Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: November 1, 2013
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 208 Ratings
WATCH NOW
unaipmeNov 9, 2013
A beautiful history combined with a marvelous cinematography and a really interesting point of view: The circumstances of life, parallel universes... The difference that different choices make in our lives. Worth watching.
grrrlgangApr 28, 2014
Seriously the best movie i have ever seen. At first the beginning is a bit weird but the farther you get through this movie the more freaking mind-blowing it is honestly probably my new favorite movie. By the end i was so captivated that iSeriously the best movie i have ever seen. At first the beginning is a bit weird but the farther you get through this movie the more freaking mind-blowing it is honestly probably my new favorite movie. By the end i was so captivated that i dreamt about the movie while i was sleeping. MUST SEE. Expand
JackValentineNov 6, 2013
An extremely interesting look into the act of making different decisions can change ones life.
Seeing all the possibilities unfold is the driving force behind "Mr.Nobody", and the variations of character development behind Leto's character is phenomenal.
Excellent.
ScreenagerNov 1, 2013
Mr Nobody is, for the record, my favourite film. Its a spiritual and philosophical journey of Nemo Nobody, a man who narrates his story to a journalist in the 22nd century as he approaches the final stage of life. His story concerns multipleMr Nobody is, for the record, my favourite film. Its a spiritual and philosophical journey of Nemo Nobody, a man who narrates his story to a journalist in the 22nd century as he approaches the final stage of life. His story concerns multiple lives based on the choices he makes throughout his life. It's an interesting concept, and it works extremely well; its beautifully filmed, has impressive performances (particularly from Jared Leto, who plays Nemo aged 35 and 118) and a delicate score by the director's late brother, the story whilst complex is both fascinating and thought-provoking. This is film-making at its finest. MASTERPIECE. Expand
cryhardhumorJan 30, 2015
Rarely do you get a film that is both so enjoyable and so moving. Mr. Nobody is slick, with a great story, great acting, great directing, and excellent writing. Jared Leto does a fantastic job, but the movie doesn't rely purely on his starRarely do you get a film that is both so enjoyable and so moving. Mr. Nobody is slick, with a great story, great acting, great directing, and excellent writing. Jared Leto does a fantastic job, but the movie doesn't rely purely on his star power. It moves along at lightning speed and drops you off at the end satisfied but at the same time wanting more.
Intelligent and heartfelt. 10/10
ShulginJun 14, 2014
This movie is not for every mood, but this is the best movie I have ever seen that fits a relaxed, but perceptive philosophical state in which one can focus more on things like love and interconnection in general rather than action (quickThis movie is not for every mood, but this is the best movie I have ever seen that fits a relaxed, but perceptive philosophical state in which one can focus more on things like love and interconnection in general rather than action (quick moving plots, suspense, violence and ostentatious sex).

Now I like your action movies as much as the next guy and love things like the Riddick movies and "adult" fare when my mind and mood matches those things. Nobody would not be a good pick, unless you have introverted friends or something, for watching socially- you need to watch it closely not be chatting, to catch how it all fits together, the little visual details, the slight changes from scene to scene etc. You also won't enjoy Nobody if you're using some sort of "action" oriented mood modifier like alcohol or cocaine. I first watched this on psychedelics and it fits that state of mind *perfectly*, however!

No movie is perfect for every state of mind, natural or extranaturall, so Nobody gets a 10/10 from me due to the fact that, for me, it is perfect for a state of mind. Other movies might be enjoyable, or even excellent for their respective moods, but it's very rare that I find something that at any point I can think it "perfect". I was thinking about it for weeks and had some related dreams! Just watched it sober and it still stands up.

