8.0

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Watching this movie I felt like a Democrat stuck in a Republican convention. I understood that everybody seemed to be liking what was going on in the movie but for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Liking whimsy and fair tales is a must for all Wes Anderson fans who, in my opinion is Tim Burton lite. Chacun a son goute.
  2. Jul 7, 2012
    Not particularly sweet or charming or clever, but rather a fairly stilted, posturing attempt to be all three (or at least the first two). A waste of a lot of talented (adult) actors. I loved the music, though (which, of course, was from Britten and others), and I thought the musical joke/take off during the credits was the best part (and maybe reason enough to stay to the end).
  3. Jul 6, 2012
    This movie is pointless. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Simple metaphors made lifeless and absurd. I can't believe that this cast chose this script; maybe the problem was with directing? The kids are smarter than adults formula made even more unpleasant than usual because the kids in this movie are just as unpleasant as the adults. This is not art, it's fools gold. Just being weird is not enough. Ugh. Expand
  4. Jul 6, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic in every aspect of film making! Just about every element that goes into production that I can think of was spot-on. Whether it be the characters, music, story, tone, look of the film, or anything else really. This was my first Wes Anderson film, and he's acquired one more fan. A joy from start-to-finish, this is not a recommendation, this is a must-see.
  5. Jul 5, 2012
    Although I was immediately grabbed by the trailer and the stellar ensemble cast, I haven't been a fan Wes Anderson's work in the past, and therefore was concerned that I would be (once again) disappointed and possibly frustrated with this film, as I was with his Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaum's. However,...I found Moonrise Kingdom to be one of the must unique, creative, and artistically directed films I've seen in a while. Exquisite art direction (those over 50 will particularly appreciate the attention to detail), clever cinematography, crisp editing, and touching performances from all involved. This is truly a one-of-a-kind movie experience that most over the age of 18 should enjoy. Expect the unexpected. Also - as usual, I highly recommend staying through the end titles, but this time for a wonderful narration to the instrumentation of the soundtrack. I expect Oscar noms next February for Best Screenplay, Director, and (possibly) Best Pic for this quirky, summer surprise. Grade = A- Expand
  6. Jul 4, 2012
    One of the worst movies I have seen recently. It is as though these talented actors intentionally acted as amateurish as possible. This is another example that "the emperor has no clothes."
  7. Jul 3, 2012
    The film is a no-doubt signature Wes Anderson film. It's got the primary color palate, the vintage look, the interestingly quirky yet depressing characters. And yet, Moonrise Kingdom holds more in store for us. We find, among all other qualities of the the film, one of the strongest and most beautiful love stories to exist in all of cinema. Sam and Suzy go so hand in hand that it's remarkable to watch. Also, supporting performances by Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, and Ed Norton help to keep this love boat afloat. Although many may find this unorthodox romantic comedy to quirky to function, let alone enjoy, it's probably because they are obsessing over te main picture of the film, and not appreciating its intricate details. For example, the innocent and sweet yet undoubtedly destined relationship between Sam and Suzy is perfected after what seems to be endless (but what seems to be effortless) editing, until the flawless adolescent relationship is concocted. Overall, this film exudes both intelligently crafted cerebral humor and dark and looming depression (your generic Anderson film) in a masterful way, leaving us with a compelling compassion for our innocent spotlight couple. A must watch. Expand
  8. Jul 2, 2012
    This movie is really Anderson's best. Everyone in the theatre was laughing hysterically. MK is really movie of the year material.................................................................................................................................................................................................
  9. Jun 30, 2012
    Very cute movie. Definitely different! Thought acting was great and the story was quite funny. Can never understand why it is so important for the film industry to blaspheme the Name of God, but the do several times in this movie.
