8.0

1. Jul 21, 2012
    The sets, photography were all from the point of view of a 13 year old. And it was done with a great sense of humor, and good eye for artful viewing. The movie was as much a Sendak style adventure as it was a teen's internal quest for autonomy, intimacy, and love.
  2. Jul 19, 2012
    This movie, straight up, is just really enjoyable. The way it was filmed makes it feel like your in some grey area between reality and a fairy tale, and it worked wonderfully. One of my favorite things about the movie was how goofy, quirky, and irrational most of the characters are. I thought maybe the reason for this was because the movie was filmed from the perspective of 2 kids, who were sort of outcasts; and so they perceive all these adults and other kids as really weird and irrational because of how different they are from themselves. I don't know, just a thought. But overall, a really great movie that doesn't drag on any longer than it needs to (about an hour and a half). Expand
  3. Jul 15, 2012
    I went in jaded and was ready to hate the preciousness of it all, but this gem won me over. A summer treat from a man with a vision. You pretty much know what you're going to get with Wes Anderson, but here it comes together with style and grace.
  4. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A pre-teen's fantasy of rebellion and how adults might act in reaction to a runaway by two unlikely misfits. A failed satire of military organizations that tries way too hard to be precious-cutesy at the same time. We're given scenes from "Peter Pan" wtih the ersatz Wendy reading to the "Lost Boys" and every military movie in which the soldier "busted" before the group with his emblems ceremoniously removed, who later commits acts of heroism in defense of the group and the clueless leader who 'busted' him. The 'adults' alternately act realistically in one scene, then as caricatures in the next. This is a disappointing mess of a movie. Expand
  5. Jul 12, 2012
    Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art, with Wes Anderson's signature over everything in the film. Trust me, Moonrise Kingdom is 100% Wes Anderson, from the linear cinematography to the mischievous score to the dialogue and even down to the character's names. Laughs are abundant in this starkly witty, quirky, and overall enjoyable film. It's a must-see for anyone, particularly those who like intelligent, well-acted offbeat films. At the end of the day, you have to admit, no one quite makes a film like Wes Anderson does. Expand
  6. Jul 11, 2012
    After a meandering start, it takes flight and is magical. True to form, Wes Anderson. Tender at the core and odd on the outside. Sweet perfection, lovely.
  7. Jul 10, 2012
    Wes Anderson at his best! Moonrise Kingdom will go down as one of his greatest. From the corky scripting, to the incredible cinematography, this film is hard not to enjoy.
  8. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Moonrise Kingdom tells a mythological tale of social chaos (symbolized by the storm and Noah's Ark play) that gets resolved in a peaceful way rather than through a violent expulsion or sacrifice (except for the poor dog). Those methods are the kneejerk solutions to social confusion we expect in most communities/myths/movies. The movie begins with the chaos of adults acting like children while training the children to be adults prematurely. The orphan boy and Susie personally experience this lack of order and are trying to find peace and be prematurely adult because the island's adults are failing to provide proper care. The two teenagers accept their difference and try to leave the disorder around them for the best kind of natural and normal life and relationship they're capable of. This makes them outsiders who are blamed for the chaos that the adults have created for themselves and their children. The scouts who attack the young couple, the social service system lady, and Susie's parents use the usual blame, expulsion, and injuring/killing of these odd ones so society can return to its "normal" disorder that the adults take for order. But the Ed Norton scout leader and Bruce Willis police chief undergo personal change to take responsibility to help the children. These adults in official roles of order choose to resolve the conflict peacefully by recognizing the young couples' desparate, forced attempt to find their own sense of good order for themselves by just withdrawing from the community's disorder. And by choosing not to go through with their suicide the couple eschew the role of victims. They take the chance to live peacefully in a truly more healthy order where responsible adults care effectively for growing children. The new, true order is symbolized in the childrens' changed name of the inlet to Moonrise Kingdom following the island's great storm/chaos that's untypically been resolved peacefully. This is a simple innocent movie myth indeed that gifts us with an alternative to more common violent myths. These myths presume the necessity for a violence that gains a mere temporary peace, just the reconstituting of a still fundamentally chaotic "order." It will require repeated violence to keep chaos at bay, but never resolved. If my interpretation is sound then Wes Anderson may, like me, have been reading the cultural theorist Rene Girard. Girard has accomplished a startling unmasking of the myths, prohibitions and sacrifices that go along with the violent expulsion at the foundation of all societies. From whatever source, Wes Anderson has created a counter myth that presents a community's alternative choice to re-form/re-found itself through personal and social changes that lead to a peaceful social reconciliation. Moonrise Kingdom portrays adults learning wisdom from the mouth of babes. Expand
