8.2

1. GeorgeK.
    Mar 1, 2009
    Absolutely amazing. Sure it is an old movie now but still it has lavish production design. Everything is created in full detail, good acting, nice injections shots of humor, fascinating fights, excellent editing and one unfuzzy direction from Anderson. Plus the exotic locations. Maybe the story is not serious-which it isn't-but it is presented in a way that makes the movie serious. Absolutely amazing. Sure it is an old movie now but still it has lavish production design. Everything is created in full detail, good acting, nice injections shots of humor, fascinating fights, excellent editing and one unfuzzy direction from Anderson. Plus the exotic locations. Maybe the story is not serious-which it isn't-but it is presented in a way that makes the movie serious. Another plus-the exotic-atmospheric score by George S.Clinton, the techno soundtrack and the photography. It 's good to see locations that they have a blue feeling(Stage with SubZero), a hellish one(Scorpion) etc.. Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa is simply fantastic! Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2011
    Paul W.S Anderson's "Mortal Kombat" doesn't play out like a game, but like 32 episodes of 'Power Rangers' fused together. Yes, the movie is that much terrible.
  3. Dec 21, 2010
    this is way better than other horrible video game movies
  4. Mar 21, 2012
    I understand why some people say that this is a mixed bag type of movie. But myself, I honestly thought this was a very cool movie. Sure it's PG-13 and not as gory as the video games, but I still give it credit for some Fatalities, Flawless Victories, really cool fight scenes, and very good choice of casting. My most favorite MK character, Johnny Cage was funny and awesome. The best partI understand why some people say that this is a mixed bag type of movie. But myself, I honestly thought this was a very cool movie. Sure it's PG-13 and not as gory as the video games, but I still give it credit for some Fatalities, Flawless Victories, really cool fight scenes, and very good choice of casting. My most favorite MK character, Johnny Cage was funny and awesome. The best part was Goro looked great! The animatronics with the face and arms were fantastic that time in 1995. If this movie was made today, it would probably be CG. Sure there are a few problems with the movie, but its still a very good Video Game Based Motion Picture. Out of all of them, this is probably my most favorite out of VG films. Expand
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    It's a fun movie to watch and to makes jokes of but it will be remembered for being the best live action video game movie it may not be a great movie but its a pretty ok movie with some awesome fight scenes and colorful characters like sub zero and scorpion.
  6. Mar 2, 2011
    Best video game movie ever! I feel this is the only movie where the filmmakers actually respected the video game source material. I've watched this movie many times as a kid, and I always shout "MORTAL KOMBAT!" whenever I feel like it.
  7. Mar 1, 2012
    4 years since my first review on this movie, and still the best video game movie ever made, Mortal Kombat is what a fighting game movie should be; faithful to the game with a group of well-choreographed fight scenes and spot-on casting that resembles the characters very well, plus, the overall concept is cool, the plot is well-paced, the actors do a great job (especially Robin Shou and4 years since my first review on this movie, and still the best video game movie ever made, Mortal Kombat is what a fighting game movie should be; faithful to the game with a group of well-choreographed fight scenes and spot-on casting that resembles the characters very well, plus, the overall concept is cool, the plot is well-paced, the actors do a great job (especially Robin Shou and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa), the cinematography and set designs are wonderful, and for a film released in 1995, the special fx are actually nice to look at, I easily recommend this film to any hardcore gamer (especially those who are fans of the MK franchise). Expand
  8. Apr 29, 2011
    This is by far the best video game movie ever made!
    The plot is enjoyable,the fighting is awesome,the acting is good a little cheesy but good.Every fan of MK will be pleased with this movie!
  9. Jan 3, 2011
    back in the day this game was huge so of course it spawns a movie . as usaul it was a hollywood sell out of a film . well what makes mortal kombat a cool game and the only reason ? fatalities ... that is it . the movie with its PG13 rating pretty much waters it all down and what where left with is some thing so-so , the acting is passable the story does follow the games . the specialback in the day this game was huge so of course it spawns a movie . as usaul it was a hollywood sell out of a film . well what makes mortal kombat a cool game and the only reason ? fatalities ... that is it . the movie with its PG13 rating pretty much waters it all down and what where left with is some thing so-so , the acting is passable the story does follow the games . the special effects where pretty good. the charicters are one dimensional but they are the same in the game . this movie could have been far worse when you look at the history of games to movies . Mortal Kombat atleast was wachable . Expand
  10. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    Video game movie adaptations haven't always been the greatest idea. The two mediums don't really come close to each other in terms of direction or design. Having said all that, Mortal Kombat is entertainingly bad.
  11. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely the worst movie I've ever seen. I was unfortunately dragged to see this instead of some other cool movie at the time that was R-rated because my best friend was asked to take his younger siblings along with him to the movie theater and they were not old enough to see an R-rated movie. So, like a trooper I stuck with to endure this movie while our more scumbag friends ran off to see a better movie. Going in, I didn't have any expectations really. I had played countless hours of Mortal Kombat the video game in the arcade while in high school, and that was a cool game, so I thought, hey, this might not be so bad. Man, was I wrong. Now why would you take a video game filled with extreme graphic violence and then try to turn it into a movie for a General audience aimed at young children? Because you're an idiot without any common sense, that's why! The only "fatality" is when one of the fighters stupidly slips and falls off the side of the mountain, there is no blood, no gore, nothing. This was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. And this is supposed to be an action movie? I'd rather watch somebody play the video game than watch this movie, seriously, watching somebody play the video game is way more entertaining! What a waste of money and time. Don't ever see this movie. Don't rent it. If it comes on TV change the channel! because if you see it, you're gonna have a bad time! Expand
  12. josak
    Feb 6, 2007
    Cool movie. If you liked the games at all, your going to enjoy this.
  13. Danieru
    May 13, 2008
    Pure fun. And also the best film based on game. I think it really deserves its 10.
  14. GabboE.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Mortal Kombat is the greatest movie based on a video game ever made, everything about it was great, it followed the game really well, it was well casted, the special effects were pretty decent for it's time, the fight sequences were excellent and the soundtrack was superb, this movie is definately one of my favorite movies of all-time.
  15. FredBob
    Oct 18, 2006
    This movie has it's good spots, but the acting could be a little better. It does a great job capturing the intensity and creativity of the Mortal Kombat world.
  16. McGee
    Jul 12, 2006
    One of my top 10 movies of all time. And, the first Movie Based on the Video Game, that captures everything the Game was ment to be.
  17. KevinM
    Mar 13, 2009
    I liked this movie too, but I'm surprised it got this good of reviews, especially from critics.
  18. Phail3d
    Oct 27, 2006
    Alhtough the plot went a little too complicated and seperated from the main idea in it's latter parts, I still found Mortal Kombat fun to watch. Because the plot follows one of the original video games kind of well, I have the strange feeling that people who have played the video game(s) get more out of the movie; hence the better rating by users.
  19. Jan 1, 2011
    I noticed this movie has no bad reviews and I couldn't agree more. This movie today is still in my top ten and Is the best video game adaptation to date. The presentation was flawless and the acting was very impressive. One of the best movies I have ever seen.
  20. Sep 23, 2013
    Mortal Kombat is still to this day the greatest video game-to-movie adaptation yet! The story follows the first game pretty well, the locations, actors, special effects and stunts were all amazing for its time. Hard to believe the movies almost 20 years old.
  21. Oct 6, 2013
    I think the best thing I can say about this film is that it's watchable. There were parts that were good while others were poorly done. Not a god awful film but it could have been better.
  22. Feb 13, 2013
    While this movie is far from good, it is still one of the few video game to movie adaptations that is both good and fairly loyal to the source material. If anything this movie has an iconic soundtrack that pretty much any MK fan knows by heart. For it's time this movie was really good with some pretty decent fight scenes. A shame they went the PG route as a bit more blood and gore wouldWhile this movie is far from good, it is still one of the few video game to movie adaptations that is both good and fairly loyal to the source material. If anything this movie has an iconic soundtrack that pretty much any MK fan knows by heart. For it's time this movie was really good with some pretty decent fight scenes. A shame they went the PG route as a bit more blood and gore would have made it a bit more interesting. But, still that aside it still is pretty good. Acting is cheezy at times, but far better than can be expected. Overall: Far from perfect, but still a fun movie to watch. Expand
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rented Mortal Kombat on Boxing Day 2013 so I could fill the extra hours of boredom. At the first cutscene when a boy called Chan Kang was killed by Shang Tsung, I was confused but I soon realised that it was a flashback so I continued the movie. The plot is based on the first Mortal Kombat, but then I was thrown off with the fact that there were characters from Mortal Kombat 2. The plot was not constructed or written very well because at the ending when Shao Kahn appears, I was thinking "Which Mortal Kombat game are they basing the movie on? Mortal Kombat or Mortal Kombat 2??"

