot have a clue about what real art is. Of one thing I'm certain it isn't this junk. Expand
  12. Zal
    Dec 20, 2012
    This is definitely one of those movies you either love or hate. Personally, I loved it. Admittedly, it's kind of kitschy, but that's not always a bad thing. It's a colorful movie both in its color pallet and its characters. I especially loved seeing Bruce Willis playing a cop who's nothing like John McClane.

Moonrise Kingdom is sweet and simple. I haven't seen Wes Anderson's other
    movies but if they're anything like this, I definitely will. Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    some plot revealed in this preview.

This film is brilliant! It is a simple story on the cover: Orphan boy doesn't really fit anywhere, finds another person in life who doesn't really fit in as well. Together they find love and peace in each other, as well as acceptance and understanding. On the back of the story, we have the adults. The adults in this film show what is wrong with the
    world and society and its impact on our youth. The influences the Adults in the movie have directly affect the children, not so much psychologically but socially and emotionally. Its a pretty heart warming story giving you some great insight into a world of reality where children really understand more than adults realize. The movie has many layers of which to unfold. life in general; In the end, all people want is to find a balance and a happiness. this movie does an excellent job of showing the process, among many other lessons to be learned! I recommend this film for everyone! Anyone who has had some form of struggle with life should be able to relate to this movie and story. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    A vedere il miglior film per ragazzi dell
  15. Dec 18, 2012
    It is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story of some gravity, passion or humour. Here the acting is wooden (puppet wooden), lines spoken too fast (as if to emphasize their meaninglessness), the child characters generally acting like adults, adults acting like children, all running around in a simple story, but even more, after awhile, you realize it is about a bunch sets and objects that look like a kid's dreams of military heroism and futile activities carried out in an oddly precise manner. All this makes me think he should use his artistic styling, which is appealing enough, on an entirely different kind of story written by someone else. Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2012
    The story itself is already fascinating, but it doesn't hurt at all that its misfit characters' journey is beautifully told by the quintessential filmmaker of the misfits. Moonrise Kingdom is one of those few cases in which bold formalism doesn't lead to a cold time at the movies. Actually, it's all the opposite.
  17. Dec 13, 2012
    If 'Moonrise Kingdom' falls short of being a masterpiece, it isn't by much. It is a quirky, idiosyncratic work from one of the best directors working today, Wes Anderson, whom I believe should never stop making movies. Striking to look at and meticulously crafted, Anderson also gets points for capturing young love with a sense of innocence and intimacy that I haven't seen in any other film before. Not to mention that it happens to be one of the funniest films to come out this year. Amazing performances are abound, but the most affecting one comes from Bruce Willis in an against type, more subdued role that was intriguing to watch him dig into. There is a warmth and sacrifice to this man, a grace in his outlook on life, that makes him quite the unexpected hero (not in the action-movie sense that one would assume coming from Willis). And if only one thing could be said, 'Moonrise Kingdom' is hugely entertaining. It's a real crowd-pleaser when you get down to it, especially for those who are unassociated with most of Anderson's work before this. I would even say that it is THE Anderson movie, both for fans of him and those who are looking to get into his style. One of the best films of 2012, and is the most heartwarming and funny by a mile. Expand
  18. Dec 10, 2012
    This film is a success, a blending of genres that created this film of children to adults in an adventure splendid film. With a little peculiar photography in these times and mainly as the direction I've been this script very well.
  19. Dec 8, 2012
    Quirky for the sake of being quirky. Too cute for its own good. Take the star talent from the film and it never makes the screen. I have to give this film a weak six. It is interesting enough to keep your attention, but weak enough to have your mind wandering on a regular basis.
  20. Dec 3, 2012
    beautiful film. The people that are talking smack about this film are so stupid it makes me sick to my stomach. Someone even talked about pedophilia. OMG people can be so stupid I just want to punch them in the face.
  21. Nov 24, 2012
    This was the first Wes Anderson movie I have seen, and I loved it. You know, it just shows you love can start at any age and last for an eternity. The filming was great. The actors were outstanding. The boy, Jared Gilman and the girl, Kara Hayward were so funny and I hope I see them in more films. Its just a fun filled loving movie that I will definitely watch again sometime.
  22. Nov 24, 2012
    Quirky and high-concept, this film could easily become an exercise in style over substance. It is both beautifully mannered and unreal but it's also unexpectedly engaging. The soundtrack, featuring Benjamin Britten, Hank Williams and in one key scene Francoise Hardy, is a joy. The actors hold the story together even when the action becomes quite overwhelming. This film well exceeded my expectations. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    Even though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funny and very entertaining, with Bill Murray stealing the show at times. Part of the humor comes from the fact that the characters take themselves more seriously than we think they should. Yet the characters are sympathetic and feel realistic. The story can certainly pride itself in being unpredictable. The cinematography is simple yet elegant. Definitely see Moonrise Kingdom. Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2012
    I like quirky films, with odd characters and this film have both of these things. I was looking for more laughs but was a solid period based film. The casting is perfect as is the array of colors making the scenes jump off the screen. I would not call this a classic but recommended but a view or two.
  25. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before. There, I said it. The trailers for Moonrise Kingdom made it look like a quirky, fun film with a great cast and worth a look.