You'll be most likely to agree with my opinion if you're someone that really likes to think about life and the big questions who likes to look at things from many angles. Nobody is a great meditation on meaning, love, and our collective existential ignorance. This is the first time I've taken the time to write a review of a movie anywhere on the net, so that says something as I've watched a lot of movies in a lot of different states of mind. Had to "correct" the critics with, to be nice, very "different" taste.
mishka1939Nov 30, 2013
This movie is a masterpiece no matter which way you look at it. It is weird, weird, weird and weird. Now I know those two statements may contradict each other, however, that is what the movie does and does it well. This movie is complex,This movie is a masterpiece no matter which way you look at it. It is weird, weird, weird and weird. Now I know those two statements may contradict each other, however, that is what the movie does and does it well. This movie is complex, focusing on the duration of the human life from the perspective of Nemo the man protagonist. (Nemo meaning "no body") The boy who never maid a choice.
Its fair to say that this is one of the best movies ever created and certainly is my favorite.
As I have mentioned it the world of "Mr Nobody" is complex, after watching the movie you will find yourself asking question which have no simple questions. THIS IS DEFINITELY A MUST SEE MOVIE!
AthanasiosTMar 7, 2014
Very good movie with interesting (if somewhat baffling at some points) plot. Really great directing, photography and acting (pretty good SFX too). Highly recommended !!
pannkakaaNov 5, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie i have seen in a while, i don't understand how some critics can give it 25 score and score twilight higher, that just show how incompetent some critics are. This movie was brilliant, it makes you wonder about life and what we could have done with different choices in our life, it really made me cry at one point. I guess you have to be in some state of mind to really appreciate this movie, for me it was beautiful. Expand
bob13bobJul 27, 2014
some very good cinematography paired with lazy writing with very little coherence, wrapping itself with arthouse editing and psuedo science philosophy; an extremely pretentious film. its a shame that that such good visuals are paired withsome very good cinematography paired with lazy writing with very little coherence, wrapping itself with arthouse editing and psuedo science philosophy; an extremely pretentious film. its a shame that that such good visuals are paired with bad writing.

Casting Leto a poor choice with such disjointed plots. He doesn’t have the charisma to pull you through this kind of story. If we compare this to films in a similar vein, The Fountain, Run Lola Run, or butterfly effect; its apparent how inferior it is. As Leto progresses the movie, his stoicis and aloofness just turns you off to giving a **** about what’s happening to him. Have you seen a less convincing father? Compared to the frenetic, emotional performance of Lola, her desperation sucks you through the movie. Its important to for the protagonist to draw the audience in to maintain tension and drama.

While this movie tries to pass itself off as something it’s not; interjecting itself with bill nye presentations throughout; it ironically is less logical and thought provoking than the “B” movie butterfly effect. Just one expample is the characters name Nemo Nobody, which the movie continuously hits your over the head with. They could’ve explained one time that Nemo means nobody. There’s reason why in 20,000 leagues, the name Nemo is used instead of “Nobody”. Nobody as a name is hokey and totally unconvincing.
AlphaBossApr 3, 2014
Unlike most time travel/future prophesy science fiction movies, this one does not tell you it's premise until very far into the movie(and when I say premise, an example of this is the things in Minority Report which tell the future, as thisUnlike most time travel/future prophesy science fiction movies, this one does not tell you it's premise until very far into the movie(and when I say premise, an example of this is the things in Minority Report which tell the future, as this is told to the audience early in the movie). The problem with this movie, is that it interacts with the audience, presenting itself in a way which expects it's audience to know the premise.
Telling the audience the premise(which should be constant or at least somewhat recognizable throughout) almost all the way through the movie, is not good plot development. It makes the audience feel like the whole first part of the movie was a wast of time!!
nebneb5813Mar 16, 2016
This movie is bad. It's just bad. Terrible. Awful. With an ending that preceded with a confusing storyline and a disastrous script to complement it. In this movie everything is plot line connected to another plot line. So much so that I feltThis movie is bad. It's just bad. Terrible. Awful. With an ending that preceded with a confusing storyline and a disastrous script to complement it. In this movie everything is plot line connected to another plot line. So much so that I felt very frustrated throughout the entire movie trying to keep it all straight, and trying to empathize with the characters in the movie while doing so. Expand
ba1anseJan 5, 2017
If you are looking for a pretentious movie that tries to dazzle you with all the fancy montage, visual effects, abstruse physics theory that is the latest sci-fi trend, then this is the movie to go to, so as you don't mind one thing -If you are looking for a pretentious movie that tries to dazzle you with all the fancy montage, visual effects, abstruse physics theory that is the latest sci-fi trend, then this is the movie to go to, so as you don't mind one thing - telling a good story, which is the least thing on the director's mind apparently. If you have seen any of those Wearable Art costumes, which are meant for anything but functioning as normal clothes, you get what this movie is about. At least Wearable Arts don't pretend to be clothes. Expand
allenkaczSep 22, 2015
My God what an awful confusing mess this movie is. The positive reviewers had to be on very strong drugs to like this thing. Two hours and eighteen minutes I can not get back, avoid at all costs!
RobertBroganOct 3, 2015
Mr. Nobody is a film I want to uprate since the visuals are lush and wonderful and I tend to enjoy cerebral / trippy movies. But I never got into the story. It felt wandering / meandering and did not feel like it was going anyplace. There isMr. Nobody is a film I want to uprate since the visuals are lush and wonderful and I tend to enjoy cerebral / trippy movies. But I never got into the story. It felt wandering / meandering and did not feel like it was going anyplace. There is an excellent film in there that is waiting for an editor to bring it into existence. Expand
katezoeApr 6, 2014
Must see movie. One of the most interesting and stimulating movies I have seen in a very long time. Jared Leto is amazing. I was thinking about the movie a week later. Extremely thought provoking.
SpangleApr 15, 2014
This one is absolutely crazy. Throughout, I could feel my brain exploding as I tried to grasp what was going on. However, once I had an idea (and that idea was later confirmed), everything made a little more sense, but even then, the endingThis one is absolutely crazy. Throughout, I could feel my brain exploding as I tried to grasp what was going on. However, once I had an idea (and that idea was later confirmed), everything made a little more sense, but even then, the ending is still completely open to interepretation. In many ways, that is what makes this film so successful. It is confusing as all get out, then it shows a little "hint" and then as that sinks in, you realize that that may not be the answer we were looking for. Ultimately, it is a film of decisions and how those decisions will change the course that our lives take. From a technical standpoint, the cinematography is great and Jaco Van Dormael is able to really create some interesting things with this film without question and really helps you to feel sympathy and happiness and then symapthy and then happiness over-and-over throughout the film.. On top of that, Jared Leto is great as always in the lead role.