I liked the fight scenes in the game with my favorite being Johnny Cage vs Scorpion and I also liked some of the jokes that certain characters make in the movie. The funniest part of the movie for me was when Johnny Cage punched Goro in the nuts. The environments were awesome as well for a 90's movie. However, the awful dialogue and the acting that ranged from bad like Christopher Lambert (Raiden) to hilaribad like Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung) who was laughably awful at the role. Memorable quotes from Shang Tsung included "Your soul is MINE!", "Fatality!" and "Finish him/her!". And let's not forget his weird screw face that he does in certain parts of the movie!!! LOL XD

Overall, it is an alright movie, but it would have been better if the acting was great, the dialogue wasn't cheesy and the plot was re-worked. I am not a fan of Mortal Kombat but I kinda liked the movie.
  24. Dec 9, 2014
    While the special effects and story are not well made,The acting and the fight scenes are better that I expected.The tournament is well made,but unfortunately it's hard to get into the movie.
  25. Aug 16, 2014
    Close to no character development and I couldn't of cared less if any of the characters died. The special effects were bad even for the 90's and all of the characters couldn't compare to the game. Killer soundtrack though
  26. Jan 30, 2015
    Unlike it's sequel, this movies plot is respectable. The fight scenes are better than its sequel and the special effects are great for its age. If you are a fan of action movies, this is a must have. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  27. Apr 12, 2015
    DECENT, Compared to the sequel, considering I found this movie at Walmart few days ago that had both the first and second MK movie on a single disc, I also saw both reviews by Nostalgia Critic!

It is, in essence, the video game transferred part and parcel to the screen, and very well at that.
  2. Reviewed by: Laura Evenson
    Mortal Kombat the movie has everything a teenage boy could want: snakes that jut out of a villain's palms, acrobatic kung- fu fighting and a couple of battling babes. Everything, that is, but an interesting plot, decent dialogue and compelling acting
  3. The movie's extensive martial arts sequences, in which combatants bounce off each other doing triple handsprings, suggest a slightly more earthbound version of the aerial ballets in Hong Kong action-adventure films.