  10. Jun 30, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is a Wes Anderson film, and so it is not for everyone, but for fans of Wes Anderson, this movie exceeds any expectations you could have coming in. It is shot beautifully, the acting is excellent, it is perfectly cast, and the plot moves with perfect suspense and pace. Anderson attempts to capture the essence of the island, the essence of love, and the essence of childhood enthusiasm, and succeeds in doing so, the result being a beautiful, entertaining, and emotional film that moviegoers will remember as Wes Anderson's best effort. While it retains all the Wes Anderson charm that his fans admire, Moonrise Kingdom does not spend time documenting the lives of nihilistic middle aged men, nor does it waste a frame of its length. It is edited perfectly. At one hour and thirty four minutes, Moonrise Kingdom is a film that anyone can enjoy, Wes Anderson lovers and haters alike, and is perhaps Anderson's best film to date. Expand
  11. Jun 30, 2012
    Always a warning when people really like the acting. MK is just such a movie. Several superb actors hamstrung by the script. (Spoiler alert: there are no characters that you really care about.) Go and enjoy the quirkiness but it will be like a meal that still leaves you hungry. Then re-watch Napoleon Dynamite, Donny Darko, Little Miss Sunshine, Coraline.
  12. Jun 30, 2012
    I love the cinema of Wes Anderson, as I feel that he expresses much of the things I hold dearest, and I consider his movies so close to me that it feels as if I'm looking at a mirror that reminds me of my best feelings ever.Up to now, my favorite ones used to be Rushmore, Battle rocket and, perhaps, The life aquatic. But Moonrise kingdom is the new candidate for my almost favorite one. I would like to live in the world of this film;not because of what's happening(there 's a certain sadness in the relations of almost everyone to everyone in the film); but because Anderson manages to take me to a place where I feel things I was longing for and I was tending to forget. A unique film, which I instantly adored! Expand
  13. Jun 29, 2012
    This is classic Wes Anderson right here. He takes his unique style to the next level with this odd yet charming coming of age tale. For me, the best part of Moonrise was the beautiful photography as well as the amazing score (shout out to Alexandre Desplat). The cast was phenomenal especially Edward Norton. The many child actors held their own against the veterans, however I thought the two main kids (played by Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman) were a little too monotone. We never really got to see any real passion from the kids. Overall, it's quite good. Expand
  14. Jun 29, 2012
    The film has strong and weak elements. On the positive side, it is really, really easy on the eyes. I could watch it with the mute on. But you don't want to miss the music. Hank Williams and classical music on an old phonograph took me back to my childhood. The quirkiness is amusing. Negatives: Amusing is not the same thing as funny. I chuckled maybe twice. It might be funnier with friends. The movie was not very emotionally involving. It seemed a bit formal, somewhat two dimensional. Sometimes the plot seemed to be just going through the motions. The movie was not boring but was far from engrossing. Quirkiness, audiovisual perfection, and good acting keep the canoe afloat. Expand
  15. Jun 28, 2012
    Wes Anderson's latest takes place on a New England island in the 60s. A pre-pubescent couple runs off, while a group of family and others tries to find them. The director has taken his deadpan style and dense visual statements to it's extreme. I kept waiting to be charmed and amused, while everyone around me was delighted. It's an interesting stylistic escape, but just too twee for my taste.
  16. Jun 27, 2012
    I'm going to start with a list of movies, and you are going to tell me if you've seen them. Here it goes: Bottle Rocket Rushmore The Royal Tenenbaums The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou The Darjeeling Limited Fantastic Mr. Fox Seen any of them? If you said no, I wouldn't be surprised: they all are rather quirky and aren't necessarily mainstream, though they have garnered quite a bit of praise over the years. Each of these films, like Moonrise Kingdom, is written and directed by Wes Anderson, the guy whom I believe must have the most interesting, colorful, and crazy imagination in the history of the world, or at least in Hollywood. Take out colorful, and he's the Coen brothers.