In terms of negatives, the confusion is one of them. I love the confusion, but at times, it goes too far and you are left sitting there thinking "really?". On top of that, there are a few inconsistencies I noticed that disrupted the film slightly for me or left me more confused about the inclusion of a specific scene if it was not going to have an impact on other things. Other than that, I really enjoyed this film and it certainly makes you use your head.
StaticSpineNov 2, 2013
This is a movie about the multi variance of our universe, about the chances and the consequences. The main character Nemo is the most old man of living, he tells a story about his life, but most of the episodes contradict each other. TheThis is a movie about the multi variance of our universe, about the chances and the consequences. The main character Nemo is the most old man of living, he tells a story about his life, but most of the episodes contradict each other. The movie has a rather surrealistic feel and it has to be seen because it is very unusual and original. Expand
IACMar 9, 2015
What begins as a unique, interesting, and visually compelling piece devolves into rote romance that feels like a riff on The Time Traveler's Wife, leaving you wondering how the hell you wound up watching it. It is a typical love storyWhat begins as a unique, interesting, and visually compelling piece devolves into rote romance that feels like a riff on The Time Traveler's Wife, leaving you wondering how the hell you wound up watching it. It is a typical love story wrapped up in gorgeous packaging, with limited emotional impact. I give it points for the visuals and the initially ambitious intent, but only the first 23-30 minutes are original and interesting, and the rest, for all its convolutions, is pretty predictable. Expand
luizprigolAug 10, 2014
This movie is superb. It is just mind blowing. Great plot and acting, the soundtrack is awesome as well. One of the greatest movies I've ever seen, you can learn a lot from it.
googolendtimesFeb 14, 2015
Undoubtedly one of my favourite movies of all time, "Mr. Nobody" is a film like no other. It is a post-modernist sci-fi/fantasy epic that traverses philosophies, genres, timelines, and states of consciousness with reckless abandon andUndoubtedly one of my favourite movies of all time, "Mr. Nobody" is a film like no other. It is a post-modernist sci-fi/fantasy epic that traverses philosophies, genres, timelines, and states of consciousness with reckless abandon and frenetic energy. But it's not a nonsensical film, and the element of control it may have lacked in sloppier hands is there in full force. "Mr. Nobody" is in perfect control of the exclusive medium it has designed for itself. It knows exactly where it's going at every stage of its unique journey and this confidence in itself to pull off its complex and lofty is part of what makes it work so well. Of course what else makes it work is its mastery in every aspect of production and execution - the phenomenal lead performance of Jared Leto, rich visual imagination, and rhapsodic score. "Mr. Nobody" is a viewing experience I've never had before and surely will never have again from another film. I've never felt gratitude towards a filmmaker for making a film as I did towards Jaco Van Dormael for making this. Expand
RamakFeb 19, 2014
A great film, well written & well directed . .
funkonionJun 16, 2014
This was one of the most engaging and memorable pieces of cinema I've seen in long time. Movies are often formulaic, predictable and often insultingly dumbed-down. Boy howdy, this ain't that. Whoever this director is, he's made somethingThis was one of the most engaging and memorable pieces of cinema I've seen in long time. Movies are often formulaic, predictable and often insultingly dumbed-down. Boy howdy, this ain't that. Whoever this director is, he's made something that speaks to both heart and mind. If you're a film fan looking for a fresh, human story, this is certainly that. Expand
AvatarassDec 4, 2014
Citizen Kane of underrated movies, also one of the biggest mysteries seeing how this movie didn't see wide release, and only came out on home media in 2013.

