Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 18, 2001
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 416 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeApr 5, 2016
"Moulin Rouge!" looks incredibly stupid and dumb... in a fashionably great way as possible. This makes dumb people look a lot smart with their movie-going experience.
SpangleFeb 8, 2015
Frenetic, over the top, and incredibly weird, Moulin Rouge! is a very good film directed by Baz Luhrmann who specializes in frenetic, over the top, and incredibly weird movies. With a very well done romantic element and very good musicalFrenetic, over the top, and incredibly weird, Moulin Rouge! is a very good film directed by Baz Luhrmann who specializes in frenetic, over the top, and incredibly weird movies. With a very well done romantic element and very good musical numbers, Moulin Rouge! avoids the traps that many "musicals" fall into and it makes all of the songs incredibly enjoyable, rather than leaving them with a feeling of being out of place and just unnecessary. Here, the songs are over the top as expected, but always enjoyable and always seemed to provide the most magical of movie moments found in this one. Ewan McGregor is great here (if what I saw online is true and he did do all of his singing, then wow am I impressed, he has an amazing voice), Nicole Kidman is very good too, as is John Leguizamo and the rest of the cast. This one is Baz Luhrmann at his very best and it shows. Expand
Compi24Apr 13, 2014
If only the solidly composed second half matched the frantic, haphazard, and nearly unwatchable antics of its first. "Moulin Rouge!," with its generally unoriginal soundtrack stylings and chaotic editing, is mostly style over substance.
csw12Apr 2, 2012
Moulin Rouge is and unbearably long movie that was so bad I rather sit around my house and stare at the walls. The music was absolutely terrible and I seriously can't say 1 good thing about the movie other than the fact I will never see it again.
Rox22Sep 15, 2013
To be blunt, this movie is stupid.

To be blunt, this movie is stupid.

But, also allot of fun. The sheer level if idiocy is like looking at an abstract painting come to life. It makes little sense, it's very colorful, and comes off like it is high class garbage (ie like most art.)

Overall:
This movie is the embodiment of the saying, "it's so bad that it's good." Every moment is one WTF moment after the next, yet you keep watching. Kind of like a car accident.
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Bom
smijatovAug 12, 2010
Moulin Rouge is definitely the best film I have ever seen! First of, I must applaud Baz Luhrmann's great vision and direction - it surely was superb! The technical aspect of the film is extraordinary: amazing film editing, breath-takingMoulin Rouge is definitely the best film I have ever seen! First of, I must applaud Baz Luhrmann's great vision and direction - it surely was superb! The technical aspect of the film is extraordinary: amazing film editing, breath-taking cinematography, perfect music and just overall an excellently made film. The actors, though, make the film what it is. Nicole Kidman is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT as Satine, and has become my favourite actress ever since I first watched this masterpiece. One of the best performances I've ever seen on-screen: she sings, she dances, she dies. Perfect summary. But it's also so much more! And Ewan McGregor - who would have thought he could sing like that??? Amazing voice and one just falls in love with him. The supporting cast is also brilliant, especially Jim Broadbent who deservingly took the BAFTA award home for 'Moulin Rouge.'