That's, of course, not a bad thing. After all, the brothers Coen have given us Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, No Country For Old Men, and True Grit, among others. But I say that more to give you a ballpark for what to expect out of Wes Anderson's movies. They are inherently weird, to put it bluntly. And Moonrise Kingdom is no different.

Moonrise Kingdom is the story of Suzy and Sam, two 12-year-olds who meet, fall in love, and agree to run away together and embark on an adventure that they won't soon forget.

Suzy Bishop (Kara Hayward ) is the eldest of 4 children, a problem child with a super power that is aided by her treasured binoculars.

Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman) is an unpopular member of the Khaki Scouts, an orphan and expert cartographer with a great interest in the Chickchaw Harvest Migration Trail.

The two meet at a church performance of Noye's Fludde - the story of Noah and the Ark - and become pen pals who live at opposite ends of an island. One year later, in the summer of 1965, the two decide to run away together - Sam from the Khaki Scouts' summer camp, and Suzy from her parents' vacation lighthouse at Summer's End - and leave their dismal, lonely lives behind them.

This prompts the entire island, including Sam's scout master (Edward Norton) and fellow scouts, Suzy's parents (Bill Murray and Frances McDormand) and brothers, and the island police captain (Bruce Willis), to act as a search party to find the two missing young lovers.

Is there a lot of character development? Not really. Is there a twist ending? Nope. Are there a bunch of awesome special effects? Negative. Do you need to spend two or more hours in the theater and then even longer afterwards to figure out "what it all means?" Nay.

It's a simple story, but it creates so many funny, interesting, and delightful situations that you'd be hard-pressed to want much more from it. Is it weird? Sure. There are all sorts of odd story and character quirks that you wouldn't find in other movies, so many unique and interesting touches that just set this film apart. In no way does that make Moonrise Kingdom any less likable or any less accessible.

While the two films are extremely different, I find myself comparing Moonrise Kingdom to last year's magical Midnight in Paris. Both are stories of love - one of a city and a time, the other of a person and an adventure - and both are extremely light-hearted and fun. Both are directed by the same person that wrote them. Both are set (at least partially) in a time before our own. And both have their fair share of quirks, though admittedly Wes Anderson's caricatures and whimsy are far different from Woody Allen's neuroticism. But even better than those comparisons is that, like Midnight in Paris, Moonrise Kingdom is a darling of a film.

I was initially going to preface this review with this statement: this movie may not be for everyone. But, my mom went with me and she liked it, so I guess that statement doesn't really hold up. Often Wes Anderson's stories are so whimsical, quirky, and unabashedly odd that unless you are into "weird" movies, you may not find much to like within his repertoire. All of those things - whimsy, quirk, and oddity - are present here, and not so much in moderation, but there is something - I don't know what, but something - about this movie that just made me delighted as I sat in my chair and watched it all unfold. It's really a movie that you should see for yourself.