Cinematography: great, lots of subtle hints on the story. Great sense of tone and mood.

Soundtrack: again, great, with great tie-ins to the story and to give subtle hints to the viewer about the story.

Story: one of the best stories I've seen a while, a bit tricky to follow, but in the end they pretty much spell it out for you, and then all the puzzle pieces fall in together and.... its better than sex. Similar to soundtrack and cinematography, the story and how much information we are giving underlines from what perspective the movie is being told.

Acting: all actors do amazing job, and are very well picked, anyone who has doubts about Jared Leto as an actor will change their mind after this movie.

A masterpiece. Simply the best movie I have ever seen. If you can appreciate cinematography beyond quality of CGI, you will fall in love with this movie. Beats heavy weights from 2000s like the Dark Knight by a mile.

Note that the home media version is the EXTENDED director's cut, which in my opinion was necessary, because the theatrical version felt a little bit as a sci-fi thriller. Where as now it's a drama, with sci-fi simply being a tool for story telling. The movie is quiet long, 2 hours 47 minutes.

10 out of 10, buy it, watch it, then watch it again. The more people know about this movie, the faster it can gain the acclaim it deserves.
MiracSpectacJul 26, 2014
Although somewhat confusing and seemingly off-track at times, Mr. Nobody accomplishes it's mission and pulls together for a big finish. It makes it pretty obvious the movie is about possibilities in life from the start, but for some reason itAlthough somewhat confusing and seemingly off-track at times, Mr. Nobody accomplishes it's mission and pulls together for a big finish. It makes it pretty obvious the movie is about possibilities in life from the start, but for some reason it just twists your mind along the way. This is a pretty decent negative, hence the 9 points instead of 10. I mean, I'm pretty good at following plots, but even I was getting a little twisted here and there. However, I don't really feel this is a huge plot blunder. It is hard to pull something like this off and not get some confusion, but it could've been arranged a bit better. Regardless, Mr. Nobody will having you crying, smiling, and most importantly, thinking. I just love movies that make you think, and while the concept of the many different possible roads in life may not be revolutionary for philosophy, some visual aid and drama to put things in perspective is appreciated. Overall, loved this movie, highly recommended if you can appreciate, and follow, a complex plot with philosophical meaning. Expand
SushiStonerAug 15, 2014
Despite the time lapse photography this was a success. Mr. Nobody creates a depth of curiosity in this genuine sci-fi drama that expresses life and love in multiple aspects.
hugom31Nov 1, 2014
This movie is so beautiful, everything is perfect, maybe a bit confusing but that's still interesting and the end of this movie is fantastic, the ending is perfect! I recommend this movie, for me it's one of the best sci-fi movies to me.
LaraRNov 18, 2015
I wasn't exactly mind-blown. Visually, it was amazing but the way they executed the concept just didn't enthral me. The only mortal man on Earth? Angels of oblivion? If they toned it down a bit, I think it would have made more impact.

Kind

Kind of irritated the female characters weren't given enough personality to be likeable. Why did he fall in love with Anna or Elise? Why was Anna his one true love? Pretty sure there was more to her, right?

Jared Leto's acting was pretty good, but his character just felt bland. The only thing keeping him interesting was his ability to see the future and the 118 year old version of him . Take that away, nothing. His life basically just evolved around the women he met for the majority of the film. Although, I actually felt more drawn to him when he was with Jean, too bad it was the storyline they least focused on.

It wasn't absolutely horrible, but I just didn't feel satisfied about it as I could have been.
FilmQueenOct 29, 2015
I absolutely adore this movie! I think it's a masterpiece and it's quite sad that many viewers,critics do not see how well done it is. It combines multiple beautiful stories and is full of meaning. You might need some sort of life experienceI absolutely adore this movie! I think it's a masterpiece and it's quite sad that many viewers,critics do not see how well done it is. It combines multiple beautiful stories and is full of meaning. You might need some sort of life experience and/or open-mindedness to fully understand and appreciate it, but it's though-provoking to every generation. In addition the cinematography is beautiful, the music is also great and they create a perfect atmosphere. The editing is also well done,so it's not difficult to follow the multiple stories. Expand
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
Audiovisually, the movie reminded me of Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire", Tarsem Singh's "The Fall", Sean Ellis's "Cashback", Vincenzo Natali's "Cypher" and even Alex Proyas's "Dark City". The use of colors, music, camera angles and otherAudiovisually, the movie reminded me of Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire", Tarsem Singh's "The Fall", Sean Ellis's "Cashback", Vincenzo Natali's "Cypher" and even Alex Proyas's "Dark City". The use of colors, music, camera angles and other audiovisual aspects are amazing, innovative and harmonious to say the least.

