8.0

1. Nov 3, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is probably Wes Anderson's most accomplished movie... Everything is beautiful : the colors are dreamlike, the music is exuding the 60 's and the scenario joyfully childish. Did I forget to mention how good every actor ?

If I had one movie to take on a desert island, it would definitely be this one !
  2. Nov 3, 2013
    I found this a rather odd movie, but a good one nonetheless. The characters and the plot are unique and memorable. Superb acting in my honest opinion from both the known actors and the younger ones. Well-paced and a fitting environment with nice scenery add to the mix. Won't say it's a must watch, but definitely something that people should look into if they like intelligent and quirky movies.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    A visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's moreA visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's more unique, more relatable, less boring. However, the only thing I can say that will take away from the film is that some people who do not like ofver the top artsy films, you may want to skip this one. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is one of those movies that sticks with you or a long time, if not forever. The performances and sweet, quirky themes just leave you feline hint melancholy and a hint of happiness. And it's also fun to watch a critically-acclaimed movie where the lead actor lives behind one of your best friends!
  5. Nov 29, 2013
    This movie was funny all the way throughout. It did center everything with corny acting from the kids, but so what? Much better than some other ones, I'll give you that. It's a love story, so some may find it unentertaining.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Being young is not the complicated phase in the film but following your heart in every decision. This film gives a lot of colors that enable everyone to come in to and feel the chills and thrills.
  7. Dec 18, 2013
    This is my favourite movie of all time. It's beautifully shot, impeccably scripted, and perfectly acted. I've easily seen this 7 times and can't wait until the next viewing.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    As one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberatelyAs one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberately outrageous action, and surreal visuals is a story that actually proves to be quite touching, and universally appealing. Therefore, the movie left me in tears by the conclusion, and I could not tell if it was the comedy or the heartfelt story that was the cause. Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    moonrise kingdom is 1965 craziness two campers have disorders and then go camping as they go camping they find what they have in common they both have disorders the girl has an anger problem . the boy scout has been rejected into foster homes and the other scotts thinks he werid . i find the girl insane in this wes anderson film including the fact that this is a 2012 film and it is a 1965moonrise kingdom is 1965 craziness two campers have disorders and then go camping as they go camping they find what they have in common they both have disorders the girl has an anger problem . the boy scout has been rejected into foster homes and the other scotts thinks he werid . i find the girl insane in this wes anderson film including the fact that this is a 2012 film and it is a 1965 film . go see the dark shadows instead Expand
  10. Apr 6, 2013
    I love the look and feel of this film; yes, it’s got a lot of quirkiness, but that’s not allowed to overrun the narrative too much. The soundtrack also adds to the enjoyment in a way; it becomes part of the world these people inhabit. The very black and white sensibilities of children are explored here; everything it taken as a matter of fact and accepted without question. I found it quiteI love the look and feel of this film; yes, it’s got a lot of quirkiness, but that’s not allowed to overrun the narrative too much. The soundtrack also adds to the enjoyment in a way; it becomes part of the world these people inhabit. The very black and white sensibilities of children are explored here; everything it taken as a matter of fact and accepted without question. I found it quite refreshing in a way; it made a nice change from the brainless comedies I’m usually subjected to. All the performances were excellent with my top awards going to the two youngsters; Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman. Well worth a look if you haven’t seen it and (probably) well worth a re-watch if you have!

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  11. Dec 10, 2012
    This film is a success, a blending of genres that created this film of children to adults in an adventure splendid film. With a little peculiar photography in these times and mainly as the direction I've been this script very well.
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    It is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story ofIt is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story of some gravity, passion or humour. Here the acting is wooden (puppet wooden), lines spoken too fast (as if to emphasize their meaninglessness), the child characters generally acting like adults, adults acting like children, all running around in a simple story, but even more, after awhile, you realize it is about a bunch sets and objects that look like a kid's dreams of military heroism and futile activities carried out in an oddly precise manner. All this makes me think he should use his artistic styling, which is appealing enough, on an entirely different kind of story written by someone else. Expand
  13. May 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For peopleMoonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For people who are not movie stars, politicians, or any other vocation that involves celebrity, who they are is based on what they do, or more significantly, what they do for others.

