Moonstruck

9.1

1. MarioD
    Oct 9, 2005
    I could watch this movie again and again and again. One of the most charming ensemble casts I've ever seen. And one of the few films that really "gets" the Italian family right.
  2. JackieR.
    Feb 8, 2002
    Cinderella (Cher) dresses up from frumpy to fabulous with the love her Prince (Cage) not the most handsome man but definately most engaging, troubled, doe-eyed prince that every woman dreams of.
  3. LanceG.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Pat G. is right this is an absolutely delightful film, at once smart and funny. And the cast is perfection. I have this on my list of all-time greats.
  4. PatG.
    Sep 20, 2003
    Just watched this again on DVD. It is a perfectly delightful film in every way! As far as I can see, it does not have one false note. A comic/romantic masterpiece.
  5. JesseM
    May 17, 2005
    This is an outstanding, very funny, and surprisingly touching movie. Every character is very enjoyable, the relationships between them are believable, and the movie itself speaks truths that every person ought to hear.
  6. Apr 22, 2012
    I found this movie to be most charming, eloquently written, and just all around a silly romantic comedy. The banter between the characters portraying an Italian family couldn't have been more accurately. This classic Cher movie is one all movie lovers should watch in their life time.
  7. Jul 1, 2015
    Unfunny, unromantic, unrealistic, and all around annoying, Moonstruck is a complete and utter failure in my book. Cher is annoying in the lead role, Danny Aiello is alright but his character is literally an idiot, leaving Nicolas Cage as the only good part of the film (though his character is quick to get attached, eh?). The film feels as if it was made by some teenager romanticizing aboutUnfunny, unromantic, unrealistic, and all around annoying, Moonstruck is a complete and utter failure in my book. Cher is annoying in the lead role, Danny Aiello is alright but his character is literally an idiot, leaving Nicolas Cage as the only good part of the film (though his character is quick to get attached, eh?). The film feels as if it was made by some teenager romanticizing about love, who has no idea what love really is. I would know because I am not too far removed from those days myself. Completely lacking any substance, believable romance, and jokes, Moonstruck falls flat from the very beginning and the longer it goes on, the more and more you get annoyed by its very presence. A shame really because Cage is great here, so he wasted a good performance on a terrible film, which I guess is pretty characteristic of him. Expand
  8. Jun 27, 2013
    It wasn't good, it was spectacular, wonderful. You'll love the performances, but Cher's, hers was the best. The music is beautiful, and you'll laugh every moment.
  9. Nov 29, 2015
    A really lovely movie about love, falling in love, marriage, who to marry and why, and why you just can't fight it when it happens to you. Cher was great, she should have won an Oscar. I don't have a lot of DVDs but this one is in my collection.
  10. Dec 6, 2015
    total "comfort" film. enjoyable for beginning to end, all while enjoying each character. Cinematography, soundtrack and storyline are exceptional. And exceptionally fun.

1. Christian Science Monitor
    Reviewed by: David Sterritt
    Most of the acting is as real and warm as the characters themselves. And the streets, shops, and living rooms of Brooklyn have never seemed more inviting. [29 Jan 1988]
  2. The broad Italian family humor gets so thick at times that you could cut it with a bread knife.
  3. Newsweek