8.7

1. JuanP.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Fantastic film, great cast, great music. Nicole K. is spectacular spectacular.
  2. Nicki
    Aug 20, 2007
    I loved this movie it deserves way over a ten! It was so much fun to watch, I could watch it over and over again. Definetly is my favorite movie, the music, the acting, the costumes, everything was amazing and definetly worth your time!
  3. GodyP.
    Aug 25, 2007
    The best of 2001! A masterpiece!
  4. C?hatT.
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Best Thing You Will Ever Learn is to love and be loved in return... This movie will always be my best.
  5. CARLD
    May 30, 2009
    I saw it--several times. I luv it! I bought it-DVD...where is Blu-Ray version?....stunning visual work....filmmakers art masterpiece....Not for the artistically deprived !...which may explain some bewildered comments.
  6. ChristoherH.
    Nov 13, 2001
    Can't understand people that go out and feel nothing. It's just the unbelievable expression of feelings in all media being receivable through a cinema-screen.
  7. RutaK.
    Nov 2, 2001
    Ewan is fantastic and his voice is so beautiful.
  8. SiouxieT.
    Oct 13, 2001
    Fabulous, "spectacular" extravaganza, that works on an amazing array of different levels: from the Busby Berkley musical to music hall, from opera to "pop;" from fantasy to "reality;" from comedy to tragedy and back again. Yes, it's "post-modern," but it's post-modernism at its best and most intelligent. The only people I know who haven't enjoyed it are those who seem to Fabulous, "spectacular" extravaganza, that works on an amazing array of different levels: from the Busby Berkley musical to music hall, from opera to "pop;" from fantasy to "reality;" from comedy to tragedy and back again. Yes, it's "post-modern," but it's post-modernism at its best and most intelligent. The only people I know who haven't enjoyed it are those who seem to think it's "uncool" to enjoy a movie that so self-consciously plays with the supposed divisions between 'high' and 'low' culture. Their loss - as one review I read put it, they've just 'missed out on the movie of the decade'. Expand
  9. GabriellaD.
    Oct 16, 2001
    It is just soo amazing!!!
  10. LynW.
    Oct 19, 2001
    Ewan's voice amazed me and I have heard him sing before! But not like this. The love affair, though doomed from the start, gives one hope and a general feeling of happiness.
  11. SamM.
    Oct 21, 2001
    Great Music.
  12. ArnoW.
    Oct 2, 2001
    A dream, a wonderful composition of music (the most powerful language used in the movie) and almost surrealistic photographic scenes. It balances between heaven and hell . A beautiful historical drama shown in a very special way.
  13. Bing
    Dec 19, 2001
    This is now one of my favorite favorite movies of all time ever. I cried so hard I was shaking, and I went to my boyfriend's house afterward to make sure he was ok. No movie has made me so emotionally involved...
  14. EllenM.
    Oct 23, 2001
    Unbelievably brilliant, superb!
  15. VeraN.
    Dec 30, 2001
    This film was the best I have ever seen.
  16. DJ
    Dec 30, 2001
    Takes you on a operatic roller coaster adventure...Spectacular!
  17. NathanielR.
    Oct 24, 2001
    Every moment, sink or swim is alive. Believe it or not, movies generally aren't this cinematic. Awesome.
  18. EmmaS.
    Oct 24, 2001
    It's the best thing since sliced bread!
  19. Ania
    Dec 6, 2001
    It is wonderful, breathtaking and really worth seeing!
  20. TedK.
    Dec 6, 2001
    What a visually stunning film! wow! Great songs! Ewan McGregor was fantastic! It was only afterward that I started to wonder about the storyline: like, ok, wasn't this just another tragic love story?
  21. JulietP.
    Oct 7, 2001
    Hello...I loved this movie! It is in my top 5 of best musicals of all time!! Love, Juliet.
  22. JesseS.
    Oct 9, 2001
    This movie doesn't deserve a ten, it deserves a 100!