  9. Jul 9, 2012
    One of the greatest, most unique directors of our time, Wes Anderson, is back with his seventh film and it doesn
  10. Jul 8, 2012
    Watching this movie I felt like a Democrat stuck in a Republican convention. I understood that everybody seemed to be liking what was going on in the movie but for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Liking whimsy and fair tales is a must for all Wes Anderson fans who, in my opinion is Tim Burton lite. Chacun a son goute.
  11. Jul 7, 2012
    Not particularly sweet or charming or clever, but rather a fairly stilted, posturing attempt to be all three (or at least the first two). A waste of a lot of talented (adult) actors. I loved the music, though (which, of course, was from Britten and others), and I thought the musical joke/take off during the credits was the best part (and maybe reason enough to stay to the end).
  12. Jul 6, 2012
    This movie is pointless. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Simple metaphors made lifeless and absurd. I can't believe that this cast chose this script; maybe the problem was with directing? The kids are smarter than adults formula made even more unpleasant than usual because the kids in this movie are just as unpleasant as the adults. This is not art, it's fools gold. Just being weird is not enough. Ugh. Expand
  13. Jul 6, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic in every aspect of film making! Just about every element that goes into production that I can think of was spot-on. Whether it be the characters, music, story, tone, look of the film, or anything else really. This was my first Wes Anderson film, and he's acquired one more fan. A joy from start-to-finish, this is not a recommendation, this is a must-see.
  14. Jul 5, 2012
    Although I was immediately grabbed by the trailer and the stellar ensemble cast, I haven't been a fan Wes Anderson's work in the past, and therefore was concerned that I would be (once again) disappointed and possibly frustrated with this film, as I was with his Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaum's. However,...I found Moonrise Kingdom to be one of the must unique, creative, and artistically directed films I've seen in a while. Exquisite art direction (those over 50 will particularly appreciate the attention to detail), clever cinematography, crisp editing, and touching performances from all involved. This is truly a one-of-a-kind movie experience that most over the age of 18 should enjoy. Expect the unexpected. Also - as usual, I highly recommend staying through the end titles, but this time for a wonderful narration to the instrumentation of the soundtrack. I expect Oscar noms next February for Best Screenplay, Director, and (possibly) Best Pic for this quirky, summer surprise. Grade = A- Expand
  15. Jul 4, 2012
    One of the worst movies I have seen recently. It is as though these talented actors intentionally acted as amateurish as possible. This is another example that "the emperor has no clothes."
  16. Jul 3, 2012
    The film is a no-doubt signature Wes Anderson film. It's got the primary color palate, the vintage look, the interestingly quirky yet depressing characters. And yet, Moonrise Kingdom holds more in store for us. We find, among all other qualities of the the film, one of the strongest and most beautiful love stories to exist in all of cinema. Sam and Suzy go so hand in hand that it's remarkable to watch. Also, supporting performances by Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, and Ed Norton help to keep this love boat afloat. Although many may find this unorthodox romantic comedy to quirky to function, let alone enjoy, it's probably because they are obsessing over te main picture of the film, and not appreciating its intricate details. For example, the innocent and sweet yet undoubtedly destined relationship between Sam and Suzy is perfected after what seems to be endless (but what seems to be effortless) editing, until the flawless adolescent relationship is concocted. Overall, this film exudes both intelligently crafted cerebral humor and dark and looming depression (your generic Anderson film) in a masterful way, leaving us with a compelling compassion for our innocent spotlight couple. A must watch. Expand
  17. Jul 2, 2012