Director Wes Anderson explores the meaning of life when life is obscure and routine. And for all those anonymous individuals out there, there is one thing that lifts them all out of the world of the mundane and into the magical kingdom of the sun, the moon and the stars--that magical moment when the moon rises--and that is love. Norton's Scout Master Ward gets his love from the scouts who are entrusted to his care at the island summer camp. The sheriff, played soulfully by Bruce Willis, seeks a different kind of love from a married friend, who lives on the same island, but later realizes he is morally adrift, and in the end becomes a loving, adoptive father. Tilda Swinton's social worker has given up on love and she is almost a robot, until she too discovers that she can find love with acts of kindness toward others. Everyone who is bereft of love eventually finds some compensation in this 1965 setting that has all the hues of a Kodacolor snapshot. But there is one kind of love that is certain to lift everyone out of their ordinary lives and into magical realms and that is, of course, romantic passion. In this film, that kind of romantic passion is absurdly and almost ridiculously acted out by two 12-year-olds.

Pre-adolescent Sam (Jared Gilman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) meet at a school play on the island. Sam falls madly in love at first sight, pursues the object of his affections with love letters, and asks his paramour to run away with him. He leaves camp without authorization and she runs away from her parents' gingerbread house with the picture-perfect interior, and the hunt for the two runaway children begins, as the grown-ups get stressed out of their minds because the children are pretending to be adults. Sam is an expert scout, so they set up camp in various parts of their small island, where they get to explore the depths of their romance, which includes tentative, shy attempts at intimate behavior. When caught, they escape a second time and convince another scout master to marry them in a strictly symbolic ceremony, since they are too young to obtain a license. Sam then refers to 12-year-old Suzy as “my wife.” At a glance, it appears that the children are acting like adults, but in fact, this film intends to show that passion and romance are child's play, for even children can kiss, grope, and call each other husband and wife. It is indeed the grown-ups who act like children when they fall madly in love, and there is even something childish about the exclusivity of marriage, when it is born only of passion. That would explain the astronomical divorce rate, hovering at 40% and climbing, a failure rate that seems to be connected to the myth of undying romantic love.

If you grew up in the 1960's, you will wax nostalgic when you see a plastic record player that can be carried like a box with a handle. And remember when people smoked everywhere, even at breakfast? This time period also indicates a certain naivete, an immaturity on a global scale. In the end, the only love that endures is not egocentric love born of amorous passions, but the kind of love that is based on what we do for others. So, in order to wed like grown-ups, the only marriages that work are those committed either to raising the children, as shown by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand (playing Walt and Laura Bishop) in their shaky alliance that stays cemented because of the children and the profession of law to which they are both devoted--or marriages where two people use their synergistic energies to improve, further, and enlighten society at large. Anything else is a self-absorbed child's fantasy in an ephemeral kingdom filled with stardust, where there is no goal and no purpose, except perhaps to laugh, run, and chase the rising moon. And that is better left to 12-year-olds.
  14. Nov 10, 2012
    Finest script work and wonderful con-conventional typical wes anderson type powerful potrayal of a catastrophic incident in a calmly village. Do love it...
  15. Aug 3, 2012
    My fourth Wes Anderson film, a 2D cinema-going, the previous three are THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001, a 7/10), THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004, an 8/10) and THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007, a 6/10). With its burgeoning domestic box-office performance (a $38.8M by last week, only second to THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, which cashed in around 52M in the whole run), MOONRISE KINGDOM has a chanceMy fourth Wes Anderson film, a 2D cinema-going, the previous three are THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001, a 7/10), THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004, an 8/10) and THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007, a 6/10). With its burgeoning domestic box-office performance (a $38.8M by last week, only second to THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, which cashed in around 52M in the whole run), MOONRISE KINGDOM has a chance to be elevated into the weighty consideration as the BEST PICTURE contender in the Oscar race for the first time for Mr. Anderson, and a more potent edge is that it has gathered his idiosyncratic innovative creativity and incubates it with a fairly engaging story, therefore it can be conceived as his most developed and fully grown work to date. Apart from Anderson Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2012
    This film is cute, amusing and entertaining. It has a funny title, sorta like all the fake books the characters read in the film. This film will not win any major awards.