  23. JudithV.
    Aug 15, 2001
    PERFECTION!! Seriously, it beat "Rocky Horror" to me and I'm a cultie. I may have been biased by Ewan, the hottest, most talented actor ever, but the movie can still stand on its own feet. The songs are good and well-placed. The emotion is there and the actors are talented. I laughed, I cried, I sang along and pissed off the theatre. SEE THE MOVIE!! YOU WILL SEE THE MOVIE!!! PERFECTION!! Seriously, it beat "Rocky Horror" to me and I'm a cultie. I may have been biased by Ewan, the hottest, most talented actor ever, but the movie can still stand on its own feet. The songs are good and well-placed. The emotion is there and the actors are talented. I laughed, I cried, I sang along and pissed off the theatre. SEE THE MOVIE!! YOU WILL SEE THE MOVIE!!! I've seen it 12 times. Expand
  24. Sarah
    Aug 22, 2001
    Beautiful and exhilarating.
  25. HillaryH.
    Aug 26, 2001
    I saw this movie 13 times!! It is soo good! It deserves best picture, actor and actress. And might I add that it has already won all these honors at the Hollywood Film Awards. Ewan McGregor is SO sexy and delivers a great performance and Nicole is absolutely amazing. It is a perfect 10!!
  26. Satine
    Aug 9, 2001
    Excellent.
  31. SerhanY.
    Sep 10, 2001
    Very well organized, a musical audiences were craving for. Beautiful, spectacular.
  32. SerhanY.
    Sep 10, 2001
  33. TobyM.
    Sep 16, 2001
    U cant get better than this. Its colours fill the screen and I'll watch it loads!!
  34. HillBIllW.
    Sep 6, 2001
    OMIGOD!! This film is the best ever!!
  35. ChristiH.
    Jan 11, 2002
    I thought this movie was beautifully directed. The cast was outstanding. You immediately fell in love with the characters.
  36. RezaG.M.
    Jan 14, 2002
    One of the best films I?ve ever seen.
  37. KryssyF.
    Oct 15, 2002
    This movie is awesome!
  38. DianaC.
    Oct 20, 2002
    It's the most WONDERFUL movir I've ever seen and the best songs I've ever heard. And above all things, Christian (not Ewan) is the most BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT man I've ever known.
  39. LindseyB.
    Jan 27, 2002
    This movie touched my heart and soul in a way I never imagined!! I was focused on every second! I saw it, and went out and bought it a week later!! (yesterday 1/27/02) .:sigh:. I'm in love!!
  40. AnastasiaB.
    Jan 31, 2002
    Perfect! Just perfect! The music. The Dancing. The singing. The Actors. The story. The beginning. The ending. Just Perfect. Breathtaking.
  41. TroyP.
    Jan 3, 2002
    This is an ingenius movie from the mind Baz Luhrmann. The whole idea of the 19th century setting and the 20th century style of music. It is a fabulous love story, great comedy, and an awsome and rare musical. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman light up the screen when they are together whether it be when they are singing or talking. The songs are catchy, creative, and very well placed in the This is an ingenius movie from the mind Baz Luhrmann. The whole idea of the 19th century setting and the 20th century style of music. It is a fabulous love story, great comedy, and an awsome and rare musical. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman light up the screen when they are together whether it be when they are singing or talking. The songs are catchy, creative, and very well placed in the movie. I really enjoyed watching this movie twice in theaters and I found it a nice way to spend $10 of my money. Expand
  42. JaneN.
    Jan 4, 2002
    I believe this movie to the best modern/surreal musical to ever hit the theaters. The leads give outstanding songs and prerformances.
  43. SaraK.
    Jan 5, 2002
    So I don't have any intelligent movie criticism. All I can say is I absolutely fell in love with the whole cast of Moulin Rouge. I saw it six times in the theatre. I got lost in the romance and the jealousy drove me mad. It is the best movie I have ever seen.
  44. AliT.
    Jan 9, 2002
    I loved the movie. And if you haven't seen it you should. The cast was great and the director was brilliant. And I hope that everyone liked it.
  45. BillJ.
    Feb 11, 2002
    Good, solid movie, with excellent screenplay, if a bit of an overdone plot. Should win an award for best cinematic acid trip of the year.
  46. K.C.
    Feb 14, 2002
    It's hard to know what to say about this movie, but a few words come to mind: Breathtaking, fanciful, pure delight, you get the idea. My husband and I both feel the same way. The movie was outstandingly spectacular. The actors are to be commended for their musical performances, WOW, what a surprise! Ewan McGregor and Nichole Kidman can actually sing, and well. It is obvious that they It's hard to know what to say about this movie, but a few words come to mind: Breathtaking, fanciful, pure delight, you get the idea. My husband and I both feel the same way. The movie was outstandingly spectacular. The actors are to be commended for their musical performances, WOW, what a surprise! Ewan McGregor and Nichole Kidman can actually sing, and well. It is obvious that they put enormous amounts of musical work into their performances. I've done musicals, I know what kind of work that involves. I was so surprised by this movie, I had to watch it about 9 times in 3 days. I still can't get the songs out of my head. That to me is the sign of a great musical. Ewan, please do another... Expand
  47. Supergirl
    Feb 16, 2002
    This is the most original movie I have ever seen. It is so alive you can't help but love it... unless you can't get over its downright weirdness. Nicole Kidman and Ewan MacGregor make very convincing doomed lovers, and their voices mesh very well. All in all, the best movie of all time.