Emotionally, I can't think of a movie to have touched me since Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia" and Craig Brewer's "Black Snake Moan"... yet it remains fairly lighthearted most of the time.

Storywise, this movie takes elements from those same movies and mixes it with the parallel storytelling of Peter Howitt's "Sliding Doors". The themes are diverse, compelling, deep and imaginative.

All these elements combined leads to a wonderfully confusing surreal movie that feels warm and touching, inspiring and nostalgic. The only problem I have with the movie is that it's a bit too confusing in some areas and that it tries to take on so many different themes it seems a bit too much for a single movie... but I can't deduct more than a single point from a maximum rating because IMO everything else about this movie is simply perfect....

This movie should have gotten numerous awards.....
Mr_AlexMar 29, 2017
После просмотра я буквально влюбился в фильм. Сразу хочу предупредить, что фильм для любителя, и он для раздумий. Сразу хочу предупредить, что "Господин Никто" не массовое кино, это арт-хаус, но это никогда не было нареканием. Каждая мелочьПосле просмотра я буквально влюбился в фильм. Сразу хочу предупредить, что фильм для любителя, и он для раздумий. Сразу хочу предупредить, что "Господин Никто" не массовое кино, это арт-хаус, но это никогда не было нареканием. Каждая мелочь на своём месте и делает то, что для неё было задумано. Режиссёрская работа просто великолепна! Приведу пример: в детских воспоминаниях нам в одном кадре показали трёх девочек. Анна была в красном, Элизиа была в синем а Джина была в жёлтом. И все последующие "ответвления" в прошлом главного героя будет в данной цветовой гамме. То есть, когда он будет с Анной, всё будет иметь красный оттенок и так далее (это может быть спойлером, но если присмотреться, то поезд на котором уезжает мать главного героя тоже наполовину красный, что символизирует его утрату в других "ответвлениях" и придаёт атмосферы этому кадру). И что самое главное, всё действие остаётся логичным несмотря на нарочно рваный монтаж. Актёрская игра хорошая, в некоторых местах она вызывает восторг. Операторская работа тоже на уровне, и иногда он может взять такие планы, что аж мурашки по коже. Саундтрек тоже хорош, особенно в момент выбора главного героя на вокзале, но бывают моменты, когда музыки настолько много, что это вызывает отторжение. К счастью таких моментов очень мало.
В целом, эмоции от этого фильма остаются крайне положительные. Очень жаль, что он провалился в прокате. Из-за таких фильмов ты понимаешь, что кинематограф - это искусство!
exulansisJun 2, 2016
More I read the bad reviews about this movie and more I understand how people are becoming so lazy thinkers and so narrow minded. This is a movie of experimentation and it is also considered a cult because of his innovation. I believe all thiMore I read the bad reviews about this movie and more I understand how people are becoming so lazy thinkers and so narrow minded. This is a movie of experimentation and it is also considered a cult because of his innovation. I believe all thi people who gave bad reviews are not even cultured and do not even know one psychological writing and the use of the stream of consciousness.
People need to learn that when they do not understand something is not necessarily bad but maybe is just a problem of a deficiency.
And the, I'm sorry for my English but I'm Italian so, in your ignorance, I hope you guys won't grammar-nazi me.
GlimikJul 17, 2016
This is the best film i have ever seen since Brazil, from the beginning it projected me in its unknown, fascinating universe with a never ending high pitched chills train. If you think is important ask yourself "Why am i here?" or you thinkThis is the best film i have ever seen since Brazil, from the beginning it projected me in its unknown, fascinating universe with a never ending high pitched chills train. If you think is important ask yourself "Why am i here?" or you think everything is connected, you definitely need to see this.10/10 Expand
VelumuMar 13, 2017
To me, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The acting is amazingly good, the story makes you think and days to months to a year after I've watched it the first time I still go back to it. I see why some people may have negativeTo me, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The acting is amazingly good, the story makes you think and days to months to a year after I've watched it the first time I still go back to it. I see why some people may have negative opinions about this movie but I can get past the negatives, and most of the negatives I don't agree with. Try this movie out, you will either love it (most likely) think it's meh or hate it. Expand
PATRICKBAETA7May 8, 2017
I loved how it talks about our many "myselves". Each life he lives in differents dimentions gets us blown mind. I recomend everybody smart to watch this movie.