  17. Jul 12, 2012
    Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art,Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art, with Wes Anderson's signature over everything in the film. Trust me, Moonrise Kingdom is 100% Wes Anderson, from the linear cinematography to the mischievous score to the dialogue and even down to the character's names. Laughs are abundant in this starkly witty, quirky, and overall enjoyable film. It's a must-see for anyone, particularly those who like intelligent, well-acted offbeat films. At the end of the day, you have to admit, no one quite makes a film like Wes Anderson does. Expand
  18. Aug 12, 2012
    If you like Wes Anderson films you will love this quirkly coming of age story of Suzy and Sam who think they are alone as oddballs in their world till they find each other and run away together. I am not a big Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed this movie quite a bit as it crosses back and forth between innocence and ignorance and fantasy and reality. Where do these thoughts/feelingsIf you like Wes Anderson films you will love this quirkly coming of age story of Suzy and Sam who think they are alone as oddballs in their world till they find each other and run away together. I am not a big Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed this movie quite a bit as it crosses back and forth between innocence and ignorance and fantasy and reality. Where do these thoughts/feelings intersect Anderson seems to ask and when did we as adults last care or take notice? The kids run away and explore freedom and their feelings but the director wisely chooses to avoid showing intercourse (god forbid-what could be worse in America?) but they kiss and touching in an innocent way that makes us long for those days when we first loved that way. The acting overall is great- I enjoyed Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel and Ed Norton but was quite disappointed with Bill Murray. Excellent feeling of the sixties era on Long Island or New England, good music added drama and rhythm, and the reading of the letters by Sam (Jared Gilman) and Susy (Kara Hayward) to start their friendship as pen pals and Susy's binoculars are just 2 details thst show Anderson's devotion to his craft. Good film for couples, families, and the young at heart. Expand
  19. Sep 1, 2014
    Moonrise Kingdom is a magical journey painted by Wes Anderson and his partner-in-crime Roman Coppola. In addition to being one of Anderson's most stunning films, it is also unbelievably special. Moonrise is some of the best writing, directing and acting of the year.
  20. Sep 4, 2012
    It was much to my surprise that my movie date leaned over half way through the film and whispered in my ear 'I don't get it... it's funny? yes?' Particularly when I had just spent the last hour with a big smile on my face... So I did what any reasonable male would do in similar circumstances. Never called her back.
    But it is now, as I put down these words, that I realize Wes Anderson
    But it is now, as I put down these words, that I realize Wes Anderson might invent the kind of humor that speaks in sly remarks and intelligent repartee. After all, this is the gentleman responsible for "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Life Aquatic." Films filled with all kinds of quirky characters that are never obvious to decipher.
    Perhaps is my European upbringing that allows me to relate to his flavor of sense of humor. In the old country it is rare to have a laugh at someone smashing a pie in your face, a-la-Jim-Carrey. Too obvious. We do it more with combinations of words that require three different explanations and a day to marinade. Neither is better. It just tastes different.
    With or without my rather attractive yet long-gone companion, Wes Anderson delivered quite the good film. On the surface the story follows the romantic quest of a teen couple determined to come together and run away whether the adults like it or not. Which is a good thing, because the adults seem to be the ones out of touch with things in this Anderson microcosm. The kids are on point, determined, and ready to make all the adult decisions. Which is the humor of the thing. While the adults are always at a loss, indecisive, and in total disarray, specially in their personal lives.
    The dramatic performances were exacted with such surgical precision that it is obviously directed as such. No human takes their words and emotions to that extreme wax-museum-like delivery. Again, that is the humor of the thing.
    I found the marriage of music and imagery fantastic. It opens as it ends. The visuals leave no room for mistaken identity. There is always a haunting quality of being trapped inside a doll house within a little kid's story book. A compromise of innocence and seriousness from which to tell a story of painfully contrasting human emotions. The unrelenting honesty of a true heart ache versus the hopeless defeat of a disappointing adult world. Fantastic.
    One last thing... To the gorgeous girl whose calls I didn't return... Call me back. I found a movie with lots of smashing pies.
  21. Oct 1, 2012
    El cine es un mundo que se va llenando de las llamadas
  22. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoy a unique movie going expeirience. Wes Anderson absolutely provides that. Yet Anderson doesnt always blend his unique approach to make a good movie, in my opinion. Rushmore was great, Life Aquatic was a masterpiece, this one falls somewhere in between. Rent at home, enjoy!