  48. LukeA.
    Feb 27, 2002
    I loved it.
  49. LexieM.
    Feb 3, 2002
    I have never seen a more amazing movie in my life. Nicole Kidman's voice was absolutely stunning and Ewan McGregor shocked everyone with his acting talents. I have seen it six times and am planning on many more. Good job Baz Luhrmann for creating my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE!
  50. Kelly
    Mar 11, 2002
    A great musical. Nicole Kidman and McGregor should pursue musical careers. Great acting and cinematography, although it is a tragic love story there are great qualities. I don't see how anyone can truthfully say they hated this movie.
  51. Elena
    Mar 15, 2002
    Breathtaking! I loved it.
  52. Aura
    Mar 18, 2002
    I like it very much, it's a little bit similar to "Shakespeare in Love," a writer, an impossible love, but is better. In my opinion, this movie makes people dream... how wonderful life is with someone to love and loves you in return.
  53. Jenn
    Mar 18, 2002
    I've noticed only guys rate it low (except for one). But before they go on about how much it "sucks" they should look past the music, and realize it's a story about love. And, since a lot of girls love this movie, they should suck it up and deal with it. Love is what wins you over with the ladies, guys, learn it. Live it. Love it.
  54. ConstableEchelon
    Mar 18, 2002
    Absolutely 100% camp, it divides viewers immediately. You have to let this movie do it to you. If you hated it, the film wasn't for you. It's a little smarter than you, a little younger than you, and yearning to feel love more than you! This should be a cult classic forever.
  55. LaurenD.
    Mar 20, 2002
    This is one of those movies where you either love it or hate it, I LOVED it. As for those who didn't like it they should at least appreciate it. I'm the biggest Baz Luhrman fan and this is his best one yet!
  56. CarolineW.
    Mar 25, 2002
    Moulin Rouge never gets boring with it's music, dance, and costumes. They tried something daring and it worked. Moulin Rouge will become a modern day classic.
  57. BrittanyW.
    Mar 28, 2002
    I love this movie! The costumes, the story, Ewan Macgregor singing! Nuff said! I loved it! And still do! Wonderful movie. I quote it all the time!
  58. KristenB.
    Mar 3, 2002
    Kidman and McGregor are a good team throughout this movie.
  59. CourtneyS.
    Mar 7, 2002
    Romantic, great, perfect, the best film ever, sad, great songs, I love the elephant love song, the movie to die for.
  60. MonicaDelaV.
    Apr 18, 2002
    I love it!!! Ewan McGregor is the best!!! And Nicole Kidman's role was great!!!
  61. JohnL.
    Apr 24, 2002
    This film is ace!!! Ewan is fab and so is nicole.
  62. KatieJ.
    Apr 27, 2002
    I am soooooo obsessed! I've memorized every line and I continue to love it more and more!
  63. Stephanie
    Apr 28, 2002
    The first time I saw this movie, I found it very bizarre and dark. I actually hated it, but after I slept on it and saw it second time I really found the meaning of this movie. It is a truly beautiful movie and makes a very good point! I recommend seeing it mutiple times to get the real feel of it.
  64. MadsF.
    Apr 30, 2002
    It's great. I loved it. From start to finish I was totally spellbound. Really cracks me up but also makes me beal my eyes out. Real nice heterosexual love story :) And a truly amazing soundtrack. I'd recommend it to anyone with anything about them.
  65. TieshaM.
    Apr 8, 2002
    I was skeptical at first, but, then when I saw it, my jaw dropped!!! It really IS spectacular, spectacular!!!!
  66. MarcJ.
    May 21, 2002
    Everything is right about the movie. It brings fresh new sound to old songs, captivating story, deep characters. After watching it several times even the seemingly out of place special effects make sense.
  67. SaraS.
    May 23, 2002
    I completely fell in love. The music completely moved me. "The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."