With a star-studded cast, memorable cameos, and a gaggle of talented young actors reminiscent of The Goonies, Wes Anderson has created a film that I don't think you'll want to miss. If you ever had a childhood crush or fell in love, ever felt like an outsider, ever hoped to embark on an adventure, well, this movie is certainly for you. All you need to do is come to the theater, sit back, and enjoy the show.
  17. Jun 25, 2012
    I'm hard-pressed to find a bad thing about this movie. Well-written and well-executed. As always with Anderson, the cinematography is outstanding. Enjoy. (I'd put this in the top two for Wes's films.)
  18. Jun 25, 2012
    I thought the best thing about this film was the big name talent in the small character roles. The story was cute and held my attention but it wasn't that funny as some in the audience found it. Still, I enjoyed it despite not being enthralled by a movie about preteens.My rating of this film is more a commentary on the lack of good films that are available for viewing today. Hopefully that will change as we head into the Fourth! I was excited to see Edward Norton back and to see that he is in the new Borne film. Expand
  19. Jun 23, 2012
    Absolutely the must see summer movie for 2012: sweet, funny, quirky, nails the time period (so for those of you 50+, you will walk back in time), great music choices and visually stunning - took my breath away over and over and over again. The acting by both adults and especially children is pitch perfect. You must see this movie!
  20. Jun 22, 2012
    Over the course of his career, director Wes Anderson has developed a loyal cult following. His films explore adult matters with a refreshing sense of childlike innocence and wonder. Moonrise Kingdom offers little variation on this approach, but utilizes it to perhaps its best effect. The plot centers around young Sam and Suzy (Gilman and Hayward) who exist as misfits in their small island society, which itself consists of various outcasts. These include affable if daft Scout Master Ward (Norton), Sam's khaki troop leader; lawyer couple Laura and Walt Bishop (McDormand and Murray), whose idea of sweet nothings consist of legal jargon; mild-mannered police captain Sharp (Willis); and various khaki scouts and Bishop children. Sam and Suzy decide to take flight in search of something more meaningful, possibly love. Soon just about everyone else is searching for them. Though the premise seems simple, Anderson and company excel at delivering unexpected and rewarding payoffs. Each actor finds the right note to play his or her character. In particular, the younger actors are astonishing, capturing in their performances the heightened emotions of one's preteen years. The production is highlighted by beautiful locations and excellent cinematography. This is not to say the film is without its (admittedly minor) problems; the early flashback sequences interrupt the overall flow, and Tilda Swinton is woefully underused as Social Services. Still Moonrise Kingdom fits in with the best of Anderson's work. Fans and newcomers should find plenty to enjoy. Expand
  21. Jun 22, 2012
    I don't say this lightly: this is Wes Anderson's best film. I won't even waste time trying to describe it, because I know I won't be able to. The child actors were perfect, and Bruce Willis was surprisingly delightful. Edward Norton pleases, as always, as do the other big names (I don't even need to mention Bill Murray). To anyone who didn't like Moonrise Kingdom: I love you but you don't know what you're talking about. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2012
    Can you walk into a movie theatre, park your logic at the door, and accept that a boy could be struck directly with lightning and just wind up with a dirty face and clothes? Do you think a 12 year old boy, not 15-16, would listen to a 12 year old girl describe a French kiss and ask for one without his going
  23. Jun 19, 2012
    Quirky, well acted, and amusing. Wes Anderson's films are not for the masses, as they are subtle and, quite frankly, more intelligent than the fodder we are fed by corporate Hollywood. I imagine his movies don't cost that much to make, that the actors all work for much less because they like him, and that because of these financial assets, make enough money to let him make the next one. I have liked them all to one extent or another. That's how it is with his films. If you don't like the quirky pathos infused humor, you just won't like his movies. He has his own voice and clearly his own aesthetic vision. I loved it. Expand
  24. Jun 16, 2012
    Wes Anderson is fascinated with childhood and dysfunctional families- both of which are showcased at their awkward finest in Moonrise Kingdom. Of course the photography is composed beautifully and setting the film in the 60's was a great choice given Anderson's affinities towards a certain color palette. I would expect nothing less visually from an Anderson film. Where the film goes beyond the norm is in the script. Anderson and Coppola really capture adolescent love as well as the parents reactions to said love. It delves into each character deeply enough for it to be fulfilling though not enough for it to drag into boredom. Every actor does a great job especially the two newcomers. Some of the animation sections are strange and mildly out of place. I'm not sure from one viewing where I would put it in the echelon of Anderson films but nonetheless it is a great addition to an already magical career. Expand
  25. Jun 15, 2012
    I'd probably give this a 9.5 as it's a solid A movie, but that wasn't available. I was never a big Wes Anderson fan even though I liked some of his earlier films, but I'm not sure there is any director alive (at least American as I know there are a ton of great "Foregin" directors) who has a better back to back combo of movies in the last decade than Mr. Anderson (Matrix voice). I thought Fantasitic Mr. Fox and now Moonrise Kingdom were both solid A movies that have great replay value. Very Funny, touching, great cinematography (unique camera shots/angles), extremely unique, sweet.