What's it all about?
    Set on a peacefully quiet island off the coast of New England, two children, having only met once, set their pen-mail devised plan to runaway together into action. This leads to
    the islands eccentric inhabitants launching their own search and rescue mission to track down the wayward pair before a storm closes in. Should you watch it?
    Quite simply, yes. Moonrise Kingdom is beautifully shot, Anderson uses rich warm colours throughout and the film has such a retro feel to go with the 60s setting. The opening credits sequence was spellbinding and the film rarely lets go from there onwards. The cast is fantastic, the two young leads give performances that belies their youth and are supported by a brilliantly deadpan Bruce Willis character, Edward Norton, Billy Murray, Tilda Swinton and cameos from Jason Schwartzmann and Harvey Keitel.

The budding runaways

The screenplay is charming yet not without some serious undertones, in particular each child's motives for leaving but the film's offbeat humour (Swinton plays a character literally called 'Social Services') never lets the mood fall away from any other than pure adventure. Make no doubt that the children's naivety and innocence are the highlight of the film. The moment they meet up, Sam orders an inventory their equipment which includes an air rifle, a cat and six books before handing over some flowers to his young love. He later warns Suzy that he may wet the bed inside their tent. I'm reluctant to say anything further so as not to spoil the film for others.

Kingdom is supported by a score of classical music that fits perfectly with the eccentric nature of most characters and the old feel of the film.

A must see, and not just for Wes Anderson fans (as I mentioned I hadn't seen any of his films beforehand).
  26. Nov 10, 2012
    Finest script work and wonderful con-conventional typical wes anderson type powerful potrayal of a catastrophic incident in a calmly village. Do love it...
  27. Nov 10, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite films. I love Rushmore as well. Those films are both 10's in my book. Moonrise Kingdom is not a 10. It does not live up to Rushmore or Tenenbaums, but it certainly comes close. The beginning of the film was my problem. I wasn't bored, but I was starting to get to that point. The middle of the movie then came and from that point on it was flawless. I enjoyed it very much. The performances from the cast were hilarious. Especially by Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Edward Norton. They are the funniest and saddest characters of this story. This is a story about young love and family and it is definitely one of Anderson's best. This is one of my favorite films of the year, and I encourage any one to go and see it. One of the most interesting movie going experiences of the year. Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2012
    The film is set and edited with a master's perfection and each scene is cut so precisely, that within the first five minutes you're enchanted by Anderson's world. But, I believe it is this same style that prevents the film from being great, as the cookie cutter feel of it all eventually becomes tiresome.
  29. Nov 4, 2012
    A film filled with simple pleasures. Wes Anderson films are an acquired taste. Like all acquired tastes, you can understand why other people don't enjoy them, but you pity them for it.
  30. Nov 3, 2012
    All well(direction,actors and screenplay).The boy made mistakes but he solved it too fast;it's a great character.It's better than Skyfall and one of the best romance movies I ever seen.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).