  68. JillW.
    May 24, 2002
    This movie was wonderful in every possible way, a definite 10!
  69. NunoS.
    May 28, 2002
    It's an amazing film. It's the kind of film that reminds you of the power of love. Astonishing...Altough I've seen movies with better arguments, the musical arrangements and the ambience that's created boosts it up to one of my favorite movies of all time.
  70. ZandraZ.
    May 3, 2002
    Ewan is soooooooo hot, I wish that i was Nicole!!! I have seen Ewan in other movies but he has never been steaming like this! I also loved the music. It is my new Favorite!!
  71. Moon
    Jun 19, 2002
    It's a very good movie, like every Baz's movie. The actors are so good!!! And they've voices too "sparkling"!
  72. Justmythought
    Jul 13, 2002
    I loved the movie and the soundtrack. I liked how it made it seen real, I mean people don't just sing out of nowhere. The story was great and i thought it was amazing that all the singing was actualy the actors. I love the movie.
  73. Kat
    Jul 20, 2002
    This is my favorite movie of all time. ewan's adorable. nicole is gorgeous. and everything's so accurate really. I mean, with a fake story based on something real. It really was brilliant!
  74. RachealO.
    Jul 24, 2002
    I absolutely LOVED this movie as soon as I watched it I was hooked and I love the soundtrack. Ewan McGregor has an amazing voice and being a singer myself I've heard a lot of voices...he is brilliant!!!! Not to mention incredibly gorgeous. Nicole Kidman has got a great voice as well and the whole film is an emotional rollercoaster and left me sobbing at the end. And by my second I absolutely LOVED this movie as soon as I watched it I was hooked and I love the soundtrack. Ewan McGregor has an amazing voice and being a singer myself I've heard a lot of voices...he is brilliant!!!! Not to mention incredibly gorgeous. Nicole Kidman has got a great voice as well and the whole film is an emotional rollercoaster and left me sobbing at the end. And by my second viewing I knew all of the songs! Expand
  75. IlzeS.
    Jul 28, 2002
    This movie is very dynamic and musical. I loved it. Nicole Kidman's Satine and Ewan McGregor's Cristian are very beautiful. I think this movie is great film. I liked Kidman's and McGregor's voices.
  76. CinnamonFisher
    Jul 31, 2002
    Spellbinding, magical, fun, and tragic all rolled into one "Spectacular, Spectacular" film. I've seen it about 10 times and have not tired of it yet! Nicole Kidman is amazing; Ewan McGreggor is adorable. Love this film!
  77. IreneB.
    Aug 19, 2002
    A musical entertainment that touches hearts.. it made me cry to my heart's content.
  78. CloverR.
    Aug 21, 2002
    I thought it was the best movie i have ever seen. All the actors and actresses did an awesome job, especially Ewan and Nicole if you guys are reading this you are great and you pulled together the best movie i have ever seen in my life! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
  79. TrishaD.
    Aug 6, 2002
    I loved it. It was the best musical drama I've seen since West Side Story!
  80. KatK.
    Sep 27, 2002
    Everytime I see this movie I love it a little more. It is so powerful and full of emotion. I laugh and cry everytime I see it, and I always see something new. Anyone who didn't watch past the first 20 minutes is an idiot!
  81. BenW.
    Nov 1, 2003
    It started out absolutely fantastically, or, if you will, spectacular spectacular, with terrific acting, wonderful singing, and some of the most amazing set and costume design I had ever seen. Too bad it quickly plunged into tired melodrama, but it never seemed to lose it's zing. Watch it, definitely, but don't watch it expecting the Best Picture calibur film the Academy led you It started out absolutely fantastically, or, if you will, spectacular spectacular, with terrific acting, wonderful singing, and some of the most amazing set and costume design I had ever seen. Too bad it quickly plunged into tired melodrama, but it never seemed to lose it's zing. Watch it, definitely, but don't watch it expecting the Best Picture calibur film the Academy led you to believe this movie was. Expand
  82. HeidiK.
    Feb 22, 2003
    This movie was Spectacular! It touched and inspired me in ways I've never felt before. The music, storyline and actors were excellent. Ewan and Nicole performed beautifully together. I think I'm obsessed with Moulin Rouge, Montmartre and Bohemian Life.