    This movie is really Anderson's best. Everyone in the theatre was laughing hysterically. MK is really movie of the year material.................................................................................................................................................................................................
  18. Jun 30, 2012
    Very cute movie. Definitely different! Thought acting was great and the story was quite funny. Can never understand why it is so important for the film industry to blaspheme the Name of God, but the do several times in this movie.
  19. Jun 30, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is a Wes Anderson film, and so it is not for everyone, but for fans of Wes Anderson, this movie exceeds any expectations you could have coming in. It is shot beautifully, the acting is excellent, it is perfectly cast, and the plot moves with perfect suspense and pace. Anderson attempts to capture the essence of the island, the essence of love, and the essence of childhood enthusiasm, and succeeds in doing so, the result being a beautiful, entertaining, and emotional film that moviegoers will remember as Wes Anderson's best effort. While it retains all the Wes Anderson charm that his fans admire, Moonrise Kingdom does not spend time documenting the lives of nihilistic middle aged men, nor does it waste a frame of its length. It is edited perfectly. At one hour and thirty four minutes, Moonrise Kingdom is a film that anyone can enjoy, Wes Anderson lovers and haters alike, and is perhaps Anderson's best film to date. Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2012
    Always a warning when people really like the acting. MK is just such a movie. Several superb actors hamstrung by the script. (Spoiler alert: there are no characters that you really care about.) Go and enjoy the quirkiness but it will be like a meal that still leaves you hungry. Then re-watch Napoleon Dynamite, Donny Darko, Little Miss Sunshine, Coraline.
  21. Jun 30, 2012
    I love the cinema of Wes Anderson, as I feel that he expresses much of the things I hold dearest, and I consider his movies so close to me that it feels as if I'm looking at a mirror that reminds me of my best feelings ever.Up to now, my favorite ones used to be Rushmore, Battle rocket and, perhaps, The life aquatic. But Moonrise kingdom is the new candidate for my almost favorite one. I would like to live in the world of this film;not because of what's happening(there 's a certain sadness in the relations of almost everyone to everyone in the film); but because Anderson manages to take me to a place where I feel things I was longing for and I was tending to forget. A unique film, which I instantly adored! Expand
  22. Jun 29, 2012
    This is classic Wes Anderson right here. He takes his unique style to the next level with this odd yet charming coming of age tale. For me, the best part of Moonrise was the beautiful photography as well as the amazing score (shout out to Alexandre Desplat). The cast was phenomenal especially Edward Norton. The many child actors held their own against the veterans, however I thought the two main kids (played by Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman) were a little too monotone. We never really got to see any real passion from the kids. Overall, it's quite good. Expand
  23. Jun 29, 2012
    The film has strong and weak elements. On the positive side, it is really, really easy on the eyes. I could watch it with the mute on. But you don't want to miss the music. Hank Williams and classical music on an old phonograph took me back to my childhood. The quirkiness is amusing. Negatives: Amusing is not the same thing as funny. I chuckled maybe twice. It might be funnier with friends. The movie was not very emotionally involving. It seemed a bit formal, somewhat two dimensional. Sometimes the plot seemed to be just going through the motions. The movie was not boring but was far from engrossing. Quirkiness, audiovisual perfection, and good acting keep the canoe afloat. Expand
  24. Jun 28, 2012
    Wes Anderson's latest takes place on a New England island in the 60s. A pre-pubescent couple runs off, while a group of family and others tries to find them. The director has taken his deadpan style and dense visual statements to it's extreme. I kept waiting to be charmed and amused, while everyone around me was delighted. It's an interesting stylistic escape, but just too twee for my taste.
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    I'm going to start with a list of movies, and you are going to tell me if you've seen them. Here it goes: Bottle Rocket Rushmore The Royal Tenenbaums The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou The Darjeeling Limited Fantastic Mr. Fox Seen any of them? If you said no, I wouldn't be surprised: they all are rather quirky and aren't necessarily mainstream, though they have garnered quite a bit of praise over the years. Each of these films, like Moonrise Kingdom, is written and directed by Wes Anderson, the guy whom I believe must have the most interesting, colorful, and crazy imagination in the history of the world, or at least in Hollywood. Take out colorful, and he's the Coen brothers.