MUST SEE movie......FYI some of my fav movies of all time are Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Big Lebowski, City of God, Shawshank, The Lives of Others, Godfather 1 & 2, Pinocchio/Bambi/Dumbo/Beauty & the Beast, Hoosiers (Indy born and raised who went to IU so a little biased), Casablanca, Schindler's List, Jaws, District 9, Fantstic Mr. Fox, Taxi Driver, Oldboy, Apocalypse Now, Monsters Inc/Incredibles/Finding Nemo, Deer Hunter, House of Flying Daggers/Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Pans Labyrnith, Avengers/The Dark Knight (great summer blockbusters), and honestly Moonrise Kingdom may be added to my list. Need a 2nd watch, but wow AWESOME flick
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    It's clear from the reviews that you either like Wes Anderson movies or you don't. If you're not a fan, this will not turn you into one. If you are a fan, then you've been waiting a long time for this movie and you won't be disappointed. It's got a lot of familiar quirks: the colorful tableaux filming style, the eccentric characters, etc, but it's got new stuff as well. There's more genuine emotion in the movie than probably any of his films since Rushmore (although, as usual, it's a little subdued). He did interesting things with the relationship between Suzy and Sam, too - pushing the boundaries a bit while still ultimately keeping things "innocent". My only disappointment with the movie was that I felt he marginalized Bill Murray a bit. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen pretty much every good line he has. One the other hand, it was nice to see some new faces in the movie. In addition to the kids, Edward Norton looked like he was born to be in these movies, and Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel (!) fit in quite nicely, too.