  83. Layne
    Aug 7, 2003
    Nicole's powerhouse performance in this film is almost worthy enough to stand alongside her immeasurable performance in The Others. I can't praise her talent enough. To simply call her a wonderful actress would be a huge understatement. The movie is a good musical ressurection, but I'm sure Chicago may do better.
  84. KristiJ.
    Nov 9, 2008
    Wonderful movie, just a little dizzying at times.
  85. LisaB.
    Nov 26, 2001
    No question, the BEST film of the year! McGregor & Kidman were born for these roles. Don't listen to anyone, make up your own mind, but see it in the theatre with the best sound possible. PLEASE remember, don't take it seriously just go with it, you just may be surprised.
  86. DaraH.
    Nov 7, 2001
    I can't believe no one has said anything about this film's OBVIOUS, I think, relationship to G. Puccini's "La Boheme". I think this was an amazing idea, and if it was totally coincidental that the two have the same plot, characters and involve lots of singing, well that's just TOO strange. Come on, this could be the revival of the great music of the past two, three, I can't believe no one has said anything about this film's OBVIOUS, I think, relationship to G. Puccini's "La Boheme". I think this was an amazing idea, and if it was totally coincidental that the two have the same plot, characters and involve lots of singing, well that's just TOO strange. Come on, this could be the revival of the great music of the past two, three, five centuries. I think Moulin Rouge may elicit the development of a new genre, and a totally new movie experience. This isn't Broadway, folks, this is Puccini's La Boheme with a semi-modern twist... I'm ashamed at all the critics who fail to see the many parallels with this film that amazingly is trying something that no one else has done. Bravo! Expand
  87. OscarC.
    Oct 19, 2001
    This movie is excellent, I think that the musical adaptation is fabulous. Is that kind of movie that you will never forget.
  88. JamesF.
    Nov 9, 2001
    We both thought that it was SUPER!
  89. AnnekeP.
    Dec 15, 2001
    It's the most beautiful movie I have ever seen!! The movie is sooooo good!!!
  90. JohnS.
    Dec 27, 2001
    The depth and breadth of this movie is beyond description. Most critics seem to have failed to notice that this film is not about "love" as much as it is about "art". It is the ultimate celebrations of all that is THEATER! If you love art; be it movies, painting, dancing, fashion or music this film is a hit in all respects!
  91. ReubenD.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Literally takes your breath away. Dazzling, daring, must see in a theater!
  92. NaomiK.
    Aug 21, 2001
    I loved it. Wonderful, spectacular! And beautiful combination of happiness and grief. And the purity of Ewan McGregor's voice emphasizes this movie. I went to a theater 4 times!
  93. JessicaO.
    Aug 31, 2001
    This movie had to be the best I've seen in a long time. You leave the theater and you can't forget it, no matter how long ago you saw it. A spectacular spectrum of radiance. In other words, it was so good, I saw it twice! :)
  94. RyanM.
    Aug 31, 2001
    Dazzling new film by Baz Luhrmann director of "Romeo + Juliet" but his new masterpiece seems to be so brilliant, and possessed by such wondrous things, that it looks like he's changed in five years, changed tremendously.
  95. ErinR.
    Sep 19, 2001
    I think this may have been the most amazing movie I have ever seen. If people would just sit back and open their eyes and hearts, I don't see how anybody could not feel the same!
  96. JenniferG.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Loved it, just loved it!
  97. DavidK.
    Jan 15, 2002
    The most inspirational film I have had the opportunity to experience in years. I love every frame of the movie. I can't get enough of it. A masterpiece and I hope it is honored by all as I do.
  98. LauraK.
    Dec 5, 2002
    Fantastic! gripped me from the beginning. the symbolism diggs deep and makes you think.
  99. Katie
    Jan 25, 2002
    This was THE best movie that I have ever seen. I am partial to musicals because I love them and theater, but this was absolutely breathtaking. When I rented it, I watched it over and over again. Then since I loved it so much, I went out and bought it and the sound track when I had to return the rentals. I loved it!
  100. AlexH.
    Jan 27, 2002
    The best movie of the year. One of the best movies ever made.

It's the kind of flourish that makes you smile -- that makes you believe in the power of movies.
    McGregor, the movie's most engaging performer, is convincing enough to sell the mutual attraction. The "Trainspotting" star is usually playing some kind of freak, and this is a nice stretch for him.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    The film musical is at the moment an even more devitalized art form than the Broadway musical. But Moulin Rouge doesn't revive it. It only rearranges the bones.