  23. Jul 24, 2012
    This is my first Wes Anderson movie in quite a few years and have to say I am glad that I gave him another try. As we all now his style is quite unique and while I would not every director to run out to copy it, I found this movie very enjoyable. The way that Anderson makes his characters deliver their lines in the same manner and tome no matter what emotion they are feeling adds humor toThis is my first Wes Anderson movie in quite a few years and have to say I am glad that I gave him another try. As we all now his style is quite unique and while I would not every director to run out to copy it, I found this movie very enjoyable. The way that Anderson makes his characters deliver their lines in the same manner and tome no matter what emotion they are feeling adds humor to situations and dialogue where you would not normally find it. I also found this movie visually enjoyable, each shot can almost be framed like a still picture, this gives the audience a cinema experience unlike any they are likely to find elsewhere. While I don't think Anderson's style makes for difficult work for his actors, it is still hard to argue that any of the performances are less than stellar. Overall a fun enjoyable film that will be worth a second viewing and make me go back and re watch some of his earlier films. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2012
    Wes Anderson doing what he does best- aesthetics, sound, and relationships. Everything is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, and the movie is full of surprisingly touching moments. The only thing that bothered me was the somewhat wooden acting of the child actors- the deadpan "Wes Anderson" delivery doesn't come naturally to them, but by the second half of the movie I had forgotten allWes Anderson doing what he does best- aesthetics, sound, and relationships. Everything is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, and the movie is full of surprisingly touching moments. The only thing that bothered me was the somewhat wooden acting of the child actors- the deadpan "Wes Anderson" delivery doesn't come naturally to them, but by the second half of the movie I had forgotten all about this and was enthralled completely. Expand
  25. Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not especially a fan of Mr Anderson's output. I found Rushmore to be bombastic and distastefully immature, if ambitious. Tenembaums never really peaked my interest. I started to get his approach with Zissou, allured as I was by his iconic visual style. I found the feature to be flawed, but it made me chuckle in a way no other film has before. His subject matter is somewhatI'm not especially a fan of Mr Anderson's output. I found Rushmore to be bombastic and distastefully immature, if ambitious. Tenembaums never really peaked my interest. I started to get his approach with Zissou, allured as I was by his iconic visual style. I found the feature to be flawed, but it made me chuckle in a way no other film has before. His subject matter is somewhat pretentious, but for his treatment of an older man's coming of age, the splendid supporting cast and his perfect casting of Bill Murray in that role, he should and was commended. To my own detriment, I cheapened the experience by loitering in the auditorium after the screening to catch the sequel to a well known Wachowski brothers film, which, although sophisiticated in its own technical way, wasn't even in the same league. It begets a repeat viewing, but I've yet to get myself in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it again. I was enticed into watching Darjeeling, once again by it's casting, and it's immaculate promotional poster. Unfortunately, I found that film to be somewhat self important, and, once again, undermined by distastefulness. I was drawn to this, his latest release, yes, once again, by his refreshingly unique style, which is both retro and very contemporary. On first viewing it failed to capture my interest. On a whole, for an adventure, the movie is dull: drawn out in places and rushed in others. His cinematic gags becoming a bit gimicky by this point. I did enjoy the universe he had created and, if I'm using the term correctly, the general mise en scene of its framing, to be most pleasing on the eye, but almost too much attention has been paid on this aspect (his priorities are almost inverted). The lack of worldliness is understandable in the younger cast, but I personally found the older characters to be somewhat one dimensional, the story to be slight, and the stilted delivery of its dialogue infuriatingly monotonous. (It's just not as funny as it thinks it is.) Arguably, this is intentional, and I'm sure there is a post-modern justification for the film's overall flatness. I'm sure he would likely use terms such as 'distancing effect', at which he has been succesful (the film's opening admittedly does resemble a dolls house - as Zissou's sub resembles a schematic). Maybe it's was just that there was such a large younger cast, I couldn't quite connect with the film's emotions (the word autism did surface in my consciousness a few times during viewing). Then, maybe perhaps I'm not meant to, for this seems to be a grown up film for young people, and very much an experience for those within it. I did find myself compelled to watch the film again, if not in it's entirety. Mainly to immerse myself once again in his rich universe, which I longed to re-inhabit shortly after the films close. Also, to share the company of its familiar cast, in fittingly new guises. At the risk of not being cooly understated, as most critics seem to be aware such fare requires, we are blessed by the presence of the sultry young Kara Hayward, a future screen siren in the making. This is very much her film. A gift. Expand
  26. Oct 16, 2012
    Wes Anderson´s Moonrise Kingdom is one of his greatest achievements since Rushmore. This film is simply lovely, it´s intimate and original and it truly defines what love really is. The entire cast is fabulous, that goes from Bill Murray till Bruce Willis. The film is funny when it has to be and dramatic at the right moments, it´s the perfect combination.
  27. Nov 11, 2012
    I like quirky films, with odd characters and this film have both of these things. I was looking for more laughs but was a solid period based film. The casting is perfect as is the array of colors making the scenes jump off the screen. I would not call this a classic but recommended but a view or two.
  28. Jul 9, 2012
    One of the greatest, most unique directors of our time, Wes Anderson, is back with his seventh film and it doesn
  29. Jul 10, 2012
    Wes Anderson at his best! Moonrise Kingdom will go down as one of his greatest. From the corky scripting, to the incredible cinematography, this film is hard not to enjoy.
  30. Jul 11, 2012
    After a meandering start, it takes flight and is magical. True to form, Wes Anderson. Tender at the core and odd on the outside. Sweet perfection, lovely.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).