Definitely worth seeing.
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    Wes is rapidly becoming one of the most talented individual filmmakers of this generation. The visuals are dazzling and the acting is extremely heartfelt. You will undergo a thrill of innocence and it is impossible to not ponder your own little child while watching this remarkable film. Wes' imaginative movie reaches all age groups and will undeniably be released wide very soon and hopefully appear as a strong contender during oscar season. Expand
  28. Jun 4, 2012
    This movie is just another sad excuse for Anderson to waste time and money of decent film enthusiasts with his asinine and deluded films. I have yet to enjoy any of his films to date but everytime he makes a new one I try to give him the benefit of the doubt only to be let down everytime.
  29. Jun 3, 2012
    Wes Anderson doing what he does best- aesthetics, sound, and relationships. Everything is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, and the movie is full of surprisingly touching moments. The only thing that bothered me was the somewhat wooden acting of the child actors- the deadpan "Wes Anderson" delivery doesn't come naturally to them, but by the second half of the movie I had forgotten all about this and was enthralled completely. Expand
  30. Jun 2, 2012
    This film is cute, amusing and entertaining. It has a funny title, sorta like all the fake books the characters read in the film. This film will not win any major awards.
  31. Jun 2, 2012
    I loved this film and laughed the whole way through. Wes Anderson's poetic moonrise kingdom will pull some in and make them laugh their heads off while others will feel alienated and cold. I was completely transported into the world of the characters through Anderson's great choice of music and poetic imagery. The only thing I could say is that it's the best film of the year so far.
  32. Jun 2, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is an absolutely adorable film superbly written by Wes Anderson (who also gorgeously directed it) and Roman Coppola about two kids from completely different familial situations who find a connection in their shared sense of loss, either from parents who were deceased or parents who were alive, yet never present.  The struggles to survive their individual childhoods are soothed by each other.  In one another they find the support to move through their pain, progress into adult situations and give each other comfort they couldn't receive from adults.  The quirkiness of the script's situations are typical of Anderson films, but the "yellowing" of the film's color and the exquisite use of children as the main characters add to the depth of perspective, showing the adults as the goofy, clueless, immature element of the cast.  In their own chaos, the kids appear to have it together much more than the adults.  Throughout this wonderful film, the kids deal with the adult scenarios with maturity and logic while the adults come across as trained monkeys.  The children come together as a strong, empathetic team while the adults are miserable robots succumbing to the rigidity of their mundane lives, clinging to every vice there is, from cheating, lying, drinking, smoking, etc. while all the kids want is to be loved and happy.  The simple things we all set out to obtain. Expand
  33. Jun 2, 2012
    I had to travel to L.A. (one hour) to see this film and it was worth it. When I saw "Fantastic Mr. Fox" I had a smile on my face the entire time, and this live action film captures the same quirkiness of that classic animated film. I can't say enough about how great the two lead child actors this film are - Wes Anderson likes a certain style that requires both timing and a certain way of conversing, and everyone in the film captured it perfectly. The story was kind of a modern day Huck Finn (although set in the 1960s). I already look forward to his next film, and that is the best compliment I can give any director. Expand
  34. May 30, 2012
    This film will obviously have Wes Anderson's fans drooling all over... It had all the ingredients to become my favourite Wes Anderson's movie too, and yet the overloaded music (which really never stops for a single second!) and more importantly, the cartoony nature of everything else around the central heartfelt story of adolescent love pulled the film in too many directions and actually took a lot away from what could have been a very moving and sweet story.
    This is my review
  35. May 28, 2012
    Fantastic film from Wes Anderson. I hope Moonrise Kingdom should get an Oscar for Best Picture next year. One of the best films since Fantastic Mr. Fox.
  36. May 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I entered the cinema in a dyer, melancholy mood. Truthfully, I was expecting that Wes Anderson's latest release would lift that mood judging purely from the quirkiness of the trailer, and I was not mistaken. Immediately, I was struck by the fluency of the shots in the opening scene and vibrant setting of which it was shot, yet it was obvious from the build-up to the movie that it would be a fresh and innovative piece of art. What struck me most was the social depth of the film; character relationships reflected aspects of our western culture in sexual awareness, rejection of the different and strange, the relentlessness of authoritative figures in following the 'regime' and our (the peoples') despise at these particular figures, and the list can lengthen to however far you would like to think.
    It was great how characters like Bruce Willis and Edward Norton were in their standard roles, a cop and a leader of a group respectively, yet the characters they played would be judged upon by their typical caricatures as pathetic and laughable - subtly showing how they were willing to place a comedic value on those roles and literally 'take the piss' out of them/themselves. Wes Anderson placed other subtle referenced jokes aimed at big movies (such as Shawshank and The Big Lebowksi), personifying the film, as if it was saying "Hey, i'm good too, but I don't have to be serious." I found the comedic value of the film light, witty and pleasant and it genuinely placed a smile upon my face.
    On a personal level, what I took from the movie was a simple, and somewhat obvious message, of love can be obtained between the most different and weird people and in the end, it will always manage to blossom. This, in a way, I found enlightening being an 18 year old who desires love and affection but feels out of place in present day society, and this film told me "look, that is a good thing, a great thing, hope remains."
  37. May 26, 2012
    Wes Anderson's best movie in years - right up there with Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore. (Fantastic Mr. Fox, Life Aquatic, and Darjeeling each fell well short of my own expectations.) He nails the time period, the locations are perfect, the young actors are amazing (not over or underplaying anything) , the cadence is on the money, and the adults are much more genuine and sincere than they have been in other W.A. films. There is nary a dull moment in the film. Best of all, it brought back warm memories of my own time in the Khaki Scouts. It's my easiest recommendation in a while. Expand
  38. May 26, 2012
    This is the best of Wes Anderson's films, everything feels and looks just right. You may or may not like what Anderson does, but if you do, you will definitely enjoy this, and that's and understatement.
  39. May 25, 2012
    This is a beautiful film deserving of your attention. If you are a fan of Wes' previous work then you will love it. It encapsulates everything he excels at as an artist. "Moonrise" might be the most thematically clear and rich of all his films as well. Everyone involved shows a lot of discipline in bringing this tale to the screen and that includes a lot of child actors who had to rise to the material. Every actor is given their time to shine, and Wes proves once again that he has a prodigious talent for casting the right actors in the right roles and getting brilliant performances out of them. Even Bruce Willis fits right in here. Bruce Willis. In a Wes Anderson movie. Think about that. Expand
  40. May 25, 2012
    The best word I can think of to describe Moonrise Kingdom would have to be "Beautiful." The trailer is one of the greatest examples where a trailer is actually honest about the film. This film was really worth the trouble of finding the New York theater and I even skipped part of a class and I don't regret it, definitely a must-see, wether you're a Wes Anderson fan or not.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).