Overall, Moulin Rouge is an eye-candy film for people who truly believe in freedom, beauty, truth, and above all things - love.
J-ShapAug 25, 2011
Moulin Rouge is so contrived, so lame, so up-its-own-a**, and so insultingly unoriginal, it really does make Titanic look like Casablanca. The characters are written horribly, the story is absolute crap, and the movie seems to think it'sMoulin Rouge is so contrived, so lame, so up-its-own-a**, and so insultingly unoriginal, it really does make Titanic look like Casablanca. The characters are written horribly, the story is absolute crap, and the movie seems to think it's profound, and no, we are not at least able to enjoy the spectacle, because the movie is shot in such a way that the sets and costumes escape our vision as fleeting as possible. Let's imagine an incredibly shallow movie as a hollow eggshell covered in glitter. Now let's imagine self-importance and pretentiousness as a giant hand around the eggshell, pushing harder the more it believes the movie is spectacular. Do the math. Expand
CooterPatooterMar 3, 2012
They disguise how terrible the sets look by covering them up with an endless barrage of open-mouthed sweaty faces in extreme close-up. However, nothing can mask the god-awful squealing that passes as singing or the amateurish camerawork.
iamaniconMay 27, 2011
Truthfully, the best movie I have ever seen. In my entire life. WOW!
RodrigoBGCNov 18, 2011
Good as a musical, bad as a movie, the story is a little simply but its ok, is a good movie to have a good time, but the pint is that is has to be a love story and its too far of it
ZalJan 11, 2012
This movie is a complete and utter mess. The camerawork is all over the place, the singing isn't that good, the characters are very flat and have no depth whatsoever and the message about love is incredibly pretentious.
My biggest grip is
My biggest grip is with the message. This movie is supposedly about love. But we never really learn what love really means according to this movie. Saying the word "love" a bunch of times does not count as talking about it. Love is arguably the most complex emotion. It's something that should be talked about in great lengths. But this movie never tells us what love is. The type of love that is stressed is the love you have with a significant other. That's not to say that that isn't a type of love worth talking about, but that's not the only type of love there is. What about love for a family member or love for your friends? Even this wouldn't be a problem but the love between the two leads is spontaneous and is not that interesting.
The story itself is incredibly thin and worn out.
None of the characters are interesting or complex.
The camera can never sit still for five seconds.
For me, nothing about this movie worked. But it still gets a 1 because the costumes were nice and I cannot stop listening to "El Tango de Roxanne."
NKOASNov 17, 2012
By the end of the 90's, the musical movie was dead in the water. That all changed when a little mad man from down under named Baz Luhrman helmed his attempt at "An English Language Bollywood-style re-imagining of La Traviata usingBy the end of the 90's, the musical movie was dead in the water. That all changed when a little mad man from down under named Baz Luhrman helmed his attempt at "An English Language Bollywood-style re-imagining of La Traviata using contemporary songs". We expected a train wreck. What we got was one of the most original, striking, and heartbreaking romantic films of all time. Who doesn't still swoon when Christian sings "Your Song"? Expand
SparklinDiamondApr 27, 2014
This is my all-time favourite movie! I adore the fact that the whole movie is set around a love that can't really exist (kind of like Romeo and Juliet, i guess.) However, the songs are beautiful, the actors are amazing and the sets, sceneryThis is my all-time favourite movie! I adore the fact that the whole movie is set around a love that can't really exist (kind of like Romeo and Juliet, i guess.) However, the songs are beautiful, the actors are amazing and the sets, scenery and colours of the film are really luxurious. The theme is such a refreshing change, all about the Bohemian revolution and their beliefs of beauty, freedom, truth and love, overcoming everything. This movie is perfect. No faults from me! Expand
TargetF209Feb 8, 2011
Visually stunning and musically OTT, it may all be a bit much at times for some who aren't fully into either the romantic comedy or the musical genres. But for genre fans, it ticks every box and gives the target audience everything they askVisually stunning and musically OTT, it may all be a bit much at times for some who aren't fully into either the romantic comedy or the musical genres. But for genre fans, it ticks every box and gives the target audience everything they ask for by the bucket load. The only big downside, is McGregor and Kidman, two big stars used to promote the film, both of which can't really sing. If two unknowns who could sing were in the lead roles, it could have been a lot better. Expand
thatsmyrainbowMay 26, 2012
Moulin Rouge it's perfect. Why 66 points only?!!? God, It deserves more than that. The passion that it's seen by the way they sing their songs it's unbelievable. Ewan McGregor's work is excellent, and nicole's too. Their are perfect.
PaulWJan 19, 2014
One of my most-hated movies. Non-sensical. Anti-logical. Over-done. Pointless. Imbalanced. A visual orgy for people who do not like to think.
Like an acid trip while having the flu.
Tulips111Jan 13, 2013
After a decade long, Moulin Rouge is still one of my all -time favorite movies. I never get bored of watching it. Ewan's singing and performance is amazing, and I like his version of Your Song the most!
LukeA.Jul 14, 2001
I loved it.
AlexJan 3, 2006
It's by far the best movie that I've ever seen. The whole cast is perfect, Ewan McGregor in particular. He has the voice of an angel. The chemistry between each cast member is palpable...just amazing. Costumes, setting, plot, It's by far the best movie that I've ever seen. The whole cast is perfect, Ewan McGregor in particular. He has the voice of an angel. The chemistry between each cast member is palpable...just amazing. Costumes, setting, plot, script...everything was phenomenal. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
MadisonR.Dec 25, 2007
My all time favorite movie! It allows the watcher to feel as though he or she is actually in the night club. The anachronistic music allows the audience member to really feel the emotions that were experienced during the time that the club My all time favorite movie! It allows the watcher to feel as though he or she is actually in the night club. The anachronistic music allows the audience member to really feel the emotions that were experienced during the time that the club was at it's early 20th century high points. The characters are well thought out and deep, and unlike many musicals, it seems believable that these people really would just break out into song together. Everyone should watch this movie several times, because it does take getting used to the hyper activity that is the Moulin Rouge. Expand
BenA.Oct 15, 2001
The plot is, admittedly, nowhere near original. But hey, that wasn't what sold the movie for me. This is an incredible cinematic experience that leaves you breathless by the end. Excellent for fans of drama, romance, comedy, and The plot is, admittedly, nowhere near original. But hey, that wasn't what sold the movie for me. This is an incredible cinematic experience that leaves you breathless by the end. Excellent for fans of drama, romance, comedy, and musicals (or a light combination of all four)! Expand
ArnoW.Oct 2, 2001
A dream, a wonderful composition of music (the most powerful language used in the movie) and almost surrealistic photographic scenes. It balances between heaven and hell . A beautiful historical drama shown in a very special way.
NeilP.Oct 9, 2001
What crap! The people who made this movie should get out of Hollywood once in a while... It's bad enough that they substitute medleys for full musical numbers... but they use the WORST of pop music to do it. Oy, what a waste of time.
0 of 5 users found this helpful
JamieS.Feb 9, 2006
This movie combined the best of musical theatre and modern cinema. The p.d. technology and charming antiquity meet and blend beautifully in this piece. Kudos!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
JuanP.Jul 3, 2007
Fantastic film, great cast, great music. Nicole K. is spectacular spectacular.
NickiAug 20, 2007
I loved this movie it deserves way over a ten! It was so much fun to watch, I could watch it over and over again. Definetly is my favorite movie, the music, the acting, the costumes, everything was amazing and definetly worth your time!
GodyP.Aug 25, 2007
The best of 2001! A masterpiece!
C?hatT.Jul 31, 2008
The Best Thing You Will Ever Learn is to love and be loved in return... This movie will always be my best.
CARLDMay 30, 2009
I saw it--several times. I luv it! I bought it-DVD...where is Blu-Ray version?....stunning visual work....filmmakers art masterpiece....Not for the artistically deprived !...which may explain some bewildered comments.