That's, of course, not a bad thing. After all, the brothers Coen have given us Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, No Country For Old Men, and True Grit, among others. But I say that more to give you a ballpark for what to expect out of Wes Anderson's movies. They are inherently weird, to put it bluntly. And Moonrise Kingdom is no different.

Moonrise Kingdom is the story of Suzy and Sam, two 12-year-olds who meet, fall in love, and agree to run away together and embark on an adventure that they won't soon forget.

Suzy Bishop (Kara Hayward ) is the eldest of 4 children, a problem child with a super power that is aided by her treasured binoculars.

Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman) is an unpopular member of the Khaki Scouts, an orphan and expert cartographer with a great interest in the Chickchaw Harvest Migration Trail.

The two meet at a church performance of Noye's Fludde - the story of Noah and the Ark - and become pen pals who live at opposite ends of an island. One year later, in the summer of 1965, the two decide to run away together - Sam from the Khaki Scouts' summer camp, and Suzy from her parents' vacation lighthouse at Summer's End - and leave their dismal, lonely lives behind them.

This prompts the entire island, including Sam's scout master (Edward Norton) and fellow scouts, Suzy's parents (Bill Murray and Frances McDormand) and brothers, and the island police captain (Bruce Willis), to act as a search party to find the two missing young lovers.

Is there a lot of character development? Not really. Is there a twist ending? Nope. Are there a bunch of awesome special effects? Negative. Do you need to spend two or more hours in the theater and then even longer afterwards to figure out "what it all means?" Nay.

It's a simple story, but it creates so many funny, interesting, and delightful situations that you'd be hard-pressed to want much more from it. Is it weird? Sure. There are all sorts of odd story and character quirks that you wouldn't find in other movies, so many unique and interesting touches that just set this film apart. In no way does that make Moonrise Kingdom any less likable or any less accessible.

While the two films are extremely different, I find myself comparing Moonrise Kingdom to last year's magical Midnight in Paris. Both are stories of love - one of a city and a time, the other of a person and an adventure - and both are extremely light-hearted and fun. Both are directed by the same person that wrote them. Both are set (at least partially) in a time before our own. And both have their fair share of quirks, though admittedly Wes Anderson's caricatures and whimsy are far different from Woody Allen's neuroticism. But even better than those comparisons is that, like Midnight in Paris, Moonrise Kingdom is a darling of a film.

I was initially going to preface this review with this statement: this movie may not be for everyone. But, my mom went with me and she liked it, so I guess that statement doesn't really hold up. Often Wes Anderson's stories are so whimsical, quirky, and unabashedly odd that unless you are into "weird" movies, you may not find much to like within his repertoire. All of those things - whimsy, quirk, and oddity - are present here, and not so much in moderation, but there is something - I don't know what, but something - about this movie that just made me delighted as I sat in my chair and watched it all unfold. It's really a movie that you should see for yourself.

With a star-studded cast, memorable cameos, and a gaggle of talented young actors reminiscent of The Goonies, Wes Anderson has created a film that I don't think you'll want to miss. If you ever had a childhood crush or fell in love, ever felt like an outsider, ever hoped to embark on an adventure, well, this movie is certainly for you. All you need to do is come to the theater, sit back, and enjoy the show.
  26. Jun 25, 2012
    I'm hard-pressed to find a bad thing about this movie. Well-written and well-executed. As always with Anderson, the cinematography is outstanding. Enjoy. (I'd put this in the top two for Wes's films.)
  27. Jun 25, 2012
    I thought the best thing about this film was the big name talent in the small character roles. The story was cute and held my attention but it wasn't that funny as some in the audience found it. Still, I enjoyed it despite not being enthralled by a movie about preteens.My rating of this film is more a commentary on the lack of good films that are available for viewing today. Hopefully that will change as we head into the Fourth! I was excited to see Edward Norton back and to see that he is in the new Borne film. Expand
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    Absolutely the must see summer movie for 2012: sweet, funny, quirky, nails the time period (so for those of you 50+, you will walk back in time), great music choices and visually stunning - took my breath away over and over and over again. The acting by both adults and especially children is pitch perfect. You must see this movie!

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).